Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

The facts are that Reid is one popular dude. This thread has been on the first page of SA for about 840 days now, ok maybe it fell to the second page 3 times and only for a brief moment. It's really captivating us all. I've watched it closely since the begining. I wasn't sure at first but the guy seems to have what it takes. Even if a lot of you don't think so. He's made it this far and I'm rooting for him hard now. I really hope he finishes all the way to 1000 days, maybe even throw an extra week in there for good measure. :lol: I hope he makes a lot of money from this.

Because of Reid this thread was born. It's the cast of characters that keep this thread going.

This thread has taken on a life of it's own and Reid is our bouffon.

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

bufoon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouffon

Thanks for the cite, but; "I'll take clowns for a thousand, Alex!"

"The difference between the clown and the bouffon is that while the clown is alone, the bouffon is part of a gang; while we make fun of the clown, the bouffon makes fun of us. At the heart of the bouffon is mockery pushed to the point of parody."

Had the clown maintained his roller furler, he wouldn't have to do this.

834-007.jpg

Day 834 - August 4, 2009

Wind S 15 knots, Course WSW, Speed 3 knots, Position 4*30n by 19*37w

Hanks on Roller Jib

A roller furling sail does not have a strong rope sewn into its leading edge, the luff. The first thing I had to do to modify my roller furling to a classic jib was sew a 65-foot length of braided rope into the leading edge, then encase it in sailcloth. I am in the process of doing that and hammering in grommets as I go.

To get enough hanks for the job, I stripped a very old jib that I never used on this voyage because I didn't trust it. Its old fashioned hanks are much thicker and sturdier than modern ones. With so much constant rubbing of the bronze hanks on the steel headstays, they wear out, so I wrap them with stainless wire and that protects them. It is a long process, but luckily the old patched jib we are using is pulling away like a tireless workhorse.

I inspect the sails through the night and day because if they do tear, I want to catch them before the tear gets too big. I am not looking forward to more big sail repairs, but I am ready and resolved to do what I have to. All the sails are old, so I have to make sure I always have a backup ready to go.

It has been so windy, that I have not raised the foresail since I repaired it. The foresails are the most important, because the three of them got me through the heavy weather this far. All three had major blowouts and two have been repaired. They are key sails for running down wind and heaving-to.

The two mainsails are more worn out, but repaired and have held up surprisingly well. When it is too stormy now, I heave-to with the main in and the staysail back-winded. There has been a lot of salt spray coming over the deck and when I have to go out I wear a bathing suit and take a fresh rinse when I come in.

I am satisfied with our position and overall, I feel very lucky. I keep a close eye on the bilge after my accident with the stuffing box. After I put new stuffing in and tighten the fitting down, the bilge has remained dry. I have doublechecked the two bilge alarms and they are working fine.

All's well out of sight of land.

bufoon

"The difference between the clown and the bouffon is that while the clown is alone, the bouffon is part of a gang; while we make fun of the clown, the bouffon makes fun of us. At the heart of the bouffon is mockery pushed to the point of parody."

"Bouffons belong to the realm of madness."

From the same link you quoted and what I believed to be the definition of a 'bouffon'. After reading the entire definition, Reid is not deserving enough to be referred to as a bouffon and I stand corrected.

Reid is retarded, you got to give him that. YOU CAN DO IT REID!!!

Fixed it for you.

Any of you blokes up for a 3 year sailing trip without stopping, fathering a son on the way, and singlehanding a seventy foot self made schooner in the process of doing at least one circumnavigation? Or are ye all sit at home and complain types?

Inspiring stuff, I'm going to ferrosprout me a sailing contraption, tell some stories about doing research to scam funding, dump the wife, grab a young babe, and head out on my own driftathon right away. I think I'll bring more sails than Reid brought.

Inspiring stuff, I'm going to ferrosprout me a sailing contraption, tell some stories about doing research to scam funding, dump the wife, grab a young babe, and head out on my own driftathon right away. I think I'll bring more sails than Reid brought.

Also, use sail covers.

Any of you blokes up for a 3 year sailing trip without stopping, fathering a son on the way, and singlehanding a seventy foot self made schooner in the process of doing at least one circumnavigation? Or are ye all sit at home and complain types?

Why? What on earth do you find so courageous or admirable? Please tell us.

He fathered a child and then elected to not to involve himself (nurturing AND the WORK) in Darshen's all-important first years. He hasn't seen any of the multitude of glorious sights along the way of that circumnavigation ~ just water and his rainbows and moonbeams. What a waste of three years in a futile chase for fame and glory ~ because quite obviously, the WHOLE WORLD doesn't find it "important" as he says we should. Normal people see it for what it is, RW ~ one guy's obsession, but nothing so marvelous as you believe and want to sell.

That schooner was made by a very large group of family and friends, not Weed alone, as you imply. And just how did a 27-yr old unemployed guy that had been hanging around the Caribbean manage to come up with the bucks to buy 70 ft worth of steel and ferro-cement, and the engine, electrical, sails, rigging, gear etc etc etc? There are people that would tell the WHOLE story if it wouldn't possibly harm Iris. I see nothing to applaud here.

Also, use sail covers.

And a sewing machine. And an AIS receiver. And.....

bufoon

"The difference between the clown and the bouffon is that while the clown is alone, the bouffon is part of a gang;

So what you are saying is that multiple clowns can drive in one tiny car, yet the same car only holds one bouffon?

Also, use sail covers.

and bring a sewing machine. edit: Barleymalt beat me to it.

So he spoke, and the dear nurse, Eurycleia, uttered a shrill cry, and weeping spoke to him winged words:“Ah, dear child, how has this thought come into thy

mind? Whither art thou minded to go over the wide earth, [365] thou who art an only son and well-beloved? But he hath perished far from his country, the Zeus-

born Odysseus, in a strange land; and these men, so soon as thou art gone, will devise evil for thee hereafter, that thou mayest perish by guile, and

themselves divide all these possessions. Nay, abide here in charge of what is thine; thou hast no need [370] to suffer ills and go a wanderer over the unresting

sea.” Then wise Telemachus answered her: “Take heart, nurse, for not without a god's warrant is this my plan. But swear to tell naught of this to my dear

mother until the eleventh or twelfth day shall come, [375] or until she shall herself miss me and hear that I am gone, that she may not mar her fair flesh with

weeping.” So he spoke, and the old woman swore a great oath by the gods to say naught. But when she had sworn and made an end of the oath, straightway

she drew for him wine in jars, [380] and poured barley meal into well-sewn skins; and Telemachus went to the hall and joined the company of the wooers. Then

the goddess, flashing-eyed Athena, took other counsel. In the likeness of Telemachus she went everywhere throughout the city, and to each of the men she

drew near and spoke her word, [385] bidding them gather at even beside the swift ship. Furthermore, of Noemon, the glorious son of Phronius, she asked a

swift ship, and he promised it to her with a ready heart.

Is it me or is Telly taking a long time to get out of Dodge? <_<

As opposed to sitting at sea complaining about lack of donor money, sponsors not stepping up, sore hands, etc?

Reid is resourceful, you got to give him that. YOU CAN DO IT REID!!!

why not Salty, he's had everything else given to him.

reidsourceful- to acquire ones needs without expending ones own energy.

reidsourceful- to acquire ones needs without expending ones own energy.

Allow me to elucidate if you will.

Yeah, you guys have it 100% correct. Especially in fact in the last 900 days or so it's been his sponsors and friends doing all the work to keep him afloat and sailing. Drifting you say? That too has only been as a result of paypal contribs keeping the wind and currents moving through the pay to play devotional wind prayer circle meetings, another terrible misuse of others to fund his ego. He has been very Reidsourceful all along. Only the denizens of this deep, deep thread could have made an entirely new language inspired by their overwhelming love/hate obsession.

Reidsourceful: to acquire with the minimally necessary expenditure of energy or funds. A green eco-saving concept for the new millenium. Millenium, that's a thousand years. Maybe, after they successfully complete work on a faster than light speed through the black holes of gravity collapsed dead stars interplanetary drive, Reid'll successfully embark on his next journey.

Couple Cruise Space for A Thousand Years.

And you think this thread is too long and a waste of time.

I can just hear Regatta Mutt muttering in his dotage already.

The new Reid's English dictionary of non-nautical spacey and spiritual terms will be by then on sale for all kinda kindles to be reided on future shorter space hops.

Can't imagine what Sto lat will be posting on that one. The entire wikipedia page by page? Whoootf cares.

I am satisfied with our position and overall, I feel very lucky. I keep a close eye on the bilge after my accident with the stuffing box. After I put new stuffing in and tighten the fitting down, the bilge has remained dry. I have doublechecked the two bilge alarms and they are working fine.

All Reidisms aside, I think that's something on which all cruisers can find some common ground ... ^%$&* STUFFING BOX!!

Other than alcohol poisoning, assorted through-hulls and paternity, I can't think of anything that will keep a cruiser worried into sleeplessness.

Clearly, we could make a cruiser that requires neither through-hulls nor stuffing box, why has nobody stepped up yet?

All Reidisms aside, I think that's something on which all cruisers can find some common ground ... ^%{:content:}amp;* STUFFING BOX!!

Other than alcohol poisoning, assorted through-hulls and paternity, I can't think of anything that will keep a cruiser worried into sleeplessness.

Clearly, we could make a cruiser that requires neither through-hulls nor stuffing box, why has nobody stepped up yet?

Brilliant, and good on ya Mike!

In the morning I'll drop 2 of my sigs and add that one.

Hat's on the way.

Hat's on the way.

WTF??? Wofsey won?????????????

Did you even read my entry?????????????

Hat's on the way.

Your entry? I don't read anything you write, except when it appears in the local paper about Real Estate transactions or "The Police Beat". Nice spending the evening with you and your parole officer tonight. Can't believe you pulled community service on a yacht club mark boat.

Have you seen my phone? Call me if you have it.........wait........that probably won't..... work......nope. Drive it over. Call me when you're on your way...........uhhh.............hmm.........

Light your town on fire at 9:00 AM if you don't have it. If you do - send it over with the Booze Barge's first delivery to the cove.

North bids 3 Spades -

RD

Okay, sounds like great work if you can get it!!

peter-roth-4.h300.jpg

My life has been a journey with many turns. For much of it, I didn’t notice the one constant that seemed to entwine other interests; a desire to know how to help people reduce their confusions, inadequacy and pain.

I work intuitively to analyze the many energies that emanate, not only from bodies, but from the deeper part of the soul. This is where I find the master computer that reveals the inner patterns of imbalance one is challenged by.

Now the sun set and all the ways grew dark. Then she drew the swift ship to the sea and [390] put in it all the gear that well-benched ships carry. And she

moored it at the mouth of the harbor, and round about it the goodly company was gathered together, and the goddess heartened each man. Then again the

goddess, flashing-eyed Athena, took other counsel. She went her way to the house of divine Odysseus, [395] and there began to shed sweet sleep upon the

wooers and made them to wander in their drinking, and from their hands she cast the cups. But they rose to go to their rest throughout the city, and remained

no long time seated, for sleep was falling upon their eyelids. But to Telemachus spoke flashing-eyed Athena, [400] calling him forth before the stately hall,

having likened herself to Mentor both in form and in voice: “Telemachus, already thy well-greaved comrades sit at the oar and await thy setting out. Come, let

us go, that we may not long delay their journey.” [405] So saying, Pallas Athena led the way quickly, and he followed in the footsteps of the goddess. Now when

they had come down to the ship and to the sea, they found on the shore their long-haired comrades, and the strong and mighty1 Telemachus spoke among

them: [410] “Come, friends, let us fetch the stores, for all are now gathered together in the hall. My mother knows naught hereof, nor the handmaids either:

one only heard my word.” Thus saying, he led the way, and they went along with him. So they brought and [415] stowed everything in the well-benched ship,

as the dear son of Odysseus bade. Then on board the ship stepped Telemachus, and Athena went before him and sat down in the stern of the ship, and near

her sat Telemachus, while the men loosed the stern cables and themselves stepped on board, and sat down upon the benches. [420] And flashing-eyed Athena

sent them a favorable wind, a strong-blowing West wind that sang over the wine-dark sea. And Telemachus called to his men, and bade them lay hold of the

tackling, and they hearkened to his call. The mast of fir [425] they raised and set in the hollow socket, and made it fast with fore-stays, and hauled up the white

sail with twisted thongs of ox-hide. So the wind filled the belly of the sail, and the dark wave sang loudly about the stem of the ship as she went, and she sped

over the wave accomplishing her way. [430] Then, when they had made the tackling fast in the swift black ship, they set forth bowls brim full of wine, and

poured libations to the immortal gods that are forever, and chiefest of all to the flashing-eyed daughter of Zeus. So all night long and through the dawn the ship

cleft her way.

:P Thus ends book 2 with Telly headed for the greek main land. From Wiki:

The Odyssey begins in medias res, meaning that the plot begins in the middle of the overall story, and that prior events are described through flashbacks or storytelling. This device is imitated by later authors of literary epics, for example, Virgil in the Aeneid, as well as modern poets such as Alexander Pope in The Rape of the Lock

the first four books, focusing on Telemachus, are commonly known as the Telemachy;

I know we all cannot wait until Odysseus' narrative, Book 9, featuring his encounter with the cyclops Polyphemus,traditionally called the Cyclopeia :lol:

peter-roth-4.h300.jpg

My life has been a journey with many turns. For much of it, I didn’t notice the one constant that seemed to entwine other interests; a desire to know how to help people reduce their confusions, inadequacy and pain.

I work intuitively to analyze the many energies that emanate, not only from bodies, but from the deeper part of the soul. This is where I find the master computer that reveals the inner patterns of imbalance one is challenged by.

NTRTISFS

RD, please send Mr. Roth a hat.

peter-roth-4.h300.jpg

My life has been a journey with many turns. For much of it, I didn't notice the one constant that seemed to entwine other interests; a desire to know how to help people reduce their confusions, inadequacy and pain.

NTRTISFS

RD, please send Mr. Roth a hat.

I'm pulling the embroidered stitching out of a Mount Gay regatta hat and will have it re-embroidered with "1000 Days at Sea - Mars Ocean Odyssey".

:P Thus ends book 2 with Telly headed for the greek main land. From Wiki:

The Odyssey begins in medias res, meaning that the plot begins in the middle of the overall story, and that prior events are described through flashbacks or storytelling. This device is imitated by later authors of literary epics, for example, Virgil in the Aeneid, as well as modern poets such as Alexander Pope in The Rape of the Lock

the first four books, focusing on Telemachus, are commonly known as the Telemachy;

I know we all cannot wait until Odysseus' narrative, Book 9, featuring his encounter with the cyclops Polyphemus,traditionally called the Cyclopeia :lol:

not to mention Scylla and Charybdis ... riveting, bring it on !!!

bump

834-007.jpg

With so much constant rubbing of the bronze hanks on the steel headstays, they wear out, so I wrap them with stainless wire and that protects them...

:blink: So it's preferable to wear through the practically irreplaceable headstay as opposed to the easily replaceable hanks.

Got it.

836-006.jpg

Day 836 - August 6, 2009

Wind S 15 knots, Course ESE, Speed 3 knots, Position 3*47n by 19*07w

Frigate Moon

The sun set into a heavy overcast night, but the hidden full moon lit the grey way. After dinner cleanup, I sat outside as usual. I noticed that the clouds had lifted and there was now hope of seeing the moon.

Suddenly the moon showed clear and bright through a crack in the clouds. I stared intensely at it, saying my prayers, trying to take advantage of a lucky moment with the moon. The crack widened and I came out of my deep prayer reverie to see that the clouds were dissolving fast before my eyes.

Extraordinarily, within a few moments the sky was clear! I couldn't believe how fast it happened. Still looking at the moon, at that moment a prehistoric looking frigate bird glided across the full moon. In a split second my mind took a photograph of him that remained etched in my memory as if it were an archetypal image that was already in me, but I had not seen it before in my lifetime.

The moment the frigate bird passed the moon he disappeared into the dark sky. He was up so high. Higher than they fly in the day, but frigate birds are the highest flying ocean birds I have ever seen. I searched the sky and could not find him. It was the first one I have seen in months and he flew out of the moon.

In my excitement, I stood in the moonlight naked in the windy night wishing I could share this experience with everyone. Even if a person can't go to sea, if they could stand naked in the wind in the full moon, on the edge of a precipice, in thankfulness, in prayer and appreciation of existence and creation, then they would be filled with joy and awe to last a lifetime.

I balanced; the masts and sails waved in the sky. The schooner leapt over each wave and dipped and heeled in the hollows. There next to us a tuna school flipped vigorously to keep up with us. There was no phosphorescence on this night, but the water was clear and the moon was bright.

When tuna swim, part of the time they tilt over to one side. This is when the sun or the moon flashes on their silver sides. This night, silver bullets pulsated next to us. Their speed varies, they burst ahead and then coast.

In the morning, I looked out, I saw the frigate bird! It had to be him: He was the only bird in the sky.

[1] And now the sun, leaving the beauteous mere, sprang up into the brazen heaven to give light to the immortals and to mortal men on the earth, the giver

of grain; and they came to Pylos, the well-built citadel of Neleus. [5] Here the townsfolk on the shore of the sea were offering sacrifice of black bulls to the dark-

haired Earth-shaker. Nine companies there were, and five hundred men sat in each, and in each they held nine bulls ready for sacrifice. Now when they had

tasted the inner parts and were burning the thigh-pieces to the god, [10] the others put straight in to the shore, and hauled up and furled the sail of the shapely

ship, and moored her, and themselves stepped forth. Forth too from the ship stepped Telemachus, and Athena led the way. And the goddess, flashing-eyed

Athena, spake first to him, and said: “Telemachus, no longer hast thou need to feel shame, no, not a whit. [15] For to this end hast thou sailed over the sea,

that thou mightest seek tidings of thy father,--where the earth covered him, and what fate he met. But come now, go straightway to Nestor, tamer of horses; let

us learn what counsel he keepeth hid in his breast. And do thou beseech him thyself that he may tell thee the very truth. [20] A lie will he not utter, for he is

wise indeed.” Then wise Telemachus answered her: “Mentor, how shall I go, and how shall I greet him? I am as yet all unversed in subtle speech, and

moreover a young man has shame to question an elder.” [25] Then the goddess, flashing-eyed Athena, answered him: “Telemachus, somewhat thou wilt of

thyself devise in thy breast, and somewhat heaven too will prompt thee. For, methinks, not without the favour of the gods hast thou been born and reared.” So

spake Pallas Athena, and led the way [30] quickly; but he followed in the footsteps of the goddess; and they came to the gathering and the companies of the

men of Pylos. There Nestor sat with his sons, and round about his people, making ready the feast, were roasting some of the meat and putting other pieces on

spits. But when they saw the strangers they all came thronging about them, [35] and clasped their hands in welcome, and bade them sit down. First Nestor's

son Peisistratus came near and took both by the hand, and made them to sit down at the feast on soft fleeces upon the sand of the sea, beside his brother

Thrasymedes and his father. [40] Thereupon he gave them portions of the inner meat and poured wine in a golden cup, and, pledging her, he spoke to Pallas

Athena, daughter of Zeus who bears the aegis: “Pray now, stranger, to the lord Poseidon, for his is the feast whereon you have chanced in coming hither. [45]

And when thou hast poured libations and hast prayed, as is fitting, then give thy friend also the cup of honey-sweet wine that he may pour, since he too, I

ween, prays to the immortals; for all men have need of the gods. Howbeit he is the younger, of like age with myself, [50] wherefore to thee first will I give the

golden cup.”

Speed 3 knots, Position 3*47n by 19*07w

Frigate Moon

In my excitement, I stood in the moonlight naked in the windy night wishing I could share this experience with everyone. Even if a person can't go to sea, if they could stand naked in the wind in the full moon, on the edge of a precipice, in thankfulness, in prayer and appreciation of existence and creation, then they would be filled with joy and awe my spunk to last a lifetime.

I balanced; the masts and sails waved in the sky. The schooner leapt over each wave and dipped and heeled in the hollows. There next to us a tuna school flipped vigorously to keep up with us. There was no phosphorescence on this night, but the water was clear and the moon was bright.

must have been slo-mo tuna's ;)

"There are many different types of tuna, the most common and fascinating are the blue fin and yellow fin. Both reaches weight over 500 lbs. The tuna's body is built for speed and maneuverability. When moving at their average speed of 10 mph the tuna's forward dorsal, ventral and pectoral fins extend outward, helping the fish in making precise maneuvers. When the fish is at it's top speed of 60 to 80 kmph all it's forward fins fold into slots and two rows of stabilizing finlets will be utilized. The tuna's sleek body resembles a missile which contributes to it's ability to reach such high speeds."

836-006.jpg

Day 836 - August 6, 2009

Wind S 15 knots, Course ESE, Speed 3 knots, Position 3*47n by 19*07w

Frigate Moon

The sun set into a heavy overcast night, but the hidden full moon lit the grey way. After dinner cleanup, I sat outside as usual. I noticed that the clouds had lifted and there was now hope of seeing the moon.

Suddenly the moon showed clear and bright through a crack in the clouds. I stared intensely at it, saying my prayers, trying to take advantage of a lucky moment with the moon. The crack widened and I came out of my deep prayer reverie to see that the clouds were dissolving fast before my eyes.

Extraordinarily, within a few moments the sky was clear! I couldn't believe how fast it happened. Still looking at the moon, at that moment a prehistoric looking frigate bird glided across the full moon. In a split second my mind took a photograph of him that remained etched in my memory as if it were an archetypal image that was already in me, but I had not seen it before in my lifetime.

The moment the frigate bird passed the moon he disappeared into the dark sky. He was up so high. Higher than they fly in the day, but frigate birds are the highest flying ocean birds I have ever seen. I searched the sky and could not find him. It was the first one I have seen in months and he flew out of the moon.

In my excitement, I stood in the moonlight naked in the windy night wishing I could share this experience with everyone. Even if a person can't go to sea, if they could stand naked in the wind in the full moon, on the edge of a precipice, in thankfulness, in prayer and appreciation of existence and creation, then they would be filled with joy and awe to last a lifetime.

When tuna swim, part of the time they tilt over to one side. This is when the sun or the moon flashes on their silver sides. This night, silver bullets pulsated next to us. Their speed varies, they burst ahead and then coast.

In the morning, I looked out, I saw the frigate bird! It had to be him: He was the only bird in the sky.

I'm sending out invites for a Full Moon, Clothing Optional Cookout next month (A-K bring an appetizer, L-Z bring a dessert). I can't offer the edge of a precipice, but there's a spot next to the neighbor's fence that's pretty darned inspirational when there's no standing water. We can all hold hands and look at the moon while the neighbor's looking at our moons, and we'll be filled with joy and awe to last at least through the end of the evening.

How does a 70' schooner leap over anything at 3 knots? Seems at that speed it would be more like "struggling" or perhaps "trudging" over each wave.

As Barbican Boy so aptly posted last week ---

The-Batless-Bat-Signal-Is-For-Sale-2.jpg

Just when I was feeling sympathetic for Soanya she reappears extolling her record setting sail by a women without resupply blah blah blah.

I think of all the incredible women sailors out there doing amazing things and our little Sprout Princess claws for and craves media attention for doing absolutely nothing notable. Developed a sense of self importance rivalling Weedo's.

Just when I was feeling sympathetic for Soanya she reappears extolling her record setting sail by a women without resupply blah blah blah.

I think of all the incredible women sailors out there doing amazing things and our little Sprout Princess claws for and craves media attention for doing absolutely nothing notable. Developed a sense of self importance rivalling Weedo's.

just think of how bland this world would be if we didnt have the terminally stupid to measure ourselves against and come out feeling good about life.

And then there are the hovians, who dont see the terminally stupid as anything different than themselves.

It is a waste of effort trying to debate with the terminally stupid aka hovians.

Much better to let themselves show how chronically ill informed and unabalanced their sense of normality really is, and then just laugh at their sense of grandiose.

And the best part is, its free.....

and tomorrow, they will still be stupid.

life is like a box of hovians.

838-006.jpg

Day 838 - August 8, 2009

Wind SSE, 12 knots, Course E, Speed 2 knots, Position 3*38n by 17*36

Prayer Magnified

When I changed the tense of my prayer to "We", I heard the chant along with me of many voices in a grand cathedral. This was so amazing that as I said the prayer I made the point to hear those voices. Then as I said the prayer I silenced my inner voice down, only to hear the other voices repeat the prayer. This is very difficult to do and my voice kept coming back into the prayer.

To help shut my voice down, I let the chorus be all the voices of women coming out of my deepest spaces. The addition of these other voices increased the magnitude of my prayer. I say it more and more often because it is intriguing. It is a mysterious new experience. I feel compelled to do it without reason, hopes or wishes, just for itself. I am drawn to it and doing it before I realize it. I am experiencing heart to heart connecting, communion with the divine.

As the prayer goes on, I step outside and sit on the table behind the wheel. The chant of the prayer rises from the depths and is the voice of the fish, the sea life and the sea itself. Then I realize I must change the prayer again, because all of God's creation is praying through me.

Where I once ended the prayer with "so that every move I make is for the betterment of humankind", I now end the prayer with, "so that every move I make is for the betterment of all creation". I was going to end it with "the universe", but I think there must be more that we do not know about. The prayer is magnified now. I feel it is possible to be in constant communion in everything I do: I must be a good example to everyone, so that people are inspired to follow their own sacred journeys.

We can cease to think we are fragments when we realize oneness and unity in Divine Love. In this way the prayer pilot navigates my love boat .

838-006.jpg

Day 838 - August 8, 2009

Prayer Magnified

I colored these pichurs using my own feces for the dark and light brown colors. Don't worry about the fact that I am ruining my charts; I can't read them anyway. I mean, it's just a bunch of lines and shapes on paper.

The voices in my head are getting louder now. The effects of my screwball faith-based nutrition are taking their toll. I find my body and mind deteriorating as I stumble along my sacred journey. I sure hope the prayer pilot navigates my love boat.

He's getting closer...

edit... Dunno whay Soanya and Darshend picture will not copy and paste???

I don't think that Soanya has a clue about writing a book. But, you would think that some smart aleck from MC might be able to hook her up with a ghost writer? Or perhaps not, since her story is really not terribly noteworthy.....??

soanya%20darshennc.jpg

It's been a while since I've last written an update and I'm sure many people are wondering what's been happening with me and Darshen. He just turned a year old and is speed crawling everywhere. He can stand on his own and will take his exciting first steps any day now. His favorite activities are to empty clothes drawers and pick up handfuls of dirt at the park. As you might imagine, I'm kept very busy taking care of him and the book I am trying to write has been going very slowly since I don't have entire hours of time to devote to it.

I just returned from a trip to North Carolina where Darshen and I met with what seemed like all of Reid's family, three sometimes four generations of relatives were present. They were all wonderfully nice people who had such fond memories of Reid growing up, building the boat and also as an adult. I even saw pictures of him and his siblings as children. Yes, there were one or two physical traits that Darshen clearly shared with his father's younger self!

It was a trip of many first for our son. Darshen had his first experience of the beach there, his first boat ride, and even got hands on with some of Reid's beautiful figurative paintings created over thirty years ago.

Now back in New York, the time is flying by quickly. With each passing week Darshen does something new and amazing and I am challenged to grow with him. Reid and I still communicate every day by email and he is in a good place right now. A place filled with beauty, magic, and hard work, the trademarks of a moment well lived. Before you know it, he will be back and we will be living those moments together.

********************************************************************************

ncdock.jpg

The Dock in North Carolina Sunday, 09 August 2009

Where the Schooner Anne was built and initially launched.

I don't think that Soanya has a clue about writing a book. But, you would think that some smart aleck from MC might be able to hook her up with a ghost writer? Or perhaps not, since her story is really not terribly noteworthy.....??

Some of the MC'ers fancy themselves as writers/editors so I'm sure they will aid in the effort to make months of viewing a cabin ceiling into a heroic and adventurous tale.

There is a lot of history here that I don't think you guys are giving Reid credit for. Listening to Soanya reminisce about the family and the pictures of the dock are intriguing thinking about the Schooner Anne being built there. Reid is loving life right now and his posting show it. Yeah, they're a little out there at times but Reid is on a different level. He is far removed from the distractions of our every day cyber lives. Reid, I'm rooting for you man. ;)

838-006.jpg

Day 838 - August 8, 2009

Prayer Magnified

I colored these pichurs using my own feces for the dark and light brown colors. Don't worry about the fact that I am ruining my charts; I can't read them anyway. I mean, it's just a bunch of lines and shapes on paper.

The voices in my head are getting louder now. The effects of my screwball faith-based nutrition are taking their toll. I find my body and mind deteriorating as I stumble along my sacred journey. I sure hope the prayer pilot navigates my love boat.

He's getting closer...

:lol::lol::lol:

There is a lot of history here that I don't think you guys are giving Reid credit for. Listening to Soanya reminisce about the family and the pictures of the dock are intriguing thinking about the Schooner Anne being built there. Reid is loving life right now and his posting show it. Yeah, they're a little out there at times but Reid is on a different level. He is far removed from the distractions of our every day cyber lives. Reid, I'm rooting for you man. ;)

Saltman, you have to come to Oz one day and repeat this statment in a public place. In Oz 'Rooting for you' means playing the beast with 2 backs!

You both can be 'on the same level' when you do this.

Salty - that was arguably the most intelligent paragraph you have ever written here. I am impressed. AND, did you just admit that "they're a little out there"?????? We used to think that about you as well... Are you back on your meds?

I'm rooting for Reid too. Trainwrecks are no fun without the aftermath, the NTSB investigation, lawsuits - Reid's homecoming will be way fun in a similar kinda way, has to, this stuff is a lot out there. Go Reid!

So he spake, and placed in her hand the cup of sweet wine. But Pallas Athena rejoiced at the man's wisdom and judgment, in that to her first he gave the

golden cup; and straightway she prayed earnestly to the lord Poseidon: [55] “Hear me, Poseidon, thou Earth-enfolder, and grudge not in answer to our prayer

to bring these deeds to fulfillment. To Nestor, first of all, and to his sons vouchsafe renown, and then do thou grant to the rest gracious requital for this glorious

hecatomb, even to all the men of Pylos; [60] and grant furthermore that Telemachus and I may return when we have accomplished all that for which we came

hither with our swift black ship.” Thus she prayed, and was herself fulfilling all. Then she gave Telemachus the fair two-handled1 cup, and in like manner the

dear son of Odysseus prayed. [65] Then when they had roasted the outer flesh and drawn it off the spits, they divided the portions and feasted a glorious feast.

But when they had put from them the desire of food and drink, the horseman, Nestor of Gerenia,2 spoke first among them: “Now verily is it seemlier to ask and

enquire [70] of the strangers who they are, since now they have had their joy of food. Strangers, who are ye? Whence do ye sail over the watery ways? Is it on

some business, or do ye wander at random over the sea, even as pirates, who wander hazarding their lives and bringing evil to men of other lands?” [75] Then

wise Telemachus took courage, and made answer, for Athena herself put courage in his heart, that he might ask about his father that was gone, and that good

report might be his among men: “Nestor, son of Neleus, great glory of the Achaeans, [80] thou askest whence we are, and I will surely tell thee. We have come

from Ithaca that is below Neion; but this business whereof I speak is mine own, and concerns not the people. I come after the wide-spread rumor of my father,

if haply I may hear of it, even of goodly Odysseus of the steadfast heart, who once, men say, [85] fought by thy side and sacked the city of the Trojans. For of

all men else, as many as warred with the Trojans, we learn where each man died a woeful death, but of him the son of Cronos has made even the death to be

past learning; for no man can tell surely where he hath died,-- [90] whether he was overcome by foes on the mainland, or on the deep among the waves of

Amphitrite. Therefore am I now come to thy knees, if perchance thou wilt be willing to tell me of his woeful death, whether thou sawest it haply with thine own

eyes, or didst hear from some other the story [95] of his wanderings;3 for beyond all men did his mother bear him to sorrow. And do thou nowise out of ruth or

pity for me speak soothing words, but tell me truly how thou didst come to behold him. I beseech thee, if ever my father, noble Odysseus, promised aught to

thee of word or deed and fulfilled it [100] in the land of the Trojans, where you Achaeans suffered woes, be mindful of it now, I pray thee, and tell me the very

truth.”

:( So would be better sailors if we remebered to honor Poseidon a little more often? Maybe if each time we sat around drinking we raised a cup "To Posi!"

Hat's on the way.

I didn't even enter and I get a hat! My luck is in the stratosphere ... I should have bought a lottery ticket when I was in Colorado.

What! I didn't win? No nip/nose ring? No SA insignia'ed manthong with the word credulity running up and down the thong thing? This is a very clear cut case of corruption in judging a contest. I may have to take legal action. Your very credibility is now in question. Clearly, my post as Reid in his 13,000th straight day at sea was far and beyond better than anyone else's puny paltry and downright embareassingly poorly written & oh so vain attempt to re-create the uniqueness of a reidable stowe posting from the deep bleu beyond.

I hereby vow to cancel my official membership card and status as a sailing anarchist, and resume thinking about universal free health care, Michale Mooooore, Cuba and Che on me own.

Ciao, Chow mad dogs and englishmums.

Special shout out to Mike Wolfiesay and Mr Slightlylesssalty both of whom deserves their props for showing up and taking the poop thrown squarely at em on a regular basis.

Hat's on the way.

I didn't even enter and I get a hat! My luck is in the stratosphere ... I should have bought a lottery ticket when I was in Colorado.

I was just catching up and thought, "hey, that Wofsey guy finally left". Not! Your Colorado privileges have been revoked, unless you are staying in Boulder. The PRoB is an animal sanctuary, so you are safe there. Hanging out with Ward Churchill?

Hat's on the way.

I was just catching up and thought, "hey, that Wofsey guy finally left". Not! Your Colorado privileges have been revoked, unless you are staying in Boulder. The PRoB is an animal sanctuary, so you are safe there. Hanging out with Ward Churchill?

FUCK OFF NEWB!!!!

geez that felt good.

What! I didn't win? ...This is a very clear cut case of corruption in judging a contest. I may have to take legal action.
Screw legal action. Takes too long. Costs too much. For this situation, Wag, you have to win hearts & minds. Think Al Pacino....Dog Day Afternoon....

3809098295_e77ba8b0e6_o.jpg

Hat's on the way.

FUCK OFF NEWB!!!!

geez that felt good.

Slowly coming over to the dark side, eh?

Nah, my Colorado privileges cannot be revoked. I was born in Denver, most of my kin is there and I've spread enough assorted fluids over the state (piss, vomit, two-stroke oil, sweat and transmission fluid) that I'm not sure the place would know how to function without regular tune-ups from my El Presidente.

Are you a fellow victim of the Mile-High sailing syndicate?

FUCK OFF NEWB!!!!

geez that felt good.

Blink. Blink, blink, blink!

Reading that was like suddenly finding out the dimly-lit exit sign above a little-used stairwell had spent years hiding a secret ability to rip out the intestines of anyone who passes beneath it.

What! I didn't win? No nip/nose ring? No SA insignia'ed manthong with the word credulity running up and down the thong thing? This is a very clear cut case of corruption in judging a contest. I may have to take legal action. Your very credibility is now in question. Clearly, my post as Reid in his 13,000th straight day at sea was far and beyond better than anyone else's puny paltry and downright embareassingly poorly written & oh so vain attempt to re-create the uniqueness of a reidable stowe posting from the deep bleu beyond.

I hereby vow to cancel my official membership card and status as a sailing anarchist, and resume thinking about universal free health care, Michale Mooooore, Cuba and Che on me own.

Special shout out to Mike Wolfiesay and Mr Slightlylesssalty both of whom deserves their props for showing up and taking the poop thrown squarely at em on a regular basis.

hope you're blowin' smoke rw, your posts are quite entertaining of late and i'm sure i won't be alone in missing future input.

Don't take it personally Wag, I think Dog had mentioned that he was sending out a hat to all those who entered. If you send me your mailing address I can send you some swag from Galaxy Gauge, maybe one of our 8-in-1 card knives ... they're very useful and surprisingly sharp, I cut the end of my thumb off with one while chopping carrots with one.

Hat's on the way.

FUCK OFF NEWB!!!!

geez that felt good.

you've got to give it to him, he really nailed it.GO SALTY!

Salty- it's soundin' too late for u to e'er go back to the fresh water. You have officially joined the dark side. And the Wolfiesay wants me to cut off me fingertips with ginsu substititties and salty's now in the habit o' telling folks to fuck off happily. Oh, how the innocent have fallen into the depths. Further depravity just around the corner if you remain. Beware all ye who entered here. If you think the dis-organized pro-Reid group is a cult from which there's no return, wait'll try to work yer way outta here w/o a 1,000 step program in the right directshun.

hope you're blowin' smoke rw, your posts are quite entertaining of late and i'm sure i won't be alone in missing future input.

Appreciate the kind words there shrimpy. Been trying to quit smoking. We'll see if I allow me lungs to operate back at full capacity, or continue the downward spiral. Like global warming, this thread's gotta end sometime.

Then the horseman, Nestor of Gerenia, answered him: “My friend, since thou hast recalled to my mind the sorrow which we endured in that land, we sons of the

Achaeans, unrestrained in daring,-- [105] all that we endured on shipboard, as we roamed after booty over the misty deep whithersoever Achilles led; and all

our fightings around the great city of king Priam;--lo, there all our best were slain. There lies warlike Aias, there Achilles, [110] there Patroclus, the peer of the

gods in counsel; and there my own dear son, strong alike and peerless, Antilochus, pre-eminent in speed of foot and as a warrior. Aye, and many other ills we

suffered besides these; who of mortal men could tell them all? [115] Nay, if for five years' space or six years' space thou wert to abide here, and ask of all the

woes which the goodly Achaeans endured there, thou wouldest grow weary ere the end and get thee back to thy native land. For nine years' space were we

busied plotting their ruin with all manner of wiles; and hardly did the son of Cronos bring it to pass. [120] There no man ventured to vie with him in counsel,

since goodly Odysseus far excelled in all manner of wiles,--thy father, if indeed thou art his son. Amazement holds me as I look on thee, for verily thy speech is

like his; nor would one think [125] that a younger man would speak so like him. Now all the time that we were there goodly Odysseus and I never spoke at

variance either in the assembly or in the council, but being of one mind advised the Argives with wisdom and shrewd counsel how all might be for the best.

[130] But when we had sacked the lofty city of Priam, and had gone away in our ships, and a god had scattered the Achaeans, then, even then, Zeus planned in

his heart a woeful return for the Argives, for in no wise prudent or just were all. Wherefore many of them met an evil fate [135] through the fell wrath of the

flashing-eyed goddess, the daughter of the mighty sire, for she caused strife between the two sons of Atreus. Now these two called to an assembly all the

Achaeans, recklessly and in no due order, at set of sun--and they came heavy with wine, the sons of the Achaeans,-- [140] and they spoke their word, and told

wherefore they had gathered the host together

Hat's on the way.

FUCK OFF NEWB!!!!

geez that felt good.

glad is was good for you too, I laughed my ass off when I read that.

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/">Darth Vader: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you.

[pauses]

Darth Vader: Salty, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to Sailing Anarchy.

Salty: I'll never join you!

Darth Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Reid never told you what happened to your father.

Salty: He told me enough! He told me *you* killed him!

Darth Vader: No. *I* am your father.

Salty: No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!

Darth Vader: Search your feelings, you *know* it to be true!

Salty: [anguished] No! No!

840.jpg

Day 840 - August 10, 2009

Wind SSE 12 knots, Course ESE, Speed 2 knots, Position 3*16n by 16*34w

Day of the Manta Ray

Yesterday we were followed by a 10-foot wide manta ray. He glided up effortlessly to the stern quarter of the schooner and with very little waving of his wings sailed along next to us about seven feet down. I videoed him, but he didn't show up well because it was overcast and the wind rippled the water causing reflections. I photographed him with our digital camera and those photos did not show up at all, so I decided to illustrate him with paint.

This is a good time for me now, and I decided I must start painting. Of course all the fish following us were curious about him and went to check him out. The funny thing was with in a few minutes the mahi calmed down and filed very close behind him. They swam along following him, their yellow tails and fins flashing in the deep blue.

Often times, all the different fish forge out ahead of the bow of the schooner constantly weaving and searching for food, but when they want to rest and take it easy, they gather close in under the stern where the disturbed water flow helps them swim along with less effort. The manta ray moved into our back wash and the mahi moved into his. The mahi are lively fish and soon they were back to prancing and jumping around.

Swimming right in front of the big mouth of the manta ray was a black and white-striped pilotfish. Wherever the manta swam the pilotfish never moved from that position. Manta have big mouths, but they only eat plankton like most whales.

I got to work clearing the deck of flying fish. There must have been over 50 of all sizes from one inch to over a foot long. The most I can eat a day is 4 for lunch and 4 for dinner. The rest I throw back to clear the deck for the fresh ones the next day. When I throw them back in I like to make them skip on the water so the mahi, jacks and tuna chase them, but they spit them out because they only want live fish.

The manta swam in close to the underwater window and I watched in awe. Since the triggerfish cleaned the underwater window, it already has moss and surprising little gooseneck barnacles are starting to grow. When we are becalmed again and the next school of triggerfish find us they will have a great feast.

Visit to North Carolina

Sunday, 09 August 2009

It’s been a while since I’ve last written an update and I’m sure many people are wondering what’s been happening with me and Darshen. He just turned a year old and is speed crawling everywhere. He can stand on his own and will take his exciting first steps any day now. His favorite activities are to empty clothes drawers and pick up handfuls of dirt at the park. As you might imagine, I’m kept very busy taking care of him and the book I am trying to write has been going very slowly since I don’t have entire hours of time to devote to it.

I just returned from a trip to North Carolina where Darshen and I met with what seemed like all of Reid’s family, three sometimes four generations of relatives were present. They were all wonderfully nice people who had such fond memories of Reid growing up, building the boat and also as an adult. I even saw pictures of him and his siblings as children. Yes, there were one or two physical traits that Darshen clearly shared with his father’s younger self!

It was a trip of many firsts for our son. Darshen had his first experience of the beach there, his first boat ride, and even got hands on with some of Reid’s beautiful figurative paintings created over thirty years ago.

Now back in New York, the time is flying by quickly. With each passing week Darshen does something new and amazing and I am challenged to grow with him. Reid and I still communicate every day by email and he is in a good place right now. A place filled with beauty, magic, and hard work, the trademarks of a moment well lived. Before you know it, he will be back and we will be living those moments together.

What requires more perseverance and stamina, drifting about the South Atlantic for months on end or following the repetitive self absorbed exploits of someone drifting about the South Atlantic for months on end?

The notion as expressed in his last phone call that he won't return until the spring or summer of 2010, well beyond 1000 days, is indeed troubling. Hurry home Weed. We can't take much more of this.

I was a critic of his drifting during earlier parts of his voyage but this is absurd. Certainly not the "high performance, dangerous" environment he promotes to the masses.

Certainly not the "high performance, dangerous" environment he promotes to the masses.

What about the scientific studies, ecological studies, mars analagous and other scientific data that was promised to better science, understanding of nature, the oceans and mankind?

You can't make this shit up!!! TFR!! :lol::lol::P

Like Moitessier in his book The Long Way Home, Stowe- having survived years before his mast while at sea, is so enjoying the life he's leading far from land- that he doesn't want it to end anytime soon. I can understand the psychology of not wanting to rejoin the hectic world of land, cities, distractions and the lack of closeness to the natural world that is lived while on the sea. Perhaps if he were given the option of a hidden retreat in the South Seas, or a deserted isle off the coast of somewhere, he might be more prone to making it back to the world of earth, sand, television news, and sky.

His posts sound like he is enjoying himself as never before; his photos have him looking more at peace, youthful and full of vim and vigor. After so long alone out in the space of the sea, why would he want to take all that beauty and innocence and return to the world of men, politics, armies, good and evil (& phony anarchy)? Now he can slowly make his way by night and day among the mahi mahi, continuing his long held daily tasks of survival and sustenance. Would not interstellar travellers on a multi year voyage through space not go through some ambivalence about ending their journey and leaving the dark stellar night that had been all they had known for so long?

As for me, I know from my own experience, get me to the nearest beach bar fast, as soon as we set anchor I am taking that dinghy full speed ahead looking for barely dressed wahinis and cold, cold beer.

Reid you have done what you dreamed of, what you said you were going to do, and done it superbly well. Don't let these negative shits here get you down. Hide out somewhere for a few years with Soanya and Darsh in a sugar shack and keep the dream alive.

wtf am i doing writing to stowe as if he's reiding this on sa? i must have truly gone to idiocy, to the dark side, to the likes of slightlessthansalty saying go reid on this thread beyond redemption. I must leave now to breathe the fresh air of the sea once more before it is toooooo laaaaaaate.

>> why would he want to take all that beauty and innocence and return to the world of men,

>> politics, armies, good and evil (& phony anarchy)? Now he can slowly make his way by night

You know I'm a Reid supporter, but I'm sure he realizes that this world of "beauty and innocence" is an illusion. The reason he can sail around the world without getting hijacked is because hundreds of thousands of men and women put their lives on the line to keep the high seas somewhat safe from floating criminals. The reason he can find plot his position at the touch of a button to find his way is because of a legion of physicists and engineers that developed GPS. From the rice and cheese that he pulls from his hold to the benefit of companionship with his wife over his satphone, he lives in a world of "men, politics, armies, good and evil" ... he just managed to find a forgotten little hem of it for a few years.