Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

I just cant believe that you think that your going to be able to sell that load of that shit here. Perhaps you should go over to Lats and Atts for a little support. Oh and while you are there look up this guy named Tom Kennedy as I am sure he wont mind filling your hole till Reid gets back

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Posted Images

ahem, the man did 200 days successfully as a prep

underfunded his engine conked first day and he still sailed her to the south atlantic and back to the dock in manhattan virtually singlehanded, his then wife also a complete neophyte at start

he subsequently spent more than a decade delaying departure, adding to stores, retrofitting and rebuilding the Schooner with the help of sponsors, the good will of strangers and craftsmen. added an entirely new electrical system, painted the bottom when she was hauled off staten island 3 years or so ago, (that e paint was used then you kool aid drinking condescending paint sniffing kooks) and he put off launching the 1000 days quixotic sail for years while adding a helluva lot of equipment and provisions. hell, he decided this was his dream and how effin long can you prepare? he had to depart sometime, even while the crowds cheered in hoboken and the sailing anarchists laughed in their dark n stormies surely he won't git past ambrose light they smiled evilly at one another.

all you who call yourselves "sailing anarchists" and would never set foot upon a boat that lacked the shiny and way overpriced shit you are all dependent upon would never try anything so foolhardy so crazy i know

cause you're all sitting pretty by your high speed connections typing away before you go sailing off in some race where the buy in costs of a successful breakneck racing campaign are more then the budget for the thousand days

yeah, you're all real tough anarchist sailors

yeah....

Thanks for the forced post.

Is your bottom lip quivering? No wonder no one talks to you at the club.

Grow a sense of humor or save us all and slit your wrists.

I have been thinking Mooseknuckle

Thanx USA. That was one of my four choices for the Alias of the Year contestant.................

(A snow shovel? Phuk me, but I need to re-read the Dashews very fine cruising book)

RB

• Downvote 1
he subsequently spent more than a decade delaying departure, adding to stores, retrofitting and rebuilding the Schooner with the help of sponsors, the good will of strangers and craftsmen. added an entirely new electrical system, painted the bottom when she was hauled off staten island 3 years or so ago, (that e paint was used then you kool aid drinking condescending paint sniffing kooks) and he put off launching the 1000 days quixotic sail for years while adding a helluva lot of equipment and provisions. hell, he decided this was his dream and how effin long can you prepare? he had to depart sometime, even while the crowds cheered in hoboken and the sailing anarchists laughed in their dark n stormies surely he won't git past ambrose light they smiled evilly at one another.

Without all the filthy name calling and hyperbole, why not explain to everyone why you think it's not a bad idea to leave - for three years - with a thoroughly fouled bottom. Or with "smashes" in the bottom fixed with "underwater epoxy" Does that mean he dove at dock to find the "smashes?" In New York harbor? Do you suppose he got them all or that one or two were missed and are now causing the "few leaks" in the "cargo hold?" How do you even check the bottom by diving in that harbor with two years worth of gooseneck barnacles growing on the bottom? Why, if he's relying on CARDS to avoid ships is the CARDS antenna mounted where it's shown in the pictures on the website. Why, if he says there have been "a few leaks" in the "cargo hold" wouldn't it be a good idea to check them carefully before getting into the southern ocean which he says will be "the real test?" And, without hperbole, filthy language or cuteness, explain why it's not a bad idea to take a new girlfriend who has never sailed on a three year "cruise" that may well turn nasty at some point during the three years. You say "his then wife" was a "neophyte" on the trip to Antartica. That may be one of the reasons she's his "then wife" and not his "now wife." What choice does his "now girlfriend" have when she finally realizes what she's gotten herself into? Again calmly, why is it not a bad idea to launch a three year cruise without hauling the boat and doing a very thorough, professional inspection where the intention is to stay out of sight of land? Finally, you say a lot about what you think sailors should do about a "fellow sailor" in need. Why don't you think telling a "fellow sailor" he's nuts to do something llike this without better preparation isn't helpful? Even you say the trip is "quixotic" - do you mean that no matter how foolish it appears, "helping" him is encouraging him? The best thing anyone could do for those two right now is board them, bind them and tow them to port. But you don't see that and spout silliness and filth rather than saying something based in fact. So - simply and calmly explain why everyone here is wrong.

Without all the filthy name calling and hyperbole, why not explain to everyone why you think it's not a bad idea to leave - for three years - with a thoroughly fouled bottom. Or with "smashes" in the bottom fixed with "underwater epoxy" Does that mean he dove at dock to find the "smashes?" In New York harbor? Do you suppose he got them all or that one or two were missed and are now causing the "few leaks" in the "cargo hold?" How do you even check the bottom by diving in that harbor with two years worth of gooseneck barnacles growing on the bottom? Why, if he's relying on CARDS to avoid ships is the CARDS antenna mounted where it's shown in the pictures on the website. Why, if he says there have been "a few leaks" in the "cargo hold" wouldn't it be a good idea to check them carefully before getting into the southern ocean which he says will be "the real test?" And, without hperbole, filthy language or cuteness, explain why it's not a bad idea to take a new girlfriend who has never sailed on a three year "cruise" that may well turn nasty at some point during the three years. You say "his then wife" was a "neophyte" on the trip to Antartica. That may be one of the reasons she's his "then wife" and not his "now wife." What choice does his "now girlfriend" have when she finally realizes what she's gotten herself into? Again calmly, why is it not a bad idea to launch a three year cruise without hauling the boat and doing a very thorough, professional inspection where the intention is to stay out of sight of land? Finally, you say a lot about what you think sailors should do about a "fellow sailor" in need. Why don't you think telling a "fellow sailor" he's nuts to do something llike this without better preparation isn't helpful? Even you say the trip is "quixotic" - do you mean that no matter how foolish it appears, "helping" him is encouraging him? The best thing anyone could do for those two right now is board them, bind them and tow them to port. But you don't see that and spout silliness and filth rather than saying something based in fact. So - simply and calmly explain why everyone here is wrong.

WORD

You mean he subsequntly spent more than a decade sponging off of the suckers who bought into his "dream." Yes, he had to depart sometime didn't he? After putting off the departure date again and again and again, he did finally did have to leave - when the port authority announced that the dock he'd been freeloading on for the last several years would be closed and there would be no more free lunch.

I think your the one that has been drinking the kool aid...

Thanks for the forced post.

Is your bottom lip quivering? No wonder no one talks to you at the club.

Grow a sense of humor or save us all and slit your wrists. :ph34r:

nope my bottom lip is not moving and my upper one stiff

your group should change its name to sailing sadists

much more apt

for the perverse crap that passes for sailing discussion on these boards

You mean he subsequntly spent more than a decade sponging off of the suckers who bought into his "dream." Yes, he had to depart sometime didn't he? After putting off the departure date again and again and again, he did finally did have to leave - when the port authority announced that the dock he'd been freeloading on for the last several years would be closed and there would be no more free lunch.

I think your the one that has been drinking the kool aid...

that would be YOU'RE the one to those able to write a sentence who may be lost and stumble on this bog for non-nobs

WORD

well let's see word up.

first, it's easy to show how you're all wrong. you all said he'd never make it up the river. he's off the african coast.

you really need to calm down (most of you) and get your facts straight. his ex-wife didn't go to the antarctic with him, he hadn't met her then. she went on the 'voyage of the sea turtle' two hundred days of continual sailing. and they divorced because she wanted to raise a baby on land and he wanted to remain on the sea. they remain friends.

the man's been broke most of the time. he lives on his boat and raised funds by selling his paintings and donations. below & above the waterline the ship is solid. he makes the mistake of sounding like the hippie he is at heart instead of some old fart sailor. you really wouldn't believe how strongly this boat is built- and she is seaworthy. The boat responds at the helm, not to worry (as if you were). whatever unfortunate accumulation of barnacles you misleadingly label as tons will not be keeping her off a rhumb line. personally, i think the man deserves some credit for doing this on a shoestring budget. you call it irresponsible to put it politely. i think he is an able seaman with big dreams and some cojones. i don't understand why it is so easy for all of you to be so angered in your superiority? the young woman is obviously adjusting well to life at sea. i don't see anything so dire happening. why is it too much for any of you to consider that the man, his ship, and soanya just might all be able to sail for a thousand days straight?

it's admittedly a pretty crazy thing to want to do, and yet there is a romanticism with the sea that i appreciate. it's surely the opposite of being a landlubber. he's got the nautical miles, and the experience to pull this off. the boat is old and is not high tech and she's poor in the sense that she is not a fancy expensive modern plastic boat. yet she is seaworthy; is proven as such as is he. i don't understand the constant need to- deride-to put down- to be vicious and perverse- here.

okay so some of it is funny shit. and believe me i can laugh along too. and as the nautical miles and days are lengthened and you guys are still writing articles expressing your surprise that those unprepared downright idiotic kooks are still alive, i will still be wondering why you couldn't lighten up and try to go along for the ride with a little more even handedness and perhaps even a bit of respect for a fellow sailor trying to sail so far and so long without help.

see, that's the thing, he is doing this alone. it's a seventy foot ship singlehanded for all intents and purposes and his g/f is companionship. offhand i'd say he's got enough going against him already. to pile up pervesely is simply uncalled for and cowardly.

well let's see word up.

first, it's easy to show how you're all wrong. you all said he'd never make it up the river. he's off the african coast.

you really need to calm down (most of you) and get your facts straight. his ex-wife didn't go to the antarctic with him, he hadn't met her then. she went on the 'voyage of the sea turtle' two hundred days of continual sailing. and they divorced because she wanted to raise a baby on land and he wanted to remain on the sea. they remain friends.

the man's been broke most of the time. he lives on his boat and raised funds by selling his paintings and donations. below & above the waterline the ship is solid. he makes the mistake of sounding like the hippie he is at heart instead of some old fart sailor. you really wouldn't believe how strongly this boat is built- and she is seaworthy. The boat responds at the helm, not to worry (as if you were). whatever unfortunate accumulation of barnacles you misleadingly label as tons will not be keeping her off a rhumb line. personally, i think the man deserves some credit for doing this on a shoestring budget. you call it irresponsible to put it politely. i think he is an able seaman with big dreams and some cojones. i don't understand why it is so easy for all of you to be so angered in your superiority? the young woman is obviously adjusting well to life at sea. i don't see anything so dire happening. why is it too much for any of you to consider that the man, his ship, and soanya just might all be able to sail for a thousand days straight?

it's admittedly a pretty crazy thing to want to do, and yet there is a romanticism with the sea that i appreciate. it's surely the opposite of being a landlubber. he's got the nautical miles, and the experience to pull this off. the boat is old and is not high tech and she's poor in the sense that she is not a fancy expensive modern plastic boat. yet she is seaworthy; is proven as such as is he. i don't understand the constant need to- deride-to put down- to be vicious and perverse- here.

okay so some of it is funny shit. and believe me i can laugh along too. and as the nautical miles and days are lengthened and you guys are still writing articles expressing your surprise that those unprepared downright idiotic kooks are still alive, i will still be wondering why you couldn't lighten up and try to go along for the ride with a little more even handedness and perhaps even a bit of respect for a fellow sailor trying to sail so far and so long without help.

see, that's the thing, he is doing this alone. it's a seventy foot ship singlehanded for all intents and purposes and his g/f is companionship. offhand i'd say he's got enough going against him already. to pile up pervesely is simply uncalled for and cowardly.

That's it? "he is doing this alone?" No he's not - he's got a 23 year old girl with him who has not the beginning of a clue what happens in a big sea. She said on the blog she didn't go "outside" for four days because the weather was "all grey and damp feeling." So, she decided to conserve her strength by staying in bed reading. She got whacked by a wave and discovered her foul weather "pants" are not waterproof, they are "water resistant."

It's not tons of barnacles? OK - it doesn't take long for the entire bottom to be covered and, on a 65 foot boat, that's a lot of barnacles. He says they've been growing for two years and he wants to take a snow shovel to them because they are one of the reasons they are going slow. Maybe he can stick to a rhumb line but can he - as he says is his plan - turn to avoid an oncoming freighter? In time to get out of the way, I mean. How do you know she'll respond? He hasn't even been making steerageway. What happens when he's in a big sea? Does he have any control at all?

He says - and you said on the blog - he's even more alert on his scans of the horizon since the "collision." Every 15 minutes, 24/7. But he also says he relies on CARDS and he had some trouble with it. Did you see where it's mounted?

What about the idea of having the boat surveyed before he takes off on this three year trip where he plans to not even see land? Because it's his dream and it's romantic it's ok to simply ignore the very basic idea that the vessel should be thoroughly checked before he commits his and his girlfriend's lives to it? He says there already are some leaks but he's pressing on because he's daring and romantic?

The trouble is you are so aggressive in his defense. The man stumbled into a Navy live fire area and left when a plane buzzed him. He calls back to base to find out what's going on and to express his surprise while thinking "a lot" of people are going to be surprised that the Navy is shooting in that area. Clearly he'd never heard of NOTAM. He's exhausted because of all the work he has to do on deck and, therefore, can't check the leak situation below. What kind of "daring" is that? It ain't gonna be real romantic if they wake up some morning and step into water up to their knees. The boat may be solid, as you say, but he says some water is coming in and he hopes it doesn't get the food wet.

Why don't you be his really good friend and tell him he ought to pull in somewhere before a hurricane or a seventy foot wave gets them? Just because he's been broke and is a hippie at heart and he has big cojones doesn't mean he or she will survive what they should know is likely. A good friend would tell him that - not sit in a dry chair on land egging him on and excusing his lack of preparedness. Sure some people have made it - but others didn't. Look at the last Volvo race around the world. Do him a favor - talk some sense to him.

And know this: The way these guys who you so easily and ignorantly denigrate got their boats and have the money to put into them is by working for it. And they got their knowledge by doing it. Your strident protestations do nothing but demonstrate conclusively you don't know what you're talking about. And that's the trouble with Reid Stowe - he doesn't have the boat or the crew or the ability to do what he's set out to do. But he's surrounded himself with people who tell him how daring and noble and romantic he is. He's got a girl less than half his age with stars in her eyes who believes in him and he's got a boast he's got to redeem. but he's got no REAL friend who says, "wait until you're really ready - then go for it. But you're boat's a mess and you're not ready as of right now."

much more apt

You keep that stiff upper lip bucko!

I would discuss sailing with you but all I hear is the mucus semin mix dripping from your wifes jaw.

Comming from a town with lots of transient/painter/photographers/dead beats that don't want to get a job but want to sell you a fucking monkey fist keychain so thy can get back to sailing around the world. I have a tude about that. No, I won't pat him on the back. If I had my way I would make him change places with the most deserving cubicle ridder on this site. I make it on the water 5 days a week, racing or cruising so when you get done with your mock AC race in your bathtub. Drop me a line and we will talk about sailing. Sail fast to your mommy.

Am I a complete nautical snob??

The girl gets a pass because she's new to sailing, but the guy's vocabulary and seeming unfamiliarity with the most rudimentary nautical lingo would drive me absolutely bughouse if I cared to read any of it more than I do.

Doesn't this guy know ANY nautical or navigational terms? I don't want to feel like those who do are in some kind of secret club, but these terms exist for a reason--they're good at describing something in the fewest words. He creates long sentences about how he wants to stay away from the Brazil capes. The term he's looking for (?) is "searoom" or "wide berth", or "stay clear of". Geeze, is this too much to ask?

I've got to calm down, and just stop reading this stuff....

whatever unfortunate accumulation of barnacles you misleadingly label as tons will not be keeping her off a rhumb line. personally, i think the man deserves some credit for doing this on a shoestring budget. you call it irresponsible to put it politely. i think he is an able seaman with big dreams...

OK, sailfastfree, you want to give the guy credit..he is a able seaman blah blah blah

Answer this: why the hell did'nt he get off his lazy ass and clean the bottom of his boat before taking off sailing for 3 years? Was the work too hard for him? Kinda like having a real job like the rest of us maybe? Any real sailor/waterman would have cleaned the bottom himself if need be.

No able seamen would set sail for 1000 days with a bad bottom job covered with barnacles, period, end of sentance.

Idiots

much more apt

Mate, if we were sadists, we would be egging him on, and waiting with baited breath for the rescue and sinking of the tub, and the hopefully eventual rescue in thier inflatable boat.

They are a danger to shipping, themselves and the rescuers if any are available, fair call doing stuff on a shoestring that is slightly possible, but this is plain nuts, not even a liferaft??

It is idiots like you that have encouraged this nutter to put his 'girlfriend's' life at risk, this nutter is a shoe-in for the Darwin awards.

Therefore, YOU must share some responsiblity when the shit hits the fan. Not us, there is nothing remotely romantic about drowning at sea, and some of the so called 'sadists' on this board, have grieved for loved ones lost, myself included.

:angry:

ahem, the man did 200 days successfully as a prep

underfunded his engine conked first day and he still sailed her to the south atlantic and back to the dock in manhattan virtually singlehanded, his then wife also a complete neophyte at start

all you who call yourselves "sailing anarchists" and would never set foot upon a boat that lacked the shiny and way overpriced shit you are all dependent upon would never try anything so foolhardy so crazy i know

cause you're all sitting pretty by your high speed connections typing away before you go sailing off in some race where the buy in costs of a successful breakneck racing campaign are more then the budget for the thousand days

yeah, you're all real tough anarchist sailors

yeah....

Yeah, he had to depart sometime because his debt collectors were coming after him, and child support was due. Don't try to tell me any different in your defense of this guy. Someone had to get out of town fast, and it would have only taken a few days to do a bottom job, especially with all the free labor he had to choose from. Call us all "idiots" and whatever else you will, but no sailor with any common sense would embark on a journey of this magnitude without inspecting the bottom of the boat and preparing it.

And thanks for stereotyping everyone on here with "all you who call yourselves "sailing anarchists" and would never set foot upon a boat that lacked the shiny and way overpriced shit you are all dependent upon would never try anything so foolhardy so crazy i know". Everyone has new boats. None of us was ever up to our elbows in core rot, replacing leaking ports, getting zapped while rewiring our ghetto fabulous electrical systems, replacing archaic macerator pumps, toilets and hoses, fiberglass repair... Most people on this board have practically had to rebuild their boats. I have put over $20,000 into a $10,000 boat. Other than the engine, my crap comes off of eBay. I don't have radar or windgen. I don't even have dinghy davits or lazy jacks. We, like most sailors, do ALL the crappy jobs ourselves and help our boat neighbor with his.

"cause you're all sitting pretty by your high speed connections typing away before you go sailing off in some race where the buy in costs of a successful breakneck racing campaign are more then the budget for the thousand days" Right again. My husband and I dodge bullets in crappy countries so we can afford our high-speed internet connection and put money into our cruising kitty. Should we panhandle to afford internet and our future trip? Most people on this board work their asses off for the love of sailing versus taking handouts from people who do work. Oh, and I highly doubt anyone on here is "sitting pretty", as most REAL sailors have 5200 and epoxy and shards of fiberglass permanently attached to them right now, hand caloused with rope burn and scars from where the boat took its blood sacrifice.

Bottom line- you sympathize with Reid; I don't. You have sneered at those of us who "work 9 to 5 jobs" (how I would LOVE a job with set hours...), but we WORK so we can pay for our own sailing adventures rather than begging for money.

Chris

Sweet...

I'm going to fire up the grill, cook some dinner, and then start the popcorn- should be interesting.

SAILFASTANDFREE- Come-on!!!- a "snow shovel"??? With a snorkle???? I clean my own bottom on a 36' without 2+ years of growth on it and I definitely need 800# of air (in a slip) at a minimum. Reid's boat will be, even if becalmed, rocking back and forth and it will be very hard for him to keep his place/station on the bottom of the boat. By the way, snow shovels are generally made of aluminuim and the barnacles will make mincemeat of that thing.

I certainly hope that Reid's sponsors are paying you handsomely for his defense. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but this scenario is truly a trainwreck. I just hope that no one innocent gets hurt (i.e. Soyna or the US Coast Guard).

Out

I think it is time for an Anarchy betting pool on when Reid either gives up or sinks. Maybe set it up through paypal or something.

You mean a "Dead Fool"? Like for Liz Taylor and Courtney Love and Keith Richards?.

Perfect. Count me in..............

• Downvote 1

Atlantic Derelict

The appearance of this derelict fiberglass hull in June of 2003 near Land's End on the western coast of Great Britain drew local interest and also sparked an international e-mail based investigation into its origin. The boat had been adrift in a keel-up orientation for some time, as the enormous growth of barnacles and other marine life indicates.

PhotoCredit: Terry George, 5 June 2003 - Reference: 76-01

those interested in this stuff:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage76.html

post-9451-1182862576_thumb.jpg

Best explanation of a real sailor EVAH!

<working my crap 9-5 job right now so I can go home in crap traffic and get 5200 all over me tonight and keep my 34 year old boat running for one more cruise. I think by bedtime I will be beat, cut, epoxied, 5200'ed, sore, bruised, yelled at by my wife for not getting the carpet she wants for the boat cut yet, and the happiest guy on the planet too 'cuase I am sailing this weekend and next week too :)

Yeah, he had to depart sometime because his debt collectors were coming after him, and child support was due. Don't try to tell me any different in your defense of this guy. Someone had to get out of town fast, and it would have only taken a few days to do a bottom job, especially with all the free labor he had to choose from. Call us all "idiots" and whatever else you will, but no sailor with any common sense would embark on a journey of this magnitude without inspecting the bottom of the boat and preparing it.

And thanks for stereotyping everyone on here with "all you who call yourselves "sailing anarchists" and would never set foot upon a boat that lacked the shiny and way overpriced shit you are all dependent upon would never try anything so foolhardy so crazy i know". Everyone has new boats. None of us was ever up to our elbows in core rot, replacing leaking ports, getting zapped while rewiring our ghetto fabulous electrical systems, replacing archaic macerator pumps, toilets and hoses, fiberglass repair... Most people on this board have practically had to rebuild their boats. I have put over $20,000 into a $10,000 boat. Other than the engine, my crap comes off of eBay. I don't have radar or windgen. I don't even have dinghy davits or lazy jacks. We, like most sailors, do ALL the crappy jobs ourselves and help our boat neighbor with his.

"cause you're all sitting pretty by your high speed connections typing away before you go sailing off in some race where the buy in costs of a successful breakneck racing campaign are more then the budget for the thousand days" Right again. My husband and I dodge bullets in crappy countries so we can afford our high-speed internet connection and put money into our cruising kitty. Should we panhandle to afford internet and our future trip? Most people on this board work their asses off for the love of sailing versus taking handouts from people who do work. Oh, and I highly doubt anyone on here is "sitting pretty", as most REAL sailors have 5200 and epoxy and shards of fiberglass permanently attached to them right now, hand caloused with rope burn and scars from where the boat took its blood sacrifice.

Bottom line- you sympathize with Reid; I don't. You have sneered at those of us who "work 9 to 5 jobs" (how I would LOVE a job with set hours...), but we WORK so we can pay for our own sailing adventures rather than begging for money.

Chris

I think it is time for an Anarchy betting pool on when Reid either gives up or sinks. Maybe set it up through paypal or something.

Don't forget 'missing', as in "Haven't heard from them in a while...."

That one was almost a winning ticket already.

Sweet...

I'm going to fire up the grill, cook some dinner, and then start the popcorn- should be interesting.

SAILFASTANDFREE- Come-on!!!- a "snow shovel"??? With a snorkle???? I clean my own bottom on a 36' without 2+ years of growth on it and I definitely need 800# of air (in a slip) at a minimum. Reid's boat will be, even if becalmed, rocking back and forth and it will be very hard for him to keep his place/station on the bottom of the boat. By the way, snow shovels are generally made of aluminuim and the barnacles will make mincemeat of that thing.

I certainly hope that Reid's sponsors are paying you handsomely for his defense. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but this scenario is truly a trainwreck. I just hope that no one innocent gets hurt (i.e. Soyna or the US Coast Guard).

Out

It's time to add "snow shovel" to the SA list of required long distance yachting equipment.

Frying pan... check.

Winch handle... check.

Snow shovel... got it.

You sure learn a lot on the site!

In today's post, Reid has painted the stove, as it was getting rusty. He has leaks in the cargo hold, but that stove was top priority. He stated he painted it black. Good color, but hoped he used the high-temperature appliance paint. Wait a second, where did he get that sort of paint in the middle of the ocean? A snow shovel AND appliance paint?! The hubby used the appliance paint on our stove trim, but man, that stuff stays in the HazMat locker in my garage. Com-bus-tion does not equal f-u-n. Oops, got off track with the paint. Anyhoo, I'd be looking for the leaks, but that's just me, since I wouldn't want core rot and my food to get funky. Where is the 5200 on this boat?! There's got to be some. Has to. No sailor can be without the magic properties of 5200 to stop leaks. Maybe it got thrown out to make room for the snow shovel? We may need to pool our resources together to "make 1,000 Days at Sea" possible by having some 3M goodness dropped out to sea.

BTW- GoJo Orange wipes remove 5200 from your body. It's like magic. Gentlemen, you can stop stealing your wives' nail polish remover, and stop dousing yourself in acetone- that stuff is flammable! (Stored in HazMat locker....)

Chris :)

It's time to add "snow shovel" to the SA list of required long distance yachting equipment.

Frying pan... check.

Winch handle... check.

Snow shovel... got it.

You sure learn a lot on the site!

Appliance paint... dang, almost forgot that one.

That's it? "he is doing this alone?" No he's not - he's got a 23 year old girl with him who has not the beginning of a clue what happens in a big sea. She said on the blog she didn't go "outside" for four days because the weather was "all grey and damp feeling." So, she decided to conserve her strength by staying in bed reading. She got whacked by a wave and discovered her foul weather "pants" are not waterproof, they are "water resistant."

It's not tons of barnacles? OK - it doesn't take long for the entire bottom to be covered and, on a 65 foot boat, that's a lot of barnacles. He says they've been growing for two years and he wants to take a snow shovel to them because they are one of the reasons they are going slow. Maybe he can stick to a rhumb line but can he - as he says is his plan - turn to avoid an oncoming freighter? In time to get out of the way, I mean. How do you know she'll respond? He hasn't even been making steerageway. What happens when he's in a big sea? Does he have any control at all?

He says - and you said on the blog - he's even more alert on his scans of the horizon since the "collision." Every 15 minutes, 24/7. But he also says he relies on CARDS and he had some trouble with it. Did you see where it's mounted?

What about the idea of having the boat surveyed before he takes off on this three year trip where he plans to not even see land? Because it's his dream and it's romantic it's ok to simply ignore the very basic idea that the vessel should be thoroughly checked before he commits his and his girlfriend's lives to it? He says there already are some leaks but he's pressing on because he's daring and romantic?

The trouble is you are so aggressive in his defense. The man stumbled into a Navy live fire area and left when a plane buzzed him. He calls back to base to find out what's going on and to express his surprise while thinking "a lot" of people are going to be surprised that the Navy is shooting in that area. Clearly he'd never heard of NOTAM. He's exhausted because of all the work he has to do on deck and, therefore, can't check the leak situation below. What kind of "daring" is that? It ain't gonna be real romantic if they wake up some morning and step into water up to their knees. The boat may be solid, as you say, but he says some water is coming in and he hopes it doesn't get the food wet.

Why don't you be his really good friend and tell him he ought to pull in somewhere before a hurricane or a seventy foot wave gets them? Just because he's been broke and is a hippie at heart and he has big cojones doesn't mean he or she will survive what they should know is likely. A good friend would tell him that - not sit in a dry chair on land egging him on and excusing his lack of preparedness. Sure some people have made it - but others didn't. Look at the last Volvo race around the world. Do him a favor - talk some sense to him.

And know this: The way these guys who you so easily and ignorantly denigrate got their boats and have the money to put into them is by working for it. And they got their knowledge by doing it. Your strident protestations do nothing but demonstrate conclusively you don't know what you're talking about. And that's the trouble with Reid Stowe - he doesn't have the boat or the crew or the ability to do what he's set out to do. But he's surrounded himself with people who tell him how daring and noble and romantic he is. He's got a girl less than half his age with stars in her eyes who believes in him and he's got a boast he's got to redeem. but he's got no REAL friend who says, "wait until you're really ready - then go for it. But you're boat's a mess and you're not ready as of right now."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so nice to know at least that YOU are his true blue real FRIEND who would set him straight.

why don't you give him a call on his sat phone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my "aggressiveness in his defense" is based on the utter perverse contempt the postings here have been in the majority.

someone needed to defend the guy. it's his choice to go. and all you momma's who order him to go home- well it's sort of like an oppressive government proclaiming to know better than you for your own good and taking away rights right and left. doesn't sound like a proper sailor's credo to me.

i for one am getting tired of having to do this here. you all may get your wish and i may just go out to sea and leave all you lubbers alone.

i am not going to be a chicken little doomsayer proclaiming the guy and his gurl dead from the gitgo.

he seems to be doing pretty well so far.

sailon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so nice to know at least that YOU are his true blue real FRIEND who would set him straight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my "aggressiveness in his defense" is based on the utter perverse contempt the postings here have been in the majority.

someone needed to defend the guy. it's his choice to go. and all you momma's who order him to go home- well it's sort of like an oppressive government proclaiming to know better than you for your own good and taking away rights right and left. doesn't sound like a proper sailor's credo to me.

i for one am getting tired of having to do this here. you all may get your wish and i may just go out to sea and leave all you lubbers alone.

i am not going to be a chicken little doomsayer proclaiming the guy and his gurl dead from the gitgo.

he seems to be doing pretty well so far.

sailon

Look, what most people are trying to say is that he should have started his web site with "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Have you ever passed a boat aground and not looked. That is why most people are following this.

Shit, for that matter. I should start a gambling pool on what day he is going to "HAVE TO" go to port for repairs.

No insults, my opinion of you is not the subject. I am trying to put it in to words you might understand.

Not a bad idea but I've never met the fool and suggested YOU call because YOU pretend to be his friend.

But - yours is not a bad idea with one little change. Print his posts - not the ones here, the ones on his site. Send them over to the Coast Guard with his sat phone number. Ask them to voice their opinion to him. Good seafarin' man with his girl Friday? Or utter idiot who is going to die sometime before the end of his "voyage.?"

He seems to be doing ok so far. Do you know where a lot of hurricanes are born? Do you know how high waves can get in the open ocean? Do you know what a "rogue wave" is?

Ahhh - it's nuts keeping this up. Read a little about Clipper ships that simply disappeared without word. And they were well found ships with very knowledgeable and able skippers - not hippies on a romantic adventure. Read about sir Alfred Chichester as he rounded the horn. Read about passages around Cape Horn - 7 miles forward, 5 back. Here's from Wikipedia: "However, the waters around the cape are particularly hazardous, due to strong winds, large waves, strong currents and icebergs; these dangers have made it notorious as a sailors' graveyard." And dumb-dumb is going to do that with two or three years of growth on his bottom and a leaky hold? Oh, no - he's going to swim underneath and scrape with a snow shovel. Proving he's never met a barnacle. What do you and he think? they barely hang on to the bottom by the hairs of their chinny chin-chins?

You are a fool and you trumpet your foolishness when you say things like you won't be a "chicken little." Neither you nor the fool in the boat carting the innocent girl around with him as a playmante for slow times are romantic, brave, daring or noble. But you like to think so until it comes time for a rescue. Then your bleating turns into demands for assistance and complaints it didn't get there quick enough. You are the people who like to talk about your "right" to be let alone and then to be protected against your own foolishness. You are the people who cause good, smart people to die in their attempts to save you from yourselves.

Remember, Sport - you started this nonsense with your filthy opening shot at the good people here. You want to hear them say Reid Stowe is an "able seaman" and a "romantic hippie." Reid Stowe is a fool among fools. And you are a fool leading the cheers for the fool. Before you spout your nonsense and continue your attempt to insult REAL sailors, go read. Go get in a Lightning and sail around New York harbor in a storm. Try swimming from Staten Island to Governor's Island - it'll give you a hint what's in store for your buddy and his chickie.

But - if you're at all serious about any of the crap you spout, call the Coast Guard. Ask them about Stowes judgment and apparent ability. Oh - and while you're on the phone with them, ask them for a copy of the report of his "collision" with the Maersk Dunedin. Until I see that, he's a liar. His bowsprit failed under load and he's embarrassed to admit it.

If your response is similar to what you've said before, stuff it in your ear - it will get a lot more attention there than it will from me.

it's sort of like an oppressive government proclaiming to know better than you for your own good and taking away rights right and left.

Yes, it's exactly like that. Sailors on an internet board calling someone names is just like that pesky government-taking-away-your-rights thing.

:blink:

• Downvote 1
Not a bad idea but I've never met the fool and suggested YOU call because YOU pretend to be his friend.

But - yours is not a bad idea with one little change. Print his posts - not the ones here, the ones on his site. Send them over to the Coast Guard with his sat phone number. Ask them to voice their opinion to him. Good seafarin' man with his girl Friday? Or utter idiot who is going to die sometime before the end of his "voyage.?"

He seems to be doing ok so far. Do you know where a lot of hurricanes are born? Do you know how high waves can get in the open ocean? Do you know what a "rogue wave" is?

Ahhh - it's nuts keeping this up. Read a little about Clipper ships that simply disappeared without word. And they were well found ships with very knowledgeable and able skippers - not hippies on a romantic adventure. Read about sir Alfred Chichester as he rounded the horn. Read about passages around Cape Horn - 7 miles forward, 5 back. Here's from Wikipedia: "However, the waters around the cape are particularly hazardous, due to strong winds, large waves, strong currents and icebergs; these dangers have made it notorious as a sailors' graveyard." And dumb-dumb is going to do that with two or three years of growth on his bottom and a leaky hold? Oh, no - he's going to swim underneath and scrape with a snow shovel. Proving he's never met a barnacle. What do you and he think? they barely hang on to the bottom by the hairs of their chinny chin-chins?

You are a fool and you trumpet your foolishness when you say things like you won't be a "chicken little." Neither you nor the fool in the boat carting the innocent girl around with him as a playmante for slow times are romantic, brave, daring or noble. But you like to think so until it comes time for a rescue. Then your bleating turns into demands for assistance and complaints it didn't get there quick enough. You are the people who like to talk about your "right" to be let alone and then to be protected against your own foolishness. You are the people who cause good, smart people to die in their attempts to save you from yourselves.

Remember, Sport - you started this nonsense with your filthy opening shot at the good people here. You want to hear them say Reid Stowe is an "able seaman" and a "romantic hippie." Reid Stowe is a fool among fools. And you are a fool leading the cheers for the fool. Before you spout your nonsense and continue your attempt to insult REAL sailors, go read. Go get in a Lightning and sail around New York harbor in a storm. Try swimming from Staten Island to Governor's Island - it'll give you a hint what's in store for your buddy and his chickie.

But - if you're at all serious about any of the crap you spout, call the Coast Guard. Ask them about Stowes judgment and apparent ability. Oh - and while you're on the phone with them, ask them for a copy of the report of his "collision" with the Maersk Dunedin. Until I see that, he's a liar. His bowsprit failed under load and he's embarrassed to admit it.

If your response is similar to what you've said before, stuff it in your ear - it will get a lot more attention there than it will from me.

Word. He's not a romantic or a hero, he's a fool and a knave, and his only hope for survival in this world is the charity and heroism of others.

Who wrote this Wikipedia entry?

It even contains Link to his girlfriend's own separate Wikipedia listing.

Incredible.

not exhaustive, but here are the SA Reid Stowe threads

maybe this should be submitted to Wiki?

crazy way to build a boat - SA oct 05

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=25971

1000 days at sea alone - SA jan 06

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=29552

ny duo set out on 1000 day cruise - CA apr 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=52458

guarenteed failure, but when - CA apr 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=52527

couple cruise for 1000 days - SA apr 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=52463

Rescue Thee from the front page SA may 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=54780

He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy!

not exhaustive, but here are the SA Reid Stowe threads

maybe this should be submitted to Wiki?

crazy way to build a boat - SA oct 05

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=25971

1000 days at sea alone - SA jan 06

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=29552

ny duo set out on 1000 day cruise - CA apr 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=52458

guarenteed failure, but when - CA apr 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=52527

couple cruise for 1000 days - SA apr 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=52463

Rescue Thee from the front page SA may 07

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=54780

He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy!

And what, pray tell, is stopping you?..............

• Downvote 1

http://www.theoceans.net/news.php?id=16039

"When packing the food before they left, it was difficult to gauge exactly how much food they would be eating on a daily basis and how much they would need in order to have it last for three years at sea. Now that they are a ways into their journey, Reid and Soanya have been asking each other questions such as, “Do you think we have enough sprouting seeds to eat salads this big everyday?” and “What if something spoils?” "

"Speaking of food, Reid and Soanya have already eaten the last of their produce; an orange and a plantain. For the remaining 32 months, the couple will be making due with their stored food, sprout salads and caught fish."

NEW YORKERS AND THE ARTS By Maximillien de Lafayette and Arlette Lagrange

THE MAGNIFICENT ONES

Captain Reid Stowe and Suzanna Bowling.

What makes New York the jewel of world's cosmopolitan cities is the unusual talents of its artists, the colorful characters cruising its socialite landscape, and the magnificence of the delightful madness of its geniuses. But basically, the character and unsurpassed creativity of some unusual New Yorkers add an ultra dimension to the magic of New York City. This week, we encountered talents, artists and entrepreneurs of the fifth kind. A kind of people which transcends unorthodoxy and redefines le risque and human magnetism. And this is what counts when we talk about those who bring refreshing breeze and excitement to our lives. People like captain Reid Stowe, Suzanna Bowling, entrepreneurs extraordinaire, adventurers/explorers par excellence and accomplished artists. Suzanna is a well-known Broadway's musicals star, who fortunately or unfortunately abandoned the glitzy world of Broadway and its cabaret to join captain Stowe crew for the 1000 Days Voyage on his Schooner Anne. This woman is a national treasure.

A feature written about the Explorers Club of New York by Conde Nast Traveler describes Reid as being the "genuine article, with an old-fashioned spirit of adventure" and "a man with that rare combination of unbridled passion and impetuosity." Nicholas Sullivan, president of the Explorer's Club, adds that "By virtue of his Voyage of 1000 Days, Reid will be one of the greatest explorers ever." The captain is an astonishing renaissance man, a Shaman, an artist, a philosopher, a writer, a musician, a story teller, a healer and one of those who could positively influence your life. To learn more about the captain, visit http://www.1000days.net/html/captain.htm

http://www.internationalheralddailynews.or...__rick_prol.htm

I miss the guy in the 8 foot boat who was going to eat peanut butter, space pills and plankton.

http://www.theoceans.net/news.php?id=16039

"When packing the food before they left, it was difficult to gauge exactly how much food they would be eating on a daily basis and how much they would need in order to have it last for three years at sea. Now that they are a ways into their journey, Reid and Soanya have been asking each other questions such as, “Do you think we have enough sprouting seeds to eat salads this big everyday?” and “What if something spoils?” "

"Speaking of food, Reid and Soanya have already eaten the last of their produce; an orange and a plantain. For the remaining 32 months, the couple will be making due with their stored food, sprout salads and caught fish."

Cant be bothered.

Well said, I choose to take the same attitude to domestic chores.

Ive never know three other words that can save so much time that would otherwise be spent on needless crap .....

although I do miss the girlfriend.

Well said, I choose to take the same attitude to domestic chores.

Ive never know three other words that can save so much time that would otherwise be spent on needless crap .....

although I do miss the girlfriend.

"too much like work" is useful also, for shirking.

LOL

"I even tried a big flying fish that jumped on deck. I put him in a couple hooks and towed him all morning until we decided that we should eat him ourselves" - Yep. I love dragging dead fish behind the boat before I eat them. Its much better than eating them while still fresh.

"The tangle was so big that I wanted to cut it and throw it away" - Like throwing shit like fishing line over the side is a good call.

A1 Kook.

I was not going to get involved in this, but then I looked at how he built this boat. A lot like ferro cement except he used resin and filler to trowel into the mesh that forms the shape. Like ferrocement, what happens if the steel gets wet inside the resin/filler........?

I was not going to get involved in this, but then I looked at how he built this boat. A lot like ferro cement except he used resin and filler to trowel into the mesh that forms the shape. Like ferrocement, what happens if the steel gets wet inside the resin/filler........?

boats are always fastest just before they break apart.....

It rusts, expands, and cracks the epoxy. For that matter, that much resin is generally brittle and shatters on impacts. Scary. A floating swimming pool... The bottom growth is probably protecting it from much worse.

It rusts, expands, and cracks the epoxy. For that matter, that much resin is generally brittle and shatters on impacts. Scary. A floating swimming pool... The bottom growth is probably protecting it from much worse.

Right. If he dares jump overboard with his snow shovel, he may just sink them cleaning and scraping.

Don't do it!

"Other than the engine, my crap comes off of eBay."

OH...So it was YOU who outbid me for the large selection of portlites!

Ha ha ha.... That was not me! The sizes were wrong- I had to order direct replacements from the original manufacturer- but they ended up being cheaper since they were on clearance! I suspect another Anarchist on this one.... But the stainless Perko stuff is another story.... Ha ha ha.....

Chris :)

It's like the America's Cup. You've got to be implausable and perhaps illegal to do this sort of stunt. 1000 days for Australia? Hopeless. Only New Zealand or America win it.

QUOTE(svgreatwhite @ Jun 27 2007, 09:25 PM)

That's what I was getting at, the deterioration of the steel leading to the destruction of the filler.

At first I thought the boat was steel(maybe because of the bowsprit). Then I read fiberglass. So I think, WOW that is a lot of work for a home builder to built a boat that large out of glass. Then I find there is no fiberglass, just steel, resin and a filler(does anyone know what ferra-lite is?). So, this must be SRP construction(steel reinforced plastic). That sure took a lot of resin! I think I would have felt better if it was ferro cement.

QUOTE(svgreatwhite @ Jun 27 2007, 09:25 PM)

That's what I was getting at, the deterioration of the steel leading to the destruction of the filler.

At first I thought the boat was steel(maybe because of the bowsprit). Then I read fiberglass. So I think, WOW that is a lot of work for a home builder to built a boat that large out of glass. Then I find there is no fiberglass, just steel, resin and a filler(does anyone know what ferra-lite is?). So, this must be SRP construction(steel reinforced plastic). That sure took a lot of resin! I think I would have felt better if it was ferro cement.

You didn't know the Gougeon Brothers had a yard?.............

Rick, some times I gotta just step back and give you a bow

the cargo hold, the cheeses.. the mystery!!!

what does the poor girl think whe she goes below and sees the cheese and thinks 30 months of hard sinkingbowel movements...

pitch, role, yaw

Im LMAO, I can hrdly type !!!

You didn't know the Gougeon Brothers had a yard?.............

Meade and Jan are two of the most non-violent guys I've ever met, and they would probably club you over the head with a carbon sprit if they read this. Then they'd buy you a beer and laugh about it.

After two months working sunup to after sundown on deck, how is it he is so pale? Look at his day 67 picture (they are in the middle of meditative yoga) Even with sunscreen and a hat I'd think he'd have a little color.

another sign of scurvy.....

full sunken eyes by day 110.....any bets?

• 2 weeks later...

"July 6, 2007

Wind SSE 12 knots, Heaved-to, Position 08° 51 N, 23° 31 W

As the wind died down the night before last, I sheeted in the mainsail and foresail, dropping the genoa. This is how we ride our calms. When the wind picks up again from whatever direction, the schooner is facing the wind and is ready for the genoa to be hoisted on whatever tack we want to go. I knew my time had come to go into the ocean and clean the bottom of the schooner. It's definitely not a job I feel comfortable doing, but I do it because I know I have to. I don't dread the task because I love diving and love the bottom of the boat. I know its every curve. I think she's beautiful and deserves to be clean. I just like to play it safe and I give up a certain amount of security when I go in. I put a ladder over the side and a little plywood work platform tied with four ropes next to it. That way I can put my mask into the water and make sure the coast is clear before slipping in. The heat of the day, no wind, and the hot sun made the dive a welcome respite. I look all around into the deep blue and the only life I could see are the three little fishes that have been keeping up with us for weeks now. The bottom of the schooner is completely and evenly covered with barnacles and goose-neck muscles, whose neck is an inch long and so is their shell. I start scraping with my large cement trowel, but the blade is too large, so I switch to my 6" trowel. That one gets in there and scrapes the boat clean with a hard even stroke. I swim to the bottom of the ten foot keel and take a look on the other side. It appears as if we are floating high up in the sky and there is nothing below us. I scrape as long as I can hold my breath, then I come up for air scanning the blue distance again and again. The only thing I saw was a manta ray that came by to check us out. He flapped his wings slowly and glided around. He had two fish with him that looked like remoras, but they were porcelain white and very beautiful as they tagged along with him. I popped my head up to tell Soanya, who said she could see him from the deck. He glided into the blue distance much quicker than I thought and I realized I couldn't see as far away from the boat as I thought. I went back to work moving slowly and methodically, staying close to the hull. By lunch time I was finished and satisfied for the day. We'll have more calms and more than enough time to clean the other side. I'm hoping we'll sail better through the doldrums."

What happened to the shovel?! I pose this question to my nautical mates- how does one scrape 2" of barnacles completely off one side of a 70' boat and its 10' keel with a 6" cement trowel, with snorkel, mind you, and STILL be done in time for lunch?! It took Brian an hour just to scrape barnacles off the prop after the metal anti-fouling paint failed. It would take a diver a few days to scrape that mass of barnacles off a 70' boat. Secondly, seeing how this guy procrastinates on EVERYTHING, what are the chances he will get around to doing the other side anytime soon? Something smells like dried fish to me....

Chris

"July 6, 2007

Wind SSE 12 knots, Heaved-to, Position 08° 51 N, 23° 31 W

I went back to work moving slowly and methodically, staying close to the hull. By lunch time I was finished and satisfied for the day. We'll have more calms and more than enough time to clean the other side. I'm hoping we'll sail better through the doldrums."

What happened to the shovel?! I pose this question to my nautical mates- how does one scrape 2" of barnacles completely off one side of a 70' boat and its 10' keel with a 6" cement trowel, with snorkel, mind you, and STILL be done in time for lunch?! It took Brian an hour just to scrape barnacles off the prop after the metal anti-fouling paint failed. It would take a diver a few days to scrape that mass of barnacles off a 70' boat. Secondly, seeing how this guy procrastinates on EVERYTHING, what are the chances he will get around to doing the other side anytime soon? Something smells like dried fish to me....

Chris

he only said he was finished satisfied for the day. I imagine he actually did a spot the size of a dinner plate, and that was satisfying.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: sailfastandfree.

now why would you do that, its the best part of this thread.

im pretty sure this takes the cake for most entertaining thread on SA in a long long time.

the dude is a total dumbass, first of all not hauling the boat before they left, somehow mysteriously bending the fuck out of a steel bowsprit, running out of fresh food on like day 60, and not really demonstrating any real knowledge of sailing

now why would you do that, its the best part of this thread.

im pretty sure this takes the cake for most entertaining thread on SA in a long long time.

the dude is a total dumbass, first of all not hauling the boat before they left, somehow mysteriously bending the fuck out of a steel bowsprit, running out of fresh food on like day 60, and not really demonstrating any real knowledge of sailing

Nuh uh, Celphtaught. They have plenty of "delicious fresh bean sprouts to make delicious salads." Delicious. If I had to eat bean sprouts for every meal for 1,000 days, I'd be calling in for a medevac.... "Get me out of here!" I was surprised their other fresh food survived so long without spoiling. I can't keep stuff fresh in the humidity controlled drawer for longer than a week!