Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

So Terra Firma sailed the Big Boat race? Repaired and ready to go to Hobart?

I believe the boat will be staying in Sydney in the short to medium term doing corporate outings.

So no trip south this year and unlikely to make an appearance in Geelong either.

Mex

Terra was back at SYC about a week before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Vote with your feet.. Whinging is the worst thing you can do..

If you don't like it, don't go.. Unfortunately regattas do cost money to run, hence entry fees being what they are..

As for them being high? I wonder what a regatta cost to enter in the 80's.. After inflation... What it equates to now? And that's without taking into account over inflated insurance premiums etc.

$700 isn't to high for an entry, maybe you just aren't getting the return you want, which would point to the steering committee of the regatta not doing a good job. Take the initiative and do a survey of past competitors, see what they want changed and submit it to the committee. Complaining here doesn't help. Except for scaring people off who may want to do the regatta, which seems like what you are aiming to do.

MSA, having sailed in 35 or so iterations of this event I believe I am coming from a slightly more qualified position than you. I have closely witnessed the evolution of the event since the late 60s and witnessed the more recent steady decline in value for money.The high by any standards series entry fee is just the start; its all the add-ons such as accomodation, food & drink that kill the deal for me. Price gouging in Geelong accomodation facilities is rife even to the extent that many hike their prices and then require a minimum booking of more nights than the duration of the event. Local restaurant and beverage prices mysteriously skyrocket overnight and the hand is out wherever you turn. It didn't used to be that way before the corporate involvement in the regatta when local businesses such as restaurants,motels, hotels, bars etc used to make us all welcome whereas now they see us merely as a captive cash cow.

Various organising entities and Committees, and there have been many at this regatta over the years, have, as you suggest, conducted participant surveys and called for sailor input. I have personally submitted my views on more than one occasion and I know well the views of very many others who have done the same. To the best of my knowledge nothing resulting in improvement in respect of what the customers (ie sailors) say they want at the regatta ever came of any of those surveys.

I have no intent to "scare off" would be participants here, I don't have that degree of influence anyway and as stated upthread, I really hope those who do go have a great time just I as I did on so many occasions. I am merely stating my own views as to why I no longer choose to support the event after having done so for decades. Make up your own minds people, Caveat Emptor.

Although not quite at 35, I am probably closer to 20 appearances and tend to agree with your comments. Love the racing component of this event, but it has become cost-prohibitive for us. Unlikely to see us there this year at this stage, although have to add that cost is only one factor in this decision.

With 3 days to go until the end of the "Early Bird" discount of $50 for the IRC Championships, there are 5 entrants on the website - of which 4 are Class A. Could this be an indication of people voting with their feet?

So at close of entries (excluding late fee entrants) the total number of entrants for Audi 2013 IRC Australian Championships at the Geelong Festival of Sails is a whopping 18 - down from around 27 in 2012 at Hamilton Island. Interestingly, of the 18 - only 9 are locals... the other half are interstate entrants. I guess this will be interpreted as a raging success (on percentage terms), given there is a focus on attracting interstate participants :blink:

Also, given divisional splits in NoR, fleet sizes could be: D1: 8; D2: 6; D3: 4.

Where are the local IRC participants (eg local Club Marine Series has >50 regular IRC participants) ?

Seems they are either: a) not going at all; b] racing in AMS/EHC event; or c) playing in the cruising event.

Where are the smaller IRC boats? Probably same answer as above, possibly driven by combination of the entry fee and the format/schedule of the event (?)

Does not look good for the future of this event.... particularly in Melbourne. I would think the sponsor could be a little disappointed? :(

Also interesting timing on the announcement of the prizes - one day prior to entries closing... a last-gasp attempt to generate interest perhaps?

If you don't like it, don't go.. Unfortunately regattas do cost money to run, hence entry fees being what they are..

As for them being high? I wonder what a regatta cost to enter in the 80's.. After inflation... What it equates to now? And that's without taking into account over inflated insurance premiums etc.

$700 isn't to high for an entry, maybe you just aren't getting the return you want, which would point to the steering committee of the regatta not doing a good job. Take the initiative and do a survey of past competitors, see what they want changed and submit it to the committee. Complaining here doesn't help. Except for scaring people off who may want to do the regatta, which seems like what you are aiming to do.

MSA, having sailed in 35 or so iterations of this event I believe I am coming from a slightly more qualified position than you. I have closely witnessed the evolution of the event since the late 60s and witnessed the more recent steady decline in value for money.The high by any standards series entry fee is just the start; its all the add-ons such as accomodation, food & drink that kill the deal for me. Price gouging in Geelong accomodation facilities is rife even to the extent that many hike their prices and then require a minimum booking of more nights than the duration of the event. Local restaurant and beverage prices mysteriously skyrocket overnight and the hand is out wherever you turn. It didn't used to be that way before the corporate involvement in the regatta when local businesses such as restaurants,motels, hotels, bars etc used to make us all welcome whereas now they see us merely as a captive cash cow.

Various organising entities and Committees, and there have been many at this regatta over the years, have, as you suggest, conducted participant surveys and called for sailor input. I have personally submitted my views on more than one occasion and I know well the views of very many others who have done the same. To the best of my knowledge nothing resulting in improvement in respect of what the customers (ie sailors) say they want at the regatta ever came of any of those surveys.

I have no intent to "scare off" would be participants here, I don't have that degree of influence anyway and as stated upthread, I really hope those who do go have a great time just I as I did on so many occasions. I am merely stating my own views as to why I no longer choose to support the event after having done so for decades. Make up your own minds people, Caveat Emptor.

Although not quite at 35, I am probably closer to 20 appearances and tend to agree with your comments. Love the racing component of this event, but it has become cost-prohibitive for us. Unlikely to see us there this year at this stage, although have to add that cost is only one factor in this decision.

With 3 days to go until the end of the "Early Bird" discount of $50 for the IRC Championships, there are 5 entrants on the website - of which 4 are Class A. Could this be an indication of people voting with their feet?

So at close of entries (excluding late fee entrants) the total number of entrants for Audi 2013 IRC Australian Championships at the Geelong Festival of Sails is a whopping 18 - down from around 27 in 2012 at Hamilton Island. Interestingly, of the 18 - only 9 are locals... the other half are interstate entrants. I guess this will be interpreted as a raging success (on percentage terms), given there is a focus on attracting interstate participants :blink:

Also, given divisional splits in NoR, fleet sizes could be: D1: 8; D2: 6; D3: 4.

Where are the local IRC participants (eg local Club Marine Series has >50 regular IRC participants) ?

Seems they are either: a) not going at all; b] racing in AMS/EHC event; or c) playing in the cruising event.

Where are the smaller IRC boats? Probably same answer as above, possibly driven by combination of the entry fee and the format/schedule of the event (?)

Does not look good for the future of this event.... particularly in Melbourne. I would think the sponsor could be a little disappointed? :(

Also interesting timing on the announcement of the prizes - one day prior to entries closing... a last-gasp attempt to generate interest perhaps?

Thanks for sharing that.

Or not.

WTF who cares about sailing in Mealborn?

Thanks for sharing that.

Or not.

WTF who cares about sailing in Mealborn?

The Editor of your US sailing site obviously cares about sailing downunder. Seen the front page lately?

Actually, he doesn't. Most of the mythical front crap is sent in by foreigners. So no one reads the front page. Simple.

Thanks for sharing that thought and for keeping Australian sailing threads at the top of your foreign forum. Keep it up.

I think it was 4 years ago I tried to enter in the cruising with spinnaker division, and was not able to. The boat is not a cruising boat. Just look at the numbers and variety of boats in that division this year.

I was going to enter that division this year for the passage race only. Why, because I was looking forward to testing Smooth Criminal against Ginger the MC38. But upon reading the SIs even that can't happen because the IRC boats are not competing in the passage race.

What a crock of steaming faecal matter!

I agree, how dare they!! I think the IRC fleet should immediately rescind their request to have their Australian Championships run from one venue merely for the sake of the logistics of moving support containers, crew accomodation etc. between two locations. So that Don can see how his performance handicap boat can sail against the IRC rated M38!! It beggars belief!!!

I think it was 4 years ago I tried to enter in the cruising with spinnaker division, and was not able to. The boat is not a cruising boat. Just look at the numbers and variety of boats in that division this year.

I was going to enter that division this year for the passage race only. Why, because I was looking forward to testing Smooth Criminal against Ginger the MC38. But upon reading the SIs even that can't happen because the IRC boats are not competing in the passage race.

What a crock of steaming faecal matter!

Yawn.

I agree, how dare they!! I think the IRC fleet should immediately rescind their request to have their Australian Championships run from one venue merely for the sake of the logistics of moving support containers, crew accomodation etc. between two locations. So that Don can see how his performance handicap boat can sail against the IRC rated M38!! It beggars belief!!!

Sarcasm? I gather you never want to sail against boats similar to yours. I expected better.

Let me try to explain this simply for you.

The Passage race has in the past always included ALL yachts competing at Geelong.

For this year they removed IRC fleet from the Passage race.

Outcome, I can't line my boat up against the most similar style yacht racing at Geelong.

My problem? Yes. I could always re-rate my boat for IRC - but for one race? I don't enjoy trying to compete in a 36 footer with an IRC rating of 1.2+.

Sarcasm? I gather you never want to sail against boats similar to yours. I expected better.

The Passage race has in the past always included ALL yachts competing at Geelong.

Outcome, I can't line my boat up against the most similar style yacht racing at Geelong.

My problem? Yes. I could always re-rate my boat for IRC - but for one race? I don't enjoy trying to compete in a 36 footer with an IRC rating of 1.2+.

And yet the Mc38 are willing to give it a try at a rating of 1.2+ and also come from interstate to do it. Maybe its too far from across the bay to get smoked

And yet the Mc38 are willing to give it a try at a rating of 1.2+ and also come from interstate to do it. Maybe its too far from across the bay to get smoked

I wish them luck.

I concur with you, but unfortunately the other boat wants to race in a different division to you! Not the regattas fault!

As a result of the National Championship being held and a request to hold all the racing at one venue which has been accomodated.

[/quote) If you want to race against other boats that are in different divisions, then you need to enter that division? If you choose not to then that is your decision and not some failing of the SI's. I agree you would love to race against Ginger but to expect the regatta structure to be be descibed as a pile of excretement for not allowing two boats in different classes to compete against each other on the same course is a bit bizarre!

You weren't far off, missed it by one.

Div1 = 7

Div 2 = 7

Div 3 = 4

https://www.topyachtsoftware.com/db/aus/entrants_display.php?SeriesID=1538&Task=ShowSeriesEntrants&EventID=222

You weren't far off, missed it by one.

Div1 = 7

Div 2 = 7

Div 3 = 4

https://www.topyacht...nts&EventID=222

Div 1 does look like it'll be tight.

Div 2 will be a tale of two fleets. B45s versus the race boats.

Why would you even bother turning up for Div 3?

I'll be interested to see how many boats turn up for Port Lincoln RW. Seems to be the preferred option these days (at least for all the absent Melbourne IRC boats).

Mex

Getting a first hand view of the Geelong long race from an Aframax tanker. Calm 2 and Shogun in a close battle ahead of the old Calm just ahead of Hooligan. Ikon then Reverie then Senna in Div 2. Equinox next - that's a nice looking boat but it can't match the 45's upwind. Ginger has a protest being lodged against her by Senna for not sailing the course correctly. The southerly has kicked in out here at about 25 knots so no surprise that ED is leading Div 3.

Can anyone who was at race week explain Hooligans kite in this photo. It looks like a mast head kite hoisted on a fractional halyard. Secret weapon or cluster fuck?

It was a reaching leg and they elected to fly a fractional spinnaker. Calm2 started the leg with a jib to gain some height and finished the leg with a kite. Shogun managed to hold a masthead kite for the whole leg and put a gap on the rest which probably won them the event.

Mex

Can anyone who was at race week explain Hooligans kite in this photo. It looks like a mast head kite hoisted on a fractional halyard. Secret weapon or cluster fuck?

It was a reaching leg and they elected to fly a fractional spinnaker. Calm2 started the leg with a jib to gain some height and finished the leg with a kite. Shogun managed to hold a masthead kite for the whole leg and put a gap on the rest which probably won them the event.

Mex

The reaching leg where they flew a fractional Zero, was the previous leg befor the gate and channel.

That photo was from the short leg to the finish, yep they screwed that one up.

I think they'd already worked out they'd lost the regatta to Shogun (on 3rd place countback mind you) by choosing the fractional zero on the long reach so probably didn't give a flying faaark.

We were too close to them for them to have a chance to get the 2nd place they needed.

Funny thing was that no one on Shogun even bothered to check the results after either race on Sunday, so they didn't realise they'd won until Nudge called Rob to congratulate him, Rob of course thought Nudge was being..., well Nudge and hung up on him!!

Wild Rose's real name is Wild Oats. It is one of Bob's old boats but Hicko calls it Wild Rose so as not to confuse.

Entries for the TPS are:-

Calm

Calm 2

Hooligan

Shogun V

Beau Geste

Scarlet Runner

Cougar 2

Frantic

What happened to Quest and Rags? Or is it just the usual Sydney line of "I could not be farked racing in Melbourne"?

Didn't think Scarlett was a TP - is this TP regatta open to any boat around that size ?

Scarlett is the exception in this list. Definitely not a TP52 but does rate approximately the same.

Given they are using an handicap system which accomodates build year I guess it's not that hard to manufacture one for Scarlett.

The more the merrier.

Mex

Interesting- sail world article today says that Scarlett has the same hull as Artemis: http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Of-52%27s,-Dalts-on-AC72%27s,-Vendee,-Kitesurfing-and-more/106323

"Seven of them are the famed Transpac 52s (TP52) and then there is one invited vessel, Rob Date’s Reichel-Pugh penned, Scarlet Runner. This particular craft shares her hull design with the TP, Artemis, which is another vessel of the class that so famously charges around the waters near some of the Mediterranean’s most glamorous ports."

Is that really the case? So is Scarlett like Georgia (And TNZ/Hooligan)- same hull as a "proper TP52" but with better accomodation & other small tweaks?

What boat is Beau Geste racing?

Pretty sure I read somewhere here that Karl Kwok bought Bribon, which was then chartered by the Yendys boys for Hammo last year ?

Is that the one that was on the hard at SYC recently? Had 'Team Beau Geste, Road Harbour HK' on the transom?

Interesting- sail world article today says that Scarlett has the same hull as Artemis: http://www.sail-worl...and-more/106323

"Seven of them are the famed Transpac 52s (TP52) and then there is one invited vessel, Rob Date’s Reichel-Pugh penned, Scarlet Runner. This particular craft shares her hull design with the TP, Artemis, which is another vessel of the class that so famously charges around the waters near some of the Mediterranean’s most glamorous ports."

Is that really the case? So is Scarlett like Georgia (And TNZ/Hooligan)- same hull as a "proper TP52" but with better accomodation & other small tweaks?

Rob Date decision to commision Reichel-Pugh for this design was a good one, but has all the build structural (delamination )issues been resolved? The latest generation TP52s appear to have an IRC rating advantage at the moment. The Southern Cross cup this weekend appears to have addressed this issue with a age rating allowance which will be interesting to see if it evens up the ratings?.

Interesting- sail world article today says that Scarlett has the same hull as Artemis: http://www.sail-worl...and-more/106323

Rob Date decision to commision Reichel-Pugh for this design was a good one, but has all the build structural (delamination )issues been resolved? The latest generation TP52s appear to have an IRC rating advantage at the moment. The Southern Cross cup this weekend appears to have addressed this issue with a age rating allowance which will be interesting to see if it evens up the ratings?.

The first couple of boats will get richer as the older slightly slower boats will be getting disturbed air up the beats. The age allowance better be healthy.

What boat is Beau Geste racing?

Pretty sure I read somewhere here that Karl Kwok bought Bribon, which was then chartered by the Yendys boys for Hammo last year ?

Beau Geste is ex Bribon and was originally Matador (2009) according to the list on the TP52 website.

Pretty hard to compare a regatta with 8 boats all worth circa $750k & with a fair proportion of paid hands, to a regatta with 300 boats mostly crewed by "weekend warriors"

In any case the "organisors", aka Newtack are responsible for both events.

Hats off to them, SYC & the competiters though - a good inititave & well run by all reports.

Cheers

Pretty hard to compare a regatta with 8 boats all worth circa $750k & with a fair proportion of paid hands, to a regatta with 300 boats mostly crewed by "weekend warriors"

Hats off to them, SYC & the competiters though - a good inititave & well run by all reports.

Cheers

Wasn't trying to compare the two regattas as you quite rightly pointed out they are poles apart. I was more making the point that the organisers listened to what the owners/sailors wanted and it happened and everyone was happy and it was an overwhelming success.

Cheers

New Tack are the event organisers for both Geelong and the Southern Cross Cup, you're correct. However, in neither case are they the decision makers. RGYC and the TP52 owners assoc determine the construct of their respective events. New Tack just make the events happen as requested.

You're barking up the wrong tree if you think New Tack decide what happens at the Festival of Sails. They make it happen and do a great job.

Interesting to see that Matador / Bribon / Beau Geste giving the new version TP52's a touch up. Probably helps that Gavin Brady was steering.

Great concept all round. Looking to get 10 boats for the April edition back at SYC. Likely to see the same numbers in Sydney for the two remaining events. Amazing to think that Key West regatta only had five boats on their start line.

Mex

With respect guys, the "organisers" listened to the needs of those extremely well heeled TP owners running a closed event for their own 8 boats. And yes it was a very well run and highly succesful regatta... for those 8 boats.

That is a very different proposition to listening or otherwise to the needs of owners of the average 4ksb that fronts up, or increasingly doesn't bother to front up anymore, for the Geelong event.

Now, if they could just apply the same degree of management expertise and attention to the needs of the stakeholders (boat owners) for the Geelong event then maybe there could even be a similar outcome for that regatta. But don't hold your breath...

With respect guys, the "organisers" listened to the needs of those extremely well heeled TP owners running a closed event for their own 8 boats. And yes it was a very well run and highly succesful regatta... for those 8 boats.

That is a very different proposition to listening or otherwise to the needs of owners of the average 4ksb that fronts up, or increasingly doesn't bother to front up anymore, for the Geelong event.

Now, if they could just apply the same degree of management expertise and attention to the needs of the stakeholders (boat owners) for the Geelong event then maybe there could even be a similar outcome for that regatta. But don't hold your breath...

To sumarise the complaints about the failings of the FoS regatta:

• cost of entry
  • cost of accom, food, drinks
  • Division splits
  • No passage race for IRC
  • Friday passage race on a work day and no racing on the Monday public holiday

Which of these do you see as being decided by the event organisers (New Tack)?

With respect, none of them. All of these points are determined by the organising authority (RGYC) who are influenced by their key stakeholders (eg. sponsors, Geelong city council, State Govt).

If anyone has a gripe with the cost and format of the FoS, you'll need to influence the club directly or indirectly through their key stakeholders.

Mex

• cost of entry
  • cost of accom, food, drinks
  • Division splits
  • No passage race for IRC
  • Friday passage race on a work day and no racing on the Monday public holiday

With respect, none of them. All of these points are determined by the organising authority (RGYC) who are influenced by their key stakeholders (eg. sponsors, Geelong city council, State Govt).

If anyone has a gripe with the cost and format of the FoS, you'll need to influence the club directly or indirectly through their key stakeholders.

Mex

First and last dot point, YA for the second last dot point, can hardly blame RGYC for second dot point outside of the venue

• 1. cost of entry --- see below

• 2. cost of accom, food, drinks--- accom beyond the control of RGYC, or the local council or the State Govt.

• 3. Division splits ---- what do you suggest?

• 4. No passage race for IRC --- Their choice

• 5. Friday passage race on a work day and no racing on the Monday public holiday --- So race down on the Saturday and don't come home on the Tuesday? Or jump off & leave the delivery back to somebody else?

Mex

post-75068-0-62860800-1360904517_thumb.jpg

Hey ????????, as a regatta event manager myself, is this pie chart an actual reference to FoS 2013? Do you have a chart for revenue?

We're dealing with an issue here with berthing but I am surprised that is 24% of the FoS costs having been there this year. Can you explain? PM would be fine if you don't want to share publicly.

Maybe I need to put this another way.

The Southern Cross Cup and the FoS both used New Tack as their regatta / event managers.

New Tack's client (ie. the entity who engage them to run their regatta / event) for the Southern Cross Cup are the local owners of TP52's. They make all the decisions about their regatta / event.

For the FoS, New Tack's client is the RGYC. New Tack's client is not the entrants to the regatta. This is where the similarities between the two events end. New Tack are following the direction of their client: RGYC.

To reiterate, if anyone has a gripe with the cost and format of the FoS, you'll need to influence the RGYC directly or indirectly through their key stakeholders (eg. the City of Greater Geelong, the sponsors and the State Government of Victoria). You're wasting your time blaming New Tack.

Mex

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us that are SYC members, make sure that you read the Notice of Motion for the upcoming ordinary general meeting on 19th March.

The proposal is to strip members of the right to stand for, or vote for, Flag Officer positions within the club. Flag Officers set the tone and direction of a club, and general committee is proposing that the power to appoint to these positions should rest with general committee only - members would not have an official voice.

This is likely to be of interest to SYC members only - although I for one would be very interested in how members of other clubs view this development at SYC.

Rather than clutter this thread, I have started topic specific thread - http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=144811.

Would be really keen to hear what others have to say on this.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Half decent day at Sandy yesterday, highlight was certainly watching almost the whole of div 2 sail straight past the first mark until someone twigged and they all started coming back down! We had only just passed it so came away with a decent lead...until we fluffed the douse... and then wrapped the masthead haly around the forestay for the final downhill!

Hah, yeah - there were some rusty crews out there - us included. Weird to sail past your windward mark, realise, run downwind briefly whilst trying to dodge boats doing a correct rounding, and then end up second. Strange day. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Mexican:

The Southern Cross Cup and the FoS both used New Tack as their regatta / event managers.

New Tack's client (ie. the entity who engage them to run their regatta / event) for the Southern Cross Cup are the local owners of TP52's. They make all the decisions about their regatta / event.

For the FoS, New Tack's client is the RGYC. New Tack's client is not the entrants to the regatta. This is where the similarities between the two events end. New Tack are following the direction of their client: RGYC.

To reiterate, if anyone has a gripe with the cost and format of the FoS, you'll need to influence the RGYC directly or indirectly through their key stakeholders (eg. the City of Greater Geelong, the sponsors and the State Government of Victoria). You're wasting your time blaming New Tack.

Gee, well there is the problem Mexxy.

You see mate, I always thought that the "key stakeholders" were the owners and crews of the competitors yachts. This event is not like some fucking rock concert where the band plays no matter who attends, if their ain't no boats then your "festival of sail" is just a bunch of fucking unemployed Geelong Bogans wandering around looking for a fight.

I mean think of it Mexxy, There is a crew to organise, food and drink to be purchased and a boating asset worth between $10,000 and $3,000,000 or so to be punted down to Geelong - and we aren't the "key Stakeholders"?

Ever heard of the marketing terms "buy In" and "ownership" Mexxy? I'll bet those stupid RGYC, Geelong Council and State Government pricks convinced themselves that "Festival of Sail" was a "Brand" right? A "brand " that they owned.

That came through loud and clear when Scandia first sponsored the race; the yachting population was immediately divided into "Grand Pricks" yachtsmen welcomed into the corporate tent and the rest of us great unwashed boaters. Each year you progressively alienated more of the Victorian yachting community till we were just a fucking sideshow, a pleasant backdrop for the Bogans to look at, with no real stake in the proceedings. That is what your "branding" has achieved.

You see Mexxy, in days gone by every yachtsman in the Bay had "Ownership" of the Geelong regatta and we dutifully "bought in". We organised bought and paid for food, drink and accommodation each year because it was something everyone did as a matter of course. We went because everyone went.

And this year you fucked it up even worse than last time.. No passage race and sailing during a work day as well.

Let me tell you what the original highlights of Geelong regatta actually were:

1. Passage races from every point in the bay, the course, starting order and start times chosen so that everyone arrived at the Hopetoun channel at once. For those on board that provided fun and games at the narrowest point and it was not unusual to see several unwary players go aground. The spectacle of about a thousand yachts (which is something like the numbers that attended in the late 1960's) arriving en masse was pleasing to the watchers. - But you fucked that all up now haven't you?

2. Then there was the fact that all yachts held "open house" and you caught up with people you hadn't seen all year, wandered off to get drunk together and eat something. Now replaced by acres of commercial food stalls.

3. Then there was the Sunday afternoon race for the teams in the inner harbour. The action at the gybe mark produced several magazine covers. I was there when Police Car broke its vang. All that is gone now - replaced by boring up/down races in the outer harbour.

4. Then there are the prices of everything. We didn't mind buying beer tickets, but today prices are just gouging.

So tell RGYC, the City of Geelong and the State Government to take their "Brand" and stick it up their arses.

Mexican:

You see mate, I always thought that the "key stakeholders" were the owners and crews of the competitors yachts. This event is not like some fucking rock concert where the band plays no matter who attends, if their ain't no boats then your "festival of sail" is just a bunch of fucking unemployed Geelong Bogans wandering around looking for a fight.

I mean think of it Mexxy, There is a crew to organise, food and drink to be purchased and a boating asset worth between $10,000 and $3,000,000 or so to be punted down to Geelong - and we aren't the "key Stakeholders"?

Ever heard of the marketing terms "buy In" and "ownership" Mexxy? I'll bet those stupid RGYC, Geelong Council and State Government pricks convinced themselves that "Festival of Sail" was a "Brand" right? A "brand " that they owned.

That came through loud and clear when Scandia first sponsored the race; the yachting population was immediately divided into "Grand Pricks" yachtsmen welcomed into the corporate tent and the rest of us great unwashed boaters. Each year you progressively alienated more of the Victorian yachting community till we were just a fucking sideshow, a pleasant backdrop for the Bogans to look at, with no real stake in the proceedings. That is what your "branding" has achieved.

You see Mexxy, in days gone by every yachtsman in the Bay had "Ownership" of the Geelong regatta and we dutifully "bought in". We organised bought and paid for food, drink and accommodation each year because it was something everyone did as a matter of course. We went because everyone went.

And this year you fucked it up even worse than last time.. No passage race and sailing during a work day as well.

1. Passage races from every point in the bay, the course, starting order and start times chosen so that everyone arrived at the Hopetoun channel at once. For those on board that provided fun and games at the narrowest point and it was not unusual to see several unwary players go aground. The spectacle of about a thousand yachts (which is something like the numbers that attended in the late 1960's) arriving en masse was pleasing to the watchers. - But you fucked that all up now haven't you?

2. Then there was the fact that all yachts held "open house" and you caught up with people you hadn't seen all year, wandered off to get drunk together and eat something. Now replaced by acres of commercial food stalls.

3. Then there was the Sunday afternoon race for the teams in the inner harbour. The action at the gybe mark produced several magazine covers. I was there when Police Car broke its vang. All that is gone now - replaced by boring up/down races in the outer harbour.

4. Then there are the prices of everything. We didn't mind buying beer tickets, but today prices are just gouging.

So tell RGYC, the City of Geelong and the State Government to take their "Brand" and stick it up their arses.

about a thousand yachts (which is something like the numbers that attended in the late 1960's

There was some good dope around then. You were obviously smoking it.

Mexican:

about a thousand yachts (which is something like the numbers that attended in the late 1960's

There was some good dope around then. You were obviously smoking it.

Dope or not, having been a participant in those days, I reckon his numbers are about right.

Mexican:

What's the quote? "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time...."

Nice rant, however, you've made some sensational assumptions which have no basis. When you say "But you fucked that all up now, haven't you?" I presume you think I'm somehow involved with New Tack, RGYC, et al.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I've been racing at Geelong Week (as I still think of it) for over 25 years as a crew and have seen the same changes you rant against. And I do agree that the event has taken a turn for the worse from a sailor's perspective. The difference is that I see myself, and the sailors who race at the event, as the customer of the event. The reason I've termed RGYC, the City of Greater Geelong, the sponsors and the State Government of Victoria as the key stakeholders is because they're actually in a position to make decisions regarding the event.

The only decision you or I have to make is whether we buy the product. This year, I did not.

So we can vote with our feet and not turn up; as many did this year. The point I'm trying unsuccessfully to make is this may not be enough to change the course of the event. I'm absolutely certain ranting on the internet is not the solution. It's also clear, to me at least, that bagging New Tack will not change the outcome. So how do you influence a change in the event for the betterment of the sailing customer?

You need to influence the people and organisations who actually make or have a huge influence over the decisions made about the event: RGYC, the City of Greater Geelong, the sponsors and the State Government of Victoria.

By the way, I've told you a million times before: don't exaggerate!

Mex

(or Mexxy to my fans)

Mexican:

What's the quote? "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time...."

Nice rant, however, you've made some sensational assumptions which have no basis. When you say "But you fucked that all up now, haven't you?" I presume you think I'm somehow involved with New Tack, RGYC, et al.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I've been racing at Geelong Week (as I still think of it) for over 25 years as a crew and have seen the same changes you rant against. And I do agree that the event has taken a turn for the worse from a sailor's perspective. The difference is that I see myself, and the sailors who race at the event, as the customer of the event. The reason I've termed RGYC, the City of Greater Geelong, the sponsors and the State Government of Victoria as the key stakeholders is because they're actually in a position to make decisions regarding the event.

The only decision you or I have to make is whether we buy the product. This year, I did not.

So we can vote with our feet and not turn up; as many did this year. The point I'm trying unsuccessfully to make is this may not be enough to change the course of the event. I'm absolutely certain ranting on the internet is not the solution. It's also clear, to me at least, that bagging New Tack will not change the outcome. So how do you influence a change in the event for the betterment of the sailing customer?

You need to influence the people and organisations who actually make or have a huge influence over the decisions made about the event: RGYC, the City of Greater Geelong, the sponsors and the State Government of Victoria.

Mex

(or Mexxy to my fans)

The Club Captains have provided advice to RGYC on some changes to the divisions and how they are scored that will hopefully offer the Port Phillip keelboat community a reason to participate in the regatta again. Whether those suggestions find their way into the NoR will be interesting to see.

So I stand corrected...there are changes...no overlapping divisional splits etc. if fact no divisions, just IRC and AMS with 3 boats in each.

This could well be the most interesting AC in 10 or more years.

So I stand corrected...there are changes...no overlapping divisional splits etc. if fact no divisions, just IRC and AMS with 3 boats in each.

It was the same last year.

So I stand corrected again, and return to my original question. What's changed?

I hear that there is a "Calm 3" aka "Camper" VO70.

Try and keep up Don, this has been discussed at length on other topics ages ago.

Truely??

Please provide the links so I can read the discussion as the search findings are 0

Thanks

It was the same last year.

So I stand corrected again, and return to my original question. What's changed?

Nothing

http://www.rycv.asn.au/results/index.asp?group=assoc&race=ACN.htm

Well done RYCV, maybe Calm 3 should be an Adams 10, Executive Calm, Top Calm...?

I saw some of the final race, great seeing this fleet in action, the TP's are spectacular!

Yep, nothing's changed. The club with the most Adams 10s wins again, yay!

Mex

Yaaaawwwwnnn! Did something happen?

Mexican:

Mex

(or Mexxy to my fans)

The Club Captains have provided advice to RGYC on some changes to the divisions and how they are scored that will hopefully offer the Port Phillip keelboat community a reason to participate in the regatta again. Whether those suggestions find their way into the NoR will be interesting to see.

I hope you have more success in those discussions with RGYC than your predecessor had...

• 2 weeks later...