Heaven Can Wait on my boys too

razorback

I know it's a local interest story, and we are just a little bunch of 4ksb pilots in a remote backwater corner of Dumbfuckistan, but the the guy in the yellow hat trying not to hit that mark just spent over 14 months fighting through chemo, radiation, bone marrow, stem cell, blah, blah, blah so he could go sailing again. He wanted his boat and his crew to keep sailing, so the other guys in the fleet took turns guest skippering in his absence.

Saturday, he crewed up with a couple of sailing friends and some grandkids for his first run since November of '06 and they got the gun in the first race. I was on RC duty and had the honor of firing it. They didn't save their time, but nobody cared. It's the first time in a lifetime of sailing that I've teared up watching a friend cross the line.

Great guy. Great times. GO THE DRAGON!

post-7381-1205804629_thumb.jpg

P.S. We've got one more to go. Our starts have a hole in them where an S2 7.9 should be. C'mon Mick. You are up to bat, bro.

Great story!

The first " after this sh*t is over I'm going racing" race he did was probably immensly satisfying.

Thanks for sharing.

No apology necessary Razorback - you just told one of the best sailing stories I have ever read here. Thanks. Long may your friend sail on.

Now tell us about the blond with the pink hat... :D

Sail On!

What boat is that?

J/92 (old style) named "Penndragon". The guy is as good as gold and it sure is better to see him out there where his poor mainsheet/tiller coordination is his biggest problem. He was really tired, but made it to the party Saturday night wearing a grin that wouldn't go away.

Here's one more since there seems to be some interest. The youngsters are his grandkids.

post-7381-1205814268_thumb.jpg

I don't care what everybody says, you folks are OK.

Great Stuff Razor - "You had me at the.....Ummm... The Title".

It's one thing to have sailed prior to having Cancer, it's a totally different experience once you've beaten it.

Congratulations to your mate and to you for letting us know about it.

Cheers,

HcW

Thanks for sharing, that second pic is perfect with the look of his grand daughter's face.

Go the Dragon!

Thanks for sharing this great story!!! It’s nice to hear about someone getting their life back after fighting the horrible monster of C. when you get a chance buy the man a drink and send me the bill.

Go the Dragon!!!

Thanks for the story. Hey I'm headed to your part of the world next week a quick in on Tuesday out on Thursday. No idea what the boss has planned of the evenings but if I have free time I'll give you a ping and maybe we can get together.

Love the story. Lost a dad to C long ago. Things like this still get me.

[This is the NICEST SA thread I've ever seen!!]

Same here.

Did Whidbey Week with my dad just before he was diagnosed and that left lots of memories. Wife going through it now. Must be something in my eye.

Go the Dragon!

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing Razorback.

Thanks for the story. Hey I'm headed to your part of the world next week a quick in on Tuesday out on Thursday. No idea what the boss has planned of the evenings but if I have free time I'll give you a ping and maybe we can get together.

Looking forward to it, but I'll believe it when I see you. So far, I'm suspecting that you are just one of DoRag's personalities. Is this the boss we need to talk into an M32?

Awesome. Wish him the best from another sailing family fighting cancer.

I look forward to tossing my now 2 y.o. little Rock in an Opti or Bic when he's medically declared "cured" in 5 years. Round 3 of 6 chemo starts 1 week from today...

Nice boat btw, what's it rate? (First time I've ever been first to that one!)

Awesome. Wish him the best from another sailing family fighting cancer.

I look forward to tossing my now 2 y.o. little Rock in an Opti or Bic when he's medically declared "cured" in 5 years. Round 3 of 6 chemo starts 1 week from today...

Nice boat btw, what's it rate? (First time I've ever been first to that one!)

J/92, which checks in at 108 around here.

Let me be the first to add: GO THE PEBBLE!

• 2 months later...
Let me be the first to add: GO THE PEBBLE!

There are a lot of us rooting for that particular little PEBBLE. We miss him running around our feet while we try to rig our boat at Parkers. We want him back soonest.

I think....."GO THE PEBBLE"......is the perfect rallying cry. Thanks Razorback.

Go the PEBBLE!

post-13437-1211639050_thumb.jpgpost-13437-1211639095_thumb.jpg

P.S. We've got one more to go. Our starts have a hole in them where an S2 7.9 should be. C'mon Mick. You are up to bat, bro.

I hate to interrupt the great feel of this thread, but Mick Caughron, the 7.9 sailor that I mentioned in the P.S., didn't make it. He had a condition very similar to Ted Kennedy, as I understand it. Rizzo and I shared a ride to Memphis to bury him last Thursday. Really a nice guy and we all have a huge hole in our hearts.

The good news is that Stewart (the Penndragon skipper) is still sailing and smiling. Overall, our little club has done pretty well against the big "C". Just off the top of my head, I think our members have about a 7-2 record in serious cases in the past few years.

My sig line remains...

Member since 06 and this is my first post, but I was really moved by this story. Kind of reminds me of the Ted Kennedy thing. Anyway, we only live once so enjoy life.

Mike

Razor, Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Member since 06 and this is my first post, but I was really moved by this story. Kind of reminds me of the Ted Kennedy thing. Anyway, we only live once so enjoy life.

Mike

Keep'em coming Mike, dont be shy, the first is always the hardest. ;)

• 3 years later...

It's been 3 years since I posted this thread, and I'm sad to say that I received word this morning that it's time to revisit it. Stewart passed away at home this weekend.

He got quite a bit of time on the water the past 3 summers. The physical demands have prevented him from racing for a while, but he often came to the dock for skipper's meetings just to be around the guys. If he felt like it, he'd jump on the RC boat, and he always opened the door at the parties. Penndragon sailed on days that weather permitted, almost always with the same grinning mashup crew of war buddies and grandkids. The only bad part was that we all knew that he wanted to be there so bad that he was grinning through a lot of pain. His lovely wife once commented that "I wish he wouldn't wear himself out on that damn boat, but it's given me extra years with him."

He wasn't a legend, or a VIP, except to family and friends. Just a good guy that worked hard till the work was done, then wrung all the fun there was out of the time that remained. He really tried to improve the day of everybody he encountered and made sure his family knew they were loved. Mostly he really got that time is precious, and he wasn't about to waste any on unimportant bullshit. He took up sailing relatively late in life simply because he thought it looked like fun. He sailed with more enthusiasm than skill, but it was always a pleasure to share the water and the day with him.

I'm not good at the whole sorrow thing. I don't even visit people in the hospital very often because I suck at it. So for my little tribute, I'll just shut my eyes, ease up alongside Penndragon on a loose reach after the finish, hoist a can, and call out "Good race Stew!". You won.

Great thread. Thanks to all.

I got misty just reading the OP.

I'm sorry to hear that Stewart has passed.

Fair winds. Sail on, good sir. R.I.P.

Sorry to hear that razor..

I hear you about sucking at going to hospitals. About 10 years ago my closest friend had a relapse of cancer, tumors, and leukemia after being free of everything for a good 5 years. It cut him down quickly, the tumour growing to a basketball-sized lump protruding out of his chest. The day before he died, we were all sitting in his hospital room, the mood was macabre and we weren't really sure how to handle it.. He could sense this, and said

"Don't worry about it guys - you know how I've lived my life. I have absolutely no regrets, and if this is all the time I get, this is all the time I get. It's been one hell of a trip.." Well shiiiiat.. here he was, knowing he was dying, and he was cheering us up. Successfully, I might add..

And he was right - extreme skiing in the rockies, was one course away from getting his commercial pilot's license, played basketball, baseball and volleyball competitively, traveled extensively, and was one of those all-american type guys the girls just loved - and you couldn't be pissed at him since he was genuinely a fantastic guy to boot..

We were 24 when he died, and I swore after that statement that I'd live my life from that point forward doing my very best to not have any regrets of my own. So far so good. It's thanks to him I've been truly *living* since..

Sounds like Stew was one of those guys too - guys like them don't "die".. they go from grabbing life by the balls in this life to grabbing life by the balls in whichever reality exists after death. It sucks not having them in our lives anymore, but I take solace in the fact that I'm being selfish and they're having a blast wherever we go next.

Archived