Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Has anyone had the chance yet to take a look downstairs on Flirt ? It looks pretty sweet with polished floor boards and all from the photos but would be interested to hear from anyone what it's like for real. Actually having a closer look could be pretty slippery with a bit of water on it ???

Had the privledge of being down stairs at the yacht's christening. there seemed to be enough grip even when wearing socks. the yacht is a testerment to all in volved. Steve Campbell and Co did a magnificent job on the build.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much f

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can alw

Posts that do not age well...

Posted Images

Has anyone had the chance yet to take a look downstairs on Flirt ? It looks pretty sweet with polished floor boards and all from the photos but would be interested to hear from anyone what it's like for real. Actually having a closer look could be pretty slippery with a bit of water on it ???

The new boat is really nice downstairs. It has quite a few concessions to comfort that the old one didn't.

The galley is a lot more functional and includes an oven and built in fridge/freezer (no more chilly bins). There is heaps of storage space.

The head is enclosed which is better for peoples modesty and a lot less precarious when slamming to windward on port tack.

There are 16 lockers for crew gear so there will be zero crap lying around the boat when offshore, plus a rack for all their wet weather kit.

Nav station is behind the engine box, which will be drier than one adjacent to the companionway where the old one was.

The floor boards have some non-slip tape on them. There are quite a few hand-holds. The space will be great for dragging/packing sails.

Only (unavoidable) complaint is that the winch gear is perfectly located to whack your head every time you go aft.

Also I still haven't located the rec-room or any secret revolving mini bars.

Had the privledge of being down stairs at the yacht's christening. there seemed to be enough grip even when wearing socks. the yacht is a testerment to all in volved. Steve Campbell and Co did a magnificent job on the build.

Agreed, a nice piece of advertising for Mr Campbell and hopefully more to come !!

Cast of thousands working on Flirt 11 today including SC and his guys plus a team from NZ rigging. Fine tuning?

One question guys, how do you fire the tack line on the kite with such a lengthy prodder?? Saw the boat out at sandy today, It looked like the guys working on it were wet rubbing her bottom...Am i right in my suspicions?

One question guys, how do you fire the tack line on the kite with such a lengthy prodder?? Saw the boat out at sandy today, It looked like the guys working on it were wet rubbing her bottom...Am i right in my suspicions?

you fire the snap shackle with a remote tappered plug that fits in the firing hole in the gibb, tylaska, sparcraft snap shackle when you pull the string attached to the plug the shackle fires.

you fire the snap shackle with a remote tappered plug that fits in the firing hole in the gibb, tylaska, sparcraft snap shackle when you pull the string attached to the plug the shackle fires.

It's called a Martin Breaker.

Apparently CD's just ditched a couple of his regulars to bring on some rockstars for docklands & geelong.. ouch!

Perhaps a sign he's worried about his preparation? (or lack thereof :P

Anyone know who the are? AC material perhaps, to match Beau Geste etc??

Unfortunately he has a history of doing that. Not gonna win too many friends if he keeps that up.

Unfortunately he has a history of doing that. Not gonna win too many friends if he keeps that up.

I have coped a bit on this topic in SA over the past 2 years so feel compelled to respond. Perhaps you should check your sources flipping out, because you are flippin wrong.

I cannot unfortunately take three poeple that have sailed on the boat since we launched only a few weeks ago. Two of those people have just joined the crew and are completely Ok with the decision. One has sailed with me for a year, is understandably very disappointed he has missed out, but understands the situation. I should know, I personally rang them all to tell them, something other owners often chose to get their boat managers to do. From what they tell me, all three will be back after the next two weeks. Hardly what you would call "ditched".

They have not been replaced by any "rockstars", with every single person on the boat having sailed with me for many years, other than one who is also new. I'd take all 18 of them if I could but unfortunately the next two Skandia reggats have crew limitations, unlike most weekends we sail.

As with all of my programs, not one person on the boat is paid to sail with me. I enjoy the company of the people I sail with and they enjoy sailing with me, having a good boat and being part of a good "corinthian" team with an owner who likes to drive his owne boat rather than bring in someone else, who is likely to be better, to do so.

As for my track record is easing people, well my record speaks for itself. I have had 6-8 people of my crew sail with me for over 7 years, another 5-6 for at least 3 years in the old Flirt and I have had many people wanting to sail on the new boat, all of which have been declined due to the fact that I believe I am very loyal to my crew. The fact that 13 of the crew from the old boat have come back to be part of the new boat speakes for itself doesn't it?

Perhaps you should just worry about doing your job down at SYC rather than spreading bullshit like you have on this thread.

or a KIWI Breaker :P;)

It's been a long summer Giddy Up but I just keep bouncing back from the old sheep jokes. In fact they just keep getting funnier in my books - so its safe to say there isn't anything on Flirt that will break a Kiwi.

Speaking of rockstars (see previous entertaining posts), I had a coffee at the CYC with Frenchy today - he is excited about linking up with the lads again.

Rossco, if he can fit on with you guys great. I couldn't think of any other boat he would prefer. Cheers CD

Chris, absolutely love sailing with your man as he adds a lot of value to the boat, but we also understand he is only "on loan"

although, this is sailing anarchy, and one of your new boys is AC "material" <_<

Speaking of kiwis - the embedded America's Cup fitness, advancement, tactical, technical, technology, boathandling, on-water-consultant and yachtmaster (FATTTBOY) adviser on Flirt (as exposed scandalously by wobble) will probably know what a jandal or a chilly-bin is too.

It doesn't stop there Wobble. Flirt has the same seacocks as Alinghi had for the defence. We also carry a secret bottle-opener that Oracle originally developed but couldn't use after the Jury ruled it out.

Ahh.

Chilly bins and slaps, I'm getting home sick!

And "Martin" only developed the Breaker because he refused to go out on a pole in the Southern Ocean doing 30+ knots with a spike!

Ahh Grasshopper,

The tack tripper used to fire the pin from the tack clip. More often than not the clip pin ring broke leaving the pin isolated in the clip under full load. The bowman then had to go out on the pole to fire a clip with no ring to pull the pin.

Ever fired an old spinnaker clip with a spike under load with a busted pin ring? I,ve only ever done it once. Never, ever again.

The Martin Breaker works well as a retro fit only to Tylaska, Gibb or Wishard clips. Much safer.

Ok, I know I'll cop some flak for this! Have a look at the attached images, the new Flirt and the Rogers 46 are horribly similar, even the bow rail. Make your own decision!

I'll give you the tip.....nothin like each other other than they are at the same corner of the rule.

cheers GU

I'll give you the tip.....nothin like each other other than they are at the same corner of the rule.

cheers GU

Sorry GU too good to pass up. I would love to hear why?

I suppose this is based on your long and studious study of the intricacies and subtle nuances of the finer aspects of naval architecture. Would love to hear your theories on the respective analysis of the Reynolds curve and how it pertains to both designs and the difference in their treatment of the prismatic coefficient.

Only Joshing, good luck over the next fortnight.

(even the bow rail. Make your own decision!)

The pulpit on the Geelong Rogers was remodelled after the first ocean race to enable, code zero furler to be mounted and actually furl without a torrent of expletives and big hammer furler re alignement from disgruntled bowman, new furler and pulpit now much quieter to operate!

(even the bow rail. Make your own decision!)

The pulpit on the Geelong Rogers was remodelled after the first ocean race to enable, code zero furler to be mounted and actually furl without a torrent of expletives and big hammer furler re alignement from disgruntled bowman, new furler and pulpit now much quieter to operate!

Wow, a disgruntled bowman, torrent of expletives, nah that never happens ;) It was designed like that as the back half of the boat actually enjoy watching you 'mounting' the code zero in a sort of sick twisted way (especially the tactician), it makes my day complete anyway.

Sorry GU too good to pass up. I would love to hear why?

I suppose this is based on your long and studious study of the intricacies and subtle nuances of the finer aspects of naval architecture. Would love to hear your theories on the respective analysis of the Reynolds curve and how it pertains to both designs and the difference in their treatment of the prismatic coefficient.

Only Joshing, good luck over the next fortnight.

did you forget to take your medication again?

Ok, I know I'll cop some flak for this! Have a look at the attached images, the new Flirt and the Rogers 46 are horribly similar, even the bow rail. Make your own decision!

I just started to have lunch and realised no one had gotten around to flaming Chris11726, so...

One of these boats is at least two tonnes (30%) heavier than the other.

One of the boats has a pole the other has a prodder.

One of the boats is a metre shorter.

One is beamy, the other is considerably narrower.

One rates around 1.27 the other is around 1.3

One is white, the other is silver

One of them draws 30%+ more than the other

The deck layouts are different in important ways

The interiors are completely different

One is named after an oriental warlord and one is named after someone who makes playful, romantic or sexual overtures

But they have the same Pulpit geometry and a plumb bow so they are similar?

Prismatic coefficient is probably higher for Flirt (and probably even higher for the Living Doll).

Scarecrow can probably enlighten us more here given his expertise, but I would assume that at low Reynolds numbers (=laminar flow) the Rogers would be inhibited by its shorter waterline to the tune of 3-4%.

Bugger... need to do some work and I was just getting started.

I just started to have lunch and realised no one had gotten around to flaming Chris11726, so...

One is named after an oriental warlord and one is named after someone who makes playful, romantic or sexual overtures

Prismatic coefficient is probably higher for Flirt (and probably even higher for the Living Doll).

Scarecrow can probably enlighten us more here given his expertise, but I would assume that at low Reynolds numbers (=laminar flow) the Rogers would be inhibited by its shorter waterline to the tune of 3-4%.

Beautiful -what he said! Other than that nearly identical.

did you get all that Danbouy?...Sorry mate they are similar !

they both have twin wheels though...gotta be the same right?

oh - 1 has a remote control for trimming the other requires someone to crack the whip !

did you get all that Danbouy?...Sorry mate they are similar !

they both have twin wheels though...gotta be the same right?

oh - 1 has a remote control for trimming the other requires someone to crack the whip !

If you want to be like that, I never actually questioned the similiarity or difference between the designs only the credentials behind the comment in a tongue in cheek manner.

Feel free to indulge us???

If you want to be like that, I never actually questioned the similiarity or difference between the designs only the credentials behind the comment in a tongue in cheek manner.

Feel free to indulge us???

:P

The geelong roger has a prodder though doen't it, thats similar!!!!

Well that is all I needed to be convinced

The family orientated crew of Extasea is wrapped that Grace is their celebrity challenger and with a bit of breeze forecast for Port Phillip on Saturday afternoon, they’re hoping to be able to show her the thrills of yacht racing on their 46 footer.

What did they wrap you fellas in?

Were you able to show her your 46 footer in a thrilling way?

Did you write that copy??

Inquiring minds and all that G....

GMcC

Anyone know what happened to Chutzpah in the Docklands Invitational.? Beau Geste with Brady and gang on board came 1st however I was shocked to see Chutzpah way down the results board..?

Very different boats.

B G is 45ft with the advantage of an all star crew. Rates like a 48-50 fter and sails consistently at that speed.

C is 40ft and rates high too. At a guess I would say she has been slanted more towards offshore ( reaching & running) performance than round the buoys. Div winner and 4th O/all in the Hobart is not too shabby.

Very different boats.

B G is 45ft with the advantage of an all star crew. Rates like a 48-50 fter and sails consistently at that speed.

C is 40ft and rates high too. At a guess I would say she has been slanted more towards offshore ( reaching & running) performance than round the buoys. Div winner and 4th O/all in the Hobart is not too shabby.

Anyone know who is rumoured to have bought Beau Geste ?

What did they wrap you fellas in?

Were you able to show her your 46 footer in a thrilling way?

Did you write that copy??

Inquiring minds and all that G....

GMcC

She didn't get to see my 46fter...I didn't make it to the regatta. she enjoyed the sailing though

Anyone know a rumour about a new RP 63 being built down your way?

Buiding at Mal Harts for SA 's Geoff Boettcher "Secret Mens Room 111?"

I'm tipping CD would have had Flirt designed and built to firstly survive and then win a Hobart and would not have ordered a light weight flyer to win around the cans at Geeong.

...aint that the truth.

:ph34r: Where did flirt finish in the passage race?

Mal's got the job for Allan Briety's new Limit which is a RP 63.

Mex

Yes but it's a 62 :P

Spoke to some of the blokes off Flirt and they are a bit heavy but they can extract some rods of lead from the keel to make her a little more responsive . Overall they were all very happy and she is an awesome looking boat , keep going lads .

Nah but there may be a new one for sale..

How heavy is Flirt btw?

TBG, if you are suggesting Flirt may be for sale, then maybe Mr Hanna or Mr Taylor might like to look at it. The Flirt guys seem to well advanced of both these boats after just 2 weeks racing and they seemed very happy with their progress at SGW.

I think GB's is a 48 footer.

Correct re GBs new SMB 111 and the 63 fter is the new Limit for Al Brierty.

At that rate Mal's gonna be way too busy to build any more Shockwave 36's :P

I have been out of town for a while. So the building keeps going. Range race this weekend the first race after the regatta season. It will be good to see the big boys out to play again. We will see what they have learned over the christmas period. Cougar II looks to be most improved we will see if they can keep it up.

Who is doing the Top of the bay regatta?

Am I correct that there's a pretty serious crew deficiency in the melbourne fleet?

I've had 4 calls already this week from boats looking for crew for saturday's Range race

With all the new big boats around, and the current trend of club boats up into the 40ft range, it seems this problem won't go away any time soon

Sure, at Geelong week and other big events all the 'summer sailors' come out of the woodwork, but can all the racing boats on the bay maintain consistent crew numbers all year round?

Remembering of course that it's not just about numbers on the rail, but also a question of talent and filling specialist roles i.e. bow

It looks to me like people's crew lists are starting to dry up bigtime, and although there's always a fair number of enthusiastic newcomers to keelboat racing, it takes time and a great deal of patience to train people up (especially now that lots of newcomers to keelboat racing don't have basic sailing background from dinghy sailing).

And the 'grand prix' end of the fleet is sure to suck up a great deal of the talent, leaving the midfleet to haggle for what's leftover..

How are owners going to deal with this problem??

Am I correct that there's a pretty serious crew deficiency in the melbourne fleet?

I've had 4 calls already this week from boats looking for crew for saturday's Range race

With all the new big boats around, and the current trend of club boats up into the 40ft range, it seems this problem won't go away any time soon

Sure, at Geelong week and other big events all the 'summer sailors' come out of the woodwork, but can all the racing boats on the bay maintain consistent crew numbers all year round?

Remembering of course that it's not just about numbers on the rail, but also a question of talent and filling specialist roles i.e. bow

It looks to me like people's crew lists are starting to dry up bigtime, and although there's always a fair number of enthusiastic newcomers to keelboat racing, it takes time and a great deal of patience to train people up (especially now that lots of newcomers to keelboat racing don't have basic sailing background from dinghy sailing).

And the 'grand prix' end of the fleet is sure to suck up a great deal of the talent, leaving the midfleet to haggle for what's leftover..

Numbers aren't the problem - plenty of rail meat around. Talent is the real issue. People can get hurt sailing bigger boats without the requisite skills. There is an accident waiting to happen out there. Be careful folks.

Numbers aren't the problem - plenty of rail meat around. Talent is the real issue. People can get hurt sailing bigger boats without the requisite skills. There is an accident waiting to happen out there. Be careful folks.

It is a big problem for us.

Being on the smaller side (11 metres) and not one of the Melbourne "Div 0" yachts, I have a real problem finding and then keeping experienced key personnel.

Smooth Criminal may not be a big boat (RP 36), but the skills required to drive her are no less important, given that the boat is steered by sails more than helm crew coordination is critical. SC is only 4 feet shorter than Chutzpah (RP 40), but less than half the displacement, and more working sail area than an S38. This means plenty of excitement, but some pretty damned horrible consequences if the crew get things wrong.

People can be seriously injured on "smaller" boats just as easily as the bigger ones.

I don't know the answer to this issue, if anyone has one, let me know.

Just like the Hobart Fleet. 5 Farr 40's equals an extra 45-50 crew. Doesn't leave much room for the rest of us weekend warriors. :P

Even moi gets the odd request, which means they are definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Seriously, from watching some of the mark rounding performances of a few boats, skippers seem to be doing a few things that make it difficult for them to keep their crews.

1. There is a limit to how much abuse even a 22 year old testosterone fuelled crewman will take. Sure they think that getting there first on the big iron is "having fun". Eventually they grow out of this attitude and look for a crew position where they aren't abused, where there opinion is sought (even if it is then discarded), and they get a little respect.

2. Some skippers make life difficult for their crews, and are therefore no fun to sail with. Bad habits include:

(a) Never overstanding the windward mark by at least five metres, thus leading to those embarrassing crash tacks just when the foredeckies want to get the pole up or out. I call this the "bet losing 50 metres to win five metres" syndrome. You see it a lot at leeward marks too. It overworks the crew who have to compensate for skipper stupidity.

(B) Steering the boat to make it easy for the crew to set/jibe/drop the kite. Almost dead downwind is best if possible. Reefing/sail changing is another area where you want to think about minimising crew effort.

© Either suicidal or lazy mark rounding. One scares the crap out of people, the other wastes all their good work.

3. Not "adding value" to your crew. Give them as much training and experience as they will take. For starters, let your crew steer the boat themselves as much as possible, and make sure the job is rotated - don't be like Araldite. The only time you must be on the helm is where responsibility is important, like the start, mark roundings and crossings and getting in and out of the pen. Rotate jobs and get people to teach.

4. Make sure your crew have fun on water and off water. If you find you have a bully on board that isn't you, get rid of them quick.

I could go on. The greatest master at all this I was ever privileged to see was Jock Sturrock. He could convey a serious message in such a way that the crew was in stitches. He knew how to have fun.

Even moi gets the odd request, which means they are definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Seriously, from watching some of the mark rounding performances of a few boats, skippers seem to be doing a few things that make it difficult for them to keep their crews.

1. There is a limit to how much abuse even a 22 year old testosterone fuelled crewman will take. Sure they think that getting there first on the big iron is "having fun". Eventually they grow out of this attitude and look for a crew position where they aren't abused, where there opinion is sought (even if it is then discarded), and they get a little respect.

2. Some skippers make life difficult for their crews, and are therefore no fun to sail with. Bad habits include:

(a) Never overstanding the windward mark by at least five metres, thus leading to those embarrassing crash tacks just when the foredeckies want to get the pole up or out. I call this the "bet losing 50 metres to win five metres" syndrome. You see it a lot at leeward marks too. It overworks the crew who have to compensate for skipper stupidity.

(B) Steering the boat to make it easy for the crew to set/jibe/drop the kite. Almost dead downwind is best if possible. Reefing/sail changing is another area where you want to think about minimising crew effort.

© Either suicidal or lazy mark rounding. One scares the crap out of people, the other wastes all their good work.

3. Not "adding value" to your crew. Give them as much training and experience as they will take. For starters, let your crew steer the boat themselves as much as possible, and make sure the job is rotated - don't be like Araldite. The only time you must be on the helm is where responsibility is important, like the start, mark roundings and crossings and getting in and out of the pen. Rotate jobs and get people to teach.

4. Make sure your crew have fun on water and off water. If you find you have a bully on board that isn't you, get rid of them quick.

I could go on. The greatest master at all this I was ever privileged to see was Jock Sturrock. He could convey a serious message in such a way that the crew was in stitches. He knew how to have fun.

all true. but personally, i dont really care if on the bow (or any role) i cop a verbal hiding (see #1) if the skipper is addressing all the issues you list under #2.

That's a real bright comment that is. . . . . Yeah cause that passage race is real similar to a Hobart isn't ? 35 miles, flat water, no wind . . . . .

Some of it.

It still comes down to SA:DSP ratio. Given two boats with the same hull shape is the lighter boat is going to move out of displacement mode earlier? Going lighter has not seemed to hurt the doll at all...

No excuses

Ah...the old...

"hahahaha...look at that! All those silly bastards are going the wrong way!!"

"Get the Malcolm McLaren tunes on as we go roun de ootsiiide"

"We are so launched...the lot of 'em have done it...haha!!"

"oh wait...."

I'm new to this informative site,

but Walrus and others boo hoo hoo! I've at this caper for 30years and only the boats and the names change to protect the innocent. We used to refer to ths behaviour as "bubbles hitting the brain". As they say there is nothing new under the sun.

All this does make you realise that when you come across a skipper in the vein of Jock Sturrock,Jim Hardy, Peter Kurts, Lou Abrahams and many more unsung Yachying Gentlemen treat the like gold for if you do this you will shine with them.

Cheers

Ah...the old...

"oh wait...."

Sorry, wasn't like that at all as we had no firm opinion.

Just fucked up by not reading the SI's in enough detail.

Ah...the old...

"oh wait...."

Hey - Eventually - is that yacht in your avatar the old Styx going past Tasman Island?

Hey - Eventually - is that yacht in your avatar the old Styx going past Tasman Island?

that be it...the Richard Bennett shot from 1982. Scanned from his Ocean Classics book...the qual is a bit suss.

and Rossco...thats worse!! :lol:

STYX riding the Tasman Island gust. Look Ma!..no runners?

styx.jpg

hijack over

that be it...the Richard Bennett shot from 1982. Scanned from his Ocean Classics book...the qual is a bit suss.

and Rossco...thats worse!! :lol:

STYX riding the Tasman Island gust. Look Ma!..no runners?

styx.jpg

hijack over

Yeah, but that's much more than 20 years ago so it doesn't count :P

Evo, wasn't that shot from 1983 or did Styx go down again in '83 too? Seem to recall it blurring past us in the KOT Derwent in '83.

Were they that silly twice?? 1982 according to the pic credits fb.

Some of the Lake Mac sailors would know the full story...owner died recently...last time I looked she was still mastless at her mooring. Hell of a boat in her day and kicked arse on the Harbour, including ours not that many years ago. 14 facking weeks to be beaten on the last leg of the last race by a plus 20 year old boat.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh! :blink: sigh...not over it yet.

Were they that silly twice?? 1982 according to the pic credits fb.

Some of the Lake Mac sailors would know the full story...owner died recently...last time I looked she was still mastless at her mooring. Hell of a boat in her day and kicked arse on the Harbour, including ours not that many years ago. 14 facking weeks to be beaten on the last leg of the last race by a plus 20 year old boat.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh! :blink: sigh...not over it yet.

One post takes the Melbourne Big Boat thread wildly off topic into a spiel about a Lake Macquarie boat doing the Hobart. Sorry...

I sailed that boat in Sydney a number of years ago. It was owned by Geoff Lee, who sadly passed away recently. The incredible thing about that boat doing a Hobart is that there was nothing down below - there would barely be headroom when you are kneeling! I am sure it wouldn't pass muster with today's regulations - or touch and go anyway. I saw it in Lavender Bay (just west of the Harbour Bridge in Seeedneey) - with no mast as you say. Sad state for a good boat.

One post takes the Melbourne Big Boat thread wildly off topic

No worries...better than watching Rossco read the SIs....cheers!

(On a more somber note...you weren't on it for the Winter Series 2000 were you?....if so...well sailed and go f#@*....&&%^&%$$$&*(...........(@!#$@$%^) :lol:

So what racing have you guys got on this weekend (23rd)?

Other half and I are in town for the weekend and plan to head down to a couple of yacht clubs to have a look.

Has anyone got contact details of the guys who own the TP52('s?)

Cheers

Swanno