Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

On 1/30/2021 at 5:57 PM, Last Post said:

Faaark, TWO dismastings and a hole punched in another. WTF was going on off Sandy this afternoon.

The Bear will be grumpy(er) tonight.

Which boats were dismasted?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

One of the biggest challenges facing div yacht racing is the wholesale de skilling of people through lack of opportunity to learn in adverse conditions races get called off , no one does deliveri

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

12 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Someone is gonna bring a machine gun to knife fight

Yep, I can imagine that boat upwind in 15 to 18 knots SW in Port Philip, especially given this last weekends carnage out of SYC. The result would make her capsize in Auckland look fairly tame.

On 01/02/2021 at 2:38 PM, Don said:

Yep, I can imagine that boat upwind in 15 to 18 knots SW in Port Philip, especially given this last weekends carnage out of SYC. The result would make her capsize in Auckland look fairly tame.

Seemed to go ok today.

Nice looking weapon.

I agree a SW swell might be difficult, but they appear to have fun downhill

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

On topic for a change with an actual big boat, but after a year hibernating in Sydney, Primitive Cool is back in Melbourne. 

It's now living at SYC. 

Saw Sud's van in the SYC car park - couldn't they find their way back to the Squaddy?

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Anyone know if there's a working webcam that covers the entrance to Port Phillip Heads?? Can't find any that are actually working on the google searches that I've done so far.

Port of Melb used to have a couple, but decommissioned them a year or so ago. Don't know of any others

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sandringham Yacht Club has dropped IRC from their rating handicap racing starting this Winter series. It appears the ORC club has grown in popularity along with AMS rating.

I assume all the other Melbourne clubs are doing the same?

Not sure what is happening in Sydney but not sure if the CYCA are still persisting with IRC for the Sydney Hobart race overall results, but this may be tied up with a condition of the Rolex Sydney Hobart sponsorship?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jethrow said:

I think it depends on whatever Rating system Ichi Ban is using... :P

Fuck I hate remembering that all the decisions in our sport depend on one selfish bastard's latest fad

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fintho said:

Fuck I hate remembering that all the decisions in our sport depend on one selfish bastard's latest fad

Careful, you don't want to end up on the list of people his lawyers talk to.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohull10_4.jpgs/mcconaghy-mc31-one-design/262224

Not exactly a big boat.... Cat 5, and the ad says good offshore? What cat would she be able to get to? Looks like fun - if a touch wet... 2up she'd have to be a touch tender. 

The usually do the cat 3 Bass Strait races two up. Entered into the Apollo Bay race next weekend.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

They usually do the Cat 3 Bass Strait races two up. Entered into the Apollo Bay race next weekend.

MC31 can get to Cat 2 according to designer Harry Dunning. Reasonably good stability too, 2.6m draft will do that.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

MC31 can get to Cat 2 according to designer Harry Dunning. Reasonably good stability too, 2.6m draft will do that.

The submarine class more suited to warmer waters, much further north

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Couta said:

MC31...a sheep in wolf's clothing :rolleyes:

And no way would you take that into a ppb 25knot southerly, let alone out of the heads.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, huwp said:

And no way would you take that into a ppb 25knot southerly, let alone out of the heads.

Uh huh

22 hours ago, huwp said:

That would take some balls, so I guess that counts you keyboard warriors out? Its been offshore plenty of times and is entered for Apollo Bay again this weekend.

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

That would take some balls, so I guess that counts you keyboard warriors out? Its been offshore plenty of times and is entered for Apollo Bay again this weekend.

Yeah, that's why there are so many sold and racing off shore

3 hours ago, Last Post said:

do try to keep up...

On 5/16/2021 at 10:53 PM, The Dark Knight said:

The usually do the cat 3 Bass Strait races two up. Entered into the Apollo Bay race next weekend.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:01 PM, ALL@SEA said:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohull10_4.jpgs/mcconaghy-mc31-one-design/262224

Not exactly a big boat.... Cat 5, and the ad says good offshore? What cat would she be able to get to? Looks like fun - if a touch wet... 2up she'd have to be a touch tender. 

but what does it actually weigh?

more than 2150kg  as advertised?

On 1/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, Recidivist said:

What's up with the camel hump in the fence between keel and rudder?  I don't recall that on the Swanno 36's.

I can confirm I am 36 have no unknown lumps

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Looking like good weather for the Apollo Bay race. 19c and sunny with a 10-15 northerly, so a broad reach.

Could be good for Next Step?

Going Hoppy ? It can get chilly as fuck

On 5/16/2021 at 10:01 PM, ALL@SEA said:

"under offer"

On 5/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, Middlefinger said:

Didnt seem to going to badly out of the heads. 

DSCN5485.JPG

Going, going, gone - SOLD IN A WEEK !!

• Like 4
17 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Going, going, gone - SOLD IN A WEEK !!

Not surprised when it looked to have twice the gear and half the price of the one listed in Sydney. 

6 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

sounds like you listed it way too low...

Nah, the boat market is as crazy as the housing market right now. Add cars, caravans to that too

9 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

sounds like you listed it way too low...

We listed it right and sold it promptly. That's the way it works when you do it properly. Remember how I sold your own boat?

• Like 3