Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

Looks like another holy art icon for the Museum of 1000 or More Days at Sea gift shop.

.....I held the hefty hunk of broken steel eyebolt up to the heavens and praised it for carrying me this far and making me stronger. What choice do I have other than give all these broken parts respect as objects of uncritical devotion? I used the best of my knowledge and skills as I tried as hard as I could at the risk of my life for them. It was like removing a bad tooth from a flying dragon. I was grateful to be the one for the honor.

I will save this "tooth' as an empowered broken emblem, a symbol of the imperfect broken voyage that broke records and entrenched belief systems. These objects; broken steel, pulleys and sails have soul in them and deserve to live on as cultural teachers and holy art icons.

Edit: Wait... he'd never go for that. Maybe.... Reid Stowe's Sacred Cathedral and Museum of 1000 or More Days at Sea art gallery.

• Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

894-005.jpg

wtf - that was days from coming down ...didn't the clunking noise of the rig rocking back and forth give him a hint?

Look again at the general condition of his boat, rig, sails. I don't see evidence of any maintenance -- only emergency remedial work which appears misunderstood and poorly executed. I think that rig was never tightened. Next time the opportunity presents itself, talk with naive cruisers; many believe that taut standing rigging stresses their boat and mast. They don't realize that the jerking and clunking of a loose rig is far more stressful to the hardware. Think of a slide hammer removing dents from a steel car body.

I don't think the Tantric Schooner Anne has ever not clunked.

All this 30 year old unmaintained hardware will probably last just long enough for him to drift into some port.

When he built Tantra Schooner he had a ton of money to buy all this oversized gear. Even had a spiffy set of tanbark sails. In more recent years he hasn't had the money or the sense to maintain or replace anything. If it wasn't donated he didn't have it. Remember the liferaft and EPIRB were both last minute gifts. Where did a young hippie/artist obtain such funds? Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode.

Another fine example of his extremely poor seamanship, and total lack of basic maintenance.

894-005.jpg

wtf - that was days from coming down ...didn't the clunking noise of the rig rocking back and forth give him a hint?

plus

In some places I was able to put rope between the rubbing steel to act as a sacrificial bearing.

oh - thats a good solution.........it's all good now

I can't believe you guys are picking his maintenance apart. When one of you have been out there for 900 days on a hand built 70' schooner, sailing, maintaining and blogging etc., write us and let us know how you're doing in the maintenance department. It's not his goal to maintain it in bristol condition. All it has to do is last 1000 days. He explains it as prioritizing the tasks at hand. This didn't break, he caught it. He mentions that he's been keeping an eye on it. Not a big deal since he caught it. Give him a break and a hand for staying out there longer than anyone.....ever. :ph34r:

A question for the supporters/apologists, including Mr. McCormick.

Who is the greater sailor, Sanders with 3 solo circumnavigations nonstop in 658 days or Weedo with one circumnavigation semi solo in 1000 days?

Sanders didn't have much time for "art" or "computer work". He was too busy SAILING.

on a hand built 70' [boat], sailing, maintaining and blogging etc.,

With exceptions so rare as to be insignificant in the marketplace, every boat is hand built.

Apologize for Reid all you want, but his 1000 days is a non-event, non-adventure. He is accomplishing nothing while his boat deteriorates as he wastes his energy and resources making feces pieces. I've run into these charismatic, charlatan, seekers before. Cash only, Mr. Stowe.

I can't believe you guys are picking his maintenance apart. When one of you have been out there for 900 days on a hand built 70' schooner, sailing, maintaining and blogging etc., write us and let us know how you're doing in the maintenance department. It's not his goal to maintain it in bristol condition. All it has to do is last 1000 days. He explains it as prioritizing the tasks at hand. This didn't break, he caught it. He mentions that he's been keeping an eye on it. Not a big deal since he caught it. Give him a break and a hand for staying out there longer than anyone.....ever. :ph34r:

Ok, Reid can't fix shit... I'm OK with that.

But to change the subject...

Follow the money:

I can see Reid had some income from selling driftwood with some carvings on it, but how did he make his money?

Selling or transporting what?

He obviously didn't make money working on boats for a living.

Hmm, what else could he have done to make money?

For the life of me I can't find anything that describes his source of income other than hand-outs.

Can you help us out here Salty? This is your chance to enlighten us as to what Reid's profession or career might have been to afford the schooner by good deads of his efforts.

Change the subject if you don't have an answer...

how did he make his money?

Selling or transporting what?

He obviously didn't make money working on boats for a living.

He worked when I knew him. Gone in the morning, back around six, and then at night he worked for John. I'm sure you have this image of him hanging out all day with his hat in hand trying to get hand-outs, but that's not the Reid I knew. I think he did gallery and studio work around Chelsea and Tribeca.

Sure, boat maintenance is expensive, but when you don't have to pay rent, auto insurance, $500/month to park a car in NYC, the money can mount up pretty fast. Plus I never knew him to be much of a party-goer or a booze-hound, I think he was conservative with his money.

Who is the greater sailor, Sanders with 3 solo circumnavigations nonstop in 658 days or Weedo with one circumnavigation semi solo in 1000 days?

Sanders didn't have much time for "art" or "computer work". He was too busy SAILING.

Apples and Oranges. Totally different comparison. But 300 more days is a lot more. Then to throw the mix of art, blogging and a bit of sientific research...oh and build your own boat too,....hhmmm Reids got a good case. <_<

Apples and Oranges. Totally different comparison. But 300 more days is a lot more. Then to throw the mix of art, blogging and a bit of sientific research...oh and build your own boat too,....hhmmm Reids got a good case. <_<

Oh no. I think I'm going to take a brief hiatus from this thread until the flurry from this particular one blows over.

What scientific research are you referring to?.

I see you don't have any original wit about ya Vaporub. Too bad you decide(ed.) to slide lip civil discourse. Funny thing is, if Weed had truly done the impossible and simply side slipped and drifted his way right around da Horn, da Cape O'goodly sure hope he don't Die, and all the long way around this old beautiful world, I think he'd deserve an even more unique mainstream sailing Record than you uncivil basterds have already helped him officially obtain in the world where the wind blows and the old status quos just go to die. Blow it out yer stack Vikey- 'n try to get out all of dat SA Dawg induced sickfuk Reid hate, try farting or fasting or wotever works for ya. It can poison a man's soul till he can think no more fer his own self. Carry on Tyke.

Ducky/Lithium/jessie/tdBF/Wagster/SockPuppetOfTheDay:

Ya really need to slow down with drinking so early in the day - That and learn proper use of punctuation - While your rants won't make any more sense, they will be easier to read. ;)

+1

I am shocked that nearly all of his supporters, excluding Wofsey - really have the intellectual capacity of an ant OR are just really drunk all of the time.

Wow, I think that's a compliment ... I think. Do you mean that my intellectual capacity is larger than an ant, or that I don't seem to be drunk all the time?

It could go either way depending on the day.

894-005.jpg

Day 894 588 More Wear and Tear

Monday, 05 October 2009

Day 894588 - October 3, 2009

Wind S, 5 knots, Course E, Speed 0.7 knots, Position 9*57n by 21*55w

More Wear and Tear

Well over a year ago I noticed that the inch and one-quarter thick steel pins that hold the turnbuckles to the rigging were wearing down. I shifted many of the pins so that the wear would take place on thicker steel. In some places I was able to put rope between the rubbing steel to act as a sacrificial bearing. I change and adjust things as I go.

As the years went by most of the turnbuckles seized up on me, though I tried to keep them oiled and greased. One job after the next on a big old schooner constantly sailing at sea; I just could not keep up with all the jobs. I had to choose my priorities according to what I thought most important.

Most of the equipment on the schooner is strong, oversize and heavy duty, but old. I have had many systems to take care of, as well as all the life support duties and keeping myself strong and healthy. I guess I was as well prepared as I could be, given that I was never able to achieve a realistic budget or get enough constant help. WHA WHA WHA WHA BOO HOO Fucking ingrate!

All in all I feel very lucky. I had so many setbacks, we were lucky to get away and now having sailed at sea longer without stopping than anyone ever has, I bless my lucky stars and keep trying to figure out how to keep going and stay healthy.

One of the turnbuckle pins wore most of the way through and I caught it just in time and shifted it so that thick steel is wearing on the thick steel now. I blocked the tang that the pin goes through with a hard wood wedge and tied it so it won't slip out. Now I have to do a more complete check on the rest of them as well as keep up my pace sewing the mainsail.

It seems I have found a good location in the ocean to work on the schooner. Life continues and I keep up my same routine. I work half a day now and paint until coffee break and write and do computer work until dark. It is a good routine. I am feeling rested and time is flying. All is well on the high seas.

That's some amazing wear. You all give him a hard time about maintaining things but just like he said you got to choose your priorities. He should have brought a sewing machine. He's a busy dude with no weekends or sick days.

Ready for the 100 day count down!! Really is an amazing feat. I think he ought to travel around and give talks. If he came to a place near me I'd go and I'll bet just about all you'd go. I'll bet he gets on Oprah and makes a ton. I think it'd be great. He deserves it.

Why that might be dare I say it. "World Record" Wear for a turnbuckle pin.

Start up the PR machine, start writing Press Releases. Get NASA on the phone.

a bit of sientific research...hhmmm Reids got a good case. <_<

... of STDs.

Oh no. I think I'm going to take a brief hiatus from this thread until the flurry from this particular one blows over.

Your best, most concise, intelligent post to date Mike. Very nice.

894-005.jpg

Day 894 588 More Wear and Tear

Monday, 05 October 2009

Day 894588 - October 3, 2009

Wind S, 5 knots, Course E, Speed 0.7 knots, Position 9*57n by 21*55w

More Wear and Tear

Well over a year ago I noticed that the inch and one-quarter thick steel pins that hold the turnbuckles to the rigging were wearing down. I shifted many of the pins so that the wear would take place on thicker steel. In some places I was able to put rope between the rubbing steel to act as a sacrificial bearing. I change and adjust things as I go.

As the years went by most of the turnbuckles seized up on me, though I tried to keep them oiled and greased. One job after the next on a big old schooner constantly sailing at sea; I just could not keep up with all the jobs. I had to choose my priorities according to what I thought most important.

Most of the equipment on the schooner is strong, oversize and heavy duty, but old. I have had many systems to take care of, as well as all the life support duties and keeping myself strong and healthy. I guess I was as well prepared as I could be, given that I was never able to achieve a realistic budget or get enough constant help. WHA WHA WHA WHA BOO HOO Fucking ingrate!

All in all I feel very lucky. I had so many setbacks, we were lucky to get away and now having sailed at sea longer without stopping than anyone ever has, I bless my lucky stars and keep trying to figure out how to keep going and stay healthy.

One of the turnbuckle pins wore most of the way through and I caught it just in time and shifted it so that thick steel is wearing on the thick steel now. I blocked the tang that the pin goes through with a hard wood wedge and tied it so it won't slip out. Now I have to do a more complete check on the rest of them as well as keep up my pace sewing the mainsail.

It seems I have found a good location in the ocean to work on the schooner. Life continues and I keep up my same routine. I work half a day now and paint until coffee break and write and do computer work until dark. It is a good routine. I am feeling rested and time is flying. All is well on the high seas.

That's some amazing wear. You all give him a hard time about maintaining things but just like he said you got to choose your priorities. He should have brought a sewing machine. He's a busy dude with no weekends or sick days.

Ready for the 100 day count down!! Really is an amazing feat. I think he ought to travel around and give talks. If he came to a place near me I'd go and I'll bet just about all you'd go. I'll bet he gets on Oprah and makes a ton. I think it'd be great. He deserves it.

Why that might be dare I say it. "World Record" Wear for a turnbuckle pin.

Start up the PR machine, start writing Press Releases. Get NASA on the phone.

Even if he looses the rig, I am not sure it will affect his speed very much!

Please point to anything that can be described as "art". Not the flailings he has called" art, not marginally skilled wood-butchering and amateur paint-daubing, but actually art.

Please point to some - even a "bit" of scientific research. One "bit". And being a guinea pig for the onset of psychotic delusions doesn't count. He had those before he left.

Please point to anything that can be described as "art". Please point to some - even a "bit" of scientific research. One "bit".

(No cheating, Pip, JP, or China. Give the others a chance)

Answers are streaming in, but off base so far.

Look closer, Asymptote. That object that looks like a tire is indeed a GoodYear retread, rated for 23,500 miles or up to 8000 feet below sea level.

Definitely not Corinthian....but thanks for playing!

Is that Charo peeking out the window? But how can you be sure she's wearing CORINTHIAN leather?
After further review of the play, ten beer commercials, and nearly as many beers....there is insufficient evidence Charo is wearing Corinthian.

The ruling on the field stands & JP is charged with a timeout....

3990940593_b67bbdef02_o.jpg

CAn someone scan and post the new Snoozing World article? Or would that be copyright infringement?

Go pay for it, you cheap bastard.

Guilty as charged!

Never fear BB. According to the 1000 day site, MC is trying mightily to post it there.

If you can't bear the wait stop by a Barnes & Noble and take a read of one of their copies on the rack.Don't know what section of the periodicals it would be in, alternative, gardening, spirituality, space, or humor. Shouldn't be amongst the sailing rags.

CAn someone scan and post the new Snoozing World article? Or would that be copyright infringement?

Guilty as charged!

I finally got a copy. I'll have it with me this weekend for your perusal.

Not the one sided crap we're used to seeing. The quotes from Reid are pretty representative of Reid's ramblings. The author mentions the drug bust, and though it is a very lengthy article, it doesn't really point to any specific accomplishments on the trip besides hitting a ship, making repairs and getting Soanya pregnant. So it is pretty accurate on the accomplishments side.

One part that is pathetic is Reid's complaining about people who don't embrace his cruise --

"I'm not a perfect sailor, and they've found some flaws," Reid says of his more vocal denouncers. "They don't like my lifestyle, my philosophy, my woman, my personality, my boat and perhaps the fact that I'm following my dreams. But I can't see how any man who spends any amount of time at sea alone could hate me. At sea, you learn respect: otherwise you couldn't do it."

At sea you learn respect for what, otherwise you couldn't do what? And what does that have to do with hate? And who has said or written anything that leads you to believe you are being hated - certainly not me. If presenting facts and opinions opposed to Reid's own is construed as "hate", then he really needs to HTFU.

Total disrespect for the guy, but this "hate" bullshit has got to stop.

And ducky - before you get all emotional, I suggest you write a letter to the editor of CW about how the article slandered your hero by mentioning his time in prison. Maybe the crack head MC legal team can sue the publisher. That Herb is such a hater!

Guilty as charged!

I finally got a copy. I'll have it with me this weekend for your perusal.

Not the one sided crap we're used to seeing. The quotes from Reid are pretty representative of Reid's ramblings. The author mentions the drug bust, and though it is a very lengthy article, it doesn't really point to any specific accomplishments on the trip besides hitting a ship, making repairs and getting Soanya pregnant. So it is pretty accurate on the accomplishments side.

One part that is pathetic is Reid's complaining about people who don't embrace his cruise --

"
I'm not a perfect sailor, and they've found some flaws
," Reid says of his more vocal denouncers. "They don't like my lifestyle, my philosophy, my woman, my personality, my boat and perhaps the fact that I'm following my dreams. But I can't see how any man who spends any amount of time at sea alone could hate me. At sea, you learn respect: otherwise you couldn't do it."

At sea you learn respect for what, otherwise you couldn't do what? And what does that have to do with hate? And who has said or written anything that leads you to believe you are being hated - certainly not me. If presenting facts and opinions opposed to Reid's own is construed as "hate", then he really needs to HTFU.

Total disrespect for the guy, but this "hate" bullshit has got to stop.

And ducky - before you get all emotional, I suggest you write a letter to the editor of CW about how the article slandered your hero by mentioning his time in prison. Maybe the crack head MC legal team can sue the publisher. That Herb is such a hater!

"I'm not a perfect sailor, and they've found some flaws." Sounds to me that there are still some things to unearth about WEid's past. What could they be? <_<

Duck or Bleed. Why can't we have it both ways on a nice fall day in the Hamptons? The best Long Island Ducklings can be found at Deputy Dog's farm on the North Fork, surrounded by the vineyards that earned him his badge. Served with a very special sauce and a side of chips, they're Strada casserole is to die for.

Deputy Dog's. Live the dream.

Martha

3994625244_1c7aa9accd_o.jpg

900 days folks. That's 900 days out at sea. Reid has sailed 900 days without stopping or seeing land (maybe once when he dropped Soanya off but who cares). Give it to him folks he has made it a helluva long way!! :D:D:P

900 days folks. That's 900 days out at sea. Reid has sailed 900 days without stopping or seeing land (maybe once when he dropped Soanya off but who cares). Give it to him folks he has made it a helluva long way!! :D:D:P

?

Hey Salty -- I PM'd you my cell phone number. Please forward it to Reid and have him call me immediately. NASA just called and they're on the launch pad to Mars. They need some paintings, some direction regarding lotion for mansages, and a bit of dog shit with a bright yellow chunk of corn for both visual and tactile loveness.

If I don't answer, Twit me @ 1000DaysFucktardShitStain. My cabin boy will wake me.

Hugs,

RD

Day 898 - October 7, 2009

Wind N, 5 knots, Course SE, Speed 1.0 knots, Position 9*08n by 21*57w

Mars Abstracted

An old friend from NASA has repeatedly told me not to be concerned with NASA. Learning about the psychology to send humans to Mars is not high on their agenda.

A new friend from Washington emailed me a review from NASA's website saying astronauts were practicing for the 1000 day Mars mission by spending six months in the space station. That night I had a dream. I was standing in a polished hallway talking too a scientist and I said, "Six months is great, but if they want to send humans to Mars for almost three years, why aren't they doing longer analogs? Why isn't anybody considering what I am doing?" Then I threw a big towel down the hall. Does that mean I am throwing in the towel? Well I am not throwing in the towel.

I am the Reid Stowe of exploration. (Meaning; one who does the incomprehensible and is not meaningful to those who are only logical.) Analytical logic is too small for me as I intuitively explore. Logic of course comes along still searching for knowledge that is beyond its comprehension. I embrace logic as I expand and encompass the totality of the universe, losing all separateness and becoming identical with wholeness and the pure oneness of divine joy.

Long ago I left N E S and W behind. Now I roam in higher dimensions by abstracting space and denying a clear reading of three dimensional objects. The veil of three dimensional matter fragments, deconstructs and reveals the immensity of space in all directions. I try not to look at charts. Up and down are gone with right and left and orientation. Everything vibrates together in sympathy and my soul cheers, flying in immeasurable space, eternally viewed from all sides at once.

It is beyond spaceflight. It is the human spirit being rational and irrational, all things to encompass all. It remains beyond my comprehension, but the picture inspires and grows and the abstract vision helps further our horizons.

Mars Abstracted

An old friend from NASA has repeatedly told me not to be concerned with NASA. Learning about the psychology to send humans to Mars is not high on their agenda.

A new friend from Washington emailed me a review from NASA's website saying astronauts were practicing for the 1000 day Mars mission by spending six months in the space station. That night I had a dream. I was standing in a polished hallway talking too a scientist and I said, "Six months is great, but if they want to send humans to Mars for almost three years, why aren't they doing longer analogs? Why isn't anybody considering what I am doing?" Then I threw a big towel down the hall. Does that mean I am throwing in the towel? Well I am not throwing in the towel.

I am the Reid Stowe of exploration. (Meaning; one who does the incomprehensible and is not meaningful to those who are only logical.) Analytical logic is too small for me as I intuitively explore. Logic of course comes along still searching for knowledge that is beyond its comprehension. I embrace logic as I expand and encompass the totality of the universe, losing all separateness and becoming identical with wholeness and the pure oneness of divine joy.

Long ago I left N E S and W behind. Now I roam in higher dimensions by abstracting space and denying a clear reading of three dimensional objects. The veil of three dimensional matter fragments, deconstructs and reveals the immensity of space in all directions. I try not to look at charts. Up and down are gone with right and left and orientation. Everything vibrates together in sympathy and my soul cheers, flying in immeasurable space, eternally viewed from all sides at once.

It is beyond spaceflight. It is the human spirit being rational and irrational, all things to encompass all. It remains beyond my comprehension, but the picture inspires and grows and the abstract vision helps further our horizons.

Can't believe Herb McCormick reads this drivel and still writes a serious article about Weedo.

Another "rally the devoted" post.... maybe donations have fallen off. I hope they're illogical enough to understand THE Reid Stowe of Exploration, cuz I sure didn't. Maybe they could start a campaign by mailing big towels to their congressmen.

As his only source of information, MC is partly responsible for this monstrous ego, already super-inflated pre-voyage after he "healed society" by drawing a two-legged turtle. It's time to start telling him that the "whole world" wasn't watching. MC must also be responsible for fueling his ridiculous notion that he has all these HATERS out there ... an old method used by cults to foster that "it's us against them" cry for passionate obedience and action. Nice follow-thru, Herb.

First clown in space ~ shows what they know. Sort of makes you feel a little sorry for poor Weed who so craves attention like this...... the Bolshoi Ballet even!

Hey Wofsey ~ get this guy to front your desalinator!

3998325687_cf490ecdf1.jpg

FIRST CLOWN IN SPACE HOSTS SHOW TO SAVE EARTH'S WATER

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Wearing a red clown nose, the Canadian founder of Cirque du Soleil hosted an out-of-this-world performance event on Friday, saying he wanted to use his trip as a space tourist to highlight the scarcity of water on Earth.

Guy Laliberte's two-hour performance event called "Moving Stars and Earth for Water" linked the International Space Station with singers, dancers and celebrity campaigners in 14 world cities in what organizers called the first event of its kind to be hosted from space.

"I see stars, I see darkness and emptiness. But planet Earth looks so great, and also so fragile," Laliberte said from the International Space Station, where he has spent the past week after paying $35 million to fly on a Russian spacecraft and become the world's seventh space tourist.

"I decided to use this privilege to raise awareness of water issues," he said. "I believe that with true art and emotion we can convey a message."

Irish singer Bono, chatting with Laliberte from a U2 concert in Florida, called the former street performer "the first clown in space."

Former U.S. vice president and environmental campaigner Al Gore gave a video presentation on global warming and Brazilian singer songwriter Gilberto Gil sang in Rio de Janeiro.

Cirque du Soleil acrobats gave water-themed performances from Montreal and Las Vegas and dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet performed from Moscow in a show streamed on the Internet and broadcast on satellite TV in the United States, Canada and Latin America.

Laliberte, 50, whose money-spinning circus shows around the world have made him a billionaire, launched his Montreal-based nonprofit One Drop Foundation in 2007 to increase access to clean water worldwide.

Millions of people in developing countries do not have access to clean water, and water-borne illnesses are a persistent problem in many impoverished regions.

During the show, online viewers from as far away as Argentina, Australia and India were asked to sign "make a difference" pledges to cut back on bottled water, install water saving devices in toilets and make other environmental savings.

Organizers said the event was aimed more at awareness raising than fund raising.

"I thank you for joining the ripple effect," Laliberte said, ending what he called his "poetic social mission" with a slow-motion shot of droplets of drinking water in the micro-gravity atmosphere of the space station.

I try not to look at charts.

And my insurance just went up... wtf? How can anyone think this guy is a sailor worthy of anything? Mikey, please explain how the cheesemonaut doesn't have to look at charts and why the Mac owner doesn't either!

Mars Abstracted

A new friend from Washington? Washington State? No -- I'm sure he means Washington, DC. The implication here is that he knows someone on the inside; however a 6 year old from Kuala Lampur has access to the same internet thing.

I almost feel sorry for the folks on his shore team that have to try and manage his expectations of how irrelevant his trip is to NASA, school children, or humanity. I say "almost feel sorry" because these idiots were so far up his ass before he left that if any one of them had a hard sneeze, Reid would have blown a navel.

Classic case of ego meets total failure.

BTW - NASA is way too hung up on analytical logic, engineering, and physics. Just shove a rocket up a shaman's ass and aim it at the moon.

900-002.jpg

Day 900 Soft Voice of Many Waters

Saturday, 10 October 2009

Day 900 594 - October 9, 2009

Becalmed, DriftingFloating as usual E, 0.4, Position 9*11n by 21*57w

Soft Voice of Many Waters

With such a gentle breeze the sea is often silent. Even the booms, pulleys and sails are very silent. I try to tend to everything and make it quiet. Here the tradewinds slack to spin off breezes and blow lightly back and forth. The edges of the currents from the N and S greet each other. They are warm, but cooler currents must rise to the surface here and there. The sea is often almost completely smooth. So I guess you're no longer being rocked by 33,176 (or whatever) waves per day, eh, WEidy?

At night I watch the reflections of the moon like wet liquid brush strokes out to the edge of the horizon. Then I will lay back down naked on a cushion in the cockpit and fall asleep as infinitely long lengths of soft silk are dragged over my body from one horizon to the other. PIG

Then I will hear little waves breaking and soft voices, many voices and I wake back up and sit up and all around little waves are breaking. This must be currents from different directions meeting, saying hello and exchanging pleasantries.

Oh I have heard the ocean in tumult shouting, screaming, hissing and howling, mixing with the shrieks of wind in the rigging and the rapid pounding of waves on the hull. I have heard it so long and loudly that I put pillows over my head for relief. Now there is a kindly soft voice of many gentle waters and it passes the schooner and moves off into the distance and I fall back to sleep.

The fairy terns tweet sweetly, but the cutest sound is that of triggerfish kissing on the surface of the water. They swim up to a little white dot, turn slightly sideways and give a distinctive smooch above the water. Then they flutter back down and there is one less white dot on the surface of the sea. Often there are many triggies smooching around the schooner all day long and I am reminded that I am in the sea of Love. And that I'm totally insane!

Cheese, he's whipping out a masterpiece hourly. Is MC taking bids on these works of art??

First clown in space ~ shows what they know. Sort of makes you feel a little sorry for poor Weed who so craves attention like this...... the Bolshoi Ballet even!

3998325687_cf490ecdf1.jpg

FIRST CLOWN IN SPACE HOSTS SHOW TO SAVE EARTH'S WATER

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Wearing a red clown nose, the Canadian founder of Cirque du Soleil hosted an out-of-this-world performance event on Friday, saying he wanted to use his trip as a space tourist to highlight the scarcity of water on Earth.

Guy Laliberte's two-hour performance event called "Moving Stars and Earth for Water" linked the International Space Station with singers, dancers and celebrity campaigners in 14 world cities in what organizers called the first event of its kind to be hosted from space.

"I see stars, I see darkness and emptiness. But planet Earth looks so great, and also so fragile," Laliberte said from the International Space Station, where he has spent the past week after paying $35 million to fly on a Russian spacecraft and become the world's seventh space tourist.

"I decided to use this privilege to raise awareness of water issues," he said. "I believe that with true art and emotion we can convey a message."

Irish singer Bono, chatting with Laliberte from a U2 concert in Florida, called the former street performer "the first clown in space."

Former U.S. vice president and environmental campaigner Al Gore gave a video presentation on global warming and Brazilian singer songwriter Gilberto Gil sang in Rio de Janeiro.

Cirque du Soleil acrobats gave water-themed performances from Montreal and Las Vegas and dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet performed from Moscow in a show streamed on the Internet and broadcast on satellite TV in the United States, Canada and Latin America.

Laliberte, 50, whose money-spinning circus shows around the world have made him a billionaire, launched his Montreal-based nonprofit One Drop Foundation in 2007 to increase access to clean water worldwide.

Millions of people in developing countries do not have access to clean water, and water-borne illnesses are a persistent problem in many impoverished regions.

During the show, online viewers from as far away as Argentina, Australia and India were asked to sign "make a difference" pledges to cut back on bottled water, install water saving devices in toilets and make other environmental savings.

Organizers said the event was aimed more at awareness raising than fund raising.

"I thank you for joining the ripple effect," Laliberte said, ending what he called his "poetic social mission" with a slow-motion shot of droplets of drinking water in the micro-gravity atmosphere of the space station.

This might be a worthy addition to the 1000 Day of Hell site.

If Weed ever knew about this he would be devastated. I'm sure our Drifter feels he should be given a free ride to space to share his thoughts and art with the world. Would be OK as long as there weren't any women on board.

If Weed ever knew about this he would be devastated. I'm sure our Drifter feels he should be given a free ride to space to share his thoughts and art with the world. Would be OK as long as there weren't any women on board.

Weed's probably already digging around for charts so he can drift to Canada in the spring. Guy Laliberte is the ideal "potential" or "mark" (MC's words) to finance that "custom" 100-footer he's aiming for next.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion, maybe he can evangelize our stuff somehow. I have no ability to contact him other than through his flacks, but maybe they'll let my letter though.

And my insurance just went up... wtf? How can anyone think this guy is a sailor worthy of anything? Mikey, please explain how the cheesemonaut doesn't have to look at charts and why the Mac owner doesn't either!

I dunno, good depthfinder and an ironclad keel?

Almost completely off-topic... I was reading this thread:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...c=95765&hl=

about that 16-year-old girl out to set the new record for youngest circumnavigator?

Not drawing any parallells, just wondering... did anyone crack up laughing when they saw the name of her boat?

Elle's Pink Lady.

Nice work Reid. 900 days, I'll give it to you on this one. You are doing what you said you would do and my hat's off to you. All the nay sayers can suck it now huh!! :lol:

Ah Salty, you've made the inevitable Hovian transformation. All cheerleaders of His Cheeseness become haters of any and all critical of the sacred mission. Infidels!!!

Look at what you've become. It's frightening. Repent now before you're completely lost to the darkness. Lost to......the VOID!

Nice work Reid. 900 days, I'll give it to you on this one. You are doing what you said you would do and my hat's off to you. All the nay sayers can suck it now huh!! :lol:

Speaking of doing what he said he would do, when can we expect details on the scientific research you mentioned?.

Hey Salty, your 'Nucks kicked the Northstars last night. One of the Sedins got hit in the foot though, he's out for at least a month. But lucky Vancouverites, you have a carbon-copy Sedin ... of course you also now have Rayzor, and Luonchoke, so things are not all flowers and peaches.

Do you sail up in your area? You should tell us about some of your adventures up there, I would give anything to be up in Vancouver.

Hey Salty, your 'Nucks kicked the Northstars last night. One of the Sedins got hit in the foot though, he's out for at least a month. But lucky Vancouverites, you have a carbon-copy Sedin ... of course you also now have Rayzor, and Luonchoke, so things are not all flowers and peaches.

Do you sail up in your area? You should tell us about some of your adventures up there, I would give anything to be up in Vancouver.

The Northstars? Are you going all Old School on us now.

day900logo-500.jpg

Ehh, not to be nitpicking or anything, but is that picture a true image?

I would think the bowsprit would be gone, with him Hitting the Maersk ship...

Also all only a few sails would be up.....

The hull would be completely encrusted....

All the the sails would be blow out, and in shreds...

The rig would be about to come down due to wear....

ohh yeah, you missing budda and all wich apparently are attracted to that reid fellow....

Just saying.

Speaking of doing what he said he would do, when can we expect details on the scientific research you mentioned?.

I'll help out Salty just a little since 1000 Days promised to study this issue (among many others). Here's what Soanya of the Sea had to say on Day 279:

"When Reid came in saying the sun was very intense, a thought popped into my head. Wasn't the hole in the ozone layer somewhere near Australia? I had read an article about it a while back and couldn't really remember the details. Wasn't the whole ozone layer thinning much to the panic of scientists and wasn't there now more than one hole in it? In recent years we haven't heard much about ozone depletion but it must still exist and is probably getting worse."

while THE EXPLORER, Reid Stowe, is making art and drifting, others have a tougher time of it on their expeditions.

http://vimeo.com/6913318

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8pOL75spTc...feature=related

http://www.walkingtheamazon.com/

Thanks for that, Pip! I'll be enjoying it with my mornin' coffee. I did watch just the clip with the electric eel....yikes! And whattaguy! He's asking for donations to help some very good causes.

http://urbansannyasin.wordpress.com/

(excerpt)

The very day I decided to begin looking for a boat to buy, I was riding down in an elevator, in the office where I worked, carrying a book called Heavy Weather Sailing. There was a tall fellow in the elevator who was carrying a book called A Voyage for Madmen, which details a race around the world that Bernard Moitessier nearly won. We talked and I told him how much I admired Moitessier and he told me that I had to meet his dear friend Reid Stowe. As a young man, Reid had sailed down to French Polynesia and had met and spent time with Moitessier learning about the philosophy of long distance, solo voyaging upon the sea.

I met Reid on his boat which he was preparing for a non-stop voyage, out of sight of land, lasting 1000 days. We talked about sailing, and meditation and self-discovery. I learned that he and I shared many of the same practices, both learned from the book Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines – edited by W.Y. Evans-Wentz. I helped him out with a little work on his boat, and he helped me learn what qualities to look for in a boat that could take me around the world. And, shortly thereafter, I found and purchased the perfect boat! What a fortunate elevator ride that was!

Reid is approaching the 900th day of his 1000 Day Voyage. A true Sannyasin! You can learn more about Reid and his amazing voyage at the 1000Days.net website.

what is a sannyasin?

http://www.sannyasworld.com/index.php?name...p;theme=Printer

"A sannyasin is one who has come to understand the futility of so-called worldly life. A sannyasin is one who has understood one thing -- that something needs to be done immediately about his own being. If he goes on drifting in the old way, he will lose the whole opportunity of this life. A sannyasin is one who has become alert that up to now he has lived wrongly, has moved in wrong directions. has been too concerned with things and not concerned with himself, has been too concerned with worldly prestige and power and has not been concerned about who he is. A sannyasin is one who is turning towards himself, PARABVRUTTI. A sannyasin is a miracle -- the energy is moving back towards oneself."

our pal mike dougan is a sannyasin too.

Weed did somehow manage to circumnavigate the planet. I do give him credit for that.

But it wasn't completely solo and these days is not an extraordinary accomplishment.

Heck, even a child could do it.

Teenagers do.

http://urbansannyasin.wordpress.com/

(excerpt)

The very day I decided to begin looking for a boat to buy, I was riding down in an elevator, in the office where I worked, carrying a book called Heavy Weather Sailing. There was a tall fellow in the elevator who was carrying a book called A Voyage for Madmen, which details a race around the world that Bernard Moitessier nearly won. We talked and I told him how much I admired Moitessier and he told me that I had to meet his dear friend Reid Stowe. As a young man, Reid had sailed down to French Polynesia and had met and spent time with Moitessier learning about the philosophy of long distance, solo voyaging upon the sea.

I met Reid on his boat which he was preparing for a non-stop voyage, out of sight of land, lasting 1000 days. We talked about sailing, and meditation and self-discovery. I learned that he and I shared many of the same practices, both learned from the book Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines – edited by W.Y. Evans-Wentz. I helped him out with a little work on his boat, and he helped me learn what qualities to look for in a boat that could take me around the world. And, shortly thereafter, I found and purchased the perfect boat! What a fortunate elevator ride that was!

Reid is approaching the 900th day of his 1000 Day Voyage. A true Sannyasin! You can learn more about Reid and his amazing voyage at the 1000Days.net website.

what is a sannyasin?

http://www.sannyasworld.com/index.php?name...p;theme=Printer

"A sannyasin is one who has come to understand the futility of so-called worldly life. A sannyasin is one who has understood one thing -- that something needs to be done immediately about his own being. If he goes on drifting in the old way, he will lose the whole opportunity of this life. A sannyasin is one who has become alert that up to now he has lived wrongly, has moved in wrong directions. has been too concerned with things and not concerned with himself, has been too concerned with worldly prestige and power and has not been concerned about who he is. A sannyasin is one who is turning towards himself, PARABVRUTTI. A sannyasin is a miracle -- the energy is moving back towards oneself."

our pal mike dougan is a sannyasin too.

THIS is why I really can't stand old hippies.

I was a young hippie. That's what youth is for. Being generally full of shit and opinionated. And taking small, but still indigestible bites of philosophies they will never live and are completely detached from, and mostly irrelevant to, their world.

I take it sannyasin is sanskrit for self-centered, pan-handling egotist.

Good word. Will have many uses.

(Good god, a Westsail 32....I should have known. The wannabee's dream boat.)

..... a book called A Voyage for Madmen, which details a race around the world that Bernard Moitessier nearly won.

Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks

He didn't nearly win anything. He lost.