• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

Zimmerit. It's the German version of Bondo.

In Australia the common term for "Bondo" is "Bog". Bog is also the slang term for the toilet as in "I am going to the Bog", or "I just had a Bog". Seems appropriate for the "Anne" doesn't it - Shit, oops, Ship made from Bog" (I wonder if "Bog" is non reflective of radar?)

The theory of the transmitter in an inner-tube floating about is, however, believable.

Or ...... not unbelievable, no.

Fact 1: Metocean equipment is rebooting itself numerous times a day due to a low power condition

2007-10-16 00:49:41 2007-10-15 21:49:41 ADT -6.96242 -23.51856 I:0 - V:9.6 - P:ON

2007-10-15 13:01:07 2007-10-15 10:01:07 ADT -6.2946 -23.18546 I:0 - V:9.6 - P:ON

2007-10-15 13:01:06 2007-10-15 10:01:06 ADT -6.2946 -23.18546 I:0 - V:9.6 - P:ON

2007-10-15 13:01:04 2007-10-15 10:01:04 ADT -6.29451 -23.1854 I:0 - V:9.6 - P:ON

2007-10-15 13:01:03 2007-10-15 10:01:03 ADT -6.29451 -23.1854 I:0 - V:9.6 - P:ON

2007-10-15 13:01:01 2007-10-15 10:01:01 ADT -6.29451 -23.1854 I:0 - V:9.5 - P:ON

2007-10-15 13:00:58 2007-10-15 10:00:58 ADT -6.29444 -23.18535 I:0 - V:9.5 - P:ON

Mettrac for reference to equipment. The unit has an external backup battery which only preserves data but doesn't run the unit.

Fact 2: Engine/starter troubles on blog.

Someone has already pointed out a clicking solenoid can be indicative of a low voltage condition. I'm assuming there is a charge/discharge regime for the batteries ..... also assuming he has house battery/cranking battery isolation. Surely he doesn't run the whole boat off one battery, or discharge all batteries without preserving a dedicated cranking battery for the donk?

I wire brushed all the battery connections, starter switch and connections to the starter motor. After almost half a year at sea, some of them had a little rust. I sprayed CRC on everything. Then I jiggled them to see if they were tight, which they all were, except some of the battery fittings which had somehow loosened up a bit.

Belting terminals? Fast way to cause mechanical failure between the battery post and plates. Or break pieces off the starter solenoid housing! Did not his electrical guru, who wired the tub, provide and explain the use of dielectric grease in harsh environments?

I'm not heavy handed. I just gave them a little test with a wrench. When I tested the big positive nut on the starter solenoid (Delco Remy Starter Motor, Detroit Diesel 453 motor) I cracked the plastic cover.

'Loosen terminal, clean, apply tune-up grease and assemble'? Not 'belt with blunt object'! CRC is for when you have a problem, not for preventing one.

big positive nut on the starter

I'm hiding under the desk. Swinging a steel spanner off the live positive solenoid terminal with a nice BIG negative engine all around it to short to ...........

Trying to turn over the motor on low battery voltage WILL burn out the starter motor.

How often is the winch used? It would take a solar array much, much larger than fitted to replenish the charge drawn by that baby. Is he using the trawl generator? Is 3-5 knots sufficient to generate a charge from the trawl generator? Is 3-5 knots boat speed, or SOG? If they're floating with the current .....? Alternator running from the prop shaft? With a whole eco-system resident on the prop and water furiously whooshing past the hull at a blistering 3 knots?

Fact 3: How old are the batteries? How far preceding departure were the batteries donated and were the batteries used substantially prior to eviction departure? Not using a lead-acid battery can be harmful to the battery. The plates will sulphate up which normal usage of deep discharge/ recharge prevents happening.

I have no expectation for boofhead to know some of this shit. His actions confirm that. I am rephrasing and condensing some of the above and will post it on that blog (of course, if it actually makes it through) as constructive advice. AND I will clearly identify WHO I am and WHERE I come from.

Facts found from their own site:

Eco-Tech Alternators

Eco-Tech have the unique features of extremely high output and unmatched alternator efficiency. The Schooner Anne is employing their 305-I, the world's premier Permanent Magnet Alternator, to generate high amperage from low RPM "freewheeling"on her propshaft without engine power. Echo has provided us with superior technical support in implementing their alternator in our application through Paul Sailon, of Sailon Electric of NY. http://eco-techalternators.com

FOURWINDS

Fourwinds has been a boating industry standard alternative energy supplier (wind, water and sun) for over 20 years. Their trawl fitting has powered the Schooner Anne for 15 years, and their products have long been a favorite of the skipper for their durability. Thanks to Paul Mancuzzo, for making Fourwinds move again, reliably and faithfully, as always! www.fourwinds-ii.com

ImageOPTIMA® Batteries

Optima has provided advanced battery power to the fishing, boating and sailing markets. Rough waters and advanced electrical systems place tough demands on a boat, requiring a durable and reliable power source. OPTIMA BlueTop™ batteries were designed with these conditions in mind, offering long-lasting batteries with increased reserve capacity and superior performance throughout many cycles, to sailors with demanding electrical needs. www.optimabatteries.com

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/bluetop.php

So why is he suffering discharge issues ........ (I know, I know ......) if the above is installed correctly? We have been told they only use the laptop briefly each day due to fear of excessive power drain.

You can't prove a negative. ass. hat.

So what happened then Capt Arsewipe?

Up to 2007-10-07, they were making some way, after this date, something has been drifting? just look at the tracks.

Prove it ain't bullshit; prove they are on the Anne and they didn't get taken off at that point? prove their tracking system is still on the Anne not on a raft with a couple of batteries wired up to the solar cells!

You can't.. the whole show is bullshit.

Ok. here goes...I have been sailing/racing/cruising for 36 years, so I think that gives me some credibility. I have logged over 10,000 sea miles (big whoop). I have my 100 ton Master (big whoop).

I stumbled across this forum and before I go further I can tell you that I am as off the wall funny as many of you. I have laughed at the posts and enjoyed some of the quick reparte' (sp)? going back and forth between posters, HOWEVER, many of you need to get a life or go sailing or get a mate or a hobby and get off the keyboard. Go for a walk or something! I can easily separate the humor from the anger I read in the posts and the lines are blurring.

The fuck and the cunt and I could go on with many other endearing words I have read is adolescent. If you are 16 years old, I get it. If you are older it's sad. It's NOT funny, just sad. Granted, Reid is an idiot. Ok we all know that. Any posts after that is a waste of time. I get that you all have no life beyond sitting in front of the computer and nothing I say will change your thinking. You will read this and bash me forever, inviting me to defend myself and play this stupid game. No thank you. Some of you will look for spelling errors to point out, others will try to guess who I am, yet others will taunt me with obsenities.

I have always found the sailing community to be people from all walks and continents that share a common sport in CLEAN, good fun, honest with a corinthian spirit. I want to thank you all for showing me the other side. The side I have never seen or wish to. May our courses never cross.

Ok, that's it. Now get typing those intelligent responses.

I was serious.

Fucking serious.

So what happened then Capt Arsewipe?

Up to 2007-10-07, they were making some way, after this date, something has been drifting? just look at the tracks.

Prove it ain't bullshit; prove they are on the Anne and they didn't get taken off at that point? prove their tracking system is still on the Anne not on a raft with a couple of batteries wired up to the solar cells!

You can't.. the whole show is bullshit.

Hello fuckstick.

Here's their metocean track from most recent and from two months ago.

That's no random drift track, shit for brains.

how does an innertube, or what the fuck, drift 90 degrees to the wind for hundreds of miles?

Thanks for playing. Get a clue.

post-22316-1192534616_thumb.png

actually - according to the rules of mathamatics - multiple positives do not prove something true - but one negative can prove something false

This is life, not mathematics.

Please prove to me that nobody reading this thread got my joke (above) about the zimmerit.

Please prove to me that nobody here knows what zimmerit was?

Talk about no sense of humor...but that would require intelligence, wouldn't it?

Or would it?

Hello fuckstick.

Here's their metocean track from most recent and from two months ago.

That's no random drift track, shit for brains.

how does an innertube, or what the fuck, drift 90 degrees to the wind for hundreds of miles?

Thanks for playing. Get a clue.

hmmmmm - good question. Oh, wait - I know - hang a little weight from it and stick it in the current?

oh gosh, Captain - please don't hit me with all those foul words you keep so at the ready. It's hurtful and psychologically damaging. I so want you to like me. Please???

This is life, not mathematics.

Please prove to me that nobody reading this thread got my joke (above) about the zimmerit.

Please prove to me that nobody here knows what zimmerit was?

Talk about no sense of humor...but that would require intelligence, wouldn't it?

Or would it?

Gee - a smart guy like you is still trying to figure out how to leave? Even after so many people explained? It's easy but you need to remember one safety issue as you exit - don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Some of the earlier news pieces mention a French fiancee. She must have dumped him, and I think Weid even mentions on his website that he thought of doing the journey solo (hence, the electrical winch).

Perhaps he meant Electrical Wench .... and he got a miserable winch instead. He was already accessorized with Squawk to help him deal with the Electrical Wench.

I have always found the sailing community to be people from all walks and continents that share a common sport in CLEAN, good fun, honest with a corinthian spirit. I want to thank you all for showing me the other side. The side I have never seen or wish to. May our courses never cross.

Does Mr Clean know you are sharing him for sport?. Is Mer involved in this sport too?

Ok. here goes...I have been sailing/racing/cruising for 36 years, so I think that gives me some credibility. I have logged over 10,000 sea miles (big whoop). I have my 100 ton Master (big whoop).

I stumbled across this forum and before I go further I can tell you that I am as off the wall funny as many of you. I have laughed at the posts and enjoyed some of the quick reparte' (sp)? going back and forth between posters, HOWEVER, many of you need to get a life or go sailing or get a mate or a hobby and get off the keyboard. Go for a walk or something! I can easily separate the humor from the anger I read in the posts and the lines are blurring.

The fuck and the cunt and I could go on with many other endearing words I have read is adolescent. If you are 16 years old, I get it. If you are older it's sad. It's NOT funny, just sad. Granted, Reid is an idiot. Ok we all know that. Any posts after that is a waste of time. I get that you all have no life beyond sitting in front of the computer and nothing I say will change your thinking. You will read this and bash me forever, inviting me to defend myself and play this stupid game. No thank you. Some of you will look for spelling errors to point out, others will try to guess who I am, yet others will taunt me with obsenities.

Riddle me this Batman.

How do you add an intelligent response to an insane act?

Sailors like Reid really tick me off. They don't want anyone to tell them anything yet they head off into deep water woefully unprepared. Then they put lives at risk trying to rescue them. So Reid - the guy who knows everything, is an experienced sailor, has been in the southern ocean so many times, yadda yadda yadda - heads out and then has to ask how to fix a cracked cover on a solenoid, how to fish, how to treat water and so on. Come on! He's no self sufficient been there done that sailor - he's a dreamer and an idiot. Look at his Antarctic photos - he had crew - lots of crew. Probably paying crew so they had parts, protein and the power needed to sail that boat.

And if Reid is so experienced why can't he answer Soanya's questions - what is that fish, what is that star, what's that glowy stuff in the water? Too bad someone didn't donate the Nigel Calder book, a tube of 5200 and some JB Weld to Reid instead of 200 lbs of wheat kernels suitable for grinding not growing. And for sure he has electrical problems - that winch would just suck his batteries and short of running the engine daily, he doesn't have any systems capable of providing the overall power he needs for his electronics and the electric winch. And doing 3 knots is not going to put anything into the batteries via any shaft or towed water generators and the output from solar panels is extremely variable.

Predictably another major component of the vessel is compromised.

If Anne doesn't head to port I hope they at least have the sense to head back north after proceeding no deeper than 30-35 degrees south. Do loops of the South Atlantic until the end whenever that will be, certainly not after 1000 days. If they are swept East of the Cape of Good Hope they will never return to NY. That vessel, especially after a few extra hundred days of deterioration would never make it around the Horn.

Amazed how the blog entries Jesse allows offer no concern or urge caution. Where are the friends, the skilled sailors who supported this effort and must at least now we aware of the tragedy that sadly seems to be unfolding?

Regarding the lies in the "Praying to the Diesel Gods" entry...

Call me conspiratorial, but... :lol:

Did anyone notice, this entry was one of the few without "Soanya's View" that usually accompanies?

Here is what I think. You know you can setup most blogs so you can publish automatically by sending an email, even with pictures. I suspect Weed & Ho have been doing this. Now, normally, when they contribute to the same post, it is very likely they both read each others input when they post together (wording of previous posts even suggests so).

Do you think Weed snuck this blog entry out without Soanya's knowledge? Perhaps because...

a- weed is starting to build up the next con for his audience so he can justify making an "emergency" landfall as they approach South America.

b- the diesel really is screwed, but weed is keeping this from Soanya, for whatever reason (like to keep her from going bonkers on his ass)

c- some other reason? (anyone?)

One may ask why would he do this, but think about it. It would certainly fit the Weed personality profile that has formed on this thread (with hard evidence I might add).

Is that a typo, or have you actually managed to log 10,000 sea miles in 36 years? I'm not exactly math-smart, but I can count to 20, as long as I'm barefoot(21, if I'm naked.) Even so, if I do a little long division, you've managed to log something like 277.77777(with alot more 7's) miles per year? At Cheeseship Anne's hull speed, that's about 93 hours of offshore time per year. How do you manage to find the time? And how on earth did the Coasties award you a Masters, rated all the way to 100 tons, no less? Boogerhead.

Is that a typo, or have you actually managed to log 10,000 sea miles in 36 years? I'm not exactly math-smart, but I can count to 20, as long as I'm barefoot(21, if I'm naked.) Even so, if I do a little long division, you've managed to log something like 277.77777(with alot more 7's) miles per year? At Cheeseship Anne's hull speed, that's about 93 hours of offshore time per year. How do you manage to find the time? And how on earth did the Coasties award you a Masters, rated all the way to 100 tons, no less? Boogerhead.

In all fairness, I don't think that's too much of a stretch.

I know guys who have been doing the Marblehead to Halifax ocean race since they were kids. Throw in Newport to Bermuda in the off years, and they would have surpassed 10000 miles in 36 years, even with taking a year off here or there.

Taking our friend at face value (I know, very un-Anarchist of me), I am just disappointed that he is not sharing his insights into this voyage, and of course, his self-identified great sense of humour with us.

In all fairness, I don't think that's too much of a stretch.

I know guys who have been doing the Marblehead to Halifax ocean race since they were kids. Throw in Newport to Bermuda in the off years, and they would have surpassed 10000 miles in 36 years, even with taking a year off here or there.

Taking our friend at face value (I know, very un-Anarchist of me), I am just disappointed that he is not sharing his insights into this voyage, and of course, his self-identified great sense of humour with us.

Nauti-

I think you need a little more coffee this morning. I took him at face value, and was mocking him. 277 miles is less than a Chi-Mac. Or a Trans-Stupidity. Or a Huron-Mac. Or a BVI-Antigua delivery for raceweek. If we assume he's actually crossed a large body of water, say, the Atlantic, then it's more like 3k miles in one trip, and less than 200 a year for the rest. If he was to establish credibility, he probably should have just stuck with the 36 years and the Masters.

To all of you who Reid-hovians who criticize us for mocking their journey, just take a look at that picture of Weid frigging praying to the audience in To the Lord Who Fixes Diesel Engines. He is the most devious, manulapitive bastard I have witnesses...the satellite evangelist of the Schooner Anne, and he is mocking the crap out of all of his supporters. I can't wait to see what his avid followers have to say.

One of the things that has bothered me since the beginning of his ramblings is his lack of knowledge of the skies. I figured all sailors who sail the oceans for long periods of time know all the constellaltions by sight. But Sayonara has repeatedly said she wishes she knew what she was looking at. I lived in Tahoe for awhile and when you looked at the night sky you could pick out the constellations without a book/map because when all their stars are visible to the naked eye you can't not know what they are! So they are looking at the heavens in the cleanest air around and he can't tell her what she's seeing? He claims he sailed with Moitessier...you're not going to tell me HE didn't know the night skies?

And Sayonara, it's a frigging METEORITE, not a shooting star! Get it right.

And Weid is supposedly has a friend named Carter who has something to do with the Hayden Planetarium and they didn't send him off with a sky chart...

NOTHING MAKES SENSE! :angry:

Nauti-

I think you need a little more coffee this morning. I took him at face value, and was mocking him. 277 miles is less than a Chi-Mac. Or a Trans-Stupidity. Or a Huron-Mac. Or a BVI-Antigua delivery for raceweek. If we assume he's actually crossed a large body of water, say, the Atlantic, then it's more like 3k miles in one trip, and less than 200 a year for the rest. If he was to establish credibility, he probably should have just stuck with the 36 years and the Masters.

I'm only half-way through my first Timmies. Missed that, my bad. :P

To all of you who Reid-hovians who criticize us for mocking their journey, just take a look at that picture of Weid frigging praying to the audience in To the Lord Who Fixes Diesel Engines. He is the most devious, manulapitive bastard I have witnesses...the satellite evangelist of the Schooner Anne, and he is mocking the crap out of all of his supporters. I can't wait to see what his avid followers have to say.

One of the things that has bothered me since the beginning of his ramblings is his lack of knowledge of the skies. I figured all sailors who sail the oceans for long periods of time know all the constellaltions by sight. But Sayonara has repeatedly said she wishes she knew what she was looking at. I lived in Tahoe for awhile and when you looked at the night sky you could pick out the constellations without a book/map because when all their stars are visible to the naked eye you can't not know what they are! So they are looking at the heavens in the cleanest air around and he can't tell her what she's seeing? He claims he sailed with Moitessier...you're not going to tell me HE didn't know the night skies?

And Sayonara, it's a frigging METEORITE, not a shooting star! Get it right.

And Weid is supposedly has a friend named Carter who has something to do with the Hayden Planetarium and they didn't send him off with a sky chart...

NOTHING MAKES SENSE! :angry:

So you're indignant because?

Seems to me the problem here is that reid is an easy target at whom to redirect your self-loathing.

So he's a broke con man who's put to sea?

So what's news about that?

Only difference between him and most of the posters here is life circumstances.

He's obviously seems mentally ill -- messiah complex, megalomaniacal, etc.

No different from many of you fascists here.

Give reid a few bucks and a new boat and he becomes you.

And that is scary.

Gee - a smart guy like you is still trying to figure out how to leave? Even after so many people explained? It's easy but you need to remember one safety issue as you exit - don't let the door hit you in the ass.

And you still are reading me and quoting me.

Don't feed the trolls, asshole.

I'm only half-way through my first Timmies. Missed that, my bad. :P

You should really get them to open on our side of the border. Nothing cures the morning hangover like Mr. Horton's fine selection of sandwiches and coffees.

But anyway, keep in mind that this whole "1,000 Days" at sea thing isn't predicated on GOING ANYWHERE in particular.

Got that? Right-oh?

All he has to do is float around until the gear breaks down, make for the nearest port, declare a misadventure but "valuable things were learned" in the most passive voice possible and hunker for another decade or so.

Call it an alternative life style.

I believe their position and their track are fair dinkum and that they're not lolling about near some favourable coastline; their emaciation supports the supposition of being at sea under the circumstances - and with the diet - they have.

With respect to Metocean, I feel an organisation's professional integrity would be called into question if they were party to spurious data; I read nothing that should prompt us to question that integrity. Metocean provided equipment and a service in good faith, I'll respect that.

True enough.

Why would metocean risk its professional reputation by cooking data?

For Major Tom and his Electric Wench?

And you still are reading me and quoting me.

Don't feed the trolls, asshole.

Gee, officer Krupke, he's really not bad but, deep down inside him ....

I think you're really a pretty smart guy. Why do you work so hard at being a complete jerk? Read some of the really snarky stuff posted here - there are only a few people who sound like they are personally upset or intentionally hateful. Why not just settle into anarchy and mix some meaningful insights with the drivel from time to time? Oh - by the way - the consistently foul language used in your ad hominem attacks doesn't play well. It makes you appear to be very limited in your ability to express yourself. Like you're frustrated you can't say your thought so you divert attention. You've had flashes of decency - build on them and you'll be happy. Gruss Gott.

You should really get them to open on our side of the border. Nothing cures the morning hangover like Mr. Horton's fine selection of sandwiches and coffees.

Timmie's is open on this side of the border, but apparently not behind the Cheese Curtain.

Gee, officer Krupke, he's really not bad but, deep down inside him ....

I think you're really a pretty smart guy. Why do you work so hard at being a complete jerk? Read some of the really snarky stuff posted here - there are only a few people who sound like they are personally upset or intentionally hateful. Why not just settle into anarchy and mix some meaningful insights with the drivel from time to time? Oh - by the way - the consistently foul language used in your ad hominem attacks doesn't play well. It makes you appear to be very limited in your ability to express yourself. Like you're frustrated you can't say your thought so you divert attention. You've had flashes of decency - build on them and you'll be happy. Gruss Gott.

When the weasels don't rip my flesh, I'm a pretty nice guy.

well, with all this winch talk, this seems mildly apropros:

Beautiful example of Reid's seamanship. I don't know any sailor who leaves their lines in the mess that his are in at the one minute mark. Even in a race, we always find time to untangle and coil them neatly so that when we need them, we are not dealing with a mess of knots. Loser.

Well, if only they had donated to you, then you would be able to eat Timwiches for the next 1000 days. But they didn't so you are stuck with nothing but what you spend your money on. Maybe if you complain about it on your blog, someone will deliver for you.

Do they make them with just cheese?

I am not a sailor (but I am a cynic) so bear with me if I ask any dumb questions...

After reading about R&S's departure in the newspaper my response was "WTF? A 55 yr old guy with a 20-something

girl and they're gonna do what???

When they were booted out of the shooting range my response: "WTF? How stupid is this guy?"

The bowsprit incident: "WTF?"

All the inane dreamy posts on the 1000 days blog: "WTF?" It seemed that all the sane posts (which I surmised later were from SAers) were deleted.

Then the enlightenment as I read on their blog something about a Sailing Anarchy blog... AHA! Which is how I found SA and then spent a week

catching up on the REAL story! Finally there were others who were in my WTF club.

So, one question I have is how do we know they are where they say they are? Is there a way for them to fake their location?

Oh, and one more question: "WTF????"

All excellent questions, especially the WTF. You asked 6 times, which is appropriate considering you've plowed through the entire thread and are only now commenting. The answer is pretty straight forward -- You can't make this shit up, You can't make this shit up, You can't make this shit up, You can't make this shit up, You can't make this shit up.

As for your last question, the answer's a little trickier - - You can't make this shit up.

I hope that helps clarify things for you.

Carry on.....

i like it when he ducks below to take a few tokes and pump the bilge and then returns ready to fine tune the sails. when the 'illegal daycharter guest?' asks for grog, the captain gets stern.

evidently, there is no booze aboard anne now; a gross oversight as there are definitly times when a nice stiff one would put the mind at temporary ease.

luckily, reid can use his prison smarts and brew something up in a bucket with those hundreds of pounds of wheatberries that are inedible.

But anyway, keep in mind that this whole "1,000 Days" at sea thing isn't predicated on GOING ANYWHERE in particular.

Got that? Right-oh?

All he has to do is float around until the gear breaks down, make for the nearest port, declare a misadventure but "valuable things were learned" in the most passive voice possible and hunker for another decade or so.

Is there a requirement that the thing actually FLOAT for 1000 days?

Perhaps they should consider doing something like this... :lol:

legacy_beached.jpg

Beautiful example of Reid's seamanship. I don't know any sailor who leaves their lines in the mess that his are in at the one minute mark. Even in a race, we always find time to untangle and coil them neatly so that when we need them, we are not dealing with a mess of knots. Loser.

Good catch. An excellent display of his "expert seamanship". He can't even take the time coil lines or tie a cleat knot correctly on an easy day sail with plenty of crew. But they have the squawk now so all the line problems are solved.

Here's a funny - the current position and course of the boat (last position was posted October 12 when the boat was south of the equator and heading 214) -

0.000° North, 23.000° West

Reported: 2007-Oct-16 0900

Distance: 191.18 nm

Bearing: 322

Here's a funny - the current position and course of the boat (last position was posted October 12 when the boat was south of the equator and heading 214) -

0.000° North, 23.000° West

Reported: 2007-Oct-16 0900

Distance: 191.18 nm

Bearing: 322

luna, that's another attempt at the performance art; an important goal set by mission control. heart #2.

Oh ya - another heart! Actually positions are a bit strange - I got that one from the google earth kml file (the link is on the main website). But other positions show them further south. Who knows the truth. No us that's for sure.

Nice find!

Did anyone notice that the myspace chick is in the beginning of the video.

Perhaps someone from Harken should send them an email about how to GREASE their winches?

Got that? Right-oh?

Guy couldn't draw a heart in his fucking bathtub with a rubber duck if it was drawn on the bottom for him, let alone go around the world.

This is, after all, the "Mars Odyssey".

Shouldn't he do something credible? Maybe his extensive research will lead NASA to just toss a couple hippies in a 50 billion dollar spacecraft with sprouts and cheese and let it sit in the parking lot at Cape Canaveral for 3 years.

So I finally got around to writing up the report from the Rescue Committee and posted it to the 1000 days of hell...

http://1000daysofhell.blogspot.com/2007/10...ue-odyssey.html

:blink::lol: :lol: From the clip just after 3:00 a guy in a yellow jacket says:

"Now, technically, of course, we have right of way over all motor craft."

This is followed immediately by the huge bow of a cruise ship coming into the frame followed by the remaining 1000 of feet of her.

Does Maersk own a cruise ship? Priceless.

????????

He (she?) was replying to my post. I think he thought I was being funny. Everyone knows I'm not funny. I don't have a funny avatar, or funny name. I'm serious. Always. <_<

But I actually was serious. I said that reggiano's association with 1000days had affected my meal. That's all.

And for the record, more faster, Tim's sucks ass. I'm serious.

That SO needs to be posted on 1000daysofhell. Sailflat???

I am going to try to put it together with the boat on the header some how.

post-22200-1192559423.jpg

Captain Sprouts seems to be lax about his fouled hull, which greatly reduces his speed.

A 1 knot speed difference can mean life and death when attempting to outrun a storm.

A crusty hull also effects your ability to maintain a heading in storm seas, that is suicide!

I emailed Launa with a link to the forum, but also asking her if she wouldn't mind answering some questions for me personally. Let's see what she says.

And the rules are the same as they were for som: BE NICE IF SHE COMES HERE or I'll give you a boot to the nuts.

you've just put gas in the fire

Timmie's is open on this side of the border, but apparently not behind the Cheese Curtain.

There's alot we don't have behind the cheese curtain. We DO have lots of cheese, fireworks, fat people, and the cheapest liquor and beer in the country. I'll trade you the first three for a Timmie's.

At the end of the "sailing on the Hudson" video, he actually hands two of his crew monkeys a two-handed winch handle and says, "There's a two person handle, so you can both do it." Priceless.

post-22200-1192559423.jpg

Captain Sprouts seems to be lax about his fouled hull, which greatly reduces his speed.

A 1 knot speed difference can mean life and death when attempting to outrun a storm.

A crusty hull also effects your ability to maintain a heading in storm seas, that is suicide!

manatee_Barnacles_a.jpg

tell me bout it

day-175-winch.jpg

hell, if he can get winches from Harken, anyone can!

It seems that Harken has disavowed Reid... They are gone from the sponsor page. I wonder how that might have happened? ;)

So I finally got around to writing up the report from the Rescue Committee and posted it to the 1000 days of hell...

http://1000daysofhell.blogspot.com/2007/10...ue-odyssey.html

I've been following the Transat race and the fleet of 82 boats in now 670mn NW of the cheese scows reported position. Maybe we could get one or two of the stragglers to peel off and look for them. I'd rather be on a Mini eating freeze dried food than on the bondo boat eating sprouts.

The fleet should pass well in front of reid, but could you imagine the shame of being known as the sailor, who after 3000nm, ran into the cheese scow and sank?

Ug! That just wrecked one of my favourite songs, Into the Mystic. :(

Look at the condition of the hull. Brutal.

I like how they're veering off course in the last shot, with sails luffing and chaffing on the jack lines.

And the way that boat hobby-horses in a little harbor lump....

What a fun ocean ride!

I hate to bring up the whole bow sprit debate again, but did anyone see this and try to contact these people for details? I've tried to read all of the previous posts, but these damn deadlines at work keep getting in the way! :angry:

From the list of sponsers on 1000days.net:

White Hill Restoration

White Hill Restoration provided materials and welding services to rebuild Bow Sprit and Stern Pulpit. Thanks Mustafa! whitehillrestoration@yahoo.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

I hate to bring up the whole bow sprit debate again, but did anyone see this and try to contact these people for details? I've tried to read all of the previous posts, but these damn deadlines at work keep getting in the way! :angry:

From the list of sponsers on 1000days.net:

White Hill Restoration

White Hill Restoration provided materials and welding services to rebuild Bow Sprit and Stern Pulpit. Thanks Mustafa! whitehillrestoration@yahoo.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Well that would explain the drain pipe...

From http://www.whitehillrestoration.com/

"High Quality Masonry Waterproofing & Roofing Work

Our website is currently under construction."

Someone call Mustafa and ask: (646) 613 8061

I would be interested in getting the names of all the people who were supposed to accompany Reid, and dropped out. I bet they have some insight.

Some may have dropped out because it was taking too long to get going, but I suspect that there is more to it than that.

Here's one

ESPN Article 1/27/06

For the past year, up until a couple of weeks ago, Stowe had been training Alejandro Molina, a 33-year-old native of Colombia, to be his first -- and only -- mate on the voyage.

Questioned about his commitment to an enterprise so extreme and demanding that even the most seasoned of sailors would hesitate before signing on, Molina expressed confidence that this voyage would be just the thing he needed for meaningful personal growth. "Facing fears and becoming strong in terms of facing life," he said, "it's going to make me more conscious of life."

Sure enough, when Molina finally returned, he approached Stowe with his head hung low and filled with remorse. He explained that he'd never been able to follow through on anything he started, that he was already burned out and afraid, and that, anti-Nike-like, he "just couldn't do it."

here's another bowsprit shot at the launch party.

From that view, it looks like the bobstay and side-stays are made from three-strand rope.

Am I the only one who sees that?

If so, they would stretch under load, and put the bowsprit under a large bending load, which it likely wasn't designed to take. My ancient copy of Skene's elements of yacht design talks about keeping all kinds of spars in pure compression as best as possible to avoid bending and buckling.

(like aluminum spinnaker poles - Bridles keep the load in compression; threfore no bending)

-M

From that view, it looks like the bobstay and side-stays are made from three-strand rope.

If so, they would stretch under load, and put the bowsprit under a large bending load, which it likely wasn't designed to take. My ancient copy of Skene's elements of yacht design talks about keeping all kinds of spars in pure compression as best as possible to avoid bending and buckling.

(like aluminum spinnaker poles - Bridles keep the load in compression; threfore no bending)

-M

I hope you realize you just poked a hornet nest! :o

-M

Agreeed.... have a look at: http://1000daysofhell.blogspot.com/2007/10...-collision.html

I didn't want to put that in there as I have seen some pictures that look like 3 strand nylon and others look like wire rope. We pretty well have it covered without that though. If you can be certain that is 3 strand nylon then write something up and I will add it to the "cliff notes."

Maybe it's because my posts fall in line with the opinions of the mob. heh-heh.

Or maybe it's because the weasels have stopped ripping my flesh. <_<

Whatever.

Meanwhile, I post this pair of pictures from the maintenance section of the 1,000 Days web site.

Captioned as follows by the good capitain: "Here are pictures of the deckhouse of Schooner Anne before and after the teenage girls applied the final coat of zimmerit. Zimmerit has special anti-magnetic properties that help support the bowsprit pipe above the negatively ionized sea, thereby providing more lift."

zimmerit is not anti magnetic, only non-magnetic.

Agreeed.... have a look at: http://1000daysofhell.blogspot.com/2007/10...-collision.html

I didn't want to put that in there as I have seen some pictures that look like 3 strand nylon and others look like wire rope. We pretty well have it covered without that though. If you can be certain that is 3 strand nylon then write something up and I will add it to the "cliff notes."

Sailflat,

Nice work again on the website!

One thing I am personally thinking about the bowsprit, and which is - I think - not mentioned yet, is the angle of the bobstay. There are actually two stays, and the one that runs to the front is under a very low angle (since the sprit is so long), providing very little support and adding compression stress to the whole construction.

It is a combination of bad materials and a long fucking stick (sublimation, making up for ... I don't want to know) that is badly supported. it all adds up and then you run into a ship -- haha what a scam!

Starting to sound a little sad. "We don't have a spare. I would have spares for a lot of things if we had any money. Eventually, we had to go on the voyage even though things weren't perfect." There's an air of desperation tinged with melancholy in that paragraph. Almost as if he is starting to seriously doubt the outcome and his own ability to keep it all together.

sounds more like a plea for his cheerleaders to get on paypal.

Post #2166

"South Atlantic my cropped tailed ass. Here's the Anne getting a refit in Tillamook, OR."

Same picture.

Are you just not paying attention?

Ohmygod, that was like soooo yesterday

post-22200-1192572943_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I had a bad night, last night.