Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

I must confess---I harbor a perverse fascination for the marginalized or self proclaimed visionaries and renaissance men. I seem to sort of collect them. The scary thing about this dude is that he is almost for real, almost believable, almost a sailor. His line of BS is good enough to fool those with little experience. Back when he was in the chips with large amounts of unlaundered cash, his BS had some cache. But when he found himself washed up on the shore of Manhattan, without the influence a little green will buy and living in relative squalor, he developed, or rather evolved, this shtick to maintain a presence in the world. Yup... I've known this two bit grifter since the mid 80s.

When he did his time he left some pretty hefty debts scattered around the Islands. I suppose that accounts for the Navy Seal style recovery of Anne from Snoopy Island (Sint Maarten) after his release. She sat for years jammed up against the sand. Suddenly some hurried preparation and she was gone. Tomorrow I will see if I have some pics of her sitting there...no promises.

No doubt in my mind he would not have ever left on this trip if Pier 63 were still in existence.

No doubt his departure was premature, (his gear cannot survive) but what really frightens me is this struck me as an act of desperation...the last stand of a David Karesh sort of thing. Some thing he had voiced one too many times and felt forced into carrying it out.

That poor girl is going to have a struggle getting home, I'm afraid.

If you knew him, and you asked yourself---What if he fails? What will be left for him?---that would give you the same spinal shiver it gives me!

Some good comedy for sure...but I fear it might not end so comically.

• Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Posted Images

Ok...all of a sudden you are all worried about them after bashing them for months. Why? Save them...don't save them...

Sailflat has the saving hand...start a SAR...yes...no...just look how sailflat has got you all turned around. Those that aren't posting are too deeply concerened about their welfare that they are speechless. Sailflat is a genius or maybe not. How hard is it to turn the opinions of lemmings?

Day 233 is just a picture. No fluffy,artsy-fartsy, pseudo-philosophical text. Something is up. Before they had problems sending pictures, due to satellite problems, sending only text. Now it is just a picture.

I doubt this actually came from the cheese scow. More likely from the Hovians at Disaster Control... trying really hard to control the PR disaster.

Ok...all of a sudden you are all worried about them after bashing them for months. Why? Save them...don't save them...

Sailflat has the saving hand...start a SAR...yes...no...just look how sailflat has got you all turned around. Those that aren't posting are too deeply concerened about their welfare that they are speechless. Sailflat is a genius or maybe not. How hard is it to turn the opinions of lemmings?

Hey fairandhonest, go fuck yourself. All along we have had a great time bashing them but we have always cared about her safety. We're not lemmings. And where the hell have you been for 7300+ posts? Stay out of this right now or at least keep your mouth shut. You're not in a position to comment unless it's something constructive. :ph34r:

i totally agree with white lightnin', best to call the authorities, give them the info and let them decide what should be done. if they are fine and once again floundering along, then fine. if not, then the professionals will know what to do with them.

i think the time to have called someone to go out and haul their asses in has long past. just like the dude in the article someone posted pages and pages back, someone called the authorities and told them that an idiot in an unseaworthy boat was floating around with no knowledge of his actual whereabouts and he was picked up an hauled back to shore BEFORE he put himself, other people and vessels and rescue personal in danger. too late for reid. though i think it is tragic that soanya may go down with reid's ship, if their blog can be believed, they both willingly went forth. i have never believed that she made the choice to go on this voyage with full knowledge of reid's ability, the seaworthiness of the boat (or lack thereof), and any true idea of what sailing in the area they now claim to be involved. i've often wondered, especially since that article was posted, why it shouldn't have been done before. i guess if i felt strongly enough about it, as i claim to, i might have done it. by reid's own postings anyone but the truly ignorant could easily see that neither he nor his boat nor his crew was prepared for "the sea". the real disagreement has always been whether he had the "right" to do it regardless of the outcome, not whether or not he was prepared or able bodied enough for it, right? i may be wrong. just an opinion.

while i would not think a few days with no postings would be significant under most circumstances these particular individuals have posted nearly every mundane thought that goes through their minds and a 4 day void in written stream of conscious blather IS significant.

oh and i still say no fucking way will i ever send a penny to his paypal unless it's to tow them in. as for t-shirts, i'll wait for the 1000daysofhell gear to come out before i think about buying one. i'd like one of cheesus praying for spare parts, please.

edit to add: i also still think this trip for reid is, was and will always be a do it or die trying, no matter who he takes with him, venture.

Oh crap, here comes the Diversionary Forces again. Right now your time would much better spent concentrating on Damage Control.

dear FuckwitandFullofshit,

"all of a sudden"? as you well know, since your sorry fired ass (if you are jesse or one of the other reidhovian mission control asshats) picked and chose what was posted on their idiotic blog, most here have always been concerned about their safety, the safety of those they may encounter out on the water and the honesty of the information posted on their blog. if you are not jesse or one of the reidhovian mission control asshats, you would know had you bothered to read this entire thread that most here have always been concerned about their safety, the safety of those they may encounter out on the water and the honesty of the information posted on their blog. the only lemmings are the ones jumping off the rah rah follow your dreams reid cliff.

Just seeing your chosen name for here (FAIR AND HONEST) worried me with its pretentiousness! It reminded me of the first thing a scoundrel will say when queried “TRUST ME I AM A PROFESIONAL”, or when a political says “believe me when I say that I do it all for YOUR good”

(Is it me or do all Hovians have a propensity for the use of the word lemmings when they post here? Almost like a coded reference so that the other Hovians will recognise them)

dammit... did no one notice that the beacon shut down about 5 hours ago!!

Making the call!

The wheels are off the bus

The metocean tracker shut down about 5 hours ago.

Contacted the appropriate authorities and hope to receive updates.

I will reveal details when I am certain that there will be no more interference from the Reid Hovians.

SF - tell them to also look for a little avon inflatable. They might not find the cheese skow. If the two had to jump ship, and the only thing working was the tracker, it probably would be running out of batteries about 5 hours ago! I don't think we can tell what boat they are on can we? The other possibility is that the ho-vian camp is in contact with Reid, but no longer Soanya. Until they figure out what to do, they are keeping quiet. When they heard you were coming to their aide, they shut down the beacon again. Timing seems right for either scenarios. I know this all sounds conspiracy theory, but if any of it is true and they do need help, the risk is worth it. If they are fine, they can wave off any attempt to board right? That would keep their records in tact.

Now the time listed on the metocean thing is 11:00 (12-12-07) How can this be, as its only 8:52 AM in Cape Town? Also now it says AST, not ADT. (sorry, cant figure out how to post the screen shot) Someone is smoking too much weed at mission control.

Ahh... The last resort strategy of someone who has lost some perceived battle... If you can't win the argument on it's merits...

Hurl groundless personal attacks at your opponent to obfuscate the argument... Genius. You have everyone here baffled and no one will spot it. Genius.

This doesn't deserve further response. Please don't feed the troll and it will go somewhere else to feed :P

Ahh... The last resort strategy of someone who has lost some perceived battle... If you can't win the argument on it's merits...

Hurl groundless personal attacks at your opponent to obfuscate the argument... Genius. You have everyone here baffled and no one will spot it. Genius.

This doesn't deserve further response. Please don't feed the troll and it will go somewhere else to feed :P

I still believe you are overeacting but time will tell and if you are right then I guess no harm done. If you are wrong ?

Ref that last pic, if it is genuine then they are in some pretty heavy seas. Have a look at the height of the water to the right (off the port stern quarter). If that's not distortion then a pretty decent lump of H20 has just passed under them.

Time on the google map is a touch weird though as Mary has noted. Its now 0930ADT (0830AST) on the 12th yet the time says 1100.

Loss of the rig is to my mind more of a possibiliity than a catastophic hull failure.

It is now 4:16 AST time here where I live. When the AST or ADT time was posted they were about 7 hours ahead of the time. I think they might be getting forward or backwards mixed up. Clover sprouts can do that. BTW, sprouts are an excellent source of protein. (true)

Anyhoo, its all awfully confusing. If there is a reasonable explanation, please advise. I am kind of a math gal and this is hurting my head.

Sailflat - a question: Why are you so wrapped up in the idea of their "rescue?" You assume there is an emergency simply because they are not communicating once again. You assume the "mission control" people are "interfering" with something you have been asked to do by someone who says he or she is "concerned" and tells you tales of the "disharmony" at "mission control." You assume some terrible thing has happened but you have no facts upon which to base the assumption other than somebody has asked you to do something. You assume her parents are either part of the conspiracy, are so disinteressted as to be clueless or are being held incommunicado. You assume a lot upon which you would ask a SAR organization to launch a search and rescue mission. Adding to your assumptions is that you ignore they have a satellite phone, two epirbs and a crew on the beach who says they are in contact with the boat.

I assume you know a SAR organization is going to do nothing on that kind of information from such a source. I assume you have thought through the kinds of questions you'd be asked and the paucity of your response. In other words, I assume you well know that nothing really would come of some person calling a coast guard half way around the world to say "ship might have sunk." Look how many false alarms the coast guard here gets from dopes with handhelds pretending to be vessels in distress.

So - I wonder what's up? Why you are so intent on stirring things up when, clearly nothing can come of it. The best you could hope for is to give 1000 days "sailors" and crew an excuse for ending the "odyssey". Why would you not simply tell whoever it is who's asking you to keep the secret but to call out the Guard to call his or herself? Or call Soanya's or Reid's parents?

I hope you'll understand and, with everyone else, will forgive my cynicism if I'm wrong. But I don't believe you for a minute. I think I understand what you're doing but that's really not important. Helll - if I was REALLY cynical, I'd say you are the reincarnation of a couple of guys who enjoyed stirring the pot here in their idea of "anarchy" just to see what would happen. Or, of course, it could be simply you tend toward hysterics.

This thread is about watching and commenting in a virtual world. If you really believe what you're saying, call the local coast guard, tell them what you think and ask them - as professionals - for advice about what to do. Until you've done that and, at least, have seriously considered the advice, I'm thinking you are doing nothing more than creating entertainment from a stage you enjoy.

"It's been difficult for me to do very much these past few days, including get the blog off every day. If you don't see something from us, it's probably just too rough to get on the computer, but our track on our website is always moving along the map."

Maybe thats all it is and since they said it and then did it or as it were did nothing should anyone worry?

What is unique visitors? The rest I understand but unique?

A unique visitor is someone who comes back to the site more than once. For instance, if you go to xyz.com 15 times in a month they count you as a single unique visitor vs 15 completely different people (total visitors) landing on that site in a month.

Total visitors is a FAR better measure of overall site traffic than unique visitors as it measures new visitors vs. repeat visitors (unique visitors). However, as a blog site uniques tells you how many of the same people come back. Which according to the above link is not a lot!

Uniques is also very different from total hits. Total hits is merely an indiaction of the number of times a particular page is opened by anybody. You could come to the home page and leave and be counted as a hit.

Are they still afloat?

Am I missing something vital here?

If this is them:

https://vms.metocean.com/daysatsea/display_...date=2007-12-13

They seem to be reporting as well as ever.

Maybe they figured out their "shore team" is stealing all their donations (all $8.00) and are pissed off and won't talk to them anymore :unsure:

Can you email the tracker directly? I think you can. Why just send them an email and see what they say?

BTW, does anyone but us even care about them anymore? We may be their total audience!

A unique visitor is someone who comes back to the site more than once. For instance, if you go to xyz.com 15 times in a month they count you as a single unique visitor vs 15 completely different people (total visitors) landing on that site in a month.

Total visitors is a FAR better measure of overall site traffic than unique visitors as it measures new visitors vs. repeat visitors (unique visitors). However, as a blog site uniques tells you how many of the same people come back. Which according to the above link is not a lot!

Uniques is also very different from total hits. Total hits is merely an indiaction of the number of times a particular page is opened by anybody. You could come to the home page and leave and be counted as a hit.

Are they still afloat?

Thanks for the explanation...I looked and looked and couldn't find what it meant.

Are they still afloat? More accurately, did they ever really go where they claimed?

Those that aren't posting are too deeply concerened about their welfare that they are speechless.

Bullshit. These two ill prepared idiots are entertainment to the vast majority of us. It's like the moron that jumps into the polar bear exhibit at the zoo. You know the outcome is going to be bad, but millions tune in all the same. Yes, it's disgusting, but that's human nature for you.

I will reveal details when I am certain that there will be no more interference from the Reid Hovians.

You need to take a damn pill. Reid has all the equipment he needs to transmit if he's in distress. That responsibility lies with him, not with a bunch of armchair sailors over-analyzing blog entries and tracker data. If you have concrete information from the boat that they are indeed in danger, then you need to pony that up and post it. And I'm not talking about second hand info from some 'tard in Jersey. I'm talking about real info from the boat that they are in grave danger.

Do we really need to go over Securite, Pan Pan, Mayday, and what these terms actually mean to SAR?

Nobody wants to see anyone die a preventable death, but this situation is not in the hands of a bunch of idiots who call themselves "Anarchists" and refer to their adversaries as "Hovians".

Bullshit. These two ill prepared idiots are entertainment to the vast majority of us. It's like the moron that jumps into the polar bear exhibit at the zoo. You know the outcome is going to be bad, but millions tune in all the same. Yes, it's disgusting, but that's human nature for you.

You need to take a damn pill. Reid has all the equipment he needs to transmit if he's in distress. That responsibility lies with him, not with a bunch of armchair sailors over-analyzing blog entries and tracker data. If you have concrete information from the boat that they are indeed in danger, then you need to pony that up and post it. And I'm not talking about second hand info from some 'tard in Jersey. I'm talking about real info from the boat that they are in grave danger.

Do we really need to go over Securite, Pan Pan, Mayday, and what these terms actually mean to SAR?

Nobody wants to see anyone die a preventable death, but this situation is not in the hands of a bunch of idiots who call themselves "Anarchists" and refer to their adversaries as "Hovians".

Right on. This thread was hilarious when it began and it seems it's drifting into the pathetic.

I hope nobody got deviated hundreds of nm over two idiots not blogging for 3 days.

BTW, the .net site just posted that they talked to them and they are fine.

The Truth About Lemmings ----

From Wikipedia

While many people believe that lemmings commit mass suicide when they migrate, this is not the case. Driven by strong biological urges, they will migrate in large groups when population density becomes too great. Lemmings can and do swim and may choose to cross a body of water in search of a new habitat[5]. On occasion, and particularly in the case of the Norway lemmings in Scandinavia, large migrating groups will reach a cliff overlooking the ocean. They will stop until the urge to press on causes them to jump off the cliff and start swimming, sometimes to exhaustion and death. Lemmings are also often pushed into the sea as more and more lemmings arrive at the shore. [6]

The myth of lemming mass suicide is long-standing and has been popularized by a number of factors. In 1955, Carl Barks drew an Uncle Scrooge adventure comic with the title: The Lemming with the Locket. This comic, which was inspired by a 1954 National Geographic article, showed massive numbers of lemmings jumping over Norwegian cliffs.[7]. The suicide myth was further propagated by Walt Disney documentary White Wilderness in 1958 which includes footage of lemmings migrating and running head-long over a ledge. An investigation in 1983 by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Brian Vallee, showed that the Disney film makers faked the entire sequence using imported lemmings (bought from Inuit children), a snow covered turntable on which a few dozen lemmings were forced to run, and literally throwing lemmings into the sea to show the alleged suicides.[8] This myth is also witnessed in a German film - The Little Polar Bear (lars, the polar bear)--in which a group of despondent lemmings are frequently jumping off various ledges.[9]

Lemmings? Drowning? Snow covered turntables set by Disney people?

The parallels to this thread are indeed uncanny.

Coincidence?

Lemmings_20_28Fortean_20Times_29_small.jpg

Right on. This thread was hilarious when it began and it seems it's drifting into the pathetic.

I hope nobody got deviated hundreds of nm over two idiots not blogging for 3 days.

BTW, the .net site just posted that they talked to them and they are fine.

Was there a little note to say that it was posted to stop the SA worriers calling in the Thunderbird rescue team? :lol::lol:

Can you just imagine how that conversation is going to go with South African's SAR services? Who wants to give odds on whether they laugh at SF or just hang up on him?

Some of you clearly need to step away from your PCs a bit more.

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round....

GO WALK YOUR DOG! Poor thing....

While I think it is obvious to all this is a slow-motion suicide, there is nothing that I can see in PUBLIC sources that would indicate they are in acute distress (ie they aren't any more fucked up than normal) right NOW.

Sailflat seems to get private info - from who or what we don't know. I do know that it is easy to lose track of shoreside time when at sea dealing with issues. My parents once called a SAR mission on me when I was busy and tired in a storm and missed a scheduled call. I honestly thought it was still the day before when I finally got a phonepatch home and got bitched out and then had to call the USCG and tell them to ignore my worried mother.

Perhaps SF will amplify on what he knows and this will make more sense.

Perhaps the Hovians are gaming him for money.

Perhaps I should ignore all this, but I can't look away :o

My .02 for a few.

I woke up smelling popcorn but something tells me that it has been very stagnant on the Hovian side of things for a while. A bunch of posters have been like those goth vampires. (F.Y.I.=Some high school tribes that believe drinking the leaders blood makes you a vampire. But really he is mixing his blood with Heroin to get you addicted and you think it is his blood that makes you feel better.) This smells like they have run out of money for Mojitos. By staying silent they have brought more attention to themselves than they have gotten in months.

I am sure a few people on here watch Everest on Discovery Channel. Not for the ones that do it safest and most prepared. You watch it for the life endangering biker with no regard for safety. You know he is a real dick....I mean person but you feel emotionally separated and are looking for him to freeze to death so you can spit morsels of fiddle faddle out of your mouth saying "I told you so...now lets get naked.".

I do not know Ried but if I met him before his voyage I probably would have hated him then. I do believe that at some point people have to atone for the way they have chosen to live their lives. If that is the case he is in trouble. I spoke with a friend at NASA and Reid was told that they have been doing an experiment for DECADES! They cant talk about it or release it because there is another Moon race going on privately and the only reason he could tell me that is because of another TV show on History channel.

The ONLY way Reid is going to receive any credit is by our outcry of attention. We have made this story more public in the past couple of months than they have been able to in years. He is a master manipulator and will use us in any way possible.

From the latest picture post:

"This photo is entitled sea serpent and in all likelihood depicts Reid on the bow in the process of removing the sculpture from the bowsprit."

The bow is the pointy end, right? And there's been no bowsprit for a while.

I say this onlly for the benefit of mission control - now that you have a break in the hectic day-to-day work of controlling this "mission", read some of what has gone on before. You'll find the answer to the "sea serpent" picture as well as to whether or not he's at the bow of the boat.

Fair and Honest here again...just a couple comments. 1. Thank you to aseawolf for your thoughtful and intelligent response to my post ("Hey fairandhonest go fuck yourself") and to JPlanet who wished I spend my time on Damage Control (News flash for ya, there is no damage, it's all Sailflat hype), and to elle who responds to me with ("dear FuckwitandFullofshit") I say thank you to your parents for their parenting skills! I am sure they are proud of you.

2. Re: Sailflat's post ("dammit... did no one notice that the beacon shut down about 5 hours ago!!

Making the call! ") and ("The wheels are off the bus

I will reveal details when I am certain that there will be no more interference from the Reid Hovians"). Well, well...I and the rest of us await info from Sailflat as to what the SAR said when he called them. He did call them right. He said he did. Go ahead Sailflat fill us in. What did they say? When will the fly over occur?

Or maybe yout tagline on your messages say it all..."Chaos! Panic! Debauchery! My work here is done". Quite intospective!

To RobinCrusoe: You are on the right track.

To oldsailor re: 'THE CALL' Asking Sailflat- "Did you get any response to your call??? " I say good question.

To Shife: re: "You need to take a damn pill" sent to Sailflat, I say good suggestion.

Seeing as you are a newb who posts no place but here in this topic the SA cred-o-meter is barely off of 0 for you.

Fair and Honest here again...just a couple comments. 1. Thank you to aseawolf for your thoughtful and intelligent response to my post ("Hey fairandhonest go fuck yourself") and to JPlanet who wished I spend my time on Damage Control (News flash for ya, there is no damage, it's all Sailflat hype), and to elle who responds to me with ("dear FuckwitandFullofshit") I say thank you to your parents for their parenting skills! I am sure they are proud of you.

2. Re: Sailflat's post ("dammit... did no one notice that the beacon shut down about 5 hours ago!!

I will reveal details when I am certain that there will be no more interference from the Reid Hovians"). Well, well...I and the rest of us await info from Sailflat as to what the SAR said when he called them. He did call them right. He said he did. Go ahead Sailflat fill us in. What did they say? When will the fly over occur?

Or maybe yout tagline on your messages say it all..."Chaos! Panic! Debauchery! My work here is done". Quite intospective!

To oldsailor re: 'THE CALL' Asking Sailflat- "Did you get any response to your call??? " I say good question.

To Shife: re: "You need to take a damn pill" sent to Sailflat, I say good suggestion.

Can you just imagine how that conversation is going to go with South African's SAR services? Who wants to give odds on whether they laugh at SF or just hang up on him?

Some of you clearly need to step away from your PCs a bit more.

Amen, Mr. Meat. Guy hopes there are fines on those who call in unnecessary SARs like those levied against individuals who make frivolous 911 calls.

Your logic and ability to present a well thought out argument are apparent. Formal training in the classics, I assume.

2105103273_c0019174b4_o.jpg

EDIT - I'd appreciate being included in your next rant. I am the lemming - coo coo ca choo. Where they go, I go.

Gee - it seems like only yesterday I was wondering what happened to ole "sailfastandfree" and "Jesse" and Captain Lithium" and "Swan70"

I'm really glad to see ya'll are back and am especially glad to hear I'm "on the right track."

Newsflash from the courier and journal for dumbshits: You and your crowd are entertainment. This whole thing is virtual street "art" with Reid being the monkey tied to the organ being ground by Jesse and a couple others in the noisy background. The only person taking it seriously is Soanya and, possibly, Sailflat. Only Soanya is in mortal danger - Reid long since has meant nothing to anybody and will pass unnoticed - if they really are where they and you say they are. And I'm beginning to think they really are because it's beginning to dawn on me you people really are as stupid and self-centered as you appear. I first was of the mind nobody would be so stupid as to try a stunt like this with a boat like that. Even if it was brand new, no sane person would try to singlehand that sailplan on a tub like that in the southern ocean. And take with him a complete neophyte just because he wants somebody to play with from time to time? But from the silliness posted at the 1000 days site and you and your various incarnations saying bullshit here, I'm thinking maybe enough stupid did get together to congeal into idiocy.

Am I still on the right track, sport?

:lol: :lol: Thanks Robin! Brilliant!

The latest from the blog . . . sounds like Mission Control is telling us to fuck off and mind our own business. . .

Communication Concerns Surrounding Day 233

Wednesday, 12 December 2007

12/12/07

Reid and Soanya have not posted "Daily" logs since 12/8/07. This has generated concern from the community watching the 1000 Days at Sea (The Mars Ocean Odyssey).

Mission Control imagines some weather in the South Atlantic has prioritized sailing tasks and seasickness (Soanya) over laptop/satphone communication. This is similar to storm events Day 7/8/9 where silence ruled during a storm.

Sunday and Monday land calls to satphone went right to voicemail.

Tuesday 12/11/07 morning land call to satphone -- Soanya+Reid answered phone and confirmed they are fine.

Requests to restart reposting "Daily" logs has yet to happen. We are working with R+S to establish a better defined notification schedule so periods of communication gaps do not extend further then 3 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reid & Soanya appreciate your concern and wish to assure all of you that they are well, undaunted and are sailing on their 1000 Days Odyssey. They ask you to bear with them, and keep in mind that it is not always so easy for them to communicate with Mission Control, & that you shouldn't worry in the future should such a lapse in posts again occur. They are fine.

I think, if I am following this correctly, that someone told SF that this did not actually happen.

I tend to suspect a plot to get donations, but who knows :unsure:

The latest from the blog . . . sounds like Mission Control is telling us to fuck off and mind our own business. . .

Communication Concerns Surrounding Day 233

Wednesday, 12 December 2007

12/12/07

Reid and Soanya have not posted "Daily" logs since 12/8/07. This has generated concern from the community watching the 1000 Days at Sea (The Mars Ocean Odyssey).

Mission Control imagines some weather in the South Atlantic has prioritized sailing tasks and seasickness (Soanya) over laptop/satphone communication. This is similar to storm events Day 7/8/9 where silence ruled during a storm.

Sunday and Monday land calls to satphone went right to voicemail.

Tuesday 12/11/07 morning land call to satphone -- Soanya+Reid answered phone and confirmed they are fine.

Requests to restart reposting "Daily" logs has yet to happen. We are working with R+S to establish a better defined notification schedule so periods of communication gaps do not extend further then 3 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reid & Soanya appreciate your concern and wish to assure all of you that they are well, undaunted and are sailing on their 1000 Days Odyssey. They ask you to bear with them, and keep in mind that it is not always so easy for them to communicate with Mission Control, & that you shouldn't worry in the future should such a lapse in posts again occur. They are fine.

Allrighty... Just spoke with the search people and here is the deal.

Please be patient!!! We are used to instant gratification here in the US and that is not the expectation in other countries... They will contact me with an update when/if they hear anything.

I spoke with the OOD and he told me:

They had a meeting about the situation...

Checked what assets they have in the area...

Tried to contact the vessel by radio and by satphone...

Sent out a request to anyone in the area to check on them...

no one near by to check... not surprising, scow is no where near the shipping lanes..

Sent out a warning asking if anyone sees them to have them call in...

Generally they only regularly patrol by air within 20 miles of the coast line...

If for some reason they send a plane out to check on Delta Dore they will see if they can see the scow...

The beacon is working again which is a good thing as far as they are concerned... they can monitor it and if it drifts close to traffic they will send a patrol out to visit. At this time... It looks like a vessel adrift without a crew and with a tracking beacon.

They thanked me for making the report.

I am fully satisfied with the outcome so far... About what I had expected. They are primarily concerned with commercial shipping which would generally be near shore. Only a loon looking for a storm would be all the way out there. SAR doesn't have long range air assets of their own and their Air Force doesn't do regular patrols out there; Are they going to be patrolling for penguins smuggling heroin from Antarctica?

About the beacon: The beacon started transmitting again when it hit daylight. The thought is that it is in some kind of low power mode, transmitting when he has enough stored solar power... When I looked checked it at about 05:20 GMT the last report was from 00:59 GMT, 5 hours earlier. When I checked again when I was talking to the authorities 20 minutes later... At about 05:40 the beacon transmitted a position recorded at 03:06GMT. It seemed to either have been manually manipulated(not likely but possible) or... That would have been about 7:40 local time, it probably got enough charge to start transmitting.

Allrighty... Just spoke with the search people and here is the deal.

Please be patient!!! We are used to instant gratification here in the US and that is not the expectation in other countries... They will contact me with an update when/if they hear anything.

I spoke with the OOD and he told me:

They had a meeting about the situation...

Checked what assets they have in the area...

Tried to contact the vessel by radio and by satphone...

Sent out a request to anyone in the area to check on them...

no one near by to check... not surprising, scow is no where near the shipping lanes..

Sent out a warning asking if anyone sees them to have them call in...

Generally they only regularly patrol by air within 20 miles of the coast line...

If for some reason they send a plane out to check on Delta Dore they will see if they can see the scow...

The beacon is working again which is a good thing as far as they are concerned... they can monitor it and if it drifts close to traffic they will send a patrol out to visit. At this time... It looks like a vessel adrift without a crew and with a tracking beacon.

They thanked me for making the report.

I am fully satisfied with the outcome so far... About what I had expected. They are primarily concerned with commercial shipping which would generally be near shore. Only a loon looking for a storm would be all the way out there. SAR doesn't have long range air assets of their own and their Air Force doesn't do regular patrols out there; Are they going to be patrolling for penguins smuggling heroin from Antarctica?

About the beacon: The beacon started transmitting again when it hit daylight. The thought is that it is in some kind of low power mode, transmitting when he has enough stored solar power... When I looked checked it at about 05:20 GMT the last report was from 00:59 GMT, 5 hours earlier. When I checked again when I was talking to the authorities 20 minutes later... At about 05:40 the beacon transmitted a position recorded at 03:06GMT. It seemed to either have been manually manipulated(not likely but possible) or... That would have been about 7:40 local time, it probably got enough charge to start transmitting.

Alright-- what the fuck . . . none of this is making any sense . . . I can't be the only one confused here . . .

according to the Wednezdata, they are in fairly calm water and the boat is on a definite track toward the coast -- those pinpoints are very directional, indicating a boat sailing a definitive course.

The Hovians are telling us to fuck off and mind our own business, saying everything is fine -- do they not want people looking for them because then the gig will be up that it is just a beacon afloat while R & S sit on a beach somewhere and the Hovians try to collect more money?

Sailflat is coming back saying rescue personnel are not getting a response.

WTF!?!!! :blink::blink::blink:

I remember just a few years ago an innocent member shared a website with SA.... a mighty sound shook the ground and as the earth opened to reveal the pits of hell, members stared down and saw a Mac26x.

Now a scant few years later, yet another innocent has reopened hell and now we sight the bride of frankenstein, The Anne.

Guy, my favorite frenchman. How are you? How is Mrs. Mighetto? I still maintain that I was not hired by US Sailing to be a spy, nor was I Teeters lovechild.

If they require assistance let them request it.

Why waste the time of any maritime organization with concern for Weed at this juncture?

Relax and watch this tragicomedy unfold further as they commit to a circumnavigation rather than continuing to safely draw cartoon characters in the South Atlantic. They have chosen their peril.

I think, if I am following this correctly, that someone told SF that this did not actually happen.

I tend to suspect a plot to get donations, but who knows :unsure:

A call to metocean (yesterday 12/11/07) yielded a call from a hovian who spent about 90 minutes on the phone with an associate of mine. The hovain did say that they had spoke to R&S yesterday morning... And said that there would be an update from R&S that afternoon. That is why they posted that photo... But no text... If they can get on the phone to send a picture they sure as hell can get on the phone to call in or send a report. We have no reason to believe that the photo is real. It seems to have been a delaying tactic. Remember the description on the photo... Only just noticed that RobinCrusio? The description of the photo didn't match the photo. In the photo Reid is at the STERN not the BOW like it says on the photo. Perhaps one of them noticed that and is why they took it down. And anyone notice anything wrong with the current posting. They say that they spoke to R&S yesterday morning... That picture wasn't posted untill almost right after my associate got off the phone... Actually in response to the phone call. If they have the time/power to take a photo and send it in... It takes less time and power to send in less than 40 K of text through the metocean link... The photo would have had to come through the satphone... It would have taken about 1:40 of airtime to send it under ideal conditions. But they don't have ideal conditions do they... They have sat gear tweaked for the northern hemisphere and have been having data comm problems since going south of about 30.

Regardless... That is why I didn't make the call straight away... The hovians claimed that they had spoke and that a update was on the way. Gave them the benefit of the doubt, they didn't come through. Just like Reid they seem to have Zero credibility. Come on now... This is not difficult... It's not like they don't have a way to phone home! If they can send a picture they can send a text!

So you point out that the photo is likely fake and we send the hovians an email and post that unless there is a verifiable update I will call on the dogs... They put the photo back up...

Nothing more happens... The beacon stops sending for 5 hours... So I make the call. Don't know what anyone else would expect me to do.

For all you armchair critics out there:

I had a legal and moral obligation to make the call... Can you imagine it.. You thought that their might have been a problem but you didn't make a simple call about it? Notice the low standard there. If there was a lawsuit in the making don't you think that Saynara's parrents will be looking to collect wherever they can. Remember the windsurfer's widow that is suing a city because the city didn't warn him that he shouldn't windsurf in high winds?

Ever call a MRCC before? Know what that means? Have any idea how this works?

If it is found that they are in distress... Then I did the right thing. If they turn out not to be in distress... Well so what. The SAR people are professionals who do this every day. If they thought that the circumstances warrant doing something, which they did, I don't understand why you might have a problem with it. It's not as if we know that there is communication with Reid and I called it in anyway... And even if that was true.... Then Reid sure as hell should answer a phone call or email from the SAR people. Remember... SAR tried to contact them multiple ways and didn't get a response. If you got a call from the fire department asking if your house is on fire... Don't you think you would answer and say NO if you could.

Finally... Remember that I have a little more information about what is going on here than most of you.

If we get a genuine update from them today... Great.. I would like to see the farce continue. But at this point I doubt it.

Enough said

I remember just a few years ago an innocent member shared a website with SA.... a mighty sound shook the ground and as the earth opened to reveal the pits of hell, members stared down and saw a Mac26x.

Now a scant few years later, yet another innocent has reopened hell and now we sight the bride of frankenstein, The Anne.

Thank you Tripp Gal. That was brilliant and pretty much on point.

Reid & Soanya appreciate your concern .... bear with them, and keep in mind that it is not always so easy for them to communicate with Mission Control, & that you shouldn't worry in the future should such a lapse in posts again occur. They are fine.

That explains a lot, I'd let comms slide for a couple days until I had that situation under control.

2106009206_88dcc02e2c_o.jpg

Guy, my favorite frenchman. How are you? How is Mrs. Mighetto? I still maintain that I was not hired by US Sailing to be a spy, nor was I Teeters lovechild.

Ah mon ami! Guy is fine. Mrs. Frank is gone. The syndicate has collapsed. Guy is stuck here tending bar in a Valencia bordello. But, life could be worse, yes?

How is Mr. Frank. Tell him hello from Guy.

I still believe you are overeacting but time will tell and if you are right then I guess no harm done. If you are wrong ?

Ref that last pic, if it is genuine then they are in some pretty heavy seas. Have a look at the height of the water to the right (off the port stern quarter). If that's not distortion then a pretty decent lump of H20 has just passed under them.

Time on the google map is a touch weird though as Mary has noted. Its now 0930ADT (0830AST) on the 12th yet the time says 1100.

Loss of the rig is to my mind more of a possibiliity than a catastophic hull failure.

That is cool... You aren't obviously someone who just popped on to stir up shite. Do your worst. ;)

I am not sure about that picture at all. TCould be a wave but it is hard to really tell anything. Low res, background overexposed, foreground underexposed, bad lighting. Makes me wonder if there was even a human behind the lens. If not Sayanara could have hit the button till she got a better one. And come on... I was labeled Bow and clearly it is the stern.

That was one of the things mentioned in the phone call. I listened in after about 10 minutes in... Wish we had recorded it. But my point was... That Reid and the ground crew are their worst enemies... The send in blurry shots with "shore line" in the background. They erase embarrassing bits of Reid's posts. To clear things up all they would have to do are very simple things... Like post a genuine log entry or a clear photo. They could have cleared up the life raft and EPIRB controversy by taking a photo and sending it in. Instead they do more work that is less convincing than if they just posted the genuine article. Their idiocy just astounds me!

One more post and I am out of here.

A call to metocean (yesterday 12/11/07) yielded a call from a hovian who spent about 90 minutes on the phone with an associate of mine. The hovain did say that they had spoke to R&S yesterday morning... And said that there would be an update from R&S that afternoon. That is why they posted that photo... But no text... If they can get on the phone to send a picture they sure as hell can get on the phone to call in or send a report. We have no reason to believe that the photo is real. It seems to have been a delaying tactic. Remember the description on the photo... Only just noticed that RobinCrusio? The description of the photo didn't match the photo. In the photo Reid is at the STERN not the BOW like it says on the photo. Perhaps one of them noticed that and is why they took it down. And anyone notice anything wrong with the current posting. They say that they spoke to R&S yesterday morning... That picture wasn't posted untill almost right after my associate got off the phone... Actually in response to the phone call. If they have the time/power to take a photo and send it in... It takes less time and power to send in less than 40 K of text through the metocean link... The photo would have had to come through the satphone... It would have taken about 1:40 of airtime to send it under ideal conditions. But they don't have ideal conditions do they... They have sat gear tweaked for the northern hemisphere and have been having data comm problems since going south of about 30.

Regardless... That is why I didn't make the call straight away... The hovians claimed that they had spoke and that a update was on the way. Gave them the benefit of the doubt, they didn't come through. Just like Reid they seem to have Zero credibility. Come on now... This is not difficult... It's not like they don't have a way to phone home! If they can send a picture they can send a text!

So you point out that the photo is likely fake and we send the hovians an email and post that unless there is a verifiable update I will call on the dogs... They put the photo back up...

Nothing more happens... The beacon stops sending for 5 hours... So I make the call. Don't know what anyone else would expect me to do.

For all you armchair critics out there:

I had a legal and moral obligation to make the call... Can you imagine it.. You thought that their might have been a problem but you didn't make a simple call about it? Notice the low standard there. If there was a lawsuit in the making don't you think that Saynara's parrents will be looking to collect wherever they can. Remember the windsurfer's widow that is suing a city because the city didn't warn him that he shouldn't windsurf in high winds?

Ever call a MRCC before? Know what that means? Have any idea how this works?

If it is found that they are in distress... Then I did the right thing. If they turn out not to be in distress... Well so what. The SAR people are professionals who do this every day. If they thought that the circumstances warrant doing something, which they did, I don't understand why you might have a problem with it. It's not as if we know that there is communication with Reid and I called it in anyway... And even if that was true.... Then Reid sure as hell should answer a phone call or email from the SAR people. Remember... SAR tried to contact them multiple ways and didn't get a response. If you got a call from the fire department asking if your house is on fire... Don't you think you would answer and say NO if you could.

Finally... Remember that I have a little more information about what is going on here than most of you.

If we get a genuine update from them today... Great.. I would like to see the farce continue. But at this point I doubt it.

Enough said

You have no legal obligation to do anything. What do you base this "legal" obligation on? The blog writings or lack thereof from a couple of fruits? Reid has two epirbs, sat phone, radio communication equipment, and his own damn version of Mission Control. If he needs help he can ask for it. You are making wild paranoid guesses about a couple of freak show idiots.

They very well could be in trouble, but to base that assumption on pictures and blog writings is just as dangerous and irresponsible as Reid's silly voyage.

You have no legal obligation to do anything. What do you base this "legal" obligation on? The blog writings or lack thereof from a couple of fruits? Reid has two epirbs, sat phone, radio communication equipment, and his own damn version of Mission Control. If he needs help he can ask for it. You are making wild paranoid guesses about a couple of freak show idiots.

They very well could be in trouble, but to base that assumption on pictures and blog writings is just as dangerous and irresponsible as Reid's silly voyage.

No legal obligations indeed. Moral obligations? ... perhaps ... but not at this point:

I honestly do not think they are actually where they claim to be. Sailflat obviously thinks they are out there, and maybe he has more information than we do. Maybe mission control is doing irresponsible things. But then again, they seem to be afloat and if they fell overboard, they are death. No rescue possible.

Maybe I am all wrong and we owe an appology to Sailflat in a couple of days. Still, to me it seems absurd that this whole Weid-farce turns into an obligation on our side.

That explains a lot, I'd let comms slide for a couple days until I had that situation under control.

2106009206_88dcc02e2c_o.jpg

I always thought he might be Grizzly Man.

Now I know what happened to Reid...

post-12055-1197480534_thumb.jpg

The plants got him.

Dear Sailflat: No bashing this post, just a couple of questions. You and others infer that you have information available to you that others don't. Please let us know how that is? Who are you? What is your connection that gives you this info? ...And most important why is it that you have a legal responsibility? Reveal yourself.

This wasn't going to be my last post for the day... But starting to receive PMs about that legal obligation thing...

I am not "scared" by this concept, just a little bit concerned. I don't think that they are going to sue me for millions or anything... But they could try.

Their is a concept called "deep pockets" which means go after whomever has the deepest pockets regardless of their culpability. So if something happens to R and S there is the distinct possibility that Sayanara's parents for instance... Were to hire an attorney to dig for anyone they could possibly sue. Shure... There are people on the "ground crew" that more more culpable than I am but I still am worth going after.... They name a bunch of people in the complaint, ask for 1 million, and then go back to everyone to see what they can squeeze out. Regardless if I really should be involved or not, I would have to decide to defend or pay something like 15,000 to make them go away. If I do everything I can, I am fairly shielded from what has happened if the space ship goes down in flames.

Thank you...to JPlanet who wished I spend my time on Damage Control (News flash for ya, there is no damage, it's all Sailflat hype)...I say thank you to your parents for their parenting skills! I am sure they are proud of you.

It’s impossible for me to be insulted by somebody I don’t respect. Did I really need to spell it out for you? Your group’s scrambling to avert the call to SAR and divert attention from it is yet another example of the total lack of C-R-E-D-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y with this “mission”.

It will be amusing to see how “Mission Control” explains the lack of communication from R&S, and surely a mea culpa will be filtered into posts from the ship. That would be “damage control” to quickly convince uninformed supporters that “all is well, and keep those bucks a’coming, folks”. If a “blackout” was contrived to build a little more Southern Ocean drama into the script ~ then I hope you had the decency to forewarn Reid and Soanya’s families. Why do I see it as amusing? Because in my mind I picture a herd of bumbling, double-talking, buzzword-spewing, nervous junior exec-types calling meeting upon meeting to “brainstorm” ways of building media attention, and therefore supporter base dollars.

Countless times you have sidestepped answering honest and logical questions, both here and on the blog. Why no clear photographs from the ship for six weeks? Why do you ask for donations, but not provide a clear financial statement? You can’t seriously expect people to blindly contribute toward paying off “Reid Debt”. What exactly have been the scientific and educational contributions you trumpeted before departure?

You need to look ahead. Reid thinks he has a shot at establishing offshore sailing records? Hmmm…explain why there’s an apparent touch on the map of Africa that coincides with a 12-day gap in Metocean reports. You envision a fat payoff from a book, lecture tour, and the “compelling” onboard video ~ and your anticipated “agent fees”? That won’t play when you have a knowing group of experienced sailors that have time and time again seen through the smoke and mirrors you seemingly must create because you lack CREDIBILITY. Why don’t you have a “working lunch meeting” and discuss that?

Dear Sailflat: No bashing this post, just a couple of questions. You and others infer that you have information available to you that others don't. Please let us know how that is? Who are you? What is your connection that gives you this info? ...And most important why is it that you have a legal responsibility? Reveal yourself.

You have to be kidding... Right? :blink:

This wasn't going to be my last post for the day... But starting to receive PMs about that legal obligation thing...

I am not "scared" by this concept, just a little bit concerned. I don't think that they are going to sue me for millions or anything... But they could try.

Their is a concept called "deep pockets" which means go after whomever has the deepest pockets regardless of their culpability. So if something happens to R and S there is the distinct possibility that Sayanara's parents for instance... Were to hire an attorney to dig for anyone they could possibly sue. Shure... There are people on the "ground crew" that more more culpable than I am but I still am worth going after.... They name a bunch of people in the complaint, ask for 1 million, and then go back to everyone to see what they can squeeze out. Regardless if I really should be involved or not, I would have to decide to defend or pay something like 15,000 to make them go away. If I do everything I can, I am fairly shielded from what has happened if the space ship goes down in flames.

Go get a beer, relax, and forget about this fiasco for a while. Unless you're not telling us something, you have absolutely no connection to these idiots other than poking fun at them on da intarweb. You are culpable for nothing.

Sailflat: Instead of asking if I am kidding, why not actually answer the questions. Sidestepping?

Fairandhonest - instead of your nonsense, why not actually respond to some of the posts directed to you. And - reveal yourself. If you aren't Jesse / sailfastandfree / captlithium / swan70, who are you? What's your connection to anything involved here. And why do you want to know anything at all from Sailfast or anyone else at SA? Why is anything involved in this pretend nonsense of any importance to you?

WTF?

How do a bunch of random anonymous people on a website have a "Duty of Care" to rescue some suicidal fucktards that aren't even ASKING for help?

Either you are being WAY too serious or you know something we don't.

BTW, the CheeseScow has been behaving like an unmanned drifting wreck for over 200 days now :lol:

Ok... Here is that last post I was talking about.

My associate got a call from the hovians this morning. It seems that they have figured out some of the details about the SAR... So I will tell you about it... No need to keep it secret to keep them from messing with things.

We called the MRCC(Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Center) Capetown SA directly...

Spoke to Jacq Smith who was the OOD at the time and made the report. They asked a number of questions, took the info. Looked at the tracking web site, and were concerned enough to start a search.

When the hovians called they wanted to put my associate on a 3 way call with someone who they claimed was from SA. Presumably to fill him with FUD(fear, uncertainty, doubt) my associate didn't buy into that and called the MRCC back directly, which my associate said seemed to fluster the hovian a bit... Talked to XXXXXXX at the MRCC(sorry wont give hovians more ammunition) and the SAR person detailed what I passed on earlier.

That is all...

My associate got a call from the hovians this morning. It seems that they have figured out some of the details about the SAR... So I will tell you about it... No need to keep it secret to keep them from messing with things.

We called the MRCC(Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Center) Capetown SA directly...

Spoke to Jacq Smith who was the OOD at the time and made the report. They asked a number of questions, took the info. Looked at the tracking web site, and were concerned enough to start a search.

When the hovians called they wanted to put my associate on a 3 way call with someone who they claimed was from SA. Presumably to fill him with FUD(fear, uncertainty, doubt) my associate didn't buy into that and called the MRCC back directly, which my associate said seemed to fluster the hovian a bit... Talked to XXXXXXX at the MRCC(sorry wont give hovians more ammunition) and the SAR person detailed what I passed on earlier.

That is all...

English is my first language, and I can't even understand what you just said.

That is all...

This deserves a THIS IS TOTALLY FUCKING RIDICULOUS

as well as a

YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP!

That is all...

I'm beginning to feel a moral and legal responsibility to send an ambulance and straitjacket to your house immediately.

You have to be kidding... Right? :blink:

Seems to me that you've seen too much bad television. How the hell does an annonymus poster in cyberspace on a "flamer" message board have any cupability to any situation that you're not connected to other than casual observation? If you think this is bullshit, then why wouldnt anyone who watched a live news report on a lost mountain climber be cupable? To me, this is what you insinuate.

Sailflat needs to take a chill pill and let the "hovians" and the "southern ocean let's paint a picture of a heart explorers" work all of this out.

Btw, the only way you'd be cupable is if you're part of the crew or support crew............dumbass

That is all...

second thought, now that you've got yourself so heavily involved in this, maybe you are cupable, but my guess is "you cant get blood out of a rock"

WTF?

How do a bunch of random anonymous people on a website have a "Duty of Care" to rescue some suicidal fucktards that aren't even ASKING for help?

Either you are being WAY too serious or you know something we don't.

BTW, the CheeseScow has been behaving like an unmanned drifing wreck for over 200 days now :lol:

If a subpoena hits Scots door do you really think we are anonymous? Are file sharers anonymous?

There is at least one hovian that is more sue crazy than the others. Who knows what they might do to deflect the shit when things go tits up. Look at Lith, FairanHonest, Oberon(sue crazy hovian)... Like I said.. Not a huge concern, or a big part of why I made the call, but doesn't cost anything to cover my butt.

The only real "Duty of Care" I have here is to myself and my insurance company. But I still want to cover my butt. Ever waste months of time and thousands of doallars in a frivolous lawsuit? Makes you a bit more aware of things.

If a subpoena hits Scots door do you really think we are anonymous? Are file sharers anonymous?

There is at least one hovian that is more sue crazy than the others. Who knows what they might do to deflect the shit when things go tits up. Look at Lith, FairanHonest, Oberon(sue crazy hovian)... Like I said.. Not a huge concern, or a big part of why I made the call, but doesn't cost anything to cover my butt.

The only real "Duty of Care" I have here is to myself and my insurance company. But I still want to cover my butt. Ever waste months of time and thousands of doallars in a frivolous lawsuit? Makes you a bit more aware of things.

Get a clue dude, you aint that fuckin important.

Mate, you've lost it. Far more intelligent and better financed folks have threatened to sue this place. Still waiting for those subpoenas.

Sailflat: Instead of asking if I am kidding, why not actually answer the questions. Sidestepping?

Happy to help out. Here's the information:

1) 75 Watt

2) Lemon Scented

3) Poncho Villa

4) Sans Sarif

5) 1.5 hours at 350

6) Windsor Knot

7) 106 for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1942

8) Conjunctive Verb

9) Incus or Anvil

10) Fuck Off

Hope this helps.

I'm beginning to feel a moral and legal responsibility to send an ambulance and straitjacket to your house immediately.

Nice...

I suppose that wasn't too clear. I was trying to write that while I switching back and forth among half a dozen different PMs and taking a phone call.

The point was that the SAR station called last night was the MRCC in Cape Town SA... People have been asking me... Please don't bother them with calls.

And to lend a little more credibility to the story... People have been asking if I really did it.

and that the Hovians have called twice now.

Better?

OK ok! I can see where you come from... sort of.

Now, you have made the necessary calls. The authorities have been warned by you. The Hovians try to stop them. I am thinking that regardless of all that they will not send out a rescue team unless they get more information.

So, I seriously want to suggest you take a break and check back in here a couple of days from now. If anyone is acting irresponsible it is the Hovians and Reid.

I cannot believe I am actually writing this, but here we go: pretty much everyone here has predicted disaster and warned them not to go south. Only through some kind of reverse psychology could we be held culpable for anything that happens to them.

Whatever floats your boat (pun intended)

But - who are the "hovians" calling you? Obviously that's no secret, right? And WHY are they calling you? You did ask, right? And I assume they didn't say something like, "we want to interfere with your work."

the outfit you're talking to is Africa is SAMSA - right? Capetown branch? 19th Floor 2 Long Street Cape Town 8001

Private Bag X 7025 Rogge Bay 8012

Tel: +27 (0) 21 421 6170

Fax: +27 (0) 21 419 0730

Just wondering

Oh - and while you worry about lawsuits (and apparently have been involved in some "frivolous" ones) ask your lawyer to explain the duty and liability of a "good samaritan" who happens on the scene and starts doing things voluntarily. Ignoring your decision to get involved, if your idea of potential liability had ANY basis, then that would be the end of things like stock car racing, roller skating or swimming in places there might be big fish with teeth. Who would go to such places if they could be sued for not, for example, pulling the foolish swimmer from the water. Imagine the lawsuit - swimmer eaten by shark, bystander sued for not dragging swimmer from water before shark got there. Or, girl, 9, broke leg on skate board. Man walking by sued for not taking board away from child.

Nice...

I suppose that wasn't too clear. I was trying to write that while I switching back and forth among half a dozen different PMs and taking a phone call.

The point was that the SAR station called last night was the MRCC in Cape Town SA... People have been asking me... Please don't bother them with calls.

And to lend a little more credibility to the story... People have been asking if I really did it.

and that the Hovians have called twice now.

Better?

you're becoming a "crank" at an exceedingly alarming rate and you're losing your credibility faster than that POS Anne would sink to the ocean floor, you need to take a back seat dude.

I have been involved many times with the USCG in SARs and i'm tell you straight up right now, if you called them and they asked for your "connection to this matter " and you told them "oh, i'm a flamer on an internet message board and i'm just concerned", they'd hang the fuckin phone up so quick on your lame nonconnected ass, you'd need an ENT doctor to remove the "click" from your ear