• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

Waiting_4_Weed2.jpg

Why am I all zombie looking? You got the eyes about the right color, especially given the relative cheapness of my liquor, but my teeth and skin are in far better condition than that.

Probably just googled Alabama resident found took a stock photo and ran with it.

Great update on the party and a message from Reid on the 1000 day site. He still sounds reasonably sane. Go Reid! B)

Sounds like he's still able to read.

And hey - wow - 50 people attended the party.

I've been to Little League parties after a loss that had more people attending.

Rock on MC.

I agree. I figured there would be hundereds of people at the party. I am surprised. He deserves some celebration. At least someone finally got him on the FP of SA. Maybe someone ought to start a "congrats Reid Stowe" thread. Give the guy a break he's accomplished at least most of the goals he set out to do and set a lot of world records that will most likely stand for quite a while. :D

• Downvote 1
I agree. I figured there would be hundereds of people at the party. I am surprised. He deserves some celebration. At least someone finally got him on the FP of SA. Maybe someone ought to start a "congrats Reid Stowe" thread. Give the guy a break he's accomplished at least most of the goals he set out to do and set a lot of world records that will most likely stand for quite a while. :D

Implicit in the use of the word "goals" is more than one.

I'm not seeing it.

well, good on ya salty if you wrote that piece for the front page.

actually, Reid promised to circumnavigate 4 times:

back when it was only a dream..

When Reid casts off from Pier 63, he will follow global trade winds from New York to the southern coast of Africa, past Australia, around the end of South America to circumnavigate the globe in the southern hemisphere 4 times.

but who's counting at this point.

i agree that with the clicks on this thread, they could have given the guy a little nicer blip.

also as all of us 'dangerously obsessed' are well aware of, the cheese scow is NOT made of concrete its fer-a-lite.

SA is a let down to every one of us sometime or other, so don't think you're alone there, its part of the charm of the place.

at least you had us here by your side on Reid's big day.

the Ed has trashed truly* great sailors before with no apology, even when called on it clicky so don't let it get to you.

i'm sure Reid is grateful for your support here.

*sorry but your pal aint even close

Great update on the party and a message from Reid on the 1000 day site. He still sounds reasonably sane. Go Reid! B)

Sounds like he's still able to read.

Rock on MC.

Thats because the free dairy queen doesn't cost $10.

Rock on MC.

Cut them some slack RD. They held the party on a weekend, in NYC, during the winter when no one has anything else better to do...........uh, never mind.

Rock on MC.

Cut them some slack RD. They held the party on a weekend, in NYC, during the winter when no one has anything else better to do...........uh, never mind.

Ok, OK!

I like the folks and had a good time at the party. 2 pictures --

D is a friggen sweetheart and J the Bell is a hot shit too -

4294064019_02504ac254_o.jpg

Serious ..... they's fun on!

New footage from years ago. Watch the whole thing, but wake up and pay attention at about 5:10.

Good stuff. I appreciate the concept of a helpful brother.

My brother's a selfish bastard who's not nice to our Mom. She lets me run my computer related insulting business out of her basement. My brother's a dick who married above his station in life, can't play a drum, and spent more time shooting the shit with C-Scow-the-bastard-fuck during the VOR game than me, his own flesh and blood, and I hate him.

Fuck you C-Scow. Fuck you Bro. I'm prepping for "1000 Days at My Keyboard, a Voyage of Hate".

Anyone out there who want's to sponsor a lethargic turd who just sits on the sofa with a handgun waiting for his dickhead brother or C-Scow to come by can PM me...or just send me bullets. Hollow points are better than the shit I snagged at Walmart, but I'm not picky.

Also, I've got a jar of generic, medium salsa. If you could send a bag of Tostitos with the bullets, that'd be greatly appreciated. Tostitos Scoops would be best......and hollow points.

Minute 5:10; feeling lucky? Priceless~~!!

I'll bring the Tostitos, RD.

Only ammo in stock at the High Tide Cafe, is 12 guage target load, does that help? When Wal-Mart opens, I can stock up for the 30-30, and 22...

Around 4:30 while discussing the considerable weight of all the supplies/provisions Weid mentions how they filled the boat up with more cargo in the past and it's not a concern. Yeah, like tons of marijuana.

Minute 5:10; feeling lucky? Priceless~~!!

I'll bring the Tostitos, RD.

Only ammo in stock at the High Tide Cafe, is 12 guage target load, does that help? When Wal-Mart opens, I can stock up for the 30-30, and 22...

Have you left yet? Can I go with you to Walmart? :lol:

Hey folks. I am about to break a new year’s resolution. I am going to post on this thread after I have been taking strong drink.

Over the last 3 years this thread has been an enormous source of entertainment for me. 1st as a lurker, then newbie, member, anarchists and now as a 1000 days contributor.

I am so proud.

I trust when the inevitable deformation action by Reid against this thread is lodged, I have done enough to be included.

But never the less we should acknowledge (and raise our glass's) to reidy for his many achievements.

Being....

1/ He has been at sea, out of site of land, mostly and nearly all the time, almost, longer than anyone else who gave a fuck enough to keep a record of it. (Except the 18th century whalers that were often at sea for more than 3 years, but didn’t give a fuck about it)

2/ He bought Mikewolfsey on to our radar who is, and I mean this, one of the most entertaining and eloquent posters here.

I get you mike!

3/ Reidy should also be acknowledged for doing easily the most pointless sea voyage of all time and most importantly

4/ Providing a little beam of humor into each of the last 1000 days for us all.

I salute you reidy and thank you most sincerely for your endeavors.

You stupid fucktard.

My brother's a selfish bastard who's not nice to our Mom.

WTF? Are you talking about Regattas Brother, a.k.a. the guy kind enough to respond to my VORG PM's, whilst I was asking WTF kind of VORG performance art you were trying to draw in the Southern Ocean? The guy standing in because you were "off doing your own thing" (his words), whateverthefuckthatis, during the middle of a VORG race??? He seemed like a pleasant enough chap to me.

As for your Mom, pinch her ass for me and tell her I look forward to having more of her lemon chicken, next VORG race (2011).

My brother's a dick who married above his station in life, can't play a drum, and spent more time shooting the shit with C-Scow-the-bastard-fuck

Hold on a Hovian Minute, buster. I went to ask you what portion of the fucking hump-back seagulls you were trying to virtually sail/draw in the Southern Ocean (so I could draw in your fuckups).... before Regatta's Brother (after posting a half-dozen times, like he was you) informed me you were "out there doing it". If not for the distinct lack of words like "fuck", I wouldn't have even been suspicious....particularly since he gained about 10,000 VORG places in your absence. Granted, he does seem a bit too polite to be from the Regatta clan (adopted? mailman? one of life's many wonders). Frankly, it didn't occur to me to ask him if he played drums, though that would be a distinct plus.....particularly if he married well above his station in life, thus could afford the tour bus needed to haul 400 gallons of home brew drums between fund-raising performances by The $10 Regatta Punk Dixieland Band.

Fuck you C-Scow. Fuck you Bro. I'm prepping for "1000 Days at My Keyboard, a Voyage of Hate".

Bring it on, Grasshopper. I'll even give you the same 43-day head start you gave me because I was too drunk to sail a handmade VORG boat busy to start the VORG race on time. By my estimation, I presently have about 8750 days at a keyboard...14,000 if including computer and musical keyboards. And counting. Consider watching your copy of the Karate Kid again...that part about the kid learning to polish cars....

Anyone out there who want's to sponsor a lethargic turd who just sits on the sofa with a handgun waiting for his dickhead brother or C-Scow to come by can PM me...or just send me bullets. Hollow points are better than the shit I snagged at Walmart, but I'm not picky.

Take it to "Oops, I Shot My Schlitz and the TV By Mistake" Anarchy. And yeah....hollow points are definitely the proper tool for the job. Unfortunately, I used mine up, once I discovered my formerly numerous backyard squirrels were impersonating that other varmit you claim is not a squirrel.

4113972273_3a3175f8cd_m.jpg.

Hey folks. I am about to break a new year’s resolution. I am going to post on this thread after I have been taking strong drink.

Over the last 3 years this thread has been an enormous source of entertainment for me. 1st as a lurker, then newbie, member, anarchists and now as a 1000 days contributor.

I am so proud.

I trust when the inevitable deformation action by Reid against this thread is lodged, I have done enough to be included.

But never the less we should acknowledge (and raise our glass's) to reidy for his many achievements.

Being....

1/ He has been at sea, out of site of land, mostly and nearly all the time, almost, longer than anyone else who gave a fuck enough to keep a record of it. (Except the 18th century whalers that were often at sea for more than 3 years, but didn’t give a fuck about it)

2/ He bought Mikewolfsey on to our radar who is, and I mean this, one of the most entertaining and eloquent posters here.

I get you mike!

3/ Reidy should also be acknowledged for doing easily the most pointless sea voyage of all time and most importantly

4/ Providing a little beam of humor into each of the last 1000 days for us all.

I salute you reidy and thank you most sincerely for your endeavors.

You stupid fucktard.

Don't forget to acknowledge the enigmatic "Motorcycle".

New footage from years ago. Watch the whole thing, but wake up and pay attention at about 5:10.

My brother's a selfish bastard who's not nice to our Mom. She lets me run my computer related insulting business out of her basement. My brother's a dick who married above his station in life, can't play a drum, and spent more time shooting the shit with C-Scow-the-bastard-fuck during the VOR game than me, his own flesh and blood, and I hate him.

Also, I've got a jar of generic, medium salsa. If you could send a bag of Tostitos with the bullets, that'd be greatly appreciated. Tostitos Scoops would be best......and hollow points.

The video is so much better than the photos or even telecasts. I hope they have a lot of unreleased video for a documentary. :)

• Downvote 1

The video is so much better than the photos or even telecasts. I hope they have a lot of unreleased video for a documentary. :)

Me too, D***?

Just guessing.

• Like 1

Rock on MC.

you should have gone Dog, a rather attractive friend of mine was there.

Yeah -- But I'm on a list. Couldn't have gotten in unless Ster****, Don** and I had a few beers next block first.

Does she (your friend) know I'm .....you know......a dick about this?

BTW - Auburn has much better looking women. War Eagle...........wait for it..........

• Like 1
Yeah -- But I'm on a list. Couldn't have gotten in unless Ster****, Don** and I had a few beers next block first.

How would they know? Just buy your ticket under the name Alex Able, they'll never know what hit 'em.

I think she could care less. You do know that attractive women in general couldn't give a crap about a bunch of losers on a sailing forum, right?

• Like 1

How would they know? Just buy your ticket under the name Alex Able, they'll never know what hit 'em.

I think she could care less. You do know that attractive women in general couldn't give a crap about a bunch of losers on a sailing forum, right?

So what do I do with this? Friend her on Face Book, send her a Chicken Pot Pie recipe, knock on her door and start crying so she can tend to a loser, or become a Reid fan? I'm a principled guy, but if she's hot......

Mike - PM me a description of her. I've got secret photos of the event. I blue dotted the one I posted earlier.

Thanks mate.

EDIT -- Billy - Go to bed right now, or I'm telling Mrs. Backstay of your indiscretion when I meet her for coffee after church tomorrow.

• Like 1
Chicken Pot Pie!?!? Yum yum.................

Seal tonight -- wedding reception. Couple people that work there got married yesterday. Great to hear the groom repeat his vows with lungs full of helium.

Did the bride go through the porthole????

Did you hit on the bridesmaids??

Chicken Pot Pie!?!? Yum yum.................

Seal tonight -- wedding reception. Couple people that work there got married yesterday. Great to hear the groom repeat his vows with lungs full of helium.

Did the bride go through the porthole????

Did you hit on the bridesmaids??

No.....and.....um......no.

I'm waiting for your daughter's wedding. I would never hit on Backstay Juniorette, but I hear her bridal party will be wearing short, plaid, Catholic school uniforms. When I send in my card, my "and guest" will be Mr. Clean.

• Like 1
So what do I do with this? Friend her on Face Book, send her a Chicken Pot Pie recipe, knock on her door and start crying so she can tend to a loser, or become a Reid fan? I'm a principled guy, but if she's hot......

Mike - PM me a description of her. I've got secret photos of the event. I blue dotted the one I posted earlier.

You're going to need to do this one on your own and gate-crash the next SA brain-rinsing event.

There's only one way to properly romance attractive women, and it's going to require that you learn the ukulele, grow a wicked-sweet 'stache, and buy a stovepipe hat.

I'm sorry Dog, but you simply cannot sidestep tradition and expect any good to come of it.

Facebook, indeed!

Probably just googled Alabama resident found took a stock photo and ran with it.

I don't think that's it, because when I googled Alabama resident I came up with this:

bama-cheer21.jpg

You must have used Ogle not google.

BTW I like your result better.

A few interesting moments from the interview .......

SOANYA: There's a huge green aspect to this voyage…. it's a very green and sustainable kind of venture that we were on, but not exactly because we set out to do something that was ecologically-friendly. It just turned out that way…

~~~~~~~~~

HAROLD: Reid tried….he was trying to get for this venture, which was a major venture, what would be called real corporate and/or major media coverage….he was not able to realize that… One of the questions is, why isn't there interest on the part of the media or the major players of society in such a momentous event?...

I had occasion to be at a roundtable … sitting to my left was a man… chairman of the committee at the Explorers Club, the most prestigious institution that celebrates geographical discoveries… but also those that have pushed the limits of human endurance… and we were talking about other things including Reid… and he said to me, he happened to be chairman of the committee for inductees to that, and he said that if Reid pulls that off… he is going to be enshrined within that institution, right up there with the top explorers, for fulfilling the mission, a human mission, of exploring… He'd be right up there with Sir Edmund Hillary...

So one of the things I don't understand, why didn't the major media, in the past, or now for that matter, now that Reid has actually met that, set that record, that monumental record of being there, setting this, why is it do you think that they did not then, when he set out, or maybe even more importantly, why in the world is the major media not picking up on this monumental study, heroic study of a fantastic example of pushing the limits -- this story, that is so dramatic, and so important… why is not the great networks and everything not following him?...

SOANYA: …No corporation has stepped up, and said 'Okay, we'll back you'… I think also with a corporate sponsorship… you get media with that also, but without it, why hasn't the media picked up on this story? I don't know… I think part of the reason is that the whole voyage, the whole concept of the voyage is very different from what most people know, and because of that it's very hard to categorize the story or what he's doing...

SOANYA: So we're relatively unknown.

HAROLD: I predict that's going to change...

SOANYA: I hope so!

HAROLD: …in the time ahead, I think when it dawns, particularly when the spirit of the entrepreneur – somebody doing something individual, like an artist, doing something and pushing a limit, and then succeeding at it, and the implications of it, I think that there's going to be a major pick-up on that...

SOANYA: …Reid and I have both tried putting forth various theories as to why we haven't gotten as much attention as something like this would deserve. I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~

SOANYA: One of the computers had lasted well over a year, and in that salt environment, the onshore team was pretty amazed that it lasted that long.

HAROLD: Do we dare say which computer served well, and wouldn't that be a great brand ad for an ad for the computer that stood up. and couldn't it go with million dollar campaigns to cover the fact that that computer was delivering this great monumental event? And where the hell is the ad industry not taking advantage of taking this story, branding it and making it available, turning him into an international global hero. Why?

SOANYA: I don't know.

HAROLD: I think its due for that, don't you?

SOANYA: Yes, definitely!

~~~~~~~~~~

HAROLD: (re Departure) We had a party back here that very day, 'cause I brought some of the footage, and we had a party in commemoration of you and Reid, with a group called The Colors, which is a brilliantly creative group of artists, who do a program in the studio. We had footage of you guys sailing, but they do a lot of video mixing, it's gets to be high art, I swear to God, every program…

• Like 1

Sir Edmund Hillary indeed.

The movie references were helpful, though a little out of date. Mentioning Lifeboat in relation to the fresh water situation made some sense, but the quote from The African Queen about the repair to the bowsprit was spot on -- "Mr. Allnut, can you fashion a torpedo?"

Not very impressed with the interviewer's staff. They failed to provide him with some pretty basic information before the interview --

Channer on obtaining fresh water - "Isn't it interesting how they provide fresh water right out of the sky."

Channer on obtaining fresh food - "Are there fish you can catch? Is that reasonable?"

Basic research on rain and where fish live might have been useful.

You really can't make this shit up.

EDIT - One more good quote I found today in the article on the front page of SA about Abby Sunderland - "Sure, Reid Stowe proved that even the most retarded sailors can drift around the world eventually..."

That stuff just cracks me up. The major media aren't following it and Stowe isn't getting the attention he thinks the Sprout and Cheese Driftathon deserves because outside of Reid, Soanya and a small cadre of followers no one sees it as all that big of a deal. Human mission of exploring?..Bwaaaaaaaa.

That stuff just cracks me up. The major media aren't following it and Stowe isn't getting the attention he thinks the Sprout and Cheese Driftathon deserves because outside of Reid, Soanya and a small cadre of followers no one sees it as all that big of a deal. Human mission of exploring?..Bwaaaaaaaa.

Ah, but the Explorers Club ranks this achievement with the likes of Hillary and...................

Ah, but the Explorers Club ranks this achievement with the likes of Hillary and...................

I about spit coffee all over the monitor when I read that. How many times does Harold use the word monumental in that video?.

From Jessica's blog:

My quite sunny conditions ended with a bit of a bang, Ella's Pink Lady and I have been having a very interesting time out here. The wind had been expected to rise to a near gale, but none of the computers or forecasts picked that it would reach the 65knots that I recorded, before losing the wind instruments in a knockdown!

That much wind means some very big and nasty waves. To give you an idea of the conditions, they were similar to and possibly worse than those of the terrible 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race. We experienced a total of 4 knockdowns, the second was the most severe with the mast being pushed 180 degrees in to the water. Actually pushed isn't the right word, it would be more accurate to say that Ella's Pink Lady was picked up, thrown down a wave, then forced under a mountain of breaking water and violently turned upside down.

With everything battened down and conditions far too dangerous to be on deck, there wasn't anything I could do but belt myself in and hold on. Under just the tiny storm jib, the big electric autopilot did an amazing job of holding us on course downwind, possibly or possibly not helped by my yells of encouragement! It was only the big rogue waves that hit at us at an angle (side on) that proved dangerous and caused the knockdowns.

The solid frame of the targa (the frame that supports the solar panels) is bent out of shape and warped (see pic below), which provides a pretty good idea of the force of the waves. Solid inch thick stainless steel tube doesn't exactly just bend in the breeze, so I think you could say that Ella's Pink Lady has proven herself to be a very tough little boat!

With my whole body clenched up holding on, various objects flying around the cabin and Ella's Pink Lady complaining loudly under the strain, it was impossible to know what damage there was on deck. It was a little hard at times to maintain my positive and rational thoughts policy, but overall I think I can say that the skipper held up us well as Ella's Pink Lady. It was certainly one of those times when you start questioning exactly why you're doing this, but at no point could I not answer my own question with a long list of reasons why the tough times like that aren't totally worth it!

So in the middle of all the drama, back at home Mum received just about the worst phone call possible from the Australian Rescue Coordination Center (RCC), telling her that one of my EPIRBs (emergency signaling devices) had been activated. One of the knockdowns had caused the automatic EPIRB mounted under the dodger to turn on without me knowing. Luckily I called in only a few minutes later before anyone could really start to panic. I was pretty annoyed at the stupid thing for going off and giving everyone such a scare!

We didn't come though completely un-scathed though, as there's plenty of minor damage, but luckily nothing bad enough to stop us. Actually I think it's a huge credit to our rigger David Lambourne, that the that mast is still standing and appears in perfect working condition. So other than the wonky looking targa, the starboard solar panel is all bent up and the windvane is now sitting on a bit of an angle, but amazingly and very luckily, it still works fine (go Parker!). There are also a few tears in the mainsail and one of the stanchions is bent in.

Down below, the cabin was a totally disaster zone, everything is wet or damp. The dunny (toilet) which fell apart, was in pieces spread from one end of the boat to the other, along with other equipment. The meth stove wont light, but will hopefully fire up when it dries out a little more.

After clearing up the worst of it and despite finally managing some good sleep, I still feel like a giant marshmallow. Physically, my arms and legs are all heavy and pathetic and of course I have a lovely collection of bruises! Mentally, I feel like I've aged a good 10 years, but I'm back to normal now and in good spirits as we approach the half way mark.

When the wind had finally calmed down, I was treated to a pretty incredible sunset and as I was clearing things up on deck, a couple of dolphins stopped by just as if they were checking that we were all OK.

Well I just watched the whole interview and Harold is well... a bit on in years it seems. Although he like me is astounded that Reid isn't getting the press he deserves. I just don't get it either. He's doing something no one else has ever done. He ought to get more press. Soanya coundn't be sweeter. What a score for Reid to have her on board. Pretty amazing woman in my eyes. Go the Reid!! :)

• Downvote 1
Well I just watched the whole interview and Harold is well... a bit on in years it seems. Although he like me is astounded that Reid isn't getting the press he deserves. I just don't get it either. He's doing something no one else has ever done. He ought to get more press. Soanya coundn't be sweeter. What a score for Reid to have her on board. Pretty amazing woman in my eyes. Go the Reid!! :)

Read the above post from Jessica. A sixteen year old girl on a boat half the size of Reid's that reports matter-of-factly about broaching and damage without all the fucking drama. Now take a look at one of Reid's posts -

Nobody will doubt that being alone on a boat the furthest distance from land is living close to death and God. I see it as one of the ways of living my life to the fullest. If I make one wrong move the other world is just over the edge. The edge wants to cross its boundaries and come in, and because I love life, I keep it at bay; but it is tenacious and reaches for me in every way, day after day, for hundreds of days on end.

Jessica's story is interesting and compelling. Reid's story is amusing.

Read the above post from Jessica. A sixteen year old girl on a boat half the size of Reid's that reports matter-of-factly about broaching and damage without all the fucking drama. Now take a look at one of Reid's posts -

Nobody will doubt that being alone on a boat the furthest distance from land is living close to death and God. I see it as one of the ways of living my life to the fullest. If I make one wrong move the other world is just over the edge. The edge wants to cross its boundaries and come in, and because I love life, I keep it at bay; but it is tenacious and reaches for me in every way, day after day, for hundreds of days on end.

Jessica's story is interesting and compelling. Reid's story is amusing.

What do you mean, RD?. Reid is pushing the limits of human endurance for the betterment of all mankind. Just ask him.

The Explorers Club -

Who is Considered for Membership?

The Explorers Club differentiates exploration for field science from exploratory travel for tourism. While both activities are valuable, our members and those qualified for membership are persons who carry out or assist in field science expeditions to study unknown or little known destinations or phenomena in order to gain knowledge for humankind. You need not have climbed Everest, dived to the deepest point in the ocean, or discovered a new dinosaur. But we are looking for individuals who have gotten their hands dirty and their feet wet working in the field as participants in one or more documented scientific expeditions.

If Reid had done any scientific research, he might be considered for membership.

The Explorers Club -

The Explorers Club differentiates exploration for field science from exploratory travel for tourism. While both activities are valuable, our members and those qualified for membership are persons who carry out or assist in field science expeditions to study unknown or little known destinations or phenomena in order to gain knowledge for humankind. You need not have climbed Everest, dived to the deepest point in the ocean, or discovered a new dinosaur. But we are looking for individuals who have gotten their hands dirty and their feet wet working in the field as participants in one or more documented scientific expeditions.

If Reid had done any scientific research, he might be considered for membership.

How could you forget the scientific research he shared on the "No No's" for Space Explorers?

I am not eagerly awaiting his studies on birth control in extreme environments. He maintains the results are inconclusive however rumor has it that his research assistant has contradictory findings.

One more good quote I found today in the article on the front page of SA about Abby Sunderland - "Sure, Reid Stowe proved that even the most retarded sailors can drift around the world eventually..."

There is a big difference. Reid is an experienced sailor and actually pretty good at it even though few of us would know it given his super slo-mo drift around the South Atlantic. And his boat is built for heavy weather, the thing is an oversized floating tank.

But this Abby girl is another story, I'm genuinely worried about her and I don't know how her parents can let her go. She's in a fairly lightweight racing boat, and she has little if any experience to be able to handle major problems.

Reid is drifting now, but he went through some pretty severe weather including a capsize that a little Open 40 would have a tough time surviving, and made all the worse by an inexperienced sailor.

There's no way I would let my daughters do that kind of trip even if they had a heavier boat than Abby and twice the experience. Four times the experience and a big heavy schooner, then maybe, but really, how much real open ocean single-handed sailing experience can a 16 year old get? She's still practically wet behind the ears.

One more good quote I found today in the article on the front page of SA about Abby Sunderland - "Sure, Reid Stowe proved that even the most retarded sailors can drift around the world eventually..."

There is a big difference. Reid is an experienced sailor and actually pretty good at it even though few of us would know it given his super slo-mo drift around the South Atlantic. And his boat is built for heavy weather, the thing is an oversized floating tank.

But this Abby girl is another story, I'm genuinely worried about her and I don't know how her parents can let her go. She's in a fairly lightweight racing boat, and she has little if any experience to be able to handle major problems.

Reid is drifting now, but he went through some pretty severe weather including a capsize that a little Open 40 would have a tough time surviving, and made all the worse by an inexperienced sailor.

There's no way I would let my daughters do that kind of trip even if they had a heavier boat than Abby and twice the experience. Four times the experience and a big heavy schooner, then maybe, but really, how much real open ocean single-handed sailing experience can a 16 year old get? She's still practically wet behind the ears.

take it to teenage solo sailing anarchy

• Like 1
The Explorers Club -

How could you forget the scientific research he shared on the "No No's" for Space Explorers?

I am not eagerly awaiting his studies on birth control in extreme environments. He maintains the results are inconclusive however rumor has it that his research assistant has contradictory findings.

In case nobody here knows about the Explorer's Club, it 'aint quite what it used to be.

I went to a few of their events, and a nice old gent was considering sponsoring me for membership based on my work as a science journalist in Australia. Needless to say, the most 'exploratory' thing I did down there was drink exotic cocktails with a rather attractive Maori coworker in a nightclub in Glebe.

They get together every few weeks, when I was there most of their membership was over retirement age, and it was largely a social event, with assorted speakers, in a gorgeous townhouse on the Upper East Side filled with old maps and stuffed carcasses of extinct birds.

I have no doubt in my mind that Reid will be one of their most exciting new recruits in the last ten years, they will love him to bits. Because their favorite kind of people are the ones with interesting stories to tell who don't represent the Upper East Side social scene. Think of wealthy patrons watching the natives dance and you'll get a taste of their events.

Still, given that, that place is the sh-t! Wives just love going there, because they get to be adventurous while going no further East than Park Avenue, and if you've ever wanted to hang out in a room filled with old British Colonial artifacts and drink half-decent whiskey, that place cannot be beat.

The Explorers Club -

But what about his validating the Baby-Boomers?!

I broke this lengthy gem into paragraphs. The serious photo with Soy gazing off to the far unexplored sea kills me....... :lol:

4303622887_2627017f16_o.jpg

Our Responsibility

October 23, 2007 -- Day 184

Wind ESE 12-15, Course S, Speed 3-4 knots

Our responsibility to succeed with the mission becomes more and more clear each day. There were many family, friends and companies who have helped us over the years, always standing up for me and believing in the project. They all believe in Soanya and me and want to see us accomplish our goals because our endeavor has become their endeavor.

I see our responsibility in a larger and more varied way. I often felt like I was doing this for my generation, those of us who came of age in the 60's. To validate our lifestyles and our reactions to the atomic threat, landing on the moon, segregation, the Vietnam War, the birth of rock and roll, and the alternative culture. We have survived, made something out of our lives and contributed to a more aware society.

One of my realizations was that the years spent upon the sea in my starship turned my sailing into a space analogous voyage because in many ways it resembles going into space. Now it's possible that if enough people hear about the Mars Ocean Odyssey and are enthusiastic, we could sway popular opinion that it is humankind's destiny to voyage further into space and our country will make it a goal in our lifetime.

You can imagine that if we didn't succeed the naysayers could unite and say "See, it's not possible for people to perform alone year after year in a life and death environment." Therefore, most space professionals would rather not know about us because our fate could influence their dreams and livelihood. Their space analogous environments are strictly controlled and whether their scientists are in a space center or camping in the dry valleys of Antarctica, or in Canada during their summer break, the outcome is predictable and safe, not at all like a mission to Mars where people will have to abandon themselves for years non-stop as we have.

We still think we can succeed and we carry our responsibility with our whole being. On a larger scale, we feel that the spirit of exploration has manifested itself for this time in us and that gives us something very precious that we have to take care of. If we fail, then we make it more difficult for those who would like to step out of the box and pursue a different dream that they might have. More regulations could be set up that would require licenses, insurance, approved flight plan and government approval. This is all for the safety of the public, but the spirit of exploration might be trapped in a gilded cage.

To a certain degree, we have succeeded. We have succeeded in setting off in pursuit of our dreams. As we approach two hundred days, there are certainly positive and thought provoking "firsts" that we are accomplishing. Perhaps this is the longest non-stop space analogous mission to take place on this earth. We know that two Russians spent a year in the space station with re-supply. Maybe a marine historian can let us know, but I believe we are approaching the longest non-stop man and woman sea voyage. Soon we will be at sea without seeing land or other humans for a record time. We take our responsibility seriously and strive to be an inspiration to mankind.

• Like 1
The Explorers Club -

But what about his validating the Baby-Boomers?!

I broke this lengthy gem into paragraphs. The serious photo with Soy gazing off to the far unexplored sea kills me....... :lol:

4303622887_2627017f16_o.jpg

Our Responsibility

October 23, 2007 -- Day 184

Wind ESE 12-15, Course S, Speed 3-4 knots

Our responsibility to succeed with the mission becomes more and more clear each day. There were many family, friends and companies who have helped us over the years, always standing up for me and believing in the project. They all believe in Soanya and me and want to see us accomplish our goals because our endeavor has become their endeavor.

I see our responsibility in a larger and more varied way. I often felt like I was doing this for my generation, those of us who came of age in the 60's. To validate our lifestyles and our reactions to the atomic threat, landing on the moon, segregation, the Vietnam War, the birth of rock and roll, and the alternative culture. We have survived, made something out of our lives and contributed to a more aware society.

One of my realizations was that the years spent upon the sea in my starship turned my sailing into a space analogous voyage because in many ways it resembles going into space. Now it's possible that if enough people hear about the Mars Ocean Odyssey and are enthusiastic, we could sway popular opinion that it is humankind's destiny to voyage further into space and our country will make it a goal in our lifetime.

You can imagine that if we didn't succeed the naysayers could unite and say "See, it's not possible for people to perform alone year after year in a life and death environment." Therefore, most space professionals would rather not know about us because our fate could influence their dreams and livelihood. Their space analogous environments are strictly controlled and whether their scientists are in a space center or camping in the dry valleys of Antarctica, or in Canada during their summer break, the outcome is predictable and safe, not at all like a mission to Mars where people will have to abandon themselves for years non-stop as we have.

We still think we can succeed and we carry our responsibility with our whole being. On a larger scale, we feel that the spirit of exploration has manifested itself for this time in us and that gives us something very precious that we have to take care of. If we fail, then we make it more difficult for those who would like to step out of the box and pursue a different dream that they might have. More regulations could be set up that would require licenses, insurance, approved flight plan and government approval. This is all for the safety of the public, but the spirit of exploration might be trapped in a gilded cage.

To a certain degree, we have succeeded. We have succeeded in setting off in pursuit of our dreams. As we approach two hundred days, there are certainly positive and thought provoking "firsts" that we are accomplishing. Perhaps this is the longest non-stop space analogous mission to take place on this earth. We know that two Russians spent a year in the space station with re-supply. Maybe a marine historian can let us know, but I believe we are approaching the longest non-stop man and woman sea voyage. Soon we will be at sea without seeing land or other humans for a record time. We take our responsibility seriously and strive to be an inspiration to mankind.

The dude just has crazy eyes....

What is his "welcome home" flotilla supposed to be? Any Anarchists heading to that party?

clearly you do though........otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here on your fat butt

clearly you do though........otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here on your fat butt

Not at all, I find it amusing in a pathetic kind of way. Like your interest in my butt.

After a nearly 1100 pages on this forum I still dont get it.

Whats to get, its an international metaphoric out pouring of conversation about the homeless. How did their past choices affect their homeless status today. How should their past criminal endeavors affect the aid and treatment they are given today. Toss in some admiration for how he took a refrigerator box and made it into his home. And you got the 1000 day voyage.

We could be the fucking UN here.

Whats to get, its an international metaphoric out pouring of conversation about the homeless. How did their past choices affect their homeless status today. How should their past criminal endeavors affect the aid and treatment they are given today. Toss in some admiration for how he took a refrigerator box and made it into his home. And you got the 1000 day voyage.

We could be the fucking UN here.

Huh? I thought it was a metaphoric review of the life of the Emperor Penguin and their mass migrations?

Sweet and lovable goofball does what many of us wanted to do when we were 10 ... load up a boat, run away from home. Family and friends help him. Bullies give him virtual wedgies and swirlies every day at lunch. Boobies.

n6404633590_6741.jpg

Or on the other hand, you might read Stowe's writings and conclude he is a classic narcissist who has manipulated many in an insatiable quest for fame and escape from responsibilities; while sweet and lovable goofballs can't help but give that monumental ego a poke every day at lunch.

• Like 1

If humanity is to grow and thrive, and love and peace are finally to be the rules rather than the exceptions, we all have to come together in a harmonious equilibrium that can only be realized through the self actualized spiritual being that lives in each of us which is yearning to be set free from the individual to meld seamlessly with the world spirit that surrounds the enlightened with love, the downtrodden with hope, and the skeptics with vision that allows them to see, and thus fully grasp the sacred philosophy inherent in mankind since the beginning of time.

Hope that helps.

it's just like the neverending story, but there are no word count police in here

If humanity is to grow and thrive, and love and peace are finally to be the rules rather than the exceptions, we all have to come together in a harmonious equilibrium that can only be realized through the self actualized spiritual being that lives in each of us which is yearning to be set free from the individual to meld seamlessly with the world spirit that surrounds the enlightened with love, the downtrodden with hope, and the skeptics with vision that allows them to see, and thus fully grasp the sacred philosophy inherent in mankind since the beginning of time.

Hope that helps.

thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
If humanity is to grow and thrive and love and peace are finally to be the rules rather than the exceptions we all have to come together in a harmonious equilibrium that can only be realized through the self actualized spiritual being that lives in each of us which is yearning to be set free from the individual to meld seamlessly with the world spirit that surrounds the enlightened with love the downtrodden with hope and the skeptics with vision that allows them to see and thus fully grasp the sacred philosophy inherent in mankind since the beginning of time.

good one RD - but ya accidentally used commas - fixed it for ya

Or on the other hand, you might read Stowe's writings and conclude he is a classic narcissist who has manipulated many in an insatiable quest for fame and escape from responsibilities; while sweet and lovable goofballs can't help but give that monumental ego a poke every day at lunch.

Hmm ... but then how would you explain the boobies?