Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

So Geelong week/ANA week/Festival of sails kicks off this week, plenty of boats entered - insert usual complaints about entry fee sponsors blah blah - so who's going down for a drink! Initial forecast for the passage race has light SW which is the way we're heading, pack lots of beer!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

So Geelong week/ANA week/Festival of sails kicks off this week, plenty of boats entered - insert usual complaints about entry fee sponsors blah blah - so who's going down for a drink! Initial forecast for the passage race has light SW which is the way we're heading, pack lots of beer!

Angels fans had it nailed (RIP Doc)

No way, get fucked, fuck off.

Entries get less and less every year as sailors wake up to find greedy hands in their pockets. A shadow of what it once was.

But plenty of lonely wives and GFs around this town this weekend heh heh heh...

I know of a 38 that might be available for charter for some N. American Great Lakes (including Canadian waters) races in 2015.

Chicago Mackinac race

Bayview Mackinac race

possibly a Super Mac race (the continuance of the Chicago Mac beyond Mac island to Port Huron)

and the infamous Harbor Spring's Uggota Regatta.

I've been afforded the hospitality of the Sandringham Yacht Club, Geelong Race Week, and the awesome folks on Smooth Criminal; Hi Don! If anyone in Melbourne is interested in an introduction to the SY38 boat owner, please give me a shout. Nothing has been finalized yet.

Cheers, Blubberboy

They could give away Rum and COkes and it would still be a shitty event these days..

Upwind downwind course in the outer harbour - boring.

Try the Sunday inner harbour race around fixed channel marks.. I still remember the Gybe mark when Police Car broke its vang.......We made the cover of Australian Sailing.

But to be fair, scheduling a race through the channel with a ship incoming last year was exciting, if it was an entirely unencessary potentially homicidal act by the race committee. We got to within Ten metres of 5000 tones of ship, as did others, due to a moronic decision by the race committee that started a race in the innner harbour through to marks on the outer harbour and that start time coexisted with the schedule of an inbound ship. I briefed the skipper that the engine might need to go on and we might need to head for the mud but we just made it as did everyone else.

SKipper and most other boats seemed oblivious to what could have happened.

Some of you stupid cunts might like to read the odd coroners report, like this one:

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Publications-and-forms/Accidents-and-investigations/Accident-reports/Wainui-Toolka-T-012774-mnz-accident-report2001.pdf

How much for a rum & coke this year ?

$9.50.

I've got a ton of 50c pieces right now.

Any truth in the story going around about an enterprising bloke who carried his spinnaker pole out through the gate and up to his previously parked car, took the end fitting off the pole, loaded cans of pre chilled Bundy from the Eskie in his car boot into the spinn pole, reattached the end fitting and then carried it all back past the unsuspecting Gate Gestapo to his boat and thirsty crew?

If true, it eclipses the traditional slab under the baby in the pram method!

I must agree, it was down on numbers from previous years, but we had a great weekend. 38 OD racing was brilliant with 10 boats showing up, 2 Geelong boats 7 Melbourne boats and the slipknot boys making their way from SA, even if it got a little hairy on the last day. Corio Bay must be one of the best places to sail, flat and never too far from the dock, even in the outer habour race areas.

Races were run well, great class/association dinner on the Friday night at the Edge. Racing done by 4pm Sunday, Presentation done by 6pm. left the rest of the night to party and a day to recover before returning to work.

Couldn't really ask for much more.

If you think 30 degree shifts either side of axis and 15 knot pressure differences makes a good place to sail then yeah, Corio bay is awesome.....

It's only awesome if you know what you're doing.

If you think 30 degree shifts either side of axis and 15 knot pressure differences makes a good place to sail then yeah, Corio bay is awesome.....

It's only awesome if you know what you're doing.

Exactly. Who wouldn't want to be on the right side of a 30 degree shift with a 15 knot pressure build...

Mex

Having watched the Primitive Cool team butcher sailing a Farr 40 in the not so distant past it was really no surprise to see the video doing the rounds showing that pack of twats butchering their current ride on the ex SMB3.5 in the last Hobart.

What I don't get is why the fuck would you want to show the whole world just how poorly you sail? Heres a suggestion; sell the Go Pro and hire a coach!

Having watched the Primitive Cool team butcher sailing a Farr 40 in the not so distant past it was really no surprise to see the video doing the rounds showing that pack of twats butchering their current ride on the ex SMB3.5 in the last Hobart.

What I don't get is why the fuck would you want to show the whole world just how poorly you sail? Heres a suggestion; sell the Go Pro and hire a coach!

I was thinking exactly the same thing and was just in the process of typing it. It's bizarre. Thought maybe someone got their computer stolen or hacked. Maybe Wikileaks was somehow involved ?? Why would you show the world that. Not sure what there is to be gained out of it. I also love all the action in trying to resolve the situation.......not. It's appears as though they decided, let's just sit here and wait for this thing to eventually explode and then maybe we'll end up back sitting upright again.

As PC had the SMB3.5 owner on board and a host of pros/semi-pros, I'm not sure that you can equate the Farr40 campaign with the RP51 campaign.

Showing the world what happened is refreshing. They fucked up and weren't too precious to show it.

Not on PC but know some of the guys.

Two wraps: one up high; one lower down (round staysail as well I think). You can see the kite halyard is loose at the top of the mast in the video.

Despite best efforts, couldn't get the kite down or to rip (attempting throwing things through it etc), resulted in firing a few flares through it.

Maybe they just enjoy there sailing and couldnt give a shit what a bunch of flogs on sailing anarchy think

Why post the vid then - attention.

Nailed it! Absolutely attention seeking.

And yes Huwp, we have all fucked up while sailing. But most of us just get on with sorting the problem and get back to sailing. We don't sit around the boat doing fuck all for ages while being filmed by someone who should have been better utilised in helping sort the problem.

Classic case here: I don't give a shit who was on the crew list, there is obviously waaaaay too much boat here for their skillz and they have clearly advertised that in their epic video for all to see. Their less than stellar Hobart result kinda reinforces that view too.

Prob not entirely the crews fault for doing not much in the vid, usually the skipper is supposed to call the shots. I'm sure there was depth on board, but if the afterguard makes bad or no decissions, the rest look bad as well. The fish rots from the head as they say. Still, was surprised at the inactivity on board. Then again, I wasn't there. Would love to hear from someone who was. Just sad to watch a beautiful yacht suffer like that!

Next, Port Lincoln in SA (that's South Australia). Anyone know why Simply Fun pulled the pin?

Prob not entirely the crews fault for doing not much in the vid, usually the skipper is supposed to call the shots. I'm sure there was depth on board, but if the afterguard makes bad or no decissions, the rest look bad as well. The fish rots from the head as they say. Still, was surprised at the inactivity on board. Then again, I wasn't there. Would love to hear from someone who was. Just sad to watch a beautiful yacht suffer like that!

Next, Port Lincoln in SA (that's South Australia). Anyone know why Simply Fun pulled the pin?

Hearing they (Pimply Bum) are short of crew for tomorrows CM/Range Race too...could there be trouble in toyland?

No way off track! Picking up a new big shitter next month, Hanse 57 with all the extras.

I think the Hanse has been purchased in Europe for some Northern Hemisphere cruising.

Nothing to do with racing Simply Fun.

There were 77 S2H races on board including the previous owner.

Sometimes things go to shit and they take a while to sort out.

But from those who seldom exit Port Philip let alone their bed room it's hard to understand.

Yeah, I can't watch the vid at work but I heard the story. You've got to admit there was a comical side to it as well.

"Pass me the boat hook - Fuck, that didn't work. Pass me a flare - nope, pass me another flare ... "

Lived to fight another day - good on 'em.

Watched the video last night - what a clusterfuck!

We used to have a rule when I was racing Hobarts - when something fucks up, the only person who is allowed to speak is the person who knows how to fix it. I guess that explains the long silences on PC - I mean, just HOW do you fix the wrap of the century?

They did it without chopping the mast down, and had the balls to put the video up so everyone else could rag on them. I'm happy to award points for that.

We used to have a rule when I was racing Hobarts - when something fucks up, the only person who is allowed to speak is the person who knows how to fix it.

That's a damn good rule. Might have to enforce that one. :)

Protest hearing: XLR8 disqualified , Simply Fun exonerated and granted redress .

Repairs progressing well. Ultrasound indicates that the damage does not extend beyond the obvious.

Mex

XL Dsq'd, no shit. There's ample evidence in a couple of photos up-thread to decide that.

Probably won't make Coompsy feel any better about things though. Hope the repairs are on-time and she can get away soon.

Was this enough for XLR8 owner to throw hands in the air and list his boat for sale? What is happening in Melb with all your Div 0 and most Div 1 boats up for sale or sold.

Protest hearing: XLR8 disqualified , Simply Fun exonerated and granted redress .

Repairs progressing well. Ultrasound indicates that the damage does not extend beyond the obvious.

Mex

XL Dsq'd, no shit. There's ample evidence in a couple of photos up-thread to decide that.

Probably won't make Coompsy feel any better about things though. Hope the repairs are on-time and she can get away soon.

Was this enough for XLR8 owner to throw hands in the air and list his boat for sale? What is happening in Melb with all your Div 0 and most Div 1 boats up for sale or sold.

Sydney 38 OD is going pretty well. 8-10 boats regularly race in sprint series FoS and States. There were 14 boats in the Nationals up in Sydney last weekend. Everyone should go out and buy one...

• 2 weeks later...

You heard it here first - Shogun V has a new owner. Surprising that Sportscar wasn't all over this news.

Why would that be MA31? I was away at Lincoln Week when the news appeared on mysailing.com.au. Matt buying another boat is such a regular occurrence that it isn't all that newsworthy. It was a momentary topic for discussion over there where another, historically quicker, TP 52 was dishing it up to the Div 1 IRC fleet and we were doing something similar in the Div 2 IRC & AMS fleet.

Maybe MA is planning to run a two boat campaign with the 60 for offshore and the TP52 for inshore racing? This TP52 is not set up for offshore racing but is an IRC weapon for the regatta racing!

This one is probably more meaningful in terms of this Melbourne Big Boat thread:

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/lexcen-15-4m/165877

End of a very very long and highly distinguished era?? The training ground for so many Victorian offshore sailors under the tutelage of Robin Hewitt, one of the best in the business. Reputedly hand carved from a solid billet of Corten steel, the mighty Yoko has sailed in countless offshore events and it's unthinkable that there could be an ORCV event without her.

This one is probably more meaningful in terms of this Melbourne Big Boat thread:

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/lexcen-15-4m/165877

End of a very very long and highly distinguished era?? The training ground for so many Victorian offshore sailors under the tutelage of Robin Hewitt, one of the best in the business. Reputedly hand carved from a solid billet of Corten steel, the mighty Yoko has sailed in countless offshore events and it's unthinkable that there could be an ORCV event without her.

Even so, 150 boat bucks is a little optimistic, no? (Not knocking the boat, nor its history)

Wow Yoko for sail, they are entered in this weekends King Island race so still active. The number of crew that sail on her could all just tip in a little and pay for it!

Even so, 150 boat bucks is a little optimistic, no? (Not knocking the boat, nor its history)
even at that price she would make a fantastic short handed world cruiser.

New (to Victoria) Farr 40 OD coming to SYC soon..

Surely not as a replacement for the Smooth One?

Theres always the growing fleets of J24s, S 80s or even the flock of Bluebirds at RYCV if they wanted to go one design. Maybe they just wanna go that bit faster?

Farr 40od regatta Sydney. 5 boats.

Sydney 38 regatta Sydney. Close to 20 boats

Sydney 38 regatta Melbourne. Expecting about 12 boat for a states.

Even South Australian Sydney 38 States had a bigger fleet than the Sydney Farr 40 series

THE TRIBE HAS SPOKEN!

No doubting S38's popularity here in Oz, but it would be hard to think of a more successful 40 foot design worldwide (past or present) than the Farr... Soto 40, MC 38, Farr 400?? In a buyers market, S38 & F40 both look like pretty good value nowadays!

Farr 40od regatta Sydney. 5 boats.

Sydney 38 regatta Sydney. Close to 20 boats

Even South Australian Sydney 38 States had a bigger fleet than the Sydney Farr 40 series

THE TRIBE HAS SPOKEN!

Paying more for the boat to go slower doesn't necessarily appeal.

No..Not I.

Smoothie is about to get some serious love and attention (and modifications).

Still the most fun and rewarding keel yacht I've ever sailed.

Not ex Newc, The F40 is already in a boatbuilders shed in Melb for a pretty up before hitting the water. Should be a cracker of a program.

Should be some good local competition for Double Black, I hear they're putting together a decent program too.

No..Not I.

Great to hear Don, look forward to seeing mods!

No..Not I.

Rumour is you're going for a Pilothouse with inside wheel steering?

Who's the 12 Syd38s maybe? Phoenix are the ones to beat at present?

1. Phoenix

2. 38 Deg

3. Audacious

4. Challenge

5. Chutzpah38

6. Cinquante

7. Mille Sabords

8. Playground

9. Sierra Chainsaw

10. Slipknot?

11. new team?

12. visitors?

1. Phoenix

2. 38 Deg

3. Audacious

4. Challenge

5. Chutzpah38

6. Cinquante

7. Mille Sabords

8. Playground

9. Sierra Chainsaw

10. Slipknot?

11. new team?

12. visitors?

Hmm... F40's not that far behind in numbers, seven at the recent Victorian "States" and apparently a Worlds coming to Sydney next year... Opportunity maybe for some of the Syd38 teams to step it up a notch and go International??!! Would be an easy transition for the likes of the Phoenix guys!

1. Phoenix

2. 38 Deg

3. Audacious

4. Challenge

5. Chutzpah38

6. Cinquante

7. Mille Sabords

8. Playground

9. Sierra Chainsaw

10. Slipknot?

11. new team?

12. visitors?

Let's hope that Slipknot has learned the difference between Port and Starboard by the time they get here for the States.

1. Phoenix

2. 38 Deg

3. Audacious

4. Challenge

5. Chutzpah38

6. Cinquante

7. Mille Sabords

8. Playground

9. Sierra Chainsaw

10. Slipknot?

11. new team?

12. visitors?

Hmm... F40's not that far behind in numbers, seven at the recent Victorian "States" and apparently a Worlds coming to Sydney next year... Opportunity maybe for some of the Syd38 teams to step it up a notch and go International??!! Would be an easy transition for the likes of the Phoenix guys!

Only 5 38s racing in the SYC ODs yesterday. Post Championship let-down?

1. Phoenix

2. 38 Deg

3. Audacious

4. Challenge

5. Chutzpah38

6. Cinquante

7. Mille Sabords

8. Playground

9. Sierra Chainsaw

10. Slipknot?

11. new team?

12. visitors?

Let's hope that Slipknot has learned the difference between Port and Starboard by the time they get here for the States.

Are you referring to this incident in the last race at Lincoln Week 2015?

post-449-0-30697400-1426461538_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-67900100-1426461553_thumb.jpg