Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

The "Bring it on at the Club Marine Series" article in in Sail-World.com, like most written by this author makes for good reading.

However, some of the content requires comment.

No protests were lodged by any boats during or after the second start, so obviously no-one was concerned about the alledged "barging" or ?? "gate crashing" ?? by the "intruder".

Also the word "intruder" suggests a yacht that was not invited, or had no right to be there at that start. Toughen up princesses, the yacht was and is a legitimate Div 1 entrant, and if the RO wants to start both Div 0 and 1 boats together on a short, pin biased line, then deal with it.

A Race Officer has no power to make a yacht "return as instructed" following an individual recall, and even if a yacht is called OCS she retains all racing rights until the point she decides to return and restart, and only then does she need to keep clear of all other competitors. The race committee is duty bound to record that yachts finishing time, regardless of whether the yacht restarted or not.

Finally for the sake of posterity, Smooth Criminal, did not believe she was OCS at the start, as we believed we had dipped back far enough across the line prior to the gun, although this was most likely obscured by the Div 0 yachts to windward and leeward of us.

We did recieve a finishing time (thankyou committee boat personnel), when we crossed for line honours in Div 1 about 2 minutes ahead of Jazz Player and Ikon.

DC

Owner/helmsman - Smooth Criminal

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

First 3 rounds of the CMS saw only 2 boats run in Div 0 so I guess the RC couldn't justify running the morning races, might change next round? Would be better to keep Div 1 and 0 separate starts as the front running Div 1 boats end up battling with Div 0.

Pitty about the OCS for Smooth Criminal as it looked like ideal conditions for that boat.

The "Bring it on at the Club Marine Series" article in in Sail-World.com, like most written by this author makes for good reading.

However, some of the content requires comment.

No protests were lodged by any boats during or after the second start, so obviously no-one was concerned about the alledged "barging" or ?? "gate crashing" ?? by the "intruder".

Also the word "intruder" suggests a yacht that was not invited, or had no right to be there at that start. Toughen up princesses, the yacht was and is a legitimate Div 1 entrant, and if the RO wants to start both Div 0 and 1 boats together on a short, pin biased line, then deal with it.

A Race Officer has no power to make a yacht "return as instructed" following an individual recall, and even if a yacht is called OCS she retains all racing rights until the point she decides to return and restart, and only then does she need to keep clear of all other competitors. The race committee is duty bound to record that yachts finishing time, regardless of whether the yacht restarted or not.

Finally for the sake of posterity, Smooth Criminal, did not believe she was OCS at the start, as we believed we had dipped back far enough across the line prior to the gun, although this was most likely obscured by the Div 0 yachts to windward and leeward of us.

We did recieve a finishing time (thankyou committee boat personnel), when we crossed for line honours in Div 1 about 2 minutes ahead of Jazz Player and Ikon.

DC

Owner/helmsman - Smooth Criminal

Don,

I tried to let you guys know.. We thought you were over, so did the PRO, Someone on the back of your boat responded, but then no return.. Did you have the VHF on??

huwp - 6 boats.. Seriously.. That is more than enough to justify an extra race.. Or even an extra lap, or even the Extended top mark like the S.I's have as an option. Or run 2 x 1.1nm races instead of 1 x 1.7nm.. for both fleets.. The options are endless.

Thanks to the Volunteers for coming out and putting on a Race. But I would have preferred a bit more yachting.

SMC - The combining of the start was fine.. Good practice for everyone involved. It highlights the fact setting up with sails flapping and 2 minutes to go, above boat lay is not how to start a boat race :P

6 boats in div 0 ??? Yeah you are right.

Lets see 3 of the 6 had completed 0 races in the series prior to that,

1 had completed 1 race to date

That leaves perhaps 3 boats who might be considered 'regulars' and the 2nd placed boat will do no more races this regatta, and you expect to be taken seriously commanding regular appearances of what 2-3 boats ?????

Forgive me not thinking that Div 0 have the right to demand a lot of sway at this time based on current appearances, and yes I am serious.

Ok so...

Terra Firma - Wasn't even in the state... Ie Big Boat Series in Sydney

Primitive Cool - Wasn't even in the state... Ie Hobart and race prep

Veloce - Wasn't even in the state.... Ie Hobart and Race Prep

Simply Fun - New boat..

Rush - had done ever race except the last one.

The numbers are there, encourage them to race..

Don't get me wrong, 2 boats should not have their own special needs catered for. But when 6 of the 8 registered boats turn up.. Why not follow the S.I and NOR.. Forward thinking instead of reminiscing about the glory days.

Seriously, how hard would it have been to have 1 extra top mark and drive the rib .3nm further up the track and drop it. Or raise a Different course flag indicating 3 laps, not 2 for Div 0.. The answer, pretty bloody easy.. Hell, even start Div 0 with Div 1, its good regatta practice.

There is a saying.... Build it and they will come... Well we came...for 59 minutes of sailing..

I don't know who you are, But take it as constructive criticism.. Not bagging anyone out.. Its a request from the people who put in the effort and money to go sailing.

So who was the bright bunny who decided to install a new marker post with a 5 knot speed limit sign on it about 100m south of and a third of the way out along the Sandringham YC start line? It wasn't there last weekend but has mysteriously appeared this week along with several others right in front of a yacht club that has been conducting yacht races there for 100 years.

This week I did something I never thought I would do and joined the midweek sailors on Wednesday afternoon only to find this bloody great post right in front of us when heading south and upwind. Several yachts were seen to take abrupt avoiding action not long after finishing the race when confronted with this new and unwelcome obstacle. No one seems to know anything about it and we certainly hadn't heard any prior discussion about it around the YC.

Thanks Sporty for the photo.

post-25217-0-92928600-1392267692_thumb.jpg

They were apparently installed yesterday, presumably by Parks Victoria. I believe the intention is to keep jetski's away from the coastline. Or perhaps 5+ knot shitboxes. I also understand that SYC will be installing a new yellow crowding buoy to seaward of the 5kt mark.

WOFTAM.

No worries LPB.

I took a few photos from the deck as the fleet finished yesterday and was surprised to see the new post there.

Just wondering; is the 5 knot speed directive maximum or minimum. This could be a ploy from SYC to get rid of the sub 5KSB's

DC if they are going to move the inner clearance mark out that far and presumably the outer start mark by the same distance then some of those Wednesday Sailors are going to need new glasses or binoculars to see the courses displayed on the SYC tower. I guess the same goes for Thursday nights and indeed any fleet starting on that Club line.

The other sad thing is I am going to need a bigger lens!

post-449-0-87131300-1392268752_thumb.jpg

They were apparently installed yesterday, presumably by Parks Victoria. I believe the intention is to keep jetski's away from the coastline. Or perhaps 5+ knot shitboxes. I also understand that SYC will be installing a new yellow crowding buoy to seaward of the 5kt mark.

WOFTAM.

I noticed when I got back to my car in the upper car park far too late last night after a great feed in the Bar that the new post in the middle of the start line of the biggest yacht club on the bay is unlit at night. I can just hear the bleatings from Parks Vic after some poor bugger runs into it in the half-dark at the end of a twilight race. Better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one!

Off to check Notices to Mariners right now. Nope, as of right now nothing posted there since Feb 7.

But wait, there's more: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/bay-and-waterways-management/boating-zones

Read all about it folks.

Range series round 5 coming up, only one race scheduled for Div 0/1 again. Forecast for 15-20kts.

It will be one race per day for the final three race days. Following consultation with the owners, the series for Div 0 has been reduced to a nine race series (from the original "up to fourteen") races.

There will be a new Presentation format this year. After the conclusion of the final race, the presentation will be held at RBYC. Boats and crew are encouraged to come off the course areas and berth at Brighton immediately after the final races are concluded.

Range series round 5 coming up, only one race scheduled for Div 0/1 again. Forecast for 15-20kts.

It will be one race per day for the final three race days. Following consultation with the owners, the series for Div 0 has been reduced to a nine race series (from the original "up to fourteen") races.

There will be a new Presentation format this year. After the conclusion of the final race, the presentation will be held at RBYC. Boats and crew are encouraged to come off the course areas and berth at Brighton immediately after the final races are concluded.

Nice idea, except - i wouldn't have thought there'd be enough room at Frighton...

Nice idea, except - i wouldn't have thought there'd be enough room at Frighton...

Should be enough room upstairs. I do hope that we have a space problem, that would mean that we had plenty of participants.

Should be enough room upstairs. I do hope that we have a space problem, that would mean that we had plenty of participants.

Dave, i was referring to room in the marina for the boats.

Dave, i was referring to room in the marina for the boats.

D'oh - well they fitted a hundred Dragons in there. It'll be like Geelong without having to do the Passage Race!

Another good round of the Club Marine Series, 3 div 0 boats, good to see Terra Firma out there giving Primitave Cool a shake up, bit over 3 mins over the line. I thought I saw XLR8 out there before the start, but then nothing in the results, something happen? Div 1 (Beneteau class...) had a good turn out. 2 rounds to go.

Write up,

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=28295880

So who was the bright bunny who decided to install a new marker post with a 5 knot speed limit sign on it about 100m south of and a third of the way out along the Sandringham YC start line? It wasn't there last weekend but has mysteriously appeared this week along with several others right in front of a yacht club that has been conducting yacht races there for 100 years.

This week I did something I never thought I would do and joined the midweek sailors on Wednesday afternoon only to find this bloody great post right in front of us when heading south and upwind. Several yachts were seen to take abrupt avoiding action not long after finishing the race when confronted with this new and unwelcome obstacle. No one seems to know anything about it and we certainly hadn't heard any prior discussion about it around the YC.

Thanks Sporty for the photo.

And then there was none? Hearing that the above-mentioned new post near the Sandy start line is to be removed this week. Common sense prevails.

Another good round of the Club Marine Series, 3 div 0 boats, good to see Terra Firma out there giving Primitave Cool a shake up, bit over 3 mins over the line. I thought I saw XLR8 out there before the start, but then nothing in the results, something happen? Div 1 (Beneteau class...) had a good turn out. 2 rounds to go.

Write up,

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=28295880

Small incident with one of the crew onboard XLR8 so they returned to the pen to take him ashore. All well now I believe.

So very sad to note the passing of undoubtedly Victoria's greatest yachtsman, Lou Abrahams, a man who has done so much for our sport. His successes on the water are the stuff of legend. His humility in those achievements should be a lesson to us all. His contribution to the sport of sailing, to his yacht club and particularly to junior sailing knew no bounds for such was his generosity. Fair winds and following seas as you sail away on your final voyage Lou. It was a pleasure and a privilege to have known you. Respect.

So very sad to note the passing of undoubtedly Victoria's greatest yachtsman, Lou Abrahams, a man who has done so much for our sport. His successes on the water are the stuff of legend. His humility in those achievements should be a lesson to us all. His contribution to the sport of sailing, to his yacht club and particularly to junior sailing knew no bounds for such was his generosity. Fair winds and following seas as you sail away on your final voyage Lou. It was a pleasure and a privilege to have known you. Respect.

Nicely put.

RIP Lou.

Nicely put.

RIP Lou.

+1 a true gentleman fair winds Lou

+1, couldn't agree more.

Fair winds Lou

8 bells and my hat off to you Lou, a great, great loss for Victorian and Australian yachting!

Now sail the sea of peace and tranquility!

+100

RIP Lou, enjoy your last sail

A great loss

Always a privilege to race against you

Grogo

Tam O'Shanter overnight race run out of SYC on Friday night. Nice little tribute to Lou in the bar before we hit the water.

Race was the usual shit-show. No light on R1 was sub optimal. Full glass out at 5.30 am.

Esprit and Dark & Stormy hit the beach at around Franlkston and came out smelly like roses. A big roll of the dice that paid off. I though the standard thinking was to never sail into Carrum Bight??? Paid hansomely this time!

Mex

Not Melbourne 'Big Boat' but The kids at the Lou Abrahams Off The Beach Sailing Centre at Sandringham Y C stood for a minutes silence on Sunday morning in honour and respect for Lou under whose name they proudly sail every week. He was their mentor, benefactor and friend and he loved to see the kids in action. He always referred to them as the future of the Club and they in turn revered him. Many of them wore black armbands for their afternoon races as a further sign of the respect and esteem in which he is held.

post-449-0-42873800-1393806775_thumb.jpg

Sail on Louie, may your final journey be forever like this:

post-449-0-45695100-1393806836_thumb.jpg

R.I.P. Lou, sail on in peace knowing that you have influenced so many people.

I should have gone to Meetung, no steak sanga for us this year!

Were you on Jazz?

Had a solid ride down this year - although same tack from start to finish and no sail changes made for a very uneventful trip!

Thought it an odd decision by the RC to delay the start by an hour to avoid 1 ship coming through the heads only for 3 to come through at the new start time...

+1

Were you on Jazz?

Had a solid ride down this year - although same tack from start to finish and no sail changes made for a very uneventful trip!

Thought it an odd decision by the RC to delay the start by an hour to avoid 1 ship coming through the heads only for 3 to come through at the new start time...

Were you on Jazz?

Yep, had engine issues when we got down to the start line. Only one call could be made, we headed back home. :(

That delay was a schamozzle though, why didn't they check on 'MarineTraffic' to see what the ships were doing? The ORCV website has addressed this and is engaging in talks with Port Authorities to prevent this from happening again.

Bit of action in the Range series, 30kts+ at times, plenty of wipe outs and a few breakages,

2947368_1_O.jpg

write-up, http://www.clubmarineseries.com.au/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=28638007

And here's Lindsay under a bit better control the day after that...

post-449-0-95476500-1395025205_thumb.jpg

Bit of action in the Range series, 30kts+ at times, plenty of wipe outs and a few breakages,

2947368_1_O.jpg

write-up, http://www.clubmarineseries.com.au/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=28638007

Reports from Simply Fun had them hitting 23.8 knots boat speed on one of the runs. Sounds like the boat is living up to it's name...

Mex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new J111 is staying at Sandy. Nitro & Azza were loading the rag on and tuning the rig yesterday. Nice to see something arrive at SYC that is not just another cruising shitter.

Unimaginative J boat owners have named her "Joust" which, rather cleverly, starts with the letter 'J' but is the same name as the J92 sailing out of Hobbo's.

J111 is a cool boat, they all name with J's, Jake is the other one at Brighton which I think was the demo boat for Aus originally. Can do a bit of ocean and good size for the bay, big enough to take on the chop but don't need heaps of crew.

Continuing the sad demise of the once active Division Zero fleet here in Melbourne, I noted Goldfinger on the slips at Savvo's and am hearing from "a usually reliable source" that some coin has changed hands and she's on the move... at last.

Wonder what's next for Pete & Kate??

J111 is a cool boat, they all name with J's, Jake is the other one at Brighton which I think was the demo boat for Aus originally. Can do a bit of ocean and good size for the bay, big enough to take on the chop but don't need heaps of crew.

Wow, they all name with J's! Would you recognise irony if it reached into your shorts??

Calm sold also.

This weekend the association cup is on apparently, not sure rycv has told anyone else about it though so should have a good shot at winning it again...

Calm sold also.

This weekend the association cup is on apparently, not sure rycv has told anyone else about it though so should have a good shot at winning it again...

The newer one I presume, do we know where it's off to ?

Nup, Calm (the older one), http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/50ft-yachts/modified-tp52-calm/

It's heading to WA

Calm sold also.

Teams are here;

http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2014/events/assoccup/index.htm

It's been on the calendar for the last eleven months so it's not my fault if no one knows it's on.

Calm sold also.

Teams are here;

http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2014/events/assoccup/index.htm

It's been on the calendar for the last eleven months so it's not my fault if no one knows it's on.

Cool, looks like a good fleet, except no HBYC...

The guys on Primitive Cool have managed to bring a rocket launcher to a knife fight!

Much will depend on the weather (was 20 to 25 knots, now 15 to 20 knots) and who is on board.

A little less would be much to my liking.

The guys on Primitive Cool have managed to bring a rocket launcher to a knife fight!

Much will depend on the weather (was 20 to 25 knots, now 15 to 20 knots) and who is on board.

A little less would be much to my liking.

Yeah same, plus it's looking even less now, 10-15 according to the BOM

On a separate issue.

Can we rename this thread? or should we start another and just let it die.

There is no Melbourne Big Boat Fleet.

I agree Don - how about Melbourne keelboat fleet

Calm sold also.

The newer one I presume, do we know where it's off to ?

Nup, Calm (the older one), http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/50ft-yachts/modified-tp52-calm/

It's heading to WA

A second TP52 for the WA dude!

The following message was sent to the Club Captain's and Sailing Administrator's of the Club's participating in the Association Cup.

Final results of Association Cup at the following link.
Individual race results are here;
In summary;
Royal Yacht Club of Victoria are the winners of the Association Cup
Royal Brighton Yacht Club are the winners of the IRC Challenge Trophy
Sandringham Yacht Club are the winners of the AMS Challenge Trophy
Reverie is the IRC Champion Boat and winner of the R.J Green Memorial Trophy
Jake is the AMS A Champion Boat
Way 2 Go is the AMS B Champion Boat
Results for the Y.V President's and Vice President's Performance Handicap series to follow. Congratulations to all the teams for participating in what turned out to be a very closely contested series.

The turn-up for this years Association Cup should make it glaringly obvious to all that the event has become irrelevant.

I can recall Association Cup events with up to 14 Clubs represented and over 100 boats sailing.

How long will they continue with what is blindingly obviously not attracting competitors.

This isn't about who holds the trophy; that too is irrelevant. The point is that this was once the pinnacle sailing event on the Bay and now it's a poorly attended joke.

Fun day on the water yesterday, was surprised at how well Reverie did. Absolut did very well though, had a decent crew and new sails so were obviously running hot.

How should the Cup be 'fixed' Flatbag?

Fun day on the water yesterday, was surprised at how well Reverie did. Absolut did very well though, had a decent crew and new sails so were obviously running hot.

One defending and 3 challenging Clubs, 24 boats in total? How long until no one turns up? It has little to no appeal to most sailors or Clubs these days

It has diminished in size and quality to the point that it has become meaningless in mainstream sailing terms.

It used to mean something to be selected to represent your Club, some even ran hard fought selection regattas to choose their teams. I'm guessing that you probably haven't been around long enough to remember the event when it was big. Big fleets of quality boats, no competing events to dilute the event were ever considered, let alone permitted. Sailors all around the Bay used to look forward to the event whether they were sailing in it or not. It used to be the subject of Bar discussion for weeks leading up to the racing. These days it barely rates a mention anywhere (apart from the annual shit-fight on SA.)

And now... ?

Consider this: These days Yachting Victoria actually allows keel boat classes to program State championship racing on the same day with many top sailors who have regularly competed in the past now choosing to bypass the Association Cup altogether... so obviously YV itself has seen the writing on the wall. As I wrote before, that would never have even been considered when the Association Cup was a viable and meaningful event.

You ask how to fix it? I wish I knew. One-design match racing perhaps?

But sailors have clearly voted with their feet ,walking away from what is on offer in droves in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...

Calm sold also.

Hold the phone...they pulled the rig out and slipped her and then found significant keel damage when they tried to remove the keel for trucking to the new owner.

Wonder what the buyer thinks about it now? Those legal types can get a bit uppity about rude surprises like that.

Wouldn't a survey beforehand have picked up this small problem?

You would think so, if there was one done :-(

Caveat Emptor, unless condition was misrepresented in which case things might get ugly

The SR crew are having more fun than us in Melbourne at the moment!

The Antigua Race week appears to be more like Hamo race week with all the cruising boats entered with not too many race boats.

Saw on the news tonite SY was hit by a boat sailed by Dorro. He has some form sinking boats on the Bay having taken out the first Great Expectations in a Petersville/Nissan regatta in the late 80s when he rammed it with Sweet Caroline. Put people in hospital that time too.

Saw on the news tonite SY was hit by a boat sailed by Dorro. He has some form sinking boats on the Bay having taken out the first Great Expectations in a Petersville/Nissan regatta in the late 80s when he rammed it with Sweet Caroline. Put people in hospital that time too.

The Pig Farmer strikes again!

Fark he is lookin old. But then again we all are!

They were doing the VIC versus NSW teams event for the Adams 10's. Great event I have done a few times hence some NSW crew onboard. Seems everyone ok though.

Fark he is lookin old. But then again we all are!

The Pig Farmer was born looking old. What he needs is Five Bullets in the 'Balls!

It's back

1610070_10152380463084890_44518384716402

Faaark, good one Pig Farmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Good turn out for the Apollo Bay race starting 2.30 am Saturday morning. Talk of a race record in the offing (isn't there always). Beam reach will make the nav and tactics fairly straight forward and unlikely to suit the Beneteaus. The HH42 is going to have to have the pedal to the metal to stay ahead of their handicap. Lovely weather for it.

Mex

BOAT NAME FROM DESIGN IRC ADDICTION RMYS Inglis 37- ALGY ROSE SYC Swarbrick S111 AUDACIOUS RBYC Sydney 38 1.105 BANDIT SYC Beneteau First 40 1.081 BLUE CHIP RYCV Beneteau First 40.7 1.053 CARTOUCHE RBYC Beneteau First 50 1.105 GEOMATIC MYC Hanse 495 HUSH SYC Cavalier 350sl KARMA TRAIN SYC Hanse 445 MILLE SABORDS SYC Sydney 38 1.101 NINETY SEVEN RMYS Farr 47 1.176 NO FEARR RBYC Cookson 12 1.091 SEDUCTION MYC Lidgard 34 0.959 SENNA RGYC Beneteau First 45 1.104 SIMPLY FUN SYC Hh42 1.218 STREETCAR RBYC Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 TRYBOOKING.COM RBYC Elan Impression 434 TWITCH RBYC Beneteau First 44.7 1.108 WHITE NOISE SYC Beneteau First 35 1.012 WICKED SYC Beneteau First 40 1.081 WILD SIDE SYC Sydney 36cr 1.041 YOKO RYCV Mw 50

Try that again...

BOAT NAME

FROM

DESIGN

IRC

ADDICTION

RMYS

Inglis 37-

ALGY ROSE

SYC

Swarbrick S111

AUDACIOUS