Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

One of the biggest challenges facing div yacht racing is the wholesale de skilling of people through lack of opportunity to learn in adverse conditions races get called off , no one does deliveri

Posted Images

no sail numbers called - only called boat names

I stand corrected!

Havent a copy of SI's to hand but isnt vhf radio call a courtesy call normally? ie it cant be relied upon to call all/any....

Correct.

However if boat names were called and you heard your name called wouldn't you return and restart???

If you did and the call from the committee boat was incorrect, you have grounds for redress.

I stand corrected!

Correct.

However if boat names were called and you heard your name called wouldn't you return and restart???

If you did and the call from the committee boat was incorrect, you have grounds for redress.

My bet is no grounds for Redress.

You only go back if YOU think you were over - Not what another competitor or EVEN the RC think.

If given OCS but don't think you were, you protest the RC. They are not under any obligation to advise OCS's and do it as a courtesy.

Calling boat names rather than sail numbers is not very wise and I would argue suggests a fairly low standard of race managment was being applied on the day.

Cranking the race coarse around to the left until it almost made it obligitory to sail through the Brighton Etchells start/finishing line I kind of think confirms it.

I am not having a go at the volunteers who give up personal time that make our week to week racing possible (even I will soon sit in the SYC tower between 10pm and 8am to ensure an ovenight race is conducted as it should)

Just a bit of feedback.

Calling boat names rather than sail numbers is not very wise and I would argue suggests a fairly low standard of race managment was being applied on the day.

Cranking the race coarse around to the left until it almost made it obligitory to sail through the Brighton Etchells start/finishing line I kind of think confirms it.

I am not having a go at the volunteers who give up personal time that make our week to week racing possible (even I will soon sit in the SYC tower between 10pm and 8am to ensure an ovenight race is conducted as it should)

Just a bit of feedback.

Careful rossco, that sort of criticism of race management would get you threatened with Rule 69 in Hobart. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually the YV Keelboat Committee (responsible for running the Range Series) has a running sheet on any issues that come from any of the races, reviewed at each monthly meeting

The Committee in fact encourages feedback from competitors through club committee representatives so as to improve the quality of the event.

I imagine that the Division 0 addition to this years series came via that process.

And I'm sure more than a few members frequent this site ;)

Actually the YV Keelboat Committee (responsible for running the Range Series) has a running sheet on any issues that come from any of the races, reviewed at each monthly meeting

The Committee in fact encourages feedback from competitors through club committee representatives so as to improve the quality of the event.

I imagine that the Division 0 addition to this years series came via that process.

And I'm sure more than a few members frequent this site ;)

Wow, that's a healthy dose of commonsense. Maybe some of the Hobart PRO's and RC members should pay you guys a visit.

they have to struggle with that many fleets out in a small space of water to set courses, not helped at all by a wind that clocked 30-40deg left up the 1st and 2nd beat. options were to move it, or leave the mark - either way going to get some flack! thought they did well in tough conditions, OCS call was a fuck up, but they happen

looking forward to the lipton this weekend, good oppertunity to get a series of races in against the rest of the fleet, one a week isnt enough! everyone going?

Saturday

Northerly winds 10 to 15 knots tending southwest to southerly at 15 to 20 knots

then easing to 10 to 15 knots later. Waves half to one metre, reaching 1.5

metres for a period.

northerly tending southwest - best of luck to the PRO's! that and showers on saturday might remove some of the fun

Anyone got any info on the old Terra Firma that is for sale? Any good ?

TF is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Had an IRC Rig conversion so you can use old Farr 40 sails to "cut costs". If you really want to use clapped out inshore regatta sails that is :(

TF is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Had an IRC Rig conversion so you can use old Farr 40 sails to "cut costs". If you really want to use clapped out inshore regatta sails that is :(

Cheers for that,

I'm looking for a 40ft ish race boat any ideas around $200k- $250k price range must be able to go to cat 1

I'm looking for a 40ft ish race boat any ideas around $200k- $250k price range must be able to go to cat 1

Bullistic

Young 12m, bloody fast and well built, can do Cat 1.

Talk to Gary Anderson, SYC member.

Bullistic

Young 12m, bloody fast and well built, can do Cat 1.

Talk to Gary Anderson, SYC member.

Agree... provided you don't care too much for the ratings bullshit, it's a bloody nice boat!

Can't believe no one has snapped it up already, would actually be ideal for a Melb - Osaka Campaign.

Can't believe no one has snapped it up already, would actually be ideal for a Melb - Osaka Campaign.

Originally named Medicine Man, she was originally built to do the Melbourne Osaka, but I gather lack of funds stopped the campaign.

Cheers for that,

Get a F40 from overseas there going cheap these days should come complete with cradle and a container full of stuff

Cheers for that,

eXtasea the Sydney 40, good boat with rig mods (sweptback) and heaps of new sails.

Spend no money for 18 months. Don't know what price, but worth chasing up. Sitting in Geelong marina.

Thanks all don't know about a Farr 40. Like something a bit more solid, Extasea isn't that the old Sledgehammer? Interesting about the bull, heard stories of weather helm. Stories being stories thought, might be worth a look.

Well firstly a F40 doesn't dive like a submarine ( 50deg down bubble dive , dive ) which is probably why they are a lot quicker especially down wind & are refering to a Bull9000 , jesus give me a F40 any day , I thought TQO was mad :ph34r:

Thanks all don't know about a Farr 40. Like something a bit more solid, Extasea isn't that the old Sledgehammer? Interesting about the bull, heard stories of weather helm. Stories being stories thought, might be worth a look.

get 2 mumm 30's for that price.

race one till it brakes, and move onto the next .....

get 2 mumm 30's for that price.

race one till it brakes, and move onto the next .....

Fack good idea I'll get Chris onto the programme you gunna join us or continue with the caravan ?

Well firstly a F40 doesn't dive like a submarine ( 50deg down bubble dive , dive ) which is probably why they are a lot quicker especially down wind & are refering to a Bull9000 , jesus give me a F40 any day , I thought TQO was mad :ph34r:

No its a Bull 12 Full carbon built by Mal Hart

i thought Bullistic started life as Longitude or something similar to that??

No, Longitude disappeared after Hammo in about 1999

got to say after delivering it to Hammo from Southport it need a bit more refinement foil wise and needed more bow volume

Yes I believe it is, I have sailed on it now and then, its a pretty solid boat in good nick, OK on IRC but not near the top in good fleets.
i thought Bullistic started life as Longitude or something similar to that??

Longitude was her tiller steered sistership.

Bullistics' hull although commissioned for build by Hart Marine, was actually sub-contracted out to Jeff Cazley at Blue Marine. Hart Marine then took the completed hull and joined the deck etc. etc.

If I had a choice of builders, Blue Marine would be it. A very, very well built hull.

I've delivered Bullistic back from Hamo to Melbourne and felt very "comfortable" with the overall strength of the boat.

Yes, she is fine in the bow, but look at her Sydney - Southport results, damned fast.

Originally named Medicine Man, she was originally built to do the Melbourne Osaka, but I gather lack of funds stopped the campaign.

Don't think the original owner (MB) ever intended to do M-O. He used to go into meltdown whenever he got out of sight of the Sandy breakwater :lol:

Mystery as to why he built the boat in the first place and IIRC he sold it within a year or so. Look at what he bought next - 40 something Bendytoy cruiser - as a guide to his sailing prowess. Bully has been a much better boat under subsequent owners. Seems to have been for sale for a loooong time though.

Longitude did about two days of a Melb - Osaka until that needle fine bow drove under while running hard in a big breeze and rolled the boat. Mal and Bondy needed a change of Reg Grundies big time after that one. Hopefully it went on to do the same thing to the bastards who stole it out of Hammo.

Don't think the original owner (MB) ever intended to do M-O. He used to go into meltdown whenever he got out of sight of the Sandy breakwater :lol:

Mystery as to why he built the boat in the first place and IIRC he sold it within a year or so. Look at what he bought next - 40 something Bendytoy cruiser - as a guide to his sailing prowess. Bully has been a much better boat under subsequent owners. Seems to have been for sale for a loooong time though.

Longitude did about two days of a Melb - Osaka until that needle fine bow drove under while running hard in a big breeze and rolled the boat. Mal and Bondy needed a change of Reg Grundies big time after that one. Hopefully it went on to do the same thing to the bastards who stole it out of Hammo.

Mmmm not sounding good either, fine entry? did Longitude have a similar assa pole set up

I did a Sydney - Southport on Bullistic, great boat very strong. No nose dive tendencies. Helm has great feel, even better than our S38

Mmmm not sounding good either, fine entry? did Longitude have a similar assa pole set up

Yes, BUT;

Bullistic is a fantastic boat, and is more than capable of going fast enough to scare people. Which I believe is one of the main reasons she has not sold. In a breeze she is scarey fast downhill.

I do not know the circumstances of the Longitude roll over incident, but one thing I do know is the Bull 12000 is not a boat you push hard downwind in big seas, big wind, with those rather large assy kites, with only 2 crew. Especially under autopilot.

The boat accelerates very fast in gusts and the kite trimmer has to be in tune with the helmsman so as not to stall out the kite and over-power the helm.

With speed comes "wet and wild".

She is not a Sydney, or a Beneteau etc, she takes some getting used to, but as Float Drop said she has a great feel to the helm both up and down wind.

She is a challenge; but the rewards make for some great bar tales.

Yes, BUT;

Bullistic is a fantastic boat, and is more than capable of going fast enough to scare people. Which I believe is one of the main reasons she has not sold. In a breeze she is scarey fast downhill.

I do not know the circumstances of the Longitude roll over incident, but one thing I do know is the Bull 12000 is not a boat you push hard downwind in big seas, big wind, with those rather large assy kites, with only 2 crew. Especially under autopilot.

The boat accelerates very fast in gusts and the kite trimmer has to be in tune with the helmsman so as not to stall out the kite and over-power the helm.

With speed comes "wet and wild".

She is not a Sydney, or a Beneteau etc, she takes some getting used to, but as Float Drop said she has a great feel to the helm both up and down wind.

She is a challenge; but the rewards make for some great bar tales.

That's what we are after. Not a fan a fluffy pillows.

Living Doll won the series with some good consistent sailing. Chutzpah improved through the series, showed real signs of speed today on a reaching track.

Cougar II are their own worst enemy having to always come from behind. A few of the front runners need to keep theirs eyes out board so they don't miss marks. Challenge won all 3 races in the S38 but were pressed right to the finish line in a few of them. The Adams 10 "Executive Decision" very well sailed to win Div B IRC. A great weekend. A bit disappointing to see a few of the crews not racing because of the 40 knts on the track this morning but the breeze dropped as forecast.

Good weekends racing, yesteday was a blast!

But why in the name of god would you have an all in start on sunday? its suicide to have 50 footers heading for the same line as 25 footers, they're simply to slow to be able to get out of the way, no matter how much they want to, the start yesterday was dangerous, lucky there was no boat damage

heres some pictures from the 1st and 2nd range races from Steb Fisher.... scroll down to the bottom of the page for this years - Steb Fisher Photography

Living Doll won the series with some good consistent sailing. Chutzpah improved through the series, showed real signs of speed today on a reaching track.

Cougar II are their own worst enemy having to always come from behind. A few of the front runners need to keep theirs eyes out board so they don't miss marks. Challenge won all 3 races in the S38 but were pressed right to the finish line in a few of them. The Adams 10 "Executive Decision" very well sailed to win Div B IRC. A great weekend. A bit disappointing to see a few of the crews not racing because of the 40 knts on the track this morning but the breeze dropped as forecast.

Great regatta, shoud be more, dunno about Doll being consistent, they had a shocker on Sunday, but set up the win with a good saturday.

No excuse for missing marks when the SI's are out for a week beforehand. Cost us 2nd overall.

Does anyone know what's going on with XLR8 ? They haven't raced since their ordinary Hammo Week. I know they don't normally sail every week, but you'd usually see them out for a Range Race or the Lipton Regatta. And I see Ross Llyod is now with The Doll.

They decided to pull the pin on the program after Hammo and put her on the market for 700 odd K

Does anyone know what's going on with XLR8 ? They haven't raced since their ordinary Hammo Week. I know they don't normally sail every week, but you'd usually see them out for a Range Race or the Lipton Regatta. And I see Ross Llyod is now with The Doll.

Perhaps with Bracks gone as Premier there isn't quite as much cash being thrown about in Ballarat :lol:

They decided to pull the pin on the program after Hammo and put her on the market for 700 odd K

Forward program rumoured to involve a bigger boat again so this one has to go.

700 Gorillas plus is a big ask for a boat that would seem to be past its IRC use by date.

700 Gorillas plus is a big ask for a boat that would seem to be past its IRC use by date.

Brand new rig and sails, altered deck gear. Still a very slick yacht. Thats worth a bit.

Past her used by date? I like to think of her as "IRC over-optimised".

I'd LOVE to have a crew swap, Graham can have his old boat back for a day.

I think there's a bit left untapped in XLR8.

Brand new rig and sails, altered deck gear. Still a very slick yacht. Thats worth a bit.

How can it be "IRC over-optimised" if it's not winning anymore??

Rate low go slow program,

Pretty much sums it up.

I'd put money on XLR8 being slower around a course now than immediately after her reworked bulb, certainly slower upwind without th trim tab.

Pretty much sums it up.

I'd put money on XLR8 being slower around a course now than immediately after her reworked bulb, certainly slower upwind without th trim tab.

So basically they have bastardised what was a perfectly sound boat... Another example of what a crock of shit handicap racing is!!

The boats in the Tam oshanter spent a long night on the bay. Georgia first boat in the long race (only big boat) at about 9am Saturday Boots last boat at 6pm saturday. Bullistic first boat in short race just before 9am Saturday with Outrageous Ben 44.7 just over an hour later. A real drifter by all accounts.

Heard new Flirt will be at the SYC Dec. 10. Sailing within the week.

So that which Savvo and the assembled multitudes of sailing greatness couldn't achieve with DCLR8 in a whole Hammo regatta, you and your merry men hope to achieve in a single day?

Wow, I am much impressed - we must truly be in the presence of sailing deities here!

So that which Savvo and the assembled multitudes of sailing greatness couldn't achieve with DCLR8 in a whole Hammo regatta, you and your merry men hope to achieve in a single day?

Wow, I am much impressed - we must truly be in the presence of sailing deities here!

Maybe he is just saying he'd like to take it for a spin one day, its still a nice machine. I don't know if you were at Hammo, but if you were you would have seen that the sailing greatness sailed like shit. The boat may be a little slower now, but not that slow.

Hmmm. A number of points to cover

1. Assembled multitudes of Sailing Greatness?

I seem to remember the very same Sailing Greatness were aboard the original XLR8? I don't remember that boat sailing particularly well back then.

2. DCLR8?

You've said it yourself; originally a quick boat, now not so.

3. a whole Hammo regatta?

XLR8 has sailed in 3 Hammo's, and her best result I believe was in the first she competed in.

3. Single Day?

I never stated my crew were going to get XLR8 going faster in a day, simply that I'd like a day to sail her to prove to myself she has untapped potential. Much like her predecessor!

4. Sailing Deities?

Glad to see you've finally realized the truth; now peel me a grape!

Heard new Flirt will be at the SYC Dec. 10. Sailing within the week.

As you can see from the photo attached from early last week, it's not long now till the fun part. It will also sure beat sailing back from Brighton on the etchell in 20 knots! Cheers CD

post-23136-1196071285_thumb.jpg

Perhaps they should trade off even more in IRC "Optimization" and get you to helm it :lol::lol:

You can helm? ;)

As you can see from the photo attached from early last week, it's not long now till the fun part. It will also sure beat sailing back from Brighton on the etchell in 20 knots! Cheers CD

That hull colour looks awfully similar to Georgia's....is that the final finish?

Looks sweet; but could you have made the cabin windows any smaller???? I know, I know, helps with the rating.

Hmmm. A number of points to cover

1. Assembled multitudes of Sailing Greatness?

I seem to remember the very same Sailing Greatness were aboard the original XLR8? I don't remember that boat sailing particularly well back then.

2. DCLR8?

You've said it yourself; originally a quick boat, now not so.

3. a whole Hammo regatta?

XLR8 has sailed in 3 Hammo's, and her best result I believe was in the first she competed in.

3. Single Day?

I never stated my crew were going to get XLR8 going faster in a day, simply that I'd like a day to sail her to prove to myself she has untapped potential. Much like her predecessor!

4. Sailing Deities?

Glad to see you've finally realized the truth; now peel me a grape!

1) The sailing luminaries aboard DCLR8 at Hammo this year was a who's who of sailmakers , rockstars etc mixed in with GTs regulars so it was not exactly the same crew as first raced the boat or previously raced yours.

3) The point there was that the aforementioned sailing luminaries including multiple worldchampions, Hobart winners, Volvo racers etc couldn't get her going. You have certainly got the 36 going better than had previously been the case but as good as you may claim to be, you and yours can't claim the credentials of the luminaries.

4) I don't do grapes.

Looks great Chris. All the best with this new toy.

How have you gone maintaining the regular crew during the absence of a big boat? Last time I looked etchells only need a crew of 3 or 4.

Mex

The sailing luminaries aboard DCLR8 at Hammo this year was a who's who of sailmakers , rockstars etc mixed in with GTs regulars so it was not exactly the same crew as first raced the boat or previously raced yours.

That makes the Sailing Luminaries on XLR8 at Hammo this year worse than the previously mentioned Sailing Greatness aboard XLR8.

Just goes to show, you just can't go past a crew of Sailing Dieities!!!

That makes the Sailing Luminaries on XLR8 at Hammo this year worse than the previously mentioned Sailing Greatness aboard XLR8.

Just goes to show, you just can't go past a crew of Sailing Dieities!!!

What the f*#k are "Dieities"?

Dead Italians or perhaps Gods trying to lose weight?? Bit of a strretch to consider your entire crew as deities. One in particular falls far short.

The luminaries and the Sailing Greatness are the same bunch. I think we are flogging a dead, or at least terminally ill, horse here.

Disregarding the relative merits of various crew combinations, it is sad to see so much effort, not to mention $$$ put into that boat for fuck all, indeed negative return in terms of outright performance and eventual nett worth.

On a related topic, what's happening with her faster but seriously pranged sister SMB2? Is it still at Mornington? Heard rumours it may be a CTL from an insurance point of view. Probably could buy that as is, fix it up and be faster at less cost than DCLR8.

Looks great Chris. All the best with this new toy.

How have you gone maintaining the regular crew during the absence of a big boat? Last time I looked etchells only need a crew of 3 or 4.

Mex

95% of my crew from the old boat have committed to return which was part of the deal when I decided to build the new one and hopefully a reflection of how we try run the program. The etchell sure is easier to arrange crew wise, but I am spoilt alot with some very loyal and committed people within the big boat crew. That said as with probably any boat, we are always looking for any new people who are committed what we are trying to achieve.

95% of my crew from the old boat have committed to return which was part of the deal when I decided to build the new one and hopefully a reflection of how we try run the program. The etchell sure is easier to arrange crew wise, but I am spoilt alot with some very loyal and committed people within the big boat crew. That said as with probably any boat, we are always looking for any new people who are committed what we are trying to achieve.

Yep - it is a good crew. The rumours of the bizarre initiation rituals have been exaggerated a bit - although it is true what they make you do wearing the Living Doll hat! (crazy stuff).

Are you sticking with the name 'Flirt' or have something else up your sleeve ?

:rolleyes: - your crew have still been racing big boats haven't they?...They need to stay sharp. That said some may wish they could go to windward offwatch whilst watching a DVD or sit at the table to eat a roast "Winnabago" style. :lol::P

What the f*#k are "Dieities"?

Dead Italians or perhaps Gods trying to lose weight?? Bit of a strretch to consider your entire crew as deities. One in particular falls far short.

The luminaries and the Sailing Greatness are the same bunch. I think we are flogging a dead, or at least terminally ill, horse here.

Disregarding the relative merits of various crew combinations, it is sad to see so much effort, not to mention $$$ put into that boat for fuck all, indeed negative return in terms of outright performance and eventual nett worth.

On a related topic, what's happening with her faster but seriously pranged sister SMB2? Is it still at Mornington? Heard rumours it may be a CTL from an insurance point of view. Probably could buy that as is, fix it up and be faster at less cost than DCLR8.

I'll take that as a no. :P

I'll take that as a no. :P

And yet again Tossco, you'd be wrong.