Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

I'm surprised our fairer SA members have not pointed out the obvious end to this game - two words:

YEAST INFECTION....

Once her 40's are a roaring, it's game over....

One word.

Weber's...........

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regatta Dog

• JPlanet

• awolf209

• billy backstay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't heard of this type of cruise before, if it is in real then i would like to go for it. It will be very adventurous and even i want to know that how this experience will be, I have some friend

Why is it that you demand that other people prove their assertions to your satisfaction while you spout oft bizarre theories that utterly defy reason and expect to be taken seriously?.   Stowe isn't

Translation ... "Sorry dude, no names and/or locations because I made it all up."   Reality ... Reid "supporters" rise up in direct opposition of "rabidity" of Reid bashers.   For instance, look a

Posted Images

post-19544-1188925222_thumb.jpg

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Self-Portrait Praying in Oak

This carving is a self-portrait of myself as a young bearded merman praying carved in oak that my father scrounged up for us. The idea was that I sail looking forward, part man, part mythical sea creature, ...

merMAN , pop..!<cough cough>

zoolandermerman.jpg

Got em on the race car and in the Alfa but I'm not seeing the connection..??

60020_lg_1.jpg

74 Spider.... Blueprinted motor, 10.4 Mahle pistons, race cams, pulled the old SPICA FI and put the Web's on (40 DCOE's). Facking thing screamed up to 8k and was still pulling but we kinda thought it best to not run it higher lest it go boom.... Never dino'd but my guess is 170bhp range - facking thing is fast.... My 87 Spider was looked at but CA emissions would not have been happy with the missing Bosch FI....

I actually got what you said, after I posted. Roaring 40's - duh....

OK, Sailors, here's you chance to be an integral part of this fantastic voyage...the voyage to the bottom of the sea. On his 9/8 posts he's made an open request for info on how to cut/rework his sails. Now's your chance tototally confuse the crap out of him! :lol:

Sad about the baby giant squid. Fortunately it escaped. For those that wonder if anything but man thinks and communicates, there you go! What a great experience! :wub:

• Downvote 1

"September 8, 2007

Day 139

Cheese at the Top of Our Food Pyramid

Wind E 5-8 knots

Course NE, Speed 2 knots, Position: 01° 45 S, 02° 20 W

Here at sea Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is at the top of our food pyramid. We eat mostly beans, rice, pasta, oats, and grains, and the finest cheese compliments all of our dishes. With many of the items that we needed for the voyage, we targeted the best. Often, it doesn't happen, but when it does, it is treasured and well used. Some people have asked, “Why did it take so long for you to depart on the 1000 Day voyage?” I have said, “We had help, but it was never enough. We were always left lacking in skilled help and the things that were donated to us.” This went on for years while I worked and stockpiled our food. It wasn't that way with Parmigiano Reggiano. We humbly asked for some and they gave us a lot, which we ate on our test voyages, and when we ran out, I said we needed more and they were right there for us, believing in us, and helping along the way. I've come to consider myself very lucky that Parmigiano Reggiano has become an important and delicious part of our lives. We may be eating very basic, but when we eat Parmigiano Reggiano we are eating deluxe. I'm not talking about just any kind of grated cheese. I'm talking about what's known as the historically best cheese in the world. It's made in the finest way, is the most healthy, lasts forever, and little bit goes a long way flavor-wise. When Soanya and I finish the Mars Ocean Odyssey, we expect to participate in preparing astronauts to go into space for an extended period of time. After we've done some training, they will demand Parmigiano Reggiano cheese along with their packaged food."

Yep, I'm sure NASA is eagerly awaiting Reid's input on provisioning deep space travel and training astronauts. Maybe a 2020 mission to do heart shaped patterns around Mars?

I always had a gut feeling that the real hero of this mis-adventure was going to be their silent third crew member, the cheese. I am hoping that someone had the fore sight to donate and attach a personal EPIRB to it so as to assist in it's rescue should the need arise. It would be a shame if it was lost forever.

In fact, I can envision it displayed prominately on a marble pedestal in a maritime museum, right next to Mr. Barnes Pop Tarts..............

• Downvote 1
how sweet, now they're both playing dress up. guess its scientific research.

Every time I check this forum and there's a new picture, or new update, or new information about the journey, my flesh crawls . . . this freakin' Thurston Howell dressing mo' fo' skeeves the holy hell outta me . . . . it really is a car crash/train wreck that you don't want to see but you can't not look . . .

Edited by the_chick_on_the_boat

reid seems to begin one repair after another and complete none of them. i had quite a bit of concern for soanya when this voyage began, but she has proved to be an utter disappointment when it comes to contribute anything of value. i don't understand why she can't at least participate in some of the smaller repairs, ie stitching sails for example..

she seems content to cheerlead her guru and leave it at that. the cockpit combing pulling loose from the stress of the sheet winch and she had not even noticed? all photos appear to be designed as to avoid showing the actual job in progress; no, you can't see the hull cracking up or foredeck lifting or the tattered sails; yet when its an ivy plant or a block of cheese...

it really is interesting that they haven't seen anything over 20 knots since thier departure and i agree with amolitor that the first small gale will spell disaster. since the heart shape course has been abandoned, it does appear they have embraced that graffiti penis prophetically posted by roy race on page six of this trainwreck!

What really pissed me off is that every time I go out, I rarely see anything UNDER 20 TWS :( This facker goes out and gets days of perfect beer weather..

How many of you guessed in the beginning that they would be afloat after 140 days (14% of their goal)? I know I lost that bet.

I just read more in the Wiki, and it says that he built this boat. I didn't look much at this to begin with because it sounded like the guy was a total crackpot, and didn't know squat about boats. His experience with boats is heavier than I first thought. But he still fits the definition of crackpot!

"September 8, 2007

Day 139

Cheese at the Top of Our Food Pyramid

Wind E 5-8 knots

Course NE, Speed 2 knots, Position: 01° 45 S, 02° 20 W

Here at sea Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is at the top of our food pyramid. We eat mostly beans, rice, pasta, oats, and grains, and the finest cheese compliments all of our dishes. With many of the items that we needed for the voyage, we targeted the best. Often, it doesn't happen, but when it does, it is treasured and well used. Some people have asked, “Why did it take so long for you to depart on the 1000 Day voyage?” I have said, “We had help, but it was never enough. We were always left lacking in skilled help and the things that were donated to us.” This went on for years while I worked and stockpiled our food. It wasn't that way with Parmigiano Reggiano. We humbly asked for some and they gave us a lot, which we ate on our test voyages, and when we ran out, I said we needed more and they were right there for us, believing in us, and helping along the way. I've come to consider myself very lucky that Parmigiano Reggiano has become an important and delicious part of our lives. We may be eating very basic, but when we eat Parmigiano Reggiano we are eating deluxe. I'm not talking about just any kind of grated cheese. I'm talking about what's known as the historically best cheese in the world. It's made in the finest way, is the most healthy, lasts forever, and little bit goes a long way flavor-wise. When Soanya and I finish the Mars Ocean Odyssey, we expect to participate in preparing astronauts to go into space for an extended period of time. After we've done some training, they will demand Parmigiano Reggiano cheese along with their packaged food."

Yep, I'm sure NASA is eagerly awaiting Reid's input on provisioning deep space travel and training astronauts. Maybe a 2020 mission to do heart shaped patterns around Mars?

I was laughing so hard when I read that post on the 1000 Days at Sea site that I almost peed my pants! I knew the CHEESE would get its own post- just like the sprouts! (I still want Reid to devote a post to the aluminum shovel...) Oh, woe is Reid, once again whining that not enough people helped him or gave him money. ASTRONAUT TRAINING?!? Hahahahaha.... There is his delusions on grandeur again. With his mental health and bad credit, no government agency is going to give his sorry ass a security clearance. Do you think astronauts will actually demand CHEESE with their pre-packaged food?

Chris :)

Not just cheese, but Parmigiano Reggiano cheese! I would have thought that Velveeta or Cheese Wiz would have so much preservative that it could outlast Reid.

Pehaps, but you see, the good people at Kraft foods, for reasons understood only by themselves, failed to step up to the plate and donate anything to the gallant voyage, their loss.

Imagine the impact on sales and distribution that Reid's testimonial could have had on America's favorite cheese food products.

Imagine Cheez Whiz in space !

When Soanya and I finish the Mars Ocean Odyssey, we expect to participate in preparing astronauts to go into space for an extended period of time. After we've done some training, they will demand Cheez-Whiz® along with their packaged food.
What really pissed me off is that every time I go out, I rarely see anything UNDER 20 TWS :( This facker goes out and gets days of perfect beer weather..

on the snout @ that ,

or , zip 'n the iron jib

I'm curious to know just how far back the Reid debt part of his solicitation for donations goes? His first wedding? Debts left behind in the Carribean when he was hanging out with his best friend, Jimmy Buffett? His Turtle expedition? 1962? Guy's a frigging sponge.

Please, do the world a favor and

S

I

N

K

And Soyana, the helpless damsel in distress, has the IQ of a sprout.

What a pair! :wacko:

• Downvote 1

This whole thing somewhat paralells the Christopher McCandless story, now glorified by Sean Penn in the recent book made film Into the Wild.

People praised and continue to praise McCandless for his "spirit" and "courage" to live the way he did. Yet, experinced Alaskan woodsman (those who respect the wilderness and mother nautre) thought/think otherwise. This 1000 days debacle is no different, as supported by those in the know (i.e those who have been shit-kicked in a blow) who post here.

Just my 2 cent rant after reading about the movie release. I guess the one major difference is that McCandless never sought fame whereas Stowe craves it.

Not just cheese, but Parmigiano Reggiano cheese! I would have thought that Velveeta or Cheese Wiz would have so much preservative that it could outlast Reid.

I wonder if Cheez Wiz can be used as a sikaflex or epoxy substitute in a bind. You know, like if you were to find ourself in the middle of the ocean with a leaky hull or disel tank....

I wonder if Cheez Wiz can be used as a sikaflex or epoxy substitute in a bind. You know, like if you were to find ourself in the middle of the ocean with a leaky hull or disel tank....

No, but I got some sticky goo that you can play with.

There is a major difference between the minds of Ried Stowe and Chris McClandless. McCandless had always had the reputation of giving. He never lived off of the charity of others and sought to provide for himself. While utterly unprepared and highly delusional he is not Reid Stowe.

Reid is a different animal. Completely. He takes delusional to epic levels.

This trip has the makings of a horrific tragedy. Someone is going to be seriously hurt or killed on this trip as a result of his stupidity. Wait until Soanya goes septic after Reid mistakes a burst appendix as "oh just some whimsey stomach pains from an overindulgence of rainbows and cheese." I truly am shocked that Reid's sycophants would allow him to take along such an inexperienced person with him. His words on his website border on sophmoric...I honestly think he is intergalacticly lucky that he is not dead. There is the southern ocean though.

Romantic? Bullshit.

This just bothers the hell out of me.

Okay, god help me, I actually just went to Reid's website. Not the 100days one, but his personal web site. It is just as disconcerting as everything else surrounding this journey.

Here is a picture of one of his pieces of sculpture. WTF? It looks like a man trying to give birth, or take a serious backed-up dump, with a seriously infected toe, but then there is something laying down the middle of him that could be a woman down on him, or something. . . . anybody???

post-5575-1189615372.jpg

Except that he doesn't have Cheez Wiz, he has Parmigiano Reggiano. By the way, is there even any provisioning for some kind of actual diet? All I keep hearing about is the cheese and the sprouts. I would think they would start falling over from vitamin deficiencies if not outright starvation. I guess the question I should really ask, is what is the proper way to provision for a long term voyage?

Okay, god help me, I actually just went to Reid's website. Not the 100days one, but his personal web site. It is just as disconcerting as everything else surrounding this journey.

Here is a picture of one of his pieces of sculpture. WTF? It looks like a man trying to give birth, or take a serious backed-up dump, with a seriously infected toe, but then there is something laying down the middle of him that could be a woman down on him, or something. . . . anybody???

It's a self portrait of him trying to suck his own dick.

It's a self portrait of him trying to suck his own dick.

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner!!

Too funny!!

Oh, and for those of you that care (and I don't know want to know who you are) . . .

more than you ever wanted to know about parmesan oops -- I mean Parmigiano-Reggiano: The "King" of Cheeses is available here . . .

http://www.american.edu/ted/parmesan.htm

And really, it should come as no surprise to anyone here that such a timeless visionary voyager as our beloved Reid would have nothing less than the best of cheeses . . . one with a history that makes any fan of gastronomia gasp in awe and appreciation. After all, it has been around for centuries . . .

"Since 1200-1300 Parmesan was renown and appreciated cheese in courts and feasts, as well as a food for simple meals or a delicacy for lucullian dinner. Many are the historic evidences of consumption and appreciation all over Italy and abroad. Even French writer Molière is told in his old age to eat a great deal of Parmesan. A banquet was not feasty enough if the dessert did not comprehend large plates of Parmesan cheese served together with fruits and nuts."

Nothing but the best for our intrepid journeyman and his sex slave prisoner -- oops, I mean fair maiden . . .

Phuk me. I'm now regretting that I didn't purloin any of the flight bags from my plane trip last week. I could easily fill up two of them right this second.

Blech!............

• Downvote 1
"Stowe's only companion and crew is 24-year-old Soanya Ahmad, his girlfriend"

That settles that.

FYI: NASA has identified Stowe's crew for his next trip (to Mars) as Lisa Nowak, wonder how Soanya will take the news?

I think we need to invite the author of the article to read this thread -- by using his own quotes and statements, she very adeptly conveyed that he is insane . . . my favorite part of the article was when she talked about how he "may be in danger of blissing out. . . ."

I can only imagine what she really wanted to write! I would LOVE to see the first drafts!!

Another favorite:

"A trip to Mars would be considerably better financed than Stowe's scrappy trip. He conceived of this idea about 20 years ago as a personal challenge, but it took years before he could round up sponsors and a willing first mate."

Pretty much sums it all up, right there. . . . don't blame the author for the coverage -- she was just completing an assignment, I'm sure.

I think we need to invite the author of the article to read this thread -- by using his own quotes and statements, she very adeptly conveyed that he is insane . . . my favorite part of the article was when she talked about how he "may be in danger of blissing out. . . ."

I can only imagine what she really wanted to write! I would LOVE to see the first drafts!!

Another favorite:

"A trip to Mars would be considerably better financed than Stowe's scrappy trip. He conceived of this idea about 20 years ago as a personal challenge, but it took years before he could round up sponsors and a willing first mate."

Pretty much sums it all up, right there. . . . don't blame the author for the coverage -- she was just completing an assignment, I'm sure.

Why don't you go interview Stowe and recepticle for their side?

See you in a few years!

Why don't you go interview Stowe and recepticle for their side?

See you in a few years!

I'm arguing this from an editor's point of view . . .Go back and read the article piece by piece. Clean, as a writer, you should be able to dissect the article for what it really is.

There is not one statement in that article that is an endorsement of the trip as either a generally smart idea or a useful contribution to space research. . . In fact, she uses quotes from legitimate Mars researchers to back up the fact that this project as a useful contribution to space research is bunk . . . . . "It's not at all unknown for people to be isolated for that length of time, and in far worse conditions," he says. "Ann Frank and her family were in an attic for two years, and not sailing the South Seas, but hiding from Nazis prowling around on the outside with listening devices."

I would also be willing to bet that the paragraph in which she calls him a "professional adventurer" is from a press release sent by Reid's disciples. The press release is probably what triggered the article. It happens all the time in print publications, and with online news publishing, it is significantly more common.

Whether it is right or wrong that Reid the freak is receiving more press coverage is, sadly, not the point.

I'm arguing this from an editor's point of view . . .Go back and read the article piece by piece. Clean, as a writer, you should be able to dissect the article for what it really is.

There is not one statement in that article that is an endorsement of the trip as either a generally smart idea or a useful contribution to space research. . . In fact, she uses quotes from legitimate Mars researchers to back up the fact that this project as a useful contribution to space research is bunk . . . . . "It's not at all unknown for people to be isolated for that length of time, and in far worse conditions," he says. "Ann Frank and her family were in an attic for two years, and not sailing the South Seas, but hiding from Nazis prowling around on the outside with listening devices."

I would also be willing to bet that the paragraph in which she calls him a "professional adventurer" is from a press release sent by Reid's disciples. The press release is probably what triggered the article.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to see that this drivel was spawned from the press release. Stow's hacks are prolly sending that shite all over to get some press from which they will use to scam money from more people. The upside i see and pray for is when Reid gets back those clowns will have made off with all his jack and be no where to be found

I would also be willing to bet that the paragraph in which she calls him a "professional adventurer" is from a press release sent by Reid's disciples. The press release is probably what triggered the article. It happens all the time in print publications, and with online news publishing, it is significantly more common.

Whether it is right or wrong that Reid the freak is receiving more press coverage is, sadly, not the point.

You haven't left yet?

I understand your point, and I agree that the author of the article is poking fun - note the use of the word "scrappy" which is a great editorial trick for calling something crappy. Problem is, the author failed to research the stuff most important to the article - the stuff which gives Reid credibility to the unknowing. I'm not saying it's bad writing - just bad research. Clearly, Wired didn't mind, and I understand that they pay something like a buck a word to freelancers, so good on her.

post-21187-1188956633_thumb.jpg

Aye captain reid, I tell you I saw her stealing the cheese and then she was messing with the liferaft. I tell you we can't trust her, we must stick together and do something before its too late, are you with me capn ????

post-21187-1188956633_thumb.jpg

Aye captain reid, I tell you I saw her stealing the cheese and then she was messing with the liferaft. I tell you we can't trust her, we must stick together and do something before its too late, are you with me capn ????

T-shirt time............

I understand your point, and I agree that the author of the article is poking fun - note the use of the word "scrappy" which is a great editorial trick for calling something crappy. Problem is, the author failed to research the stuff most important to the article - the stuff which gives Reid credibility to the unknowing. I'm not saying it's bad writing - just bad research. Clearly, Wired didn't mind, and I understand that they pay something like a buck a word to freelancers, so good on her.

Right on!

Another favorite:

the proof-reader missed one.

From the wired.com site:

Posted by: Sailon

4 hours ago1 Point

The forum at Sailinganarchy to which the previous comment refers, is unfortunately a scatological accumulation of undeniably irresponsible statements, that are as a whole uncharacteristic of the usually polite and intelligent sailing community. Sailing Anarchy can be extremely funny and sarcastic, as well as informative and newsworthy, however in the case of Stowe, for whatever reason, they have gone far overboard in their untrue, unreasonable and overtly hostile condemnation.

The man is engaged in an adventuresome and trying expedition, on a home built sailboat right out of another era. Accomplishing it on a shoestring and kindness of strangers, he's living out a dream for many landlubbers and sailors alike worldwide. Perhaps they are jealous, perhaps not. I believe that rather than pay attention to the ignorant and uninformed drivel that passes as commentary on much of Sailing anarchists wildly popular forum devoted to putting down Stowe and his mission, that a wiser course might be to go his blog to follow the adventure, and put your spirit as a fellow sailor behind the journey for a thousand days.

There is a link for the blog on the website: www.1000days.net

:lol:

From the wired.com site:

:lol:

My gawd, but this train wreck MUST continue, if only for the pleasure of reading the flowery verbage of this clueless Sailon person.

Like a womans orgasm, please don't let it stop!.............

Day 133 Wired Interview Sunday, 02 September 2007 Wind E 10-12 knots, Course NE, Speed 2.5-5 knots, Position: 08° 22 S, 05° 51 W

Soanya's View:

Right after lunch today, we had a phone interview with “Wiredâ€; a well known computer tech magazine. They were primarily interested in the space analogous aspect of the voyage. Reid gave his whole story about how twenty years ago he came to realize that there were parallels between what space psychologists were talking about and what he had actually experienced on the sea. I was asked how I felt about being isolated. My response was that it wasn't so bad. Being away from pop culture and commercialism has allowed me to develop my own way of doing things and my own standards because there is no one around to compare myself to. Come to think of it, we don't even have images of people lying around the boat. There are no signs, advertisements, or glossy publications to see another male or female and wonder what their lives are like or whether they really embody the fantasy they portray. I don't miss it and I don't think Reid does either. When asked what our advice to other potential astronauts would be, we both said, “When you leave the earth behind, know that you left it behind.†You shouldn't be missing things you can't have. That kind of thinking will only make you miserable. Just make the most of what you have right now.

We hope the story comes out soon. Look for it online.

Reid and Soanya

:blink: Am I missing something?

Phukin' perfect!

And here's something to ponder, folks---The reason they do not embrace commercialism is BECAUSE THEY DON"T HAVE A GAWD-DAMN DIME!............

Who needs dimes when you've got 250 lbs of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese? :lol:

Who needs dimes when you've got 250 lbs of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese? :lol:

You gotta go back about 3 pages and find the picture of cheese I put up. Must say, one of my proudest moments on this earth............

Day 133 Wired Interview Sunday, 02 September 2007 Wind E 10-12 knots, Course NE, Speed 2.5-5 knots, Position: 08° 22 S, 05° 51 W

When asked what our advice to other potential astronauts would be,

:blink: Am I missing something?

Space Cadet... Astronaut...

Lisa Nowak has already really blurred that line.

Far be it from me to post a positive comment about Reid but when it comes to cheese he is spot on. I got 5 months out of a lump of parmesan just like his - in the tropics ! All you have to do is keep it dry.

Trouble is that I paid and he didn't. Grrrrr ! I put it down to the sympathy factor.

Day 133 Wired Interview Sunday, 02 September 2007 Wind E 10-12 knots, Course NE, Speed 2.5-5 knots

I think their advice to astronauts should be tips on how to deal with the rigors of extreme speed on the human body :P

Why haven't Anarchists blowd up that wired comments blog?

4 hours ago1 Point

The forum at Sailinganarchy to which the previous comment refers, is unfortunately a scatological accumulation of undeniably irresponsible statements, that are as a whole uncharacteristic of the usually polite and intelligent sailing community. Sailing Anarchy can be extremely funny and sarcastic, as well as informative and newsworthy, however in the case of Stowe, for whatever reason, they have gone far overboard in their untrue, unreasonable and overtly hostile condemnation.

The man is engaged in an adventuresome and trying expedition, on a home built sailboat right out of another era. Accomplishing it on a shoestring and kindness of strangers, he's living out a dream for many landlubbers and sailors alike worldwide. Perhaps they are jealous, perhaps not. I believe that rather than pay attention to the ignorant and uninformed drivel that passes as commentary on much of Sailing anarchists wildly popular forum devoted to putting down Stowe and his mission, that a wiser course might be to go his blog to follow the adventure, and put your spirit as a fellow sailor behind the journey for a thousand days.

What planet does this guy sail on? Has he ever tried to get on a starting line or come thru the Inner Coastal when every French/Canadian sailor with a boat is comming at you? Polite my ass. The thing that chafes my patience is that this is a forum FOR sailors BY sailors and the vast majority of us are waiting for the bomb to go off due to the lack of RESPONSIBLE PREPORATION AND MAINTENANCE on Anne. Take her slightly off coast....maybe. Take her out to sea for 1000 days......go ahead I'll be at the bar. His idea that as SA members, we are the low brow sect of the sailing community. I would gladly take someones advice on here then on say Google chat. I don't think we are jealous or irresponsible in our posts so I (personally) would like examples of how untrue, unreasonable and overty hostile we are. It is Stowe who is endangering a novice sailor and being compleatly selfish in his desire to be at sea. I know that if this turns tragic it will be a top story and people will want to know the whos and whys he was able to do this on such a ship. That would be a skid mark on the rail of prepaired sailors. If the Volvo fleet can see nasty shit out there and be very hurt by it, it is only a mater of time before they are caught in something that shows how out of control this soap opera really is.

"The forum at Sailinganarchy to which the previous comment refers, is unfortunately a scatological accumulation of undeniably irresponsible statements ....."

Jesse - I know you're lurking out there. You really need to look up the big words (like "scatological") before using them. While your poetry sucks, this just makes you look stupid.

A classic tale of "the leaf v.s. the bottle"....

Stowe = "...you don't want an aggressive, overachieving jet pilot. In this case, an astronaut with "the right stuff" would be quiet and meditative -- someone who would take satisfaction from small daily tasks, and who could while away the hours staring at the stars." [ie: SMOKES POT]

Sailing Anarchy = "...is unfortunately a scatological accumulation of undeniably irresponsible statements, that are as a whole uncharacteristic of the usually polite and intelligent sailing community." [ie: DRINKS RUM]

It is ironic how Stowe and Fradkin try so desperately to portray this as a romantic and selfless journey to benefit others as some half baked pseudo space voyage. The reality is not that Reid doesn't have the sea miles or courage, but that he set out on a trip of negligible scientific or exploratory value, ill equipped in a vessel grossly unprepared with a neophyte crew who clearly had little background or experience.

Taking a vessel that is leaking, severly lacking maintenance and without testing existing safety equipment or having safety equipment that would be considered essential is not romantic. It is foolhardy, and potentially disasterous. Sailing offshore and passage making is a great adventure that few really get to experience. Sailing heart shaped patterns in the middle of the ocean while expecting others to pay your way deserves a nylon wrap around sport coat.

Comment, Jesse?

We actually have 2 opposite extremes on SA.

We have Daniel Taylor/DoubleReef/Salty Waters/etc., who has an entire West Marine worth of new equipment on a very nice boat, but needs therapy before cleaning out an old bilge sock and so far hasn't gone much of anywhere.

We have Stowe on a boat most would consider unfit for sleeping aboard at the dock wandering around the open ocean.

Both of them appear to be batshit crazy :o

Stowe would be funny if it wasn't for Soanya. She appears to not have any clue what danger she is in.

It is ironic how Stowe and Fradkin try so desperately to portray this as a romantic and selfless journey to benefit others as some half baked pseudo space voyage. The reality is not that Reid doesn't have the sea miles or courage, but that he set out on a trip of negligible scientific or exploratory value, ill equipped in a vessel grossly unprepared with a neophyte crew who clearly had little background or experience.

Taking a vessel that is leaking, severly lacking maintenance and without testing existing safety equipment or having safety equipment that would be considered essential is not romantic. It is foolhardy, and potentially disasterous. Sailing offshore and passage making is a great adventure that few really get to experience. Sailing heart shaped patterns in the middle of the ocean while expecting others to pay your way deserves a nylon wrap around sport coat.

Comment, Jesse?

4 hours ago1 Point

Hmmm, another Reid-worshipper who is oblivious to the FACT that we do read Reid's drivel of a blog. Condemnation? We're going by the facts here. Someone who supposedly has sooo much sailing experience knowingly goes on a this type of voyage with hull cracks, leaky diesel tanks, bottom encrusted in growth without proper fitting spare sails... That is fact. The boat rarely goes over 2 knots when winds are above 10. It's not all rainbows and unicorns. Reid's worshippers think we should praise him and open our wallets- when we state FACT, we are "Reid Bashing." By no means am I JEALOUS of their "adventure in a shitbox." "Reid's Mission"? Yeah, okay... I know plenty of people with older boats who cruise around the world- they worked hard and saved money to do this. They know how to actually work on their boats, sail much faster, their boats are properly equipped AND they maintain their boats (when is the last time Reid mentioned even starting the engine or changing the oil?). They can deal with gale-force winds, strong waves, and cargo ships. These are the sailors I admire. They are the same guys who give realistic boat advice and will lend a helping hand in the boatyard when you can't get that damn cutlass bearing off. What has Reid actually done for anyone? His posts are self-glorifying, and he feels it's everyone's else's job to give him a handout. Period. When something goes wrong, he sure is quick to blame someone else- hell, it was the cargo ship's fault, it was the pier's fault, no one bought him this or that or paid for the haulout... He takes no responsibility for his actions. Reid lives in his own little delusional world and his cult-followers are blind.

Who's surprised that they are having problems with their satellite antenna so they cannot be tracked at the moment??? Bet a million bucks (that I don't have) that they are on Sao Tome or Principe in the Gulf of Guinea. Mr. Navigator (who can't even sail by the stars) probably lost control of his boat because it hit speeds of 5 Knots and sailed right into a sandbar off one of these islands. My ass their antenna is broken!

And I think blogger 'Sailon' is 'Sailfastandfree,' aka Jesse Fradkin, using a different moniker because his identity got found out using SF&F...

Is there a yacht club on either of those islands so someone can contact a fellow sailor to take a look-see for the "Schooner Anne" sitting dockside? While Soyana and the moron are in the marina restaurant scarfing down on beef -- of course they have no money so they'd have to trade some of their mangificent cheese for their meal :lol:

And Jesse, who must have an ego as big as Reid's (hard to imagine), is asking everyone to go online and rate his blog! All of you who have been censored, here's your chance to actually get to say what you want about the trip without being deleted! :ph34r:

Guess what the secret ingredient on IRON CHEF AMERICA was tonight??

Parmigiano Reggiano!!! Looked fackin heavy too! Good luck getting that into LEO much less Mars.

Straight from the man Ted Allen himself, and I quote

"Parmigiano is the king of cheeses..."

TedAllenWeb.jpg

You can't make this shit up folks.

Guess what the secret ingredient on IRON CHEF AMERICA was tonight??

Parmigiano Reggiano!!! Looked fackin heavy too! Good luck getting that into LEO much less Mars.

Straight from the man Ted Allen himself, and I quote

"Parmigiano is the king of cheeses..."

You can't make this shit up folks.

That's hysterical! :lol:

Captain - my captain - the water is all dirty and smelly and runs real slow. What do we do, Captain? Is it REALLY going to rain again? Is any algae besides blue green algae poisonous? What color is our algae?

September 16, 2007

Day 147

Checking Our Water Supply

Wind SSW 5-8 knots

Course WNW, Speed 1-2 knots, Position: 01° 30 N, 06° 37 W

We have four big water tanks that hold up around a thousand gallons of water that we rebuilt less than two years ago with the help of the Nidacore company, one of our product sponsors. I shouldn't have been worried about our water supply, but you never know if a tank leaked or became spoiled. Since the last rain we were able to catch was two months ago, I began to wonder how we could ration our water and what it would be like to run out of water way out where we are. We used up our two smaller tanks. One of them I refilled almost halfway the first time we used the big rain catchment tarp. Our main tank has a heavy algae growth and doesn't taste good. We use that water for washing. I began to be concerned about our water supply because there wasn't any rain. I read how Jon Sanders, on his record breaking 657 day voyage, had to sail north of the equator, close to where we are, to refill his tanks. So we sailed up here to catch some rain, but we haven't had any luck yet.The problem with our water tanks is that they are under tons of cargo and to inspect them, I have to dig down through the cargo. I never figured out another solution. The cargo is secured with partitions and ropes. It was quite a job getting down to the tank tops. I made some provisions so that next time it will be a little easier. The main tank had the cloudy water and was about half full. I moved to another section and checked the port tank. It was also half full and still clean from two months ago. The big forward tank was critical and I was happy to see that even though we had been using it for two months, it was still three quarters full and relatively clean. So I'm relieved. We are actually in good shape and I'm sure we will catch rain soon._______________________________________________

Well, at least the front of the boat is in top-notch condition as they head into the Southern Ocean . . . . :ph34r:

Edit: Apparently their satellite tracking unit isn't working properly either -- it isn't reporting their position . . . MORE good news to head into the Southern Ocean with!!

"Our roller-furling jib is up and working now. In the photo, you can see how the sail is partly rolled up around the head stay. This is a very important piece of equipment for us and I wanted a roller-furling headsail for over twenty years. It saves a lot of difficult work. Now that I am the only guy onboard, it's hard for me to handle the big hank-on jib that we have. That sail is so big and heavy that I can't move it without a strong effort and that isn't the hardest part. Getting it back on deck and stuffing it back down the forward hatch in a blow is an athletic feat. Then the sail is totally in the way in the focsle and I have to use the power winch to hoist it back on deck; so the roller-furler sail is the one I want to use. I hope it lasts because the hanks that hold the other jib are wearing out.

The new roller-furling jib is partially blanketed by the staysail and should, if our original bowsprit was on, be another ten feet further out. It would have gotten clear wind and balanced the boat better, but considering that the front of the boat was smashed, we had no sails, and no rigging cables holding the masts forward, we have just finished a good strong rebuild with which we are trusting enough to head down into the Southern Ocean.

Reid and Soanya"