Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

First we have the redneck real-estate agency co-owner from Airlie Beach ranting .... now this.

I simply re-raised this appalling post to allow those reading here to know that NOT every Aussie shares this point of view. However, everyone is entitled to their own. Timmy has his; I have mine. I will comment no more.

The block of Regianno Smegma is only 349nm away from Busselton.

Shall we open a book on when the Metocean tracking will drop out 'due to technical difficulties'?

Go back and read the posts...

Now i've been call a Leech and a redneck you have no idea what your talking about. Asshole, prick, fuckwitt and crap at the queens english now that OK's...

You know me so who are you???

Hmmm "I can't hear you"

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

You know me so who are you???

Hmmm "I can't hear you"

Do what I did - 5 minutes research. Web's a small place for those in the industry .... isn't it?

Anyway, enough energy wasted on each other, let's return focus to the Fromage Fucktards.

(Edit: Just realised you outed yourself; I didn't mention a user name.)

Do what I did - 5 minutes research. Web's a small place for those in the industry .... isn't it?

Anyway, enough energy wasted on each other, let's return focus to the Fromage Fucktards.

Go on insult the other members on this thread, I'm sure they are so stupid that they couldn't put two and two together. Like I have ever pretended to live anywhere else. Mr From: Upper Creek, Paddleless

Just deal with your guilt instead of trying to justify yourself with the edit

True.

I had no idea who he was talking about.

I must have missed that rant. VB - you a racist as well? Fuck you as well as tripleT, then.

True.

I must have missed that rant. VB - you a racist as well? Fuck you as well as tripleT, then.

I was wrong, there was one member that was dumb enough not to work it out.

Now I'm a racist redneck leech.

Get a grip and go back and read posts before you call somebody anything other than a fuckhead wanker etc.

Racist... fuck you.

Get a grip and go back and read posts before you call somebody anything other than a fuckhead wanker etc.

Racist... fuck you.

You forgot Hovian Troll.

(and it's Fucktard, not Fuckhead...geeze, get with the program)

Australian quaratine would probably take and destroy 99% of there food and anything that is alive, the cheese would be gone as well, I would think that they would have claim an emergency to enter fill the tanks and go whilst paying quaratine to stand watch to be able to keep anything.

great job Nickdg, but i'll never be able to watch a crocadile dundee film again - you have just ruined them!!!!!! :lol:

I don't believe that Soanya is still feeling the effects of seasickness. I have sailed for extended periods offshore with people who get sick and in my experience once the initial sickness has passed (usually a couple of days) the effected person comes out of the other side and doesn't get sick again.

The only times when people were sick again was after we had put ashore for a while and then the process was repeated, sick for a few days, get over it and then fine. I'm guessing that it's a "day off from school" type sickness where you imagine yourself poorly so that you don't have to go in. If you tell yourself often enough that you don't feel well, you end up believing yourself and feeling bad.

Anyone else had similar experiences of repeated sickness?

My feeling is that she's just desperate to get off that boat and hates life aboard so much that she is making herself ill.

True.

Frenchie,

A person is not a racist if they have spent a lifetime privileged enough to actually witness what I have alleged over many years, and in many different locations, can substantiate their allegations with proven historical research data, and have validated it by studying it at university level, and corroborated it with numerous others of high credibility and standing in society.

I have done all those things buddy, including university level studies in Aboriginal social issues, anthropology etc etc so that entitles me to an opinion. Whether you like it or not, I dont give a rats. When you have the same breadth and depth of theoretical and practical experience in these issues, I will politely listen to what you have to say. Until then, silence from you is the most intelligent response you can make.

"You want the truth..... You cant handle the truth..."

P.S. I hope you arent making a derogatory comment about the french with your pseudonym ?

sacre bleu !!!

Anyone else had similar experiences of repeated sickness?

My feeling is that she's just desperate to get off that boat and hates life aboard so much that she is making herself ill.

Yeah, BB. I have.

Haven't been on extended trips in years, but when I was, I could never handle being below deck for long, whether the first day, last day, or anywhere inbetween. I did whatever I had to do to (e.g. sleep on deck, eat on deck) to avoid spending much time below. The only exception was if I was so tired that I knew I would quickly pass out and sleep like a rock. Staying mostly on deck, I might be sick a day or two, but then at least feel okay.....or great, when sailing was prime. Bouncing around on Weed's POS would be an acid test...not enough forward motion.

That said, I somewhat agree with your second point. If you are prone to seasickness, it isn't hard to talk yourself into feeling ill. In my experience, she would be far better off getting out of the diesel & sprout fumes and into the open air as often as possible, if only to break the mental pattern.....watch Weed jump around the deck like a goddamned gazelle....anything, to get her mind off seasickness.

For now, whether she is physically sick or has simply talked herself into being sick, it's the same net effect. She's sick...

Stolen from somewhere...

Beware those Aussie government bastards. Seems they don't have the sailing anarchy spirit is their soul. Read this shit.

Sailing Blog From Thornton Reese:

Your Guide to Sailing.

Welcome to Australia

(That Will be $20,000, Please)

An Australian court has upheld the conviction and large fine levied against a yachtsman who was convicted by a customs magistrate of failing to announce the intended arrival of his vessel and crew into Australia. The magistrate assessed a fine of $4,000 and $15,000 in court costs.

The yachtsman appealed the lower court's conviction, but last week a District Court dismissed the appeal and upheld the magistrate's finding. To add slap to face, the higher court awarded costs of the appeal to the Commonwealth. American sailor, James Manzari, was originally convicted in the Bundaberg Magistrates Court in February 2007 of two charges under the Customs Act; section 64 Impending Arrival Report, and section 64ACB Crew Reports. Under those rules, a ship's master must provide notice of intended arrival to Customs 96 hours before their arrival into Australia by fax, e-mail or telephone.

Manzari arrived into the port of Bundaberg, Australia from Noumea, the capital of New Caledonia, in September 2006, but was convicted of failing to provide the necessary notice to Customs prior to his arrival. In June, 2006, Australia introduced new laws making it compulsory that aircraft and shipping entering Australia must give between four and ten days notice of their impeding arrival by fax, e-mail or telephone. Manzari claims that he was given outdated information from the Australian consulate in Noumea stating that arrival information must be given 48-hours prior to arrival, and that notification by VHF radio was acceptable. Manzari called Bundaberg customs on his VHF radio and informed them of his plans. Upon arrival, he says he learned of the new law. The hard way. The 2006 law has been heavily criticized in the Australian sailing community, particularly after an elderly Dutch cruising couple were convicted. The couple made radio contact with Australian officials as they approached the Port of Brisbane, after a rough, thirteen day voyage from New Zealand. Upon arrival, they were informed of the new law. They were eventually fined $2,000. So, for any cruisers out there heading for Australia: Don't forget to pack the fax machine, computer or sat-phone. (Or $20,000 in small unmarked bills). I wonder what kind of fines Capt. James Cook would rack up today?

I personally don't see the sails making it -- the main is falling apart and there is no way Reid's sewing triple seams into that thing. Every time they get a bit of wind it tears or a seam opens up.

You know, Weid just might end up with a record of sorts... the world's biggest doily! :P

Stolen from somewhere...

Beware those Aussie government bastards. Seems they don't have the sailing anarchy spirit is their soul. Read this shit.

Sailing Blog From Thornton Reese:

unfortunately in this case , they have changed the rules again and they probably wouldn't be charged, the criminal conviction could be an issue though

Looks like they did almost 140 nm SE yesterday (which is rather unbelievable since they've been going about 50) but I do see that there's a large ship 235 nm to the ESE of them. The Portland is a bulk transporter...maybe they have new sails on board for the Anne. If she disappears from Metocean's radar in the next day or two I expect we'll be hearing from Weed (when they miraculously resurface :lol: ) that he found some brand new sails buried under all the fava beans in the hold and they now can sail onward with no more sails tearing!

Save a mouse click. Here's the latest from 1000 Days at Sea ----

Day 298 Wind Tune

Thursday, 14 February 2008

Wind S 20-25 knots, Course ESE, Speed 7-8 knots, Position: 36° 38' S, 110° 18' E

I finished stitching the mainsail last night with my head lamp on because the wind was picking up and I wanted to get the sail up and continue our beat against the SE winds rather than be blown NW through the night. By the time Soanya served me dinner, the wind was piping up. I went out in the pitch black night and got to work. There was one moment when I received a fright seeing a bright orange light. The moon, which we haven't seen for almost a month, was half full and standing on the horizon. What a sight. It really did almost have a living presence about it. I paused out of respect while the half raised mainsail fluttered above my head. By the time I got the full sail set, it was getting late and as we took off into the night at seven knots, it was almost too exhilarating.

I stayed in my clothes by the hatch in case I had to shorten sail at a moments notice. We made it through the night with enough south in our easterly course to make me feel comfortable. Sometimes we reach eight knots and all is well as the schooner hums quietly.

Soanya's View:

Preparing dinner while we rolled from side to side was not something I was looking forward to so I decided to make the easiest meal I could lay my hands on. Spiced rice out of the box and backpacker's corn and peppers sounded like it fit the bill. Each just needed some to be put in boiling water for ten minutes and dinner would be ready as I made our sprout salad. I tied the pots on to the stove with a little bit of water in each and held on tightly myself. Dinner was done in no time. As we sat down we agreed the backpacker's corn, which we only had one package of, was nowhere near as tasty as the home cooked meals we were used to. The spiced rice was delicious and had been one of our favorites from the beginning. I, not being used to eating foods from a box or ready to eat package, wondered if all adventurers eat as well as we do or was that corn mix an indication of what their standard fare was like.

Reid and Soanya

Headlamp, stayed in his clothes, backpacker's corn, ready to eat package, corn mix indication. Same old shit, different day.

Yawn................fart...................................................snore

"Wind S 20-25 knots, Course ESE, Speed 7-8 knots, Position: 36° 38' S, 110° 18' E"

Dirty bum, shit sails, nobody at the helm...

I'm just happy he is heading south...ish

Don't get your hopes up yet. When he wrote that update, he indeed was headed south...ish (probably around 4 am 2/14 based on matching coordinates with google maps). Something must have happened to return him to a north...ish course during the day of the 15th... Another rip???

Don't get your hopes up yet. When he wrote that update, he indeed was headed south...ish (probably around 4 am 2/14 based on matching coordinates with google maps). Something must have happened to return him to a north...ish course during the day of the 15th... Another rip???

Can't believe it but on his heading, Reid's gonna go boom with land. Look out Oz - if he lands there, you'll have him for life (unless of course, you all step up and donate him a proper boat, fully loaded for 1000 more days).

Racist... fuck you.

I said "IF you're a racist, too" - obviously, if you're not a racist, disregard the "fuck you".

I was going only off bloodygazza's post. If you think I can be bothered to wade through this thread looking for whatever rant he was talking about... you gotta be kidding me! (edit: I just went through 6 pages of your posts, still can't find it. That makes me too stupid to work it out? Okay...)

TTT - I don't care where or what you've studied, that "party in the long grass" pic is fucking offensive. The "most dominant wave of aboriginals who migrated south from New Guinea" bit, is the same excuse South Africans used back during the days of Apartheid, and the rest of your shit fails to distinguish between the effects of colonialism & whatever was there before. Also my wife, who's from Melbourne, happened to read you little rant over my shoulder, and was pretty un-impressed.

You're a racist. Deal with it.

Hey - maybe they'd be more than 4% of the population, if y'all didn't used to hunt them for sport?

Asshole.

How did they manage to go 180+nm in the two days he had his sail dropped to sew it? He mentions on the 13th that he noticed his sail ripped on the 12th and he was sewing on the 13th and 14th...WTF?

TTT, did you ever find a person with a Cigarette or some other high power fast boat to send out a look-and-see party? They're only about 130 nm off shore. Please find them! There has to be some pleasure boats in their area!

Tomorrow the world will be celebrating 300 Days at Sea

Tomorrow is another important milestone. 5502 since Reid's Sentencing Hearing in Bangor Maine.

Second in a 2 part series --------

The United States of America

vs.

Reid Stowe

Below is the text of Reid's sentencing hearing pages 12 - 30. That completes this document. I know it is a lot of material, but it is a good read.

The Players:

MS. COHEN - Reid's Defense Attorney

THE COURT - His Honor

MR. McCLOSKEY - U.S. Attorney

THE DEFENDANT - Reid Stowe

MS. COHEN: Your Honor, my client's position in this transaction is different significantly, I believe, from the other people that were involved in this case. It is my understanding that he's one of the only few -- there may be one other person where this was the sole transaction. That these people had been involved for upwards of five years. That they had been involved in multiple transactions involving other situations in the Caribbean and up throughout the East Coast, namely North Carolina as well as in Maine.

This was his first endeavor. It was his first involvement with this group of people. There was no excuse for his bad judgment, none. If I can suggest to you, when he was met by these people, his motivation was a poor one and the motivation was that he was financially insolvent. Someone offered him a large sum of money to do this and he was headed back to New York where he intended — his intentions were not to continue with these people, not to continue in a five-year path like other people in a drug-related business, but his intentions were to pursue the goals which he in fact has done.

And in this involvement -- he was down in the Caribbean, he was asked to participate by someone who had known his brothers or through some familial relationship and, based upon that motivation, lack of funds, he endeavored to engage in a very significant transfer of marijuana from one boat to

the other.

I will suggest to your Honor that, as soon as he did that, he ended all involvement with this transaction. He didn't do it upon face of an indictment or the fact that there was news that there was a warrant out for his arrest. He stopped this contact of and unto itself because he wanted to. He moved back to New York two days after the boat — he found out that the boats were in the Caribbean, he flew back to New York, and from that moment on, he endeavored to lead a life that was different.

He did it. He made a mistake.

He lived in New York with his name on the door. He was a public figure because he was advertising under his name, the name he had used in the Caribbean, as an artist in New York City.

He did nothing in any way to obstruct justice or stay away from the law, and four years after this conduct had been committed, he was arrested. And when he was arrested, he never once denied his responsibilities.

THE COURT: He didn't turn himself in, did he?

MS. COHEN: He did not, your Honor. But for going to the United States Attorney's Office and saying, "I don't believe that I'm wanted, but I did violate a crime."

Your Honor, there was not a warrant out for his arrest that we're aware of.

THE COURT: You say he did go to the U.S. Attorney's Office?

MS. COHEN: No, he did not. He did not do that. But for doing that, your Honor, there was not a warrant out for his arrest that we're aware of. No one had informed us that the government was looking for him.

What happened was one morning, very early in the morning, approximately 5:00, agents came to his home and addressed he and his wife, who is with him in court today. They immediately were brought down to the marshall's office in the Southern District of New York where, pursuant to Rule 40, he was transferred up here, almost immediately requested to speak to the United States Attorney where he offered to cooperate and do what he could. As you can tell, his cooperation was limited because, A., his involvement was limited; and B., it was — years had passed.

But he stopped this activity, your Honor, for no reason other than to lead a law-abiding life, and he's done that since then.

I think there is another factor regarding the people in this case aside from the fact that they were prosecuted in Massachusetts, and aside from the fact that, as the probation indicates, my client would have been prosecuted in Massachusetts, but there was some slipping through the cracks and he was never arrested. The McCauley brothers, as I

understand it, had a prior record that these people -- the McCauley brothers I believe had prior records, although it is not indicated in the report, and I've been unable to verify that, your Honor. But the information that we have is that they had actually been arrested before and I think that that is a distinctive character that is different between my client as well as these other people.

His role is limited to a one-time transaction. It was a two-month period and he stopped this activity based upon his own desires and I think that those are significant factors.

He has a very supportive family. His parents are here in the courtroom today, your Honor. They have written a letter to you. They have posted their home as bail in this case. They have traveled by car from North Carolina to be here to be with their son and to be supportive of him. And I think that, given that, he is somewhat unique in the level of support he does have from his family.

You would think and one would have hoped that because of such a supportive family he would have had the strength not to make this mistake. He didn't and he has to pay for it.

At the same time, I urge you to think about what he has done, why he stopped this path that he embarked upon. Think about the motivation that stopped him from continuing on and think about what he's done over the past four years. And also consider what he's done since he was arrested and he's

done whatever he could do and he still remains -- he's still willing and able to do whatever he can do and I think that if there is a situation, your Honor, where leniency would be warranted, I think that this may be such a case.

THE COURT: I don't think there is any question about that. There is no question that leniency is indicated. The question is how much leniency.

We're talking about a sentence that carries up to a life imprisonment in this case; right?

MS. COHEN: That's correct.

THE COURT: There's got to be some -- there's some room between no jail time and life. I mean, I hear what you say and everything you say is true, I think supported in the record, but the record also indicates the amounts of marijuana involved and I just can't look the other way. I mean, I'm going to try to look as sideways as I can, but I'm not going to completely ignore the fact that we're dealing with all these drugs.

You know, under other circumstances, if your client did not come out of the mold he came and did not do what he did and did not have the strength of character that he obviously has shown since the incident, we're not even talking about 18 months, we're not even talking about 2 or 3 years, we're talking about significant time. And I'm not talking about significant time here, but I'm talking about time.

I cannot in all good conscience under the law just suspend a sentence or give him no sentence.

MS. COHEN: Since your Honor is inclined to impose some kind of incarceration, then what I have to do is ask you to be as lenient as possible.

THE COURT: That's exactly what I intend to do, as lenient as possible under the circumstances, but what he has done speaks so loudly that it's very difficult to hear what he's accomplished since the incident. And I hear what you say and I am persuaded by what you say to a certain extent, but I think just to even consider a nonincarceration sentence I think is totally without any kind of support with these facts and with the law. And there is no way that I can in good conscience do that, nor will I do that. I'm not even sure they would do it in Massachusetts, maybe they would.

The other end of the coin is obviously, if he was sentenced in Massachusetts, we wouldn't be faced with the problem. The other end of the coin is that, if he was sentenced under the guidelines, which he could very well have been, we're looking at up to 168 months. That's a lot of time. We're looking at a range between 135 and 168 months.

I'm sorry I interrupted you. Go ahead. Is there anything else that you want to say?

MS. COHEN: I'm very well aware, your Honor, that this case was prosecuted in Maine. My client was well aware

of the potential guideline ramifications of his case. We've discussed them thoroughly before we entered a plea. We discussed them before he walked into the prosecutor's office to cooperate.

I would ask your Honor to consider his role, consider the role of the people that were in Massachusetts, and their past behavior and to base your sentence in the light that is fair regarding those people and, as I say, just be as fair as your Honor believes he can be.

THE COURT: All right. Thank you.

Does your client wish to be heard by way of allocution?

MS. COHEN: (Nodding in the affirmative.)

THE COURT: All right. Mr. Stowe.

THE DEFENDANT: Your Honor, I had a few things prepared to say and they have all been discussed here. I am before sentencing guidelines, I believe, because my involvement was the summer of '87. Since then, I wasn't involved.

They agreed to put it pre-sentencing guidelines. Therefore, it's all up to you. It's not to be compared to what the sentencing guidelines are. It's up to you to decide what I'm going to do.

And obviously, I was involved in a big operation and it was a big mistake and I'm sorry that I broke the law. I don't know if they've read other things that I have been

doing.

I realize that I broke the law.

I didn't know I was in trouble. I lived for five years there in New York with my name on the bell and my name on the phone book.

And I have a stack of material this thick (gesturing) that I turned over to the court that is magazine articles about me, what I'm doing with NASA and the space program, with the program that I've created involving human behavior, psychosocial issues, relevant for people to go into space. There's magazine articles that are in there. The president of the Explorers Club says that, if I succeed in what I'm doing, I'll be one of the greatest explorers ever.

I have a stack of letters from educational people that I've been working with over the last years where I've created an educational program for students of all ages that will be broadcast live via satellite and the director of the American Satellite Educators Association has said my program holds enormous educational potential.

So, I've been working real hard on a lot of things to make up for my past mistakes and including the last year that I've been working with the blind and I've created my own programs working intimately with groups of blind people teaching them relaxation and self-esteem.

I'm not sure that when someone reads a case and says,

These are the laws, we want to give the person the sentence for this law -- I can understand how they want to follow those things and do it.

I spent some time with Mr. Hawley and I felt that he was understanding about the things that I was working on and with a couple of other gentlemen here where they saw that what I was doing was very unique and in some way I hope that that would guide them a little bit up and above what the specific rules were, so that they could see what I was doing.

Now, I understand that you feel the same way about the rules and the laws because I was involved in this thing, and though they got off easier down there, though all of those guys had previous records and they hired me, they were able to help because they told on me and got me in four years later, there was nothing I could say because I didn't know anyone for four years involved in this.

And now I'm listening that they're asking for a sentence and that you're saying that you feel like you have to give me a sentence and I'm ready to accept anything and I'm ready to and I know I can continue with the goals that I have been working on no matter what happens to me. And I still have a hope at this moment that there is an alternative. Walking free isn't exactly what I had even imagined that I was doing.

And over the last more than a year since I was out on bail, my dad put the house up, I have not been able to travel

anywhere or go anywhere, and it's been stressful for my wife and my family. That year has gone by. There is more time coming up.

Now, I've been -- I think that I can do a good job helping society in the ways that can be counted and measured, the way that I'm helping the blind people here in New York.

I recently got invited to a NASA conference dealing with human policy issues for an extended period of time in space. I was the only operational person invited. I was the only explorer invited. I was the only person who was invited to that conference that had actually lived with a small group of people in an isolated, dangerous, high performance environment for an extended period of time.

So I've been contributing to the work that our nation is doing for preparing to go into space for an extended period of time. I have a lot of paperwork about that and I'm going to continue to do it.

The people who are helping roe with my project, I've made them aware that I was arrested because I got involved in a marijuana case in the summer of '87 and they were very supportive. They said, Well, that's real bad. Over the years we've known people that have gotten in trouble, too. We're still supporting you and we're still going to help you with the work that you're doing with the space program. And I think they will still help me even if I go to jail.

I think that there's maybe -- I don't know if there's an alternative that I could wear an ankle bracelet, my movements could be monitored and I could be sentenced to stay where I live in my apartment where I could continue to do the work that I do, except when I go out to the Associated Blind to help the blind people. So that I could be sentenced to stay in my apartment, so that I could wear an ankle bracelet, so that I can continue to do the work that I'm doing and not add further cost to the society. So that I could contribute rather than be a cost and be incarcerated.

And I'd like to know if you'd like to ask me any questions about that?

THE COURT: Yeah I'd like to know what you were thinking about or in terms -- or if you thought at all about all the people that would be using all this marijuana that you helped transport? Did that ever occur to you? Did you ever think about why it's against the law to do that? And what you were doing about —

I mean, there is no question that you were helping a lot of people and you are to be commended for it, and I'm sure no matter what I do, hopefully, there is enough inside you so that you're going to continue to do that regardless. It isn't a quid pro quo kind of situation, I hope. If it is, I've misjudged you.

But did you ever consider the ramifications of what you

were doing at the time you got involved in this? Did it ever occur to you — I mean, you're obviously a thinking person, a feeling person who was concerned about his fellow man. Did that ever reach your mind?

THE DEFENDANT: That people would be harmed by using the marijuana that I brought back? Did I think that they would be harmed by using the marijuana?

THE COURT: Did it ever occur to you to even assess that possibility?

THE DEFENDANT: I think that if I would have gotten involved with hard drugs or other things like that, more so. I didn't realize that I was harming people that much by doing that.

THE COURT: You knew it was against the law.

THE DEFENDANT: I knew it was against the law and I made a big mistake doing that and I was foolish to do it and it was a big mistake. And I hold no -- nothing against anyone. I'm ready to accept my punishment for it and, as I said, I still believe that I can contribute in many ways to society, many different projects that I'm working on, even if I am incarcerated.

THE COURT: All right. Thank you, Mr. Stowe. Do you have anything, any other witnesses or any other evidence you want to offer to the court?

MS. COHEN: No, Your Honor.

THE COURT: We have a plea agreement in this case; right?

MR. McCLOSKEY: That's correct, your Honor.

THE COURT: And part of the plea agreement, I take it, is to agree to — the United States agrees to move to dismiss the original indictment; is that correct?

MR. McCLOSKEY: That's correct, your Honor.

THE COURT: Now, under the original indictment, would the defendant be sentenced under the guidelines?

MR. McCLOSKEY: I believe so.

MS. COHEN: Your Honor, if I may respond to that. There was a good deal of discussion between Mr. McCarthy, who was the primary assistant that I was dealing with in this case, and there was no resolution as to that issue. Part of our plea agreement was to plea to a preindictment charge and we agreed essentially to not resolve the issue as to whether or not it was a guideline case. As far as I was concerned, it was not determined.

MR. McCLOSKEY: Judge, the indictment charges a guideline case. Now, what the court would have decided with respect to sentencing, whether it would have fallen within the guidelines or without the guidelines, would have been a matter of the contention I think at the time, but it charges a guideline case.

THE COURT: All right. I'm going to approve the or

accept the plea agreement that was entered into between the parties — I guess it's July 28.

As I've indicated, at least preliminarily, there are several factors that the court has to take into consideration in imposing sentence, and some of the pressures on the court in imposing sentence have been highlighted dramatically by this case.

There is no question that we have a young man here who made a mistake and has been trying to the extent possible to come to grips with that, within his own community and within himself. The trouble is that the mistake, the first mistake, criminal mistake that the defendant made happened to be a gigantic one in terms of the amounts of marijuana.

And regardless of whether or not you feel, Mr. Stowe, that marijuana is not a great danger to anyone, that's the implication that I read from you, that really isn't the issue. I suppose that all of us and particularly the court has to understand that we are a nation of laws and, when these laws are promulgated, there is a reason for them. And to some extent, I suppose, there is a reason for significant penalties connected with arranging the transportation of or distributing or participating in a conspiracy to distribute marijuana in huge amounts.

There are obviously some people that think a great deal of money can be made by doing that and indeed a great deal of

money changed hands in this situation. I'm not saying that you became wealthy as a result. You obviously did not. But it's the money evidently that creates the reason for people getting involved in it who are on the edge, who but for the lure of that probably would not be involved in any kind of criminal activity at all.

In imposing sentence, the law requires me to take several different factors into consideration. I have to take into consideration, and do, the nature and circumstances of the offense. And that's on the minus side as far as you're concerned. On the plus side, the history and record of the defendant, the fact that you have not been involved in any kind of criminal activity before and I suspect will not be again hopefully, certainly comes down on the plus side of the ledger.

But I have to take into consideration the seriousness of the offense and the need to promote some respect for the law, and it doesn't give the court any great pleasure to sentence anybody to jail, particularly the people who have not been involved and should not be involved in this kind of activity and should not be in jail. One of the requirements that the law imposes upon me is to take into consideration the deterrent aspect of sentencing, not only the deterrent aspect for purposes of the individual, the defendant who appears before the court, but to deter other people who are

participating in or contemplating the participation in of that kind of conduct.

And I suppose that even the sentence that I'm going to give you is going to be looked upon by many people who may be involved in this kind of activity as pretty much of a joke in terms of the amount of marijuana involved. It's certainly not going to have any great deterrent effect, but I'm not going to give you an excessive sentence or a sentence that I would consider has direct relationship to the amount of marijuana involved because I don't think it would be just. I don't think it would be fair to you and the people who are concerned about you.

So what I do every day is try to balance some of these factors and that's what the law requires me to do.

I, also, am mindful of the fact that I have to try to avoid unwarranted sentence disparities and that's why I said I was concerned about these Massachusetts sentences that I consider to be frankly inappropriate. One of the reasons probably that sentencing guidelines came into being in any event is because of the disparity of sentencing in various states for all kinds of reasons, many of them having no direct relationship to the judicial process.

I, also, have to consider the prospects for rehabilitation. I think you've pretty much rehabilitated yourself if you needed any rehabilitation.

So, putting all these various factors together, I'm going to sentence you, Mr. Stowe, for a period of time which under most circumstances would be on the very lowest end of the scale and in this circumstance is on the very lowest end of the scale.

Is there anything further from either the government or the defendant?

MS. COHEN: No, your Honor.

MR. McCLOSKEY: (Shaking head in the negative)

THE COURT: All right. If you'll stand, please, Mr. Stowe. I'm going to sentence you to 12 months of incarceration. I don't know how much actual time that will amount to, but I suspect probably about two-thirds of it. And I want you to know that you are being sentenced to that very light sentence primarily because of what you have done and how you have tried to repay to some extent society and I'm hopeful that you will continue to do that.

It's the lowest sentence that I could in all good conscience give to you.

Does your client want to self-report?

MS. COHEN: Yes, your Honor.

THE COURT: All right.

I'm going to allow the defendant to self-report on or about -- or on or before February 23, and the same bail will stand continued.

Anything further?

MR. McCLOSKEY: Your Honor, we need a special assessment.

THE COURT: Special assessment of fifty dollars?

MR. McCLOSKEY: Yes, your Honor. And I'd ask the court to advise the defendant of his right to appeal.

THE COURT: I want to point out to you, Mr. Stowe, that you, as I'm sure your lawyer already has, that you have the right to appeal the sentence. If you have any questions, go over them with Mrs. Cohen, I'm sure she will answer any questions you may have.

MR. McCLOSKEY: Your Honor, we also move to dismiss the underlying indictment.

THE COURT: Without any objection?

MS. COHEN: Correct.

THE COURT: And the motion by the government to dismiss the underlying indictment will be granted and that matter will be dismissed.

All right. Court will be in recess. (Court recessed at 3:48 p.m.)

CERTIFICATION

I certify that the foregoing is a correct transcript from the record of proceedings in the above-entitled matter.

Christine T. Fraga, RPR, CM Date N

Official U.S. Court Reporter

I see they grew another pulpit and bowsprit for the 300 Days commemorative free coffee cups. Who the hell cares, and why would they? I bet they don't sell 20 of those... and AGAIN they show pre-voyage photos of themselves. Let's have this glaring "I'll kick yer ass!" shot for Day 300. We demand Truth in Advertising!

post-22901-1203118106_thumb.jpg

There is a spelling mistake. The correct spelling is "terra firma" (for the geeks, that is Latin for firm land).

There's another slight error... it's 300 minus Day 192 on Worm Island/12-day Metocean outage on the African coast (just as they noticed algae in the water tanks and magically found pumpkin seeds ~ a main staple of the African diet). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and start now with 108 Days

New 300 Day Commemorative Swag at 1000 Days at Sea.

Sure to be a collectors item the moment they sink. Considered a very short term investment.

2267995230_a8173a7b41_o.jpg

What a bunch of junk. An upgrade to a "Premium Cafepress Store" - what a laugh. Honestly, would anyone want a Cheese Scow BBQ apron? How about a Soanya journal for that special person you know who never goes on deck? I will leave the Reid and Soanya boxer shorts alone - far too scary to think about. The folks at MC are mad as hatters. What ever is the purpose of celebrating 300 days, 700 to go? I don't get it at all.

Regattadog, Thanks for the transcript...I want to puke, as you well know! The man is such a con artist that he even conned a federal court fucking judge. I wish I had an address for that judge so I could send him this thread with the comment "Oh yeah, he's rehabilitated. Good work, judgie!" Good lawyer, good PR.

I must say, though, after reading all the stuff on TinMan, David Vann, I think there's actually someone with less scruples than Weed, and that's Vann. At least Weed just begged for his money, he never "borrowed" it with a promise to return it! Vann has basically spent a life of fraud, charging tens of thousands that he had no intention of repaying and borrowing equal amounts from friends and family with the same results, but he still gets more credit and people still lend him money! UN.BE.LIEVE.A.BLE! Wish I had 2% of his chutzpah! (No I don't. I'd never want to be like him.)

Too bad TinMan isn't going west to east -- a potential meeting of the minds would be interesting.

Even though the main is fixed, Weed is holding a course straight to AUS. (Must mean Squawk is at the helm). Should we start a pool on their ETA and landing site? Someone from AUS must be able to get a boat and do a little recon for us here. Bueller... Bueller... anyone?

That transcript is very telling, in that the judge was waiting for him to realize that not only was what he was doing against the law, but also the harm that it could potentially be doing to the people whose hands it eventually landed.

The sociopath didnt even realize that it was harmful. I guess he didnt care how many teenagers hands it wound up in

The only thing worse than a sociopath is a stoned sociopath.

Hes such a freaking loser, I hope Soanya can get off that boat soon and tell tell the world what a complete loser this guy is.

Weedy is heading for land hoping for rain, INTENDING TO TURN AT THE LAST MINUTE IF HE GETS IT, or "accidentally" run it up on the rocks (curse that broken bowsprit- I think I will now sue Maersk) and seek asylum and an Oprah guest spot if he doesnt get rain.

Sayonara, dressed in her best business suit, has her bags packed, and is up on the end of the bowsprit about to jump off at the first sight of land. Mission control has a truckload of cups and shirts they need to offload before it is GAME OVER. The Hovians have lit the bonfires on the beaches to guide him home....

Or then again maybe the Australian Coastguard will rescue him.

These days, apparently if you are RESCUED, you are entitled to an apology and compensation.

Meanwhile, the rest of us yawn and go about our normal lives.....

I must say, though, after reading all the stuff on TinMan, David Vann, I think there's actually someone with less scruples than Weed, and that's Vann. At least Weed just begged for

Too bad TinMan isn't going west to east -- a potential meeting of the minds would be interesting.

I concur; Vann should replace Soanya for the remainder, after the tin can goes to Davy Jones locker.... Maybe Esquire magazine will pick up on this story as well......

Day 300 Shredded Main

Saturday, 16 February 2008

Heaved-to, Position: 34° 45' S, 113° 03' E

We blew the whole top half or our mainsail out this morning. I heard a flutter above the howl of the wind and said “What's that?†When I looked out of the hatch, what a sight for a poor sailor to behold! His mainsail blowing in the wind in shreds. The first thing I think of when I see something broken is “I can fix this and this is how I'm going to do it,†but this old worn out mainsail is going to need major work that I can't do now. This sail was up working hard for 300 days and nights. That's a lot of hours, more than the life of most sails. I'll say she did the best she could. I should have had sail covers and one lesson I've learned is always cover your sails when they're not in use. None of my repairs or recuts have broken down. They all blend without wrinkles into the shape of the sail. Like I said before, “Have needle, will travel.â€

We do have my spare 25 year old mainsail folded up in the bottom of the cargo hold. I believe it was in decent condition 7 or 8 years ago when we folded it up upon receiving a new set of sails. I'll have to move a couple of tons of cargo to get to the sail at the bottom of the cargo hold. Then I'll bring it out on top. That is no easy task. All of the boxes are under 40 pounds each but the sail weighs a lot more than I do. I'm eating a big bowl of porridge and coffee now to get my strength up. It will take more than a day to get the sail up and the cargo re-stacked. Then I'll unfold the sail, inspect it, and drag it outside with the winch.

We are safely out at sea and heaved-to. It's rather rough, grey, and galey, but we are okay. We plan on getting the schooner sailing again. In the meantime we drift and make major repairs, just like we have already done.

Soanya's View:

It's sure not pleasant upon waking to find a week's worth of hard physical labor staring at you. Well maybe not a whole week, but three days or so of creative muscling. My part in this whole thing is not the muscle man, so Reid has the burden of doing all the work by himself and thinking up ways of how to use ropes, pulleys, and the electrical winch. It's still a lot of work to maneuver a huge sail within the confines of a boat even if it is out on deck. Here we are. Three hundred days non-stop at sea.

Reid and Soanya

IT'S OVER ON DAY 300

I'd guess this is the last week we'll be entertained by Weid and Sayonara with their main is shredded like it is. No way will that other sail that he's going to dig out of mothballs be usable. Cheers to Sayonara for making 300 days. This is probably the last time she'll ever set foot on the water!

Hey OZ, roll out the welcome mat, throw a few shrimps on the barbie and chill a few Fosters...you're about to gain to long-term visitors! Anyone willing to donate a mainsail?

I should have had sail covers and one lesson I've learned is always cover your sails when they're not in use.

HONESTLY????? Words fail me.

That these sails have made it this far is miraculous. What follows is inevitable. If he is as knowledgable as he says he is Weedy would never have set out with these rags. Reckless, foolhardy and unseamanlike but risking the life of his unwitting accomplice is criminal.

Back to trainwreck viewing.

According to a knowledgable weather person, Cyclone Nicholas is heading south down the western coast of OZ, expected to reach Weed's location by Tuesday/Wednesday. Of all the SAR options we've jokingly discussed over the months, one of the worst case scenarios may be unfolding: that they will have to be rescued 100 miles offshore in the path of a cyclone. Time to start praying.....forget the sail Reid, start the motor and head to shore before you're both dead and other peoples' lives are threatened! :(:angry:

According to a knowledgable weather person, Cyclone Nicholas is heading south down the western coast of OZ, expected to reach Weed's location by Tuesday/Wednesday. Of all the SAR options we've jokingly discussed over the months, one of the worst case scenarios may be unfolding: that they will have to be rescued 100 miles offshore in the path of a cyclone. Time to start praying.....forget the sail Reid, start the motor and head to shore before you're both dead and other peoples' lives are threatened! :(:angry:

Seeking shelter in Perth would be the smart thing to do. He could make harbor if he began motoring NOW. Problem is that it may not be a legal option for Weed, and he knows it. If the personal and vessel documentation were scrutinized at a civilized port the space odyssey could come crashing to earth. With his luck jolly St Nick will veer away from him and we'll have to endure the gales of criticism from the Hoviettes who suggest the mighty Weedgod can overcome all.

Day 300 Shredded Main

Saturday, 16 February 2008

Heaved-to, Position: 34° 45' S, 113° 03' E

We blew the whole top half or our mainsail out this morning. I heard a flutter above the howl of the wind and said “What's that?†When I looked out of the hatch, what a sight for a poor sailor to behold! His mainsail blowing in the wind in shreds. The first thing I think of when I see something broken is “I can fix this and this is how I'm going to do it,†but this old worn out mainsail is going to need major work that I can't do now. This sail was up working hard for 300 days and nights. That's a lot of hours, more than the life of most sails. I'll say she did the best she could. I should have had sail covers and one lesson I've learned is always cover your sails when they're not in use. None of my repairs or recuts have broken down. They all blend without wrinkles into the shape of the sail. Like I said before, “Have needle, will travel.â€

We do have my spare 25 year old mainsail folded up in the bottom of the cargo hold. I believe it was in decent condition 7 or 8 years ago when we folded it up upon receiving a new set of sails. I'll have to move a couple of tons of cargo to get to the sail at the bottom of the cargo hold. Then I'll bring it out on top. That is no easy task. All of the boxes are under 40 pounds each but the sail weighs a lot more than I do. I'm eating a big bowl of porridge and coffee now to get my strength up. It will take more than a day to get the sail up and the cargo re-stacked. Then I'll unfold the sail, inspect it, and drag it outside with the winch.

We are safely out at sea and heaved-to. It's rather rough, grey, and galey, but we are okay. We plan on getting the schooner sailing again. In the meantime we drift and make major repairs, just like we have already done.

Soanya's View:

It's sure not pleasant upon waking to find a week's worth of hard physical labor staring at you. Well maybe not a whole week, but three days or so of creative muscling. My part in this whole thing is not the muscle man, so Reid has the burden of doing all the work by himself and thinking up ways of how to use ropes, pulleys, and the electrical winch. It's still a lot of work to maneuver a huge sail within the confines of a boat even if it is out on deck. Here we are. Three hundred days non-stop at sea.

Reid and Soanya

IT'S OVER ON DAY 300

I'd guess this is the last week we'll be entertained by Weid and Sayonara with their main is shredded like it is. No way will that other sail that he's going to dig out of mothballs be usable. Cheers to Sayonara for making 300 days. This is probably the last time she'll ever set foot on the water!

Hey OZ, roll out the welcome mat, throw a few shrimps on the barbie and chill a few Fosters...you're about to gain to long-term visitors! Anyone willing to donate a mainsail?

Holy cats! I saw the picture and showed my hubby. WTF? Two days prior, Weid was once again repairing the main- he failed to notice the rest of the sail was falling apart. He's been sailing for HOW LONG and just now realizes the importance of sailcovers?! I'm just a weekender- yet, my genny has the sunbrella strip, and is always rolled up nice and tight after sailing, and the sail is neatly flaked, secured with velcro straps, sailcover is put on, and bound with a line (just in case there is some crazy storm.) Replacing a sunbrella cover every few years is much cheaper than replacing a main. In addition, Weid has no functional spare sails, let alone a friggin' sewing machine. His claims of being such an experienced sailor are a JOKE. My favorite was Soy's quote: "It's sure not pleasant upon waking to find a week's worth of hard physical labor staring at you. Well maybe not a whole week, but three days or so of creative muscling. My part in this whole thing is not the muscle man, so Reid has the burden of doing all the work by himself..." WTF?! Why is she whining? Because she might actually have to DO something?

Seeking shelter in Perth would be the smart thing to do. He could make harbor if he began motoring NOW. Problem is that it may not be a legal option for Weed, and he knows it. If the personal and vessel documentation were scrutinized at a civilized port the space odyssey could come crashing to earth. With his luck jolly St Nick will veer away from him and we'll have to endure the gales of criticism from the Hoviettes who suggest the mighty Weedgod can overcome all.

Where's Sailflat.. could be up for this one.. though might be in range of the rescue helicopter? http://www.rescuehelicopter.com.au/operations/helicopters/

The Perth one is here http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/default.aspx?MenuID=257

Not sure if the crews will be too happy going to pick them up? and as for the Aussie taxpayer :( though WA is well rich :P

Head for land Weed.

Well it's over. The old sails aren't proper spares and there is no way he can continue the circumnavigation. Reid's an idiot, as we all know, and his humble pie woulda coulda shoulda doesn't cut it. To have sails donated to him worth thousands of dollars and then not take care of them for years and years is inexcusable. Sails last longer than 300 days and Reid's weren't up for 300 days anyways. Just more Reid bullshit. Anyway, looks like Australia is gonna end up being his adopted country -- the Cheese Scow will rot at its mooring there unless his NY MC can sell a lot of those 300 day commemorative crap. Or, in a cost saving measure, maybe they might want to consider cancelling that premium Cafestore retail membership. Reid is a total dumb ass and he'd better get a move on or he's gonna get pasted by the coming TC.

If I hit Megamillions tonight I'm buying everyone on this thread a Reid Christmas ornament. PM me and let me know if you want the round or the oval. ;)

NOOOO!!! I don't want any used "baggywrinkles", either! How much rum have you had to drink tonight?

Well it's over. The old sails aren't proper spares and there is no way he can continue the circumnavigation. Reid's an idiot, as we all know, and his humble pie woulda coulda shoulda doesn't cut it. To have sails donated to him worth thousands of dollars and then not take care of them for years and years is inexcusable. Sails last longer than 300 days and Reid's weren't up for 300 days anyways. Just more Reid bullshit. Anyway, looks like Australia is gonna end up being his adopted country -- the Cheese Scow will rot at its mooring there unless his NY MC can sell a lot of those 300 day commemorative crap. Or, in a cost saving measure, maybe they might want to consider cancelling that premium Cafestore retail membership. Reid is a total dumb ass and he'd better get a move on or he's gonna get pasted by the coming TC.

Luna, crazy people can not be stopped. Weid will erect a sail made of cheese rinds and melted epoxy or something completely ghetto. His past and debtors are waiting for him upon his return. That dumb-ass will stay out there as long as he can-sails or not.

His old sails were tanbark. my understanding is it weathers better than white dacron. Only question is if it is in the bottom of a hold is it saturated with all the leaking diesel?

Tanbark Dacron has no more UV resistance than " white " Dacron. It is easier to see the sunburn on the dyed polyesters though. Chances are the 25 year old main wasn't a prize when it was retired. If the old sail was actually Tanbark cotton 7 years in a probably damp hold will have turned into a damp rag that cannot be picked up without tearing.

Better put some sprouts on the ' barbie , you have visitors coming.HTH V92

:lol::lol: I wish I had some of those blind people on board :lol: so they could look up and feel the breeze on their faces and not realize how fucked we are :lol::lol:

EDIT - OK - I shit myself.

Can't you just picture the look on their faces when they woke up this morning from a peaceful night's sleep!?

Soanya to Reid - Was the hole that big yesterday?

Reid - I wonder if I should have found someone to give me a sail cover....

Soanya - what are we gonna do now?

Reid - grab a paddle!

Tanbark Dacron has no more UV resistance than " white " Dacron. It is easier to see the sunburn on the dyed polyesters though. Chances are the 25 year old main wasn't a prize when it was retired.

If he didn't have a sail cover for the new main, he probably never covered the old one either, so it likely had 25 yrs of accumulated UV damage before it went into the hold.

Theres no farkin baggywrinkle on any of his rigging, and he wonders why his sails are chafed to bits. Idiot.

It used to be there when he launched the boat with the tan sails, but like everything else, he had one too many naps when jobs had to be done, and as nobody else STEPPED UP , the maintenance and preparation jobs didnt get done..... (for years)..

Love to know how he intends to not end up wrecked like countless other boats that couldnt go to weather, and beat away from Australia's hostile lee shore in true gale force conditions while sewing up his mainsail down below.

He will end up washed into the cliffs, and the pos will be wrecked, and he will try to claim asylum, but the drug dogs will go nuts at the smell of him, and someone will discover they have a lot of suspicious looking plants and parcels washing up along the coastline, and a convicted drug smuggler begging for asylum.

There is only one type of asylum that Weidy needs.....

Lie number 2004535

He says that none of his repairs have let him down, but I can recall him complaining that his glued mainsail seam repair fell apart because "the glue was no good" and because "he was told he didnt need to stitch it, just glue it."

And if he thinks he's going to get rainwater, think again. It is summer in the southern ocean.

46 degrees celsius here in Adelaide Today. He is approaching A COUNTRY IN THE WORST DROUGHT IN LIVING MEMORY, the worlds driest state, in the worlds driest continent (in an ordinary year), IN SUMMER and thinks he can fill his rainwater tanks...

IDIOT.

Come on Hovians.... remember the picture "where shall we rendezvous ??" now would be a good time. Before the algae SLUDGE in the water tank starts shaking hands with the diesel in the bilges..... and before the rocks on the cliffs start wiping off the barnacles...

Here in Australia,

Weidont bee a farkin hero,

Weido needs to motor his boat home ,

All that waits for you here is another

blunder stone...

(acknowledgements to tina Turner)

post-14539-1203232558_thumb.jpg

Hey TTT

As the dust has settled, I totally agree with you

Sorry my ass. Lived in the Alice for a few years and had the stolen mob having meetings in the confrence room at the motel I managed... the full bloods didnt like it so we said no more.

Edit: Back to reid and his quality sails :lol::lol:

day-300-shredded-main-sm.jpg

I'm laughing so hard, I think I'm going to puke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, I like the three pieces of tape holding together that vertical rip! He will pull out that old sail and hoist her but by the time he does that Nicholas will be upon him and they'll get creamed! Humm, creamed cheese...bring out the bagels, SAR team!

For those who didn't listen to their '300 days' audio, he's trying to claim that Sayonara now holds the record for the woman to be at sea the longest. Uh, shouldn't she have had to contribute with the sailing in some way? And anyway, I recall reading somewhere that some woman lives/lived on a cruise ship 24/7 because it was cheaper than a retirement home so Sayonara loses.