Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

It's human heritage to blow a conch shell? HUMAN HERITAGE...that's definitely one for the compilation of Weid-hovian termonologies. And I guess he can blow his horn from all that yoga he does...oops, my bad.

He can't bring a frigging book of fish, birds, skies but he takes up room with his conch shell? And there is no way that bright, shiny shell is 25-30 years old like he's claiming. He's too much a slob with the upkeep and appearance of his "home" to be keeping a shell all clean and shiny! Give me a fucking break! Does he think we're all morons? OH, NEVER MIND, THE ONLY AUDIENCE HE KNOWS ARE THOSE FOOLS WHO ARE ALLOWED TO POST COMENTS ON HIS BLOG, and they would definitely believe his blowing shells crapola. <_<

• Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

2072290186_d92ad438f8_o.jpg

I have a conch shell. It makes a loud noise when I blow it. That's about it. I guess it needs to sprinkled with magic dust from a unicorn's ass.

:lol::blink: :blink: :lol: You cannot make this shit up!

Better yet!

and this is all Weid:

November 28, 2007

Day 220

When I blow my horn I connect to my higher more powerful and spiritual seeking self. A long deep hollow and resonant blow takes a deep breath, strong lungs and steadiness... I have a photo of myself blowing my horn on my catamaran as we reach our dock on the waterway in North Carolina when we returned home to the fourth continent on our voyage. It is a statement of my presence, an affirmation that I aspire to higher path.

post-19121-1196287997_thumb.jpg

You cannot make this shit up!

It's human heritage to blow a conch shell? HUMAN HERITAGE...that's definitely one for the compilation of Weid-hovian termonologies. And I guess he can blow his horn from all that yoga he does...oops, my bad.

He can't bring a frigging book of fish, birds, skies but he takes up room with his conch shell? And there is no way that bright, shiny shell is 25-30 years old like he's claiming. He's too much a slob with the upkeep and appearance of his "home" to be keeping a shell all clean and shiny! Give me a fucking break! Does he think we're all morons? OH, NEVER MIND, THE ONLY AUDIENCE HE KNOWS ARE THOSE FOOLS WHO ARE ALLOWED TO POST COMENTS ON HIS BLOG, and they would definitely believe his blowing shells crapola. <_<

post-22200-1196288290_thumb.jpgpost-22200-1196288316.jpg

Heck, Reid is anchored off Key West going for the conch shell blowing $500 first prize.

HaHa you lose. Holding the shell upside down.

I absolutely get people's morbid fascination with this particular fucked up effort. I even have seen the jaw-dropping, reluctant humor in the idiocy of these two hapless fools. After all, every one in court laughs at the hunch-back, mentally incompetent fool. Even Shakespear knew that. I have laughed (hard) over some of the posting efforts made here, particularily the very creative photo shopping that has been produced. But some where as both this thread and the schooner Anne have approached the 60's (pages and latitude), this has gotten less funny. So let me ask you a question... when do you stop laughing? When the inevitable occurs and they die? Or will that be a big laugh as well?

Rail Meat

What the hell is your point? You are laughing, we are all laughing. You want them not to die, we all don't want them to die. You will not laugh when it ends, we all will feel sick when they die.

So tell me, when you seem to have had your share of fun over all of this, what exactly will make you any better than the rest of us?

Railmeat,

Perhaps you can give us some insight into why:

1. Doyle continues to sponsor this ridiculous effort despite the facts that their stitching on 7 year old sails (reputedly the worlds best cruising sails) fails, and they do not bother to check for baggywrinkle or sufficient engineering.

2. Doyle is not prepared to communicate the concerns of thousands of offshore sailers to Reid, even though they are the only people in phone contact able to do so.

and

3. Why Reid's metocean floating buoy signal is the only one out of hundreds incapable of being received by passing shipping or sailwx . ?

Railmeat, you might not be able to appreciate the finer nuances and issues at STEAK here. Anybody would think you are a total newby. For someone who has made over 2000 contributions, it is amazing that finally you appear to have made a semi reasonable one.

Now answer the questions dogmeat...

Why do Doyle compound the problem, and why doesnt Reids metocean buoy behave like all the other hundreds do ?

"Dogmeat"? Is that intended to be some sort of clever come back? You guys and these weak insults. First the finger and now this half-baked effort. You really need to get a bit wittier with your repartee.

As for your "newbie" comments, I think you might be sadly mistaken if you think that I am particularly concerned with criticism from a poster with 166 posts to his name, all isolated to a single thread, none of which indicate much sailing knowledge and all of which exhibit the intellectual abilities of a slightly nerdy high school student.

I can provide no insight as to why Doyle continues to sponsor this effort, because there is no evidence that they actually are continuing to "sponsor" this effort. Sponsorship implies the donation of money or goods of value. A loft donated a sail seven years ago. Perhaps you can illuminate what recent actions of the Doyle organization represent a "continuation" of sponsorship. You might also want to point out what ability and responsibility that Doyle has to convey the concerns of anyone to Reid. I will pay you good money if you can prove that Doyle, the organization and the senior management of Doyle have the means to contact Reid. I will pay you more good money if you are able to show us where it is written that Doyle has any such obligation even if they had the means to contact them. Finally, you might want to reassess your statement. I hardly thing that the scorn and parody perpetuated upon these two idiots by a dozen or so bored and clever (or only moderately clever in your case) posters on SA constitute "thousands" of "offshore" sailors. There are not even hundreds of participants on this thread, and the vast majority has never been offshore in their lives.

I also have no idea why Reid's metocean signal is unable to be picked up by passing shipping or sailwx. Moreover, I don't care. It means one of three possible things: your analysis is incorrect; his device is unlike the others and does not transmit locally; his device actually should transmit locally, but like everything else on his boat it is broken and not working correctly. The possibility that a multinational company such at Metocean was convinced by some broke, homeless idiot to perpetuate a fraud beggars belief and the very thought that you would entertain such a notion puts you in league with the dazed idiots who believe that aluminum foil will keep the government from picking up the signals emanating from the chip implanted in you at birth. Every one knows that the government can pick up the signals right through your aluminum hat.

"Steak" is what I will eat tonight, perhaps with a side of creamed spinach and some form of potato and washed down with a nice cabernet. As you will find out in another few years, being an adult has all sorts of benefits. "Stake" is what I think you intended to say. Typos are excusable and spelling mistakes are understandable (I make them all the time). However, picking out a word that is completely wrong indicates that you might have some challenges when you finally get around to taking the SATs.

In terms of this half-baked journey, I think your indignation blinds you from a fundamental assessment of what truly is at stake here. What are ultimately at stake are the lives of two misguided idiots. Collateral damage may include the risk that rescue forces might go through in the likely event that they sink, and the unlikely event that they are actually able to tell the outside world that they are in danger. Other collateral damage is the unquantifiable impact on the good will of the companies and individuals who did actually donate something to this effort and now, because they were duped, will be less likely to donate in the future. Other than those things, there is not much else at stake.

Rail Meat

What the hell is your point? You are laughing, we are all laughing. You want them not to die, we all don't want them to die. You will not laugh when it ends, we all will feel sick when they die.

So tell me, when you seem to have had your share of fun over all of this, what exactly will make you any better than the rest of us?

I am not better than any of you, precisely because I have in fact had my share of fun. My point(s) are:

1) We should not be too proud over the fact that we collectively have spent 66 pages making fun of the class retards.

2) It is a virtual certainty that Doyle, the company, knew nothing of this sail donation by one loft, and that the loft (and the company) is probably embarassed that they were duped.

3) That those who read some sort of conspiracy into this clusterfuck are only slightly less crazy than the two idiots on the boat

That is about it. Ok by you?

To respond, I must post, which thus makes me as crazy as those others who post. But I digress.

Yep, I've got the same problem, yet here I am anyway

When you think that the summary of the known facts is that there is a mentally disturbed 60 year old drug smuggling homeless hippie who subsited for a decade on handouts and is now sailing a patently unsafe bondo-built boat on a mission to float around for 1000 days accompanied by a 20 year old idiot girl who believes in unicorns, fairy dust and the magic of moon beams.....

Rail, this is a brilliant synopsis of the previous 66 pages (minus the laughably inept behavior of the protagonists) and should be the response to those seeking the Cliff's notes version.

Back to the Southern Ocean thing for a minute, while 60S is the published northern boundary, I'll give serious Southern Ocean credits to anyone sailing in the Furious Fifties.

As someone who deliberately stayed as far from the 50s as possible and who only had a brief yet troubled relationship with the roaring forties, let me add this. Whenever I consider Blue water sailing again, I think back to trying to get around Africa and I am reminded how much I disliked being badly frightened for days at a time.

With this actual knowledge (as we lawyers like to say) I just don't see them making it. As delusional as they are, they are still human beings (more or less like you and I) and shouldn't have to go this way.

I admit to not being able to look away but it makes me feel a bit of a voyeur. I guess I keep hoping they get busted on a small Island somewhere warm.

'Cus if the Sothern Ocean treats them anywhere near the way its little sister treated me, They're done.

Regarding the Doyle sails, the big question is why should Doyle care about what is being said here. Mention has been mad of the concerns of thousands of sailors yet this thread only has a dozen or so regular contributors. Why should or would Doyle do anything at all ? If the sails fail, big deal, they were seven years old and had taken quite a hammering. If the damn thing sinks and takes her crew with her blame can hardly be sheeted back to Doyles or their sails. If Anne makes it all the way they get some publicity. I fail to see why they should be rushing to the phones just cos a few souls here are predictiong doom for the scow and its crew. Corporate sponsorship of such endeavours is a gamble and they know it.

Railmeat - ref Doyle. They do refer to their sponsorship on the Doyle Ploch Sails web site. http://www.doyleplochsails.com/dp-latestnews.htm

ref - phone contact - I'm vaguely remembering Stowe referring to a conversation he had with someone from Doyles after the "collision" with the freighter. Can't give you exact reference, certainly cannot be bothered to go looking for it but something is ringing a few bells here.

Hey, let's face it, the whole thing is a shambles but an entertaining shambles nonetheless. I hope they don't quit or sink quite just yet. All this whining about begging them to turn back before it's all too late is just so much bullshit. They cease to be entertaining once they are fish food.

Regarding the Doyle sails, the big question is why should Doyle care about what is being said here. Mention has been mad of the concerns of thousands of sailors yet this thread only has a dozen or so regular contributors. Why should or would Doyle do anything at all ? If the sails fail, big deal, they were seven years old and had taken quite a hammering. If the damn thing sinks and takes her crew with her blame can hardly be sheeted back to Doyles or their sails. If Anne makes it all the way they get some publicity. I fail to see why they should be rushing to the phones just cos a few souls here are predictiong doom for the scow and its crew. Corporate sponsorship of such endeavours is a gamble and they know it.

Railmeat - ref Doyle. They do refer to their sponsorship on the Doyle Ploch Sails web site. http://www.doyleplochsails.com/dp-latestnews.htm

ref - phone contact - I'm vaguely remembering Stowe referring to a conversation he had with someone from Doyles after the "collision" with the freighter. Can't give you exact reference, certainly cannot be bothered to go looking for it but something is ringing a few bells here.

Hey, let's face it, the whole thing is a shambles but an entertaining shambles nonetheless. I hope they don't quit or sink quite just yet. All this whining about begging them to turn back before it's all too late is just so much bullshit. They cease to be entertaining once they are fish food.

Well said Wombat and I too hope they don't sink if ever, or at least until we can go sailing again in our part of the world!

Imagine the mental and physical skills it takes to race a 100-footer like IDEC II at warp speed for more than two months.

I dont think its possible without some sort of "supplement".

That reference on Doyle's site is a "news" item, specifically a note from Reid to Ploch telling him that "we are underway and thanks for the awesome sails you gave me seven years ago". That would hardly constitute "continuing sponsorship".

The other reference was I think to some comments about a message from the guy at Doyle about recutting their jib. A sailmaker advising a client on how to recut their jib on the fly also is not gonna constitute "continuing sponsorship", nor does it mean that any one at Doyle knows how to get in touch with Reid. For all we know Jesse made some sort of sniveling call to this guy at the City Island loft asking how to cut dacron and if the foot should curve towards the deck or away from the deck (WTF!!!) and then passed it on to Reid via email.

Lest we forget, we'd be focussed on some other foolish issue if Reid didn't want us here. He drew us in by garnering more media attention than a Class mini, Class 40 or Ocean Planet campaign has yet to receive in the US by his shameless untruthful hyperbole ridden huckstering. The sheer outrageousness of his plans, mistatements of fact, misuse of sponsorship $$$, etc. irks me. I don't wish the couple ill but do await their hopefully safe undoing. SA hopefully has led some to not drink his Kool Aid and pointed out the foolhardiness of his "Mars Exploration" to some of the media that otherwise would have printed or broadcast this rubbish without reservation.

That reference on Doyle's site is a "news" item, specifically a note from Reid to Ploch telling him that "we are underway and thanks for the awesome sails you gave me seven years ago". That would hardly constitute "continuing sponsorship".

The other reference was I think to some comments about a message from the guy at Doyle about recutting their jib. A sailmaker advising a client on how to recut their jib on the fly also is not gonna constitute "continuing sponsorship", nor does it mean that any one at Doyle knows how to get in touch with Reid. For all we know Jesse made some sort of sniveling call to this guy at the City Island loft asking how to cut dacron and if the foot should curve towards the deck or away from the deck (WTF!!!) and then passed it on to Reid via email.

No argument. I'm basically in agreement with you and was only commenting on the those two points. I'm certainly not saying that Doyles are actively or continuing sponsoring the shambles. Reid claimed to have spoken with Doyles on the phone but that proves bugger all really, as you say it could well have been Jesse. Doyles provided the roller furling gear as well, didn't they ?

"Dogmeat"? Is that intended to be some sort of clever come back? You guys and these weak insults. First the finger and now this half-baked effort. You really need to get a bit wittier with your repartee.

As for your "newbie" comments, I think you might be sadly mistaken if you think that I am particularly concerned with criticism from a poster with 166 posts to his name, all isolated to a single thread, none of which indicate much sailing knowledge and all of which exhibit the intellectual abilities of a slightly nerdy high school student.

I can provide no insight as to why Doyle continues to sponsor this effort, because there is no evidence that they actually are continuing to "sponsor" this effort. Sponsorship implies the donation of money or goods of value. A loft donated a sail seven years ago. Perhaps you can illuminate what recent actions of the Doyle organization represent a "continuation" of sponsorship. You might also want to point out what ability and responsibility that Doyle has to convey the concerns of anyone to Reid. I will pay you good money if you can prove that Doyle, the organization and the senior management of Doyle have the means to contact Reid. I will pay you more good money if you are able to show us where it is written that Doyle has any such obligation even if they had the means to contact them. Finally, you might want to reassess your statement. I hardly thing that the scorn and parody perpetuated upon these two idiots by a dozen or so bored and clever (or only moderately clever in your case) posters on SA constitute "thousands" of "offshore" sailors. There are not even hundreds of participants on this thread, and the vast majority has never been offshore in their lives.

I also have no idea why Reid's metocean signal is unable to be picked up by passing shipping or sailwx. Moreover, I don't care. It means one of three possible things: your analysis is incorrect; his device is unlike the others and does not transmit locally; his device actually should transmit locally, but like everything else on his boat it is broken and not working correctly. The possibility that a multinational company such at Metocean was convinced by some broke, homeless idiot to perpetuate a fraud beggars belief and the very thought that you would entertain such a notion puts you in league with the dazed idiots who believe that aluminum foil will keep the government from picking up the signals emanating from the chip implanted in you at birth. Every one knows that the government can pick up the signals right through your aluminum hat.

"Steak" is what I will eat tonight, perhaps with a side of creamed spinach and some form of potato and washed down with a nice cabernet. As you will find out in another few years, being an adult has all sorts of benefits. "Stake" is what I think you intended to say. Typos are excusable and spelling mistakes are understandable (I make them all the time). However, picking out a word that is completely wrong indicates that you might have some challenges when you finally get around to taking the SATs.

In terms of this half-baked journey, I think your indignation blinds you from a fundamental assessment of what truly is at stake here. What are ultimately at stake are the lives of two misguided idiots. Collateral damage may include the risk that rescue forces might go through in the likely event that they sink, and the unlikely event that they are actually able to tell the outside world that they are in danger. Other collateral damage is the unquantifiable impact on the good will of the companies and individuals who did actually donate something to this effort and now, because they were duped, will be less likely to donate in the future. Other than those things, there is not much else at stake.

I'm curious why a Doyle franchise is called a 'loft?' I never heard that term used.

Anyway, Bill Beaudin (I think that's his name...I don't have the time right now to go back through past posts to check) of City Island Doyle, is in telephone contact with Reid and Reid has stated that he has spoken to Bill B. at least twice that I remember: once when he destroyed the bowsprit and needed to rework that sail and recently about another sail matter. I would think that that would be considered monetary as it is a consulting fee. Heck, lawyers charge you for a phone call, why not a sailmaker? I am sure Doyle also has Reid's boat e-mail address. They have been in touch while out at sea. If you need, I'll find dates to back this up.

I'm curious why a Doyle franchise is called a 'loft?' I never heard that term used.

Anyway, Bill Beaudin (I think that's his name...I don't have the time right now to go back through past posts to check) of City Island Doyle, is in telephone contact with Reid and Reid has stated that he has spoken to Bill B. at least twice that I remember: once when he destroyed the bowsprit and needed to rework that sail and recently about another sail matter. I would think that that would be considered monetary as it is a consulting fee. Heck, lawyers charge you for a phone call, why not a sailmaker? I am sure Doyle also has Reid's boat e-mail address. They have been in touch while out at sea. If you need, I'll find dates to back this up.

Loft - common name for a sailmakers workshop. Or do you mean you've never heard it used in relation to Doyles ?

Whether the phone call was directly to RS or was via Jesse is really a bit academic isn't it ? I agree with Railmeat that it doesn't constitute ongoing sponsorship. I've had chats with riggers and sailmakers where they've given me advice over the phone at no charge indeed in my own business I've done much the same thing. Sometimes it's easier to answer someone's questions than to get all agro and telling them to piss off. Maybe this BB fella is a mate. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Oh, and I don't think 'STEAK' was a type-o...I think it was a play on your name.....

Loft - common name for a sailmakers workshop. Or do you mean you've never heard it used in relation to Doyles ?

Whether the phone call was directly to RS or was via Jesse is really a bit academic isn't it ? I agree with Railmeat that it doesn't constitute ongoing sponsorship. I've had chats with riggers and sailmakers where they've given me advice over the phone at no charge indeed in my own business I've done much the same thing. Sometimes it's easier to answer someone's questions than to get all agro and telling them to piss off. Maybe this BB fella is a mate. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Me too.... my sailmaker spends a considerable amount of time providing me answers and information and is not paid on a consulting buisiness. It is what differentiates him and causes me to give him my business.

mmm, magic conch shell..... post-4713-1196305337_thumb.jpg

post-22200-1196288290_thumb.jpgpost-22200-1196288316.jpg

Heck, Reid is anchored off Key West going for the conch shell blowing $500 first prize.

HaHa you lose. Holding the shell upside down.

Well put tdwombat. My sentiments exactly.

Sorry for the novel here. I didn't realize I had so much to say after so few beers!

Been lots of arguing here today! Whew! I get a kick out of reading days like today. The way I figure it, Reid and Soanya are probably sailing and who cares where they are. If they actually are somewhere near where they say, good for them. If they are not, and they feel the need to lie about it, that is too bad, but who cares. Hopefully anyone who might actually be planning such an unwise trip will stumble across the bits of wisdom mixed in here and at least get some advice before they set out.

As for the aquaknots, I hope they make it the full 1000 days. It would be a great feat for them on the boat they are on. They are not very intelligent in many of the things they are doing, but the same can be said for any of us at times. Hopefully we (and they) do not purposely take from others on false or even slightly shady circumstances, but that is none of my business. I truly hope they make it and return, because I think that will be the only chance we have to get some answers for the questions we raise here. We may be totally off and they may be totally right, or the opposite may likely be true. Hopefully there is some explainable middle ground, but again, life goes on.

I will definitely see whatever movies or documentaries are produced just as I have seen "Void Ho" and shown it to everyone I know just to watch their faces. Not that i enjoy his style or would even call it style, but because like it or not, this has become a part of all of our lives. I know more about Reid and Soanya than almost any of the other people at the local marina or yc. Even the people posting today that are criticizing the normal posters here by action have taken an interest in us the same as we have Reid and Soanya. I think they should start a new topic called, "SA'ers Too Involved in 1000 Days Critique." Then, you can pick us apart as much as we pick apart Reid and Soanya. You can tell of all the things we are doing wrong, live your life over there, and we can ignore your comments and pretend you don't exist. After 60+ pages, people will probably acknowledge your attempt as some sort of crazy obsession. Of course, you will end up assuming some of us are trolling over there and wasting your time. We may very well be, but it will ultimately prove one thing. People all need to live in there little groups with others who are like minded and on the same course. We must convince those who do not understand why we are correct and push away any that do not conform. In the end, the one thing we prove is that man cannot live in anarchy. We will form groups that will govern themselves and choose their own foreign policy. We don't have to agree or get along. You will be happy over there and us over here. But, the second one invades the other, there will be WAR and then only the Navy gets to sail and they won't take me (bum leg).

So, lets get back to what we all do during the week while we cannot be sailing. I for one am a part of this to pass the time until I can spend more money on my boat. Someday when I am old and sailing with a 20 year old chick, you can critique me all you want. What do you think I will do? 20 year old chick vs. SA. If Reid or Soanya spent as much time as some of us do here (me), they definitely would not be sailing! So, the longer we do not get a response from them the more likely it is they are enjoying their lives on some island or block of cheese. The second they start responding, that means the end is near and they no longer have something better to do. I hope as I know all of us really do, that they are safe and enjoy The Sea and The Sun. Hopefully they do not cause harm to others, but I say that every time I drive my car. At some point, even the crazy people get to make their own decisions.

Good luck to Reid and Soanya. You definitely need luck! But, when you return, you better have a hell of a bunch of good answers - or at least the patience to put up with the questions. You have pissed a bunch of people off with some of your comments, maybe not on purpose. We may have pissed you off, but we are not trying to make a living off of this. If you want support, you have to engage the debate. Only cult/religious leaders/politicians in non-election years can get away with saying screw everyone else, I am God! Enjoy your trip. When, hopefully not if, you return, show your credibility.

Until then, I think we should start a pool on how many pages this thread will reach before the trip is over! That should prove that anyone who claims a high number of pages really wants to see them last a long time. If 220 days = 67 pages, then I say 305 pages should do. That of course assumes they continue to post pictures with their faulty iridium phone :P

Now to try to figure out how to start a new thread for those who need a new government. I wonder if it will work.....

I just fell asleep reading post #6604 on the bus .home ......

Back to regular programming though, where do we reckon the Fucktard Regianno's really are????

Me too! Six times while I wrote it. That's one of those moments when alcohol convinces you that you have something to say, and then two hours later when you read it, you want another drink so it makes sense again! Good night!

But wait! There's more!

"It takes time, planning and a little editing to create footage, but we are determined to make a great movie."

post-22653-1196337355_thumb.jpg

No need to refer to future tense. The movie is already in progress....

Most viewers will hope the relatively innocent girl gets away clean, while her asshole boyfriend,

the manipulative, self-centered (tiny dicked) rebel without a clue, discovers ultimate justice.

You can, in fact, make the shit up. It's called "opera", and is a story that has been made up a

thousand times before, in various forms. Granted, far more cheese than your average Puccini,

but opera nevertheless....sex, drugs, violence, stupidity, innocence, guilt, hope, probable death.

The only thing missing is the CNN cameras, focused on the slow speed chase down the freeway...

Did it sink yet?

Not yet! But I am predicting more drama over the weekend. Might find about it on Mon or Tues due to their posting delay and offset to avoid "rescue party" detection.

I just fell asleep reading post #6604 on the bus .home ......

Back to regular programming though, where do we reckon the Fucktard Regianno's really are????

You're post #6604, you are boring, you can't stand yourself for half a second.

Where are they? Somewhere better than here. A bad day of sailing, on a leaky boat is better than a good day in the office.

Where are they? Somewhere better than here. A bad day of sailing, on a leaky boat is better than a good day in the office.

You have either never experienced a truly dreadful day on the water or your job really sucks.

You have either never experienced a truly dreadful day on the water or your job really sucks.

Having been an avid, active sailer for 60 years, I can say that I have never experienced a “bad” day sailing (I am still alive and sailing). Other peoples definition of a “bad” sailing day, I look back on and say with honesty “I wouldn’t have missed it for “Quids”)

BUT a bad day at the office – I know exactly what they mean and anticipate them (bad days at the office) with dread.

The good and the bad when sailing, are all the same and it is all part of a sailers life that is to be accepted, appreciated, and always enjoyed. The bumper sticker that says, “I’d rather be sailing” has meaning only to a true sailer. Reedy is an absolute “dick”, BUT I oft times feel that I would rather be “out there” than in the office.

Having been an avid, active sailer for 60 years, I can say that I have never experienced a “bad†day sailing (I am still alive and sailing). Other peoples definition of a “bad†sailing day, I look back on and say with honesty “I wouldn’t have missed it for “Quidsâ€)

BUT a bad day at the office – I know exactly what they mean and anticipate them (bad days at the office) with dread.

The good and the bad when sailing, are all the same and it is all part of a sailers life that is to be accepted, appreciated, and always enjoyed. The bumper sticker that says, “I’d rather be sailing†has meaning only to a true sailer. Reedy is an absolute “dickâ€, BUT I oft times feel that I would rather be “out there†than in the office.

99.9% of the time ditto.

That means somebody deleted a post above that one -- everything after it slides up one. 6604 becomes 6603... yada yada...

?? Huh? Oh, I can't be bothered .......

Actually I can stand myself for short periods, however I usually have to go out and get drunk, go home and take advantage of myself to maintain my self-respect.

Well done RD! All the dog biscuits you can eat.

Bedtime and no update yet... have to wonder... Are they in trouble? Shouldn't get hit with too much weather for a couple more days. On the other hand... They could be further ease than their tracker indicates.

Having been an avid, active sailer for 60 years, I can say that I have never experienced a “bad” day sailing (I am still alive and sailing). Other peoples definition of a “bad” sailing day, I look back on and say with honesty “I wouldn’t have missed it for “Quids”)

The good and the bad when sailing, are all the same and it is all part of a sailers life that is to be accepted, appreciated, and always enjoyed. The bumper sticker that says, “I’d rather be sailing” has meaning only to a true sailer. Reedy is an absolute “dick”, BUT I oft times feel that I would rather be “out there” than in the office.

honestly? really? never a "bad" day of sailing? sorry, dude, if you've never had a bad day sailing in 60 yrs then you've never really been sailing. granted, you may consider it better than the office, but when all hell breaks and your shit breaks too, you have a bad day sailing.

yes, regardless of the ultimate outcome, you learn something and you are better for the experience, but to say it was never bad is bullshit. i had a bad day just the other day, and it wasn't even offshore. did i learn something...hell yeah. would i have rather been at the "office"...hell no, but it was a bad day. tactical fuck ups, crappy boat handling, etc. etc.

what the fuck is so damn hard about admitting that the wind and waves sometimes just gets the better of you? it has nothing to do with what you'd "rather" be doing...sometimes sailing is hard...we love it but it just isn't easy all the time. sometimes is is just plain BAD.

oh, and BTW boring=bad. are you gonna try to claim you've never had a boring day sailing? light air, no one within competitive distance? and that's just racing. ever deliver a boat that sucks in conditions that suck? on the water for twice the time expected? with systems failing and you gotta be somewhere, like on another better boat, having a better time? <_<:rolleyes:<_<

honestly? really? never a "bad" day of sailing? sorry, dude, if you've never had a bad day sailing in 60 yrs then you've never really been sailing. granted, you may consider it better than the office, but when all hell breaks and your shit breaks too, you have a bad day sailing.

yes, regardless of the ultimate outcome, you learn something and you are better for the experience, but to say it was never bad is bullshit. i had a bad day just the other day, and it wasn't even offshore. did i learn something...hell yeah. would i have rather been at the "office"...hell no, but it was a bad day. tactical fuck ups, crappy boat handling, etc. etc.

what the fuck is so damn hard about admitting that the wind and waves sometimes just gets the better of you? it has nothing to do with what you'd "rather" be doing...sometimes sailing is hard...we love it but it just isn't easy all the time. sometimes is is just plain BAD.

Had a boat go down under me (I was crewing) in Bass straight during one BIG blow, lost all the rigging in a roll over in the middle of The Great Australian Bight with a 50 knot wind blowing us straight towards 300ft cliffs dropping sheer into the water that extended both east and west of us for 150 miles in each direction with no landfall and with the “iron spinnaker” under water and unable to be started. Would YOU classify those as “bad” days?

I came out of them (and a few lesser others) alive and I really appreciate that fact BUT they did happen and I would still not have it any other way.

If you are a sailer then it is ALL-good. You have to accept the good with the bad and enjoy all of it. If you only enjoy the good and complain about the bad then you just aren’t embracing sailing in all its facets.

BTW that is just my opinion and I respect your right to disagree IN YOUR OPINION

An electronic holiday greeting from Reid and Soanya ---

Set down your beverage and swallow before clicking -- HERE.

:D

It would be a crime if this didn't recieve a mention in the best of 2007 SA Awards when they roll out next June.....

Had a boat go down under me (I was crewing) in Bass straight during one BIG blow, lost all the rigging in a roll over in the middle of The Great Australian Bight with a 50 knot wind blowing us straight towards 300ft cliffs dropping sheer into the water that extended both east and west of us for 150 miles in each direction with no landfall and with the “iron spinnaker” under water and unable to be started. Would YOU classify those as “bad” days?

I came out of them (and a few lesser others) alive and I really appreciate that fact BUT they did happen and I would still not have it any other way.

yeah, i would say that was a bad day. whether or not you "would have it any other way" is besides the point. no? every fucking day i was ever on the water was a learning experience and i would not trade them for almost anything else i have done in my life but not admitting or accepting them as "bad days" is just plain bullshit. bad days can be as cherished as good, but bad days they are nonetheless.

yeah, i would say that was a bad day. whether or not you "would have it any other way" is besides the point. no? every fucking day i was ever on the water was a learning experience and i would not trade them for almost anything else i have done in my life but not admitting or accepting them as "bad days" is just plain bullshit. bad days can be as cherished as good, but bad days they are nonetheless.

I think of it in another way Elle, I have never thought of any day at sea as “Bad” just some days are better than others. When my time comes I hope it will be “at sea” and not on dirt that doesn’t move under my feet. At least there I will meet again some of my best friends who have gone before

I think of it in another way Elle, I have never thought of any day at sea as “Bad” just some days are better than others. When my time comes I hope it will be “at sea” and not on dirt that doesn’t move under my feet. At least there I will meet again some of my best friends who have gone before

Oh, there have been some bad days in my experience. Really, really bad days. Not just drizzly, not just broken bits, but days you would not wish on anyone except Dick Cheney.

Wanting to end up at sea implies a love of the sea. But, truly. There are bad days at sea. To deny it is romanticized balderdash.

OMG! :lol:1st place, most funny post of all time. I wish I took your advice, I have a splattering of coffee on my computer screen.

I had to watch it again and noticed Reid has grown boobs. Must be from smoking all that pot. Once again good job RG.

Brilliant, what were you looking for when you found that?

:lol::lol:

Some kid at a Christmas dinner last year showed us. After the R&S show, there's an option on the left that allows you to do one yourself. All you need is a picture and you can make your own -- if you are not too distracted by Reid moving next to you while you work. Or you can just go to www.elfyourself.com.

Enjoy,

RD

Some kid at a Christmas dinner last year showed us. After the R&S show, there's an option on the left that allows you to do one yourself. All you need is a picture and you can make your own -- if you are not too distracted by Reid moving next to you while you work. Or you can just go to www.elfyourself.com.

Enjoy,

RD

Any one know why I can't open this (other than I don't know how to work my computer)

Hear that giant sucking sound???

That is the sound of the cheese schooner anne getting sucked in. Looks like he tried to turn north to get out of it last night and couldn't make it. It may all be over Sunday... We will see.

I presume that the lack of update is due to the weather. I don't think that he will be able to stumble away from this one with dumb luck.

The beacon is starting to complain a lot about lack of juice. The ironic thing is that the lower the voltage, the more it complains, sucking down the voltage further. I hope that it doesn't take a dive before things are all over. I wonder if he has a backup GPS? But then didn't he say he could do celestial navigation? Maybe he will be able to see though the clouds.

Hear that giant sucking sound???

That is the sound of the cheese schooner anne getting sucked in. Looks like he tried to turn north to get out of it last night and couldn't make it. It may all be over Sunday... We will see.

I presume that the lack of update is due to the weather. I don't think that he will be able to stumble away from this one with dumb luck.

The beacon is starting to complain a lot about lack of juice. The ironic thing is that the lower the voltage, the more it complains, sucking down the voltage further. I hope that it doesn't take a dive before things are all over. I wonder if he has a backup GPS? But then didn't he say he could do celestial navigation? Maybe he will be able to see though the clouds.

They've gone without communicating for three days or more several times so that's no cause for alarm. In checking several sites for weather conditions down there right now, I'm only seeing 7-9 foot waves which I don't think is very bad. Do you think otherwise? Do you use a specific site for ocean conditions?

Well, about his celestial navigating. He claims to be able to use a sextant but, according to several of Sayonara's complaints, he doesn't even know the constellations which totally blows me away since my five year old nephew who lives inland knows some of them! I've lived in a couple high altitude places and you can pick out the constellations even if you don't know anything about astronomy because they're so obvious! So I think his claim of celestial navigations are another one of his gross exaggerations! IMHO ;)

They've gone without communicating for three days or more several times so that's no cause for alarm. In checking several sites for weather conditions down there right now, I'm only seeing 7-9 foot waves which I don't think is very bad. Do you think otherwise? Do you use a specific site for ocean conditions?

Well, about his celestial navigating. He claims to be able to use a sextant but, according to several of Sayonara's complaints, he doesn't even know the constellations which totally blows me away since my five year old nephew who lives inland knows some of them! I've lived in a couple high altitude places and you can pick out the constellations even if you don't know anything about astronomy because they're so obvious! So I think his claim of celestial navigations are another one of his gross exaggerations! IMHO ;)

It seems to me the least of their problems is celestial navigation. Or, for that matter, electronic assisted navigation since they can't do much about keeping a course anyway. Do they still have sails? 7 foot waves may not be bad for anyone else, but for them? For Soanya who hates it when the boat "leans" and the weather is all grey and windy and cold and damp? Remember the condition of their bottom. Remember the leaks. How secure are their hatches? Remember when the "rogue wave" came up to smite them but he sang it down?

There's supposed to be a backup gps in a plastic bag somewhere in the pilot house. but batteries? What they're better off doing is an epirb test.

but - of course, what's really going on is that they are docked and hanging out. A couple of days of no reports increases the hit rate as people check more frequently to see if there's anything new. At least I hope so, for their sake. If they are out there, Jesse and Mike, tell 'em to trigger the epirb. But, if they are not, then you really are as smart as I figured you are.

Have you been watching Kevin Costner in "The Notebook" again? I recommend you stop.

On a side note: is "sailer" the word, or is it "sailor"? it's been used more than once in this argument/ conversation so I assume it's not a typo. Just curious.

For the record I'd have to agree with Elle. I have been through all those points (no breeze. too much breeze, breaky breaky, endless delivery, etc.) and I have definitely classified some days as "bad" in some way or another

At SORC in Miami a few years back we dismasted. Nobody got hurt but I'm still thinking I had a "bad" day until we got in and heard that on another boat a dude died. Hiking and a wave washed a jellyfish onto him. Turns out he was violently allergic.

If nobody dies, it's not really a bad day. Challenging maybe.

Imminent death...I believe that brings us back to our intrepid duo.

Someone got through the censors over at the 1000 days blog under the Reid blowing a conch:

Jim L. said...

WHAT A FRIGGIN' LOON!

DOESN'T EVEN KNOW AN ALBATROSS? MR. SAILOR MAN IS A MORON.

TELL CAPTAIN CRUNCH TO SEND POOR SONYA HOME BEFORE HE EATS HER.

9:42 AM

:lol: :lol:

Christmas has come early...

Reid is talking about sprouts again.

:lol::P:lol:

Todays Reidsdom on eating sprouts:

It's like being in space and chewing on them like a cow while glancing at the moon and the stars reflecting in the water. It's a transporting experience. While slowly orbiting earth, we send back messages from our spaceship. “Eat sprouts twice a day, it will be a giant step for mankind.”

I hope those nutritionists at NASA are paying attention to this.

• Reid's Paintings - Check
  • 1 Ton mung beans for sprouts - Check
  • Yoga platform - Check
  • Harem of teenagers - Check

Blast off.

The guy's going over the edge folks.

BTW - The cow didn't glance at the moon, she jumped over it.