Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

Posts that do not age well...

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posted Images

Anyone know much about the Cape 31 'Airframe'? Good boat? What's her performance like?

Haven't seen her out much but she flew in this one. http://www.hbyc.org.au/images/series/results/St_Leonards_Results.pdf

Had a pretty good record in Botany Bay as "Torch" back in the JOGGIE days. Capey always draws a nice boat.

Anyone know much about the Cape 31 'Airframe'? Good boat? What's her performance like?

Haven't seen her out much but she flew in this one. http://www.hbyc.org.au/images/series/results/St_Leonards_Results.pdf

Had a pretty good record in Botany Bay as "Torch" back in the JOGGIE days. Capey always draws a nice boat.

Walked past it the other day, looks tidy enough, good rig, well maintained, bit of a bargain if you're after that size boat.

Walked past it the other day, looks tidy enough, good rig, well maintained, bit of a bargain if you're after that size boat.

Any idea how she'd stack up against an Adams 10 performance wise?

badly - it has not really done anything in Div2, let alone destroyed all comers like the A10's. If you wanted to beat the Adams, you should have bought the Borensen (Surprise) when it was available.

badly - it has not really done anything in Div2, let alone destroyed all comers like the A10's. If you wanted to beat the Adams, you should have bought the Borensen (Surprise) when it was available.

We beat all the A10's to Geelong on scratch in 2010. 34 miles upwind - one of the best races that we sailed in Surprise. I still miss sailing that boat, she was an absolute thoroughbred. They're building them again in Denmark - I'd be tempted to import a new one when the A31 finds a new home.

Cool, thanks guys. Looking at A10s as well, not just as competition. Anything else in Vic I should be considering at present?

Isn't the Archimbault 31 (Audi Penfold) on the market?

Yes,

Cool, thanks guys. Looking at A10s as well, not just as competition. Anything else in Vic I should be considering at present?

Isn't the Archimbault 31 (Audi Penfold) on the market?

Yes, but she's well out of my budget!

ORCV chose not to race yesterday on the basis of a fairly windy forecast. Risk management has overwhelmed our sport (and maybe our lives) to a pathetic extent. FFS how are sailors supposed to gain experience and skills in fresh wind sailing if they never sail in it?

What are they going to do when they are in the ocean and it blows at all hard? (Heaven forbid!!)

Safety regulations require they know how to deploy and enter a raft, survive in the water, set off flares, make radio calls, manage a distress situation etc but it seems they aren't required to sail in any real wind that would see them needing that range of (valuable) skills, even on enclosed waters and reasonably close to shore.

post-13013-0-25442100-1375063123_thumb.png

ORCV chose not to race yesterday on the basis of a fairly windy forecast. Risk management has overwhelmed our sport (and maybe our lives) to a pathetic extent. FFS how are sailors supposed to gain experience and skills in fresh wind sailing if they never sail in it?

What are they going to do when they are in the ocean and it blows at all hard? (Heaven forbid!!)

Safety regulations require they know how to deploy and enter a raft, survive in the water, set off flares, make radio calls, manage a distress situation etc but it seems they aren't required to sail in any real wind that would see them needing that range of (valuable) skills, even on enclosed waters and reasonably close to shore.

attachicon.gifWind Port Phillip July 28.png

I agree it has gone a little too far but they did race the fortnight previous, it was a solid 25-30 all day with periods up towards 34, throw in a couple of gusts up towards 40 it made for an interesting couple of races. As for calling off yesterdays race, with the hangover I had I can't say i was too upset...

Flatty - more or less agree on Risk management overwhelming everything these days. But as the series is designated as Cat6, I think that a gale warning is probably good enough reason to pull the pin. Also it is not their fault the Bureau's forecast was wrong. I guess you could make the series Cat3 and race in any weather - but that would make it harder to get entrants.

Flatty - more or less agree on Risk management overwhelming everything these days. But as the series is designated as Cat6, I think that a gale warning is probably good enough reason to pull the pin. Also it is not their fault the Bureau's forecast was wrong. I guess you could make the series Cat3 and race in any weather - but that would make it harder to get entrants.

Cat 6 & "Ocean" Racing just don't seem to go together.Maybe they need to change the name of the Club to the Pond Racing Club of Vic? When you race in the ocean you have take what you get and you have to be prepared for it.

Great to see them re-instituting the Portland Race but with the "lets not sail cos it might get windy" attitude, I am sure they're all gonna be well prepared for what that one can throw at 'em!

I agree it has gone a little too far but they did race the fortnight previous, it was a solid 25-30 all day with periods up towards 34, throw in a couple of gusts up towards 40 it made for an interesting couple of races. As for calling off yesterdays race, with the hangover I had I can't say i was too upset...

Gale warning was the problem, Cat 6 race, not all boats are hardcore ocean races in this series.

Flatty, remember, it is not only up to ORCV, They have no boats, to run the races but rely on the goodwill and support of the clubs to provide committee boats, course laying and support boats and crew. So a lot of the responsibility is with the clubs, and they need to be conscious of responsibility and liability to their non ocean racing members for a Cat 6 race and duty of care to race officials and volunteers in running a non club event.

Wow, $AUS650k for a 2005/6 Farr (= old ) TP52? Maybe they're chucking in the newer one as well.

Clicky

Best of luck to the Calm team in the Fastnet on their other, other ride, the ex ETNZ VO70 Ca(L)mper.

Wow, $AUS650k for a 2005/6 Farr (= old ) TP52? Maybe they're chucking in the newer one as well.

Clicky

Best of luck to the Calm team in the Fastnet on their other, other ride, the ex ETNZ VO70 Ca(L)mper.

Are Willo & GA still financial partners in this ? What are their plans if/when it sells ?

Clicky

Are Willo & GA still financial partners in this ? What are their plans if/when it sells ?

Heard Willo has gone to the dark side and now has a big multihull up north. Dunno about G A but he hasn't been seen on C-1 much lately.

Clicky

What's happened to their entry ? I looked 3 times couldn't find them.

https://secure.rorc.org/app/index.php?action=entryList&iRaceId=82&sHash=30e26e8c05a2a2ea6a2df7de5b27e06c6c822a13

Heard some chatter last weekend that the deal fell through and Camper is no longer coming to Oz.

Boat 1 for sale, boat 2 not sailing, and boat 3 deal falls through. Are there issues or should we just stay calm?

Posting a change to the sailing instructions in the middle of a news item does not comply.

There is no requirement for a protest to correct the scoring -

RRS 90.3 c - When the race committee determines from its own records or observations that it has scored a boat incorrectly, it shall correct the error and make the corrected scores available to competitors.

Heard some chatter last weekend that the deal fell through and Camper is no longer coming to Oz.

Bugger, was looking forward to seeing them punt the V70 around.

Hopefully there's another boat in the wings, Calm 100 ??

Stand by. The plot thickens...

post-13013-0-24848900-1375949325_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifSPARKLERS_-_sparklers_5-9-09_white_bursting_LARGE.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/brighton-yachtsman-jason-van-der-slot-accused-of-8m-fraud-by-building-mogul-mario-salvo/story-fni0fit3-1226695153928

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/brighton-yachtsman-jason-van-der-slot-accused-of-8m-fraud-by-building-mogul-mario-salvo/story-fni0fit3-1226695153928

I new Slotty was into property development, but not that type? It looks like some more TP52's on the market here in Melbourne?

• 1 month later...

I new Slotty was into property development, but not that type? It looks like some more TP52's on the market here in Melbourne?

They'll probably get frozen for a couple of years while the case goes on. :-(

Any news outta the SYC AGM?

Stuck here in Adeadlaide so couldn't be there last night. Did Cam's "Thongs in the Bar" proposal get up? Before you Seppos get all excited, down here in Oz, Thongs are footwear, flip flops, jandals (across the ditch), rubber go-aheads. The site of the other sort of Thong in the Bar might be exciting on about 3% of the female membership but otherwise has minimal appeal.

Also wondering if Slotty's little 'issue' rated a mention from the floor or the Head Table? He's taking up some valuable ( & expen$ive) marina space with a couple of boats that I hear won't be sailing much for a while but on the upside, there's likely to be a whole bunch of crew looking for rides. They come with nice matching jackets.

They come with their own IRC certificates, so i'd say more like $3.50

What does that valuation say about the idiot brokers who have the older one listed on line at a mind numbing $650k. Who are they trying to kid?

AFAIK Mario Salvo isn't a yachtie so I hope he doesn't think that price is indicative of what he may eventually recover.

Looks like he's in for a very rude awakening.

Sad that Willo could get caught up in this shitfight.

Stuck here in Adeadlaide so couldn't be there last night. Did Cam's "Thongs in the Bar" proposal get up? Before you Seppos get all excited, down here in Oz, Thongs are footwear, flip flops, jandals (across the ditch), rubber go-aheads. The site of the other sort of Thong in the Bar might be exciting on about 3% of the female membership but otherwise has minimal appeal.

Yep, the proposal got up. Only on race days and they specified "rubber thongs".

So, for all those out there into S&M, bring out the PVC thong for twilight racing!

Mex

Yep, the proposal got up. Only on race days and they specified "rubber thongs".

So, for all those out there into S&M, bring out the PVC thong for twilight racing!

Mex

I always knew it to be a bogan club. Will now definitely never be RSYC!

• 2 weeks later...

The NOR for the Festival of Sails regatta has been released. I'm glad to say that most of the suggestions from the Port Phillip Club Captains have been incorporated and I think that the relative pricing between each of the divisions makes a bit more sense than it has previously. NOR section 15 is not designed to prevent wives, partners and friends from visiting after racing.

Offering a division for racing boats to be scored under AMS with the same schedule as the cruising divisions is a positive and will help to separate true cruising boats from racing boats who have been entering the cruising division in previous years.

I know that sailors will still find fault with the event. I haven't entered for the past couple of years either, but I think that it's time to give the event another go and have some fun down there.

http://festivalofsails.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/FoS-NOR-2014-FINAL-1.pdf

I hear that FoS has been chosen for the Beneteau First 40 National titles as well. A bit of a turn around in progress maybe?

Mex

And the 38 nationals I think

The Sydney 38's have their own course area. The Beneteau regatta is part of the IRC/AMS division if I read the NOR correctly.

Ouch! Much carnage?

Solid race from Sandy on Sat with a good turn out, a few near misses, a grounding (or what looked to be) and Sportscar with a rig failure? What happened SC, rig looked in one piece when I walked past later that arvo?

The NOR for the Festival of Sails regatta has been released. I'm glad to say that most of the suggestions from the Port Phillip Club Captains have been incorporated and I think that the relative pricing between each of the divisions makes a bit more sense than it has previously. NOR section 15 is not designed to prevent wives, partners and friends from visiting after racing.

Offering a division for racing boats to be scored under AMS with the same schedule as the cruising divisions is a positive and will help to separate true cruising boats from racing boats who have been entering the cruising division in previous years.

I know that sailors will still find fault with the event. I haven't entered for the past couple of years either, but I think that it's time to give the event another go and have some fun down there.

http://festivalofsails.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/FoS-NOR-2014-FINAL-1.pdf

A31 or Shaw 650 Dave? I'm hoping for the latter, or maybe not considering the competition. ;-)

Ouch! Much carnage?

Solid race from Sandy on Sat with a good turn out, a few near misses, a grounding (or what looked to be) and Sportscar with a rig failure? What happened SC, rig looked in one piece when I walked past later that arvo?

The boys told me they popped the head off a chainplate bolt coming out of a gybe and thought it prudent to keep the rig vertical so retired hurt. Simple fix and back in action soon; maybe not Thursday twilight soon, but hopefully not too much longer.

So who was the muppet that sent the keelboats on a course through PMYC's start line whilst div1 (sabots, laser 4.7s) were in sequence. Not like it couldn't have been predicted since we start at 2pm every Saturday.

RMYS Had one there, not too mention the Musto skiff ending up second best.

Ouch! Much carnage?

The boys told me they popped the head off a chainplate bolt coming out of a gybe and thought it prudent to keep the rig vertical so retired hurt. Simple fix and back in action soon; maybe not Thursday twilight soon, but hopefully not too much longer.

Good to hear mate - wise move I reckon, especially as the breeze was up too

A31 or Shaw 650 Dave? I'm hoping for the latter, or maybe not considering the competition. ;-)

The intention is to sail the Archambault at Geelong so I'm open to the idea of loaning/chartering the Shaw for that regatta.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually quite an enjoyable days sailing.

Had to laugh at Div 0 though; Calm 2, XLR8 and Rush, with Veloce still to appear. No Goldfinger this season, No Calm, No Shogun (either of them), No Terra Firma, No Shamrock, have I missed anyone?

Looking forward to seeing PCs new HH 42 when it appears, but which division will it sail in? my guess is Div 1 against Benny First 45s?

Actually quite an enjoyable days sailing.

Had to laugh at Div 0 though; Calm 2, XLR8 and Rush, with Veloce still to appear. No Goldfinger this season, No Calm, No Shogun (either of them), No Terra Firma, No Shamrock, have I missed anyone?

Looking forward to seeing PCs new HH 42 when it appears, but which division will it sail in? my guess is Div 1 against Benny First 45s?

There are eligibility requirements in the NOR for Div 0 which if I recall correctly are IRC TCC above 1.180 and design age date newer than 1999. My guess would be that the HH42's IRC rating as well as it's type would make Div 0 its natural place. I'm sure that the owner of a new high performance 42 footer would not want to get cleaned up by Sydney 38's in light air and Beneteau 40's and 45's in 12 to 18 knots, relying on planing conditions to win windward/leeward races on corrected time.

There are plenty of doomsayers prepared to pronounce the death of Div 0 but it needs to carry on because we all know that financial circumstances will change and these boats will have their time again.

Nice to see Smooth Criminal back on board for the Club Marine Series, thank you for supporting the series.

Has anyone heard anything from Scarlet Runner on their delivery to Cape Town ? Are they there yet ?

They are all over F/Book. Disco has been to every restaurant, bar and glory hole in Cape Town going by his posts :-)

A little birdie told the man in the tree who told my lawyers ex wife who told him to tell another Anarchist who frequents these pages who just whispered in my left pink shell-like that a certain 2010 Sydney- Hobart Winning RP vessel built and subsequently re-built by an acclaimed Peninsula based fabricator of such vessels has just returned to an infamous New Beach Rd address in Sydney following a recent European sojourn for Fastnet duties.

With regard to the above mentioned, rumour has it that said vessel may well soon appear on a certain largely enclosed body of water adjacent to the fair city mentioned in the title of this thread. The maritime sales organisation possibly involved are showing that purchase of said vessel may have required the release of a large number of Gorillas; 795 to be precise. Who knows how many Gorillas were actually released to effect said transaction if said rumour is indeed true? All will be revealed in due course.... or not?

A little birdie told the man in the tree who told my lawyers ex wife who told him to tell another Anarchist who frequents these pages who just whispered in my left pink shell-like that a certain 2010 Sydney- Hobart Winning RP vessel built and subsequently re-built by an acclaimed Peninsula based fabricator of such vessels has just returned to an infamous New Beach Rd address in Sydney following a recent European sojourn for Fastnet duties.

With regard to the above mentioned, rumour has it that said vessel may well soon appear on a certain largely enclosed body of water adjacent to the fair city mentioned in the title of this thread. The maritime sales organisation possibly involved are showing that purchase of said vessel may have required the release of a large number of Gorillas; 795 to be precise. Who knows how many Gorillas were actually released to effect said transaction if said rumour is indeed true? All will be revealed in due course.... or not?

Man that just gave me a farken headache reading all that. I feel worn out. Hope the rumour's true.

Man that just gave me a farken headache reading all that. I feel worn out. Hope the rumour's true.

Agree FO! Jeez, LPB, did you swallow a dictionary or are you a lawyer?

Reading between your way too many lines, stories of SMB3.5 coming to Melbourne after the 2013 Hobart have been doing the rounds for a week or so down here.

Reading between your way too many lines, stories of SMB3.5 coming to Melbourne after the 2013 Hobart have been doing the rounds for a week or so down here.

Who's rumoured to have departed with said Gorilla's ?

Yeah I'd heard much the same, heading to RMYS based on where his current/previous is/was I'd heard?

Going into the new marina I guess? You wouldn't want to put a machine like that in the current graveyard.

And just who the f#@# at RMYS is up to sailing a boat like that? Going by the available talent out of that club right now, the new owner will need to bring in lots of rock $tar$ to protect his inve$tment.

I'd happily give it a crack! Got a mate who's going to Hobart on her so will try and find out some more.

Not sure what competition she'll have at RMYS either?

She could just sit there and grow weeds like so many other boats there.

Oh and good luck with her draft on the Squaddie's breakwater start line...

It's not entered for the Hobart this year, assuming the entry list is up to date. Entries closed on Friday.

It's not entered for the Hobart this year, assuming the entry list is up to date. Entries closed on Friday.

Yes, it is entered for Hobart '13. Still plenty of time to learn how to sail the beast before taking on a Hobart :-(

I mean, look how quickly they mastered the Farr 40....

Yeah it's entered under the Primitive Cool name which, when comparing the pic and the details is a Farr 40 looking RP51 from CYCA in Victoria.

The boys had a training wknd just gone and a steep learning curve ahead by all accounts...

We had an interesting race to Portland - real mix of conditions and some guys seeing 60+kts. Quite a few retired as a result of the conditions but am pretty sure I heard someone drop out as they lost TV reception and wanted to watch a race?!

Yep, Portland was a bit rough, a nice start under spinnaker, then faded away to nothing, then built to 40+ on the nose... we had a pepsi can explode in the freezer and broke the handle off a coffee mug.

Interesting to note that RPAYC are allowing Sat Phones as an alternative to HF Radio for the Cat 2 Coffs race:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Club-Marine-Pittwater-to-Coffs-Race---Advancement-in-Communication/116170

When asked whether ORCV is considering this same alternative, the response was:

"...The ORCV is always looking at new cost beneficial technology to improve safety. For example position scheds in the Melbourne to Osaka race were conducted by HF and Email or SMS. There are some aspects of YA Special Regulations that Organising Authorities do not have discretion to change. One very different consideration in the Cat 2 Pittwater to Coffs race is VHF coverage for the entire race course. "

Based on a couple of prompts to some regular ocean racers, suggest that participants generally support using sat phones... perhaps (initially) as an additional option to HF for sched ??

Thoughts?