Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

Reids thread I think will easily hit 1,000,000 views. That's another record that will be hard to beat. :lol:

Seems you're setting the record for resurrecting this thread from Page 3 (@25 threads per page viewing).

Nothing new here except your perpetual excitement wasted on this less worthy thread when there's so much more here with substance.

Other than the spectacle of watching Weirdo Stowe drift in absurdity and the talent of Anti-Hovians with their comic use of PhotoShop there's not much to report other than "still drifting" while separated from his most recent abandoned family languishing in the charity of NYC Hovians.

• Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

RD says he'll be putting up some more photos of the mission accomplished party.

i got a pm from MC who says they are working on making a tribute slideshow, in the meantime they sent me a couple of pics.

looks like a good time was had by all:

5df3afbb.gif

ps: Ocean Bien, did you catch at the end of the 'packing up the pre-painted works of art' video that Reid says he is hoping for west winds to enter NYC in june? he goes on to say they would be favorable for an approach..seems counter-intuitive to me since that's dead upwind but what do i know..

• Like 1
From Jessica's blog:

My quite sunny conditions ended with a bit of a bang, Ella's Pink Lady and I have been having a very interesting time out here. The wind had been expected to rise to a near gale, but none of the computers or forecasts picked that it would reach the 65knots that I recorded, before losing the wind instruments in a knockdown!

That much wind means some very big and nasty waves. To give you an idea of the conditions, they were similar to and possibly worse than those of the terrible 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race. We experienced a total of 4 knockdowns, the second was the most severe with the mast being pushed 180 degrees in to the water. Actually pushed isn't the right word, it would be more accurate to say that Ella's Pink Lady was picked up, thrown down a wave, then forced under a mountain of breaking water and violently turned upside down.

With everything battened down and conditions far too dangerous to be on deck, there wasn't anything I could do but belt myself in and hold on. Under just the tiny storm jib, the big electric autopilot did an amazing job of holding us on course downwind, possibly or possibly not helped by my yells of encouragement! It was only the big rogue waves that hit at us at an angle (side on) that proved dangerous and caused the knockdowns.

The solid frame of the targa (the frame that supports the solar panels) is bent out of shape and warped (see pic below), which provides a pretty good idea of the force of the waves. Solid inch thick stainless steel tube doesn't exactly just bend in the breeze, so I think you could say that Ella's Pink Lady has proven herself to be a very tough little boat!

With my whole body clenched up holding on, various objects flying around the cabin and Ella's Pink Lady complaining loudly under the strain, it was impossible to know what damage there was on deck. It was a little hard at times to maintain my positive and rational thoughts policy, but overall I think I can say that the skipper held up us well as Ella's Pink Lady. It was certainly one of those times when you start questioning exactly why you're doing this, but at no point could I not answer my own question with a long list of reasons why the tough times like that aren't totally worth it!

So in the middle of all the drama, back at home Mum received just about the worst phone call possible from the Australian Rescue Coordination Center (RCC), telling her that one of my EPIRBs (emergency signaling devices) had been activated. One of the knockdowns had caused the automatic EPIRB mounted under the dodger to turn on without me knowing. Luckily I called in only a few minutes later before anyone could really start to panic. I was pretty annoyed at the stupid thing for going off and giving everyone such a scare!

We didn't come though completely un-scathed though, as there's plenty of minor damage, but luckily nothing bad enough to stop us. Actually I think it's a huge credit to our rigger David Lambourne, that the that mast is still standing and appears in perfect working condition. So other than the wonky looking targa, the starboard solar panel is all bent up and the windvane is now sitting on a bit of an angle, but amazingly and very luckily, it still works fine (go Parker!). There are also a few tears in the mainsail and one of the stanchions is bent in.

Down below, the cabin was a totally disaster zone, everything is wet or damp. The dunny (toilet) which fell apart, was in pieces spread from one end of the boat to the other, along with other equipment. The meth stove wont light, but will hopefully fire up when it dries out a little more.

After clearing up the worst of it and despite finally managing some good sleep, I still feel like a giant marshmallow. Physically, my arms and legs are all heavy and pathetic and of course I have a lovely collection of bruises! Mentally, I feel like I've aged a good 10 years, but I'm back to normal now and in good spirits as we approach the half way mark.

When the wind had finally calmed down, I was treated to a pretty incredible sunset and as I was clearing things up on deck, a couple of dolphins stopped by just as if they were checking that we were all OK.

She is a very coherent writer (unlike Reid).

4011 miles to go in 80 days.

When is his window to head north to keep "on schedule"?

I am trying to plan my summer schedule to be able to witness the "Flotilla"!

Last time I was in this big a deal it was the largest flotilla of warships gathered since WWII

hal.pdf

c. 1965

If he can keep it over 2kts for the duration, he just might make it.

In the past 200 days of "sailing" he's traveled about 375 miles point to point, and broke the 2kt barrier once.

2.089 or ~50 miles per day. He had best get moving!

What license?

don't ya remember, wofsey told us.

when Reid wasn't working overtime washing dishes/bartending @ the frypan or grooming Eastern Blok Chicks for dinners at the xxxplorers club, he was busting ass doing nightwatchman on the pier. carried a badge too. CMTSU.

wiggumreid-1.gif

• Like 1
What would happen if let's say Reid Stowe pulled into Antigua?

It's on the way, it's downwind.

He might be able to find another shipmate to help him deliver the boat to NYC.

Hahaha! Funny you should say that. But I don't think Soy will go for it because the last time he brought (stole) his boat from Anguilla, rumor has it he and his wife's BFF did the trip together and he ended up screwing around on wifey with her no more BFF! End of WEid and Iris...

And it's been established here that WEid doesn't have a captain's license from anywhere.

Reids thread I think will easily hit 1,000,000 views. That's another record that will be hard to beat. :lol:

Seems you're setting the record for resurrecting this thread from Page 3 (@25 threads per page viewing).

Nothing new here except your perpetual excitement wasted on this less worthy thread when there's so much more here with substance.

Other than the spectacle of watching Weirdo Stowe drift in absurdity and the talent of Anti-Hovians with their comic use of PhotoShop there's not much to report other than "still drifting" while separated from his most recent abandoned family languishing in the charity of NYC Hovians.

All due respect to Salty, he sails a wooden boat!

Wood ... he obviously has bigger cujones than most of us.

What license?

don't ya remember, wofsey told us.

when Reid wasn't working overtime washing dishes/bartending @ the frypan or grooming Eastern Blok Chicks for dinners at the xxxplorers club, he was busting ass doing nightwatchman on the pier. carried a badge too. CMTSU.

Reel that one in Squeaky, I new wrote that he did nightwatchman work or carried a badge.

Reel that one in Squeaky, I new wrote that he did nightwatchman work or carried a badge.

nonwofseys spare yourselves, skip this post:

if you'd actually read this thread and retained any info, you'd realize that was a joke.

the nightwatchman thing was 'discovered' way before your illustrious arrival. the reid wiggums i posted was a private joke i sent JPlanet at that time years ago.

what sailed over your head was me pointing out the absurdity that in spite of claiming a history on the pier and local knowledge, we've never yet had one morsel of pertinant commentary from you that's to be believed.

(you did tell us reid worked soo hard dishwashing/bartending and most always wore a suit too, remember?)

everyone knew you didn't provide any anecdotal information of any kind.

your intentions here are clear; distract, obscure and pontificate.

carry on...i'm sure there is something alabaman, hockey-related or kayakian you've got lined up to bore us 'bullies' with..one thing certain, you won't mention anything to do with 1,000 days at sea, will you?

keep sneering at us MW, don't let me spoil your fun.

btw, salty doesn't have a monopoly on wood boats, i owned one myself for many years and am female, no 'cujones'.

salty's purpose here is the same as yours, pure puppetry. we are actually fairly evenly divided among us as to which of you is the most annoying. zzzzzzz.

• Like 1

if you'd actually read this thread and retained any info, you'd realize that was a joke.

the nightwatchman thing was 'discovered' way before your illustrious arrival. the reid wiggums i posted was a private joke i sent JPlanet at that time years ago.

what sailed over your head was me pointing out the absurdity that in spite of claiming a history on the pier and local knowledge, we've never yet had one morsel of pertinant commentary from you that's to be believed.

(you did tell us reid worked soo hard dishwashing/bartending and most always wore a suit too, remember?)

carry on...i'm sure there is something alabaman, hockey-related or kayakian you've got lined up to bore us 'bullies' with..one thing certain, you won't mention anything to do with 1,000 days at sea, will you?

btw, salty doesn't have a monopoly on wood boats, i owned one myself for many years and am female, no 'cujones'.

salty's purpose here is the same as yours, pure puppetry. we are actually fairly evenly divided among us as to which of you is the most annoying. zzzzzzz.

If all of this is true, then how do you explain the boobies?

Hmmm?

You think you're SO VERY SMART, but you can't explain the boobies can you? That's the big hole in your ridiculous theories, because no matter how smart you think you are, there are the boobies, hanging over your theory like a giant canopy, destroying your carefully-written hypothesis, knocking the wind out of it.

So just keep writing stuff Mr. Pipsqueak, but until you can explain the boobies, nobody is going to believe you or listen to you.

From the Way Pre-Wofsey Department . . .

He quoted me as saying something I didn't say.

It's all fun and games until you start posting under your own legal name. Ah, the things a guy has to go through to be in compliance with House Resolution 3402.

It's all fun and games until you start posting under your own legal name. Ah, the things a guy has to go through to be in compliance with House Resolution 3402.

Which is the only reason I am posting under my given name.

Hmmm?

You think you're SO VERY SMART, but you can't explain the boobies can you? That's the big hole in your ridiculous theories, because no matter how smart you think you are, there are the boobies, hanging over your theory like a giant canopy, destroying your carefully-written hypothesis, knocking the wind out of it.

So just keep writing stuff Mr. Pipsqueak, but until you can explain the boobies, nobody is going to believe you or listen to you.

Woofdog, are you hammered again?

Hmmm?

Yeah, what about the boobies?!

• Downvote 1

Hi Mike.

Hmmm?

Yeah, what about the boobies?!

Exactly Salty! What ABOUT the boobies?!

You and I are willing to ask the tough questions that it seems nobody on this thread is willing to ask. And we're the Stowe supporters.

I really want to see the 1000 Day contingent try to worm their way out of this one, don't you Salty?

Come on folks ... you go on and one about how Reid sucks, and how he can't sail, and how his boat is a joke, but what about the boobies?

You go on and on about Reid's history and his way of living, but what about the boobies?

Until someone on this thread can answer that simple question I can't see how they can even talk about anything else. It's the 5000 pound blue elephant standing right in the middle of the room, and y'all are just ignoring the question like it doesn't even exist.

But at least Salty and I are willing to acknowledge it. We're not afraid of the question even if y'all are!

Hi Mike.

Don't give me that "Hi Mike" crap! What about the boobies Bob?

What about the boobies?

Hi Mike.

And yet even more proof that Salty and I are the only ones here not afraid to ask the tough questions:

Hi Mike.

And yet even more proof that Salty and I are the only ones here not afraid to ask the tough questions:

Nice tune, but the video sucks. Can you overlay this and re-post?

37beach_work.gif

EDIT - Hi Mike.

Hi Mike.

37beach_work.gif

EDIT - Hi Mike.

Eh. Breasts.

Salty and I ask you about the boobies and you post these pictures of topless European women? Come on Bob, it's finally time to get serious about this.

Reid is floating around the South Atlantic, he's going to be back eventually, and when he does this thread will have all sorts of new material. Then our chance to clear up this whole question will be lost for at least another several months.

post-21545-1264758809_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike.

Don't give me that "Hi Mike" crap! What about the boobies Bob?

What about the boobies?

Cliff, why don't you and Clean start a law firm? You can enforce 3402 and make money at the same time. At least a lot more than you will selling some plastic at $249.00

Hi Mike.

37beach_work.gif

EDIT - Hi Mike.

I never knew silicone was influenced by the moon. Its like the boob tide.

Cliff, why don't you and Clean start a law firm? You can enforce 3402 and make money at the same time. At least a lot more than you will selling some plastic at $249.00

Without fear of getting too Cliffy on ya ...

The purpose of selling the plastic at $249 isn't so much to make money, it's to establish value for the patents, and to support our work for getting our rigid panels into Developing Nations. The obvious problem is that diarrhea kills about 1.5 million people every year, and dirty water kills more people than war. Selling these panels as backup for yachts and emergency preparedness introduces the product so that we can eventually afford to get them en masse into Developing Nations.

The ultimate goal is not to sell a chunk of plastic for $249, but to sell an equally-efficient chunk of plastic for $24. The potential good that something like that could do is staggering.

The more standard route for physicists and mathematicians to get rich quick is to use Monte Carlo analysis, Stochastics, Heat Equation, Hidden variable theory, Random Markov theory, et. al. on Wall Street. Plenty of money there for people who know how to find signal in noise. (i.e. pinpoint sell-off, buy-in errors by the institutional investors and then capitalize on them.)

But desalination is genuinely where it's at, even if the money isn't there yet. And problems in brine pollution are going to need a lot of time and money. The potential global environmental disaster of saline gradient inversion due to brine dumping would turn your beard white. Everyone who understands this problem is losing sleep at night, myself included.

make money at the same time. At least a lot more than you will selling some plastic at $249.00...

The purpose of selling the plastic at $249 isn't so much to make money, it's to establish value for the patents, and to support our work for getting our rigid panels into Developing Nations. The obvious problem is that diarrhea kills about 1.5 million people every year, and dirty water kills more people than war. Selling these panels as backup for yachts and emergency preparedness introduces the product so that we can eventually afford to get them en masse into Developing Nations.

The ultimate goal is not to sell a chunk of plastic for $249, but to sell an equally-efficient chunk of plastic for $24.

The potential good that something like that could do is staggering....

Good response. Red's idea isn't entirely bad...you could probably be a profitable asshole lawyer if you put your mind to it. But if you even scratch the world's drinking water problem.....well, let's just say that puts Weed's MOO and other such "records" into proper perspective, in terms of significance and hard earned money potential.

For Weed's sake, just don't get into Mac debates with potential sailing desal customers. First impression counts. Stick with marketing themes we all can agree on, such as CScow's Belgian Tripel kicking Barley's Detroit Tripel's ass, the Redwings pretending to be something they're not (the Blackhawks), and MS Paint being vastly superior to wanna-be PhotoChop. With credibility firmly established, you can then slide into the finer points of your SEA Panel products, features and benefits, etc. to close the sale.

• Like 1

Again, Mr. Narcissist shows his true colors........ I'll never understand why he has supporters left after how they've been used by that bastard. And poor deluded Soanya ~ you're hardly near the top of that moron's list of concerns, and neither is your unmentioned and forgotten "mistake" son. You and Darshen would be the FIRST items of any normal man's list of why he might be "looking forward to coming back". He makes me wanna puke ~ what a shameful disgrace for "mankind".

Cut to 29:38

Hi Reed, it's Soanya.

Hi Soanya! How are you?

Good! They wanted me to talk to you [though?] I talk to you every week.

It's always great to talk to you, and hear that everything's going real good.

We've got a question for you ~ are you looking forward to coming back?

[insert knowing chuckle from the crowd]

Yes, I'm soon coming back. You know, the thing that [moves?] and keeps me out here is to continue to [hunker?] down, and not thinking about anything except where I am, and throughout the whole voyage I haven't been thinking about the things I need on the land, or coming back, or counting the days. I've just been appreciating the opportunity to be out here, that I worked so hard to get, and then people helped so much to make it possible.

I'm trying to make the most of being out here now, and actually I'm feeling like I have so much more [?], more [?] and more paintings to make, and then I'm off [Nirvanna?] and before they're really complete, I'm back. I'll be back. I'm looking forward to being back. Looking forward. I'm looking to coming back because, you know I'll be coming back to the world, and just having to deal with things that I didn't deal with these last three years out here.

• Like 1

Can we invite Yuko to sing for us at the next Providence Boat Show crawl?

Hey Red -

I'm thinking it might be better to hire Reid for a speaking engagement in a "booth" between the Cabot Cheese folks and those Kiwi wine people. Fate brought that shit together and reassured me that there is a God. A generous God that on the 45th day said - "Let there be horseradish, and blessed be the Cabotions. For I shall create a cheese that is sharp of cheddar, mild of radish, and heavy on horse".

On the 46th day, God created the cracker.

Praise be to God.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Mennnnnnnnnnnnnn*

*Almond

Without fear of getting too Cliffy on ya ...

The ultimate goal is not to sell a chunk of plastic for $249, but to sell an equally-efficient chunk of plastic for $24. The potential good that something like that could do is staggering.

But desalination is genuinely where it's at, even if the money isn't there yet. And problems in brine pollution are going to need a lot of time and money. The potential global environmental disaster of saline gradient inversion due to brine dumping would turn your beard white. Everyone who understands this problem is losing sleep at night, myself included.

Damn Wofsey, now you got me a little teary eyed. You really do care. I hope the Feds step up and buy a bunch of these and send em to Haiti.

Actually, now that I think of Haiti, does someone have Wei®d's sat phone number? Why doesn't the Mars Love Voyage stop in Haiti and drop off some leftover cheese and make those people some sprouts? MC, are you listening. Excellent chance to promote Reid and his art while giving donors even more bragging rights. How many cheese companies can say that their cheese drifted around the world for 1000 days and then went to feed hungry Haitians? And while he is there, he could introduce Jesus and Budha. Hungry Haitians could rub Budha's belly while wishing for more aid, oops wrong guy, and Jesus could turn newly desalinated water into wine which would certainly make just about everyone feel a tad bit better about the situation.

By the way Wofsey, has any real cruising sailor test driven the Sea Panel for any period of time on a real sometimes moving sailing vessel? If not, I might be willing to guinea pig up. :D

By the way Wofsey, has any real cruising sailor test driven the Sea Panel for any period of time on a real sometimes moving sailing vessel? If not, I might be willing to guinea pig up. :D

It's not meant for a moving vessel, it's meant for a moored vessel. It would probably work reasonably well on a moving vessel, but who feels comfortable locking up 12 square feet of critical deck space while underway? You fold it up and put it away when you're not on the mooring, like a Sunshower.

There are might be one or two cat sailors in Oz who use it underway, I'm not sure. They obviously have no issue with deck space though. We're making a new hanging one, smaller, to be hung from the rail, no deck space necessary.

Most of the sailors that buy them though seem to be more interested in using it as a backup to their osmotic watermakers and for land use in case of a natural disaster.

such as CScow's Belgian Tripel kicking Barley's Detroit Tripel's ass, the Redwings pretending to be something they're not (the Blackhawks), and MS Paint being vastly superior to wanna-be PhotoChop.

1. Not sure, you both might have to send a sample to me for my decision-making. Generally though, I've never met a Belgian that didn't love me long time.

2. Blackhawks kicking arse, Q found himself the perfect team. But if it comes down to Chicago and Colorado in the quarters or semis, I call Colorado. As for Detroit, they need to pull a bit harder to make it to the 8.

3. MS Paint is the Mac 26 of the digital editing world. There is nothing that can touch Photoshop for capabilities. Good Photoshop work is invisible, you've looked at it thousands and time and you had no idea you were looking at a digitally-manipulated photograph.

3. MS Paint is the Mac 26 of the digital editing world. There is nothing that can touch Photoshop for capabilities. Good Photoshop work is invisible, you've looked at it thousands and time and you had no idea you were looking at a digitally-manipulated photograph.

Sorry dude....but NOTHING (certainly not PhotoChop) quite catches the thrill of victory & agony of defeat like MS-Paint.

3455066490_5515464c7e.jpg

That said, your comparison to a Mac 26 is probably on target.....emphasis on agony of defeat.

• Like 1

It's not meant for a moving vessel, it's meant for a moored vessel. It would probably work reasonably well on a moving vessel, but who feels comfortable locking up 12 square feet of critical deck space while underway? You fold it up and put it away when you're not on the mooring, like a Sunshower.

There are might be one or two cat sailors in Oz who use it underway, I'm not sure. They obviously have no issue with deck space though. We're making a new hanging one, smaller, to be hung from the rail, no deck space necessary.

Most of the sailors that buy them though seem to be more interested in using it as a backup to their osmotic watermakers and for land use in case of a natural disaster.

Not that I've really followed this, but this sea panel thing is for water making?

What about taking a couple of jerry cans out in the tender?

Would it work in these moored conditions?

post-23282-1264937523_thumb.jpg

Don't stress cscow I'm sure the beer is helping in your colder months

Good response. Red's idea isn't entirely bad...you could probably be a profitable asshole lawyer if you put your mind to it. But if you even scratch the world's drinking water problem.....well, let's just say that puts Weed's MOO and other such "records" into proper perspective, in terms of significance and hard earned money potential.

For Weed's sake, just don't get into Mac debates with potential sailing desal customers. First impression counts. Stick with marketing themes we all can agree on, such as CScow's Belgian Tripel kicking Barley's Detroit Tripel's ass, the Redwings pretending to be something they're not (the Blackhawks), and MS Paint being vastly superior to wanna-be PhotoChop. With credibility firmly established, you can then slide into the finer points of your SEA Panel products, features and benefits, etc. to close the sale.

I would think the two Tripels would be very close, sharing some key things as they do. But that is just the first round of the battle, the Raspberry Chocolate Porter turned out very nicely again, and the Dopplebock and Triberry Wheat are in the fermenter with a couple more waiting in the wings. Speaking of Wings, don't count your cups until you earn one in the last forty years. Winning Lord Stanley's mug is a lot harder than beating the crap out of a sixty year old cab driver or pummeling the Columbus Blue Jackets on a regular basis. The Wings are finally getting healthy again and getting great goaltending from Jimmy Howard. Be afraid, my friend.

Wow Mike! In well under a year you knocked Seamad off sixth place with 690 posts and rapidly closing in on my long held 5th place.

Regatta Dog 2279

aseawolf 1665

JPlanet 1501

billy backstay 1163

swan70 781

mikewofsey 690

SeaMad 689

cscow 614

sailflat 564

redboat 542

pipsqueak 537

tabman 537

• Downvote 1

This is my first post on this thread and ive only checked in a few times but have been driven away by all the boring childish mean spirited bullshit posted by a bunch of a holes who havent done half what this guy has achieved in the sailing world even before he left on this trip. While i agree that it was a pointless venture so are most of the other record attempts such as the two kids circumnavigating the globe right now but i guess as a boat builder i have a greater appreciation of a guy who designs and builds his own boat and then goes out and cruises it. Most of you guys have no idea what is involved in actually building a boat,and his is a huge boat so as an amature designer/builder he beat the odds just to complete it. Now i see lots of folks criticize his boat as being slow (its not a racer) being ferro cement,but hey,this ferro boat has just done something no boat of any material has ever achieved so maybe its not as bad as you think,he must have encounted some bad weather in 1000 days (if not he has to be a brilliant weather router) and the boat didnt fall apart. As i said i havnt read many pages of this thread so maybe this has been mentioned but the boat was featured in the beautiful coffee table book "classic yacht interiors" on page 120 and while its not my taste it is actually quite nice,( way nicer than the 4ksbs that most on this forum sail)

So,in summary,the guy designs and builds a 70ft schooner,lives on it,operates it as a charter boat in the caribbean,then spends 1000 days at sea unassisted while most of us sail our 4ksbs that someone else built and then sit behind a computer and criticize him, hmmm. I for one am happy to extend my congratulations to Reid for actually doing what he said he was going to do and even though he is not a cute 16 yr old girl he has my respect.

Steve.

This is my first post on this thread and ive only checked in a few times but have been driven away by all the boring childish mean spirited bullshit posted by a bunch of a holes who havent done half what this guy has achieved in the sailing world even before he left on this trip. While i agree that it was a pointless venture so are most of the other record attempts such as the two kids circumnavigating the globe right now but i guess as a boat builder i have a greater appreciation of a guy who designs and builds his own boat and then goes out and cruises it. Most of you guys have no idea what is involved in actually building a boat,and his is a huge boat so as an amature designer/builder he beat the odds just to complete it. Now i see lots of folks criticize his boat as being slow (its not a racer) being ferro cement,but hey,this ferro boat has just done something no boat of any material has ever achieved so maybe its not as bad as you think,he must have encounted some bad weather in 1000 days (if not he has to be a brilliant weather router) and the boat didnt fall apart. As i said i havnt read many pages of this thread so maybe this has been mentioned but the boat was featured in the beautiful coffee table book "classic yacht interiors" on page 120 and while its not my taste it is actually quite nice,( way nicer than the 4ksbs that most on this forum sail)

So,in summary,the guy designs and builds a 70ft schooner,lives on it,operates it as a charter boat in the caribbean,then spends 1000 days at sea unassisted while most of us sail our 4ksbs that someone else built and then sit behind a computer and criticize him, hmmm. I for one am happy to extend my congratulations to Reid for actually doing what he said he was going to do and even though he is not a cute 16 yr old girl he has my respect.

Steve.

Yes, the interior pictures from "classic yacht interiors" have been posted on this thread.

Yes, Most, if not all of us are impressed by the fact that Reid's boat was built in his parents back yard.

No, not many 4ksbs's in this crowd.

No, not many 'a holes' on this thread, however it looks like we just got one.

• Downvote 1
Not that I've really followed this, but this sea panel thing is for water making?

What about taking a couple of jerry cans out in the tender?

Would it work in these moored conditions?

post-23282-1264937523_thumb.jpg

Don't stress cscow I'm sure the beer is helping in your colder months

Is one of those your cat?

Jerry can in the dinghy is a good way to do it. On some islands in the Carrib and South America they charge 50¢ per gallon for coliform-infected water, and then you have the added insult of having to burn up extra fuel bringing stuff back to your mooring that you can't drink without first burning up more fuel again by boiling first. It's good for showers but not for drinking.

Our little unit only makes 2 gallons per day, so it's sort of a luxury item for people who want want bottle-quality water for drinking and cooking and have deck space to spare but prefer solar living to firing up their engines and their osmosis watermaker. Tiny, tiny niche.

We originally tested it on a gimbal rig in very extreme pitch and roll, there was no problem with contamination. The only way we were able to contaminate it by even a few droplets was by banging it hard on a roll, as if your boat was rolling hard into the dock. But unlike contaminated tap water, ocean water is bacteriologically-safe, the salt kills the worst of the nasties, and then once it's been in the sun for an hour or so the interior heats up above 120-degrees which pasteurizes the source water anyway.

As for field testing, the results have been similar, they're guaranteed and we haven't had any returns or complaints yet.

But our main thing has never been sailors, it's primarily for disaster recovery and Developing Nations. The sailing thing is just a niche of a niche, only applicable for less than 1% of cruising sailors. Same thing with soldiers. Most soldiers have access to base (osmosis) supplies, and our thing only fits when there are one or two guys who just happen to know they're going to be in one place for a while, far from supplies. It happens only rarely ... Australian soldiers though, different story, they're usually around salt water, and they often use the British method of one or two guys who quietly dig in and observe for a while. So maybe we'll be able to sell some to them.

Steve.

Several problems, Steve. First off, Anne is not ferro cement, it is ferralite over steel wire mesh. Second, Stowe has NOT done what he said he would, from four planned circumnavigations to scientific experiments to space analogous research. Third, of course it isn't a race boat, but even a loaded, foul bottom schooner should be able to make better than 20 miles a day. Stowe isn't sailing, he is drifting around in circles in a temperate Atlantic zone, trying to preserve what is left of the boat. Third, he hasn't spent 1,000 days at sea unassisted. Soanya was on the boat for 306 days, and he was assisted when she left, pregnant, off Oz. Fourth, you have no idea what the capabilites of the people criticizing him are.

Most fleets the world over are populated by more 4ksbs than anything else sad to say so no exception on this thread. I should have realized that the a hole comment would make them defensive,sorry,i shoulnt have put it in there.

Steve.

Wow Mike! In well under a year you knocked Seamad off sixth place with 690 posts and rapidly closing in on my long held 5th place.

I think my drunken, incoherent rants in PA may have skewed the stats.

But the fact that you bothered to spreadsheet post statistics is both troubling and strangely inspiring. Did you find something else in that Jefferson staircase?

Dalton-Hand-Crank-Adding-Machine.gif

Most fleets the world over are populated by more 4ksbs than anything else sad to say so no exception on this thread. I should have realized that the a hole comment would make them defensive,sorry,i shoulnt have put it in there.

Steve.

I'm proud of my preference for the 4kSB. Why is everyone in such a hurry to get to the dock bar?

The reason they are ubiquitous is because they feel right. They're the perfect speed for rapid intoxication but without the added stress of knowing that the boat performs better than the owner.

I think my drunken, incoherent rants in PA may have skewed the stats.

But the fact that you bothered to spreadsheet post statistics is both troubling and strangely inspiring. Did you find something else in that Jefferson staircase?

Dalton-Hand-Crank-Adding-Machine.gif

Cut and paste Mike, nothing more.

• Downvote 1

Steve.

I'm proud of my preference for the 4kSB. Why is everyone in such a hurry to get to the dock bar?

The reason they are ubiquitous is because they feel right. They're the perfect speed for rapid intoxication but without the added stress of knowing that the boat performs better than the owner.

Nothing wrong with a leisurely 4k cruise, just rather not be doing it in a shit box.

• Downvote 1

Steve.

Sorry Steve, not speaking for anyone else in this forum, the thing about this whole fiasco from the start that sticks in my craw, is that advertising and support dollars are tough enough to come by in our sport as it is. When someone advertises himself as something which he/she CLEARLY is not, it makes it THAT much more difficult for truly worthwhile endeavours to receive or solicit funding.

If you'll check the internet wayback machine archives, the "Mission Statement" goal was to circumnavigate FOUR times, with scientific instrumentation and documentation throughout the length of the "voyage". This did NOT happen, nor anything even close to resembling it. ("We have no way to measure the temperature of the water, but we do have a thermometer on our clock...")

...And as Barleymalt succintly said above, has been thusfar able to save the crippled schooner ONLY by finding the most benign area available to drift for the last seven months.

</RANT>

(EDIT) If you'd like more details from the 1000days website archives, PM me. I have loads.

(EDIT EDIT) Onya Swanny.

Go the Wendy

1000_Days___Lets_Do_It_.htm

• Like 1

Steve.

Sorry Steve, not speaking for anyone else in this forum, the thing about this whole fiasco from the start that sticks in my craw, is that advertising and support dollars are tough enough to come by in our sport as it is. When someone advertises himself as something which he/she CLEARLY is not, it makes it THAT much more difficult for truly worthwhile endeavours to receive or solicit funding.

If you'll check the internet wayback machine archives, the "Mission Statement" goal was to circumnavigate FOUR times, with scientific instrumentation and documentation throughout the length of the "voyage". This did NOT happen, nor anything even close to resembling it. ("We have no way to measure the temperature of the water, but we do have a thermometer on our clock...")

</RANT>

+1

In other words, Reid and 'The Mars Ocean Odyssey Oddity' are an embarrassment to the sailing community.

• Downvote 1

Then that's even more disturbing ... you mean our posting stats are available for public viewing?

As in anyone can see how much time I waste here, including my boss? Where are these stats posted?

Nothing wrong with a leisurely 4k cruise, just rather not be doing it in a shit box.

All hail the power of the shit box!

1. No insane bank loan,

2. No worries in hurricane season,

3. No worries about ice crushing the hull if you leave it in the water,

4. No problem with machining replacement parts out of scrap stainless,

5. You can fill it up with conveniences like a coffeemaker, ice-grinder, useless junk, plenty of canned food and even a keg of beer, and still not worry about limiting your cruising speed.

I can see from photos of your house that you are man that appreciates the finer things in life, but sometimes the finer things come wrapped in a veneer of osmotic blistering, bent toe-rails and dock rash.

<br />
<br /><br />Then that's even more disturbing ... you mean our posting stats are available for public viewing?<br /><br />As in anyone can see how much time I waste here, including my boss? Where are these stats posted?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Click on the replies counter for any thread and it will give you a list of number of posts..There are also reports of posts by day, total posts, etc.

Then that's even more disturbing ... you mean our posting stats are available for public viewing?

As in anyone can see how much time I waste here, including my boss? Where are these stats posted?

Mike, calm down, you didn't even make the top 20 list today.

Member ................Joined................. Total Member Posts............. Posts Today................... % of today's posts

~Stingray~ 29-November 09 1540 38 2.74%

Oneyoti 24-September 09 468 28 2.02%

MR.CLEAN 6-June 05 22073 25 1.80%

Dixie 15-August 05 1325 22 1.59%

MoeAlfa 10-February 06 6746 21 1.51%

ccruiser 3-December 07 875 21 1.51%

InNeedOfSomeRestraint 4-October 07 2991 18 1.30%

Estar 3-December 05 985 16 1.15%

dacapo 22-May 06 2681 16 1.15%

swan70 27-September 07 2958 16 1.15%

BalticBandit 17-March 04 6979 15 1.08%

Gouvernail 14-August 06 9024 14 1.01%

Tony_F18 18-May 07 708 13 0.94%

SW Sailor 20-December 07 3449 13 0.94%

Tom Ray 22-December 08 1740 13 0.94%

DA-WOODY 30-April 04 11373 12 0.87%

Mark K 9-July 04 12035 12 0.87%

Sol Rosenberg 24-February 05 24260 12 0.87%

DRTB 1-July 09 2376 12 0.87%

seadog14 28-August 07 462 11 0.79%

• Downvote 1

Steve.

</RANT>

+1

In other words, Reid and 'The Mars Ocean Odyssey Oddity' are an embarrassment to the sailing community.

Precisely my point all along. This guy is embarrassing AND he is really a hazard to navigation. As a full time cruiser, I have rethunk my desire to go north to NYC when he returns. I could be on watch off of say Cape May, down below mixing up an almost ready to go off watch beverage, when BAMM there he is... Does he have radar reflectors? Radar? AIS? Does he run lights? Does he monitor the international channel 16? I haven't seen any evidence of any of this, hence my firm belief that while this guy has amassed a lot of sea time, and he built his boat, yeah, yeah, yeah, but that the US Coast Guard should be notified when he enters US territorial waters and should escort him to the nearest port for his own good and for ours.

I quibble not with the rest of the claims like being assisted or being withing sight of land et al... He drifted around the world. Big deal. My ancestors did it sans Sat Phone and wood stove and engines, solar panels, yadadada... Sail from Denmark to Maine in an open boat and tell me about it.

Mike Wofsey of Alabama who posts here at Sailing Anarchy espousing the value of Macgreggors and Wei®d, what have I been trying to tell you all along - MR. I post under my real name and I enforce some internet law no one here cares about? I google every employee and you would be surprised what I find.

1. No insane bank loan,

5. You can fill it up with conveniences like a coffeemaker, ice-grinder, useless junk, plenty of canned food and even a keg of beer, and still not worry about limiting your cruising speed.

I can see from photos of your house that you are man that appreciates the finer things in life, but sometimes the finer things come wrapped in a veneer of osmotic blistering, bent toe-rails and dock rash.

4ksb move even slower when you load them up. Start off with an old school IOR boat that will cost you anywhere from $50-150K as we did and then do 6.5 knots in 14 knots of wind loaded up with everything you need. No bank loan. No worries in hurricane season - never buy a boat you can't afford to lose.

I google every employee and you would be surprised what I find.

nosy bastard.

Yeah, but better than finding out after the fact that you hired Cliffy and he spends 18 hours a week here while paying him six digits plus health and dental, plus employer portion of FICA and FED. Kapeesh?

1. No insane bank loan,

Here you go Mike, all you need is a sail and rudder.

346_full.jpg

• Downvote 1

1. No insane bank loan,

Here you go Mike, all you need is a sail and rudder.

346_full.jpg

+1 Swannie, but it still won't shut him up. Now he'll find a better shitbox than yours to babble on about for post after post.

• Downvote 1

nosy bastard.

Yeah, but better than finding out after the fact that you hired Cliffy and he spends 18 hours a week here while paying him six digits plus health and dental, plus employer portion of FICA and FED. Kapeesh?

So you hire people who are nervous enough about their true intentions to cover their tracks with multiple aliases and apparently want to work for someone who snoops around their personal life?

And you have success with this method?

How many people do you employ?

Also, you write that you "Google every employee" and "surprised" by what you find. Why do you hire them in the first place if that's the case?

I dunno Red, I think my method is better. I hire people who have no problem telling me to "fuck off" and no problem beating me in a bike race and I keep my nose out of their personal business. The death of the U.S. corporation is lockstep sycophancy and minds so petrified that they no longer know how to do their job fast enough to waste a good amount of time.

• Downvote 1

Hey Mike,

If your sea panel can double as a Yoga platform you can put me down for one.

Honestly, I hope you do well with your product.

Also please don't beat swanies 5th place because he'll start posting pics of his house here ;)

Out

nosy bastard.

So you hire people who are nervous enough about their true intentions to cover their tracks with multiple aliases and apparently want to work for someone who snoops around their personal life?

And you have success with this method?

How many people do you employ?

Also, you write that you "Google every employee" and "surprised" by what you find. Why do you hire them in the first place if that's the case?

I dunno Red, I think my method is better. I hire people who have no problem telling me to "fuck off" and no problem beating me in a bike race and I keep my nose out of their personal business. The death of the U.S. corporation is lockstep sycophancy and minds so petrified that they no longer know how to do their job fast enough to waste a good amount of time.

I should have wrote prospective employee, once I hire them and all is well, I have no need to google anything. SOP in Corp America FYI - which is why I have been trying to give you a heads up for months now smart ass. And if you don't care, why did you worry about your "boss" being able to access your stats? Am I successful? Let's put it this way Cliffy, one of us is sitting in Alabama - landlocked, and one of us is out cruising/sailing at the tender age of 44.

If you are so stupid as to NOT cover your tracks with your wasting time Cliffy antics, then you will probably not be the right person to cover my ass and make me money. What part of this do you not understand? Why are Reid's supporters so, I don't know - idealistic hippyish? Note the advertisers on SA's main page - we are a demographic that buys Mercedes, invests money, and buys boats and gear becasue we are typically a successful lot. We either came from or are in Corp America or we benefit from the successes tallied via investments. Get a grip. I assume you too work every day such that you too can achieve some piece of the American dream? Otherwise, go build some .5 knot shit box and beg for cheese and sprouts and drift around the world while ignoring your kids and the expected tuition costs - Boston University is up to 80K a year FYI...

And perhaps you have had your ass so buried in your desal project that you failed to notice that the American work ethic no longer exists - which is why we had to bail out every freaking major company in this country except Ford and Microsoft. We don't make anything in this country anymore because we are too lazy to work an honest day. Even French President Sarcozy encouraged the French to give up the 3 hour lunch. Sorry, this ain't your fathers Oldsmobile era - oh wait, they too (the oldest surviving car company in America) went out of business.

Steve.

</RANT>

+1

Precisely my point all along. This guy is embarrassing AND he is really a hazard to navigation. As a full time cruiser, I have rethunk my desire to go north to NYC when he returns. I could be on watch off of say Cape May, down below mixing up an almost ready to go off watch beverage, when BAMM there he is... Does he have radar reflectors? Radar? AIS? Does he run lights? Does he monitor the international channel 16? I haven't seen any evidence of any of this, hence my firm belief that while this guy has amassed a lot of sea time, and he built his boat, yeah, yeah, yeah, but that the US Coast Guard should be notified when he enters US territorial waters and should escort him to the nearest port for his own good and for ours.

I quibble not with the rest of the claims like being assisted or being withing sight of land et al... He drifted around the world. Big deal. My ancestors did it sans Sat Phone and wood stove and engines, solar panels, yadadada... Sail from Denmark to Maine in an open boat and tell me about it.

-----

FakeViking is as off target when he suggests staying away from NY waters so Reid and Anne won't hit him upon return from the 1000 days of sailing, as he was when he expressed the dangerously ignorant notion of out running any and all weather by having a faster boat. These 7 knt fiberglass sleek hulls are all very unlike the relatively slow, 60+ ton and built for the heavy weather Schooner Anne Stowe sails upon, built in great part by his own hands. The statistical chance of Reid running into him while he (vikingthereddened) admits going off watch down below to make an (adult) beverage, are even less than being able to outrun the weather (cause you can do that sometimes) and much less than Obama's like-ability polls ever coming back near 100%. The often expressed desultory accusation of drifting around the world and never sailing made against the hapless though very likeable Stowe, is quite simply as stupid as it is ignorant and impossibly wrong. All you drifters may now come and likewise express your similarly shortsighted and ignorantly aggressive condemnation- just please make it entertaining. By the way the idea that little known Stowe takes away from monies that might be available to promote sailing otherwise, is yet another one of the truly dumb assertions on this pollyannaish web shit/ beginning with he'll never leave the dock, he'll never make it, he'll kill soanya ad infinitum.

Steve, if go back to occasionally monitoring this insanity:

You will likely find little or no reasonableness, even keeled responses, nor sympathy from or for anyone if indeed you make the mistake of ever attempting to defend or express positive sentiment here as regards one very different and very tainted sailor extraordinaire named Stowe. If only he had been less of a bigmouth who never attempted to walk a line of non-truthiness, more responsible in life towards family and friends, he may even have received a better reception from this frighteningly mad crowd so in love to dump their shit they cannot smell on everything and everyone butt themselves. It all starts from the top and works its way on down, before it gets flushed right back into the big bleu sea. A sea upon which sails the object of their extreme disaffection- still, while we sit at home at keyboards typing drivel into the cybernothing-ness. Who in reality is out there sailing, and who is not? He surely won't be drifting home to New York now, will he? And how many of you who condemn the man have ever even attempted to sail from off the coast of West Africa to NYC, let alone after a circumnavigation and living aboard and maintaining any size sailing vessel virtually alone for two plus years and running? Kudos anyone, or simply a loud and old further chorus of boos?

Steve.

</RANT>

+1

-----

FakeViking is as off target when he suggests staying away from NY waters so Reid and Anne won't hit him upon return from the 1000 days of sailing, as he was when he expressed the dangerously ignorant notion of out running any and all weather by having a faster boat. These 7 knt fiberglass sleek hulls are all very unlike the relatively slow, 60+ ton and built for the heavy weather Schooner Anne Stowe sails upon, built in great part by his own hands. The statistical chance of Reid running into him while he (vikingthereddened) admits going off watch down below to make an (adult) beverage, are even less than being able to outrun the weather (cause you can do that sometimes) and much less than Obama's like-ability polls ever coming back near 100%. The often expressed desultory accusation of drifting around the world and never sailing made against the hapless though very likeable Stowe, is quite simply as stupid as it is ignorant and impossibly wrong. All you drifters may now come and likewise express your similarly shortsighted and ignorantly aggressive condemnation- just please make it entertaining. By the way the idea that little known Stowe takes away from monies that might be available to promote sailing otherwise, is yet another one of the truly dumb assertions on this pollyannaish web shit/ beginning with he'll never leave the dock, he'll never make it, he'll kill soanya ad infinitum.

Steve, if go back to occasionally monitoring this insanity:

You will likely find little or no reasonableness, even keeled responses, nor sympathy from or for anyone if indeed you make the mistake of ever attempting to defend or express positive sentiment here as regards one very different and very tainted sailor extraordinaire named Stowe. If only he had been less of a bigmouth who never attempted to walk a line of non-truthiness, more responsible in life towards family and friends, he may even have received a better reception from this frighteningly mad crowd so in love to dump their shit they cannot smell on everything and everyone butt themselves. It all starts from the top and works its way on down, before it gets flushed right back into the big bleu sea. A sea upon which sails the object of their extreme disaffection- still, while we sit at home at keyboards typing drivel into the cybernothing-ness. Who in reality is out there sailing, and who is not? He surely won't be drifting home to New York now, will he? And how many of you who condemn the man have ever even attempted to sail from off the coast of West Africa to NYC, let alone after a circumnavigation and living aboard and maintaining any size sailing vessel virtually alone for two plus years and running? Kudos anyone, or simply a loud and old further chorus of boos?

Perhaps if you post anything other than shit slinging vitriolic diatribes that stretch the limits of comprehension you might find positive sentiment. Ironic that you are the worst example of what you complain so vehemently about. Void Ho, Biatch.