Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

Nope. Not a troll. Sorry you took "clowns" so poorly. Sense of humor, maybe? Lighten up and answer my question- Did any of you sailors really go out to find them? SAVE SAYONARA!

This article at 1000daysofhell explains...

http://1000daysofhell.blogspot.com/2007/10...ue-odyssey.html

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Posted Images

This is quite amusing...

I found this photo on the 1000days.net site -- it is very obviously a product shot from Magellan's website -- yet, look closely at the bottom of it...

post-19371-1193857499_thumb.jpg

While they complain about the alleged 1000daysofhell copyright infringements, quite obviously, the ReidHovians themselves, are a little unclear on the concept of copyrights.

In his Baggywrinkle Days post, the reason Weed had to secure himself with three lines - even though it was a very calm day - is because when you smoke the good herb you tend to get into what you're doing and forget where you are, so rather than step off into the wild blue yonder, he ties himself off extra carefully! V

O

I

D

H

O

O

O

O

Nope. Not a troll. Sorry you took "clowns" so poorly. Sense of humor, maybe? Lighten up and answer my question- Did any of you sailors really go out to find them? SAVE SAYONARA!

ummm.............................................OK.............................

.................TROLL.

Nice try, "did any of YOU SAILORS really go out and find them?" obviously, a Reid Hovian troll, not a sailor. Maybe try to register under another name.

NWS

OK, who posed as Carolyn Ann, a crossdressing aethist, in their 10/30 entry?

"Do you expect many trick or treaters? Just kidding..."

That cannot be real. He loves motorcycles...Is that you, Swannie? :ph34r:

Nope, I am a transsexual Branch Davidian.

ummm.............................................OK.............................

.................TROLL.

Nice try, "did any of YOU SAILORS really go out and find them?" obviously, a Reid Hovian troll, not a sailor. Maybe try to register under another name.

NWS

post-21602-1193867642.jpg

It's the Great Pumpkin, Weid Ho!

Now thats a life raft worthy of the Cheese Scow.

Actually, it looks almost MORE sane than the cheese scow. Note the flotation collar, the "adequate" motor mount, spare paddle, clean bottom, life jacket, etc. The hull is at least as fair as the Cheese Anne.

Plus....its actually going faster.... and its more nutritious than sprouts too!

Actually, it looks almost MORE sane than the cheese scow. Note the flotation collar, the "adequate" motor mount, spare paddle, clean bottom, life jacket, etc. The hull is at least as fair as the Cheese Anne.

Plus....its actually going faster.... and its more nutritious than sprouts too!

Very true!

OK, who posed as Carolyn Ann, a crossdressing aethist, in their 10/30 entry?

"Do you expect many trick or treaters? Just kidding..."

That cannot be real. He loves motorcycles...Is that you, Swannie? :ph34r:

I think it is real. And while the profile is amusing enough, I headed over to the blog. Carolyn Ann posts this on October 27, 2007:

Damn! I hate it when people - society - tries to limit what can be said! I don't have to like what you say, but I have to defend your right to be obnoxious.
So I wonder what s/he thinks about the fact one of her/his favorite blogs heavily censors their comments to the point that they don't post anything that isn't "Reid is good! You're my heros! God Bless!" to their own blogsite.

Here is "Carolyn Ann":

post-21187-1193882353_thumb.jpg

Gotta hand it to his wife. It would be a deal breaker for me.

What is the deal breaker - the Aethist or the Cross Dresser part??? :o

Not that there is anything wrong with that

Well, especially the crossdressing, but the Atheist part doesn't do much for me either.

From reading his blog, he's pretty good around the house. He would have been a good companion on the Cheese Scow.

I mean, think about it: a man, a woman/child, and someone who can be man or woman. The dynamics would be much better than 2 men and a woman or vice versa I would imagine. And Carolyn Ann sounds MUCH better about getting stuff done than Weed-I'll-Get-To-It-Dammit-woman-we're-out-here-for-1000-days-what's-your-rush is.

Do cross dressers always like those damn MaryJanes? Part of the standard uniform or does it go back to catholic school days (well, that would explain the atheism part)? Gee, I didn't find a pic of him. Guess I didn't look hard enough. The guy/girl likes to cook though... :ph34r:

Do cross dressers always like those damn MaryJanes? Part of the standard uniform or does it go back to catholic school days (well, that would explain the atheism part)? Gee, I didn't find a pic of him. Guess I didn't look hard enough. The guy/girl likes to cook though... :ph34r:

Cooks AND installs propane fireplaces???

Maybe not husband material, but certainly roommate.

hey, don't knock the mary janes, i have two pair. not that there's anything wrong with that.

Geez. Can't a newbie get any respect? A Reid Hovian....YES!

hummmmmmm........

all 5 posts in this thread.

yea right!

wistler to the rescue! reid ho!

note to self....post in another thread for the perception of a real member. ahh, nevermind, just go away!

But are they size 13??? :lol::P;)

no. 7...women's 7. though i do prefer the men's camet sailing shorts, better pockets and longer. does that make me a cross dresser? lol nttatwwt. how's my new hair do? i was going for a sassy soanya cut.

Mhoward.jpg

THIS IS SO GOOD YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP:

When you go to comments in the latest navigation update on 1000 days at sea, drill into the name Terry, and then open up his blogsite at http://transitionyourlife.blogspot.com/200...01_archive.html

and open up his august contributions on that blogsite, and you will find a link to this site:

http://www.ancientcalendar.net/voidperiod.htm

Suprise suprise, It tells you that Reid is experiencing a Void Period from Feb 4, 2006 ~ Feb 3, 2008.

"During this time people tend to do strange things and then say, “why have I done such a stupid thing!” after the VOID PERIOD is over. It is wise to take the VOID PERIOD as a resting time. Try not to start anything new. Look back on what you have done in the past, and work on strategies for the future.

The VOID PERIOD is the gift from the Universe so that we can tackle our own karmic lessons. Embrace this tough period and you will be a better and different person.

What To Do and What NOT To Do during VOID PERIOD:

WHAT TO DO: Pray, read, study, exercise, meditate, do anything that enriches your spirituality, medical checkups. Mainly, focus on healing and nurturing yourself.

WHAT “NOT” TO DO: Do NOT start anything new. Things you particularly want to avoid ? moving, buying and renovating a house, starting a new investment or business, changing a job, marriage and so on ? If you are required to make changes (such as your work requires you to relocate), you will have to take the risk.

VOID months in 2007: Oct 9 ~ Dec 6

Currently in VOID years: Feb 4, 2006 ~ Feb 3, 2008"

Corroboration for this can be found at website

http://www.janetsplan-its.com/info/MoonVoid.shtml

"The Moon represents emotions (which fluctuate a lot!) as well as reactions and habits. It’s strongly related to eating, comfort and security. Its aspects show motivations, so when it’s not motivating us, we’re more apt to drift. This is another feature of Moon Void of Course. The name gives the hint: lacking a destination.

During Moon Void of Course, when we wander aimlessly around stores not shopping for anything in particular, we sometimes have good luck. But when we set out to find a particular item, we’re more likely not to end up with a happy result. Later we don’t use that item, or if it’s a gift, the recipient isn’t thrilled with it."

and also at http://accessnewage.com/Felissa/voiddes.htm

"During a void of course period individuals are less focused. Human judgment is not at its best and consequently decision making tends to suffer. In the void of course period one should avoid: initiating new activities; purchasing new items; contacts or meetings with important people; signing contracts. Business discussions are unlikely to be resolved and if matters don’t fall apart they will be put off to another time.

Information relayed for the first time will either be incorrect or not useful. You will be aware of shortages and defects. Purchases ought only to be made if they are exact replacements of something you’ve run out of. You’ll also become aware of mistakes and errors during this time.

What you begin during a void of course Moon you usually don’t do again. So don’t make love with someone for the first time if you think you might want to again.

During a void period avoid bringing anything in for repair or consulting a physician or anyone else who’s judgment is important to you. "

and at http://www.cafeastrology.com/timingwiththemoon.html

"Activities started during the void period generally don't work out to our liking, or they need some serious adjustment in order for them to meet any success. Therefore, if possible, one should avoid going on a first date, a job interview, starting a business or project, and so forth, during the Void of Course Moon. In Horary Astrology, in which a person asks a question and then the astrologer draws a chart of that moment in order to find an answer, if the Moon is Void of Course, we generally consider that "nothing will come of the matter"."

and at http://www.karinlynn.homestead.com/moonvoid.html

"During this void period, the Moon is likened to travelling in a vacuum. Projects started under Moon VOC never seem to get off the ground. Action becomes ineffective. Plans fail to materialize. You may not have all the information needed to make sound decisions.

The keyword to remember for Moon VOC is "NOTHING" ~ because nothing may come of it!"

It took a Reid Hovian to find out the answer to this mystery....

The moon made him do it.... (must be the pull of the cheese)..... lol

"It was none other than our old friend Jupiter, now buttermilk yellow, rising in the southeast as it did every night."

Um, no, it is either a gob of Reid's ear wax or cheese stuck on the plastic sky hatch, or the moon Sayonara, follow the mooooon and use the shoooovel.

" that red light was very disconcerting."

Um, no its not, ask any sailor home on leave, and he will tell you the same as Reid does...

You think better on your back Sayonara (aka $2Iloveyoulongtime).....

Where will Reid get baggywrinkle from now that the only mattress he has left is Sayonara ?

And the question of the day:

what does Reid do with all those rags he uses to wipe up the leaking diesel ?

More Jet Fuel for the Fire

Have not seem these posted as of yet....WARNING 50 minutes of your life you will never get back, but most can't help themselves....

Same old Reid - that's where I found the quote I posted on Reid's Wiki page:

I was making paintings specifically for astronauts to take with them into space, because if I thought if an astronaut was going into space, he would definitely want to take one of my paintings. -- Reid Stowe

Just a tad of ego here?

Could you imagine a trip to mars where you had to stare at a Reid painting hanging over the mantle for 500+ days?

I was making paintings specifically for astronauts to take with them into space, because if I thought if an astronaut was going into space, [then] he would definitely want to take one of my paintings. -- Reid Stowe

I know this is just being silly, but its also fun... Notice Reid's logic in the above quote -- extrapolating that line of reasoning, then... If Reid thought I was going to the store, I wonder if that would make me want some cheese.

--

OGR

Metocean tracker has the intrepid voyagers doing another loop during the last 24 hours.

Wonder if course combined with silence at Mission Control is indicative of yet another problem.

I think it is real. And while the profile is amusing enough, I headed over to the blog. Carolyn Ann posts this on October 27, 2007: So I wonder what s/he thinks about the fact one of her/his favorite blogs heavily censors their comments to the point that they don't post anything that isn't "Reid is good! You're my heros! God Bless!" to their own blogsite.

Here is "Carolyn Ann":

post-21187-1193882353_thumb.jpg

Gotta hand it to his wife. It would be a deal breaker for me.

Looks a lot like the photo that I have of Capt Lith... I wonder...

Looks a lot like the photo that I have of Capt Lith... I wonder...

In response to the fact that Carolyn links his/her blog to a blog that practices extreme censorship:

Sara said... Ouch on the leg. That happened to me this summer working on the toerails of the boat. Could barely walk for 2 days.

I have to ask you, if free speech is so important to you, why do you not have an issue with the fact on the 1000 Days at Sea that the comments are HEAVILY sensored so that even people who have legitimate questions that might be laced with slight skepticism (I am not talking about the out and out mean or negative comments. I understand why they aren't posted) are not posted on the blog for R&S to read, or for others to read and respond to.

Wed Oct 31, 10:12:00 PM

icon_delete13.gif Carolyn Ann said... I didn't know they were, Sara.

I don't know why they are; and it would depend on the reason before I could feel safe providing an opinion on that. My apologies for being such a wimp!

Sometimes, people just don't like criticism. A personal blog is a bit like "your" doorstep: you do have some say in who gets to stand there. I love free expression, but I won't allow any religious hawking on my doorstep! (My wife tells me I could be a lot more polite about it all... Oh well!)

Blog comments are, essentially, a provided forum. A blogger takes advantage of a technical feature provided by the blog vendor. But as it's "my" blog, I get to choose whether comments are allowed, etcetera. It's still an evolving arena, and I can't really say how I feel about it. Internet trolls sort of make the whole approval thing a necessity, but we'd all like to voice our own opinions. Sometimes the blog owner just denies "us" the privilege of "their" forum! (They can't stop anyone from posting on their own blog, though.)

Blimey. I really do wimp out on this issue! But I really do think there is a difference between the "forum" and the "message".

I link to "1000 Days at Sea" because it's an adventure I wish I could take! (Usually lengthy, half-hearted and semi-plausible reasons get inserted here as to why I don't indulge in at least some adventure...)

Sorry to be such a wimp on this, Sara! :-) <- Embarrassed smiley...

Carolyn Ann

Cheesus Christ! I thought the picture was of the wife until I enlarged it just now. The Fred Flintstone stubble is.... is.... I'm at a loss for words.

And here I had the impression that you wife is well... more of a dog? :ph34r:

THIS IS SO GOOD YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP:

When you go to comments in the latest navigation update on 1000 days at sea, drill into the name Terry, and then open up his blogsite at http://transitionyourlife.blogspot.com/200...01_archive.html

and open up his august contributions on that blogsite, and you will find a link to this site:

http://www.ancientcalendar.net/voidperiod.htm

Suprise suprise, It tells you that Reid is experiencing a Void Period from Feb 4, 2006 ~ Feb 3, 2008.

"During this time people tend to do strange things and then say, “why have I done such a stupid thing!” after the VOID PERIOD is over. It is wise to take the VOID PERIOD as a resting time. Try not to start anything new. Look back on what you have done in the past, and work on strategies for the future.

The VOID PERIOD is the gift from the Universe so that we can tackle our own karmic lessons. Embrace this tough period and you will be a better and different person.

What To Do and What NOT To Do during VOID PERIOD:

WHAT TO DO: Pray, read, study, exercise, meditate, do anything that enriches your spirituality, medical checkups. Mainly, focus on healing and nurturing yourself.

WHAT “NOT” TO DO: Do NOT start anything new. Things you particularly want to avoid ? moving, buying and renovating a house, starting a new investment or business, changing a job, marriage and so on ? If you are required to make changes (such as your work requires you to relocate), you will have to take the risk.

VOID months in 2007: Oct 9 ~ Dec 6

Currently in VOID years: Feb 4, 2006 ~ Feb 3, 2008"

Corroboration for this can be found at website

http://www.janetsplan-its.com/info/MoonVoid.shtml

"The Moon represents emotions (which fluctuate a lot!) as well as reactions and habits. It’s strongly related to eating, comfort and security. Its aspects show motivations, so when it’s not motivating us, we’re more apt to drift. This is another feature of Moon Void of Course. The name gives the hint: lacking a destination.

During Moon Void of Course, when we wander aimlessly around stores not shopping for anything in particular, we sometimes have good luck. But when we set out to find a particular item, we’re more likely not to end up with a happy result. Later we don’t use that item, or if it’s a gift, the recipient isn’t thrilled with it."

and also at http://accessnewage.com/Felissa/voiddes.htm

"During a void of course period individuals are less focused. Human judgment is not at its best and consequently decision making tends to suffer. In the void of course period one should avoid: initiating new activities; purchasing new items; contacts or meetings with important people; signing contracts. Business discussions are unlikely to be resolved and if matters don’t fall apart they will be put off to another time.

Information relayed for the first time will either be incorrect or not useful. You will be aware of shortages and defects. Purchases ought only to be made if they are exact replacements of something you’ve run out of. You’ll also become aware of mistakes and errors during this time.

What you begin during a void of course Moon you usually don’t do again. So don’t make love with someone for the first time if you think you might want to again.

During a void period avoid bringing anything in for repair or consulting a physician or anyone else who’s judgment is important to you. "

and at http://www.cafeastrology.com/timingwiththemoon.html

"Activities started during the void period generally don't work out to our liking, or they need some serious adjustment in order for them to meet any success. Therefore, if possible, one should avoid going on a first date, a job interview, starting a business or project, and so forth, during the Void of Course Moon. In Horary Astrology, in which a person asks a question and then the astrologer draws a chart of that moment in order to find an answer, if the Moon is Void of Course, we generally consider that "nothing will come of the matter"."

and at http://www.karinlynn.homestead.com/moonvoid.html

"During this void period, the Moon is likened to travelling in a vacuum. Projects started under Moon VOC never seem to get off the ground. Action becomes ineffective. Plans fail to materialize. You may not have all the information needed to make sound decisions.

The keyword to remember for Moon VOC is "NOTHING" ~ because nothing may come of it!"

It took a Reid Hovian to find out the answer to this mystery....

The moon made him do it.... (must be the pull of the cheese)..... lol

This is real??? I guess you are right, you cannot make this shit up, but holy cow, this is totally beyond anything!

SF - if my EX wife was a dog, she'd be a St. Bernard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I took one of those online psych profile thingies that tell you what kind of dog you would be and it turned out that I'm a Bernese Mountain Dog (never heard of it before), but the "dog" that lives with me took it and it told her that she was a Chihuahua...

She just kept redoing the test until it finally told her she was a Collie. So much for just the fun of it.... <_<

"Bottom Cleaning Yields an Ocean Worm"

day-192-ocean-worm-sm.jpg

Soanya - “wow, what a complex little creature.” and "We tossed it back in the ocean where it came from"

That's the best they can do? Get 1/4 of the bottom clean and send back a picture of a worm? You could have hidden a Buick in there and all we get is one fucking worm? How can you have fun with this situation when their drivel reads like a 1st grader's nature report from a hike to the pond behind the school? They're no fun anymore.

Tapeworms? Now that'd be a story worth posting.

It had tiny little hair-like things on its underside and it sure moved with a lot of cool tiny wave motions.

Yeah, I bet you've got a lot of "tiny little hair-like things" on your underside too, Soanya, but will we get to see pictures of that?

Never mind -- bad idea.

Sailflat,

Have you ever thought of opening an online store at 1000 days of hell?

VOID HO t-shirts, hats and posters

Nautigirl's Album

Sprouts and Cheese

miniature Squawk woodcarvings

Extra mattresses for baggywrinkles

Bowsprit Design for Dummies

And everything else a Hovian equipped sailor needs for a 1000 day odyssey.

Yeah, I bet you've got a lot of "tiny little hair-like things" on your underside too, Soanya, but will we get to see pictures of that?

Never mind -- bad idea.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Careful what you wish for! Remember, the Reid Hovians are following this site, and have a tendency to respond on the blog.

"Bottom Cleaning Yields an Ocean Worm"

day-192-ocean-worm-sm.jpg

That's the best they can do? Get 1/4 of the bottom clean and send back a picture of a worm? You could have hidden a Buick in there and all we get is one fucking worm? How can you have fun with this situation when their drivel reads like a 1st grader's nature report from a hike to the pond behind the school? They're no fun anymore.

Tapeworms? Now that'd be a story worth posting.

Never mind -- bad idea.

:blink::lol::blink: Never mind...cracked me up!

We tossed it back in the ocean where it came from

Soanya -- That worm didn't come from the the equatorial Atlantic Ocean. It rubbed off a piling in Hoboken, New Jersey 2 years ago and was living in the bottom forest until you dropped it overboard to it's certain death by pressurized implosion.

Worm killer.

Soanya -- That worm didn't come from the the equatorial Atlantic Ocean. It rubbed off a piling in Hoboken, New Jersey 2 years ago and was living in the bottom forest until you dropped it overboard to it's certain death by pressurized implosion.

Worm killer.

Comments like this make me wish they DID read SA!

There's no way on earth (or ocean) that you could get me to jump overboard out there in the middle of nothingness, I don't care if I had California kelp growing off the rudder. Why aren't there any sharks lurking around that reef? It certainly has the food chain going on to attract a great white or two. I'd love a picture of that...Sayonara (and she would be sayonara)) hanging OB taking shots of some mahi-mahi and a great white frigging doing a 'Jaws' jump on her. If she survived the fright, she'd never come up on deck for the rest of the trip! :lol:

More, more we wan't more. So entertaining! So anyone want to drift around the ocean with me for almost 3 years. Help me build a schooner out of dog shit and you may win the trip of a lifetime (Ihave 2 dogs working on the needed materials right now!). Donations accepted. Ried is my hero!

ick

Reid is gonna have a freaking heart attack cleaning that bottom. I would just be totally freaked to be in deep water like that. Man! Holding his breath scraping 6" at a time of serious barnacles. What a fool. He shoulda been doing this every couple of weeks not every 3 months. Wonder how old his bottom paint is? He must have had a lot of crap on the bottom of the boat from just sitting in harbour too. They are a total ecosystem now - no wonder the mahi mahi are hanging around. God knows what else is coming around for a snack either - no wonder Reid is all freaky being in the deep like that.

When we were cruising (5 years in the Caribbean) we hauled twice and cleaned the bottom every 4 weeks - and that was a job on just a 41 footer. Plus we had a Third Lung so we could stay down to do it.

Reid was not prepared for this trip and his old crap is gonna start giving out the further south he gets. He must have a clue but Soanya sure doesn't.

Cheesus Christ! I thought the picture was of the wife until I enlarged it just now. The Fred Flintstone stubble is.... is.... I'm at a loss for words.

Good eyes Dog! But definitely one of those situations, where it looks good from far and is far from good!

Reid is gonna have a freaking heart attack cleaning that bottom. I would just be totally freaked to be in deep water like that. Man! Holding his breath scraping 6" at a time of serious barnacles. What a fool. He shoulda been doing this every couple of weeks not every 3 months. Wonder how old his bottom paint is? He must have had a lot of crap on the bottom of the boat from just sitting in harbour too. They are a total ecosystem now - no wonder the mahi mahi are hanging around. God knows what else is coming around for a snack either - no wonder Reid is all freaky being in the deep like that.

When we were cruising (5 years in the Caribbean) we hauled twice and cleaned the bottom every 4 weeks - and that was a job on just a 41 footer. Plus we had a Third Lung so we could stay down to do it.

Reid was not prepared for this trip and his old crap is gonna start giving out the further south he gets. He must have a clue but Soanya sure doesn't.

Having been the skipper of a 100 year-old wooden schooner with shitty bottom paint and no budget in Equatorial waters, I can easily tell you how long it takes.

Forever. Seriously.

And those little bastard crabs that somehow always make it to your ear canal to hide are really annoying.

More, more we wan't more. So entertaining! So anyone want to drift around the ocean with me for almost 3 years. Help me build a schooner out of dog shit and you may win the trip of a lifetime (Ihave 2 dogs working on the needed materials right now!). Donations accepted. Ried is my hero!

ick

I can donate some "building materials" - where do you want me to send it?

Having been the skipper of a 100 year-old wooden schooner with shitty bottom paint and no budget in Equatorial waters, I can easily tell you how long it takes.

Forever. Seriously.

The only experience I have had with scraping would be wallpaper off walls of a 12' x 12' room and that took forever.

So I am seriously curious that it seems Reidy has scraped clean the hull of a 70' cheese scow in only two days. Can this really be done?

Or is this just more fiction for the readers of the void ho blog?

If it was only worms on the bottom, he should have just dragged the bottom across the living room carpet.

That works for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFL!!!!!!

Now I have to clean off, my monitor and keyboard...

FYI - Don't drink anything while reading this board!

OK, somebody figure this out for me, please...The scow's bottom below the water line is how many square feet? I mean, if it only sat 2 feet in the water that would still be 280 sq. ft., but it's gotta be much more than that. So I'm supposed to believe that the 100 pound malnourished weaking is able to clean more than 500 sq. ft. of barnacle encrusted hull while free floating? Nothing to hold onto to give him leverage while trying to scrape 'cement.' Man, I'm blonde and was born at night, but it wasn't last night and I'm not dumb. I can't wait to read the intelligent comments that his fan club will make about this one. Shit, do I wish we could post there...I'd be up all night. Not to mention that all those barnacles being scraped would result in an awful lot of fresh barnacle juice free falling in the deep dark blue attracting all sorts of critters. Just how do you manage to keep an eye out for sharks, surface every 1-1/2 minutes for a breath of air, free-float-scrape and get it done in two days? Not happening. <_<:blink::angry:

Is there a kind soul among you who could write Cliff Notes for wtf is happening with the fabulous Couple Cruise?

I'm logging in now and then and feel lost among all the strange twists to this story. Wronged exes, blogs, rescue missions, phantom positioning... I can't bring myself to read all the pages and just want to know the short and ugly. This thread attracts me like tabloid headlines but I can't keep track of what's happening. :blink:

OK, somebody figure this out for me, please...The scow's bottom below the water line is how many square feet? I mean, if it only sat 2 feet in the water that would still be 280 sq. ft., but it's gotta be much more than that. So I'm supposed to believe that the 100 pound malnourished weaking is able to clean more than 500 sq. ft. of barnacle encrusted hull while free floating? Nothing to hold onto to give him leverage while trying to scrape 'cement.' Man, I'm blonde and was born at night, but it wasn't last night and I'm not dumb. I can't wait to read the intelligent comments that his fan club will make about this one. Shit, do I wish we could post there...I'd be up all night. Not to mention that all those barnacles being scraped would result in an awful lot of fresh barnacle juice free falling in the deep dark blue attracting all sorts of critters. Just how do you manage to keep an eye out for sharks, surface every 1-1/2 minutes for a breath of air, free-float-scrape and get it done in two days? Not happening. <_<:blink::angry:

IF they really are as far offshore as they claim, the risk of sharks is pretty damned small. While sharks might follow a boat for days if it's dropping off fish carcasses, I can't think of anything appealing coming from the Cheese Scow that they'd be interested in. Sprout-flavored feces just can't be that appetizing.

I'm guessing Reid will really need to scrape again in around three days, and every three days after that. Maybe then they'll break the imaginary 2-knot barrier.

So I am seriously curious that it seems Reidy has scraped clean the hull of a 70' cheese scow in only two days. Can this really be done?

I have dived on many boats and boathouses over the years. Used to make part of my living doing it. I once dove a 55' Monk whose bottom was covered in mussels. And I did it with full SCUBA and a dry suit. It took me nearly two full tanks of air, about an hour and a half, and a LOT of work. Could he have done it in two days just by holding his breath (and dropping down 10 feet? Perhaps. But I can't imagine it being a thorough job. (BTW: the owner of that boat asked me to do it again about 6 months later. I refused and told him to haul. By the time you need to scrape, you should already have hauled and painted.) And I don't know how the ferro-bondo hull would hold up to the scraper--he may well do damage.

Another consideration here: when you're underwater, weightless, you need some sort of leverage (equal and opposite reaction and all). That's tough to get when there's nothing to hold on to. Without something like that, you just push yourself away from the boat. I've used the force of my fins, but it isn't very efficient.

Regardless of the completeness of the job, they'll need to do this regularly and frequently: if they had anti-fouling paint, it's failed. This is a job for a yard, not for the middle of the Atlantic. (Of course, if they were neatly tucked in some tropical lagoon somewhere with a shoreline and palm fronds . . . ).

post-1446-1193958084_thumb.jpg

DWO

The only experience I have had with scraping would be wallpaper off walls of a 12' x 12' room and that took forever.

Well a rough guess would be that they have somewhat more that 1400 square feet of hull below the waterline (assuming that the cheese scow is loaded to it's design waterline), plus fiddly bits like the rudder, prop, propshaft, 'repaired' patches, etc. Every square inch of that will need to have a thick coating of mussels, barnacles, weed, and who knows what else scraped off, by a 55 year old hippie with malnutrition and scurvy, but no underwater breathing apparatus. If he can do more than a 10 square foot patch each time he goes into the water I'd be surprised, and that's probably being overly generous. So, by my reckoning it should take him something like 150 days, by which time he'll have to start doing it all over again. To do it all in two days is impossible, IMHO. My bet is he's scraped a ring around the waterline, the window in the bottom, and that's about it - he can tell his GF that he's done the whole thing, and she'd be none the wiser (never having sailed on a boat that didn't resemble a floating reef).

OK, somebody figure this out for me, please

OK, I am not certain about the cheese scow’s exact size – but I assume 20 foot beam and 60 foot length at the waterline

Then assuming the bottom is roundy shaped – I assume a half cylinder

Disregarding any keel, prop, or rudder I get about 1800 sq ft. – so OK, lets cut him some slack and say it’s 1500 sq ft.

Let’s further say it takes one minute to clean a single sq foot of bottom – don’t know, but that seems right if he is really scraping off barnacles. –It would be faster if he was just wiping – and I suspect much longer if he is really doing a diligent job of cleaning, but still

Since he is free diving and holding his breath 60 seconds while scraping each sq ft – (yea, right) – we need to further assume he needs two minutes to recover breathing on the surface. That comes to 3 minutes per sq ft.

1500 sq ft X 3 minutes each = 4500 minutes to clean the bottom.

4500 minutes / 60 minutes/ hr = 75 hours

That’s 9.3 - 8 hour days diving the bottom –

Well done weedy

Is there a kind soul among you who could write Cliff Notes for wtf is happening with the fabulous Couple Cruise?

I'm logging in now and then and feel lost among all the strange twists to this story. Wronged exes, blogs, rescue missions, phantom positioning... I can't bring myself to read all the pages and just want to know the short and ugly. This thread attracts me like tabloid headlines but I can't keep track of what's happening. :blink:

Nah, it would absloutely lose too much of its flavor in Cliff notes. You must read the whole 50 pages, but be sure to keep all liquids away from the keyboard and screen. :lol::lol::lol:

OK, I am not certain about the cheese scow’s exact size – but I assume 20 foot beam and 60 foot length at the waterline

Then assuming the bottom is roundy shaped – I assume a half cylinder

Disregarding any keel, prop, or rudder I get about 1800 sq ft. – so OK, lets cut him some slack and say it’s 1500 sq ft.

Let’s further say it takes one minute to clean a single sq foot of bottom – don’t know, but that seems right if he is really scraping off barnacles. –It would be faster if he was just wiping – and I suspect much longer if he is really doing a diligent job of cleaning, but still

Since he is free diving and holding his breath 60 seconds while scraping each sq ft – (yea, right) – we need to further assume he needs two minutes to recover breathing on the surface. That comes to 3 minutes per sq ft.

1500 sq ft X 3 minutes each = 4500 minutes to clean the bottom.

4500 minutes / 60 minutes/ hr = 75 hours

Well done weedy

Thank you, Pete :wub:

Well done weedy

Wow, you think he can manage an 8 hour day in the water, cleaning the bottom? I was working on him maybe managing an hour or so before having to come out for a sprout salad and a lie down. If he worked at your rate I'd expect the next picture of him to look like he'd just checked out of Belsen (or more realistically, that he has a heart attack under water and floats off, Void Ho!)

Wow, you think he can manage an 8 hour day in the water

not a chance - just a guess about the time required - did not factor in break times

If it was me, I guess I could work about 15 minutes at a time - makes me tired just thinking about it

Wow, you think he can manage an 8 hour day in the water, cleaning the bottom? I was working on him maybe managing an hour or so before having to come out for a sprout salad and a lie down. If he worked at your rate I'd expect the next picture of him to look like he'd just checked out of Belsen (or more realistically, that he has a heart attack under water and floats off, Void Ho!)

I've spent an hour or more free-diving on a hull in the ocean clearing a prop and another hour or so clearing a clogged head (fugly job - sure way to get sick too.) and was exhausted both times. 30 seconds down whaling away is about all you can do, and you want to come right back up, then you need a couple of minutes to catch your breath and go again. It's much harder than just holding your breath grooving on coral and such in shallow water. You need a suction cup (which wouldn't stick on the cheese scow) and grab lines and its a total pain in the ass. After three months, barnacles aren't going to come off easy.

Pics or it didn't happen. Before and after. I think he knocked down the crap at the waterline to an inch or so and called it good.

BTW, has anybody asked....WHAT'S IT RATE?????

A few months after we hauled and painted our 30' boat's bottom, the prop (yes, we used the right primer and paint for the stupid thing) was fouled with barnacles. This took the hubby an hour and a half to scrape, using a snorkel and mask, on a calm day, with the boat tied to the dock. (Note- not a single barnacle on the bottom- just the prop. It's a little 3-blade prop, at that!) There was a lot of cursing and bleeding. This activity also attracted sea life- fish and a curious manatee who rubbed up against him, this scaring the crap out of him. Barnacles are no joke.

That being said, Reid is full of crap. He probably has a reef growing on the bottom of the boat, and as you guys said, is probably just knocking the big stuff off. I suspect that the growth is actually holding the damn boat together, like some sort of "sea-poxy." If he actually scrapes it all off, the boat will fall apart.

Then there's the fact that the boat is drifting at 2 knots. The barnacle babies, worms, etc. can go faster than the boat. The bottom paint has totally failed and he's probably taking it off with the barnacles at this point so essentially he has a never ending job. And I agree it's darn hard to clean the bottom of a boat in the water - no leverage. Can't imagine doing it free diving. Can't imagine doing it in the middle of the ocean with visibility severely limited by all the floating bits you're creating. And I know that a bottom cleaning attracts feeders - he's chumming the water for sure. Maybe not a lot of sharks around but if it was me, I'd be nervous. So we have a middle aged guy, under weight, not enough protein to work hard, free diving scraping massive barnacles with a 6" scraper and hyperventilating because he doesn't know what's down there.

And this is just ONE of MANY problems that he has. Things will start to go bad when he puts that boat into big seas and winds for sure. Sprouts will be flying everywhere!

I have dived on many boats and boathouses over the years. Used to make part of my living doing it. I once dove a 55' Monk whose bottom was covered in mussels. And I did it with full SCUBA and a dry suit. It took me nearly two full tanks of air, about an hour and a half, and a LOT of work. Could he have done it in two days just by holding his breath (and dropping down 10 feet? Perhaps. But I can't imagine it being a thorough job. (BTW: the owner of that boat asked me to do it again about 6 months later. I refused and told him to haul. By the time you need to scrape, you should already have hauled and painted.) And I don't know how the ferro-bondo hull would hold up to the scraper--he may well do damage.

Another consideration here: when you're underwater, weightless, you need some sort of leverage (equal and opposite reaction and all). That's tough to get when there's nothing to hold on to. Without something like that, you just push yourself away from the boat. I've used the force of my fins, but it isn't very efficient.

Regardless of the completeness of the job, they'll need to do this regularly and frequently: if they had anti-fouling paint, it's failed. This is a job for a yard, not for the middle of the Atlantic. (Of course, if they were neatly tucked in some tropical lagoon somewhere with a shoreline and palm fronds . . . ).

post-1446-1193958084_thumb.jpg

DWO

Well a rough guess would be that they have somewhat more that 1400 square feet of hull below the waterline (assuming that the cheese scow is loaded to it's design waterline), plus fiddly bits like the rudder, prop, propshaft, 'repaired' patches, etc. Every square inch of that will need to have a thick coating of mussels, barnacles, weed, and who knows what else scraped off, by a 55 year old hippie with malnutrition and scurvy, but no underwater breathing apparatus. If he can do more than a 10 square foot patch each time he goes into the water I'd be surprised, and that's probably being overly generous. So, by my reckoning it should take him something like 150 days, by which time he'll have to start doing it all over again. To do it all in two days is impossible, IMHO. My bet is he's scraped a ring around the waterline, the window in the bottom, and that's about it - he can tell his GF that he's done the whole thing, and she'd be none the wiser (never having sailed on a boat that didn't resemble a floating reef).

Thank you for these explanations....I will take these as NFW he could have done it! :P

I had a very close look at the worm picture, even the tapeworms are abandoning him uuuggghhh

but have a good look at the background near the elbow, that is definitely a shoreline. No doubt about it. something is drifting out there giving a signal and it aint the Ann. Reid may be a stoopid, but he has a degree of street savvy to have survived so far. My vote is that he is hiding out in some non western enclave while whilst reaming sayonaras hairy bits and waiting for the right time to head back.

Thank you for these explanations....I will take these as NFW he could have done it! :P

Nope. I burned up almost 160 cubic feet of air (at the surface) and was huffing pretty good. What's been said about having to pause for a significant amount of time between dives is accurate. Scraping isn't like wiping the cheese crumbs off the table. And the cold (if he is indeed in cold water) would get to him pretty quickly.

NFW!

My .02, DWO

Maybe he's eating the bottom.

I cleaned the slime of my 22 footer in temperate water with the sea floor clearly visible. Still slightly freaky because its hard to scrub with nothing to push against and its very easy to get over worked and short of breath. On that dirty, dark and hairy bottom it would be very disconcerting. mind you he has had a lot of practice on other dark hairy and dirty bottoms........