Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

His audio report:

http://1000days.net/home/index.php?option=...8&Itemid=71

Worth listening to.."We had all our running lights on, as did we, but we just didn't see each other. We'd only seen one other boat and that was last evening." Somebody was sleeeeeepppppppyyyyyyy....Dumfuck.

And in Ancient News today, scientists report they have invented something called "radar"...

Although honestly, in this case, it would be more effective to tell him that there's a magic box that finds obstacles in his path by sending out Wind Spirits.

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Posted Images

Yep, this is the same 'turtle-shaped' guy. Did a search and found this on Lat38.

In 2001, Stowe set off on a 'shakedown' cruise of 200 days in the Atlantic, following a course shaped like a sea turtle, with his 26-year-old then-wife. Apparently realizing that kind of trip wasn't for her, Stowe's then-wife soon became his ex-wife.

Then in 2002, there came press releases and news items galore that he was finally leaving on the 1,000-day odyssey, but it seems the trip either ended prematurely or was cancelled, as he was back in New York in 2003. Just in time to meet Ahmad.

has anybody seen a report of any sorts from Maersk, the shipping company whose freighter was purportedly involved in a collision at sea......wouldnt there be some official report filed at some point? maybe not til the Maersk vessel arrives at their destination??

has anybody seen a report of any sorts from Maersk, the shipping company whose freighter was purportedly involved in a collision at sea......wouldnt there be some official report filed at some point? maybe not til the Maersk vessel arrives at their destination??

I am guessing that ship never saw him...so there will be no report.

Something I just thought of...since his sprouts are in the bow, do you think there was any damage to them? Now they will starve to death too.

This guy's a nutjob.

I just find it curious that a container ship, with a massive bow wave, is able to cause such a relatively small amount of damage. After the initial contact there is still a whole hell of alot of boat yet to get by you, even if the inital contact was amidships. It's also strange that after the impact, especially not knowing exactly what the damage would be that he did not get on ch 16 and say "hey mf, you hit me, stop!".

according to his own report, they spoke on the vhf and joked how they both momentarily were not watching where the fuck they were going....hmmm let's have a laugh about your xx000 ton ship just hit my dear little Anne....how about you hand me a torch to fix my fucking sprit would be more like it.

according to his own report, they spoke on the vhf and joked how they both momentarily were not watching where the fuck they were going....hmmm let's have a laugh about your xx000 ton ship just hit my dear little Anne....how about you hand me a torch to fix my fucking sprit would be more like it.

Geez. I didn't read the report. I went to that site once when the Minnow Anne got underway. Can't bring myself to go back. That poor girl is going to need alot of therapy.

'

I just find it curious that a container ship, with a massive bow wave, is able to cause such a relatively small amount of damage. After the initial contact there is still a whole hell of alot of boat yet to get by you, even if the inital contact was amidships. It's also strange that after the impact, especially not knowing exactly what the damage would be that he did not get on ch 16 and say "hey mf, you hit me, stop!".

Agreed! The kind of damage sustained would suggest one of the two was static, not both moving. Bending a sprit like that can only happen if: A.) Anne was static and the freighter clipped the sprit, or B.) the freighter was static and whilst takig avoidig action the sprit got caught mid turn bending it.

I mean, if he hit the side midships, he wouldn't stop instantanious, the momentum would push the bow into the ship as well, and as the boat gets dragged along by the freighter, the side and stern would get a pasting as well.

It just doesn't seem right what happened. Freighter doing 16 - 18 knots, tub doing 6, the energy levels are far higher than the damage shows. Something seriously fishy going on here.

would the coasties care at all about this? its clear (from what we all can tell) that something's fucked up with this...would the USCG or any other agency feel that they should investigate this? especially if this guys really is putting the girl in danger.

would the coasties care at all about this? its clear (from what we all can tell) that something's fucked up with this...would the USCG or any other agency feel that they should investigate this? especially if this guys really is putting the girl in danger.

The Coast Guard can terminate a "manifestly unsafe voyage" or order correction of an "especially hazardous condition" (see 33 CFR 177) but if this wingnut has proper lifejackets, fire extinguishers, running lights, isn't leaking fuel, isn't taking on water, the rig is (mostly) still standing, isn't trying to run the Columbia River Bar in breaking surf, isn't intoxicated (in the traditional sense anyway), and hasn't requested USCG assistance, it's most unlikely they'd intervene.

Personally, I think there should be some sort of "DNR" ("Do Not Rescue") order given or required in advance for heart-shaped tracklines in the Pacific and similar weirdness (though I'd apply it only to singlehanded strangeoids, not to their naive inexperienced crews), so the Coast Guard doesn't have to divert resources and put themselves at risk. It'd be like the DNR you give to your hospital. Never happen, though.

not sure if photo is attached or not. don't know whether to hope for soanya's sake that he is tethered on or not.

bowsprit repair: http://1000days.net/home/

Looking at that photo. Hmmm. Makes you wonder, where did all that slack in the headstay come from???

What the heck does the rig look like now? Has anyone aboard bothered to look UP???

That would be the liferaft donated by the ex-wife. I'm pretty sure its filled with sand!

And I heard the EPIRB turned out to be a child's coin bank in the shape of an EPIRB. It was originally filled with gumballs though.

Technically the MAERSK DUNEDIN owes a report to her owners, and also to her flag state, Liberia, which isn't likely to generate any further investigation. And if the damage to the ANNE is over $25K, ANNE owes one to the USCG.

If the Maersk ship calls in Savannah (?) or elsewhere in the US, could the Coast Guard investigate? Maybe, if they're made aware of it (which doubtful) and Maersk lets them (since technically no jurisdiction over high seas non-US flag). They could look for scrape marks and take paint samples.

But they probably have better things to do with their time, especially if they got no report from the ANNE in the first place.

I notice the Maresk Dunedin is a 58,000 gross ton containership, built 2005, so a huge ship, and modern. But the watch officer may have had stacks of containers blocking all but far-off vision, maybe same for his radar depending on location of the transmitter/receiver.

Now granted that they'll never make it this long but... what the heck are

they going to do when she inevitably gets pregnant?

Second that. No way they just glanced off a Maersk Ship.

I vote for the NOAA Can brought up earlier.

Nearest NOAA buoy is about 400nm west of where they 'reported' this collision.

I wonder if just the increased loading due to the ship's waves were enough to cause the sprit to snap and as noted earlier, a collision makes for a better story than a POS boat. I agree we are not getting anything approaching a complete story.

I put the over/under at 31 May for arriving in port.

Nearest NOAA buoy is about 400nm west of where they 'reported' this collision.

I wonder if just the increased loading due to the ship's waves were enough to cause the sprit to snap and as noted earlier, a collision makes for a better story than a POS boat. I agree we are not getting anything approaching a complete story.

I put the over/under at 31 May for arriving in port.

Given the haphazard way this boat was put together, from the keel on up, I'm much more likely to believe that the sprit just snapped the first time a wave put a good load on it.

The man should take his own advice to heart.

I almost made it through that diatribe of bullshit, but when he stated that the masts would stay standing even if a rogue wave were to roll the boat over several times, that was enough for me.

I almost made it through that diatribe of bullshit, but when he stated that the masts would stay standing even if a rogue wave were to roll the boat over several times, that was enough for me.

But duuude they're like solid wood, man!

I like how when he describes how strong his mast is, he says it's made of solid wood and goes all the way from the keel through the deck.

Amazing! What will they think of next?!?

Is this the same guy who wanted to sail in a turtle-shaped pattern in the South Atlantic? I have a Cruising World from 8-10 years ago with such a tale. The parallels are too numerous for it to be otherwise. Wing-nut; delapidated schooner; naive girlfriend....

I don't get the tone of all the posts about this...as is typical with so many forums, peoples' analysis is very shallow, and very negative. I know, it's easy to take potshots from the safety and comfort and anonymity of a keyboard.

The guy has built a 70 boat. Before that, he built other boats and sailed them very long distances, completing ocean passages. He took the schooner Anne that he's on now to Antarctica and back. He's done a nonstop 100 day passage on Anne. He's been preparing for the current trip for a very long time, and has left.

My point is, yeah, there is a lot wrong with the boat and voyage, but this could be said of almost any boat or voyage. What the guy has accomplished so far in his life, and with this boat, is pretty impressive. I suspect it blows most of the weekend beer can racers here out of the water. Few people are so singleminded in their lives in pursuits like this, yet gracious and welcoming; accomplished and experienced, yet not full of himself like some of the hotshot racers (and old salt know-it-all cruisers) are. I think the the guy is sort of guru-like, frankly, and I don't mean that in a good way. And he has some very different ideas from most people...sprouts, yoga, etc...shit, he's an artist; not some boxed in nine-to-fiver office dweller like probably most of y'all are! People thought Knox-Johnston and Moitessier were fucking nuts, too. And they probably were...but that's what it takes sometimes.

At the end of the day, the guy is sailing his 70 foot schooner that he was involved in designing and building and outfitting, and has already sailed to Antarctica and back, after pursuing other ocean sailing adventures...he must know at least something. He may not accomplish 1000 days, but at least he's put a hell of a lot of though, preparation and money into it, and is going for it. The thing is, though, that even if they "only" make it, say, 400 days, or 600 days, they'd be branded "failures" for not making it 1000 days, their stated goal. I don't think they'll make it 1000 days, which is too bad in a way, because they're basically set up to fail. Oh, well, at least they're going for it. Now keep a proper fucking watch, you two, and get your collision avoidance equipment working immediately!!!

I don't get the tone of all the posts about this...as is typical with so many forums, peoples' analysis is very shallow, and very negative. I know, it's easy to take potshots from the safety and comfort and anonymity of a keyboard.

The guy has built a 70 boat. Before that, he built other boats and sailed them very long distances, completing ocean passages. He took the schooner Anne that he's on now to Antarctica and back. He's done a nonstop 100 day passage on Anne. He's been preparing for the current trip for a very long time, and has left.

My point is, yeah, there is a lot wrong with the boat and voyage, but this could be said of almost any boat or voyage. What the guy has accomplished so far in his life, and with this boat, is pretty impressive. I suspect it blows most of the weekend beer can racers here out of the water. Few people are so singleminded in their lives in pursuits like this, yet gracious and welcoming; accomplished and experienced, yet not full of himself like some of the hotshot racers (and old salt know-it-all cruisers) are. I think the the guy is sort of guru-like, frankly, and I don't mean that in a good way. And he has some very different ideas from most people...sprouts, yoga, etc...shit, he's an artist; not some boxed in nine-to-fiver office dweller like probably most of y'all are! People thought Knox-Johnston and Moitessier were fucking nuts, too. And they probably were...but that's what it takes sometimes.

At the end of the day, the guy is sailing his 70 foot schooner that he was involved in designing and building and outfitting, and has already sailed to Antarctica and back, after pursuing other ocean sailing adventures...he must know at least something. He may not accomplish 1000 days, but at least he's put a hell of a lot of though, preparation and money into it, and is going for it. The thing is, though, that even if they "only" make it, say, 400 days, or 600 days, they'd be branded "failures" for not making it 1000 days, their stated goal. I don't think they'll make it 1000 days, which is too bad in a way, because they're basically set up to fail. Oh, well, at least they're going for it. Now keep a proper fucking watch, you two, and get your collision avoidance equipment working immediately!!!

Sorry --my point wasn't to attack anybody...I just wanted to state some of the facts re: boat, skipper, preparation, experience, etc., b/c it seems like every post on this topic is talking from emotion and humor, rather than "facts". Of course, the former is more fun! ;-) But I'm just trying to bring a bit of balance. All I'm saying is, yeah, there is a lot that is freakin' crazy about the voyage; but it's not like he's totally unprepared, inexperienced, etc. And, in fact, having built the boat and taken it to Antarctica and back among other things is nothing small at all. But, of course, apparently not keeping lookout and the other shit (didn't have collision avoidance equipment working!) is just not right. And, as I said, it's kinda said b/c no matter what they do, they'll be seen as a failure --that is, it's very doubtful they'll last 1000 days, so therefore anything short of that will be viewed by everyone as "told you so...failure!" Anyway, enough ranting! Let the games begin...

Peter

Sorry --my point wasn't to attack anybody...I just wanted to state some of the facts re: boat, skipper, preparation, experience, etc., b/c it seems like every post on this topic is talking from emotion and humor, rather than "facts". Of course, the former is more fun! ;-) But I'm just trying to bring a bit of balance. All I'm saying is, yeah, there is a lot that is freakin' crazy about the voyage; but it's not like he's totally unprepared, inexperienced, etc. And, in fact, having built the boat and taken it to Antarctica and back among other things is nothing small at all. But, of course, apparently not keeping lookout and the other shit (didn't have collision avoidance equipment working!) is just not right. And, as I said, it's kinda said b/c no matter what they do, they'll be seen as a failure --that is, it's very doubtful they'll last 1000 days, so therefore anything short of that will be viewed by everyone as "told you so...failure!" Anyway, enough ranting! Let the games begin...

Peter

so would you be so kind as to take that young girls place, her friend paris needs her help

so would you be so kind as to take that young girls place, her friend paris needs her help

You freakin' kidding?! I'm with Paris right now...

OK, I'll admit it is pretty fun to speculate about the two of them cooped up on the ship for 1000 days...running out of rubbers...or some shit like that...but, I don't know, I gotta say I admire the guy's balls. You know what I mean.

You freakin' kidding?! I'm with Paris right now...

OK, I'll admit it is pretty fun to speculate about the two of them cooped up on the ship for 1000 days...running out of rubbers...or some shit like that...but, I don't know, I gotta say I admire the guy's balls. You know what I mean.

On a somewhat more serious note, I just checked their blog and it seems they're planning a sat phone chat tomorrow at 12 noon EST. See here. Might be interesting; might be boring. Anyway, an update on what's going on in their little floating world...

http://1000daysatsea.blogspot.com/

PeterX - if i thought I could live off of other people's handouts for 15 years, I'd build a boat and grow sprouts on it and sail to Antarctica too, but I have to sit in my 9-5 to come up with my own boat bucks to pay for things, so I can go sailing, because I don't want to beg for money from other people...he's got big balls alright.

Peter,

You've missed a little dude. If all you wrote were really true I would agree with you. There are a couple folks on here that got curious a couple years ago and actually checked out the "project." its nothing like you imagine.

I myself actually admire the fact that he really is nuts and believes in himself compleatly but the facts remain as they are and really do need our ridicule.

Peter I'm curious to know who you think is setting him up for failure. A bunch of us lobbing potshots at this guy on some forum on the internet? Or is it the guy who takes a girl that has only been on a sailboat couple a weekends in sheltered waters with absolutley no offshore experience for a 1000 day cruise? Not even a weekend shakedown cruise for her? Or the guy who takes a old liferaft from his ex-wife and doesn't bother to have it inspected for 1000 days offshore? I'd hate to see those seams. Or is it the guy who decides to go below at the end of the day, leaving no watchstander and with absolutley no tools what so ever to for collision avoidance.

Any of those things is an extraordinary circumstance. Sure things go wrong on any trip but he's rolling some big fucking dice. That is not indicative of experience. He may have sea time but sure looks to me like he was just along for the ride.

Peter I'm curious to know who you think is setting him up for failure. A bunch of us lobbing potshots at this guy on some forum on the internet? Or is it the guy who takes a girl that has only been on a sailboat couple a weekends in sheltered waters with absolutley no offshore experience for a 1000 day cruise? Not even a weekend shakedown cruise for her? Or the guy who takes a old liferaft from his ex-wife and doesn't bother to have it inspected for 1000 days offshore? I'd hate to see those seams. Or is it the guy who decides to go below at the end of the day, leaving no watchstander and with absolutley no tools what so ever to for collision avoidance.

Any of those things is an extraordinary circumstance. Sure things go wrong on any trip but he's rolling some big fucking dice. That is not indicative of experience. He may have sea time but sure looks to me like he was just along for the ride.

I meant, in a sense, he is setting himself/themselves up for failure --I mean, I think a lot people are taking cheap shots at him b/c he's an artist and has what you might call some unconventional views (and he's a terrible musician...listen to this CD of his...listen to the song "Everybody Loves the Moon"...fucking hilarious! http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/reidsuzanna --song #3 for example)...on the other hand, he's been around his boat for a long time, having built and rigged it, and sailed to Antartica and back.

That said, I don't think he can last 1000 days...so, given that he lasts 100 days, or 500 days, etc., the voyage will be a failure in terms of achieving its stated aim of being a voyage of 1000 days. I mean him returning from the voyage in less than 1000 days will inevitably be viewed as a failure by media, etc. What I'm saying is, it's his fault for setting so grandiose of a goal. It's kinda like telling your friends and family that you're gonna circumnavigate, you buy the big heavy Westsail 32, you save and prep the boat for a few years, then take off, then reach the Caribbean (starting from the US East Coast, let's say) and then realize you don't want to continue --you'll be viewed as a failure. My point is that he "marketed" the whole voyage terribly...since he is very unlikely to last 1000 days, and when he doesn't he'll be told "I told you so"!

I guess I'm just as curious as everyone else to see how this plays out...but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while...for Crowhurstian sentiments begin to form ;-) The difference between those days, of course, is that he's got a satellite phone, instant comms, etc. And he's not alone.

Day 135

Soanya has Reid boiling in the pot with the sprouts.....

What to watch out for: When she asks for clearly written instructions on how to maintain the engine, how to use the sat phone, how to set up the autopilot and starts taking a lot if interest in navigation....and gets out the biggest pot.

That said, I don't think he can last 1000 days...so, given that he lasts 100 days, or 500 days, etc., the voyage will be a failure in terms of achieving its stated aim of being a voyage of 1000 days. I mean him returning from the voyage in less than 1000 days will inevitably be viewed as a failure by media, etc.

I agree with all of this, but I will add one more element: It is not just that his goal is too ambitious, it's that it's freaking stupid. The goal itself is inane. Who gives a crap if you can live on a boat for 3 years? What does that really mean to anyone? It's just like his attempts to sail around in the pattern of a turtle. Who gives a flying fuck even if you can do it? It doesn't prove you're a good seaman or navigator or sailor, you're not exploring new lands or expanding man's horizons, it just proves that you're brain-dead enough to be able to tolerate long periods of boredom.

Now keep a proper fucking watch, you two, and get your collision avoidance equipment working immediately!!!

He doesn't have any!

Quote from his site:

"radar is a good idea, but they do cost a lot of money, and money was something Reid didn't have much of, and no one stepped up to donate one. Another problem with radar is that they consume a lot of electrical power, and that is a complex problem for a boat that gets most of its electrical power from solar panels".

At the risk of repeating what has already been said - the guy said they would remain standing, he didn't say that they would still be attached to the boat.

17 days 151 posts, if they make it and we keep up this average rate will that be a new SA record?

He doesn't have any!

Quote from his site:

". Another problem with radar is that they consume a lot of electrical power, and that is a complex problem for a boat that gets most of its electrical power from solar panels".

This from the guy who mounted a solar panel on the vertical side of the doghouse?? (see pics of couple in bow)

This from the guy who mounted a solar panel on the vertical side of the doghouse?? (see pics of couple in bow)

Oh, c'mon - that's so that they can see sunrise and sunset - panels love beauty just as much as the next guy!

PeterX - you were defending the dude the last time around - I think I remember you had some connection to him - or was that the dude with the 8 foot boat in Washington...

At the risk of repeating what has already been said - the guy said they would remain standing, he didn't say that they would still be attached to the boat.

17 days 151 posts, if they make it and we keep up this average rate will that be a new SA record?

Less than 10 posts/day? The FOYD thread was way over that and lasted a couple of years.

Oh, c'mon - that's so that they can see sunrise and sunset - panels love beauty just as much as the next guy!

PeterX - you were defending the dude the last time around - I think I remember you had some connection to him - or was that the dude with the 8 foot boat in Washington...

Ah, jeez, ya remember me from the Harley 8 thread ;-)?! Yeah, yeah, I was defending him only insofar as guys like him kinda do really have the essence of anarchy in them, like Reid. I mean it. I mean, who the fuck else would be so crazy as to even dream of something like sailing non-stop for a 1000 days. Yeah, as someone said above, it proves fuck all...but so does circumnavigating...and what Reid is supposedly trying to do (I say supposedly b/c I'm not really sure he himself actually believes he will actually try to stay out for 1000 days) has never been done before. That's kinda anarchy, ain't it? Breaking the rules. I guess that's where I'm really coming from --who needs to read yet another Cruising World article about a trans-Pacific trade wind passage; or cruising Southern Chile; or racing across the Atlantic, etc. Been there, done that. This is new shit; no one has ever thought of doing something like this, as stupid, crazy and whacked as it may be...

(But there are some rules that just aren't meant to be broken...he is a fuckin' terrible singer!! That shit on the CD in the link above is frickin' hilarious!)

Now about those solar panels...Earth to frickin' Reid, Earth to Reid... ;-)

[Quote from his site:

"radar is a good idea, but they do cost a lot of money, ... and no one stepped up to donate one."

Damn! I hate it when that happens! OK, Reid, my fault; I was all set to give you one, and then I decided that giving money to starving children was a better use of my dollars. Sorry, dude, don't know what I was thinking.

So if I stated that I was going to sail around the moon on a laser, that makes me a true Anarchist? In an opti maybe, but a laser; Not bloody likely. If anything, this makes me out to be a fucking lunatic (no pun intended), and a point of ridicule on SA.

Reverend!

Ah, jeez, ya remember me from the Harley 8 thread ;-)?! Yeah, yeah, I was defending him only insofar as guys like him kinda do really have the essence of anarchy in them, like Reid. I mean it. I mean, who the fuck else would be so crazy as to even dream of something like sailing non-stop for a 1000 days. Yeah, as someone said above, it proves fuck all...but so does circumnavigating...and what Reid is supposedly trying to do (I say supposedly b/c I'm not really sure he himself actually believes he will actually try to stay out for 1000 days) has never been done before. That's kinda anarchy, ain't it? Breaking the rules. I guess that's where I'm really coming from --who needs to read yet another Cruising World article about a trans-Pacific trade wind passage; or cruising Southern Chile; or racing across the Atlantic, etc. Been there, done that. This is new shit; no one has ever thought of doing something like this, as stupid, crazy and whacked as it may be...

I don't know why you say that no one ever thought about doing anything like this. Every time I had a hot chick crewing on a delivery I thought of being alone for a thousand days with her at sea, and everything I'd do to her. It's not anarchy - it's the desire to fuck a girl in every possible position using every hole. Can you imagine the size of the bag Reid's got that's full of sex toys? It's probably bigger than his sack of weed.

Circumnavigating is an exciting and rare goal to have - for a sailor there are few things more impressive, especially if it's done at speed. Cruising around the world - still impressive; but something that enough septagenarians have done that it ain't what it once was. Cruising in a heart shape...for a thousand days...

Hey - anyone remember the Frenchman who drifted across the Atlantic in a liferaft for three months or something while drinking his own piss mixed with seawater? I don't see that as too bright either, but at least he fucking contributed something to sailors and seamanship - All Reid leaves is a trail of deflowered young girls, scammed "voyage sponsors" who didn't know any better, and metal filings.

Hey - anyone remember the Frenchman who drifted across the Atlantic in a liferaft for three months or something while drinking his own piss mixed with seawater? I don't see that as too bright either, but at least he fucking contributed something to sailors and seamanship - All Reid leaves is a trail of deflowered young girls, scammed "voyage sponsors" who didn't know any better, and metal filings.

was the frenchman's contribution to sailors and seamanship the fact that he survived or did i miss out on something there?

was the frenchman's contribution to sailors and seamanship the fact that he survived or did i miss out on something there?

No, that he did a lot of research on how diluted saltwater needs to be before you can get hydrated off of it - fascinating shit actually - as well as some new techniques for open water survival - unfortunately never translated IIRC although I've been looking for a copy in French for a while.

Now back to the fucking thousand-day heart...brought to you by E-Z Widers and Allux Birth Control Pills.

What with Cruising Anarchy and all Reid should be supported by SA and given the opportunity to regularly post his experiences on the front page. He's a very creative writer. Considering all the press he's received imagine how much publicity SA would garner if he and his lovely girlfriend were swaddled in SA gear?

What with Cruising Anarchy and all Reid should be supported by SA and given the opportunity to regularly post his experiences on the front page. He's a very creative writer. Considering all the press he's received imagine how much publicity SA would garner if he and his lovely girlfriend were swaddled in SA gear?

Which do you think would work better: Dryshirt or ProWik?

No, that he did a lot of research on how diluted saltwater needs to be before you can get hydrated off of it - fascinating shit actually - as well as some new techniques for open water survival - unfortunately never translated IIRC although I've been looking for a copy in French for a while.

Now back to the fucking thousand-day heart...brought to you by E-Z Widers and Allux Birth Control Pills.

You would be speaking of Bombard, the name you see on inflatables and life rafts (don't know if they are still in business). He did contribute a ton to the knowlege base on survival at sea techniques...a topic that dominated the ocean voyagers mind much more before the advent of satelite EPIRB.

He was a a little kooky though, and ended up destroying his health using himself as a guinea pig.

Here's a biography of Alain Bombard, who died in 2005. The guys was one brave mf'er...one of his books was published in English (though the French isn't that difficult to read slowly if you've had high school French).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/o...ticle546968.ece

Personally, I think too many people are focusing on the so-called heart-shaped pattern thingie...I mean, Knox-Johnston circumnavigated VERY slowly in his old leaky little ketch...average speed around 3-4 knots...and he was lauded as the first to do so...Moitessier, of course, did him one better and kept going and was also lauded (in a different way)...yeah, Reid's a bit, well, shall we say, unconventional...I think that is why he is such a lightning rod for criticism, especially in America, which tends to be much more conservative overall. In Britain and France, such eccentrics are more widely accepted, in my view. Or should I say, stepping out of the box of social expectations and doing eccentric things is not so roundly condemned. Americans just can't seem to wrap their head around a long-distance racing sailor who screams through the Southern Ocean for weeks at a time as a sport hero...like Autissier, or Stamm, etc. Hell, even going back many years to the great Eric Tabarly. I'm not comparing Reid Stowe to Autissier et al., just trying to make the point that I think Americans view eccentrics and the grand/crazy things they undertake with a lot more skepticism. Just my opinion...feel free to shoot it full of holes ;-) How about those chaps decades ago who crossed the Atlantic, etc. in folding Klepper kayaks (google it)...foolhardy and stupid, perhaps, but anarchistic, man!!!

Here's a biography of Alain Bombard, who died in 2005. The guys was one brave mf'er...one of his books was published in English (though the French isn't that difficult to read slowly if you've had high school French).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/o...ticle546968.ece

Thanks for that.

I'm not comparing Reid Stowe to Autissier et al.,

Actually, you are. Tell us more about Reid's Antarctica trip - you seem to know all the details.

Thanks for that.

Actually, you are. Tell us more about Reid's Antarctica trip - you seem to know all the details.

I think the book is called "The Bombard Story".

I knew I shoulda been more careful in invoking the names of Tabarly, Autissier, etc.!! I guess just by mentioning them I was implicitly comparing Stowe to them. Really, that wasn't my intention...those people, including Knox-Johnston, are in the pantheon of sailing gods...I mean that seriously. They were hardheaded pioneers...real seaman/sailors (and Autissier definitely was someone who helped trailblaze the path for women in sport). I was just kind of typing stream of consciousness, so to speak, trying to figure out why people like Stowe (so-called wacky artists) are usually regarded skeptically in America, whereas in Europe such eccentrics tend to accepted more. I'm saying that --and this is a totally untestable hypothesis-- if Stowe were not a performance artist/painter (and terrible singer!!), shaman/yogi, etc. I doubt he'd be as ridiculed here. That is, if he were just known as a sailor, I think it'd be a different story. I think that since he is definitely unconventional, "serious sailors" can only see the so-called flaky-ness.

I gotta admit, I don't know the details of the Antarctic trip --are you suggesting there is a bit of sham there. I don't know...it just seems to me that taking a big boat like that to Ant. and back requires some real know-how...in addition to the multi-hundred day sail he did more recently, which he unabashedly called performance art. So, maybe he needs to be judged with different criteria, i.e., as a performance artist and not as a sailor...a Cristo of the sea...OK, I'm being a bit corny here, but I'm half serious --b/c he clearly doesn't have the respect of the "sailing community".

I meant, in a sense, he is setting himself/themselves up for failure --I mean, I think a lot people are taking cheap shots at him b/c he's an artist and has what you might call some unconventional views ...

A lot of crap passes for Art, and always has, but if this ends as many of think it will, he will have committed negligent homicide - not art.

At least he's moving up in the world. Until now, he's only been guilty of a little fraud.

Which do you think would work better: Dryshirt or ProWik?

Haven't you read? Depends on the temperature and humidity at the time. Crew should be well inventoried with both.

Too late for Dry Armour to sponsor? After seeing Doyle's sponsorship I'm dashing out for some Stratis rags.

Whatever is good enough for Reid is....nevermind.

A lot of crap passes for Art, and always has, but if this ends as many of think it will, he will have committed negligent homicide - not art.

At least he's moving up in the world. Until now, he's only been guilty of a little fraud.

What fraud? I don't know the guy, and yeah, I do think he's flakey --but it's an entirely different matter to say someone is guilty of fraud. Details? Are you referring to people wanting to give him money to support his dream/plan for years, and it never getting off the ground? Hardly fraud.

Re: the recent collision - the more I think about it, the more I'm just astonished --he claims since no one "stepped up" to "donate" a radar or money for one, this is why he doesn't have it --a radar costs no more than about $1000, not much for an essential piece of safety gear for an extreme voyage like that! It was noted on their site that power to run a radar is a concern...but what about a wind generator, combined with their solar panels (I doubt they have a power-hungry fridge to run!), and what about a tow generator...plenty of power there, even to run the radar only at night. And he should have multiple radar reflectors on the boat, affixed to the masts up high.

What fraud? I don't know the guy, and yeah, I do think he's flakey --but it's an entirely different matter to say someone is guilty of fraud. Details? Are you referring to people wanting to give him money to support his dream/plan for years, and it never getting off the ground? Hardly fraud.

Re: the recent collision - the more I think about it, the more I'm just astonished --he claims since no one "stepped up" to "donate" a radar or money for one, this is why he doesn't have it --a radar costs no more than about $1000, not much for an essential piece of safety gear for an extreme voyage like that! It was noted on their site that power to run a radar is a concern...but what about a wind generator, combined with their solar panels (I doubt they have a power-hungry fridge to run!), and what about a tow generator...plenty of power there, even to run the radar only at night. And he should have multiple radar reflectors on the boat, affixed to the masts up high.

Whoa there pardner! Nest time I make a joke I'll ring a bell so everyone will know it is a joke.

No, I can't personally point to any specific illegal activity, but I do think his sponging off of contirbutors for years has to come close - at least ethically if not criminally.

Say a prayer Soanya and have a great weekend.

Whoa there pardner! Nest time I make a joke I'll ring a bell so everyone will know it is a joke.

No, I can't personally point to any specific illegal activity, but I do think his sponging off of contirbutors for years has to come close - at least ethically if not criminally.

Say a prayer Soanya and have a great weekend.

Hey, I don't think it's asking too much for someone to substantiate an accusation of fraud! I hadn't realized you were joking...it wasn't clear. Look, I think the guy has a lot of fair amount of ridiculousness about him, so don't get me wrong. But I think it's something else entirely to say someone has defrauded others. I mean, sponging off people isn't fraud --they freely (and maybe stupidly) parted with their money! They probably got some kind of thrill by contributing to his project...and probably had plenty of money to spare (but apparently not enough for Reid to afford a basic cheap radar!!! ;-) )

Have a great weekend...cheers.

Peter

So if we havent heard from them after 1000 days, does it mean they are just continuing on?

And what about a doublehanded race, where the distance is so long that you can come back with a full crew after 18 years!

Rulebreakers!

even the mars expedition: (which reed so affiliates himself with) sent back some great data. what is the update on anne?

a fish.

no, we don't want to see the masthead, or where all the crap that came from the foredeck is now lashed down, (or not), no, don't bother with the actual fittings involved or even a picture of my poor misguided soanya. just show me a fish.

petex..i'm sorry. i sail in the caribbean. many of my friends are adventurers and kooks; we make allowances and they are all good souls. but this man is a con man. he exploits all the universe gives him.

soanya is a trained photographer...let her chronical 1000 days with reed.

by the way redboat; i'm quite impressed with you always keeping an eye on the bottom line; some of us are distracted by matters of the 'heart'.

Have you been using witchy magic on me?

"Doom and Unmitigated Falure" and now "Have you been using witchy magic on me?"

Two of the all time greatest quotes on SA.

Ever.

Sorry to disagree...do you know how much power "grow lights" use? He needs a full bank of batteries to power these. :ph34r:

Haven't you read? Depends on the temperature and humidity at the time. Crew should be well inventoried with both.

Too late for Dry Armour to sponsor? After seeing Doyle's sponsorship I'm dashing out for some Stratis rags.

Whatever is good enough for Reid is....nevermind.

Reid's bowsprit "mishap" has created the perfect win/win for West Performance Rigging PBO systems; Reid will help WPR show the world that PBO can survive a thousand days at sea and at least that many collisions with tankers.

You're a genius, Red!

I don't know why you say that no one ever thought about doing anything like this. Every time I had a hot chick crewing on a delivery I thought of being alone for a thousand days with her at sea, and everything I'd do to her. It's not anarchy - it's the desire to fuck a girl in every possible position using every hole. Can you imagine the size of the bag Reid's got that's full of sex toys? It's probably bigger than his sack of weed.

Circumnavigating is an exciting and rare goal to have - for a sailor there are few things more impressive, especially if it's done at speed. Cruising around the world - still impressive; but something that enough septagenarians have done that it ain't what it once was. Cruising in a heart shape...for a thousand days...

Clean...now I'm having flashbacks to "Waterworld"

"Doom and Unmitigated Falure" and now "Have you been using witchy magic on me?"

Two of the all time greatest quotes on SA.

Ever.

Nah...there is so much pure gold in

those quotes pale to insignificance.

This thread needs to go away! It's like watching a bad car wreck, I can't look the other way.

inevitably they will, either, die or give up. The train is still in motion but it's just a matter of time until it derails.

Nah...there is so much pure gold in
those quotes pale to insignificance.

excellent fun, thats what the bullimore interview will sound like, only he hasn't been out that long.

Put them together for a delivery trip :lol: