• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

There she found the proud wooers. They were taking their pleasure at draughts in front of the doors, sitting on the hides of oxen which they themselves had

slain; and of the heralds3 and busy squires, [110] some were mixing wine and water for them in bowls, others again were washing the tables with porous

sponges and setting them forth, while still others were portioning out meats in abundance. Her the godlike Telemachus was far the first to see, for he was sitting

among the wooers, sad at heart, [115] seeing in thought his noble father, should he perchance come from somewhere and make a scattering of the wooers in

the palace, and himself win honor and rule over his own house. As he thought of these things, sitting among the wooers, he beheld Athena, and he went straight

to the outer door; for in his heart he counted it shame [120] that a stranger should stand long at the gates. So, drawing near, he clasped her right hand, and

took from her the spear of bronze; and he spoke, and addressed her with winged words:4 “Hail, stranger; in our house thou shalt find entertainment and then,

when thou hast tasted food, thou shalt tell of what thou hast need.”

WTF are you talking about STO LAT??

I'm just skimming through the posts to see if he's still alive - so forgive me if I've missed a point somewhere. If I have missed any correlation can someone fill me in?

I'm just skimming through the posts to see if he's still alive - so forgive me if I've missed a point somewhere. If I have missed any correlation can someone fill me in?

book of the month anarchy-don't try to understand

We are supposed to have a point to post here? :blink:

(this is just a guess/admit i skimmed last few stardate logs)

looks like r.w. has mixed up his feelings for mj and reid into a strange emotional stew of twitter quotes:

http://twitter.com/1kd

I still have the little boy's innocent enterprising drive with a vigorous circulation of sap.

about 9 hours ago from web

1kd?-1 knot drifter?

Imagine that ~ Weed on Twitter! Looks like maybe he's setting up his next "marks" ~ did you notice who HE is "following"? Among 28 total ~

Whole Food Markets

JetBlue Airways

Dr. Drew

Tim O'Reilly

Ellen

Dave Matthews

LeVar Burton

The White House

and Brad Pitt ? :blink:

So he "twitters" Brad............

Hello Brad!! Reid Stowe here! I've been out here at seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaa for over 800 days now, on a dangerous and historic mission.

Here at seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa, I will continue creating my art. The sail canvas speaks to me in the voices of past voyagers.

I understand you are a serious art collector. Perhaps when I return, we could arrange for you to seeeeeeeeeeeee my creations.

Imagine that ~ Weed on Twitter! Looks like maybe he's setting up his next "marks" ~ did you notice who HE is "following"? Among 28 total ~

Whole Food Markets

JetBlue Airways

Dr. Drew

Tim O'Reilly

Ellen

Dave Matthews

LeVar Burton

The White House

and Brad Pitt ? :blink:

So he "twitters" Brad............

Hello Brad!! Reid Stowe here! I've been out here at seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaa for over 800 days now, on a dangerous and historic mission.

Here at seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa, I will continue creating my art. The sail canvas speaks to me in the voices of past voyagers.

I understand you are a serious art collector. Perhaps when I return, we could arrange for you to seeeeeeeeeeeee my creations.

Brad (isn't it tweets?) back:

did we meet at the devoted dad's club?

WTF is a worm shirt?

no, i'm NOT sappy.

I still have the little boy's innocent enterprising drive with a vigorous circulation of sap.]

OK, Dude! That's just nasty and I have no desire to read of Reid fucking mildewed pillows.

Seriously... yuck!

You'd rather visualize?

:lol: Ewwwwwwwwww Pip!!!!!

3702107196_0f6a4235c9_o.jpg

quote JPlanet....

I though the mason/dixon line was renamed the Waffle House/IHOP line

Acutually it's the Dunkin' Donuts / Krispy Kreme line.

I beg to differ

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/36622

Well...if it's on the interweb thingie then it's GOTTA be true... :P

Obiviously not.....wolfsey is posting

125] So saying, he led the way, and Pallas Athena followed. And when they were within the lofty house, he bore the spear and set it against a tall pillar in a

polished spear-rack, where were set many spears besides, even those of Odysseus of the steadfast heart. [130] Athena herself he led and seated on a chair,

spreading a linen cloth beneath--a beautiful chair, richly-wrought,1 and below was a footstool for the feet. Beside it he placed for himself an inlaid seat, apart

from the others, the wooers, lest the stranger, vexed by their din, should loathe the meal, seeing that he was in the company of overweening men; [135] and

also that he might ask him about his father that was gone. Then a handmaid brought water for the hands in a fair pitcher of gold, and poured it over a silver

basin for them to wash, and beside them drew up a polished table. And the grave housewife brought and set before them bread, [140] and therewith dainties in

abundance, giving freely of her store. And a carver lifted up and placed before them platters of all manner of meats, and set by them golden goblets, while a

herald ever walked to and fro pouring them wine. Then in came the proud wooers, and thereafter [145] sat them down in rows on chairs and high seats.

Heralds poured water over their hands, and maid-servants heaped by them bread in baskets, and youths filled the bowls brim full of drink; and they put forth

their hands to the good cheer lying ready before them. :P

I, for one, appreciate your efforts to bring us rogues up to a higher level of scholarly enlightenment.

3704059487_cf1c4653d7_o.jpg

Been there, done that, and anyone that thinks it is quick and painless hasn't done it in a while. Just sayin'

I haven't done it in a while, you're right. I'm lucky that now I get to owe money to lawyers to let them do it for me. But I'm sure you agree with me that it's not a whole lot more difficult than spending a week rebuilding an Atomic 4 while half-drunk on Schlitz.

That's the trouble with Schlitz... you always only get half drunk! %$#@!!!

Been there, done that, and anyone that thinks it is quick and painless hasn't done it in a while. Just sayin'

I haven't done it in a while, you're right. I'm lucky that now I get to owe money to lawyers to let them do it for me. But I'm sure you agree with me that it's not a whole lot more difficult than spending a week rebuilding an Atomic 4 while half-drunk on Schlitz.

Try Colt 45. It works every time.

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2009/06/mi...ms-returns.html

Try Colt 45. It works every time.

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2009/06/mi...ms-returns.html

I'll vouch for that! :lol: Though Billy D never came to visit......

I for one am enjoying STO LAT'S recitation of Homer. After all, Weird Stowe certainly does liken himself to a Greek hero (and even a God). Perhaps a nice reading of Cervantes Don Quixote would also be in order? B) .

Work and third world countries has kept me out of touch these last few months. I would like to know just two things, is he dead yet?

and who the fuck is mikewofsey?

Watch out, rightstuff... Don't get him started... Better put him on ignore, quick! :ph34r:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Latest snooze from the "One Knot Shitbox Drifter-Grifter"...

Roller furler has given up, due to lack of normal, seamanlike maintenance. Which mission critical system is next to fail???

And, how can he be doing a "people deprived-self/isolation-mars analagous" experiment, when he has a sat phone, plus facebook and twitter pages??

What's next?

Perhaps he will start channelling Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon!! He's already done buddha and Jesus..

Does he wear a safety harness when he ventures out onto the bowsprit to handle sails?

Discuss now, and please stay on topic..

807.jpg

Day 807 - July 8, 2009

SW, 10 knots, Course N, Speed 1 knot , Position 8*25n by 17*40w

Roller Furling Unit KO'd

The roller furling unit is down on the deck for the count with a technical knock out that will keep him there for the rest of the voyage. He did well for many miles and is well designed, but I think a little too finicky to take years of non-stop bashes from the high seas elements.

I finally got the roller furling sail repaired, but the problem was the aluminum extrusions with the groove for the sail to slide up had shifted at the joints ever so slightly, just enough to keep the sail from going up and down. Without a variety of replacement parts I can't fix the unit out here at sea.

This does not worry me as I still have my basic heavy duty gaff schooner rig intact and working as it should. I had to climb the mast twice to get it down. Being alone, I rigging numerous lines to relieve pressure here and there and guide it to the deck. Now I am in the process of converting the roller furling sail into a hank on sail that I can hoist up the headstay with a halyard and pull down with a downhaul.

Downing a jib on a schooner requires working over the bowsprit and because I am alone, I have to go back and forth to the bow a couple of times to get the sail under control. The trick to getting that big sail down and keeping it and the sheet out of the ocean is to haul down the sail without releasing the sheet. It goes most of the way down; then I go forward and throw a line around it and pull it inboard. Then I go back and release the jib sheet to my mark; after that, I go forward again and secure the sail. Of course I am always wearing my safety harness.

To convert the furling sail I have to sew a strong rope on the leading edge, stamp big grommets into the sail next to the rope and tie on brass hanks. In the meantime the squalls keep coming with a blast of strong wind and within half a day or night they pass.

The southerly winds are still pushing us Northward, but I expect soon we will met the NE trades and the current that flows with them and we will be pushed back to the South. I patiently live here in this beautiful isolated sky-roofed cathedral, checking it out, in no hurry for a change.

I am curious but not thinking too much what will happen next. I move with the wind and current.

There is no doubt that Weid will be remembered by the Royal Perth Yacht Club, sponsors and friends alike, as the only person on the planet with the nerve to dump a pregnant woman or a 70 foot long flaming package on their doorsteps and run away laughing. How would you like to be a sponsor to this circus ?

The only people who still think he is LOVERLY are those morally challenged and who havent paid sufficient attention or are trying their best to ignore the ringing doorbell and sounds of laughter.

Whenever i see Michael Jackson going HE HE HE and moonwalking backwards (away from responsibility ?), I think of Weidy.

R, have you been sneaking a peek at Weidy's "Idiots guide to dropping a headsail" (You remember, the overdue library copy "donated" to Suenya's extensive coastal navigation course bookcase) again ?

This latest scandal, is a better than normal Hovian attempt at ghostwriting , but it just shows you dont know your man. There is no way that Cur Driftalot (AKA sir Knapalot) is going to be wrestling with a big thin sail on a bowsprit, in an attempt to add .00000000000000000000000000001 of a knot boatspeed to that POS, while allowing a broken POS roller headsail assembly to remain rolling around the deck for the rest of the "journey".

Now R, if you just fessed up, and put your name on the bottom of the drivel you write, and wrote a treatise instead, on how to tie-die and knit a poncho from sprout seeds, in 148 enthralling chapters that take no longer than 2 minutes to read per chapter, (the average attention span of Sir Wankalot, before he needs another one of his naps), then you would get some real Hovian credibility.... You MUST be drawing an allowance out of the "Reid Debt" account, to keep doing this..

You are living proof that it is a bad idea to leave the village idiot behind to watch the store.

As no doubt, many doctors have REGRETTED asking you in the past, What EXACTLY DO YOU THINK IS WRONG ?

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Latest snooze from the "One Knot Shitbox Drifter-Grifter"...

Roller furler has given up, due to lack of normal, seamanlike maintenance. Which mission critical system is next to fail???

And, how can he be doing a "people deprived-self/isolation-mars analagous" experiment, when he has a sat phone, plus facebook and twitter pages??

What's next?

Perhaps he will start channelling Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon!! He's already done buddha and Jesus..

Does he wear a safety harness when he ventures out onto the bowsprit to handle sails?

Discuss now, and please stay on topic..

Day 807 - July 8, 2009

SW, 10 knots, Course N, Speed 1 knot , Position 8*25n by 17*40w

Roller Furling Unit KO'd

The roller furling unit is down on the deck for the count with a technical knock out that will keep him there for the rest of the voyage. He did well for many miles and is well designed, but I think a little too finicky to take years of non-stop bashes from the high seas elements.

I finally got the roller furling sail repaired, but the problem was the aluminum extrusions with the groove for the sail to slide up had shifted at the joints ever so slightly, just enough to keep the sail from going up and down. Without a variety of replacement parts I can't fix the unit out here at sea.

This does not worry me as I still have my basic heavy duty gaff schooner rig intact and working as it should. I had to climb the mast twice to get it down. Being alone, I rigging numerous lines to relieve pressure here and there and guide it to the deck. Now I am in the process of converting the roller furling sail into a hank on sail that I can hoist up the headstay with a halyard and pull down with a downhaul.

Downing a jib on a schooner requires working over the bowsprit and because I am alone, I have to go back and forth to the bow a couple of times to get the sail under control. The trick to getting that big sail down and keeping it and the sheet out of the ocean is to haul down the sail without releasing the sheet. It goes most of the way down; then I go forward and throw a line around it and pull it inboard. Then I go back and release the jib sheet to my mark; after that, I go forward again and secure the sail. Of course I am always wearing my safety harness.

To convert the furling sail I have to sew a strong rope on the leading edge, stamp big grommets into the sail next to the rope and tie on brass hanks. In the meantime the squalls keep coming with a blast of strong wind and within half a day or night they pass.

The southerly winds are still pushing us Northward, but I expect soon we will met the NE trades and the current that flows with them and we will be pushed back to the South. I patiently live here in this beautiful isolated sky-roofed cathedral, checking it out, in no hurry for a change.

I am curious but not thinking too much what will happen next. I move with the wind and current.

Lord Backstay, First Earl of the Cove, Groundhog of Essex --- Do you even read the shit?

But ---- Since it was brought up, courtesan of TC ---

Farrah Fawcett died a few days ago and was a such a class act.

When she stood at the Gates of Heaven, God asked her to make one wish.

Being the caring, compassionate person she was, she told God she wished

for every child in the world to be safe.

Wait for it......

So God killed Michael Jackson.

Lately, this thread is about as interesting as the 1000 Days website.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble. Could you start out each posting of yours with.

Well you know there Normy.

LMAO, second that request!

Getting worried asshole course we don't talk about you or your bullshit?? As a regular psycho that should worry you I presume......

Idiot, here is the solution for you..

post-28042-1247235135_thumb.png

ET

Lord Backstay, First Earl of the Cove, Groundhog of Essex --- Do you even read the shit?

Sorry mate, my bad!! Must have been too much blood in my alcohol level......

Getting worried asshole course we don't talk about you or your bullshit?? As a regular psycho that should worry you I presume......

ET

Yeesh. And you think I'M psycho? Here's something that might help you ...

all-bran-front-400-619.jpg

Mike's right ~ this is boring. C'mon! Somebody else go nudge B2S to update the Atlantic thread, pleeeeeze! Bump and grovel!!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...0&start=500

Too bad you missed the B2S days, Mike ~ we couldn't wait for our daily updates, especially when the Vendee racers and Weed were converging under The Horn. His threads were the ONLY 1000 Days educational material, featuring a wealth of insightful weather and currents data, along with special contributions from our Geography and Vessel Watch Committees (Sto-lat :P ). You start with the Atlantic thread above, then move to the Pacific thread below... now we're back in the Atlantic, with hurricane season approaching..........

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...0&start=700

Mike's right ~ this is boring. C'mon! Somebody else go nudge B2S to update the Atlantic thread, pleeeeeze! Bump and grovel!!

Too bad you missed the B2S days, Mike ~ we couldn't wait for our daily updates, especially when the Vendee racers and Weed were converging under The Horn. His threads were the ONLY 1000 Days educational material, featuring a wealth of insightful weather and currents data, along with special contributions from our Geography and Vessel Watch Committees (Sto-lat :P ). You start with the Atlantic thread above, then move to the Pacific thread below... now we're back in the Atlantic, with hurricane season approaching..........

Nah, this is getting interesting again. We were just in the doldrums for a few days there.

post-28042-1247235135_thumb.png

ET

amen, what a creep. sail away into desal water mike. you've offered whatever peanuts of info you possesed, now go blow.

JPlanet, you want the summertime weather, go to caribwx.com

"Carbon Unit" "Little Buddy"

'Nough said.

Miss ya B2S!

Day 809 - July 10, 2009

Wind S, 5 knots, Course NW, Speed 1.4 knots, Position 8*47n by 17*36w

Changed My Prayer

In the early twilight time before dawn I was saying my prayer in a half sleep and I changed it to plural; or should I say it changed itself thereby becoming more meaningful and powerful. "Oh God, thank you so much. We are so grateful. We love you and need you. Thank you so much for taking good care of us and healing us and ridding us of our doubts and fears, so that every move we make is for betterment."

I hear a chorus chant with me as if we were in a universal size church. Now the prayer includes everyone and is much more effective for us. I try to stay concentrated only on the prayer. For what is the use of thinking of 1,000 worldly things in a holy, pure space like this? And what is the use of old memories again and again or hopes and wishes for the future? And I need a respite from thinking how am I going to fix this and that and how best to survive. Prayer helps.

My mind is still unruly and people of all sorts pop in out of the blue. It is mostly family and people I love, so that is good. I am saying my prayers for and with them. In this state of exalted oneness with all of humanity of course people drop in who I would rather not see, but I welcome them and pray even more fervently. I see no other option but to pray for them and give them love. They too are part of me, part of the grand web of life that we all are part of and the more love I can give them and the happier I can make them, the better off we all will be.

No matter how other people think or act, this odyssey of solitude has helped me see everything with a lot more love and light. Everything is now included in my constant prayer of gratitude, love, healing and action for humankind. I forget that I am praying and light bursts out from me. I illuminate the day and night. Everything that was or will be is saturated with this light, swirling beyond dimension, very tiny, very large, all encompassing. Photo: Wild green garden on deck.

3709939346_d269ffe506_o.jpg

Hey Sto Lat --- He said "odyssey" .......................Heh-heh.

Weid's growing weeds in his lines; how seamanlike...

809-003.jpg

Not for nuthin', and the last thing I want to do is adversely impact anyone's self esteem, but if you've got trees growing in your "ropes" on deck, I don't think you're trying hard enough.

Cripes - I don't know why, but this is reminding me of the quandary of that single shoe on the side of the Van Wyck Expressway.

Like Reid, this thread just keeps going and going and going. :lol:

3710224222_814ce060b6_o.jpg

How did you get a pic of Wofsey's wife? VERY NICE! I'll bet Reid would hit that!

Thats not nice to say. Wofsey may be a bore but I don't think insulting his wife is in good form. Unless he has started in on family first, then its game on.

How did you get a pic of Wofsey's wife? VERY NICE! I'll bet Reid would hit that!

Thats not nice to say. Wofsey may be a bore but I don't think insulting his wife is in good form. Unless he has started in on family first, then its game on.

OK, but he did indicate his - well, uh - disdain for his situation - so I just assumed he married an Alabama woman and that was her. My apologies if she is not... But Reid would hit that - right?

OK, but he did indicate his - well, uh - disdain for his situation - so I just assumed he married an Alabama woman and that was her. My apologies if she is not... But Reid would hit that - right?

"Disdain"? I dig it here Viking, but sometimes things gets boring. Whatreyagonnado?

Alabama women are typically pretty attractive Red, that Sheila is clearly a Red Sox fan.

and light bursts out from me. I illuminate the day and night.

the rest of us call that poop

Got any paper on your side?

No, Senator Craig....

I was in the airport waiting for a connecting flight, taking a dump, wearing my green Chuck Taylors and my IPod headphones. I was listening to MJ's Thriller and tapping my foot to the music, not soliciting sex from the senator, but one thing led to another.

He promised he'd call, but no - nothing. I feel so cheap.....used......almost dirty.

BTW BB - I got an unexpected call from LH last night, who'd obviously been drinking since he hit the dock in Halifax. He invited me to a wedding he'd crashed just up cove at the marina. I tossed on a tie and blazer, took a short walk, and by the end of the night I was behind the bar doing shots with the father of the bride. Pops had some damned good cigars.

He seems to go for the athletic types so my answer is. Only if she had a trust fund.

Nobody wants to see that shit!

>20 years old with totally used-up udders... :(

What's up with that? :blink:

Nothing wrong with used-up udders, she apparently nursed some babies with them, they have given life.

All respect for breast-feeding moms, even (shudder) Red Sox fans.

Nothing wrong with used-up udders, she apparently nursed some babies with them, they have given life.

All respect for breast-feeding moms, even (shudder) Red Sox fans.

Breast feeding Nazi from La Leche? Some of those fuckers advocate breast feeding beyond the age of 4. When you see a 13 yo kid suckling, that's just wrong in a highly incestual way. As for the woman in the photo - used up? "Hey - I tuck my tits into my socks when I'm not wearing that oxen yoke with the chain through my nipple rings to hold the bags over my waistline." Why in the name of Christ in a shoe box would somebody bejewel those horrendous mammies and allow a camera withing 5 miles? To make them more attractive? (though the cheerleading skirt is totally hot)

Most offensive though, MW -- slamming the Red Sox? Bad form, that.

Breast feeding Nazi from La Leche? Some of those fuckers advocate breast feeding beyond the age of 4. When you see a 13 yo kid suckling, that's just wrong in a highly incestual way.

"Nazi"? So mothers who advocate breast feeding and Final Solution nimrods who surrendered by the thousands to my pop's unit in WWII are somehow now able to have interchangeable labels?

If someone wants to breast feed their kid till whenever, how is that any of our business? If you're not going to be an anarchist, at least let your inner Libertarian out for a hydrant-piss now and then, eh?

As for the woman in the photo - used up? "Hey - I tuck my tits into my socks when I'm not wearing that oxen yoke with the chain through my nipple rings to hold the bags over my waistline." Why in the name of Christ in a shoe box would somebody bejewel those horrendous mammies and allow a camera withing 5 miles? To make them more attractive? (though the cheerleading skirt is totally hot)

Hmmm ....

nicholsonDM0302_468x436.jpg

Most offensive though, MW -- slamming the Red Sox? Bad form, that.

Bad form? I guess Redviking should have thought of that before he disrespected my wife. Is his wife so beautiful that he feels he can insult my wife? If he said that to her face I wouldn't have to do a thing to him, within 30 seconds he would crawl out of the room wishing he was attacked by just a grizzly bear.

If there are any non-Redviking Boston fans on this thread, my apologies. Much love, 18-1.

Cover it up!

saggy_boobs.jpg

Thanks, but I think you're not the first to photoshop that pic. Look at the neck line.

809-003.jpg

I know it's tough for any true sailor to defend weeds growing in someone's dock lines ... it's reasonable to assume that when someone is on extended sail that they would shift them around every few months to prevent decay. But anyone who has been on an extended insertion knows how the human mind tends to reach for companionship. The prisoner in his cell makes friends with the cockroaches, the sniper with the snails, the field journo with the pigeon on his window.

He's on that boat, and notices that a living organism -- of a sort -- has joined him. Seriously, would any of us be so confident that we would rip the plant out by its roots, or is it possible we would take some solace that it's living and breathing and just let it be for a while?

I knew a hardened operative that cried like a toddler when the mouse he was trying to release from a glue-trap died in his hands after being overpowered by the fumes from the mineral spirits.

809-003.jpg

I know it's tough for any true sailor to defend weeds growing in someone's dock lines ... it's reasonable to assume that when someone is on extended sail that they would shift them around every few months to prevent decay. But anyone who has been on an extended insertion knows how the human mind tends to reach for companionship. The prisoner in his cell makes friends with the cockroaches, the sniper with the snails, the field journo with the pigeon on his window.

He's on that boat, and notices that a living organism -- of a sort -- has joined him. Seriously, would any of us be so confident that we would rip the plant out by its roots, or is it possible we would take some solace that it's living and breathing and just let it be for a while?

I knew a hardened operative that cried like a toddler when the mouse he was trying to release from a glue-trap died in his hands after being overpowered by the fumes from the mineral spirits.

ya see cliff, the problem here is weid has undertaken a projected 1000 day voyage without any planned port of call. why in all that is hovian would he need fucking dock lines on deck? i can understand not taking them in now, under 200 days or something left. hell, i'm sure someone will step up with new lines at the heros' welcome.

ya see cliff, the problem here is weid has undertaken a projected 1000 day voyage without any planned port of call. why in all that is hovian would he need fucking dock lines on deck? i can understand not taking them in now, under 200 days or something left. hell, i'm sure someone will step up with new lines at the heros' welcome.

You see, it's just par for the course. That's the kind of sailor he is. The dock lines were on the deck, they didn't get in the way of his yoga platform, he had other more pressing things to handle -- like making artwork -- than putting away his dock lines. He could argue that leaving them on deck is a safety hazard, one more thing to trip on or get tossed around, or perhaps a safety feature, one more thing to grab onto in a storm. But clearly he had to recoil them at some point after turning over a few months ago, unless they were so crusty that they were glued to the deck.

So yeah, he's that kind of sailor, the kind that just does whatever he must to keep his boat going. So what? I'm that way with my motorcycles, so I kind of understand the nature of the beast. The only way I'll tighten that chain is once it's so loose that the durn thing gets jammed between the swingarm and the rear sprocket and nearly throws me ... then I'll tighten it. I won't lubricate a cable ever, I'll just let them rust to the breaking point and then replace them when necessary. Once my throttle cable broke about a hundred miles from home and I did a field repair with a screw I found on the side of the highway and a piece of a branch.

My electric start died ages ago but my bike has a kick start so I've been kicking it ever since.

But don't confuse my lack of proper motorcycle maintenance with lack of riding ability. If anything, decaying machinery just adds another layer of complexity to the challenge. You know, it's one thing to do a vertical jacknife while gunning the throttle and to escape a suicide squeeze between a bread truck and an MTA bus, but it's something else to do that in the cold when the return throttle cable has been broken for the past two years and the front shocks are hemorrhaging oil.

In contrast, I know riders that maintain their bikes beautifully, and wouldn't even pull it out of their garage without running through a checklist worthy of a Cessna 152. Some are excellent riders, most aren't. The problem is that you can never become a truly great rider when you only ride on perfectly-maintained machines, because innevitably, everytime, all the time, something is going to break/jam/snap and when it does you need to have experience with how to handle it without going into a corner and coming out dead.

Is this the same for sailing? Maybe, it's not that different from anything else. I don't know the whole story with Reid hitting the freighter ... did he have up his out-of-command balls, was he flying radar reflectors? Was the freighter captain napping? I don't know any of these things. But he had a collision and managed to keep going.

Did he pay his child support? Did he scam a hundred dudes? Is he smuggling ganja? Write what you will, but he rerigged his foredeck with improvised stuff. That's not something someone picks up at the Sunday yacht race.

In fact, in the days before internet and telegraph lines, smuggling contraband, having women and children in every port, pokering a hundred dudes, patching well-worn sails and cutting a mangled bowsprit are the things that DEFINED a great sailor. Maybe Reid's main crime to the denizens of this SA thread are that he's too rough for the genteel tastes of 21st Century digital sailors. (He just manages to wrap his inner Bluto in the cushy softness of New Age philosophy and bean sprouts.)

In fact, in the days before internet and telegraph lines, smuggling contraband, having women and children in every port, pokering a hundred dudes, patching well-worn sails and cutting a mangled bowsprit are the things that DEFINED a great sailor. Maybe Reid's main crime to the denizens of this SA thread are that he's too rough for the genteel tastes of 21st Century digital sailors. (He just manages to wrap his inner Bluto in the cushy softness of New Age philosophy and bean sprouts.)

you really shouldn't believe all those romantic books and Pirates of the Carribean movies Mike, really :rolleyes:

a snapped off shoot stuffed into a convenient pile of salty rope... Weidy must have laboured over that idea for days. What can I photograph next to stir up some interest amongst tree huggers and earth mothers ? (i cant photograph the drywall screws holding the hatch cover over the propane bottles, because if I show that, they will realise I have been dumping rubbish non stop.... ) I cant photograph down below because they will see all the MOLD growing all over the inside of the boat... dilemma dilemma..... ah bugger it, ity must be nap time again, R will think of something....

You see, it's just par for the course. That's the kind of sailor he is. The dock lines were on the deck, they didn't get in the way of his yoga platform, he had other more pressing things to handle -- like making artwork -- than putting away his dock lines. He could argue that leaving them on deck is a safety hazard, one more thing to trip on or get tossed around, or perhaps a safety feature, one more thing to grab onto in a storm. But clearly he had to recoil them at some point after turning over a few months ago, unless they were so crusty that they were glued to the deck.

So yeah, he's that kind of sailor, the kind that just does whatever he must to keep his boat going. So what? I'm that way with my motorcycles, so I kind of understand the nature of the beast. The only way I'll tighten that chain is once it's so loose that the durn thing gets jammed between the swingarm and the rear sprocket and nearly throws me ... then I'll tighten it. I won't lubricate a cable ever, I'll just let them rust to the breaking point and then replace them when necessary. Once my throttle cable broke about a hundred miles from home and I did a field repair with a screw I found on the side of the highway and a piece of a branch.

My electric start died ages ago but my bike has a kick start so I've been kicking it ever since.

But don't confuse my lack of proper motorcycle maintenance with lack of riding ability. If anything, decaying machinery just adds another layer of complexity to the challenge. You know, it's one thing to do a vertical jacknife while gunning the throttle and to escape a suicide squeeze between a bread truck and an MTA bus, but it's something else to do that in the cold when the return throttle cable has been broken for the past two years and the front shocks are hemorrhaging oil.

In contrast, I know riders that maintain their bikes beautifully, and wouldn't even pull it out of their garage without running through a checklist worthy of a Cessna 152. Some are excellent riders, most aren't. The problem is that you can never become a truly great rider when you only ride on perfectly-maintained machines, because innevitably, everytime, all the time, something is going to break/jam/snap and when it does you need to have experience with how to handle it without going into a corner and coming out dead.

Is this the same for sailing? Maybe, it's not that different from anything else. I don't know the whole story with Reid hitting the freighter ... did he have up his out-of-command balls, was he flying radar reflectors? Was the freighter captain napping? I don't know any of these things. But he had a collision and managed to keep going.

Did he pay his child support? Did he scam a hundred dudes? Is he smuggling ganja? Write what you will, but he rerigged his foredeck with improvised stuff. That's not something someone picks up at the Sunday yacht race.

2:37 A.M. post. Are you stoned, or just naturally delusional?. First, the people that maintain their equipment well understand how it is put together and how to repair it. Because they spend a lot more time doing it than the guy that only does it when forced to. Not with african engineering and what ever is on hand on the side of the road, with the actual parts designed for that application and tools that actually work. It is why well prepared sailors embarking on a long voyage thoroughly inspect their vessels BEFORE leaving, and R&R anything that is suspect, because they understand that things that are properly maintained fail a lot less than things that are neglected, and it is a lot easier to repair something at the dock than several hundred miles offshore. And why they carry spares for key equipment, and the tools to effect repairs if needed. Lack of preparation doesn't make you good, Mike. It means you are lazy and potentially can cost you your life, and the lives of others. Good sailors realize that never having to get to the point of patching twenty five year old sails that have been left in the sun and cutting away mangled equipment is a far better sign of seamanship.

Your and Stowe's bizare romatic notions of sailors past are ludicrous. Preparation is and always has been part of good seamanship, along with the knowledge, ability and parts to effect repairs when problems occur.

:rolleyes: Now after the wooers had put from them the desire of food and drink, their hearts turned to other things, to song and to dance; for these things are the crown

of a feast. And a herald put the beautiful lyre in the hands of Phemius, who sang perforce among the wooers; [155] and he struck the chords in prelude2 to his

sweet lay. But Telemachus spoke to flashing-eyed Athena, holding his head close, that the others might not hear: “Dear stranger, wilt thou be wroth with me for

the word that I shall say? These men care for things like these, the lyre and song, [160] full easily, seeing that without atonement they devour the livelihood of

another, of a man whose white bones, it may be, rot in the rain as they lie upon the mainland, or the wave rolls them in the sea. Were they to see him returned

to Ithaca, they would all pray to be swifter of foot, [165] rather than richer in gold and in raiment. But now he has thus perished by an evil doom, nor for us is

there any comfort, no, not though any one of men upon the earth should say that he will come; gone is the day of his returning. But come, tell me this, and

declare it truly. [170] Who art thou among men, and from whence? Where is thy city and where thy parents? On what manner of ship didst thou come, and how

did sailors bring thee to Ithaca? Who did they declare themselves to be? For nowise, methinks, didst thou come hither on foot. And tell me this also truly, that I

may know full well, [175] whether this is thy first coming hither, or whether thou art indeed a friend of my father's house. For many were the men who came to

our house as strangers, since he, too, had gone to and fro3 among men.”

Monday Morning Snap Quiz for ten points: who is the poet speaking of in present times?

:rolleyes:

809-003.jpg

There are apparently no limits to what the self delusional mind can justify...

Quick hi-jack but fuck I miss Zhik from the top of the page!

I guess she should have quit while she was ahead...................

SAbanner.jpg