Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

Soanya says:

"Reid unlashed the sail from the gaff and the boom and somehow we got it into the cargo hold. That was one huge sail. The big birds saw it all happen, but they were busy looking for food and chatting among themselves to really care. That's okay. We had our business to attend to also."

HUH????? Is she hallucinating?

• Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

First post at SA...only recently signed up here but have been reading SA off and on since last Spring. Anyway, have a question generated by our favorite couple's last blog entry.

Soanya said: "My muscles really got a work out and I woke up aching so much this morning that I could hardly face getting out of bed for some more rocking albeit in much calmer conditions."

Most of my (minimal, compared to many here) time on a boat has been bouy racing. The longest I've ever been on a boat straight has been 3 days in up to 30kt winds with 10ft seas. That said, I've never thought I was sore simply from dealing with the boat being unstable...the soreness has always seemed like it came from actual work on the boat...something it appears Soanya doesn't do.

So, am I not understanding what makes me sore on the boat or am I just not realizing how rough the Southern Ocean can be...

It seems that the sails were wrapped around the booms without covers for most of those 7 years... Even when the boat was on the hard getting the bottom painted 4 years ago. I am surprised there is anything left. Lots more seams to come apart. And those were only 20-30k winds. :o

post-22200-1195600460_thumb.jpg

Swiss Cheese Scow

78b8bee1.jpg

Oh look! It's Wayne!!!

Some things never change....

All that crap you've said about Soanya online....

What did she ever do to you? Nothing.

If Soanya wants to kick your cowardly ugly ass when she gets back, I will personally buy her a plane ticket to whatever trailer park you live in.

Try to spend a little more time learning the art of sailing, and waste less time doing damage.

Go ahead and flame away you worthless bitch.

First of all, Sayonara is either nuts with her 'bird' talk while trying to maneuver a huge sail or she has an IQ of about 69, and I picked that number on purpose because I think it's the only thing she's good for! She is a moron, but young and new-bile, so she's not totally worthless.

I find it hard to believe that Weid only had one main sail but I guess it's true. (I thought I had read that he had other sails but then I remembered the story of the orange sail a friend had given him that he raised and then took down several days later.) And then I have to ask what fucking idiot plans on a 1000 days voyage with rotting sails? I guess now we'll have to hear him moaning that nobody donated a good main sail. Personally, I never thought they would venture below either South Africa or South America so I am not surprised AT ALL about this rather transparent excuse for aborting the trip. I guess we won't hear from them for two or three days now and then when we do they will admit that they have headed back towards the equator so he can repair the sails in calmer waters. And as Sailflat has pointed out, either the seam threads are shot or the cloth of the sail is worthless. Whichever way, the trip cannot go on! OH I KNOW, HE CAN MAKE A SAIL OF ALL OF SAYONARA'S DRESS CLOTHES!!!!! Yea, that's the ticket! :lol:

First post at SA...only recently signed up here but have been reading SA off and on since last Spring. Anyway, have a question generated by our favorite couple's last blog entry.

Soanya said: "My muscles really got a work out and I woke up aching so much this morning that I could hardly face getting out of bed for some more rocking albeit in much calmer conditions."

Most of my (minimal, compared to many here) time on a boat has been bouy racing. The longest I've ever been on a boat straight has been 3 days in up to 30kt winds with 10ft seas. That said, I've never thought I was sore simply from dealing with the boat being unstable...the soreness has always seemed like it came from actual work on the boat...something it appears Soanya doesn't do.

So, am I not understanding what makes me sore on the boat or am I just not realizing how rough the Southern Ocean can be...

No, you're understanding quite correctly...she's worthless on the boat except as mentioned in my above post...

It seems that the sails were wrapped around the booms without covers for most of those 7 years... Even when the boat was on the hard getting the bottom painted 4 years ago. I am surprised there is anything left. Lots more seams to come apart. And those were only 20-30k winds. :o

Just another classic example of Weid Ho's seamanship. I can't imagine anyone leaving their sails uncovered to rot in the sun for a decade. He says it's from 7 years of sailing in the Hudson but come on - it's because he didn't look after them. And then over his 10 years of preparation (or is it 20?) he doesn't think to take his sails down and check the stitching? Did he ever consider covers? Did he ever consider cleaning his sails - I mean how much pollution and dirt has been ground into the dacron during a decade in NYC? Well too late now and he's going to blow out everything even that record "sail that stayed up longer than any man made sail".

Can you imagine dragging that filthy salty wet sail through the interior of your boat? From previous Weid posts, he's been re-stitching and patching on a ongoing basis. If his sailcloth is rotten from dirt and UV exposure, he's screwed.

Welcome to the board!

Let me make sense of this for you. Soanya does very little physical labor. Since there is no walking or other physical activity found on land taking place on the Cheese Scow, her muscles have atrophied. Meditating on a gimbaled platform does nothing for muscle strength. Simply walking around the boat in rough seas and having to help take down the ripped main was probably a shock to those lax little muscles, and now she is paying for it. It will take her longer to recover, as your muscles need proper nourishment to rebuild.

You probably would not be affected by being in rough seas and taking down a main. Soreness in fit people on a boat is usually caused by heavy lifting, cramming your body into a tiny engine compartment, sanding wood for days on end...

Does he have enough fuel on that tub to motor back to New York from his current location and how much horsepower does his engine(s) have? And, taking into consideration all the stuff on the bottow of the scow, how many mph/kph will he be able to make under power? I'm wanting to start a pool on when he'll be back on the West Side of NYC and need a few facts....

If this is his Doyle sail, it sure isn't good advertising for them. I mean - having a sail continually coming apart when all you've done is day sail up and down the Hudson? Not good. On our former boat, which we cruised in the Caribbean, the sails were 20 years old but we looked after them. The genoa was stretched and could use replacement but the main and mizzen were just fine. Reid's sails are heavy cruising sails and there is no reason whatsoever that they should only have a life of 7 years - and that includes the thread. Think about it - that sail had to be a pretty hefty donation - a sail that big of heavy cloth isn't cheap. And what does Dweeb Ho do - treats it like it was nothing. Guess this is what comes of never having to work for what you have.

Well, the thread had been getting a little lame lately..even fallen out of the top ten a time or two, but now....this is meat for the ravening SA dogs.

Have at it, I say. The clueless duo deserve all the abuse that can be heaped on them.

7 year-old, never-covered, gaff rigged mainsail flogs itself to death as soon as they/he tried to reef it. Go figure.

Tell me he didn't bring along a sewing machine. Oh, right. Nobody gave him one. Now he's going to hand stitch it? Riiiiight. Good thing he's got 788 days. It will last twenty minutes or less on rehoist.

Maybe Doyle will send somebody out just to remove their logo.

The mainsail incident is long overdue. The only sail that in reasonable shape is the infamous DOYLE rollerfurling jib. They haven't seen any heavy weather yet. This venture and shoddy preparations are becoming more reckless and foolhardy with each passing day as they head further South. They haven't met the Southern Ocean.

I hope Soanya's parents and friends aren't reading this thread. They must be terrified. And rightly so.

Welcome to the board!

Let me make sense of this for you. Soanya does very little physical labor. Since there is no walking or other physical activity found on land taking place on the Cheese Scow, her muscles have atrophied. Meditating on a gimbaled platform does nothing for muscle strength. Simply walking around the boat in rough seas and having to help take down the ripped main was probably a shock to those lax little muscles, and now she is paying for it. It will take her longer to recover, as your muscles need proper nourishment to rebuild.

You probably would not be affected by being in rough seas and taking down a main. Soreness in fit people on a boat is usually caused by heavy lifting, cramming your body into a tiny engine compartment, sanding wood for days on end...

Thanks!

I was specifically wondering if it made sense to blame nutrition...so yeah, doesn't sound like a strong body down there. Guess that wasn't why she was picked...

First of all, Sayonara is either nuts with her 'bird' talk while trying to maneuver a huge sail or she has an IQ of about 69, and I picked that number on purpose because I think it's the only thing she's good for! She is a moron, but young and new-bile, so she's not totally worthless.

I find it hard to believe that Weid only had one main sail but I guess it's true. (I thought I had read that he had other sails but then I remembered the story of the orange sail a friend had given him that he raised and then took down several days later.) And then I have to ask what fucking idiot plans on a 1000 days voyage with rotting sails? I guess now we'll have to hear him moaning that nobody donated a good main sail. Personally, I never thought they would venture below either South Africa or South America so I am not surprised AT ALL about this rather transparent excuse for aborting the trip. I guess we won't hear from them for two or three days now and then when we do they will admit that they have headed back towards the equator so he can repair the sails in calmer waters. And as Sailflat has pointed out, either the seam threads are shot or the cloth of the sail is worthless. Whichever way, the trip cannot go on! OH I KNOW, HE CAN MAKE A SAIL OF ALL OF SAYONARA'S DRESS CLOTHES!!!!! Yea, that's the ticket! :lol:

I believe you are right, already several lines on their last report about not getting enough things given to them. For some reason he thinks people should donating everything to him so he can keep his innocence. Get a fucking job asshole and contribute something worthwhile to society!

Well, the thread had been getting a little lame lately..even fallen out of the top ten a time or two, but now....this is meat for the ravening SA dogs.

Have at it, I say. The clueless duo deserve all the abuse that can be heaped on them.

7 year-old, never-covered, gaff rigged mainsail flogs itself to death as soon as they/he tried to reef it. Go figure.

Tell me he didn't bring along a sewing machine. Oh, right. Nobody gave him one. Now he's going to hand stitch it? Riiiiight. Good thing he's got 788 days. It will last twenty minutes or less on rehoist.

Or to sink them before they get anymore bad press.
Does he have enough fuel on that tub to motor back to New York from his current location and how much horsepower does his engine(s) have? And, taking into consideration all the stuff on the bottow of the scow, how many mph/kph will he be able to make under power? I'm wanting to start a pool on when he'll be back on the West Side of NYC and need a few facts....

He previously posted that the diesel tanks were leaking, and I'm not sure if Weid did any us his infamous "jury rig repairs" on it. But, since he is now referring to this as the "Mars Odyssey", perhaps he can use all that propane and fashion the Cheese Scow into a rocket! The smell of melting cheese could be enjoyed all over the world! (Can you say, "Melting Pot"?) Get out your bread and skewers, kids. :)

He previously posted that the diesel tanks were leaking, and I'm not sure if Weid did any us his infamous "jury rig repairs" on it. But, since he is now referring to this as the "Mars Odyssey", perhaps he can use all that propane and fashion the Cheese Scow into a rocket! The smell of melting cheese could be enjoyed all over the world! (Can you say, "Melting Pot"?) Get out your bread and skewers, kids. :)

Mmmmmm...fondue! That's what real astronauts eat!!!

But isn't it the moon that's made out of cheese? What's this silliness about Mars?

In the words of Police Chief Wiggum:

"Okay folks, show's over. Nothing to see here, show's... Oh my God! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around!

Soanya says:

"Reid unlashed the sail from the gaff and the boom and somehow we got it into the cargo hold. That was one huge sail. The big birds saw it all happen, but they were busy looking for food and chatting among themselves to really care. That's okay. We had our business to attend to also."

First of all, Sayonara is either nuts with her 'bird' talk while trying to maneuver a huge sail or...

I believe she is not halucinating or nuts, and

I wonder if their boat, being a stationary garbage scow has attracted a flock of raucous pooping and pillaging large birds..?

Holy shit!!!!

The wheels... Sails are coming off this circus. It seems sad to see it end like this but the end is near. They have torn a seam out of their main. It is too heavy for him the two of them to move without a block and tackle. What will happen when they finally decide to throw in the towel??? At this point I think that failure isn't an option if you get what I mean.

For those of us who aren't sailors or sail makers... When the seams start coming apart... That can be from two things... The thread sewing the seam may be disintegrating.. The material where the seams are sewn is rotting. If it is the first Reid will have A LOT of sewing to do. If the later, he won't be able to put them back together.

AND I called it last night!!!.....

November 20, 2007

Day 212

Burst Seam In Mainsail

Hove-to

Position 33° 50 S, 08° 27 W

Temp inside: 63° F (18° C)

R & S have company coming. Can you imagine the look if the Barcelona boats just rip on by?

Barcelona Race

this is going to become not funny anymore very soon.

I wonder, what is the obligation of the racers, as they go by, to offer assistance...then if there is an actual situation immediately threatening to life, to take them off and carry them to the next port of call..?

I wonder if their boat, being a stationary garbage scow has attracted a flock of raucous pooping and pillaging large birds..?

:lol: They are being swarmed by ocean going vultures! :lol: That might explain the sore muscles - swatting away the vultures! Even the birds are predicting gloom!

Hahaha! :lol:

My skipper is talking about laying out 5 figures for a new main, jib and spinnaker from Doyle. Maybe I should send him here and we can beg for them instead. Great angle for us to use: "Donating these sails to a boat that can actually sail at 14 knots is a great way to neutralize the damage you've done to your reputation by having the Doyle name displayed on that rotting, leaky piece of shit drifting off the coast of Africa".

Think they'll go for it?

Soanya says:

No Just Regatta Dogs buddies anticipating lunch.

day_184_R_S_end_near.sized.jpg

I wonder, what is the obligation of the racers, as they go by, to offer assistance...then if there is an actual situation immediately threatening to life, to take them off and carry them to the next port of call..?

Are you kidding? The races will not see the floating wine bottle with their reflector on it. They are in long island eating curry. scamming!

Last place boat is already well south and east of them at 30.18S 13.53W . Others are long gone!

It depends upon how one is handling the waves. If one doesn't have their sea legs and fighting it then quite tiring. I suppose she doesn't have her sea legs yet. :unsure:;)

I have been in a 30 hour distance race when I was not in shape... Very light boat and washing machine conditions, on the rail nearly the whole time... Felt like I had been through a car wreck the next day.

My skipper is talking about laying out 5 figures for a new main, jib and spinnaker from Doyle. Maybe I should send him here and we can beg for them instead. Great angle for us to use: "Donating these sails to a boat that can actually sail at 14 knots is a great way to neutralize the damage you've done to your reputation by having the Doyle name displayed on that rotting, leaky piece of shit drifting off the coast of Africa".

Think they'll go for it?

Interesting, I wonder if the Namibia knows they are there. I sailed past there once and got an unwelcome, "are you goinig to try to steal diamonds!" greeting.

Oh look! It's Wayne!!!

Tell me where he lives Nauti. I will buy you a plane ticket so that you can go and kick his ass. Hey, I could film it and sell copies on here to cover the cost of the tickets. :ph34r:

Last place boat is already well south and east of them at 30.18S 13.53W . Others are long gone!

The JV transat boats are going to finish in Brazil, the Barcelona boats are still north and heading to the gate south of Africa....on thier way around the world....

Just another classic example of Weid Ho's seamanship. I can't imagine anyone leaving their sails uncovered to rot in the sun for a decade. He says it's from 7 years of sailing in the Hudson but come on - it's because he didn't look after them. And then over his 10 years of preparation (or is it 20?) he doesn't think to take his sails down and check the stitching? Did he ever consider covers? Did he ever consider cleaning his sails - I mean how much pollution and dirt has been ground into the dacron during a decade in NYC? Well too late now and he's going to blow out everything even that record "sail that stayed up longer than any man made sail".

Can you imagine dragging that filthy salty wet sail through the interior of your boat? From previous Weid posts, he's been re-stitching and patching on a ongoing basis. If his sailcloth is rotten from dirt and UV exposure, he's screwed.

They weighted too much to get them taken off. Too lazy or the covers cost too much to cover them.

Obviously from the pict we can tell he has no idea of how to flake a sail.

Even on our roller furling screecher we have a sacrificial UV cover built into the sail, in spite of the fact it is rarely used.

If you call a 70 ft boat averaging 2-3 kts. sailing OK

No Daniel, they're F.L.O.A.T.I.N.G. barely, I might add! :lol:

Come on now, not 50 posts ago everyone was saying they're on the hook in the Ascensions... So which is it? Anchored, or sailing?

My vote is still for anchored. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some fodder - look at the recent pic - no external view, no look at the waves, nothin'. Just a pic of the rolled up sail from the interior.

Just so y'all racers understand how big a problem it is - a schooner cannot go to weather without a mainsail. It's not like a sloop or cutter, where you can still make 60 or 70 degrees upwind with a jib or jib/staysail in good breeze - a schooner has insurmountable lee helm without the big main.

I ran a big one for nearly two years - a gorgeous old wooden John Alden boat, designed as a racing schooner in 1914. The owner's sail budget was minimal, and he was never aboard, so we did most of the sail repairs ourselves - fine for a sail training ship. Even covered, the main problem with the big main (98' mainmast) was the stitching, which is much less resistant to UV exposure than the fabric. Over the course of 18 months, we had to replace every stitch on the sail. There were no sailmakers in Pacific Central America - and hand stitching those seams is an unbelievably difficult, tiring, and inefficient process.

Once the first ones go, the rest are not far behind. Luff-to-leach issues are frequent, and on anything bigger than maybe 50 foot or so, impossible to deal with at sea without really competent, fit crew.

If they're really still at sea, this should be the end of their voyage. Any big breeze combined with a lee shore, and they're lobster food.

They weighted too much to get them taken off. Too lazy or the covers cost too much to cover them.

Obviously from the pict we can tell he has no idea of how to flake a sail.

Even on our roller furling screecher we have a sacrificial UV cover built into the sail, in spite of the fact it is rarely used.

I can just hear it now- "Since no one DONATED any sail covers, and we could not afford them, we had to make do...."

All it would have taken was some sunbrella and a sewing machine. See, another example of how he doesn't take care of what was donated to him, and lets it go to shit, while blaming everyone else when it falls apart. Seeing the massive list of donors makes me wonder what he pawned. If anyone here had that much stuff donated, they'd have a helluva nice boat and sure wouldn't be crying, "Give us more! More! More!"

Nope, USA. If you had read their posts, they have hardly seen any birds at all the whole trip. Sayonara commented on her first sighting a couple months out of NY, so bird poop isn't the problem. Well, possibly pigeon poop from those years docked at Pier 63! His poor sails are the result of lack of care, which you can tell by looking at any picture of the boat in their photo galleries.

Think they'll go for it?

Think it's worth a shot! But your boss has to be good a tossing a humongous line of bullshit about his planned Venus Voyage and how it will help the salvation of mankind...

If I weren't such a chicken I'd take a spin by Doyle tomorrow!

If I recall... He has a 250 Gal fuel tank. At $3 a gallon that would be $750 worth of fuel. I wonder who paid for that. :unsure:

I wonder if it has been in there for most of 7 years? Fuel/water separator? Can one make filters from spare baggywrinkles?

The answer he probably has enough for about 200 miles.

Just so y'all racers understand how big a problem it is - a schooner cannot go to weather without a mainsail. It's not like a sloop or cutter, where you can still make 60 or 70 degrees upwind with a jib or jib/staysail in good breeze - a schooner has insurmountable lee helm without the big main.

I ran a big one for nearly two years - a gorgeous old wooden John Alden boat, designed as a racing schooner in 1914. The owner's sail budget was minimal, and he was never aboard, so we did most of the sail repairs ourselves - fine for a sail training ship. Even covered, the main problem with the big main (98' mainmast) was the stitching, which is much less resistant to UV exposure than the fabric. Over the course of 18 months, we had to replace every stitch on the sail. There were no sailmakers in Pacific Central America - and hand stitching those seams is an unbelievably difficult, tiring, and inefficient process.

Once the first ones go, the rest are not far behind. Luff-to-leach issues are frequent, and on anything bigger than maybe 50 foot or so, impossible to deal with at sea without really competent, fit crew.

If they're really still at sea, this should be the end of their voyage. Any big breeze combined with a lee shore, and they're lobster food.

With almost 600 + miles to Capetown, no main , questionable engine/fuel, they need a lee shore or they might be in even bigger trouble and as many have been predicting for the last 61 pages they are going to need a rescue. Which will be fine until they smell the cheese.

Reid says now he's had his main seven years. Way back in June I asked on their blog about sails and expected sail life in the sun. That was in the days of cute responses to questioning posts. Here was the response to my question on day 55, June 15 (the title of that day's posting was "a stitch in time.") :

"piece of info for yer scholarly sails mind, doyle donated the specially made long distance cruising adventure mainsail meant to last for three years of constant use.

let me extend to you an invite to go and lend your myriad and quite remarkable expertise to some other form of negative input

why not get involved with writing to the white house re: iraq instead? give them a piece of your mind and some advice

fair winds and smooth sailing

ciao

Reid says now he's had his main seven years. Way back in June I asked on their blog about sails and expected sail life in the sun. That was in the days of cute responses to questioning posts. Here was the response to my question on day 55, June 15 (the title of that day's posting was "a stitch in time.") :

"piece of info for yer scholarly sails mind, doyle donated the specially made long distance cruising adventure mainsail meant to last for three years of constant use.

let me extend to you an invite to go and lend your myriad and quite remarkable expertise to some other form of negative input

why not get involved with writing to the white house re: iraq instead? give them a piece of your mind and some advice

fair winds and smooth sailing

ciao

Trouble is they made it for him in 2000 and it got left out in the sun/weather uncovered and abused in NY for 7 years , before he starting using it . If it had been new 200 odd days ago we wouldn't be having this discussion. But this is weed we're talking about.

I think that they will have totally given up by the end of the week.

Thursday while we are home eating turkey they will be blasted by 30k winds. Whatever sails are left or are repaired will be broken again.

Friday while we are looking for things to buy on sale. Their sails will be shredded and they will be in a washing machine again. Perhaps in real trouble without steerage. We will be finding out how well his bottle floats with green water coming over the deck, washing open that hatch that is secured with wood screws.

His only hope is turn NORTH and get out of there right now. If you are a member of Saynara's family or a friend of Reid reading this tell him to turn back NORTH now while he still can!

I wish I had never slowed down to look at this fucking wreck.

Anyone know someone, who knows someone's friend of of a friend who might be in the Navy or NSA that could get high res satellite photo of the Scows position?

Maybe we would be able to make out the drifting beacon on the wheel of cheese.

Make it stop.

I wish I had known, I have a POS sewing machine in the attic that I bought off EBay I would have donated had I known. It was advertised as a walking foot but when I got it I found it wasn't. I could arrange an air drop but it would go through the swiss-cheese scow and sink it, giving them an excuse to abandon ship (shit)

Today's behavior of the drift buoy known as SchoonerAnne, per three visit to the Martec Metocean position map...

@ 1000 AST 33.75S 8.40W

@ 1500 AST 33.87S 8.48W

@ 2200 AST 34.11S 8.58W

Which cape are they going to round?

Supposedly around Africa. Think he explained the westerly drift yesterday but am not sure.

I think that they will have totally given up by the end of the week.

Thursday while we are home eating turkey they will be blasted by 30k winds. Whatever sails are left or are repaired will be broken again.

Friday while we are looking for things to buy on sale. Their sails will be shredded and they will be in a washing machine again. Perhaps in real trouble without steerage. We will be finding out how well his bottle floats with green water coming over the deck, washing open that hatch that is secured with wood screws.

His only hope is turn NORTH and get out of there right now. If you are a member of Saynara's family or a friend of Reid reading this tell him to turn back NORTH now while he still can!

Totally agree - they're heading for real trouble. WX does not look good and they have limited control of the boat without the main. His fuel is probably really old and if no one donated filters and biocide, who knows if he could even keep the engine going after shaking up all the crap from the bottom of the fuel tank. Reid Stowe just pisses me off beyond belief. If he was prudent, he would turn back but I don't think he will. He's too big an egotist and Soanya doesn't have a clue and is relying far to heavily on Reid's "expertise". He has encouraged her to communicate with the ocean and have good vibes based on smiles, love, omens and Void Ho voodoo. He fills her head and the Hovians with stories of protecting figureheads and idols and all sorts of airy fairy bullshit. Concern has gone unheeded by Reid and his followers/advisors and my concern now is well tinged with anger at the foolhardiness of this "mission".

Was just going through their old posts looking for the one Robin was talking about (back in the good old days when we could have some dialogue with Jesse), and came across Day 68, June 29, Doyle Sails.

(Mind you, the roller furling unit and two new sails were seven years old by the time asshole departed)

"I must admit, I'm not the perfect sailor and I make mistakes. I try to take care of the sails as well as I can, but sometimes they still get damaged.....blah, blah, blah...plenty of needles and sail material, so as long as I have thread I'll keep these sails going for the duration."

I KID YOU NOT. Unless Sayonara can talk him into turning back right this second, they are absolutely doomed. They cannot leave the boat to the elements in their current location. They need to have control of that tub and right now it has control of them! Sad.

And, we should not forget that sails are not the only problem. Here's what he said Sep 6, day 137

"Many of the things that I do on the boat make me feel connected to ancient man. Like me, early man caught fish and prayed for rain. He also tried to stop leaks everywhere from his water bag to his log canoe. When I see myself fixing a leak, I feel like I could have been doing this through the ages. I am a seaman so I take it as my lot in life. I have a lot of leaks that I have to try to fix, from the diesel tanks to the pilothouse skylight-and I know more will appear. Building the boat, we were very thorough and I was unrealistically optimistic when I announced, “This boat will not leak.” I should be a pro at fixing leaks and I have the best modern materials to fix them with. Who knows how to stop a leak coming in through cracked fiberglass? The water pressure keeps pushing through splash zone industrial epoxy and plumbers epoxy. The water only seeps though now and is not a threat, but I would like everything to be dry. If the leak is above the waterline it can be fixed, but what about below the waterline? I knew we had the leaks when we left. We had to finally leave after so long preparing. We couldn't possibly afford to haul out. I figured I would fix them one way or the other and I'm prepared to tackle new leaks if they appear. The one that I am working on right now was caused in port by a high tide current and storm wind from the wide open southeast. We had at least twelve big tires out, some of them doubled up, but the pier was too exposed and the conditions were too wild. We were lucky we only got some cracks and scrapes while the storm tide lifted the belly of the boat over the edge of the crusty old exposed cement pier. That was in the middle of the winter on the Hudson, and I managed to make an emergency repair by pumping out water and shifting cargo so that the damaged part came high enough out of the water to smear epoxy on. It was freezing so the epoxy putty was too hard to mix and not supposed to be used under 50 degrees F. I boiled the cans in water until the epoxy liquefied, then hung over the side and applied it. It hardened and basically stopped the leak. In the photo, I've moved cargo out of the way and tried my best to stop it again. We'll let you know how the story develops. In the mean time, as the Beatles sang, “I'm fixing a hole…”

He's never said another thing about the leaks being fixed.

The JV transat boats are going to finish in Brazil, the Barcelona boats are still north and heading to the gate south of Africa....on thier way around the world....

Entry from the log (written log not to be confused with a floating dead tree trunk) of the “ANNE”

22nd November 2007, day err, some where east of the moon going down on Ho, opps I mean Mars. Speed warp 2 GMT. (Whatever that means to us sailermens)

Last night while I contemplated the Void from within my world of warm squishy girly smiley place (Ho and I were “AT” it) I was thinking about all the lots of worky squarky thingies I could do if either of us were to venture above decks on watch (I really was on watch though – I was watching Ho’s head moving up and down, up and down, up and down, between my legs doing her Yoga rhythmically to the wondrous sounds of the only music I truly love – void ho -, when I was shaken violently by what I knew immediately was “contact” with another ship (which we were watching out for closely together with biggy waves that I have to keep away from as well). Giselle like I bounded up to the deck using a large block of cheese that I kept next to the bed for use as a “lubricant” for Ho’s squishy bits, as a trampoline to hasten my arrival there, where I witnessed a large fast yachty thingy rapidly disappearing into the void. I hailed them and all I heard as they continued on their way was something that sounded like “we can’t stop now we are racing from Barcelona to Brazil”. As I climbed the bare mast to see if there had been any splinters left or my plasterboard screws had loosened, Ho went to the dome part of the boat (that’s up at the pointy end for any non sailermen person) and she yelled up to me “ OH NO THEY HAVE BROKEN THE BOWSPRIT”. I now have to report this to some one and just see if their insurance covers the cost of replenishing all the “cargo” (weed) that has mysteriously disappeared while we have been out here. I have to do this, as my “friends” ashore would be hurt if I didn’t bring home all their “cargo”.

Your eternal “god like” guru, (some have called me a guru Hero), intrepid space dweller, and “water sport” lover R&S

Finally - there's this structural problem reported July 23, day 92

"Today I am applying epoxy and bolting two pieces of wood to the deck next to the Samson post at the back of the bowsprit. The bowsprit appears shorter because its foreshortened in the photo. Movement at the back of the bowsprit caused by big wind in the jib made the already bent steel to bend even more. The stress caused the deck to start cracking. Look closely at where the Samson post meets its steel fitting at the deck and you can see that the Samson post is cracked and bending back. The thrust at the back of the bowsprit will now be taken up by the blocks of wood contained in the stainless fitting. The black steel angle iron under the bowsprit started bending more, so over the last few days I bolted it through the deck with a half-inch threaded rod on each side and big hardwood blocks. Tomorrow I'll do the same thing on the other side of the bowsprit if the weather permits. I'm doing the work sailing along at five knots and it's pretty bouncy, but waves are not coming over. I sure hope this holds well because I'm running out of wood, bolts, goop, steel cutting blades and other repair materials. In spite of the nagging bow damage everything else is in pretty good shape.Soanya and I are feeling good about sailing in the South Atlantic trade winds and as they shift letting us south, we feel horizons open up. The ocean responds to our love. I was carrying a load of tools to do the bowsprit repair when a rogue wave slapped the bow and rose up over me. Time stood still. Immediately, I sang the Boy George song from the Eighties, Do you really want to hurt me?/ Do you really want to make me cry?, and instead of crashing over me the wall of sparkling water fell back into the ocean. Then I was left singing that song all day.

Reid 1000 Days Non-stop at Sea

Finally - there's this structural problem reported July 23, day 92

"Today I am applying epoxy and bolting two pieces of wood to the deck next to the Samson post at the back of the bowsprit. The bowsprit appears shorter because its foreshortened in the photo. Movement at the back of the bowsprit caused by big wind in the jib made the already bent steel to bend even more. The stress caused the deck to start cracking. Look closely at where the Samson post meets its steel fitting at the deck and you can see that the Samson post is cracked and bending back. The thrust at the back of the bowsprit will now be taken up by the blocks of wood contained in the stainless fitting. The black steel angle iron under the bowsprit started bending more, so over the last few days I bolted it through the deck with a half-inch threaded rod on each side and big hardwood blocks. Tomorrow I'll do the same thing on the other side of the bowsprit if the weather permits. I'm doing the work sailing along at five knots and it's pretty bouncy, but waves are not coming over. I sure hope this holds well because I'm running out of wood, bolts, goop, steel cutting blades and other repair materials. In spite of the nagging bow damage everything else is in pretty good shape.Soanya and I are feeling good about sailing in the South Atlantic trade winds and as they shift letting us south, we feel horizons open up. The ocean responds to our love. I was carrying a load of tools to do the bowsprit repair when a rogue wave slapped the bow and rose up over me. Time stood still. Immediately, I sang the Boy George song from the Eighties, Do you really want to hurt me?/ Do you really want to make me cry?, and instead of crashing over me the wall of sparkling water fell back into the ocean. Then I was left singing that song all day.Reid 1000 Days Non-stop at Sea

YOU.CAN'T.MAKE.THIS.SHIT.UP! Infuckingcredible.

I can believe it...that voice of his could literally stop the seas from rising! :lol::lol:

A question.

On a sprit boat you don't go dead down wind because your sails collapse and you speed sucks, unless it's blowing like hell (25+). On a schooner you should be able to go dead down easily in that wind or less. App. wind 100-180. Reaching is pretty simple if you have sails. App. wind 60-110. Beating, you should be able to carry to about 20 AWA in moderate breeze. Maybe in a schooner, 30-35.

Even without a crew, what is the difficulty in carving out a heart or going where you want to go on a pallet as big as the Atlantic?

They were drifting and slowly sinking.

Now they are rapidly drifting and sinking.

It's just fucking wrong.

In the spirit of ridiculousness that this is I will post a song I was listening to earlier that had shades of Weid and his predicament in it:

it's easier not to be wise

and measure these things by your brains

I sank into Eden with you

alone in the church by and by

I'll read to you here, save your eyes

you'll need them, your boat is at sea

your anchor is up, you've been swept away

and the greatest of teachers won't hesitate

to leave you there, by yourself, chained to fate

I alone love you

I alone tempt you (sound a bit Weidy?)

I alone love you

fear is not the end of this!

it's easier not to be great

and measure these things by your eyes

we long to be here by his resolve

alone in the church by and by

to cradle the baby in space

and leave you there by yourself chained to fate

oh, now, we took it back too far,

only love can save us now,

all these riddles that you burn

all come runnin' back to you,

all these rhythms that you hide

only love can save us now,

all these riddles that you burn yeah, yeah, yeah

I Alone by Live

Google lent the technology to look for Steve Fosset... Maybe we should ask googs to help find the cheese scow???

Why would we want to find Weed? It's more interesting watching an ego attempt to deal with doing something useful, assuming they aren't in Antigua and having a fine chuckle over this shite...

- beetle

Open letter to Doyle Sails,

Dear Sirs,

You are listed on the 1000 days at sea website, as being major sponsors to the expedition led by Reid Stowe and associates to sail for 1000 days without stopping or resupply.

You produce cruising sails which you advertise as being a superior product because of their longevity and suitability for cruising purposes, yet the vessel Anne has now had three major sail failures, which can probably all be attributed to poor preparation, poor engineering or inadequate design before the journey commenced. There have been two major stitching defects, and the mounting/engineering of the bowsprit was inadequate to support your genoa.

I am at a loss to understand why you would support or remain a major sponsor to a project like this, when your product is performing so poorly, when it is being used in a manner inconsistent with good seamanship, and in the hands of Reid Stowe and associates.

It is apparent that Reid Stowe has recut the genoa, based on your telephone advice.

On behalf of thousands of serious offshore sailors, concerned at their welfare, and who cannot communicate their concerns to Reid and co, I urge you to ring them again, and convince them to give up their mad quest to rush headlong into the southern ocean with your shredded sails.

Perhaps you would like to respond to this letter publicly. You will find a copy of it in the Sailing Anarchy forums, where it is being read by thousands of your clients and future customers.

Timmys Trick Turkey

A concerned offshore sailer.

Well boys, you must be feeling pretty stupid about now: First decent gust of wind and the sails shred.

Will Reids gravestone be big enough for you all to get a mention on it ?

Individual Contributors

Charlie Doane, Joel Bluestein, John Krevy, Sterling Barrett, Richard Hudson, Fred Sullivan, Joe Barello, Rand Weeks, Jim Benedict, Mike Dougan, Jesse Fradkin, Carter Emmart, Laurence Guillem, Todd Colburn, Donna Stein, Eric Hunter Slater, Paul Beaudin, Paul Sladkus, Riza Manalo, Desmond Shaw, Bruce Rosencranz, Libby Edwards, Krysia Bibro, Rusty Nielson, Dr. David J. Ores Mission Doctor, Dr. Richard Lehrer Dentistry, Dr Carolyn Stern Dentistry, Tim Ivory Desiel Engineering

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne, Harry Bobby, Keri, Wave, Sara, Mary, Caroline Stowe, Bill and Eunice Doar, Barbara, Bo, Woody Cooper, Jay and John Delaune, Marty Shappard, Ivo Van Laake, James Rice, Mary Harris, Bruce Cardella, Ralph Ashmead, David Wegman, Michael Riccio, Charles (Dominic) Murphy, Anne-France Peidfer, David Birnie, Rene and Eva Saramagnon, Antoine Montisino, Libby Edwards, Andy Mannik, Max Paterson, Dee Maucher, John and Jean Doswell, Steven Blank, Ryan Thompson, Constantine Harrison, Joe Boone, Anne-Brigitte Sirois, Andy Blan, Aniko Erdosi, Dr. Andre Mark, Adam Stoltman, Alejandro Molina, Charlie Lucian, Kristana Texor, Christoph Barthelemy, Chris Parker, Ivo and Aaron, Ed Keough, Heraldo Rivera, Ian Cunningham, John Hersey, Jeff Rutsky, Kevin Kossi, Kamal, Fernando Leon, Laurence Stoller, Louis Morales, Lynn Ramsy, Mitch Donina, Micheal Fisher, Marty Sweeny, Mort Starobin, Mark Appel, Mark Peltier, Mike Evans, Mark Schaffer, Nic Holmes, Phylis and Richard Lehrer, Reza Namazi, Salvador Rossilo, Tomas Banovick, Tim Reed, Tom Cufha, Teri Corrigan,Krisia Bibro

Huh?

Think you might have your hemispheres confused, mate.

BWR boats have just transited the Canary Islands.

Spendid weather in Cape Town today.

Real Time Weather

(Translation: blowing dogs off chains & pissing with rain)

Jesse. Mike, Reid - you like to talk about doing things others haven't and, Reid, you like to think of yourself as a "sailorman." You all are fools. For an example of REAL "sailor men", look at those who sailed McKay's clippers or the men who worked the Charles W Morgan:

"In her 80 years of service, she would make 37 voyages ranging in length from nine months to five years. Charles W. Morgan, in total, brought home 54,483 barrels of whale oil and 152,934 pounds of whalebone. She sailed in the Indian and South Atlantic Oceans, surviving ice and snow storms. Her crew survived a cannibal attack in the South Pacific. Between 1888 and 1904 she was based in San Francisco." Wijkpedia

These were sailing men - they had a well found ship, they knew how to maintain and sail her, they didn't find themselves exhausted after months of very hard labor and they had a purpose. As compared to two wannabe street preachers set adrift on a rotting hulk destined to sink. But, of cousrse, you are not really at sea. You've lied about everything else, why should anyone believe you are at sea. Soup kitchen on the Bowery is more likely. You dream of a meaningless life at sea while you live your meaningless existence trying to make losers think you have value as some kind of "ancient mariners."

Jesse. Mike, Reid - you like to talk about doing things others haven't and, Reid, you like to think of yourself as a "sailorman." You all are fools. For an example of REAL "sailor men", look at those who sailed McKay's clippers or the men who worked the Charles W Morgan:

"In her 80 years of service, she would make 37 voyages ranging in length from nine months to five years. Charles W. Morgan, in total, brought home 54,483 barrels of whale oil and 152,934 pounds of whalebone. She sailed in the Indian and South Atlantic Oceans, surviving ice and snow storms. Her crew survived a cannibal attack in the South Pacific. Between 1888 and 1904 she was based in San Francisco." Wijkpedia

These were sailing men - they had a well found ship, they knew how to maintain and sail her, they didn't find themselves exhausted after months of very hard labor and they had a purpose. As compared to two wannabe street preachers set adrift on a rotting hulk destined to sink. But, of cousrse, you are not really at sea. You've lied about everything else, why should anyone believe you are at sea. Soup kitchen on the Bowery is more likely. You dream of a meaningless life at sea while you live your meaningless existence trying to make losers think you have value as some kind of "ancient mariners."

Tell us how you really feel, Robin.

Google lent the technology to look for Steve Fosset... Maybe we should ask googs to help find the cheese scow???

:ph34r:

Steve Fossett contributed significantly to this world and it's technologies. Weid has done nothing except for himself! To put the two in the same sentence is pathetically ridiculous. Why should anyone spend one more nickel on that asshole? I think you need another cocktail.

Tell us how you really feel, Robin.

Glad to. I really feel these two ought to be keel hauled. I think they should shut up about being "sailors" and simply admit they are homeless losers. I grant you he built the thing and that he's been "sailing" a long time. I would have no problem if they had set off on their "voyage" and checked in, for instance, with some people who know what they are doing every once in a while. And if they showed the slightest sign of common sense. But they don't. She is a brainless bimbo out of the Timothy Leary mold for lost children. He is a charlatan with absolutely no value who insists on likening himself to REAL sailors and adventurers. I have no concern for their safety at all - they've decided their fate and I'm all for it. I don't like the idea someone will risk his or her or their lives to save them but I don't think that will happen. First because I don't think they are at sea. Second, because if they ARE at sea, no one will be able to find them in time to make a difference.

What will happen is a nice little story about how the ripped main has destroyed their hopes will be concocted. Maybe one of the other sails will go or their rudder will be lost or the leaks will becoe "uncontrollable" or a combination of horribles resulting from the lack of supporting gifts for their "voyage" will contribute to the end. However it happens, the story will end with a plea for donations outlining how awful their creditors are and how much they'd like to get home and how little it will take if many people will contribute. And how the "major french writer" wants to sit down with the and talk about their experiences.

Of course - I could be completely wrong and they will sink quietly and simply disappear without further word. But I doubt it.

Come on now, not 50 posts ago everyone was saying they're on the hook in the Ascensions... So which is it? Anchored, or sailing?

Sorry for the delayed response to your question, Daniel.

I rode my Harley to Ascension, setting dozens of world records (longest ride across water

without taking a potty break, longest ride with kickstand down, fastest bike assembled with

drywall screws, etc). They ain't here, so perhaps they are indeed sailing. I will check over

by Aruba and get back to you...

post-22653-1195660370_thumb.jpg

She is a brainless bimbo out of the Timothy Leary mold for lost children. He is a charlatan with absolutely no value who insists on likening himself to REAL sailors and adventurers.

You said it all, Robin.

Howzabout we add a "visual" to that?

(for those who maybe hadn't realized how he had made a "good thing for society and the consciousness of mankind")

RE: The matter of The Sea vs. Reid Stowe

Dear Mr. Stowe,

First of all, let me begin by explaining to you that “The Sea” is a Limited Liability Corporation registered in Delaware whose main shareholders are the North Pacific, South Pacific, North Atlantic, South Atlantic, Indian, Arctic and Antarctic Oceans. Non-voting, minor share holders include the lesser bodies of water throughout the world including the Mediterranean, Caspian, Black, Great Lakes, etc.. Collectively, we are “The Sea”. As Chairman of the Board and CEO of the corporation, I retain the title “The Sea”.

Being The Sea, I am usually too busy to address such matters as posts to a blog site referencing me; however your blog was recently brought to my attention as meriting a look. After a tertiary scan of the site’s content, I dispatched a few very trustworthy sea mammals to reconnoiter your vessel and provide me with a verbal report. It was a tedious report indeed due to the content as well as the fact that the whales were laughing so hard throughout; they had plankton coming out of their blow holes. The report they made was less than flattering to you and your endeavor. It is apparent from both physical observation and from your own reports that the schooner “Anne” is not safe for travel upon my surface. The sooner you remove yourself from me, the less likely I will be to remove you from said surface without benefit of land.

Beyond the physical observations, your blog has made some claims that I take issue with. I appreciate the importance of good public relations as much as anyone and the use of “The Sea” has served me very well over the centuries in literature, poetry, etc. The vast majority of references to “The Sea” have shown a great deal of respect and have served to instill in seafarers and landlubbers alike the respect that I deserve and demand. Your words and your actions, however, are contradictory in nature and you make certain assertions that are completely inaccurate.

While you have on occasion referred to your respect for me, the act of leaving NY Harbor for the open ocean in that “boat” is a blatant affront to your supposed respect. Also, your post dated November 7th states, in part, “Our contentment to just be here pleases the sea.” I’ve checked and double checked all my correspondence for the past 210 days and there is no record whatever of my endorsing you and your inane efforts. I didn’t even know of your existence until a couple days ago and I can assure you --- I am not at all pleased.

For the above reasons, and based on my responsibility on behalf of shareholders to protect “The Sea” from defamation, blasphemy and general disregard, this letter shall serve as an official notice to you to cease and desist the use of the term “The Sea” for the duration of your journey. Should you ignore this order, I will be forced to turn this matter over to our legal department as well as EWCO (Enormous Waves Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary company), for further action.

I tried to post this letter to you direct to your blog site, but was refused. I am posting it here as I was informed that you had recently made posts directly to this site. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me through this forum or at the address below.

Sincerely,

The Sea

69 Neptune Plaza

Suite 1200, Mail Stop 420

Atlantis

P.S. - If you have any doubt as to my ability to influence your chances of survival, I want you to think about what happened to your sail yesterday. I sat next to The Wind at a Rotary luncheon over the weekend and we had a brief chat about your trip. The Wind ripped that seam out of your sail just for shits and giggles.

You said it all, Robin.

(for those who maybe hadn't realized how he had made a "good thing for society and the consciousness of mankind")

Cheesus Planet, good thing I knew what to expect so didn't have to watch that again. Everyone, don't look! (Notice I'm posting this after the fact so it's too late! :lol: )

"JPlanet"

You said it all, Robin.

Reid says: And I gave that course (the sea turtle) to the press

That man juice recycler looks like she is in some sort of hypnotic trance.

Watch her eyes, she really is a Void ho.

RE: The matter of The Sea vs. Reid Stowe

Dear Mr. Stowe,

First of all, let me begin by explaining to you that “The Sea” is a Limited Liability Corporation registered in Delaware whose main shareholders are the North Pacific, South Pacific, North Atlantic, South Atlantic, Indian, Arctic and Antarctic Oceans. Non-voting, minor share holders include the lesser bodies of water throughout the world including the Mediterranean, Caspian, Black, Great Lakes, etc.. Collectively, we are “The Sea”. As Chairman of the Board and CEO of the corporation, I retain the title “The Sea”.

Being The Sea, I am usually too busy to address such matters as posts to a blog site referencing me; however your blog was recently brought to my attention as meriting a look. After a tertiary scan of the site’s content, I dispatched a few very trustworthy sea mammals to reconnoiter your vessel and provide me with a verbal report. It was a tedious report indeed due to the content as well as the fact that the whales were laughing so hard throughout; they had plankton coming out of their blow holes. The report they made was less than flattering to you and your endeavor. It is apparent from both physical observation and from your own reports that the schooner “Anne” is not safe for travel upon my surface. The sooner you remove yourself from me, the less likely I will be to remove you from said surface without benefit of land.

Beyond the physical observations, your blog has made some claims that I take issue with. I appreciate the importance of good public relations as much as anyone and the use of “The Sea” has served me very well over the centuries in literature, poetry, etc. The vast majority of references to “The Sea” have shown a great deal of respect and have served to instill in seafarers and landlubbers alike the respect that I deserve and demand. Your words and your actions, however, are contradictory in nature and you make certain assertions that are completely inaccurate.

While you have on occasion referred to your respect for me, the act of leaving NY Harbor for the open ocean in that “boat” is a blatant affront to your supposed respect. Also, your post dated November 7th states, in part, “Our contentment to just be here pleases the sea.” I’ve checked and double checked all my correspondence for the past 210 days and there is no record whatever of my endorsing you and your inane efforts. I didn’t even know of your existence until a couple days ago and I can assure you --- I am not at all pleased.

For the above reasons, and based on my responsibility on behalf of shareholders to protect “The Sea” from defamation, blasphemy and general disregard, this letter shall serve as an official notice to you to cease and desist the use of the term “The Sea” for the duration of your journey. Should you ignore this order, I will be forced to turn this matter over to our legal department as well as EWCO (Enormous Waves Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary company), for further action.

I tried to post this letter to you direct to your blog site, but was refused. I am posting it here as I was informed that you had recently made posts directly to this site. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me through this forum or at the address below.

Sincerely,

The Sea

69 Neptune Plaza

Suite 1200, Mail Stop 420

Atlantis

P.S. - If you have any doubt as to my ability to influence your chances of survival, I want you to think about what happened to your sail yesterday. I sat next to The Wind at a Rotary luncheon over the weekend and we had a brief chat about your trip. The Wind ripped that seam out of your sail just for shits and giggles.

What a great post! You absolutely have to send this to Sailflat's 1000daysofhell blog! PLEASE!

However, when she writes like this I think of her as some father's daughter who has been led astray by a selfish man who wants her only for comfort and companionship. A man who took complete advantage of her starry eyed youth and imagined need to get away from something. Then I feel badly about her situation, her ignorance of her situation and her probable fate. She sounds more innocent than stupid. I wonder if her father is alive or if he cares. I wonder if she has anyone in the world who truly cares about her. I wonder who she will call to when the waves are huge and the wind is howling. When she realizes that, literally, her life is in the hands of an idiot and there's not a thing she can do about it.

"The ocean has a completely different feel down here. It's a different ocean. Maybe the change in mood is mostly caused by the perpetual heavy gray skies. The colder weather and stronger winds also adds to it. The overall feeling is one of loneliness. It is a magnificent windswept sea that doesn't include humans and holds the knowledge of earth since her very beginnings. We traverse this part of the world where few have reason to go- at our own risk having faith that we will arrive on the other side intact. We are just two humans, maybe the only two humans in existence in a tiny boat sailing on these primeval waters. Land for us is a non-entity. It doesn't exist. Maybe it never has. Our world is the ocean, the wind, the waves, and the sky. There is nothing else."

However, when she writes like this I think of her as some father's daughter who has been led astray by a selfish man who wants her only for comfort and companionship. A man who took complete advantage of her starry eyed youth and imagined need to get away from something. Then I feel badly about her situation, her ignorance of her situation and her probable fate. She sounds more innocent than stupid. I wonder if her father is alive or if he cares. I wonder if she has anyone in the world who truly cares about her. I wonder who she will call to when the waves are huge and the wind is howling. When she realizes that, literally, her life is in the hands of an idiot and there's not a thing she can do about it.

"The ocean has a completely different feel down here. It's a different ocean. Maybe the change in mood is mostly caused by the perpetual heavy gray skies. The colder weather and stronger winds also adds to it. The overall feeling is one of loneliness. It is a magnificent windswept sea that doesn't include humans and holds the knowledge of earth since her very beginnings. We traverse this part of the world where few have reason to go- at our own risk having faith that we will arrive on the other side intact. We are just two humans, maybe the only two humans in existence in a tiny boat sailing on these primeval waters. Land for us is a non-entity. It doesn't exist. Maybe it never has. Our world is the ocean, the wind, the waves, and the sky. There is nothing else."

I agree. A depressing read, especially because just five days ago it was smiles ad nauseam. I hope she's just experiencing her monthly visit from Mr. Grouchy, because she hasn't seen anything yet.