Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

Makes you wonder what kind of "sprouts" they are eating?

This guy scares me. Only 900 more days to go...

Chris :)

And 900 more updatey's.

My new popcorn machine has just arrived. With a 3 year warranty. 'Cuz you just never know........

Edited by R Booth
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

I wonder if they served "sprouts & parmesan" with aluminum shovel? Anyhoo, they made it 100 days. Other than ripping off their bowsprit with a cargo ship, a few storms, and some torn sails due to poor maintence, they really haven't had any major issues to contend with. What's scary is how Reid is slowww to respond to anything that happens with his, "I'll get around to it another day" attitude. If Soanya falls overboard, will his post read, "Sweet Soanya was knocked off the boat with a wheel of parmesan. She is floating in the azure blue waters. Eventually, when the wind is right, I will return and retrieve her. I will lay a trail of sprouts in the water to find my way back to her. Meanwhile, she will sustain on the highly nutritious cheese and do mediative yoga with the playful dolphins. I must reserve my energy and rest so that I may eventually retrieve Soanya..."

This guy scares me. Only 900 more days to go...

It's not so bad for her...all she has to do is sing some Culture Club or maybe a Frankie Goes to Hollywood tune to get through the danger.

"August 1, 2007

Day 101

Upcoming Plans

Wind SSE 15 knots, Course SW, Speed 3 knots, Position: 15 17 S, 31 41 W

Our plans for the next 100 days are to stay in the South Atlantic ocean and try to sail the shape of the heart. That was our original intention though we are a little behind schedule. Our diminished windward ability and the insistent head winds have downsized the giant heart we wanted to sail, but we are still going to try...Once we get far enough south and a little east, we can turn back up to the north east as we did with the drawing of the Sea Turtle. We are working with the variables of the prevailing winds and currents and hoping we can draw a heart that shows up clearly on our satellite tracking map, but we need a lot of perseverance and luck."

:blink::huh::o

Edited by barleymalt

Well...he doesn't even have a real headsail anymore since his bowsprit broke...he is trying to sail around the world on two mainsails and 'ol orange' which is a staysail or some shit. Plus don't forget all the supplies...that poor boat probably weighs three times what it should.

Edited by Hike, Bitches!
Once we get far enough south and a little east, we can turn back up to the north east as we did with the drawing of the Sea Turtle. We are working with the variables of the prevailing winds and currents and hoping we can draw a heart that shows up clearly on our satellite tracking map, but we need a lot of perseverance and luck."

sea turtles & hearts - that's one heck of a "world class" adventurer right there

I think I have finally come to understand that you guys are like the Cable Comedy News adjunct to the Reid Stowe & Soanya Ahmad foibles- naked yoga sex at sea long running standingwatchcom.

Your comedy routines are hilarious.

How long do you really think they'll last though? I mean R is obviously a complete bozo on the briny. No nautical knowledge to speak of, a terrible heavy boat, and a young inexperienced virgin from the dark lands of africa just waiting to stick a marlin spike in someone's back while she's singing boy george in and while on excstasy.

How long can this boat stay afloat?

She'll soon be dragging nautical miles of seaweed and barnacles behind, barely able to make headway as those idiots try to trace the shape of a heart? Come one now, they'll be lucky if they can keep the klicks coming in any direction while they're lying naked under the canopy eating rice and beans and stroking eaching other's egos. I mean who the freakin hell would ever pay this voyage of the obviously damned any goddamn attention?

Certainly not properly trained sailors. No doubt there whatsofukinever.

So i hope you keep those laugh out loud till the tears arrgh coming down comedy routines a comin'.

Spread those breadcrumbs back to port, keep that shirt open elle ( i wanna see your titties too!- snd fotos soon pls) and keep munchin those sprouts in concert and solidarity with those damned crazy incompetant nincompoops out there on that thar poop deck south of the equator, cause they'll ne'er make it except perhaps in a tantric transcendental sense.

can we start a pool as to what day which countries coast guard picks them up?

what day soanya strikes reid and officially commits mutiny on the low seas?

what day the president pulls the troops out of iraq completely?

which will come first?

At least every time they pee & crap off the boat it lightens up a little bit.

And he's rebuilding the head this week too! They must not be using much TP if they only have 36 rolls...that's only one roll per month! :blink:

Edited by Hike, Bitches!
Once we get far enough south and a little east, we can turn back up to the north east as we did with the drawing of the Sea Turtle. We are working with the variables of the prevailing winds and currents and hoping we can draw a heart that shows up clearly on our satellite tracking map, but we need a lot of perseverance and luck."
sea turtles & hearts - that's one heck of a "world class" adventurer right there

How much do you suppose we'd all have to chip in for the next "drawing" to be the SA logo?

the whole enterprise is a joke, where's the 'scientific value'?

they aren't sailing, they are drifting.

don't even care about soanya anymore since she's made no effort to learn anything nautical, just sends off pg pin up shots, confirming her purpose on the boat, follower in a cult of two. she's supposed to be a photographer and photos are terrible; she just huddles up below sending emails and staring at the little blue window and has gone lily white.

'endanger the mission'? there's a laugh.

nothing but landlubbers as supporters.

20 knots of wind is a gale, have to heave to...

If we ever started the pool as when they would quit, I would have lost. Never would I have guessed that they would have made it 100 days.

I didn't think they'd get past Bermuda, and if that "ghost freighter" had been 10' to the right I'd have been right...if it existed at all. But now, I'm happy just to have the pair of delusional idiots bobbing around out there out of the shipping lanes as comic relief.

At what point, though, does a "sailboat" that can't do more than 3 knots reaching in a decent breeze and can't go upwind become a hazard to navigation. They might as well be sitting in a shipping container with a bong and their sprout garden.

I think I have finally come to understand that you guys are like the Cable Comedy News adjunct to the Reid Stowe & Soanya Ahmad foibles- naked yoga sex at sea long running standingwatchcom.

Your comedy routines are hilarious.

How long do you really think they'll last though? I mean R is obviously a complete bozo on the briny. No nautical knowledge to speak of, a terrible heavy boat, and a young inexperienced virgin from the dark lands of africa just waiting to stick a marlin spike in someone's back while she's singing boy george in and while on excstasy.

How long can this boat stay afloat?

She'll soon be dragging nautical miles of seaweed and barnacles behind, barely able to make headway as those idiots try to trace the shape of a heart? Come one now, they'll be lucky if they can keep the klicks coming in any direction while they're lying naked under the canopy eating rice and beans and stroking eaching other's egos. I mean who the freakin hell would ever pay this voyage of the obviously damned any goddamn attention?

Certainly not properly trained sailors. No doubt there whatsofukinever.

So i hope you keep those laugh out loud till the tears arrgh coming down comedy routines a comin'.

Spread those breadcrumbs back to port, keep that shirt open elle ( i wanna see your titties too!- snd fotos soon pls) and keep munchin those sprouts in concert and solidarity with those damned crazy incompetant nincompoops out there on that thar poop deck south of the equator, cause they'll ne'er make it except perhaps in a tantric transcendental sense.

can we start a pool as to what day which countries coast guard picks them up?

what day soanya strikes reid and officially commits mutiny on the low seas?

what day the president pulls the troops out of iraq completely?

which will come first?

I knew it. You are Reid posting under an assumed name. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Void Ho!

At least every time they pee & crap off the boat it lightens up a little bit.

And he's rebuilding the head this week too! They must not be using much TP if they only have 36 rolls...that's only one roll per month! :blink:

I guess they don't go "void ho" very often...

Is it possible that this is the only way that this type of “journey” could be done?

In essence a large almost indestructible floating Clorox (plastic) bottle, drifting reasonably far from most traffic. The crew needs to be into yoga and meditation and reasonably self absorbed because of what we at home would consider a lack of stimulus.

There can’t be too much booze or drugs because some attention is required, but not too much, because that would require a level of focus that would not enable the crew to zone out and pass the time with little variation in the external stimuli.

Most of us would have over engineered and planned this, having some knowledge of what it normally takes to survive at sea. Then we would have worried constantly about little things like maintenance and keeping a good watch. (Perhaps even putting the radar detector up high). Maybe it is true that ignorance is bliss. (Perhaps the detector is safer not being up in the rig where it can be blown off-so what if it works better.)

On the other hand, their timing to pass through just before hurricane season to arrive in Southern Atlantic as it heads towards summer, suggests a greater level of forethought than most of us give them credit for. (Or God favors small children and sailors)

He is an artist after all, and what greater canvas than the South Atlantic and a GPS record of your route to create turtles and hearts. Maybe he would do the SA symbol in the South Pacific.

I think what pisses me off is that if I tried this, the City of New York would have thrown me off the pier as a environmental hazard or unlicensed boarding house, the Coast Guard would have boarded me at Sandy Hook with some kind of safety inspection, I would have been hit by two gales before Bermuda, several freighters would have had near misses at best, the woman would have been sea sick, whiny and a poor cook, rats would have been into the food not soaked with salt water, and I’d have boils from not having enough water to wash in. One thing he has that I would have is sprouts, I hate fucking sprouts.

:huh:

You're far too harsh, SailFast - they are street people who lost their free dock. Nobody ever accused them of being sailors or knowing what they're doing. Most street people would simply have screamed about the unfairness of it all when the free dock ended and demanded welfare. But these two hit up his parents and their friends and some strangers who saw the value in sending them somewhere far away. So - for a couple of thousand dollars in donated food and stuff they don't know how to use, they're out of everybody's hair and off the welfare rolls. The beautiful irony of it all is that one thing they DIDN'T get is a real life raft. Obviously all the good people who paid their way to oblivion didn't want them coming back for more. So - get 'em what they need to go far away and then watch the weather.

How long till they sink? Hmmmm - how are the epoxy patches on the dockside "smashes" doing? Any plans yet to go below and find the source of the water in the hold Reid hopes doesn't get into the food? Did someone warn him not to pull the through hull fitting while he (finally) cleans the head? How're the cracks in the foredeck coming? It's good, by the way, that it turns out he doesn't need a bowsprit OR a samson post. Or a working foresail. Or a clean bottom. Or a knowledge of NOTAM. Or any clue about his donated CARD that he says doesn't work so well. Somebody might want to warn them, though, that the forces on that bowsprit and the foredeck continue any time there's wind. And there's not likely to be a lot of warning before the whole thing just comes apart - sort of like the bowsprit did when they hit the big wave coming off the freighter. Cracking is funny that way - one minute it's just a crack and the next - something important is floating away. You see what those kinds of forces did to the bowsprit and Reid says the forces are now splitting the deck and ruining the samson post. So - my bet on sinking is when they try "sailing" windward and meet force 5 or 6 winds. Of course, it could also be when the hull flexes under the strain of a big sea and one of the little holes gets big. Or, when one of the barnacles with its thumb in a hole says "screw it" and drops off.

AW ME POOR OLD CRUSOE

YOU 'ave obviously lost yer VALUED COMPANION FRIDAY

AND glory be tis friday today! tits yer lucky day you can stop being

so grouchy so far from civilization fer so damn freakin long

thinking bout getting off that island of yers

methinks you should send in a fat donation to a nyc soup kitchen

or in the absence of any sensitivity or sensibility on yer part

simply decry the pernicious conditions of poverty and keep on truckin'

pardon me harshness yer will robinsonness

i think the doomsayer's been down below too long

lighten up old crusoe

friday will find his way back to ya someday

meantime i bet you must be jealous of that swarthy helpmatemeet soanya keeping non-sailor stupid reid company on that floating island of his

no palm trees

just palms out for handouts?

that's it?

AW OLD CRUSOE YOU SEE THROUGH IT ALL...LIFE'S A DREAM AND ALL BUSINESS IS A SCAM...MONEY TALKS AND TITS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

AND ALL THE LUBBERS FOLLOW 1000 DAYS AT SEA WHILST THEY SIT ON THEIR SCAMMED DRY ASSES ON THE HARD

night old crusoe don't leave the candles burning under the palms

You're far too harsh, SailFast - they are street people who lost their free dock. Nobody ever accused them of being sailors or knowing what they're doing. Most street people would simply have screamed about the unfairness of it all when the free dock ended and demanded welfare. But these two hit up his parents and their friends and some strangers who saw the value in sending them somewhere far away. So - for a couple of thousand dollars in donated food and stuff they don't know how to use, they're out of everybody's hair and off the welfare rolls. The beautiful irony of it all is that one thing they DIDN'T get is a real life raft. Obviously all the good people who paid their way to oblivion didn't want them coming back for more. So - get 'em what they need to go far away and then watch the weather.

How long till they sink? Hmmmm - how are the epoxy patches on the dockside "smashes" doing? Any plans yet to go below and find the source of the water in the hold Reid hopes doesn't get into the food? Did someone warn him not to pull the through hull fitting while he (finally) cleans the head? How're the cracks in the foredeck coming? It's good, by the way, that it turns out he doesn't need a bowsprit OR a samson post. Or a working foresail. Or a clean bottom. Or a knowledge of NOTAM. Or any clue about his donated CARD that he says doesn't work so well. Somebody might want to warn them, though, that the forces on that bowsprit and the foredeck continue any time there's wind. And there's not likely to be a lot of warning before the whole thing just comes apart - sort of like the bowsprit did when they hit the big wave coming off the freighter. Cracking is funny that way - one minute it's just a crack and the next - something important is floating away. You see what those kinds of forces did to the bowsprit and Reid says the forces are now splitting the deck and ruining the samson post. So - my bet on sinking is when they try "sailing" windward and meet force 5 or 6 winds. Of course, it could also be when the hull flexes under the strain of a big sea and one of the little holes gets big. Or, when one of the barnacles with its thumb in a hole says "screw it" and drops off.

Thought you guys might enjoy today's post:

Day 102 Cleaning the Toilets

Friday, 03 August 2007

August 2, 2007

Wind SE 18-20 knots, Course SSW, Speed 4-6 knots, Position: 16 37 S, 32 25 W

Finally the toilet will wait no longer and like everything else is demanding attention. Leaking and smelling! Now I have to take it apart and put in new pieces. Then it will smell nice and clean and work as it should. It's just one of those jobs that will get put off over and over for more important sailing jobs. But when a toilet refuses to wait any longer, it won't wait. I quickly got my parts kit and started taking it apart. Then I washed my hands so I could write my little story about it. It looks like it will take longer than today. We do have another toilet that is in a little bit better shape. In case you're wondering we have four cases of toilet paper-12 large industrial rolls per case. We guessed this is what we would need. Now after 100 days, we calculated that we will have more than enough toilet paper.

A wind shift to the east has given us a fair wind to make a more southerly course. Each day feels like we're going further out into the ocean. The sea beckons and we are answering. We leave more attachments behind as we progress forward. Our confidence is growing in the fact that we can keep going in spite of our damage and all of the repairs that I have to keep making. Our big repair to the bowsprit is holding. I go over it every day to make sure. Though the first 100 days were epic, we marvel at how fast it passed and we are not intimidated by the upcoming time we will spend on the sea.

Soanya's View

Boy am I glad the toilet was finally put on the work list. No amount of scrubbing would fix it. It had to be taken apart to scrape the plaque that was clogging the pipes and fitted with new gaskets to seal the connections. But enough talk about heads. I'm looking at a dashing sunset with neon pink streaks against the pale blue sky. The air has gotten a bit cooler maybe in the mid-seventies instead of around eighty degrees. I will miss the overwhelmingly hot weather (not overwhelming for me). I forgot to mention that the underwater window had changed back to sparkling blue about three days after we passed the equator. The greenish tint must have been a characteristic of the inter-tropical convergence zone (ITCZ)."

Apparently, the pooper has been an issue for a while, judging by Soanya's post. Reid is master procrastinator! (of the macerator!) Yep, just use the other toilet when your main is backing up! I did not know they packed spare toilet gaskets... "plaque that was clogging the pipes"? How old are these lines? I'm glad they have more than enough TP- on my boat, we put the used TP in Ziplock bags ("If you didn't eat it, you don't flush it!"), since we use Charmin instead of marine TP (would proabably kill the macerator!), but we don't go on 1,000 day voyages, either.

Yeah, we all saw what happened to the Titanic!

it became a great movie?

did reid and his bros build that one too?

not to worry cap'n

no third class locked up down below

and no rush at all to get to the dock

slow's the word blokes

sloggin through the sea

all dressed up and nowhere to go like

slowly she turned

step by step

and drew a heart on the ocean

and then where'd she be?

off round cape of good hopes

have some of that too mateys

she's the unsinkable

annie black

built like a shithouse

meant to take it too

'ave a heart

and wait to see it through

:rolleyes:

it became a great movie?

did reid and his bros build that one too?

not to worry cap'n

no third class locked up down below

and no rush at all to get to the dock

slow's the word blokes

sloggin through the sea

all dressed up and nowhere to go like

slowly she turned

step by step

and drew a heart on the ocean

and then where'd she be?

off round cape of good hopes

have some of that too mateys

she's the unsinkable

annie black

built like a shithouse

meant to take it too

'ave a heart

and wait to see it through

Dude, you are scaring me with your song-writing prose. Are you sure you are not Reid?!?!

One and the same. Read the cute sonnet for Soanya on his blog written the same day.

Love child who predates the summer of love and a latter day hippie escaping the world . But they don't really want to go completely away so they keep talking and philosophizing. They don't really want to try anything like circumnavigation either so they bob around like a floating reef - or like part of the sargasso sea gone south. While they say they'll draw a heart by gps.

Instead of preaching in the park, they preach on the internet and have already got four or five fans dropping quarters and sayin, "groovy" and "cool" and "wow-o." The only real problem is that ambulances go to the park but not to whereever it is they are parked. But, as ye merry olde sailfastandfree says, "not a problem." Echoed by the people who gave them food and stuff but nothing for survival.

Imagine with them the book and movie - ummmm - we had this boat and we, ummmm, floated around for ummmmm - well, more than a couple of months and ummmmmm we got to know each other really well and ummmmmm - well - ummmmmmmm - the toilet backed up and ummmmmmmmmmmmm - we caught some fish.

It's not really a sonnet - it's an ode and it's about him. Here it is

The Long Way Around

The sailor's dream was growing old

and so maybe was he

1000 days and nights to sail

and all alone to be.

His would be wife had left the ship

scared of the ocean blue

and then a young girl stepped up onboard

small steps so sure she sat right down.

And looked the sailor in the eye

I'll go with you she said right out

she's the smartest person here

the happy Captain cried!

One year disciple of the helm

and now three years at sea

Sweet Soanya grows before our eyes

Her bearing somehow seems regally to be.

Reid the artist sailor yogi man

and a true philosopher

knew right away when Soanya said

that all was good for him and her.

The giant ship did hit them in the night

within the first few weeks and still they did not flee

as this would not put them into such a fright

as many others seemed to be.

Working hard through days and nights

the steady Schooner healed her prow

as Captain Reid used all his might

to make it right again somehow.

And now they're south of the great midway line

around our heavenly planet's girth

time to start sailing in the shape of a heart

that was planned right from the first.

Onto the Great Southern Ocean and the Capes,

around the Lower Earth,

the good Ship Anne shall sail on,

1000 days and nights alone and she will be the first.

One and the same. Read the cute sonnet for Soanya on his blog written the same day.

Love child who predates the summer of love and a latter day hippie escaping the world . But they don't really want to go completely away so they keep talking and philosophizing. They don't really want to try anything like circumnavigation either so they bob around like a floating reef - or like part of the sargasso sea gone south. While they say they'll draw a heart by gps.

Instead of preaching in the park, they preach on the internet and have already got four or five fans dropping quarters and sayin, "groovy" and "cool" and "wow-o." The only real problem is that ambulances go to the park but not to whereever it is they are parked. But, as ye merry olde sailfastandfree says, "not a problem." Echoed by the people who gave them food and stuff but nothing for survival.

Imagine with them the book and movie - ummmm - we had this boat and we, ummmm, floated around for ummmmm - well, more than a couple of months and ummmmmm we got to know each other really well and ummmmmm - well - ummmmmmmm - the toilet backed up and ummmmmmmmmmmmm - we caught some fish.

Dunno, this reid character, sort of reminds me of this guy.

One tenth the way there... I'll give 'em credit, that's longer that I thought they would make it...

but it is still a a looooong way to go to a thousand days.

They haven't hit any really bad weather yet though.

I think the first serious storm they encounter may change the picture radically... and hopefully not tragically.

One tenth the way there... I'll give 'em credit, that's longer that I thought they would make it...

but it is still a a looooong way to go to a thousand days.

They haven't hit any really bad weather yet though.

I think the first serious storm they encounter may change the picture radically... and hopefully not tragically.

Well it took them 100 days to get from NYC to the equator, what are the chances they'll get south of where the hurricanes form before september? It will be close thats for shore. If they do, they will have dodged a major bullet. I do hope that they don't die, but I would love to see them get stuck in a fierce storm and the rig break down around them so we can say I told you so. Because seriously does anyone think they will make it to 1000 days? I sure don't.

We should start a reward fund for the first guy who laps him. If you leave NYC now on any reasonable boat you could. Extra money for the first one to get around the world twice and beat this guy to it. (What the record? If we got macauthor out there now she could be done before they round the cape)

He went to sea in that pos because it doesn't charge rent. They must get off on the smell of fromunda cheese fuk she washed sox after a month whatt about panties...sounds blissful. Ferrofukcementless trowelled spooge into woven that bonds how? to the pigiron skeleton. It is an insult to fiberglass to say that is a fiberglass boat. Someone needs to check and see if his gudgeons are door hinges. Any schmuck with blind confidence to take that UN prepared boat with an UNprepared crew that calls himself a sailor is an insult to all sailors.

It could be the "Round Reid race...round Reid and back! :lol::lol::lol:

We should start a reward fund for the first guy who laps him. If you leave NYC now on any reasonable boat you could. Extra money for the first one to get around the world twice and beat this guy to it. (What the record? If we got macauthor out there now she could be done before they round the cape)
I wanna plow her fecund fertile orafi, but not after all Reid gets done reaming her 1000 days and 1000 nights...

fecund and fertile are redundant. Get a dictionary and get a life...or a magazine.

fecund and fertile are redundant. Get a dictionary and get a life...or a magazine.

Actually, they are very similar but there is at least one distinction. "Fertile" is the ability to reproduce. "Fecund" also describes the ability to reproduce, but also is typically used to describe a situation where and individual is highly fertile, or has a track record of reproducing often. Having one kid would mean that a couple is fertile. Having 5 kids means that they are fecund.

Either way, what idiot would want this woman to be either fertile of fecund? Unless you want to settle down with Sonya and perhaps spend three years with her on a tub in the middle of the south Atlantic, the last thing in the world you would want is for her to be fertile or fecund.

From today's post:

"As we opened the box of dates to separate them, two different hands simultaneously reached in at the first opportunity to sample the sweet fruit. It sure was delicious. We nibbled dates while packing. All of the food that we took out will last at least three months. Some like the lentils will last six months easily before we have to go searching again. We also found some body products and took two bottles of lotion out along with a liquid soap refill bottle. Nobody paid much attention to lotion until we decided we needed some and found the ones we were using finished. It's a good thing we got lotion before leaving. Finally, we stored everything in their respective places and tied them down."

Eww... That just does not sound right...

Actually, they are very similar but there is at least one distinction. "Fertile" is the ability to reproduce. "Fecund" also describes the ability to reproduce, but also is typically used to describe a situation where and individual is highly fertile, or has a track record of reproducing often. Having one kid would mean that a couple is fertile. Having 5 kids means that they are fecund.

Either way, what idiot would want this woman to be either fertile of fecund? Unless you want to settle down with Sonya and perhaps spend three years with her on a tub in the middle of the south Atlantic, the last thing in the world you would want is for her to be fertile or fecund.

You are quite etymologically correct. However, in the specific citation their usage is essentially redundant. As well as, we fervently hope, inaccurate.

Can I go back to talking like a real person now?

Man that some heavy shit they are smoking!! :lol:

Day 107 Rainbows

Voyage

Wednesday, 08 August 2007

August 7, 2007

Wind 10-12 knots, Course SSE, Speed 4.5 knots, Position: 22° 58 S, 32° 37 W

We have had a lot of rainbows for the last four days. I saw a vivid rainbow through a dawn drizzle that was so close to the boat, I could almost touch it. It was laying flat on the water. As it moved away with the rain, the most incredible violet laid down on top of the water at the horizon. There the sea turned a very light violet. When I looked a while later, the sea at the horizon was purple. Not a deep clear purple, but a whitish pastel purple. Within a half hour, each color of the rainbow had its turn lying on the horizon. I especially remember the green.

One day when I was working up the mast, the breaking wave tops had rainbows in them, there were so many that I didn't call Soanya to see them. Yesterday, the most spectacular rainbow arched from horizon to horizon and wouldn't fit into the dimensions of the camera. It was a double rainbow and I only had to change course a little bit to drive the schooner right into it. These displays of light are some of the only colors we see on the ocean besides the sunrises and sunset and they have always meant a lot to me. I've always stopped to gaze at them with appreciation and take in their colors.

We have a rainbow skylight above our bed and in the day, if we rest on the bed, the colors of the rainbow dance on us with the rhythm of the waves and the roll of the boat. :lol:

Soanya's View

I like rainbows just fine, but for me they were always a rare sight. That is until I started hanging out with Reid. He sees rainbows all the time and here at sea they are not that unusual. When they appear, they take the form of a half arc. Sometimes we see two of them in different places at the same time if the sky is cloudy with impending light rain. This time the rainbow, appearing at sunset, was a full arc stretching across the whole sky. I don't think I've seen a rainbow like that before. It's the kind that the Irish say has a pot of gold at the end, if you can find the end. Pot of gold or not, I take it as a sign of good fortune.

Edited by snorky
Nobody paid much attention to lotion until we decided we needed some and found the ones we were using finished. It's a good thing we got lotion before leaving

We have a rainbow skylight above our bed and in the day, if we rest on the bed, the colors of the rainbow dance on us with the rhythm of the waves and the roll of the boat. :

For those who think this guy is nuts, pull up a picture of her in the yellow dress, close your eyes and think about the different uses of lotion, (heated by the sun, and the colors of the rainbow dancing on the bed,

Let your mind roam for a few minutes

Then open your eyes and see what you are doing and then tell me who the nut case is. :unsure:

For those who think this guy is nuts, pull up a picture of her in the yellow dress, close your eyes and think about the different uses of lotion, (heated by the sun, and the colors of the rainbow dancing on the bed,

Then open your eyes and see what you are doing and then tell me who the nut case is. :unsure:

Good call, the nut case would be you. The guy on the boat is just insane.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I selfishly hope this pair lasts the 1000 days. Their daily posts are so damn entertaining. I would actually miss them.

Just when talk of sprouts, sunsets, snow shovels, spirits and colors becomes tiresome some gem pops up that's just too amazingly bizarre. Can't even begin to imagine what lies ahead for our intrepid "explorers".

Post pic of yellow dress OR...

:lol::lol:

Great. I try to be the nice, mature and understanding one here, and then a newby comes up with that.

I'm impressed, Roy. Just don't push it........... B)

'this morning sailing at seven and a half knots. it was a pretty wild ride'

who needs carbon sleds when you can have heart shaped wild rides on the schooner anne

Wow, must have been blowin like hell. Normally they can only get that thing moving around 3 knots with 15 knots of breeze. Or perhaps that was just the speed at which it was sinking?? :huh:

Wow, must have been blowin like hell. Normally they can only get that thing moving around 3 knots with 15 knots of breeze. Or perhaps that was just the speed at which it was sinking?? :huh:

Ahh. The truth comes out. Reid is actually a Russian spy in a cleverly disguised submarine sporting a top secret propulsion system.

post-4412-1186688108_thumb.jpg

"We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills."

Ohhh.. dear, trouble at mill....

August 11, 2007

Wind E 12-15 knots, Course SE, Speed 4-5 knots, Position: 28° 43 S, 29° 14 W

We sail on in beautiful weather almost in disbelief that each day and night can be more beautiful than the next. How many times can I see it before I become jaded or maxed out? I would like to believe that I have the ability to keep appreciating and being more and more grateful. The same with Soanya. She is so good and getting better. I have to believe that it's in me to keep treating her right and keep taking care to appreciate her. It's like questioning my ability to do the 1000 day voyage. I have to believe that I have the ability to keep going.

The wind and weather will eventually change and we will adapt to it. My resolve to keep going with Soanya by my side must remain steady. I live in the now, in the greatest moments of my life, and I go forward with determination, love and appreciation.

Soanya's View

Appreciation is an interesting concept. To consciously acknowledge your environment, the people around you and the events life puts before you as fortunate is like making every day Thanksgiving Day. Sometimes it's hard to even know that you've got it good until it's gone and you feel the absence. Appreciation makes you observe the details, to attempt to see what you haven't noticed before and be glad that you finally did notice it. It makes life richer and is not the kind of thing you need to spend money on. Reid has never failed to show his appreciation for me and I don't think he ever will. He isn't the kind to forget the gifts he's given. I don't like to get all mushy over things, but I have my own little ways of showing I appreciate him too and indeed, where I am and what I'm doing. To always have a reverent state of mind is the most fulfilling and the moment you operate out of that state, life gets more difficult to deal with.

Please tell me that they're close to this:

Subject: TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 1 - 11:00 AM

WTNT34 KNHC 131454

TCPAT4

BULLETIN

TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR ADVISORY NUMBER 1

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042007

1100 AM EDT MON AUG 13 2007

...FOURTH DEPRESSION OF THE SEASON FORMS IN THE FAR EASTERN

ATLANTIC...

AT 1100 AM EDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 12.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 31.6 WEST OR ABOUT 520

MILES...840 KM...WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHERNMOST CAPE VERDE

ISLANDS AND ABOUT 2000 MILES...3220 KM...EAST OF THE LESSER

ANTILLES.

THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 21 MPH...AND THIS

GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 35 MPH...55 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST...AND THE DEPRESSION COULD

BECOME A TROPICAL STORM DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1005 MB...29.68 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 1100 AM EDT POSITION...12.0 N...31.6 W. MOVEMENT

TOWARD...WEST NEAR 21 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT

500 PM EDT.

$$

FORECASTER KNABB

No fair. That was some funny shit. Give a million monkeys a million microphones, Shakespearean funny. You have to muddle through. Some of my favorites:

"36 hours"

"There's always a snake in there"

"It's beautiful but it's upside down"

"Very, very intuitive"

"I love his burrito"

The house seeds concept and every single fucking shot of the bald guy in the suit.

Loved it.

Ohhh.. dear, trouble at mill....

August 11, 2007

Wind E 12-15 knots, Course SE, Speed 4-5 knots, Position: 28° 43 S, 29° 14 W

We sail on in beautiful weather almost in disbelief that each day and night can be more beautiful than the next. How many times can I see it before I become jaded or maxed out? I would like to believe that I have the ability to keep appreciating and being more and more grateful. The same with Soanya. She is so good and getting better. I have to believe that it's in me to keep treating her right and keep taking care to appreciate her. It's like questioning my ability to do the 1000 day voyage. I have to believe that I have the ability to keep going.

The wind and weather will eventually change and we will adapt to it. My resolve to keep going with Soanya by my side must remain steady. I live in the now, in the greatest moments of my life, and I go forward with determination, love and appreciation.

Soanya's View

Appreciation is an interesting concept. To consciously acknowledge your environment, the people around you and the events life puts before you as fortunate is like making every day Thanksgiving Day. Sometimes it's hard to even know that you've got it good until it's gone and you feel the absence. Appreciation makes you observe the details, to attempt to see what you haven't noticed before and be glad that you finally did notice it. It makes life richer and is not the kind of thing you need to spend money on. Reid has never failed to show his appreciation for me and I don't think he ever will. He isn't the kind to forget the gifts he's given. I don't like to get all mushy over things, but I have my own little ways of showing I appreciate him too and indeed, where I am and what I'm doing. To always have a reverent state of mind is the most fulfilling and the moment you operate out of that state, life gets more difficult to deal with.

Some reason I am reminded of this wonderful classic movie quote:

Larry: [to Professor Jennings, while high] Okay. That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being. [Jennings nods] This is too much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--

Professor Jennings: Could be one little tiny universe.

Larry: Could I buy some pot from you?

hey blogkeeper, you having a meltdown with the comments on 1000 days website? sure seems like it. thanks for reading sailing anarchy and posting the above utube i found on your site so quickly, you're right on top of things.

Did something get edited out here?

Here's today's latest and greatest:

"Poetry - Road to Ithaca

Monday, 13 August 2007

Ithaca de Cavafi

When you start on the road to Ithaca

wish that the way be long

full of adventures, full of experience.

Fear not the Laestrygones and the Cyclops

the angry Poseidon

you will never find such as these in your way

if your thoughts stay clear, if a choice

emotion affects your body and spirit.

The Laestrygones and the Cyclops,

the wild Poseidon you will never meet,

if you do not carry them in your soul,

if your soul does not set them up in front you.

Wish that the way be long.

Let there be many summer mornings

when with such a pleasure, such a joy

you will enter harbors never before seen;

you will stop at Phoenician stalls

and will acquire lovely goods,

mother-of-pearl and coralls, amber and ebony

and hedonic perfumes of every kind,

hedonic perfumes as plenty as you can;

go to many Egyptian cities,

to learn and learn from the studious.

Always keep in mind Ithaca.

Arriving there is your goal.

But do not hurry the trip at all.

It is better that it lasts many years;

and when finally an old man, you berth on the island,

rich with what you have gained on the road,

do not expect that Ithaca will give you riches.

Ithaca gave you this lovely voyage.

Without her you would not have started on the road.

She has nothing else to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not fooled you.

Wise that you have become , with such experience,

you must by now know what Ithacas mean."

I don't know if Reid wrote this (it does not sound like his Pink Floyd-inspired poetry" or if he "borrowed" it from someone else without including the author's name. First of all, don't f*** with Poseidon- or your boat will sink. Second, "rich with what you have gained on the road, do not expect that Ithaca will give you riches" because that is the job of the stupid people who give him handouts. I saw the picture they posted yesterday- he looks even creepier, and poor Soanya needs a good eyebrow waxing right now. They're south of the equator, so at least for their safety, TD4 won't be coming to take their cheese. Poseidon, however....

"Poetry - Road to Ithaca

Monday, 13 August 2007

Ithaca de Cavafi

I don't know if Reid wrote this (it does not sound like his Pink Floyd-inspired poetry" or if he "borrowed" it from someone else without including the author's name.

Cavafi was the author, he was Greek <insert joke here>

Did something get edited out here?

sorry skip, my syntax was confusing. just playing with the guy who 'keeps their blog'; a half hour after i posted that vid, he put it up on the 1000 website. because of too many negative comments, he also wrote that he will only post positive vibes from now on, no naysayers.

"Poetry - Road to Ithaca

Monday, 13 August 2007

Ithaca de Cavafi

When you start on the road to Ithaca

wish that the way be long

full of adventures, full of experience.

Fear not the Laestrygones and the Cyclops

the angry Poseidon

you will never find such as these in your way

if your thoughts stay clear, if a choice

emotion affects your body and spirit.

The Laestrygones and the Cyclops,

the wild Poseidon you will never meet,

if you do not carry them in your soul,

if your soul does not set them up in front you.

Wish that the way be long.

Let there be many summer mornings

when with such a pleasure, such a joy

you will enter harbors never before seen;

you will stop at Phoenician stalls

and will acquire lovely goods,

mother-of-pearl and coralls, amber and ebony

and hedonic perfumes of every kind,

hedonic perfumes as plenty as you can;

go to many Egyptian cities,

to learn and learn from the studious.

Always keep in mind Ithaca.

Arriving there is your goal.

But do not hurry the trip at all.

It is better that it lasts many years;

and when finally an old man, you berth on the island,

rich with what you have gained on the road,

do not expect that Ithaca will give you riches.

Ithaca gave you this lovely voyage.

Without her you would not have started on the road.

She has nothing else to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not fooled you.

Wise that you have become , with such experience,

you must by now know what Ithacas mean."

I don't know if Reid wrote this (it does not sound like his Pink Floyd-inspired poetry" or if he "borrowed" it from someone else without including the author's name. First of all, don't f*** with Poseidon- or your boat will sink. Second, "rich with what you have gained on the road, do not expect that Ithaca will give you riches" because that is the job of the stupid people who give him handouts. I saw the picture they posted yesterday- he looks even creepier, and poor Soanya needs a good eyebrow waxing right now. They're south of the equator, so at least for their safety, TD4 won't be coming to take their cheese. Poseidon, however....

I've been to Ithaca. Went to college there, in the dreary climate of upstate New York.

I never expected Ithaca would give me riches.

Ithaca didn't fool me.

Cavafi was the author, he was Greek <insert joke here>

I totally missed it! Well, I'll take the hit on that one! I figured that was not Reid's prose, as his poems have butterflies, rainbows, fields of wheat... Thanks for that!

sorry skip, my syntax was confusing. just playing with the guy who 'keeps their blog'; a half hour after i posted that vid, he put it up on the 1000 website. because of too many negative comments, he also wrote that he will only post positive vibes from now on, no naysayers.

Cut and paste my positive comments. Then link me to the site. I'm exceptionally lazy. This could be good. Thanks.

I hate

I mean I Really HATE Hippies

Something to think about, at some point they will have been at sea long enough that they will be able to write a book and live off the proceeds and lecture tour reciepts so they never have to work again. Imagine how happy you will be when your yacht club signs them up to speak at your winter banquet. Maybe they can get an early sign up discount now! :P

Something to think about, at some point they will have been at sea long enough that they will be able to write a book and live off the proceeds and lecture tour reciepts so they never have to work again. Imagine how happy you will be when your yacht club signs them up to speak at your winter banquet. Maybe they can get an early sign up discount now! :P

You have lost your mind

Either the brown Acid has made its way out of storage, or our intrepid duo are getting sea happy

"August 13, 2007

Day 113

Wind ENE 8-10 knots, Course SE, Speed 3.5 knots, Position: 29° 59 S, 25° 00W, Temp. 68° F 20 C

Starship Schooner Anne continues her boundless voyage into the unknown surrounded by stars that fall and come closer and closer. Stars fly past the underwater window rolling and bouncing from the force of our ship. They want to come into our cozy warm home and are surprised when our thick lexan window deflects them and sends them rolling astern to surface where they mix with other stars we have excited. They all make a long glittering tail behind us. This goes on all night as we hold our course under the rotating starry dome of the sky. In the early evening, we head for Orion while the Southern Cross watches from the far southwest. Later in the night, Orion is high in the sky and Southern Cross has disappeared. These are the long nights when the stars guide us. We are meeting so many new stars that we can't even begin to name them. Carter, our friend at the planetarium knows more of them than anyone else, but when we look at the stars we're too busy saying hello to them to name their constellations. Can you imagine, Soanya and I have seen them so many times already that we see them in each other's eyes even in the daytime. Space analogous researchers will have to learn more about adapting to this phenomenon because more astro-aquanauts who venture into the night skies will become starry-eyed like us. How will we ever adapt to normal life again?

Soanya's View:

The way we experience the night sky is indescribable. There is nothing obstructing the sky or the horizon. The air, especially in the southern hemisphere, is not polluted allowing breathtaking clarity. There are star clusters within star clusters. The Milky Way band stretches vividly across the sky in a softly powdered arc. Five minutes of staring is sure to have a shooting star appear, streak, then disappear into nothingness. The sheer vastness of the sky is a fitting partner for the vast ocean. They don't call it the heavens for nothing, because with the star strewn night comes a rarefied atmosphere. You know the stars see the bigger picture. They are not going to interfere in some little human's drama. They've seen it all before, but just as we look at them, they are looking back at us. And every now and then they'll give humanity a wink."

Astro-aquanauts?

These posts are hysterical!!! But I do wonder about the psyche behind some of you guys with an obsession with a couple of adventurers it seems that you disdain. Maybe I am reading it wrong, But I would love to see a poll from the active posters of how many have met these two before they adventured out there.

I bet they make it past three hundred days. It remember it is going to take them over 100 days to get back :-)