Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

It cannot be true!

We are racing to Geelong on Saturday in the ORCV Winter Series finale and there's a (warmish) northerly forecast. There's a decent sized fleet for this race too.

I must have sailed to Geelong on the wind all the way about 100 times over the years so this is a rarity.

Oh blessed mother of favourable winds, don't fail us now!

The guys running the show are from Brighton and have a new flush deck Tompson 980 in build .

The idea is to run similar boats that don't always fit well into ams / irc etc. ideally fast over canvassed assy boats racing together

It's early in the planning hence the request for comments as the better feedback we get the more we can get it right for all.

Would love to see Smooth criminal there Don . All are welcome so long as you fit in the box

Cheers Matt K

Here is the race dates for the super 11 series.attachicon.gifSuper 11 Sailing Association Events.pdf

If you wanted to get the ball rolling I would have division carved out from within the AMS Fleet at Geelong and Lipton Cup. They are already running AMS divisions and the Super 11's can simply apply to have their results pulled out for some divisional results. It would make the racing much more interesting as you know you are actually racing for glory amongst like boats. This was done successfully in ASBA where there was enough boats of a single class (5) to warrant running a separate sheet in topyacht. Its super simple and most of the potential association members are likely to be fronting up to these regattas anyway. Those that are not might change there mind if something like this is on the agenda. Who is running the show. Matt K you seem to be all over it.

We did look into Geelong but we were a bit to late to get on the ticket. the lipton cup is a maybe. Tony Cuschieri and jeremy larkin and the two ring leaders of the super 11.

Here is the race dates for the super 11 series.attachicon.gifSuper 11 Sailing Association Events.pdf

If you wanted to get the ball rolling I would have division carved out from within the AMS Fleet at Geelong and Lipton Cup. They are already running AMS divisions and the Super 11's can simply apply to have their results pulled out for some divisional results. It would make the racing much more interesting as you know you are actually racing for glory amongst like boats. This was done successfully in ASBA where there was enough boats of a single class (5) to warrant running a separate sheet in topyacht. Its super simple and most of the potential association members are likely to be fronting up to these regattas anyway. Those that are not might change there mind if something like this is on the agenda. Who is running the show. Matt K you seem to be all over it.

We did look into Geelong but we were a bit to late to get on the ticket. the lipton cup is a maybe. Tony Cuschieri and jeremy larkin and the two ring leaders of the super 11.
It's never too late to get a set of results stripped out of an exisiting division. That's all you need to do. You don't need a seperate do division. I can see if I can organise it if you like.

It's never too late to get a set of results stripped out of an exisiting division. That's all you need to do. You don't need a seperate do division. I can see if I can organise it if you like.

we will both be in Geelong tomorrow. give me a call anytime 0411059183 Jeremy

we will both be in Geelong tomorrow. give me a call anytime 0411059183 Jeremy
Cool, I'll be at the club working on the 920. Come say hello.

I have had enough of yachting for a while

So I have decided to buy a racehorse and

I'm going to call it "My Face".

I don't care if it doesn't win any races,

or if it doesn't win me any money.

I just look forward to hearing all those

rich bitches @ Flemington shouting

"Come on My Face"

I have had enough of yachting for a while

So I have decided to buy a racehorse and

I'm going to call it "My Face".

I don't care if it doesn't win any races,

or if it doesn't win me any money.

I just look forward to hearing all those

rich bitches @ Flemington shouting

"Come on My Face"

So LP.....your jockeys name is Mike Hunt, the trainer is Mike Hawk and you the owner changing your name to Phil York-Hunt.

That will really fuck with the talking heads on TV.

• 2 weeks later...

So the new sailing season 2015/16 starts on Port Phillip tomorrow - thanks to the VIC labor government for creating a public holiday just so that yachties can get their boats ready for the new season; jolly decent of you Daniel Andrews, and such nice weather too!

Only a couple of weeks to the first Club Marine / Range racing - anything new on the scene or about to launch; apart from Hicky's bastardised Farr 40OD?

Or will it be the same old faces on the same old courses in the same old order with the same old bitching about handicaps plus a division of caravan racing to make it even more mind numbingly boring?

Glad to hear you're so pumped for the new season LP!

The only new and potentially interesting launch coming up will be the MC31 @ Sandy. Word is that there are at least 2 due for the bay in the next 6 months. Not sure about them being OD and consequently how they'll rate - but they look like they'll be a handful and provide some excitement round the sticks for those sailing them downwind in a breeze ....and those nearby!

Have they got the land locked boats off the slip yet?

All but one which I believe is due in the next day or so

What's the rush unless they need to get it out before the receivers/lawyers move in.

Glad to hear you're so pumped for the new season LP!

The only new and potentially interesting launch coming up will be the MC31 @ Sandy. Word is that there are at least 2 due for the bay in the next 6 months. Not sure about them being OD and consequently how they'll rate - but they look like they'll be a handful and provide some excitement round the sticks for those sailing them downwind in a breeze ....and those nearby!

I heard that the Melges 32, ex Envy Scooters, is heading south to an RYCV owner soon. That should make for an interesting spectacle as they come to grips with taming that beast in a breeze. Should be a good battle with the new T980 flat top version.

MC 31s are still in build so remain an unknown quantity - they might look ok on paper but I will reserve any judgement until we see them sailing. Bigger sister MC 38 (Ginger) crew suffered a severe drenching with such low freeboard in a Port Phillip chop and they, and all her sisters, have been conspicuously absent from Port Phillip since Ginger's one brief visit a couple of years ago. This place just ain't Sydney Harbour

Any sign of the modified F40OD from Rob Hick & Co?

Glad to hear you're so pumped for the new season LP!The only new and potentially interesting launch coming up will be the MC31 @ Sandy. Word is that there are at least 2 due for the bay in the next 6 months. Not sure about them being OD and consequently how they'll rate - but they look like they'll be a handful and provide some excitement round the sticks for those sailing them downwind in a breeze ....and those nearby!

I heard that the Melges 32, ex Envy Scooters, is heading south to an RYCV owner soon. That should make for an interesting spectacle as they come to grips with taming that beast in a breeze. Should be a good battle with the new T980 flat top version.MC 31s are still in build so remain an unknown quantity - they might look ok on paper but I will reserve any judgement until we see them sailing. Bigger sister MC 38 (Ginger) crew suffered a severe drenching with such low freeboard in a Port Phillip chop and they, and all her sisters, have been conspicuously absent from Port Phillip since Ginger's one brief visit a couple of years ago. This place just ain't Sydney HarbourAny sign of the modified F40OD from Rob Hick & Co?

We will be poking around from time to time as well. We are planning to be at the Lipton and obviously Geelong.

Are the MC31's confirmed? I bumped into Harry Dunning a week or so ago and he seemed quite surprised when I said I heard two M31's were supposedly heading for Melbourne. Maybe just out of the sales loop?

MC 31s are still in build so remain an unknown quantity - they might look ok on paper but I will reserve any judgement until we see them sailing. Bigger sister MC 38 (Ginger) crew suffered a severe drenching with such low freeboard in a Port Phillip chop and they, and all her sisters, have been conspicuously absent from Port Phillip since Ginger's one brief visit a couple of years ago. This place just ain't Sydney Harbour

Are the MC31's confirmed? I bumped into Harry Dunning a week or so ago and he seemed quite surprised when I said I heard two M31's were supposedly heading for Melbourne. Maybe just out of the sales loop?

From the Melbourne dealers website: http://www.38southboatsales.com.au/the-new-mc31-one-design-coming-to-melbourne/

Plan at this stage (as of yesterday) is to have 3 MC31's at Geelong...freeboard will always be an issue on PPB, but these are day-sailing skiffs so no owner is expecting to stay dry. The appeal is "fast & furious fun" - the opposite of the growing caravan fleet. We'll need a few of them in one place and a strong owner association to see if the OD "F&FF" concept takes hold. One challenge will be getting enough crew talent - these boats will be physically demanding and require some experience. Looking around your average keelboat yacht club, I'm not seeing much of that....another reason aquatic caravans are popular.

I dunno about the crew being hard to find, a sportsboat has 80% of the sail area, is a third of the weight, has no winches & can't reef. I'm sure there's plenty of sportsboat crews who would jump at the chance to get on an MC31 & a heap of fit dinghy sailors too.

+ the MC31's are ASO only right? In a lot of ways the ASO is much easier to sail.

Plan at this stage (as of yesterday) is to have 3 MC31's at Geelong...freeboard will always be an issue on PPB, but these are day-sailing skiffs so no owner is expecting to stay dry. The appeal is "fast & furious fun" - the opposite of the growing caravan fleet. We'll need a few of them in one place and a strong owner association to see if the OD "F&FF" concept takes hold. One challenge will be getting enough crew talent - these boats will be physically demanding and require some experience. Looking around your average keelboat yacht club, I'm not seeing much of that....another reason aquatic caravans are popular.

Just a suggestion. Suss out a few skiff guys. The I14s in Melbourne generally don't race that weekend.

MC 31 looks ideally suited to old fart ex I14 skiff sailors such as JT who I hear has ordered the first one into Melbourne.

Familiarity with insanely oversized assys will help and knowing how to drive a (relatively) light and powered up boat in rough seas will be a bonus too.

Lack of trapezes may cause some confusion at first but an on-board ice box is sure to prove a popular benefit. Hope the wetsuits still fit guys.

• 1 month later...

The new Hick 40 named Avalance is sitting on the hard stand at Royals. The new hull looks like a typical Hick similar to the hick 39 (just a minor hick up) but has the new rounded bow look and the transom looks wider. It certainly looks like it has been designed around an attempt to be an IRC rater and does not look like a down wind flyer. No bow spirit so looks like the Farr 40 kite set up with a pole.

It appears the farr40 engine and sail drive has been reused, most of the deck except for twin wheels and I assume the mast and most of the sails. I'm not sure how many $ have been saved reusing this gear as the new carbon masts have progressed in 14 years and the engine must have been low hours?

I assume IRC will rate this boat as a new boat unless they are trying achieve a 14 year old boat age allowance.

Looking forward to seeing the new boat racing and given Hick will be steering this boat it should be well sailed!

Someone had a rant about CMS RC on Sunday but their post seems to have disappeared. Other than that, nothing.

Yeah, a fairly ordinary effort by the RC last Saturday for what is supposed to be the premier inter club series on the Bay.

First race was too long and quickly became a one beat / one gybe per leg zero tactics affair. No attempt to move the top mark (singular) to ensure an even windward / leeward race. Three laps should have been shortened if they weren't going to correct the course.

Second race was shorter to fit it in but still no attempt to move the top mark. Still... lots of opportunities to practice our gybe sets. Lovely day for a sail too. Decent squirt and some well established waves.

Continuing poor turn out for Div 0. Can't blame the RC for this...

Mex

So he's taken a F40, chopped the bow and stern? or built a new hull under an F40 deck and bits ragamuffin style?

I wondered if he was still doing stuff. His website went away and not a lot of other news. I wish I had the budget for a new hick. Apparently they are a bit hit and miss over the years but I find mine a really nice boat to sail.

Be very interesting to see this thing line up against a OD Farr40. Seems like a hell of a lot of trouble to go to. Unless the hull was a 'give-away'. The bulb looks very interesting. I wonder if it's on the original keel section? No sign of the rudder - presume it's stock F40? Either way, I am sure those blokes on the Melges32 will give the big Hick a wave as they scream past going downhill...

YA announcement that the "Australian Yachting Championships" (previously named the Australian IRC Championships)will again be sailed at Hammo is a disappointing move.

Sailing around a bunch of islands in tide, with a huge range of sizes of craft in each nominal division made a joke of the results - no handicap system allows for large boats to complete in a favourable tide while smaller boats have to buck it.

Hammo is owned by Oatley - and its a showcase for his products - resorts - with his own TV deal (channel 7) that does a breakfast program from his empire and a maxi to bring it all together.

Good on him!

Just don't think that its a great place for serious handicap based racing.

Sure I'm biased, but if we want real racing - Port Phillip is the place - with Windward / leewards.

Looks like we've gotta wait til 2018 - after Hammo (2016) and CYCA (2017).

YA announcement that the "Australian Yachting Championships" (previously named the Australian IRC Championships)will again be sailed at Hammo is a disappointing move.

Sailing around a bunch of islands in tide, with a huge range of sizes of craft in each nominal division made a joke of the results - no handicap system allows for large boats to complete in a favourable tide while smaller boats have to buck it.

Hammo is owned by Oatley - and its a showcase for his products - resorts - with his own TV deal (channel 7) that does a breakfast program from his empire and a maxi to bring it all together.

Good on him!

Just don't think that its a great place for serious handicap based racing.

Sure I'm biased, but if we want real racing - Port Phillip is the place - with Windward / leewards.

Looks like we've gotta wait til 2018 - after Hammo (2016) and CYCA (2017).

He who pays the piper, calls the tune and that tune is worth Big Buck$$ to Old Bob. Fairness in IRC yacht racing is the very least of his concerns and those of his sycophantic minions at YA. Its all about the revenue fleeced from a captive group of participants on his own private dung-heap in the Whitsundaes. LP doesn't do Hammo and certainly won't be there for that charade.

Completely new hull out of CNC milled female mould alot fuller in the bow and about 800mm wider at the transom F40 deck modded to suit. Twin wheels added, new vertical foil not raked new bulb slightly heavier, original rudder, rig, engine and saildrive and will have short carbon IRC prodder and carbon boom

Must be pretty confident to throw this together for the Hobart.....not a lot of time for sea-trials and rectification (if needed).

So...same rig, but is it the same rags - or will we see squaretop main? Assume that the small prodder will mean also having a Sym Kite set up as well....??

I'd reckon there will be a certain R Hick on the crew list for Hobart, its always handy to have the person who stuck it all together on board to give his tick of approval.

The delivery to the start line should give them a fair indication of any tweaks they may need to do. I imagine they will leave reasonably early to get the boat up there and iron out any issues.

Noice will be watching Avalanche very closely, there is one that was modified locally & they haven't got the formula right yet. Hick has done a fantastic job of retaining some of the great lines the F40 is famous for. Hope a square top is on order & a couple of Asso's ? Go you good thing ......

Progress update on the MC31 - Deck & Hull #1 now together...The first sail ever made for an MC31 is complete....from Irwin sails... The main is Carbon/Technora MLX with a single reef.

Appears pretty light.

Looking forward to seeing a couple of these in action at Geelong FOS... flatter water will suit.

Progress update on the MC31 - Deck & Hull #1 now together...The first sail ever made for an MC31 is complete....from Irwin sails... The main is Carbon/Technora MLX with a single reef.

Appears pretty light.

Looking forward to seeing a couple of these in action at Geelong FOS... flatter water will suit.

Looking for a good fleet of "Super 11's" in Geelong racing as a "fleet within a fleet" in the Rating Div under AMS.

Coming so far :

Little Nico (Shaw 11)

Poco Loco (T920)

Envyus (M32)

Joust (J111)

MC31

????

Get entered and come race some like boats - more info HERE

Ex Rod Jones 2009 IRC National Champ 40fter heading for a new owner in Melbs in coming weeks.

So, what can you tell us Sportscar?

To quote the famous Mondegreen; Alex the Seal.

Hahaha, very cryptic, but not at all helpful.

Could someone please explain to me how any self respecting owner could enter a Melges 32, in this case "Envyus" (the cruising yacht in question), into the Cruising AMS division for the Geelong regatta aka Festival of Sails.

Or is this the latest low for "hunting for trophies" ?

Has this Melges 32 had a toilet mounted on the front hatch? or an Ikea kitchen sink unit built-in to the forward cotpit area? where, Oh where, is the HD 32" TV and the euteric refigerator ?

Utter gutless wimpy crap.

It was my understanding that yachts meeting the "Super 11" would compete on the same course. Why should I waste my time entering Smooth Criminal when a Melges 32 owner cant be bothered to enter a racing division ? does he think he owns a cruising boat ?

Speaking of no show's, what are the odds against any MC31's being on the race course. I'd say pretty high, given the regatta is 6 weeks away, and the first boat being built in China is not finished let alone on a ship to Melbourne.

So Dennis; Rohan nows your chance to explain and speak up respectively.

Could someone please explain to me how any self respecting owner could enter a Melges 32, in this case "Envyus" (the cruising yacht in question), into the Cruising AMS division for the Geelong regatta aka Festival of Sails.

Has this Melges 32 had a toilet mounted on the front hatch? or an Ikea kitchen sink unit built-in to the forward cotpit area? where, Oh where, is the HD 32" TV and the euteric refigerator ?

It was my understanding that yachts meeting the "Super 11" would compete on the same course. Why should I waste my time entering Smooth Criminal when a Melges 32 owner cant be bothered to enter a racing division ? does he think he owns a cruising boat ?

Speaking of no show's, what are the odds against any MC31's being on the race course. I'd say pretty high, given the regatta is 6 weeks away, and the first boat being built in China is not finished let alone on a ship to Melbourne.

The rest of the "Super 11" boats are getting organised.....

Little Nico being measured for AMS this week.

Actions are louder than words

Enter (Rating Div, not Cruising) and talk it up

He didn't say that the MC 31 would be there for the next Geelong.

Take a breath.

True he didn't say Geelong, specifically, but this is what he is quoted as saying.....reported on 31 March 2015

"Due to arrive into Sandringham Yacht Club in early September 2015, the new owner and 38 South Boat Sales Managing Director Rohan Veal, cannot wait to get the boat out on the water for club racing for the start of the season."

That's a hell of a long build time for an "E glass, core cell vinylester resin construction" 31 footer.

The rest of the "Super 11" boats are getting organised.....

Little Nico being measured for AMS this week.

Actions are louder than words

Enter (Rating Div, not Cruising) and talk it up

Great to hear Super 11 boats are getting organised.

Smooth Criminal is already entered in the rating division as is Joust, and Poco Loco.

Take a breath.

True he didn't say Geelong, specifically, but this is what he is quoted as saying.....reported on 31 March 2015

"Due to arrive into Sandringham Yacht Club in early September 2015, the new owner and 38 South Boat Sales Managing Director Rohan Veal, cannot wait to get the boat out on the water for club racing for the start of the season."

That's a hell of a long build time for an "E glass, core cell vinylester resin construction" 31 footer.

When I talked to rohan a couple of weeks ago it certainly wasn't him holding up delivery of the boat, keen to sail it was an understatement.

It is a brand new boat, being built a long way away, these sorts of projects never seem to finish on time, and there is piss all the customer (or dealer) can do to speed it up

Take a breath.

I've read on FB that hull #2 is due mid-Dec and 2 boats are due to be racing at Geelong...

Getting a bit precious there Don, bordering on offensive and even starting to sound a lot like Rossco pissing and moaning in the background. What makes you think anyone owes YOU an explanation?

Dennis has only just taken delivery of his M32 and is on the steepest part of the learning curve, something about which YOU should be familiar, after all you haven't yet reached the performance peak your boat has long promised, achieved partially under original ownership but never quite delivered under your ownership. FYI, Dennis can't sail the whole regatta so he has made HIS choice about what division he wants to sail in. At least he hasn't wimped up his boat with pussy-wheels.

As for the MC 31s; like any new performance boat project, they are a work in progress and undergo continual refinements throughout the build process so they will be ready when they are fucking ready and not before.

I for one am looking forward to seeing them sailing here.

Osaka? Not happening til 2018 if it happens at all. Plenty of time to work it up?

Pretty good expression of interest list for Osaka 2018,

http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php/expression-of-interest

Historically, very few of the EOIs ever make it to the race. Reality sucks.

Package opened.

Had a close look at the hull before they lifted her on to her"fast" orange keel. Lots of strange looking pronounced ripples near the 'chine' half way along the starboard side. Crap build or has she been compressed?

SCANAS, will not be fast in light winds! Should be a fast reaching boat but the Osaka race has lots of light wind sailing across the equator so I am not sure a class 40 is the ideal boat for this race particularly when the race is run under AMS and/or IRC with the Osaka cup awarded to the rating system with the most boats entered.