Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

Posts that do not age well...

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posted Images

Thoughts and prayers of many are with Liz and the kids tonight.

Sail on Slotty. Fair winds, following seas and most of all, peace.

Respectful gathering in his memory at SYC yesterday and moving to see his son out sailing in his Opti too.

Respectful gathering in his memory at SYC yesterday and moving to see his son out sailing in his Opti too.

So Flatty what happened?, to many gaps (missing posts) in this thread to guess

If you don't know then you probably don't need to know. Let's leave it at that.

Possibly might be better if people knew rather than having people speculating and getting the rumour mill wound up with something like this ???

•  

What an arrogant answer, thanks for that.

Due to the lack of info folks it looks like a :-

DEAD CALM

•  

DEAD CALM

Mate, seriously? Have some fucking respect

•  

DEAD CALM

Respect has to be earned,

"Some fucking respect"? well that's another issue again, which word is the verb?

Change: You want info, go trawl someplace else. By your response you have completely vindicated my decision to give you the answer I gave. If that makes me arrogant then that's a badge I shall wear with pride.

More than a little sanctimonious of you Flatbag.

If you were so concerned with preserving dignity you wouldn't have made the post in the first instance, and even then you wouldn't have followed up with the second.

You started the speculations rolling, what did you expect?

Change: You want info, go trawl someplace else. By your response you have completely vindicated my decision to give you the answer I gave. If that makes me arrogant then that's a badge I shall wear with pride.

No matter,it will all come out and you will stick out from the crowd because of your little badge

"Some fucking respect"? well that's another issue again, which word is the verb?

Even for the dead?

'Have' was the verb, although maybe 'show' would've been better.

Even for the dead?

Dead? who's dead? back to my original question.. what happened?

Even for the dead?

Ever wondered why you're not in the loop and why no one will give you anything?

Even for the dead?

All the flat one had to say was that he topped himself, but.... hmmm... there then wouldn't be your little Melbourne loop who don't give anything haaaaaaa

All the flat one had to say was that he topped himself, but.... hmmm... there then wouldn't be your little Melbourne loop who don't give anything haaaaaaa

And what do you give? Apart from giving everyone the shits?

Ripped off his employer and sent a family bankrupt, went to jail changed his name, ripped off another employer and pretended he was rich with flash cars and yachts then took the easy way out leaving a wife and children wondering why their father is dead rather than face the music. Where does this give him respect

Ripped off his employer and sent a family bankrupt, went to jail changed his name, ripped off another employer and pretended he was rich with flash cars and yachts then took the easy way out leaving a wife and children wondering why their father is dead rather than face the music. Where does this give him respect

Yep, and supported by the "Loop"

Well at least you chose the right username.... Knob by name, knob by nature!

Hey Knob

All the guys in the "loop" are getting personal, I guess just like J, they are out of anything to say

Hey Knob

All the guys in the "loop" are getting personal, I guess just like J, they are out of anything to say

Knob, Change and everyone else discussing this topic in this thread right now; how about a little respect here from all of you for his wife and two innocent children mourning their loss?

So someone want to tell me where this post is wrong.

Sad for the kids as their lives are fucked over already but that is how it is.

The post above yours said it lydia - the respect is not for him, but for his grieving family members.

Sad to see such boorish conduct from some here - you don't command respect either (not talking about you lydia - change, knob et al).

The "ripped off another employer" bit remains unresolved and the only things those of us on the outside purportedly know about it were gleaned from a couple of articles printed in the Herald-Sun, hardly a bastion of journalistic verity. Its fairly obvious from even a casual read that the instigator of those articles was an agent of the claimant, an exceedingly wealthy and influential operator.

Draw your own conclusions. A commercial arrangement gone sour is how I read it. But what the fuck would I know? The outcome is just so sad for all concerned.

As always with these "occurrences" it is the family that suffers, and my condelences to them.

To JvdS, he is exactly where he wanted to be, he requires and deserves no sympathy.

What a shame and thoughts and prayers to his family. After almost a week, no other reports about this in any other form of news media outlets has reported anything except what is being reported in this forum. You would think after what he has done to raise the profile of sailing for the kids at the club and all the good he seemed to have done for handicap racing, that there would be some sort of mention of this in the main stream media. I am all for privacy at this sad time, but this guy made some news over his lifespan, some good and some perhaps not so good....

Crickets...........

No obituary? No sensational news flash's from the tabloid that brought down all the bad news in the first place.....

Very strange, sad, but strange.......

Unwritten rule in press journalism is not to publicise circumstances such as these. Press journalists and editors have few morals, but this is one of them.

X2 They don't report suicides in the media as it can promote it.

Often in print they will report the death but not the cause and put a note at the bottom "if you need help call lifeline" that's generally a suicide.

X2 They don't report suicides in the media as it can promote it.

Often in print they will report the death but not the cause and put a note at the bottom "if you need help call lifeline" that's generally a suicide.

There's an article on page 11 of today's Age which state that they understand he recently took his own life. But they seem to be more concerned that his property development may not go ahead.
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I see the HH42 has arrived then! Anyone got any more info? Rig looks a little short, albeit from a distance...

A continuation of the PC "Fun" series, "Simply Fun" looked pretty hot going downwind from a boat length away.

I think the appearance of the "short" mast is more an optical issusion, when you view the yacht from forward or aft, as she's 4.3 metres wide.

Yeah thought that might be the case. I have no doubt it'll have a pretty sweet stick in it! Looking forward to seeing more of her, any idea how she rates?

Carbon mast and alloy boom. Halyard locks for main and masthead spin halyards - Southern Spars

HH42 hull #2 is Island Fling in HK: IRC rating of 1.222 (edit: Simply Fun is hull #3)

Mex

A continuation of the PC "Fun" series, "Simply Fun" looked pretty hot going downwind from a boat length away.

I think the appearance of the "short" mast is more an optical issusion, when you view the yacht from forward or aft, as she's 4.3 metres wide.

And that was the A4!

Can't wait to see the size of the A1 / A2...

Mex

What is it with him a green! Arghhhh!

Yes it is a rhetorical question.

With Laurie Ford's 'Spirit of Downunder' colloquially know as 'Dipped in Dogshit', will S F become known as 'Dipped in Slime'?

Green was traditionally thought to be unlucky as a colour for boats. Could it be a tip of the hat to PC's chosen Q Sails?

With Laurie Ford's 'Spirit of Downunder' colloquially know as 'Dipped in Dogshit', will S F become known as 'Dipped in Slime'?

Green was traditionally thought to be unlucky as a colour for boats. Could it be a tip of the hat to PC's chosen Q Sails?

I was thinking the colloquial term for a vanilla slice might suit... Snot Block.

Mex

I was thinking the colloquial term for a vanilla slice might suit... Snot Block.

Mex

The Phlegm Bus ?

Mex

The Phlegm Bus ?

Pimply Bum?

Phil Coomb's HH42 Simply Fun has a new Facebook site with loads of new photos of the launch & first sail. Find your own way there if you wish...

Calm just popped up for sale through 38 South - $599,000 ono.

Not such a bad deal when you consider all the offshore mods have already been done... and thoroughly tested.

The NZ guys that bought the older Shogun, (now Vamos), and then spent a small fortune modifying & upgrading it in Sydney would probably have spent close to that !

• 3 weeks later...

post-13013-0-34767500-1389086015.jpg

Nice work Nudge. Love to know how you made this happen!

Not this year, unfortunately.

All indications are that RGYC and the event promoter & sponsors have done an amazing job of providing an inclusive event that suits everyone's wants and needs.

By "all indicators", I mean that we don't have 7 pages of posts about the price of accomodation, the division splits, the timing of the passage race, the regatta entry fees, the price of a Bundy & Coke, etc, etc, etc

They must have been listening all these years.

Either that, or I missed the news of Walrus' untimely passing...

Mex

I miss the 'round the bay' leader race through the channels. Looked into this yesterday, but these days it's almost a straight run into Geelong. What ever happened to this race and the party on the end of the jetty with a pallet full of alcomohol? Oh how things change. :-/

All indications are that RGYC and the event promoter & sponsors have done an amazing job of providing an inclusive event that suits everyone's wants and needs.

By "all indicators", I mean that we don't have 7 pages of posts about the price of accomodation, the division splits, the timing of the passage race, the regatta entry fees, the price of a Bundy & Coke, etc, etc, etc

Mex

He's busy building an aeroplane. It's quiet around here without him - thankfully.

Solid line up for Division 1 IRC / AMS. About as close to an HPR division as Melbourne gets these days. I hope Matt knows where the shallow spots are! Interesting that this division has gone from being dominated by TP52s to having none...

BLACK BETTY - GP42

GOLDFINGER - Farr52

ICHI BAN - C60

PATRICE - Ker46

PRIMITIVE COOL - RP51

SHAMROCK - RP46

SIMPLY FUN - HH42

TERRA FIRMA - Cookson 50

VELOCE - Elliot 44

Mex

He's busy building an aeroplane. It's quiet around here without him - thankfully.

You're up against the Adams 10s in Div 3 this year I see. Good luck with that!

The whining from the Beneteau owners must have drove them out of Div 2....

Mex

It's been nice and quiet in the run up to FoS, very surprising!

Mex, I'm told PC is still in Hobart and won't be back in time unfortunately. Great D1 line up none the less, looking forward to seeing them round the track.

Classic series for me this year, something different and looking forward to it.

Mex

A little birdy told me the other day that Walrus is actually going to be at the FoS this year..........

You're up against the Adams 10s in Div 3 this year I see. Good luck with that!

The whining from the Beneteau owners must have drove them out of Div 2....

Mex

I'm not that worried about the talent in the Adams 10 ranks. Executive Decision is in Gosford for their National Titles so they are out of the picture. Toecutter will be the benchmark in AMS.

Div 3 is on a separate course area north of the channel which is a bit of a shame because we won't get to see that much of the big boat racing. A few more boats would have been nice but there's probably ten boats in our Division that will be pretty closely matched so we should have some decent racing.

Div 1 should be interesting - all A Sail boats. There is one TP - Cougar II is coming over from Tas as far as I know.

It's been nice and quiet in the run up to FoS, very surprising!

Mex, I'm told PC is still in Hobart and won't be back in time unfortunately. Great D1 line up none the less, looking forward to seeing them round the track.

Classic series for me this year, something different and looking forward to it.

PC is already at RMYS...

Where's Ichi Ban staying at the moment. Wouldn't mind taking a good look at her.

Pier 35? Saw a large black yacht on the outer arm when crossing Westgate last night.

Mex

A little birdy told me the other day that Walrus is actually going to be at the FoS this year..........

They have a Laurent Giles Division?

Solid line up for Division 1 IRC / AMS. About as close to an HPR division as Melbourne gets these days. I hope Matt knows where the shallow spots are! Interesting that this division has gone from being dominated by TP52s to having none...

BLACK BETTY - GP42

GOLDFINGER - Farr52

ICHI BAN - C60

PATRICE - Ker46

PRIMITIVE COOL - RP51

SHAMROCK - RP46

SIMPLY FUN - HH42

TERRA FIRMA - Cookson 50

VELOCE - Elliot 44

Mex

TP = Totally Phucked now as a class in Aus.

2 x Calms sitting idle at Sandy, Shogun with erection problems, Hooligan DFL'ing at Key West, Syd won't come to Geelong, Bob Steele ditto.

Only the old Cougar 2 to show as the lone starter. Hate to be trying to find an enthusiastic buyer for a TP in this country now.

Mex

Walrus sadly lost his lady last year which probably changed his focus away from this sorry place. Not missing his vitriol but wish him well with his aeronautical pursuits.

Annual FoS rant begins:-

FoS bleating about reaching a pathetic 309 entries? Sailors are voting with their boats and staying away in droves for all the reasons you have mentioned. And you think they have listened??? Do me a favour after the event and have a look at the result sheets to see the numbers who DNC after the first (Passage) race. Significant numbers will only do the passage race because they don't want to sail way out in the outer harbour for the rest of the regatta. So they end up, admittedly by their own choice, paying hundreds of dollars for one days racing. Value for money when you consider the additional excessively inflated accomm, food & beverage prices? I think not. The parties just ain't that good anymore to justify that sort of expense.

They appear to be struggling for revenue. This year, for the first time, they are even slugging the kids who race their little Cadet dinghies on the Monday. Traditionally that has been a no-cost event put on to encourage the kids participation but the greedy cunts have seen that as yet another revenue stream, probably because they so desperately need funds to pay the hefty contracted event management fees.

I wish the organisers of what once was a fantastic regatta for the sailors doom and unmitigated failure. Oh wait; at a paltry 309 entries it already is an unmitigated failure.

Anywhere but Geelong this weekend for me. End of annual rant for 2014.

Geelong looks good, a bit of glamour in Div 1 to look at. Div 2 with the Bene champs, 5 x First 45's should be tight racing. Div 3, lots of A10s to battle it out. Cruiser/racer and cruising divisions have massive entry lists, should ensure some chaos! No word on the price of Bundy cans yet or if you can buy more than 2?

Geelong looks good, a bit of glamour in Div 1 to look at. Div 2 with the Bene champs, 5 x First 45's should be tight racing. Div 3, lots of A10s to battle it out. Cruiser/racer and cruising divisions have massive entry lists, should ensure some chaos! No word on the price of Bundy cans yet or if you can buy more than 2?

Heads up pal; you won't get more than two Bundies for a lobster ($20)

You can buy a slab of Bundy at Dan Murphys today for $65.00 = $2.70 per can. Think of that when you're 'enjoying' a gold plated cold one in G-Town.

Eh, cheer up Flattie. I'm looking forward to it anyway, weather looks ok, solid turnout (I think 300+ is good considering all the supposed turmoil and cost blah blah), plus plenty of BYO options to avoid paying OTT.

But then again I didn't have to walk up hill both ways to school back in t'day.........

As an aside, I see Veloce is up for sale now...

The ad says $430. I'd say that's fairly well priced for 4 year boat like that, perhaps a little heavy. Hard to compare with what else is out there though. Calm is up for 600, Knee Deep is 180, but hardly apples with apples....

How many pennies does a newly crowned Sydney to Hobart runner up go for these days?

Whatever you would pay for that boat, the price won't include the talent that made her go so well in the 2013 Hobart.

Without them on board she will be deep in the chasing pack.

Really nice boat, often well sailed, very well optimised just before the race... and fantastic to see her do so well in the Hobart, but she has not previously been competitive to that degree in that sort of fleet. Big shoes to fill.

How many pennies does a newly crowned Sydney to Hobart runner up go for these days?

Whatever you would pay for that boat, the price won't include the talent that made her go so well in the 2013 Hobart.

Really nice boat, often well sailed, very well optimised just before the race... and fantastic to see her do so well in the Hobart, but she has not previously been competitive to that degree in that sort of fleet. Big shoes to fill.

Didn't they race south with Nitro and Barney?

Big expensive pro sailor / sailmaker shoes to fill....

Mex

You can buy a slab of Bundy at Dan Murphys today for $65.00 = $2.70 per can. Think of that when you're 'enjoying' a gold plated cold one in G-Town.

well....just goes to show " you're doing it wrong !"

:rolleyes:

Mex

Walrus sadly lost his lady last year which probably changed his focus away from this sorry place.

Sorry to hear that.

Mex

well....just goes to show " you're doing it wrong !"

:rolleyes:

Buy a pram and put the case of bundy in it and blankets over the top and pretend there is a sleeping baby in it - security won't touch it and off you go $180 better off per case

Didn't they race south with Nitro and Barney?

Big expensive pro sailor / sailmaker shoes to fill....

Mex

Are those guys still on the boat? Noted that Veloce won IRC Div 1 against some hot competition in the Geelong Passage Race yesterday. Phil S has often done well in that race, having won it a few times in the earlier smaller Veloce, the Elliott 36, in the past. Looks like he's on a roll.

Walrus took time of from attending to his aircraft to go to Geelong this year and was mostly pleasantly surprised.

Best entertainment was Sunday morning tacking up the narrows with a ship coming the other way - most interesting, I hope RGYC can arrange it again next year.

The cruiser racer divisions had a real course to sail, not this crazy upwind/downwind IRC farce ( "Daffy, the wind has swung 0.00035 degrees Left, could you move the bottom mark 27.0913 cm. East after the last boat is around down there?").

The range of stalls was again pitiful, but at least that might give RGYC food for thought.

Alcohol prices? Nothing has changed.

Geelong girls? Nothing has changed.