Rolex Regatta St. Thomas

Bedford

Equation on a hook outside the St. Thomas Yacht Club a few years back awaiting the Rolex Regatta. I'm sure Bill Alcott and crew will be there again this year. It's one of his favorite race venues. The island in the background is Frenchcap.

copiedpics039.jpg

Equation on a hook outside the St. Thomas Yacht Club a few years back awaiting the Rolex Regatta. I'm sure Bill Alcott and crew will be there again this year. It's one of his favorite race venues. The island in the background is Frenchcap.

copiedpics039.jpg

They will be there.

This is the harbor at the STYC.The Benneteau 38 (Tempest) at the dock is the boat we used to race down there. Christmas Cove is in the background. Great spot for snorkeling and beach BBQs. (note the IC24s on moorings to the right)

copiedpics156.jpg

Here we are at Christmas Cove. St. Thomas Yacht Club in the background.

copiedpics095.jpg

St.Thomas Yacht Club, red roof just to the right of center. More IC24s on moorings.

copiedpics116.jpg

copiedpics039.jpg

...definately not Cowpet Bay. Great Bay around the corner maybe? you can still see st john from there though....

...definately not the harbor at STYC.

Actually,........it is. I took the picture from a house I was working on at the time at Water Point. This picture is looking south just outside the mouth of Cowpet Bay, where the STYC is. There isn't room to a put hook down inside as they have a pretty extensive mooring field.

Another angle. Same house looking more southwesterly. You can clearly see the entrance to the mooring field. When I took the shot of Equation, I was sitting on the deck past the pool, eating a soft ckicken taco from Burrito bay in Red Hook.

copiedpics046.jpg

Most People don't get a chance to get to this spot as it's a gated community. We Built two homes in there and worked on two others.

Just for laughs and giggles. here is another picture I took from just about the same spot on the deck that I snapped the picture of Equation. Different day. Most people never see this on St. Thomas either but there actually is a small herd of Whitetail deer. They were brought down and introduced on Great St. James Island, where Christmas Cove is. They swim across Current Cut to the east end of St. Thomas where they have actually become a problem for residents because they eat all the (expensive) vegetation. This one had it timed each day when the sprinklers came on it would come a drink directly out of them.

One day, on the other side of this point, where we were building another house, I pulled up to the jobsite at 6:30am as usual and was organizing some papers that were on the passenger seat. When I turned to get out I found myself face to face with a deer who's head was IN MY CAR SNIFFING ME !!!!!! They are not shy. I had to physically push his head out of the car.

copiedpics048.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ditto! I'll be flying straight from a trip to Ft Huachuca. That should be loads of fun. :blink:

Mmmmm...far away from work.....

You got a ride for St Thomas?----bitch!! (I'm so jealous)

You got a ride for St Thomas?----bitch!! (I'm so jealous)

I wonder if they've set a date yet? :lol:

Landing Tuesday afternoon... Return Monday. Get to spend B-Day in STT again. This time, it's Friday night.

Scoring for all Saturday races will be postponed 'till Sunday once hangover mellows....

• 2 weeks later...

My boyz apparently had to induce a capsize on their ARC22 when a cruising tri (towing a dinghy no less) decided to port-tack the whole fleet. Saddest part was that it wasn't even racing apparently. Video evidence to follow.

Blew out a bunch of gear when they flipped, ruined the rest of the regatta for them basically.

Archived