Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Listening to some of the old SYC members at my club now, it would appear that Sandringham has been taken over by "non-sailing members" with many of the "sailors" heading for other clubs due to the unfriendly, super commercial feel of SYC now-a-days.

been that way for some time now

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Any serious offers on a Reichel Pugh 36 foot one-off Shockwave design PM me.

Nice looking boat. Non-overlapping headsail? Why not reef the main and go short-handed on the day for the fun of it?

Correct. Non-overlapping headsails.

Smooth Criminal's AMS rating requires she gives Beneteau 45's about 2% (2 minutes every 100 minutes of race time).

Here in Melbourne the laid courses nearly always finish upwind, so there is always one more upwind leg than downwind. Reefing the main and sailing short handed in a race is just not an option if we want to be competitive, as we have to make all our gains downhill.

Listening to some of the old SYC members at my club now, it would appear that Sandringham has been taken over by "non-sailing members" with many of the "sailors" heading for other clubs due to the unfriendly, super commercial feel of SYC now-a-days.

So where are they going??

So where are they going??

Honestly I don't know. Don't reckon they are just migrating to different clubs en masse , but I think a lot are leaving the sport, or choosing cruisier less time-consuming sailing. Why ? Probably a range of reasons. WTF knows. There are no shortage of boats looking for crew, despite declining fleet numbers.

It all went down hill once thongs were allowed in the bar.

attachicon.gifThongs.JPG

I hear they're gonna make them mandatory on race days.

So another almost perfect sailing day for Smooth Criminal wasted because 4 crew who actually know what their doing cannot be found in a club with 2,500+ members.

This is now beyond frustrating.

Time to change sports.

Any serious offers on a Reichel Pugh 36 foot one-off Shockwave design PM me.

Time to change your deodorant Don? A skipper looking for crew is one issue and admittedly that's a very common problem across the sport these days but conversely, the dynamic on the boat has to have some appeal for the crew too ...or they won't come back.

There are lots of boats for them to choose from. Jus' saying

Yep crew is an ongoing problem for many boats, things I've seen that help, only target specific events or a series, then crew can put these in the diary and not have to commit every week. Allocate permanent jobs so crew feel somewhat committed knowing that their job needs to be done - not just whoever turns up. Crew gear, eg hat or t-shirt etc can also promote some form of loyalty. Just some ideas.

So any other Melbourne news? A number of Melb boats doing S2H this year, will affect the M2L/H fleet numbers. Portland race this weekend as a qualifier, looks to be on the nose most the way.

Yep crew is an ongoing problem for many boats, things I've seen that help, only target specific events or a series, then crew can put these in the diary and not have to commit every week. Allocate permanent jobs so crew feel somewhat committed knowing that their job needs to be done - not just whoever turns up. Crew gear, eg hat or t-shirt etc can also promote some form of loyalty. Just some ideas.

So any other Melbourne news? A number of Melb boats doing S2H this year, will affect the M2L/H fleet numbers. Portland race this weekend as a qualifier, looks to be on the nose most the way.

Some crew, skilled or perhaps less so, just don't want to sail with some skippers. Get used to it.

As for the M2P, by assuming some amazing metaphysical powers, ORCV is now going to conduct the M2P completely EAST of Cape Otway.

Apparently Its going to be a bit rough on the other side of Otway but I predict it will be just as rough on the bladders of those poor sailors who will have to sail all those miles and never actually get 2P.

Another dumbed down ocean race FFS. M2P used to be a much favoured offshore event in well prepared boats - back in the 80s before the over zealous compliance issues and costs kicked in. It was often rough and hard and we never lost a man or a boat. Its called Ocean Racing folks but lets regulate that particular arm of the sport out of existence. Tiddly winks anyone?

Yep, so Portland race becomes another Apollo Bay race, this is a qualifier for the Syd-Hob, what if it's too rough to go to Hobart, will they make the first to Eden an official event?

Yep, so Portland race becomes another Apollo Bay race, this is a qualifier for the Syd-Hob, what if it's too rough to go to Hobart, will they make the first to Eden an official event?

They might, seeing as they're putting in a nice floating marina.

From the SI's: Alternate Course -

• From the Start to a mark (location) off Apollo Bay at

S38° 47.50’ E143° 46.10’, leave to port.

• Then to a mark (location) at S39° 06.777’ E144°

45.741’, leave to port.

• Then to the Finish Line at the Canberra wreck.

The course length is ~152 nm.

Latest notice from the ORCV has a new course to Apollo Bay and back to the Canberra wreck site at Barwon Heads. Just another windward and return race. Current modelling indicates about mid teens to 20k on the way there and plenty - 28+k on the way back. Have fun Mex.

Yeah I guess so. Average height of 6m with significant height of 8-10 isn't the smallest of swells to be fair. Looking at the entry list most of them are experienced so surely the choice to race would lie with the skipper?

The problem is that if the race organisers send the fleet out when a gale warning is current and there is an accident or even worse, a fatality, the coroner would find them to be culpable. Unfortunately, we live in an age where risk management and the prospect of litigation takes precedence. The legal action stemming from the 1998 Hobart went on for years.

The problem is that if the race organisers send the fleet out when a gale warning is current and there is an accident or even worse, a fatality, the coroner would find them to be culpable. Unfortunately, we live in an age where risk management and the prospect of litigation takes precedence. The legal action stemming from the 1998 Hobart went on for years.

Yes.

It is quite rare that ORCV abandons a race, and i reckon the chat to the wx bureau suggested squalls 60+ were likely. Quite often looking at wx for races, you can think, if they delayed the start by ~24 hrs or similar, you could get a race and a good outcome. Perhaps more flexibility could be built into the NORs to allow this. Sadly in this somewhat time-poor environment i doubt it.

ORCV have postponed starts before when it's been nuking outside.

You have to remember they are a small group of volunteers so if the shit did hit the fan in a big way they could potentially be overwhelmed in a rescue co-ordination scenario. Look at the Port Fairy race where the fleet got smashed, Inception sunk, crew picked up by Trybooking. Lots of effort required by the guys in the ORCV van to keep a handle on the situation, they too have to eat and sleep. I reckon they do a farkin good job with the races they run.

They are forecasting snow down to 300mtrs in Tassie so there is obviously some shit coming through. I think it's the right call.

Range race #2 today, 25-30kts forecast, very different to the first round, should shuffle the placings a bit.

No placings shuffled at all as bloody minded bureaucracy and so called risk management brings sailing on Port Phillip to another screeching halt. Risk management my arse, this is bullshit with a capital B.

Hi guys/girls just moved down from Brisbane to Melb sailing occasionally from Sandy ,looking for any ocean racing or helping with deliveries, have years of offshore sailing experience, I work offshore on commercial vessels have a bit of spare time up my sleeve!!!! just want to get out the wheel house into the cold, away from the sound of engines, creature comforts, P.P.E and Beuracracy

Range race #2 today, 25-30kts forecast, very different to the first round, should shuffle the placings a bit.

No placings shuffled at all as bloody minded bureaucracy and so called risk management brings sailing on Port Phillip to another screeching halt. Risk management my arse, this is bullshit with a capital B.

Disappointing for sure but I thought it might be more due to the change coming through mid race a fair course couldn't be set, rather than the predicted wind speeds? I dunno, but the bar did well out of this decision.

Can't sail in 30-35kn with 40kn squalls? Best sell boat and buy caravan!

Hindsight actual wind speed at Falkner Beacon were 28kn with 34kn gusts yesterday. No biggie really!

Melbourne sailing gone to the dogs!

At this rate we soon won't ever be racing in more than 25 knots, just like the kiddies in their dinghies.

How the fuck are Melbourne sailors ever going to gain heavy weather sailing experience for situations that arise in blue water events like the Hobart (and even right here on the bay) if they don't ever get exposed to it?

If the current attitude persists, the "authorities" will soon "risk manage" sailing out of existence on this puddle. Until recent times we wouldn't have thought twice about venturing out to race on a day like Saturday with those who didn't feel they could cope able to make the choice to stay home.

Now that choice is made for everyone and sailing is the loser. Absolutely fucking pathetic!

At this rate we soon won't ever be racing in more than 25 knots, just like the kiddies in their dinghies.

How the fuck are Melbourne sailors ever going to gain heavy weather sailing experience for situations that arise in blue water events like the Hobart (and even right here on the bay) if they don't ever get exposed to it?

If the current attitude persists, the "authorities" will soon "risk manage" sailing out of existence on this puddle. Until recent times we wouldn't have thought twice about venturing out to race on a day like Saturday with those who didn't feel they could cope able to make the choice to stay home.

Now that choice is made for everyone and sailing is the loser. Absolutely fucking pathetic!

That's how I see it.

Only one way to get past it and that is skippers/crews deciding still to go on their own accord when events get cancelled. Organizers are scared of litigation although ultimate responsibility for a vessel should always lie with the skipper. The skipper has a huge responsibility and needs to be aware of this every time one goes out. Practice and exposure makes for experience, be that sailing skills in crews or decision making skills in case of the skipper. All aspects of sailing need to be learned and exercised regularly!!

2cents plus GST

+1

If the crews/boats can't handle 30kts then should they really be out racing? Surely every boat out there has a J3 or smaller and can reef the main if needed.

Simply Fun went out for a pre-Hobart sail test and training sail. We didn't see much over 20 knots from the North from 12 - 3 pm. The Southerly change came through once we were packed up at about 4 pm with about 35 knots at SYC.

Trying to fill in the sail selection chart for broad to tight reaching. Went through the A5, JT, J5 and A4. Reef in / reef out. Very productive session.

Considered fish and Chips at Port Arlington.

Probably more useful to us than a Range Race anyway...

Mex

There's no one pointing a gun at your head and saying you can't go out for a blast if the race is canned.

If you want to get heavy weather sailing experience then just go out and do it. You have all the crew there ready to go. You are probably better off doing it when there isn't a race on so you can practice drills/sail combo's without the added carnage of other boats who may be less experienced in those conditions.

Can't please everyone, spare a though for the RC who have to sit there trying to hold station or chasing drifting marks, or the boats that don't want to or aren't equipped or skilled for the conditions. It can be a cunt just to get the boat out of the pen or into the water in heavy weather. Fuck me it's Saturday arvo racing not the brewery sponsored ocean racing championship of the world.

Tee up a drag race with another boat for a slab if you need a result.

I don't have an issue with calling it off when the weather is shit, but to call it off at 11am with no review based on a forecast and when the reality is that at least div 0,1 and 2 could have gone, is pretty piss poor. They could have at least put some people on the water and looked at it around race time, at 11 people were already committed to the day. Sure I enjoyed a few beers at the bar but.... Fact is now they have to decide things based on the lowest common denominator, not the average boat, and the threat of litigation where apparently someone has to be held accountable for an accident even makes everyone gun shy. They might as well remove the part from the rules that it remains the person in charge who decides if to go or not, because apparently now it is the PRO and insurers who decide.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here completely & fear for the Hobart race that doesn't start on Boxing Day because there might be bad weather in the strait in a couple of days.

But a word of warning to those advocating training on days that the RC has canned racing. The right lawyer could make a case that it was negligent to take the boat out on a day that "the professionals" had decided was dangerous.

Judges can carry duty of care a long way if it is a poor distressed widow versus a rich insurance company or boat owner.

TUBBY

But a word of warning to those advocating training on days that the RC has canned racing. The right lawyer could make a case that it was negligent to take the boat out on a day that "the professionals" had decided was dangerous.

Judges can carry duty of care a long way if it is a poor distressed widow versus a rich insurance company or boat owner.

TUBBY

I wouldn't worry about that Tubby. If I decide it's a good idea to take my boat out, then i fucking well will.

If the sentiment expressed here is representative of the majority of sailors, then the clubs / OAs / RC's are not communicating with their fleet all that well. We need to understand why they made their decision (no reason is given other than 'it is abandoned') - and if we don't agree with the reason for the decision, then a push for change can /should be made. Otherwise we end up moaning on forums while the sport sails its way to oblivion.

Notice to Competitors

Club Marine Series

A Strong Wind Warning is current for Port Phillip with winds of around 25 knots currently being experienced.

A Wind change to WSW is expected around race time with an increase in wind strength, and possible squalls of up

to 40 knots.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/portphillip.shtml

Racing for the 08/11/2014 is postponed until a later date.

David LeRoy

Race Officer

This was the official notice from the RYCV website.

TUBBY

I'm not aware of any legal precedent in Australia of criminal nor civil litigation relating to going out for a sail and running into trouble.

Anyone else across a case or cases in Australia where the organising authority or skipper has been found culpable for proceeding to stage a race or even just going for a sail where things went pear shaped?

Cheers

Mex

There was plenty of litigation resulting from the '98 Hobart.

FFS Hughie.

Should we just stand idly by, say nothing and watch the sport we all love disappear out of fear of litigation?

There is more likely to be litigation about under-prepared sailors going racing and getting creamed in a big blow because they don't have any experience in it and don't know how to prepare or handle their boats in such conditions. You can't buy seamanship!

What happened last Saturday is just the beginning, if we stand by and let it happen.

What happened last Saturday is just the beginning, if we stand by and let it happen.

Not the beginning,... look at the Melbourne to Portland race a week earlier!

The organizing bodies are stunted and are not willing to find a way to put perceived responsibility back onto the individual skippers shoulders. Unless we can find a way that that will stop litigation full stop, ie sign your life away with a disclaimer or the like, the sport is dying/changing for the worst.

Don't forget that PRO's have responsibility for the safety of the fleet AND their race officers. Volunteers in RIB's and other small course boats need to be considered too! It's a no win situation when a shitful forecast is out for a SW change on Port Phillip, and most of us over 50 can recall some real beauties. Yes, we are living in an increasingly risk averse and litigious society, and anyone with the ultimate responsibility for running a race adopts the sort of gung-ho attitude to racing being advocated by some posters at their peril.

It should also be remembered that most owners are scrabbling for crew in many cases, and scaring the shit out of them is not a good idea; plus many of us are not so flush with cash that we can ignore the risk of a few thousand $$$ damage this close to Xmas without a qualm.

Finally, in perhaps the majority of cases, we are not sailing the sort of boats that can just reef down and weather a 40 knot blow, like we could when S&S 34's were the median type. I'm not sure I want to try it in an Adams 10 or an Archambolt 31.

Or maybe I' just getting too old.....

If you mean...'is a professional RO employed by a Club more or less likely to pull the pin than a volunteer RO ?' ...the answer is ...It depends.

A pro PRO :Pshould have a better ability to make a proper risk assessment of the relevant sea and weather conditions ,and a good appreciations of his assets and his fleet. But equally he/she might be new to the job and also might have an eye on the particular politics of their employment. A volunteer may have little or no race management skills or experience, but may just as well have been doing the job for years, with no constituency to please, other than the sailors.

Again either pro or volunteer can be a gung-ho masochist, ["we race no matter what"], or a physical or intellectual coward, ["looks as if it could get a bit tricky about 6 o'clock so we'd better not go"].

Finally, either may have something better to do, like going home and mowing the lawn (brownie points), giving some one-on-one coatching to that cute new bow-girl/boy on the Commodore's boat :D , or simply propping up the Bar and adding to the Club's revenue stream.

I'm just worried that RO's think 30-35kn winds is a cut off point for races be they beer can or cat 2 ocean races. And again, no consultation with the skippers. Because of a few inexperienced boats, the rest have to sit it out as well. We pay memberships, race entries, insurances etc, but get no reimbursement, maybe a credit to the next race if you are lucky. Then the organizers wonder why the fleet numbers are getting smaller and people decide to go cruising instead.

Racing has become expensive, Melbourne - Portland race as example. Crew flying in from far afield as Cairns and Darwin to get in the qualifier. Flights, accom booked, provisions on board, all other fees,... it adds up, and not even a refund from the organizers (who also had expenses accumulate).

Onus has to fall back on to the skippers to make decisions to race. Categories are there to assess a risk level. I understand that a cat 6 race could be called off at 35kn, but a cat 2 with the same winds? Race devisions are also there. Div 0 or 1 tend to have more experience on board just by their sheer numbers of crew, so could handle themselves possibly better. We need to keep the sport going, or it'll die a slow death and all you will be doing is watch the Pro's sail around the world online.

Time to step back from the "nanny state" mentality and give people responsibility again! I'm all for safety, but not imposed, but self imposed. If I think it is unsafe then I won't do it. If I go sailing on the ocean then I might get caught out,... that is part of my personal risk assessment!

Isn't this why the Range Series introduced the Blue div (or whatever it was called) so that those with less experience could race? Why not split it so that in order to race in White (divs 0,1,2,3) you have to be capable (and self-declared) of sailing safely in anything up to 35kts sustained and if you can't then you're in the Blue div which is capped at a lower safety level. Then you can cancel Blue knowing that the White fleet are capable when the breeze is on!

I'm sure I've overlooked something but you get the idea.

Please don't put ocean racing or "inshore" regattas in the same box as club racing.

Club racing is obviously the club Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday racing INCLUDING the Range series.

All of these races are either cat 6, or 5+, and include "K" class boats in Divs 1, 2 and 3 which rightly so have an upper wind limit of consistent 25 knots for 20 minutes.

Regattas such as Lipton, Geelong, SYC, Association Cup, etc. which are NOT club races should probably be called at an upper limit of consistent 30 knots for 20 minutes, EXCEPT for designated "K" class boats which remain at their standard 25/20 limit. Remembering that if a "Club Teams" division is run during the regatta, then "K" class boats should not be selectable in any club team.

Finally, ocean racing....isn't that what ORCV is for? If your not happy with the recent decisions by that body then make your argument to ORCV directly. But DO NOT make the error of thinking that just because you have an ocean racing capable yacht that EVERYONE should, or even wants to sail when there are current strong wind, gale, or storm warnings in place.

The range of design and build of yachts now is much more varied than yesteryear (20+ years ago) so comparisons with "the good old days" are not valid, especially if you include modern legal obligations applicable to ALL parties including crew.

Please don't put ocean racing or "inshore" regattas in the same box as club racing.

Club racing is obviously the club Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday racing INCLUDING the Range series.

All of these races are either cat 6, or 5+, and include "K" class boats in Divs 1, 2 and 3 which rightly so have an upper wind limit of consistent 25 knots for 20 minutes.

Regattas such as Lipton, Geelong, SYC, Association Cup, etc. which are NOT club races should probably be called at an upper limit of consistent 30 knots for 20 minutes, EXCEPT for designated "K" class boats which remain at their standard 25/20 limit. Remembering that if a "Club Teams" division is run during the regatta, then "K" class boats should not be selectable in any club team.

Finally, ocean racing....isn't that what ORCV is for? If your not happy with the recent decisions by that body then make your argument to ORCV directly. But DO NOT make the error of thinking that just because you have an ocean racing capable yacht that EVERYONE should, or even wants to sail when there are current strong wind, gale, or storm warnings in place.

The range of design and build of yachts now is much more varied than yesteryear (20+ years ago) so comparisons with "the good old days" are not valid, especially if you include modern legal obligations applicable to ALL parties including crew.

And the skill level of the average sailor is nowhere near the level it was twenty years ago; not even remotely close.They have all sorts of "qualifications" and all the gear, but no idea!

And it won't get any better with their boats tied up in the marinas, locked down by some arbitrarily imposed pathetic minimal wind limit.

Consider this if you're looking for some perspective in this. They allow 7 year old kids in unballasted dinghies to race up to the same wind speed limits that are now being foisted on senior keelboat sailors. How fucking sad is that?

To set the record straight, I am not an apologist for RO's or organizing authorities who cancel races due to unfavourable weather forecasts - I am simply stating the reasons why they do so. How would you feel if your club was sued for mega bucks by an aggrieved widow or one of your clubmates met an untimely end. This is the reality which clubs face.

The CYCA postponed the start of the Gold Coast race around 8 years ago due to an impending gale warning. We had left the day before on a delivery but got caught in the front when it came through and had plenty on. Fortunately, we were close to Newcastle and were able to reach shelter before the worst of it hit. If the race fleet had been caught in it, there would have been absolute carnage. It was a wise and proper decision to delay the start.

I also remember starting a Grassy race some thirty odd years ago (in June!) when it was blowing 50 knots at the heads. Half way across the Strait when it was blowing 55k we were rolled by a huge breaking sea and very nearly lost one crew and injured a few others. This was not a wise and proper decision. I hate to think what would happen to a modern day fleet in similar conditions. From my limited legal expertise and a fair bit of training in risk management, I have no doubt that a coroner would find the organizing authority at least culpable and quite possibly criminally negligent if they promoted and allowed an event to be conducted when a forecast for possibly dangerous or extreme conditions existed.

The problem is, where do you draw the line? How do you give people the opportunity to learn how to survive if they get caught in extreme conditions if they never get the opportunity to race on the Bay in more than 30 knots but at the same time protect organizing authorities from the very real prospect of litigation. It is a quandary to which I do not have an answer. However, I do know that there were many relieved owners and crew at SYC last Saturday when the decision to cancel racing was announced. Perhaps this tells us something?

Consider this if you're looking for some perspective in this. They allow 7 year old kids in unballasted dinghies to race up to the same wind speed limits that are now being foisted on senior keelboat sailors. How fucking sad is that?

Haha, in the RYCT Showdown regatta (aka "Letdown") the weekend before last, it was pretty windy on the Derwent... so much so that the RO sent the SB20 fleet ashore. The kids in the pacers, sabots, etc were still out racing, but it was too windy for the grown-ups.

Did SB's on the Sunday - we were in a different part of the river and there was a bit on (35-37 according to the Pro).. Lots more than where the small boats were... One thing about the kids is that their parents would be pushing them to get out and the kids don't know any better haha..

Maria should be fun tonight off Tasman - god knows why I'm going. Much more comfortable watching it on the tracker at home!

The PC crew stepped up from a Farr 40 they hadn't got anywhere near mastering. There is not enough depth, skill or talent on that boat at the moment to get it anywhere near top level competitive in the short term. Time on the water could see an improvement but without the aforementioned and a really good crew boss to lead the way, they are always going to struggle with that program.

Look what it took to get Veloce from a fair to middling also-ran to damn near winning a Hobart - big bucks, hard work, clever mods and a couple of bona fide sailing rockstars - thats how you do it.

FYI on Terra, we have the same 12 people nearly every race, from all over Australia. Nick does a great job of making sure we all get there for each race. And we all get along. Its a happy boat.

Probably 50% of the guys have done a lot of miles on the boat when Nick first purchased it, ie Hobart, Southport, a few Hamo regattas.

There is some skill on board, but also not having to not worry about mechanics or staffing issues frees up time for other decision making and also makes our training days worth while.

Also Blue keeps the boat in perfect condition. Seriously, don't leave a jacket in the wrong spot... Blue will come down on you like a tonne of Bricks!. haha

Next Job on the list.. Get the new H5000 to actually give us wind and boat data that is half usable!!

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Phil Hughes. Not a sailor, but a fellow sportsman taken far too soon (25) by a freak accident on the cricket pitch. A sad reminder that ours is not the only dangerous sport.

Bit of a chunk out of the port side gunnel, XLR8 had a sad looking bowsprit, Simply Fun announcing on the radio they intend to protest.

Was a good day out there though, breeze filled in nicely and two races completed. Race committee a bit confused with colours of markers but that's ok, Div 0 sailed a shorter course than Div 1...?

From the sound of the tee-bone with both boats doing 8 kts I would have thought it would have been more than a chunk. Did anyone take any pics of the damage back at Sandy?

It appeared that no one from both boats saw each other as it appeared no stb was called!

I hope the owner of simply fun will be organising repairs ASAP so they are able to make it to Sydney. Waiting for an insurance claim will be too slow to allow them to race to Hobart.

Why did rmys run the div 0 & 1 race course so close to div 2 & 3? Maybe they did not read the race instructions?

Rmys should communicate better on the vhf radio about the starts?

Sounds like a nasty ding! Mex, were you onboard today? Might head down tomorrow for a gander.

Had a pretty good today, esp race 1. Decent run out with the boat in building breeze which was good fun!

Yep, significant damage. Saving grace was that there was no bulkhead or frame damage. Ultra sound will tell more of the story.

Phone calls were in made and plans in place before we hit the travel lift. Likely an extra 10 days in Melbourne before heading north.

Fingers crossed.

Insurance policies don't pay out on the 6 months of effort to get the program to this point...

Mex

Sounds like a nasty ding! Mex, were you onboard today? Might head down tomorrow for a gander.

Had a pretty good today, esp race 1. Decent run out with the boat in building breeze which was good fun!

Yep, significant damage. Saving grace was that there was no bulkhead or frame damage. Ultra sound will tell more of the story.

Phone calls were in made and plans in place before we hit the travel lift. Likely an extra 10 days in Melbourne before heading north.

Fingers crossed.

Insurance policies don't pay out on the 6 months of effort to get the program to this point...

Mex

Ouch. Hoping the damage isn't too bad and guys can keep relatively on track. Haven't seen a team train as much as you guys in a while so would hate to see it go to waste.

From the sound of the tee-bone with both boats doing 8 kts I would have thought it would have been more than a chunk. Did anyone take any pics of the damage back at Sandy?

It appeared that no one from both boats saw each other as it appeared no stb was called!

I hope the owner of simply fun will be organising repairs ASAP so they are able to make it to Sydney. Waiting for an insurance claim will be too slow to allow them to race to Hobart.

Why did rmys run the div 0 & 1 race course so close to div 2 & 3? Maybe they did not read the race instructions?

Nothing to do with anyone from RMYS.

post-449-0-26028800-1417383684_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-06231700-1417383704_thumb.jpg

Great to see the troops rallying around for the cause yesterday. Smithy and his gang had a huge timber frame built over the boat and a big tarp in place by mid afternoon while JP and his team were seen scurrying over the boat and assessing the repair even earlier on Sunday morning. Wrong time of year for this sort of accident but with this team in place, I reckon they'll make it.

Good luck Team SF!

attachicon.gifSYC Sunday Nov 30 2014 003.JPG

attachicon.gifSYC Sunday Nov 30 2014 164.JPG

Great to see the troops rallying around for the cause yesterday. Smithy and his gang had a huge timber frame built over the boat and a big tarp in place by mid afternoon while JP and his team were seen scurrying over the boat and assessing the repair even earlier on Sunday morning. Wrong time of year for this sort of accident but with this team in place, I reckon they'll make it.

Good luck Team SF!

Every picture tells a story!

According to SF crew there was plenty of eye contact between the two crew.

There is no requirement in upwind port/starboard scenarios for the right of way yacht to call "Starboard". The starboard tack yacht has right of way.

Never presume the other boat knows you are there. Always call your rights.

I'll bet they are now wishing they had called XLR8, early,loud and profane!

Not sure if you read the first sentance of my post, so I'll say it again.

There was apparently plenty of eye contact between the two yacht crews.

Based on that, I'd say XLR8 trimmers knew Simply Fun was there but didn't bother to tell anyone because they assumed they did not need to do anything unless "starboard" was called. If that was the case there is a serious lack of sailing knowledge on board.

Any crew on a give way yacht who relies on a right of way yacht to call them is risking property and lives. Remember, a right of way yachts sole responsibility is to provide room and opportunity.

From a racing perspective, there are very good tactical reasons for a right of way yacht not calling a give way yacht.

Never presume the other boat knows you are there. Always call your rights.

I'll bet they are now wishing they had called XLR8, early,loud and profane!

Not sure if you read the first sentance of my post, so I'll say it again.

There was apparently plenty of eye contact between the two yacht crews.

Based on that, I'd say XLR8 trimmers knew Simply Fun was there but didn't bother to tell anyone because they assumed they did not need to do anything unless "starboard" was called. If that was the case there is a serious lack of sailing knowledge on board.

Any crew on a give way yacht who relies on a right of way yacht to call them is risking property and lives. Remember, a right of way yachts sole responsibility is to provide room and opportunity.

From a racing perspective, there are very good tactical reasons for a right of way yacht not calling a give way yacht.

Given what's at stake for the Simply Fun guys and how hard they've been working, if it were me on the wheel and I'd seen XLR8 like you're suggesting (I wasn't there so only going on what you're saying), I know what I'd be doing.........and it wouldn't be letting them smash into me. Too much at stake, couldn't give a shit about a result in a bay race only a few weeks out.

I was told there was plenty of eye contact, I don't know who on either boat.

I also don't know what SF's manouverability is like.

I do know that XLR8 cannot bear away with control without the mainsail eased bigtime, the vang being sprung and the jib sheet eased, otherwise the rudder stalls and she rounds up...fast.

Whilst internet prognostications are amusing and a great way to waste your life... they don't amount to much. It speaks volumes that no one is dumb enough to come forward who has first hand knowledge of the events.

Protest hearing is tonight at RYCV. Questions of fault and liability will be determined there.

Admittedly, this will not magically fix the boat.

Mex