Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

So a big prang in Club Marine Range Div 2 last weekend and no reports?

One boat almost totalled and two crew in the water, one crew sailed to shore with suspected hypo.

Hope neither are insured with the regatta sponsor for their sakes.

Not a bloody thing, but I thought the fenders being left out for so long was worthy of being put on SA

All too common sight these days. No fender etiquette. Shameful! That particular boat has been know to complete an entire twilight race with the fenders over the side.

One boat almost totalled and two crew in the water, one crew sailed to shore with suspected hypo.

Hearing that both are CM insured. Immersed sailors apparently all OK. Bear was seen at Sandy Bar with his wing in a sling the next day. Almost totalled is a bit strong. CCs blue boat has gone off to get her deck stuck back on and the top spreaders reattached, nary a scratch on Sporty. Stories around it was all caused by erratic helming of a third boat involved? Didn't see it but like most out there on the day, heard the big bang and saw the aftermath. Could have been a lot worse. Shit happens. Care to chime in Stumpy?

Which boats were involved?

Which boats were involved?

Fuck off N00B!

I am sure any number of us could give you the information you seek. There is however, one small impediment to the revelation of that information, that being the Number 1 which appears under your Post Count. It is traditional here thet new posters, known hereabouts as newbies or n00bs, post a photograph of their wifes or significant others breasts for all to see. Upon sighting such posting, the information you require, and possibly even more than you have asked for, will be forthcoming. Over to you sunshine...

Hearing that both are CM insured. Immersed sailors apparently all OK. Bear was seen at Sandy Bar with his wing in a sling the next day. Almost totalled is a bit strong. CCs blue boat has gone off to get her deck stuck back on and the top spreaders reattached, nary a scratch on Sporty. Stories around it was all caused by erratic helming of a third boat involved? Didn't see it but like most out there on the day, heard the big bang and saw the aftermath. Could have been a lot worse. Shit happens. Care to chime in Stumpy?

Well Bear can still hold a beer but it would have to be pretty life threatening if he could'nt.

For all those AM members transferring to CM, be afraid, very afraid.

Really, i can't believe anyone uses CM these days

Is there a back story to this? I have only had one claim - 5 or 6 years ago now, but I was very happy the way CM handled it. When my broker later tried to switch me away from CM I dropped the broker instead. I'm old fashioned enough to believe that loyalty is a 2-way street. My renewal is due soon and CM have asked for a survey in the next 12 months, but the last survey was prior to the claim, so for an 80's built boat that seems reasonable. I'm interested though about information from a much larger (and undoubtedly more sophisticated) sailing population.

And I can't cook for shit, don't fish and hate jetskis so missing out on the magazine would be survivable.

Cheers

R

Is there a back story to this? I have only had one claim - 5 or 6 years ago now, but I was very happy the way CM handled it. When my broker later tried to switch me away from CM I dropped the broker instead. I'm old fashioned enough to believe that loyalty is a 2-way street. My renewal is due soon and CM have asked for a survey in the next 12 months, but the last survey was prior to the claim, so for an 80's built boat that seems reasonable. I'm interested though about information from a much larger (and undoubtedly more sophisticated) sailing population.

And I can't cook for shit, don't fish and hate jetskis so missing out on the magazine would be survivable.

Cheers

R

Sophisticated - ha :lol:

Over the past ~8+ years, if you shopped around for insurance you would be hard-pressed to find a more expensive premium than CM. They were in some cases 30-50% more with similar terms.

And they wont insure you for any offshore stuff either. Just an upfront NO.

Apart from that, nothing wrong with em. (though i haven't checked for a few years)

And who's AM SYCFCC ?

Cheers

R

Over the past ~8+ years, if you shopped around for insurance you would be hard-pressed to find a more expensive premium than CM. They were in some cases 30-50% more with similar terms.

Apart from that, nothing wrong with em. (though i haven't checked for a few years)

And who's AM SYCFCC ?

Marine Insurance is all about quality of cover provided and not necessarily related to the quantum of the premium charged. (We insure ships - not with CM... and among my colleagues here, several yachts) Never had any problems with CM with regard to yachts; they charge a reasonable premium for a superior product in this local market. They are also a MAJOR sponsor of YOUR yacht club DC, from the junior sail training right through to keelboat level.

Not to mention their ongoing sponsorship of the Club Marine (Range) series, providing the best racing on this particular pond and without which I would suggest, it wouldn't happen. Their ongoing and significant support of the sport over the years is undeniable.

And who's AM SYCFCC ?

I've had a couple of bad experiences with insurance companies - I'll happily pay more in premiums to avoid certain companies. To me the premium is an operating cost, lost money. The important thing is what happens if you are unlucky enough to have a claim. When I had the boat claim, the loss assessor came to the boatyard and said "If Ray XX did this work on your boat last year - we know it was done properly. If Ray XX says you now need this work done as a claim - that's good enough for us. I'm just here to make sure we're not paying for your maintenance". He went aboard for 5 minutes, came back and said "consider it approved - you can start the repairs".

Last year I was with a mate on his newly launched $1/2 mil cat and the mast buckled and came down in a squall. As a mast builder in a previous life, I gave the insurance company (not CM) a statement and analysis of the reason for the failure. I offered to swear the statement on oath. We had 2 naval architects give statements in support. The company stalled. Finally in order to get re-rigged for an overseas cruise, my mate took out a loan and ordered the new rig. We put it together ourselves (with a significant saving) and made the cruise (just). About 9 months after the dismasting and after threats of legal action, the insurance paid up - less the savings from the quoted price as a result of us doing much of the work - they probably saved $15K on the payout. And we were uninsured on the whole cruise because we were outside Australian waters for part of it. Their premium was less than CM quoted, but I don't think they'll get a lot of business in Darwin from now on - it's a small place!

Yeah - who's AM?

Yeah. But they still wont cover offshore.

That comes down to a simple risk analysis, surely the basis of all insurance. I wouldn't offer offshore cover these days if I was in their business. Way too many under experienced fuckwits going there in inadequately prepped boats. You probably couldn't get insurance to ride a barrel over Niagara falls either.

When I bought my last boat I went to CM as all my other stuff has been and was through them. During the phone call to CM they put me through to the underrighters who pretty straight forward just said no, when I said in that case I will take all my other stuff away as well they just said ok and hung up.

I now don't have anything with CM

Most in our neck of the woods would not touch CM unless they could help it (seem to be more interested in powerboats) - we use NM and their premium was half of CM's and it includes all offshore for a nominal additional premium. They are ex CM staff.

Several large claims with CM down here and settlements took ages, in one case with the other boat also insured by them and a Protest Hearing in their favour they took several years!

AM (Associated Marine) no longer doing boats unless they are over $5mill!

CM - Not a fan. Have had several claims declined. (I’ve been doing boat insurance for 20 years)

One claim was on a 50+ foot boat with sponsorship from Q. i.e. every single sail was Q and less than 12 months old.

When putting in a claim for a sail that was damaged, CM got a quote from a small single-man small suburban loft and said that was the max they would pay. Why would you even think of doing this.

In saying this, had a really good experience with a claim with CM in Sydney. Seems Sydney has better relationship (Noaks especially) with CM

Also, CM will do offshore. They are the only ones who will offer M2H on boats valued $1.5m+ Also oone M2V which is blue water so whoever said they don’t is wrong.

FYI, be considerate to CM. they got smashed with Cyclone Yasi. I understand they insured 99% of Port HInchinbrook.

NM (Nautilus Marine) - Good choice - However some brokers will have better relationships than dealing direct.

e.g. I have been able to do a carbon sports boat with NM; whereas dealing direct you won’t have a chance. It's just a relationship thing.

Other options are:

- Trident Marine Underwriting - Perth based and using Lloyds as support.

- QBE - Good for late model general boats and local racing. Can get expensive.

Happy to assist anyone with boat insurance issues or point them in the right direction.

I'm a broker, indepentant of any insurer and I sail so at least you will be speaking to someone who knows something about boats, particularly raceboats. Message me.

Say you read SA and i'll drop my fee, maybe offer a discount.

NM were the insurers for the cat mast issue. Unimpressed doesn't describe it. A friend who is in the insurance game in a big way told me they were ex CM peeps and opined they were charging too little to remain viable. He also reckoned they acted unconscionably in our matter and did themselves no favours in the Territory market. He even tried to intervene, but unsuccesfully. I don't think he's steering his clients toward NM.

This thread sucks.

And we wish your Mom had too...

AM (Associated Marine) no longer doing boats unless they are over $5mill!

CM - Not a fan. Have had several claims declined. (I've been doing boat insurance for 20 years)

One claim was on a 50+ foot boat with sponsorship from Q. i.e. every single sail was Q and less than 12 months old.

When putting in a claim for a sail that was damaged, CM got a quote from a small single-man small suburban loft and said that was the max they would pay. Why would you even think of doing this.

In saying this, had a really good experience with a claim with CM in Sydney. Seems Sydney has better relationship (Noaks especially) with CM

Also, CM will do offshore. They are the only ones who will offer M2H on boats valued $1.5m+ Also oone M2V which is blue water so whoever said they don't is wrong.

FYI, be considerate to CM. they got smashed with Cyclone Yasi. I understand they insured 99% of Port HInchinbrook.

NM (Nautilus Marine) - Good choice - However some brokers will have better relationships than dealing direct.

e.g. I have been able to do a carbon sports boat with NM; whereas dealing direct you won't have a chance. It's just a relationship thing.

Other options are:

- Trident Marine Underwriting - Perth based and using Lloyds as support.

- QBE - Good for late model general boats and local racing. Can get expensive.

Happy to assist anyone with boat insurance issues or point them in the right direction.

I'm a broker, indepentant of any insurer and I sail so at least you will be speaking to someone who knows something about boats, particularly raceboats. Message me.

Say you read SA and i'll drop my fee, maybe offer a discount.

I'm surprised that AM policy holders in most cases don't seem to be aware they are being handpassed to CM, at least those I spoke to didn't.

Agree with your comments regards CM and assume you are not a fan of the Victorian office, niether am I for reasons I won't go into.

Thoughts on RACV as it seems some locals use them? (house and contents + cars + yacht rolled into one deal)

I've been insured with AM for the last 7 years initialy as they where they only ones I could get to cover transport of a strip planked yacht, was previously with CM with other boat, was notified they would not be offering cover this renewal after insisting on a survey last year.

Contacted CM, offered less cover on lower value for $700 more than AM premium last year.

Will be chasing other quotes this week .

Agree

IMHO it's not just the premium that sets the value, also the dispute resolution process.

Beware of statements such as "If any of our services fail to meet your expectataions, we invite you to"

This thread sucks.

Thanks so much for that quality contribution. Be sure to come back and visit us real soon.

This is a site from the US. Perhaps you have confused it with an Aussie site......

This thread sucks.

Thanks so much for that quality contribution. Be sure to come back and visit us real soon.

This is a site from the US. Perhaps you have confused it with an Aussie site......

This is a thread about sailing in Melbourne. That's in Australia. Outside of the range of your comprehension.

This thread sucks.

Fuck off toe rag.

• 2 weeks later...

do they still run the association cup down in melbourne?

Damn right! Here in Melbourne we have been running the Association Cup down for a number of years :P

It's a complete waste of time fought out by the cheater raters from RYCV and the Big Money boats from SYC. Apart from the glory hunters at RYCV who have been more successful in recent years, no one here could give a fat rats arse about what once used to be a prestigious multi-club event.

I am taking my lady to Port Douglas for a dirty weekend. Hopefully I won't hear anything about the Ass Ociation Cup up there.

do they still run the association cup down in melbourne?

Yep, this weekend.

Here are the RYCV teams as follows:

IRC

Executive Decision - G. Botica

Top Gun - M. Peters

Surprise - D. Ellis

AMS

Chutzpah 38 - B.Taylor

Swordfish Trombone - T. Olding

Toecutter II - R. Hick

Managed to get a RGYC team together this year, see you Sunday!

Was there a spare Shogun lying around...? :ph34r:

running it this weekend ? Thats an overstatement. A one day rush now................

Fuck that

Did I hear right? No Brighton team at all this year? Faark!

running it this weekend ? Thats an overstatement. A one day rush now................

Fuck that

Did I hear right? No Brighton team at all this year? Faark!

Be sure to keep us updated on taht.

Seems that AMS a wee bit more popular down Geelong way.

So five Teams AMS and four IRC (yet the Green Trophy goes to best performing boat in IRC)

Does that say somthing?

No Briiighhhton team indeed. Perhaps they're the first to recognise the futility.

At its peak this event used to attract 15 or more teams so no, they are not the first.

Seems that AMS a wee bit more popular down Geelong way.

So five Teams AMS and four IRC (yet the Green Trophy goes to best performing boat in IRC)

Does that say somthing?

It used to matter. :(

Again!

Alas! And as I said above; it used to matter.

12 boats in IRC and 15 boats in AMS. Not exactly a rousing success.

If RYCV "own" this event, they need to take some responsibility for its lack of popularity.

I can only presume there are no division splits per handicap system becuase the clubs didn't think they could field enough boats to do this. And yet the CM Range series has up to 80 starters each fortnight...

Quite sad.

Mex

Matching RP 52's against S 80's in the same division, never thought of that.

Put a fork in it.

Well here we are folks, half a week down the track from the Association Cup (Congrats to RYCV for retaining it) with zero press coverage (so it obviously doesn't matter a tinkers cuss to them), zero photo coverage (and we have some of the most active yacht snappers on the globe in Melbourne), not even the annual shitfight about it on this thread.

I think we can safely declare the patient dead or at the very least critically wounded and in urgent need of resuscitation. What can be done to revive interest in this once pinnacle event?

How about this - no yacht that sailed in the previous years event shall be eligible to sail in the next one. To apply to all teams, not just the winners. Then we might see some interest and test the real depth of competing teams. Flame away, but something has to be done before no one turns up at all.

Association Cup photos ?

Check the RYCV website, photos available, FOC, want them in high res? email the club, and still FOC !

Just as is done for the Lipton as well.

I think they might of got the header wrong. You click on Association Cup 2012 and you get photo's from a RYCV club race with the odd picture of other boats it seems sharing the same course marks.

Put a fork in it.

Well here we are folks, half a week down the track from the Association Cup (Congrats to RYCV for retaining it) with zero press coverage (so it obviously doesn't matter a tinkers cuss to them), zero photo coverage (and we have some of the most active yacht snappers on the globe in Melbourne), not even the annual shitfight about it on this thread.

I think we can safely declare the patient dead or at the very least critically wounded and in urgent need of resuscitation. What can be done to revive interest in this once pinnacle event?

How about this - no yacht that sailed in the previous years event shall be eligible to sail in the next one. To apply to all teams, not just the winners. Then we might see some interest and test the real depth of competing teams. Flame away, but something has to be done before no one turns up at all.

As I understand it the DOG allows the holder to set the paremeters for the racing anyway they wish.

Not much incentive for RYCV to change from current format and why would they.

Event is actually "owned" by YV but given they have no interest (much less understanding) of the event wouldn't hold my breath.

YV Keelboat Committee simply just goes along as has no influance at all.

So the onus seems to be on RYCV to update the event or let it die a slow and horrible death.

My 2c

1332489725[/url]' post='3640161']
1332278798[/url]' post='3635709']
1332142013[/url]' post='3632945']

Put a fork in it.

As I understand it the DOG allows the holder to set the paremeters for the racing anyway they wish.

Not much incentive for RYCV to change from current format and why would they.

Event is actually "owned" by YV but given they have no interest (much less understanding) of the event wouldn't hold my breath.

YV Keelboat Committee simply just goes along as has no influance at all.

So the onus seems to be on RYCV to update the event or let it die a slow and horrible death.

My 2c

RYCV have continued to make changes to the event to enable all clubs to field competitive teams. This year was quite straight forward: bring your best 3 IRC and best 3 AMS boats. 4 clubs fielded a full IRC and AMS team. Geelong were back with an AMS team and they had an IRC team which fell apart last minute. MYC and BYS will surely be able to return under this simple format and RBYC just had a bad year. It's a challenge trophy, so get on with it and field your best boats and crew!

PS: Surprise is still for sale......

• 2 weeks later...

CM Range Prang Update: Several weeks and two protest hearings after the event, a decision was handed down by the Chairman of a six (6!) man protest committee at SYC last night completely exonerating Sportscar and disqualifying the third boat found to have caused the unfortunate situation. Compelling evidence from a number of involved and independent witnesses brought about the long awaited decision. The cost of repairing the hull and rig of the damaged 11MOD Blue Chip is likely to be quite significant so someone's insurer won't be too thrilled with that outcome.

CM Range Prang Update: Several weeks and two protest hearings after the event, a decision was handed down by the Chairman of a six (6!) man protest committee at SYC last night completely exonerating Sportscar and disqualifying the third boat found to have caused the unfortunate situation. Compelling evidence from a number of involved and independent witnesses brought about the long awaited decision. The cost of repairing the hull and rig of the damaged 11MOD Blue Chip is likely to be quite significant so someone's insurer won't be too thrilled with that outcome.

Please keep us posted on any new developments...

Maybe the 11 owner may be relieved as the boat found at fault may well not be insured with CM.

Any idea why it took six people and six weeks to hear?

Right up there with FWA & the HSU.

Please keep us posted on any new developments...

You interested in something that happens outside the USA, or just taking the piss? How dare these guys from Melbourne (Victoria, Australia, not that town in Florida) comment on a "US sailing site,"?????

Maybe the 11 owner may be relieved as the boat found at fault may well not be insured with CM.

The wheels of justice turn slowly... but inexorably. Talked to one of the Protest panel tonight and he tells me the first protest did not include the third (offending) boat but once they heard all the evidence they determined they couldn't reach a proper finding without having that boat represented so they called another hearing and dsqd the offender. Some delays were due to certain parties being overseas etc. Not common but not unheard of either. As for why 6 good men and true -- safety in numbers? Don't know if it was a unanimous decision but then I didn't ask and it probs doesn't matter.

The wheels of justice turn slowly... but inexorably. Talked to one of the Protest panel tonight and he tells me the first protest did not include the third (offending) boat but once they heard all the evidence they determined they couldn't reach a proper finding without having that boat represented so they called another hearing and dsqd the offender. Some delays were due to certain parties being overseas etc. Not common but not unheard of either. As for why 6 good men and true -- safety in numbers? Don't know if it was a unanimous decision but then I didn't ask and it probs doesn't matter.

Good input.

The world awaits further news on this important matter.

You have to understand why DoRag is the way he is. In the past he's been plagued with girl problems. They always leave him for some foreign sailor. He goes and tracks them down usually in another country. Last time it didn't end well for Mr. DoRag. He went down to Brisbane searching once again. One night he drank well beyond his limit. He awoke in a back alley with his torn shorts around his neck and a sore ass. His body was graffitied in emoticons using various Sharpie colors. The tragic part of the story is that he no longer can produce any sound when he farts. Worst of all,barnyard animals now reject him. Certainly you can understand why he hates girls,foreigners,and emoticons.

Golf Clap !!

You have to understand why DoRag is the way he is. In the past he's been plagued with girl problems. They always leave him for some foreign sailor. He goes and tracks them down usually in another country. Last time it didn't end well for Mr. DoRag. He went down to Brisbane searching once again. One night he drank well beyond his limit. He awoke in a back alley with his torn shorts around his neck and a sore ass. His body was graffitied in emoticons using various Sharpie colors. The tragic part of the story is that he no longer can produce any sound when he farts. Worst of all,barnyard animals now reject him. Certainly you can understand why he hates girls,foreigners,and emoticons.

Golf Clap !!

+1

That would explain why someone so adamant that they hate foreigners spends time in a thread that is clearly nowhere near him.

Golf Clap !!

+1

That would explain why someone so adamant that they hate foreigners spends time in a thread that is clearly nowhere near him.

Could someone explain to me why Anarchists with relevant, meaningful and valid comment are being flicked off the site while this turd Dorag runs riot through any thread he likes with this sort of pointless shit? Wake up Scooter, Al or whoever actually runs this show and flick him outta here. This serial pest contributes precisely fuck all to any debate and denigrates the site by his very presence. :angry::angry::angry::angry::P

From the Herald Sun website. Glad to hear all safe and well.

SIX men were rescued when their yacht sunk off Port Campbell overnight.

The crew was plucked from the water shortly after midnight when their yacht Inceptioncame to grief in rough seas.

A search and rescue mission was launched after the crew made a mayday call for help whentheir vessel started taking on water seven nautical miles off Port Campbell.

The crew had been taking part in an ocean race between Queenscliff and Port Campbell.

Another yacht taking part in the race was directed to the area and came to theirrescue, with the entire crew plucked from the sea.

One member of the crew suffered mild hypothermia.

They were taken to Port Fairy for health assessment.

The crew was plucked from the water shortly after midnight when their yacht Inceptioncame to grief in rough seas.

A search and rescue mission was launched after the crew made a mayday call for help whentheir vessel started taking on water seven nautical miles off Port Campbell.

The crew had been taking part in an ocean race between Queenscliff and Port Campbell.

Another yacht taking part in the race was directed to the area and came to theirrescue, with the entire crew plucked from the sea.

Race to Port Campbell eh? Fun place to moor up after an ocean race, not!

Good to hear all rescued and OK. ORCV safety training works!

Boat was a Beneteau 50' :(

Race to Port Campbell eh? Fun place to moor up after an ocean race, not!

Good to hear all rescued and OK. ORCV safety training works!

Boat was a Beneteau 50' :(

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Very easy to lose a boat so I hope the owner doesn't feel bad, can happen to the best of us and the conditions were extreme on the shipwreck coast.

Love to know who picked them up, those people deserve a medal.

WHAT I KNOW.

Race was started at midnight Thursday with a moderate northerly airstream and a gale warning for a strong West to south westerly change passing Port Fairy about mid afternoon on Friday. Which is exactly what happened.

Around midnight on Friday conditions were appalling with 40+ knots and big swells. "Inception", a Beneteau 50, had lost its liferaft, washed overboard, and was taking water from an unidentified location forward. At about 1.30am boat sank, south of Port Campbell; all crew in the water, roped together by their tethers and EPIRBS activated.

"Trybooking.com" was closest and in a feat of great seamanship got all crew onto the boat and proceeded into Port fairy arriving at about 11.00am this morning. Al crew from "Inception" were taken to Warrnambool hospital suffering from hypothermia, but all were discharged by 6.00pm.

What amazed me is that "Trybooking" is an Elan 43 Impression, a high sided pilothouse cruiser complete with in mast furling and a bimini!! It does however have a reasonably large boarding platform at the stern with a folding "swim ladder". Apparently when the crew of Inception were located and corralled it was "relatively" easy to get them aboard.

More will come of this in days to come but the recovery of the crew of Inception was a minor miracle given the sea state, and was superb exhibition of seamanship by the crew of "Trybooking.com."

It was horrible out there, bloody scary. Winds were easily 60kts and reaching 70+ at times. The waves were vertical and we were struggling to get up them with motor flat out and storm jib.

Well done to the crew of TryBooking.

Now there is a brand that will always stick in my mind.

I was wondering why no liferaft - thanks Judge. Sounds like lucky on the Inception side and Well Done on TryBooking. Would like to hear more details on the communications - did the Inception crew set of PLB/EPIRB and then AMSA got in contact with TB? Or was it line of site / flare / etc., or a VHF mayday on 16?

Good to hear they are OK. It must have been a very tough few hours in the water.