PICS ... it did happen

Gouvernail

From the Austin American Statesman

CENTRAL TEXAS DIGEST

Helicopter lands in Lake Travis

Sunday, May 11, 2008

TRAVIS COUNTY

Helicopter lands in Lake Travis

A small helicopter made an unexpected landing in Lake Travis near Hudson Bend on Saturday, according to Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services.

Two people were onboard the for-hire aircraft, and one of them was reportedly taking photographs or video.

Reports from the scene indicated that there were no injuries, emergency medical officials said. The pilot and passenger were taken by boat to shore.

From the KXAN TV Site>>>

Original.jpg

Two-person helicopter crash lands in Lake Travis

Last Update: 5/10 4:16 pm

Helicopter Lands In Lake Travis

The helicopter had inflatable landing gear that allows it to land on water.

A small helicopter made an emergency landing in the waters of Lake Travis Saturday afternoon. No one was hurt.

The helicopter had inflatable landing gear and was built to land in the water, but something went wrong, and it ended up capsized. It was quickly brought to shore by emergency personnel.

The occupants were extricated from the craft, which landed off Hudson Bend near 15 Waterfront Avenue.

Almost as good as the private jet that splashed down in the middle of Whidbey Island Race Week a few years ago. The 70+ year old couple walked out on the wing, and swam out to the rescue crew and Robert was their uncle.

There are pics...too lazy.

And Gouv...good job.

so no-one going to suggest setting up a collection :unsure:

oh wait. they are all ready set-up for collections :o:lol::lol:

hope no one hurt B)

so no-one going to suggest setting up a collection :unsure:

oh wait. they are all ready set-up for collections :o:lol::lol:

hope no one hurt B)

Congratulations to her bra fitter.

Glad nobody was hurt.

This is exactly why we actively discourage BoatPrix from overflying our events. Unsafe flying at low altitude around crowded waters while intentionally positioning their aircraft in the vicinity of boats. We've warned BoatPrix and also have reported them to the FAA and USCG (large number of ships in the restricted channels). In fact, the aircraft that crashed this weekend is the same crew that overflys Galveston Bay. The use of student pilots in an environment like this is reckless and unsafe for any number of reasons.

As I said, I'm glad nobody got hurt. But Karma finally caught up with them. Would have been a lot worse if they had dropped on the folks on the beach at Hippie Hollow or on top of one of the nearby marinas.

FOr all the people who posted this pic of the helecopter, expect a bill in the mail from boatpix, you are in violation of their terms of use. They will be sending you to collections soon.

*edit* I see that I am Way late on the collections joke.

I was covering a regatta and had my helicopter tied up to the dock. When I got back the next morning someone had moved it. What is the proper protocol?

PS I am including a shot so you can see what happened.

Glad nobody was hurt.

This is exactly why we actively discourage BoatPrix from overflying our events. Unsafe flying at low altitude around crowded waters while intentionally positioning their aircraft in the vicinity of boats. We've warned BoatPrix and also have reported them to the FAA and USCG (large number of ships in the restricted channels). In fact, the aircraft that crashed this weekend is the same crew that overflys Galveston Bay. The use of student pilots in an environment like this is reckless and unsafe for any number of reasons.

As I said, I'm glad nobody got hurt. But Karma finally caught up with them. Would have been a lot worse if they had dropped on the folks on the beach at Hippie Hollow or on top of one of the nearby marinas.

Your attempts with the FAA and USCG will fall on deaf ears as there are no laws about proximity to boats or people with helicopters as there are with fixed wing aircraft. Its hard to defend Boatpixs as a customer its kinda sick how much they charge although their expenses may be high I think they would sell enough more photos if their prices were lower. They may also find people hate them less. I havent found them to be very friendly either.

Anyone have followup picks with the Helicopter right side up?

Helicopters are expensive and the cost is recovered in the pictures. Our least expensive picture is a huge 16â€x20†color picture, about the size of a 25†TV for $250 or three for $500. These are SUPER high quality portraits that are more like art work. We remove stains, barnacles, blemishes and fenders from your boat and make it look like new. For slightly more, you can also buy the digital files which are suitable for publication in any magazine on the planet.

I figure the helicopter runs them $300.00 an hour.

A good way to get the FAAs attention is make a written complaint to the local police department. since it involves airborn operations they will call the FAA and try to pass the buck. The FAA will be pissed. Now you have both agencies involved and they will make it go away.

ss

A good way to get the FAAs attention is make a written complaint to the local police department. since it involves airborn operations they will call the FAA and try to pass the buck. The FAA will be pissed. Now you have both agencies involved and they will make it go away.

ss

I think the LCRA Rangers (Lower Colorado River Authority) are the law on Lake Travis, not the Austin Police Department.

com_rangers01.jpg

Per a recent article on the LCRA Rangers:

Just like on the road, you're being watched on the water by LCRA Rangers.

"You might not see us but we're around," Silva said.

Other important insight from the LCRA Rangers:

the motion of the water and the sun make one beer on the water like three on land.

So if you drink two beers in an hour's time, you've had the equivalent of a six pack

01boat4.jpg

Damn, I am going to move to lake travis, 2 beers = a 6 pack, I'll save a bundle.

Can Cedric use that as a legal angle??? <_<

just when you thought his prices couldnt get any higher........

that a-hole told me "go get your captain, you couldnt afford my pictures"

looks to me like he is going to have to pay a mechanic like me ALOT of money, HAHA!

fargin icehole

just when you thought his prices couldnt get any higher........

that a-hole told me "go get your captain, you couldnt afford my pictures"

looks to me like he is going to have to pay a mechanic like me ALOT of money, HAHA!

fargin icehole

Corksucker!

Damn, I am going to move to lake travis, 2 beers = a 6 pack, I'll save a bundle.

Can Cedric use that as a legal angle??? <_<

I was wondering when someone was going to tie that into this thread. Cedric has been pulled over around 7 times by the LCRA in the past year or so. Local AM radio was questioning if the reason (7 times) is because he's black. I dunno what the boat is but it's 37' long. I've never been pulled over (yet) and I'm not legal since my 16' boats don't have TX numbers. 14' is exempt here.

What I have hard time understanding is why this helicopter flies all the way to Lake Travis from Houston. Are y'all sure that is correct. It's always on the lake and saw it Saturday around 11:30am flying over the dam.

Why does everyone hate on BoatPix? I've never dealt with them before but it seems like everyone does yet I haven't seen a thread on here before about them

It is not like the pics are bad, it is how they operate. They take the pics, sometimes getting too close for the conditions, other times messing with your air, and send you the proofs (all of them, big small, on photo paper. I think I got a poster once). Problem is that once you get the proofs, you are expected to order something immediately and the prices are crazy high. I have heard that if you don't get all of the proofs back to them within the prescribed timeframe, they will report you to a collection agency without informing you. Once this happens the customer service is apparently non existant. Also, I believe they use “Pilots in training” so the flying is apparently suspect.

“Allegedly” ;)

Problem is that once you get the proofs, you are expected to order something immediately and the prices are crazy high. I have heard that if you don't get all of the proofs back to them within the prescribed timeframe, they will report you to a collection agency without informing you. Once this happens the customer service is apparently non existant.

Has anyone actually been reported to a collection agency?

If true, send me an email. I fucking hate collection agencies.

I have dealt with Boatpix. I entered the info on thier website, and recieved a tube with four photos, not proofs. It was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed, and my memory is fading, but I believe it was: 1- 10x17, 1-8x10, 2-5x7. all for around $300...

I had 10 days to pay, or ship them back.

I shipped them back. Photos were Badly pixelated.. not clear at all.. I offered to buy them at a Highly reduced rate.. but nope.. so I sent them back.. Seemed like a waste..

• 8 months later...

Archived