Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Social arrangements doing just fine A31, went skiing today instead.

15 out of 20 entries fronted today; golf claps!

You seemed to be bent out of shape about the race management during the CMS. Did you enjoy the holiday traffic on the way home?

As expected it was cold and wet out there Sunday, but not that windy, good for crew to test out their wet weather gear, many will be hitting up the chandlers for new stuff!

40 days, and by extrapolation, 40 nights. (Its the nights that knock you around up here)

Round of applause for the sailor-skier chaps!

I wasn't aware that knowledge of the legendary A31's extra curricular activities was a pre-requisite here.

Couldn't his time be better spent filling in that rather expensive but utterly useless hole at RYCV?

As expected it was cold and wet out there Sunday, but not that windy, good for crew to test out their wet weather gear, many will be hitting up the chandlers for new stuff!

Weird end to the race. That random little not quite windward / leeward bit at the end....

Decent enough length though at 2 hours for the fast boats and 2 hrs 45 mins for the slowest

Wet and cold is right. The dehummers are going to be working overtime this week.

Mex

Weird end to the race. That random little not quite windward / leeward bit at the end....

Decent enough length though at 2 hours for the fast boats and 2 hrs 45 mins for the slowest

Wet and cold is right. The dehummers are going to be working overtime this week.

Mex

Think that finishline was done so the smaller division could finish on a shorter course and not have to do the final short windward leg?! They seemed to have only the one committy boat, so had to do a bit of running around and lateral thinking. I didn't mind the course at all, makes you feel you're covering a bit of distance out there. Good result too. :-)

Mex

Think that finishline was done so the smaller division could finish on a shorter course and not have to do the final short windward leg?! They seemed to have only the one committy boat, so had to do a bit of running around and lateral thinking. I didn't mind the course at all, makes you feel you're covering a bit of distance out there. Good result too. :-)

Both divisions did the same course.

Saddened to learn of the passing this week of The Prof, Professor Peter Joubert.

He was an inspiring man of towering intellect, great warmth and a real passion for sailing and boat design.

His designs included Currawong 30 half tonners, Brolga 3/4 tonners, Magpie 34's, Koala 24's, the mighty 43' Wombats and of course his own beloved Kingurra. Many are still to be seen competing on the Bay today, notably Thorry Gunnersens magnificent tribute to the traditional shipwrights art, the widely travelled Tilting at Windmills.

Many of his designs enjoyed great success back in the day, none more so than the famous Currawong 30 Zeus 11, outright winner of the 1981 Hobart with her sistership Lollipop finishing not far behind.

They were all sturdy, sea kindly boats that you could take to sea and know they would get you there and back, just like the famed Brolga 33' Berrimilla which safely journeyed the worlds seven seas. Even his quirky designs had something special about them, like his bright green chined beamy quarter tonner Foxbat, forever known as Fatbox.

Sail on Prof, in calm seas with the wind ever at your back. God bless and it was a pleasure to have known you.

Its not that warm up north getting down to 10 deg tonight. getting up to 24 tomorrow in Townsville. Oh wait l just looked up the temps in Melbourne.... So glad l moved.

Sorry to hear the news Sportscar.

Saddened to learn of the passing this week of The Prof, Professor Peter Joubert.

He was an inspiring man of towering intellect, great warmth and a real passion for sailing and boat design.

His designs included Currawong 30 half tonners, Brolga 3/4 tonners, Magpie 34's, Koala 24's, the mighty 43' Wombats and of course his own beloved Kingurra. Many are still to be seen competing on the Bay today, notably Thorry Gunnersens magnificent tribute to the traditional shipwrights art, the widely travelled Tilting at Windmills.

Many of his designs enjoyed great success back in the day, none more so than the famous Currawong 30 Zeus 11, outright winner of the 1981 Hobart with her sistership Lollipop finishing not far behind.

They were all sturdy, sea kindly boats that you could take to sea and know they would get you there and back, just like the famed Brolga 33' Berrimilla which safely journeyed the worlds seven seas. Even his quirky designs had something special about them, like his bright green chined beamy quarter tonner Foxbat, forever known as Fatbox.

Sail on Prof, in calm seas with the wind ever at your back. God bless and it was a pleasure to have known you.

One of the first boats I learned t sail on was a Joubert 44 Imogene. Fantastic boat and with lots of plaques showing it's previous performance.

Can any of you good Anarchists shed any light on an Australian yacht builder called "Mander Marine"? They, supposedly, built my boat (Vandestadt IOR 40' Insatiable), but I've never been able to find out anything about them. You assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, any of you know the whereabouts of a Melbourne sailor Mr. George Wilson - the original owner of Insatiable? I'd like to contact him too, if possible.

Nothing sinister about either of the above, just trying to collate original builder and previous ownership information for Australian Registration documentation.

Can any of you good Anarchists shed any light on an Australian yacht builder called "Mander Marine"? They, supposedly, built my boat (Vandestadt IOR 40' Insatiable), but I've never been able to find out anything about them. You assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, any of you know the whereabouts of a Melbourne sailor Mr. George Wilson - the original owner of Insatiable? I'd like to contact him too, if possible.

Nothing sinister about either of the above, just trying to collate original builder and previous ownership information for Australian Registration documentation.

Peter Mander from Adelaide built the IOR 36' VdS, but I don't think he was behind the 40'.

Peter Mander (Mander Marine) in South Australia built the VDS Pion 30's in the 70's. They were a big class along with the Spencer 30's

Try contacting the RSAYS they should have a list of ex VDS owners.

There is (was?) a VdS 40' (the same as yours Weyalan) at RSAYS called "Wargames" or similar. I looked at it when it was for sale but that would have been the best part of 20 years ago.

Don, I thought Mander built the Pion 30 moulds, but Binks actually laid them up. But Binksy later took on the Spencer 30 moulds for John (? forgotten) and considered that a far better boat - he may have stopped laying up the Pions. The Mander 36 was later again.

There is (was?) a VdS 40' (the same as yours Weyalan) at RSAYS called "Wargames" or similar. I looked at it when it was for sale but that would have been the best part of 20 years ago.

Don, I thought Mander built the Pion 30 moulds, but Binks actually laid them up. But Binksy later took on the Spencer 30 moulds for John (? forgotten) and considered that a far better boat - he may have stopped laying up the Pions. The Mander 36 was later again.

Maybe "Warlord"? It is a VdS 40' that is almost identical to Insatiable. My understanding is that Mander built a few of these (VdS design number 346). I think the "quick" one was called Dry White, which was very quick downwind, but couldn't match it upwind with the boats of that era.

Thanks for the info tho'.

Maybe "Warlord"? It is a VdS 40' that is almost identical to Insatiable. My understanding is that Mander built a few of these (VdS design number 346). I think the "quick" one was called Dry White, which was very quick downwind, but couldn't match it upwind with the boats of that era.

Thanks for the info tho'.

I reckon you're right with "Warlord".

VDS 40 "War Games" (blue hull) was owned by David Urry in South Australia and he had it modified to rate better under IOR. She was quick downwind but couldn't match it upwind with the Farr's etc. He did a SH in it. Sold it to a bloke ?? Tim "Somebody" who modified it, painted it white and sailed it in a Melbourne Osaka race ??1987. He may have changed the name to Warlord. I am fairly certain she was sold in Japan.

David Urry then bought a Farr 40 IOR (grey hull) called "More War Games"

According to the official records, available to read in the SYC library, no VDS40 1 Tonner did either the 1987 or 1991 Melb-Osaka.

According to the official records, available to read in the SYC library, no VDS40 1 Tonner did either the 1987 or 1991 Melb-Osaka.

Were they a 1-Tonner Flatty? I'd have thought they'd be a bit big for 1-Ton? I seem to remember the Mander 36 VdSs as being quite big, and around 1 - ton. The Holland 40 of the day was 2 - ton, and I had a bit to do with a number of 2-ton Farr 40's. And of course the Farr 11.6 rated over 2-Ton.

You may be right Rick - too long ago :P They were certainly a bit off the pace against the other similar sized boats of their time. Dry White did AC trials here and was ok downwind but sailed with a funereal lack of speed upwind. Forgetting the 1 Ton thing, records show no VDS 40 went to Osaka in the first 2 M-O races.

• 4 weeks later...

Big respect to Jason Close and his Melbourne crew on the Archambault 31 More Noise for immediately pulling out of a race to stand by a capsized multihull (tell me again why they don't race to Hobart?) at Airlie Beach Race Week. Class Act that, well done.

And well done in taking out the ABRW IRC 2 Series too. Best of luck at the IRC Nats at Hammo which will a much tougher event.

Good luck up there More Noise; strong wind against strong tide in a 31fter = tough going in that league when the bigger boats can power through it

Karl Kwok / Gav Brady on fire in the newest BG schooling Matt Allen's latest Ichi 'gun by 3 + minutes after all those expensive mods. Getting done by that much over the line by the lower rating BG = searing rectal pain!!

What was that about fucking spiders?

Suitably chastened here - big performance variances noted in flatter water.

Looking at the personnel involved across just the first two boats, hate to be picking up just the appearance tab for that lot.

But then I guess Karl and Matt don't have to worry about such mundane things.

Its going to be a tough battle among those two for the top spot.

They were not even close today Flattie with BG giving IB a flogging by 17 mins over the line in a lower rating boat and correcting out to nearly 30 mins ahead for the win on IRC corrected.

Congrats also to Tim Dutton and his mob of reprobates from RYCV on Chantilly in PHD cruising 2. Celebrations should reach

legendary heights tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone think regarding the new super 11 box rule

LOA min 8.5m

LOA max 11.2m

AMS min .900

Want to get as much feed back as we can to make this work for everyone

Please leave some feed back

What sort of boats are you trying to attract to your "new" rule. Is this intended to be "bigger" sports boats or is it for any old shitter in the size and rating bracket? Watch out; there are some AMS rating bandits out there and the A10s amongst others don't need any more free trophies.

Seems already compromised by Super 11 LOA creeping out to 11.2m - what do you have or what are you being pressured to include at that size? Not dissing it, just curious as it hasn't been all that clearly explained.

Crept out to 11.2 to try and include the J111s

At this stage we are looking for feedback to run a division of 8.5 to 11m performance orienated boats to sail together as there seems there are a few getting build and bought not to mention already sailing

The ams does come with the a10 issues yes

Thats why were asking for feedback the more info and suggestions we get the better

Moving to Melbourne from Boston this week, anyone have advice on where to catch a ride? Info on anything from community dinghy clubs to more serious rides would be much appreciated. Leaving a great community in Boston and a little sad :(

Also, read on some (all?) YCs websites that they charge for a crew membership too, even if you don't have a boat/are sailing with a member. Is that a thing? Here if you're accompanied by a member it's all good.

Cheers

Moving to Melbourne from Boston this week, anyone have advice on where to catch a ride? Info on anything from community dinghy clubs to more serious rides would be much appreciated. Leaving a great community in Boston and a little sad :(

Also, read on some (all?) YCs websites that they charge for a crew membership too, even if you don't have a boat/are sailing with a member. Is that a thing? Here if you're accompanied by a member it's all good.

Cheers

All different.

Google various clubs, Sandringham YC (keelboats & dinghies) Royal Brighton YC (keelboats & dinghies) Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron (Keelboats) Royal Yacht Club of Victoria (keelboats) Port Melbourne YC (dinghies) Elwood Sailing Club (dinghies) Black Rock Yacht Club (dinghies) Beaumaris YC (dinghies)

Google yacht/sailing clubs in Melbourne. Might depend on where you live.

To race in Aus you will need to join a yacht club after 3 races. Even then some clubs will charge a crew fee to race if you are NOT a member of that club. Most clubs will allow you in by yourself. You just need to be signed in (state liquor laws requirement)

Don't expect the owners to supply food, drink, shirts as it appears to be the case in US. (unless you are a professional sailor & bloody good)and don't boast of your sailing abilities - just show them on the water.

At this stage we are looking for feedback to run a division of 8.5 to 11m performance orienated boats to sail together as there seems there are a few getting build and bought not to mention already sailing

Thats why were asking for feedback the more info and suggestions we get the better

Cheers

Coming into the summer season is a good time to pick up a regular spot, there should be a few crew wanted ads pop up on YC websites and there's a meetup group called "Melbourne Sailing" which could be a good way to make some contacts. Twilight racing starts in October, just turn up with a 6pack of beer and you're bound to find a ride!

If you are looking at "performance orienated boats to sail together" within the 8.5 to 11.2 m LOA limits, I think you need to discuss with the AMS administrators certain details of the AMS algorithm, specifically whether it includes yacht "typing" categories.

My belief is that AMS places all yachts into 1 of 5 categories or "groups" and I assume one of them would be "light displacement / high sail area". This would help in defining which boats fit into the "performance box". Other wise you will end up with all Benny's, Jeneau's, etc between 8.5 and 11.2 m LOA against J111, International 11 metres, A10's, RP36, etc.

I think it is a fabulous idea. Count Smooth Criminal in. (RP36 design, that's 11.02 m LOA in case anyone is wondering)

Cheers

Just to clarify with a few rare exceptions you need to be a member of a club, not necessarily the club you're crewing at. It's an insurance thing. So if becoming a member for that reason you can join a smaller cheaper club. Having said that some clubs will require you to be a member to use the club house facilities if you live within a certain radius.

Cheers

Just to clarify with a few rare exceptions you need to be a member of a club, not necessarily the club you're crewing at. It's an insurance thing. So if becoming a member for that reason you can join a smaller cheaper club. Having said that some clubs will require you to be a member to use the club house facilities if you live within a certain radius.

A few years ago I was told of a virtual yacht club that you could sign up to.

The cost was the AYF affiliation fee (insurance) plus change to cover admin costs.

If you are looking at "performance orienated boats to sail together" within the 8.5 to 11.2 m LOA limits, I think you need to discuss with the AMS administrators certain details of the AMS algorithm, specifically whether it includes yacht "typing" categories.

My belief is that AMS places all yachts into 1 of 5 categories or "groups" and I assume one of them would be "light displacement / high sail area". This would help in defining which boats fit into the "performance box". Other wise you will end up with all Benny's, Jeneau's, etc between 8.5 and 11.2 m LOA against J111, International 11 metres, A10's, RP36, etc.

I think it is a fabulous idea. Count Smooth Criminal in. (RP36 design, that's 11.02 m LOA in case anyone is wondering)

For the AMS administrators - they can be found here - http://raceyachts.org

Cheers

Albert park yacht club. Cheapest fees in Melbourne

APYC is as cheap as chips and you can enjoy some great sailing on the Lake. Great that is until you capsize and find there's only about a metre of water there and the bottom of the lake is lined with 150 years of accumulated black & sticky duck-shit that you can never remove from your sails or your clothing.

The size and rating band you propose crosses over existing YV Div 1 and Div 2. Those divisional fleets are shrinkingrapidly and have been doing so for a number of years. Is it your intent to run S-11 within the existing YV Divisional structure or to run separate S-11 events? If AMS is to be your handicapping basis then you probably won't get traction unless you either specifically outlaw the A-10 rating burglars or somehow conjure up a way to change the very basis of the AMS rule to level the playing field. Small lightweight boats with big sail areas just cannot compete on AMS terms with those skinny heavy boats with moderate sail area (except maybe in about 4 knots of wind)

Maybe the A10 problem has been addressed, judging by the 2014/15 CMS results

A10 boats here are 4th, 6th, 12th

Place Ties Sail No Boat Name Skipper From Sers Score Race 9 Race 8 Race 7 Race 6 Race 5 Race 4 Race 3 Race 2 Race 1 1 SM50 HORIZON SPRINT Frank Hammond SYC 11.5 1.0 1.0 2.5 1.0 1.0 3.0 1.0 1.0 [19.0C] 2 SM3131 MORE NOISE Jason Close SYC 21.0 3.0 2.0 [6.0] 3.0 3.0 2.0 2.0 4.0 2.0 3 R1347 WAY2GO! Gary Mackinven RYCV 33.0 2.0 [14.0] 4.0 6.0 2.0 6.0 7.0 3.0 3.0 4 R363 TOP GUN Max Peters RYCV 38.0 4.0 6.0 7.0 4.0 8.0 1.0 4.0 [22.0B] 4.0 5 R350 ABSOLUT Richard Gates RYCV 39.5 7.5 5.0 1.0 5.0 4.0 [13.0] 3.0 5.0 9.0 6 R1121 EXECUTIVE DECISION Grant Botica RYCV 54.0 5.0 7.0 12.0 2.0 10.0 4.0 5.0 9.0 [19.0C] 7 B6505 RECKLESS Rory Thomas RBYC 67.5 [31.0C] 15.0 16.0 7.0 6.0 5.0 11.5 6.0 1.0 8 S14 GIENAH Rod Miller RMYS 83.0 [31.0C] 11.0 8.0 13.0 12.0 15.0 9.0 7.0 8.0 9 R35 MONEYPENNY Langford Spencer RYCV 90.5 9.0 4.0 2.5 31.0C [31.0C] 7.0 8.0 10.0 19.0C 10 S47 MRS OVERNEWTON Leslie Norton RMYS 95.5 12.0 16.0 17.0 11.0 5.0 11.0 11.5 12.0 [19.0C] 11 8.0S S369 ELLIPSE Jack Setton RMYS 99.0 15.0 8.0 9.0 8.0 9.0 9.0 [28.0C] 22.0F 19.0C 12 S191 SALAMANDER III Monica Jones RMYS 99.0 10.0 9.0 14.0 14.0 14.0 10.0 14.0 14.0 [15.0]

in fact if you go back a couple of years, the A10 AMS ratings have increased (ED was .881, now .915), whilst many boats dropped. Did anyone notice ? Seems the AMS review a few years ago identified some issues and worked to address it.

in fact if you go back a couple of years, the A10 AMS ratings have increased (ED was .881, now .915), whilst many boats dropped. Did anyone notice ? Seems the AMS review a few years ago identified some issues and worked to address it.

Point taken, change of driver in EDs case has shown on the results pages too. Sorry Max but TG may slow down too now that Tim has the cruising bug.

Note in that particular (CM) series that those boats that beat the A10s are all on the heavier side with moderate sail area, whichseems at odds with the intent of S-11 as promoted so far. S-11 "type" boats like the new ones in build mentioned up-thread, the RP 36 Smoothie, the Thompsons, Elliotts etc are light, with big sail area and they are brutalised on AMS. As I said earlier and I believe results history will show, they are only AMS competitive in very light conditions when they can make big gains on the heavier boats.

If S-11 intends to promote the newer, sportier type boats, the inclusion of the heavier style of boats within the same fleet is always going to be problematic. Simply put, they are not type compatible in the same fleet in most conditions.

Cheers

Is that were the Sydney 38 nationals are being held this year? I will admit I thought the perving at Albert Park was the best in Victoria until I went to Sorrento. Good god they can do wonders with silicone these days!

Cheers

Is that were the Sydney 38 nationals are being held this year? I will admit I thought the perving at Albert Park was the best in Victoria until I went to Sorrento. Good god they can do wonders with silicone these days!

Silicone: Its not just for bedding screws :-)

APYC is as cheap as chips and you can enjoy some great sailing on the Lake. Great that is until you capsize and find there's only about a metre of water there and the bottom of the lake is lined with 150 years of accumulated black & sticky duck-shit that you can never remove from your sails or your clothing.

Ducks and swans dont shit where they get their food from. They much prefer to shit on all the paths!

The lake got drained and cleaned in the 80's I think. Hasn't helped the ear infections!

Cheers

Cheap fees are cheap for a reason. But some joggers do really bounce!

I'm still trying to work out how a Horizon Sprint a Radford 35 can have an AMS rating of 0.903, while Exec Decision (Adams 10) is at 0.915.

It's a function of the rating tax applied to boats north of Sandringham.

Based on the "North of Sandringham boat tax", how does that explain Smooth Criminal's rating of 1.021 ?

I'm still trying to work out how a Horizon Sprint a Radford 35 can have an AMS rating of 0.903, while Exec Decision (Adams 10) is at 0.915.

It's a function of the rating tax applied to boats north of Sandringham.

Based on the "North of Sandringham boat tax", how does that explain Smooth Criminal's rating of 1.021 ?

Wheel tax. Should have stuck with the joy-stick. :-(

Last Post is all over it, it's taken him twelve months to notice.

Last Post is all over it, it's taken him twelve months to notice.

Slow learner mate!

Any news on the progress of the Farr 40OD cut n shut rebuild job that Robert Hick is doing in Williamstown?

Any news on the progress of the Farr 40OD cut n shut rebuild job that Robert Hick is doing in Williamstown?

Which 400 is that?

Not a Farr 400,

There is a Farr 40-OD (One Design)undergoing major hull mods at Rob Hicks factory in Williamstown.

We have a tompson 930 in geelong

A new flushdeck t 980 in construction and an elliot 10 canter in construction all new to the bay we want to include. So AMS may or may not be the answer

T920...... And it will work as long as the type forms are all the same and it is kept to assy boats only. That's my learnings from ASBA and SMS anyway.

Last I checked the A10 doesn't run assos.... Anything other than all asso boats won't work imho...

So what is this the youth version of the SBA

Eliott 7 s can't play with us.

Adams ten and Sydney 38s can't play with us.

So you going the let chutzpah play?

Not with Super 11's max LOA of 11.2m

So what is this the youth version of the SBA

Eliott 7 s can't play with us.

Adams ten and Sydney 38s can't play with us.

So you going the let chutzpah play?

Just going from what I read on FB..."Super 11 Sailing Association is dedicated to promote racing between high performance AMS Rated keel boats with fixed or retractable bow sprits"....

last time i checked A10's and Sydney 38's didn't fit that description. Just sayin....