• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh Pooh-bah, perhaps knowing they are as am I that i550 boats are very breaking easy to me. The keel is so small and light I can carry easily to the boss man but only receive a small roti it for.  

Sahib, I know not how to read or write but I do know how to break boats. I also a little know how to sail from those boats with the training wheels. I would be glad to come to the land of the Solomo

I am searching for a source of sustainably harvested plywood made to the BS 1088 specification. Also if anyone has experience with the bio-derived epoxy offerings, let me know your experience.  T

Posted Images

I like the Rocket, so does my wife. I totally support the i550 thing though. It's really cool. Would love to get a ride.

I've always thought it too bad that the Portland and Hood River racing are separate. It would be killer to start racing in Cascade Locks. So nice there. Better than both Portland and HR IMO. More favorable to i550s too.

Just a thought, but no idea what it means.

[edit] I think after DD, kinda getting tired of the nuke

Cascade Locks has so much potential as a world class sailing center, but the Port controls all of the land and seems to have their own ideas on development.

Hopefully we can get a dry sail area approved in Portland, and the whole goal with the i550 has been to road warrior them, but a home base in CL would be sweet.

There's a number in build in the PNW and a home colony in CL would be great.

a newsletter has been posted, you can get it at i550.org

T

SA ROCKS.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Was on the phone all over the planet yesterday, we just love all of you pesky fans of the boat.

We're thinking of offering a digital plan set special. what do ya think?

bomb us with answers at i550watershed@yahoo.com

Runs from NOW into September, but not too far into September, get off your butts.

Thank You, Scott

Timber

Runs from NOW into September, but not too far into September, get off your butts.

Thank You, Scott Timber

..hmm pass me another beer-I'll think 'bout it :rolleyes:

Thank You, Scott Timber

..hmm pass me another beer-I'll think 'bout it :rolleyes:

Mmmmmm... BEER!

I hear beer can be bad for your feet.

Unless, of course you soak your feet in warm beer.

I hear one design beer works the best. It has special healing properties.

Will wait & consider a special "special," when we get off the road.

Susan

Our Kool-Aide is "Special." The FDA will not allow us make claims concerning just how special our Koolaide is, but we're definitely trippin' ....

Please don't tell Tim I'm online, or he'll take away my laptop again.

Susan

hmm,,it seems likely at this point that ,in couchsurfer style,

...I'll be sliding my lazy butt onto an i550,no build time,,no plans paid :rolleyes:

....most likely Carbon Offset will be driving back up the westcoast with me next week...

if there's anyone between sacramento,the gorge, and vancouver that wants a testsail,,and has a couch(joking),,,let me know and I'll stop by.

...no Koolaid tho,,just good sailing!! :P

Oh hurrah ... a very fine choice. Congrats to Mr. Doo, if they are due.

He will be MISSED, but happy cruising to Ben, Molly & the boys.

Let us know where to stick your green dot on the map.

S&T

Oh hurrah ... a very fine choice. Congrats to Mr. Doo, if they are due.

He will be MISSED, but happy cruising to Ben, Molly & the boys.

Let us know where to stick your green dot on the map.

S&T

..oh that's not the last you'll see of Ben,,,,part of the deal was visitation rights.

..it seems people get attached to these :huh:

...the deal-closer for me was that the boat was made under the influence....

... of Sierra PaleAle!!...a VERY good choice!

OK OK OK.... First Susan's laptop privledges are in serious review. Second, beer is good especially sierra PA. Third, you got a great deal on that boat mister. No plans DRAT. Transfer of hull # fee is ......... carry the one ....... + ....... + aggravation factor and smartass comments coefficient = a Reminder to Ben that once he's a koolaid drinker he can't leave the cult no matter what. Even if he has a note from Amy Semple McPherson. In fact a note like that just gets him in deeper.

I have spake.

Could'nt have asked for a better transfer, Guys.

Okay so that makes THREE sailing i550s in the NW (Portland, Flathead, Vancouver)!!

One is just waiting on a rig and one is waiting on deck paint in Portland. One just had a mast arrive in Portland. We know that NZMark's boat is close in Olympia, but haven't heard from him lately. Brant in Eugene is plugging along. So by spring of 2012 we should see at least 6 and most likely 8 sailing. Put CGOD in Cascade Locks on your calendar NOW for the first North American Championships!!

Okay so that makes THREE sailing i550s in the NW (Portland, Flathead, Vancouver)!!

One is just waiting on a rig and one is waiting on deck paint in Portland. One just had a mast arrive in Portland. We know that NZMark's boat is close in Olympia, but haven't heard from him lately. Brant in Eugene is plugging along. So by spring of 2012 we should see at least 6 and most likely 8 sailing. Put CGOD in Cascade Locks on your calendar NOW for the first North American Championships!!

..snooping around BC,I found 4 builds in progress...chilliwak(?),,vancouver,,squamish and nanaimo,,,bit early to know if they'll be on the water by spring,,,but if there's a way I can help,let me know!

..with Ben's boat I saw a SWEET way to jump-in!

...so 'gladrag',whatcha putting on the line for the C-god?? <_<

I'm sure much beer will be provided...............

...mmmmm,,fullsail amber,gottalovit!

..it's one of those -special moments- in the universe when you get together with your sailing mates around the barbieQ at the gorge,,salmon's on,,and the Full sail's pouring,,, B)

So, the cult members are encouraged to gather at the Locks. Better get all the permissions from the Parole Officers for us Yanks and start the Visa process fer you dangerous Canadiens.

I'll dangle a cheap price for a full build from Watershed. I get CRANKY when I'm not busy and I tend to post a lot on SA during those episodes. Mebbee I'll go and Loiter with intent to Lurk About at the Viper thread or the Open 5.70.

The day when those other boats meet with an i550 for the first time is not too far in the future. Much has been said about how great any of the boats is. They are all great boats and we are finally getting to real sailing in boats without furniture. But the i550 is better.

.......The day when those other boats meet with an i550 for the first time is not too far in the future. Much has been said about how great any of the boats is. They are all great boats and we are finally getting to real sailing in boats without furniture. But the i550 is better.

.......... the beauty of these boats is their budget and simplicity,,

....maybe I'm wrong,,but I don't have illusions about the flat-bottom boats being 'better',,unless you look at a $/speed ratio

.......The day when those other boats meet with an i550 for the first time is not too far in the future. Much has been said about how great any of the boats is. They are all great boats and we are finally getting to real sailing in boats without furniture. But the i550 is better.

....maybe I'm wrong,,but I don't have illusions about the flat-bottom boats being 'better',,unless you look at a $/speed ratio

faster than a Viper, no. Faster than an SB3 or Melges 20, maybe. Faster than an Open 570, probably.

But when you can build an i550 for $15k with sails and a carbon rig or have one built for $22-24 you are WAY ahead com

faster than a Viper, no. Faster than an SB3 or Melges 20, maybe. Faster than an Open 570, probably.

But when you can build an i550 for $15k with sails and a carbon rig or have one built for $22-24 you are WAY ahead compared to those other guys.

SA ROCKS.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Was on the phone all over the planet yesterday, we just love all of you pesky fans of the boat.

Thank You, Scott

Timber

Yeah I want a set of those digi plansif the price is really special! :-) You don't have to mess w plotting and I will just cnc-route 'em parts in a click... :-)

the continuing adventures of CARBON OFFSET....

hi folks,,,,3rd outing on the new-t-me,Carbon offset,,,,first without Bendoo,,,,and first GOOD breeze,,,puffing a bit over 20 at times...

...had a good sail upwind,,,couldn't get those with me t'HIKE!!....thilly kiteboarders

had a great time with the chute,,though oversize(stock melges 20) is a bit oversize,,,and makes things rather touchy especially in side-on puffs.........was having a great downwind ride against river current,,,,,,and then got a glimpse of water sloshing below.....

........water sloshing ~8'' down the whole boat,,,,water gushing through the out-of-place keel gasket,,,one of them thillykiteboarders had seen it,,didn't know it was a problem!!!

............soooo with that much 'ballast',,and speeding along nicely,,,CAN'T WAIT for the next ride without the extra ~600 -800lbs

,,,,,I'd say this possibility of gasket fail would NOT be a problem with a short cabin version,,,something to consider....

....and -limber-holes- would very much ease drainage from haveing to spoon out each compartment,,,worth the effort!

...another thought in build would be to leave the bunks enclosed,,and have a drainplug or inspection port for drying.

.by NO means is any of this a criticism of Bendoo's work,,,but since he did a rigorous 'build to plan',,there might be others who can consider some of this feedback useful!

...so tomorrow it's portland,,,new keelgasket,,,and another adventure this time with 'Gladiator" and venerable sailmaker Kerry,,tuning tips,mehopes!!.....gottaloveroadtrips!! :rolleyes:

Noted; the water sloshing. Will come up with a simple fix; already begun with Gladiator and I think neatly solved.

I understand the downwind speed is Pleasing?

Noted; the water sloshing. Will come up with a simple fix; already begun with Gladiator and I think neatly solved.

I understand the downwind speed is Pleasing?

....already fixed,,,Ben kindly passed on all materials he had,including foil template,,so I chopped a peice of ensolite(part of my van matress) to fit between the plates on the keeltop and trunk-was BONE dry yesterday,,definitely a simple fix.

..and yes downhill speed is gooooood!,,in portland y'day,,seemed to have good speed with melges24's and tiger :rolleyes:

...hope y'had a good drive

No matter how we plan it, Gallup, New Mexico always seems to be where we get stuck. 5 hours home from there and Farmington and Durango are too close to make a stop worth it.

sounds like you and the boat have bonded. If you rename it, does the ceremony require Aquavit?

...sounds like you and the boat have bonded.

If you rename it, does the ceremony require Aquavit?

not 'bonded' till I get sticky with some epoxy,,,coming soon for a small companionway repair----building note.....be VERY wary that the spinnaker slides in and out the companionway,,keep all corners rounded and cover catchpointsinside the cabin,,on the deck,,up the mast-the spinnaker WILL find it!!

...Ben did good work,,and melikes the name!!

...what's the new deal on plans?-more accurate panels and bulkheads?

what's the price for plans?....templates???

....seems like there should maybe be a 'registration fee' for newby's like me??

I like the name "Carbon Offset" , too. I think you got a great boat.

Shape of the boat HAS NOT CHANGED. Plans include metric and yank measurement systems.

One Hull Shape. One HULL DESIGN. 800 pounds. build it and have fun.

Six deck configurations to support versions in existence already: [Cabin, Half Cabin, no cabin (rounded deck, flush deck, arch deck whatever ya wanna callit deck) and narrow and wide cockpit configurations. And one we don't talk about bastard version that was supposed to get thrown on a funeral pyre.

Panel measurement points are closer together in the generation two plans so it is almost impossible to screw up.

Or buy a kit. The majority of floaters in the US came from kits. Or have Watershed build one for you. Cheaper than you might imagine. My parole officer encourages you to keep me out of trouble. Call to talk to a Fleet Sales Representative.

Price for plans is cheap. One hunnerd Fifty; see the i550website for the rest of the patterns and prices.

Good idea about registration Fees couch-surfer-man! We will name them after you so people will honor your prescience.

T

T

Does an I14 rig work for the i550? I have a relatively recent CST14 mast, boom, mast cover, extra carbon tube and sleeve(to lengthen the mast about 18") and North Sails main and jib that I'm considering selling if it could be of use to somebody. If somebody is interested, feel free to PM me.

Cool project you guys! Another former U20 owner is watching intently to see how the boats turn out.

By the way the enclosed forward bunks with inspection ports is a nice touch - gives you a flat area to slip sails in to store overnight at weekend events - and if sealed it will keep the boat floating in a worst case situation.

U20 has that sealed forward bunk idea works great. I know its saved at least two boats from going down. One was an owner who forgot to dog down the keel and found him self rounded up with a keel sliding back into the hull- then a turtled boat. Never sunk but needed a V8 power boat and some creative thinking to get the boat back over.

The most recent was the U20 that got slammed in the Greenbay overnight race by that same wicked thunder storm front that took out the kids and owner on the 38footer with the wings. In that case the wind pinned them down for nearly an hour front bunk took a beating and sprung a leak and eventually filled but the aft locker under the cockpit remained sealed and the boat was recovered the next day floating ass up bow down - she was racing a week later showing non the less for wear.

So if its an easy tweak the flat sealed bunk idea is great - makes for slipping the sails in easier vs having to climb down and keep them from snagging stuff etc.

I like that all black wicked 550 thats been seen around RYC nice boat!

Does an I14 rig work for the i550? I have a relatively recent CST14 mast, boom, mast cover, extra carbon tube and sleeve(to lengthen the mast about 18") and North Sails main and jib that I'm considering selling if it could be of use to somebody. If somebody is interested, feel free to PM me.

Our CST i550 rigs are nearly identical in shape to the Bieker I-14 rig from ICE; the difference is in wall thickness. I think that the standard I-14 rig would need to be beefed up to deal with the extra weight of the i550 that it will be dragging around.

Since it is a CST 14 mast, Scott at CST would be able to tell you if it would work for the i550 since he has all the numbers on both rigs.

Please check out our radical specials for the rest of September (including inexpensive digital plan set upgrades and other great specials for the rest of the month at http://www.i550sportboat.com/).

Happy Sailing!

Tim and Susan

Watershed Sailboats

i550Watershed@yahoo.com

970-507-0428

now home from 9 day delivery of Catalina 38, purchased in san diego now at home in emeryville on the sf bay...for all of three weeks before heading out crusing\\

STOKED to catch up w/ Carbon Offset's progress.....glad you are enjoying it as much as I did.

Sailing a lead bomb is fun, but sailing an i550 is a BLAST!!!

best,

ben

now home from 9 day delivery of Catalina 38, purchased in san diego now at home in emeryville on the sf bay...for all of three weeks before heading out crusing\\

STOKED to catch up w/ Carbon Offset's progress.....glad you are enjoying it as much as I did.

Sailing a lead bomb is fun, but sailing an i550 is a BLAST!!!

best,ben

...good to see you're past the 'mourning' phase now that the 'replacement's come along!!

..Carbon's had some tinker's done through the week,,and soon to take a vancouver plan-holder out,,

,,then squamish tomorrow with a pair of builders,,it's fun to get out there,,

.......and 'stir-the-koolaide' :P

Dear mr. couch,

would love to get a tack by tack of the two day sails.

T

Dear mr. couch, would love to get a tack by tack of the two day sails.

...had a 'guest' out on saturday,,who'd been 'thinking' about a build,,,I didn't hear from him till today-kinda thought I had pissed him off!,,,,it turns out he's quite excited about 550's and looking to group-build with some friends--if that's any indication there'll be quite an acceleration of interest as boats hit the water,and the 'wait-n-see-ers' get out.

...didn't make squamish yet.

It's just talk at this point, but a midwestern group is serious about a series build from the Colorado shop. And no I won't tell who or where... yet.

Plan set #409 to Germany. A launch party in Croatia next.

...sounds like you and the boat have bonded..

not 'bonded' till I get sticky with some epoxy,,,

..finally did some 'bonding' with the little boat...sealed the fittings, and chopped the companionway a bit bigger,so I can actually slither down into the cabin when the keel's up!!

...had a bit of teak trim for the edging ,,much nicer than working with GRP

..Carbon's getting ready for a roadtrip to portland Oct 1/2,,,sailmaker kerry has signed-on as co-skipper,,still waiting to confirm a 3rd bloke(?)

...guess I'll put that NW prize together,,in years t'come there'll be feirce competition for the 'screaming mouse' :)

#412.Tasmania. two to go to the pallindrome.

There are at least half a dozen i550's in build stage in Tasmania. Two of the clubs have builds going. Check in with us we will stick a pin in the Google Map for your location and build status.

I've been asked about how many are in build: 80 plus, Which is about a one in five or 20% rate of plans to active building. We have no illusions that all will be built. For some it is a dream, others a planned build when the baby is out of diapers, some as soon as they find a job and a garage. Latest builder for a Spring 2012 launch is a High School Student on the West Coast for a Senior school project. The first build was done by a high school student. It's sort of funny that the "old man of the class" is about 23 years of age. We will not divulge the age of the oldest builder, they aren't saying.

For those thinking about an i550 but not having the inclination or time, there are builders in Australia, Europe and here in North America/Yankland ready to do a licensed build for pretty cheap. post-1820-055696400 1316536057_thumb.jpg

Watershed is putting together a price for a Hull, Keel and Rudder only, deal. You complete in your garage. thoughts?

No thoughts? c'mon this is Sailing Verbosity........ . . . . .. .. .. .. . .

OK, at what price does the i550 overcome your price point resistance as a ply/epoxy/glass hand built boat?

Some say the boat is an ugly duckling, is this a factor? For some I'd say yes, others no.

I think the one overriding reason is that building a boat is tough, requires persistence and is a big commitment: to Family, friends, garage space and all the other distractive activities available to us.

The boat does what it is supposed to very well for cheap. If all you gotta do is put on bought stuff like mast and hardware, at what price does the i550 get your notice?post-1820-098654700 1316818576_thumb.jpg

OK, at what price does the i550 overcome your price point resistance as a ply/epoxy/glass hand built boat?

Some say the boat is an ugly duckling, is this a factor? For some I'd say yes, others no.

I think the one overriding reason is that building a boat is tough, requires persistence and is a big commitment: to Family, friends, garage space and all the other distractive activities available to us.

The boat does what it is supposed to very well for cheap. If all you gotta do is put on bought stuff like mast and hardware, at what price does the i550 get your notice?post-1820-098654700 1316818576_thumb.jpg

Saturday is slow around here....could you elaborate on what you mean by a Hull Keel and Rudder only, deal? I cannot tell you how many people have said to me, looks like a lot of fun but I do not have time/space/skills/fill in the blank_____ to take on the project.

I think a woodie built upside down on a strong back frame (only practical if more than one is going to be built) with completed deck and taken to finish, white paint with a keel hung and a rudder hung could be offered at $16 to $17 K. this takes into consideration shop, heat, elect., ply, POX, fabric, headstay tang , chainplates, rudder pivot thingys, lead.

basic sails 2K, Aluminum rig and running stuff 3K, deck hardware 1K finish in your driveway. no labor cost + 6K and your time.

Trailer $1800

Same price point as the VX but I suspect that that will creep up after the initial subscription is satisfied.

5K less than the Open 5.70

I have been following this thread closely and might be interested in building one in a few years, the parts that I am concerned about building are the rudder and the keel. Maybe you could list the prices for more of the parts like these on the site.

Another idea is a kit with everything included (minus sails, engine?). With optional upgrades to carbon rig, etc..

I have been following this thread closely and might be interested in building one in a few years, the parts that I am concerned about building are the rudder and the keel. Maybe you could list the prices for more of the parts like these on the site.

Another idea is a kit with everything included (minus sails, engine?). With optional upgrades to carbon rig, etc..

we are working on just such a project and list of stuff. We've a couple requests to suppliers for multiple sets of parts (20 Mast sets) to see where the economy comes per part and feasibility.

Check in with us frequently, we offer cheap kits right now till the end of September.

OK campers, 3.5 shopping days left on our radical Sept. Specials on heaps of i550 choices. Whatchagonnado? Are you special or not? All you need to know is on our front page @:

www.i550sportboat.com/

Susan

Watershed

Gracie's October i550 Specials!

Princess Gracie the Dog, our new CEO has Mandated the October 2011 Specials ... They are on our website.

Check out our site, then email or call if you have questions.

CHEERS!

The WATERSHED ZOO

www.i550sportboat.com/

i550Watershed@yahoo.com

970-507-0428

post-1820-028893800 1317499123_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The CLASH OF TITANS is eminent. Bragging rights for the coming year will be decicded. Will Shazza ( why hot pink???? ) defeat the Trash Baby? Or will we have to put up with another year in a string of domination?

Recently the Cross Border contest in the Northwest was decided in favor of the Canuckistani, Couchsurfer, and the far traveled Carbon Offset sailing with a tin rig from something else and second hand sails.

Just got word of another i550 build started in Tasmania. That makes more than four and less than eight builds going on right now on the island. could one of you locals bring us up to speed??

Just got word of another i550 build started in Tasmania. That makes more than four and less than eight builds going on right now on the island. could one of you locals bring us up to speed??

And how many are the "PDX" design and will they be accepted as OD with the rest of the i550s down under??

Eight floaters and 13 total. That's a nice cluster.

Also reported is the arrival of 5 CST carbon i550 mast, boom, prod sets somewhere near Ballard in Seattle. We've already got 1 guy in Across-the-River Washington who wants to get four others to ante-up for the rig deal. CST is cutting HUGE deals on this i550 group build. Hell, it is worth getting the boat kit to justifyy getting such a great deal on the carbon rig.

So get the boat kit, ya lazy possuers. The kit is $500 dollars off till the end of October. Just do IT. Or have us build it for you. Any stage of completion.

Tim

i550watershed@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Plan set #420 is on its way to Bowie , Maryland. The Special is still on 'til the end of October. Best bang for the buck you'll likely ever get anywhere.

Sailing Anarchy has been the catalyst for the i550's growth. From seeing the pictures of Tokyo Trash Baby on the front page about four years ago to the present the number of boats has grown from 1 to 31 completed and sailing. The number may be higher. Every once in a while we get an email from someone with a photo and the note that the boat has been sailing all season. We do try to keep track of the active builds and number them at nearly 80. There is a nest of about half a dozen of them building in Tasmania.

Scot, Clean, et al, thanks for the continued exposure.

Plan set #420 is on its way to Bowie , Maryland.

Bowie? That's right down the street. Hope the plan set owner can be enticed into building!

Here's a little shout out to the Viper people...swiped from their forum, a rudder tower upgrade that should translate on to the i550 as well as it does the SnakeBoats. Might be overkill, I don't know but here is the rough-out.

tf

post-768-037654100 1319856511_thumb.jpg

Nice neat work, tf. I think reinforcement is a good idea. To date the problems seem to isolate in rudder head delams and hardware failure. The parallel upgrade might be to use a J22 -24 set of rudder hardware for peace of mind.

Guest One of Five

The 550's look awesome. Saw a woodie up in Jamestown that looks absolutely gorgeous. The guy building it is a sheer genius with ply. These are really cool boats. What's the portsmouth?

The 550's look awesome. Saw a woodie up in Jamestown that looks absolutely gorgeous. The guy building it is a sheer genius with ply. These are really cool boats. What's the portsmouth?

As far as a Portsmouth Yod Stick, I do not think we've gotten to that point yet...there have been

some predictions, but nuthin on paper of which I know.

So the PDX group has one more bulb to pour for the group of 5 build. We had a chunk of lead donated to the cause by a local plan holder in exchange for a bulb.

Who out there wants to get together and melt some lead and pour some bulbs??

All the details at:

i550na.org/forum/group-bulb-pour-portland-or

Gracie, Princess & Newly appointed CEO of Watershed THANKSGIVING SPECIAL

Full Size, Waterproof Tyvek building patterns for the i550. Cut from the same master templates used to create hull kits: usually $351.95 inside North America & $361.95 outside North America with Plan Set/Hull license (a $150 value) included for a flat $300USD. FOR the FIRST TIME EVER, CRAZY GRACIE is offering FREE SHIPPING anywhere. It will save you heaps of time lofting & you'll know the measurements are accurate. This offer is good until Midnight Nov. 24th (Yank Thanksgiving). So don't rush the mall on Black Friday, get yourself a dream in a box for your holiday gift to yourself or your sweetie. We can send you a paypal invoice, or email or call for other methods of payment.

Watershed Sailboats

www.i550sportboat.com

i550Watershed@yahoo.com

Tim: 970-507-0428

post-1820-059808000 1320791117_thumb.jpg

Please check out Tim's i550 Construction Guide, which continues in serial form at: http://www.i550.org/

Please ask questions or contribute your knowledge.

Tim & Susan

Watershed Sailboats

www.i550sportboat.com

i550Watershed@yahoo.com

Tim: 970-507-0428

"Recently the Cross Border contest in the Northwest was decided in favor of the Canuckistani, Couchsurfer, and the far traveled Carbon Offset sailing with a tin rig from something else and second hand sails." TF

Come on guys!!! I spend a few weeks sailing down the coast to Cabo and around to La Paz and check in and see the above.....I need details!!! what up!

Stoked to hear the Offset sails on! Congrats Couchsurfer!!

BTW a HUGE shout out of thanks to SLOWPOKE for showing up at the boat in SD and spending a long day driving me and my 2 boys all over the place, installing a propane cooking system, tracking down video games for the kids and generally helping us get underway.....props to the i550 community!!

Best to all,

(a much tanner) Ben

"Recently the Cross Border contest in the Northwest was decided in favor of the Canuckistani, Couchsurfer, and the far traveled Carbon Offset sailing with a tin rig from something else and second hand sails." TF

Come on guys!!! I spend a few weeks sailing down the coast to Cabo and around to La Paz and check in and see the above.....I need details!!! what up!

Stoked to hear the Offset sails on! Congrats Couchsurfer!!

BTW a HUGE shout out of thanks to SLOWPOKE for showing up at the boat in SD and spending a long day driving me and my 2 boys all over the place, installing a propane cooking system, tracking down video games for the kids and generally helping us get underway.....props to the i550 community!!

Best to all,

(a much tanner) Ben

I will not mention the jealousy and bitterness I experienced from having read your latest missive.^ ;) But, great to hear you are doing well, despite the unfortunate skin discoloration.

For the record, it was TR that said the above, not TF.

Mr. Doo,

Congrats on livin' the dream.

Now we pause for a Shameless Commerce Announcement (might be a good time to go get a beer) ... (notice there are only 3 dots there):

Special: Back by popular demand!

Gracie's digital plan set of the 100+ pages, sent via pdf for immediate gratification.

$100 USD. Available for a limited time only!

The same plans/hull license (8.5" x 11) we mail, that you can print out in the comfort of your own home.

Saves us time & materials, and they won't get stuck in customs forever. You need an email address that will handle about 12MB (any yahoo, gmail, hotmail or perhaps your local ISP isn't wimpy like ours.)

We can send you a Paypal invoice, or email or call us for other methods of payment. Also, we need your assurance that you promise not to share this digital document with anyone that's not involved directly with your build.

Drink the Koolaide!

Buy the Plans! Build the Boat!

Also: WATERSHED's CEO's Thanksgiving Special

(Less than a week away)

Gracie, Princess & Newly appointed CEO (Canine Economic Officer) of Watershed THANKSGIVING SPECIAL:

Full Size, Waterproof Tyvek building patterns for the i550. Cut from the same master templates used to create hull kits: usually $351.95 inside North America & $361.95 outside North America with Plan Set/Hull license (a $150 value) included for a flat $300USD. FOR the FIRST TIME EVER, CRAZY GRACIE is offering FREE SHIPPING anywhere. It will save you heaps of time lofting & you'll know the measurements are accurate. This offer is good until Midnight Nov. 24th (Yank Thanksgiving). So don't rush the mall on Black Friday, get yourself a dream in a box for your holiday gift to yourself or your sweetie. We can send you a Paypal invoice, or email or call for other methods of payment.

Tim & Susan

Watershed Sailboats

www.i550sportboat.com

970-507-0428

Tim Reiter

tn78_4c32102741330.jpeg

col9m.png

online.gif profile.gif

First Installment of construction guide has been sent to subscribers. If you

want it as well, send an email that just says "subscribe guide" to our

i550Watershed@yahoo.com address. It's currently at 4.2MB, just in case your inbox is overloaded.

CHEERS!

Susan & Tim

• 3 weeks later...

SO I'm looking for opinions about the various versions of i550's. Some believe that things like inboard rudders and flush or rounded decks are an advantage and I happen to believe they aren't. That while some things will make a boat better in some conditions, none of the various versions and options will not give you an overall advantage and so if all the various i550 versions met on a race course, it will still be how well you sail your boat that decides the line honors.

So what say you, experts of SA?

Carbon rig that much better on an i550 than a well done alloy rig?

Inboard rudder an advantage over the outboard versions?

The rounded deck the only way to go or will a cabin boat be just as competitive?

My thinking is that you build or have built the i550 that serves your needs and you will be just as competitive as the next guy.

SO I'm looking for opinions about the various versions of i550's. Some believe that things like inboard rudders and flush or rounded decks are an advantage and I happen to believe they aren't. That while some things will make a boat better in some conditions, none of the various versions and options will not give you an overall advantage and so if all the various i550 versions met on a race course, it will still be how well you sail your boat that decides the line honors.

The rounded deck the only way to go or will a cabin boat be just as competitive?

My thinking is that you build or have built the i550 that serves your needs and you will be just as competitive as the next guy.

Yep.

Yep.

Uh, Yep

So, we have a "Yep" (Meaning no one version will have a real class killing advantage) from one who has a rounded deck, carbon rig and one from someone who has a cabin boat with an alloy rig - OK now a combination alloy/ carbon rig.

Any comments about the conditions one or the other excels in or loses out to the other version or options in?

So, we have a "Yep" (Meaning no one version will have a real class killing advantage) from one who has a rounded deck, carbon rig and one from someone who has a cabin boat with an alloy rig - OK now a combination alloy/ carbon rig.

You know what, Joe? You’re right!

I took all the data from every race an i550 has ever competed in. The data was compiled from 251 different i550 regattas with an mean of 27.4 boats on the line for each regatta. The average number of races per regatta was 7.3. Then I took each variant of the i550 design and did linear regressions on each variation against all the aforementioned data points, looking for the conditional probability distribution for y, where y is the final standing of each design variant in the standings at the end of each regatta.

And you were right! After all the number crunching, the boats all finished with the same score, no matter what kind of rig it was carrying, horrifically expensive carbon fiber, or found-by-the-roadside abandoned Chrysler Buccaneer 18 metal squatty. Short cabin, long cabin, no cabin, fin keel, bulb keel, shoal-draft, twin-rudder, inboard rudder, porta-potty, foam-cored, ply-wood cored, roto-molded, whatevah!! Against the full range of wind conditions, too! It didn’t seem to make one lick of difference: ALL i550s ARE THE SAME.

I went one step farther. I figured, well hell, since all i550s are the same, maybe all 18 FOOT BOATS ARE THE SAME. So, I threw in some data from Ideal 18s and Precision 18s and NACRA 18s and what-have-you. Hell, I even threw in some 18-Footer regatta data.

And guess what? ALL 18 FOOT BOATS ARE THE SAME!!! I shit you not. It is an amazing, empirically demonstrated fact and I plan to publish these results in a peer-reviewed journal this spring. I’m very excited about this, as you can probably tell. But you figured it out first, so I’ll definitely give you a nod in the Acknowledgments section.

I took all the data from every race an i550 has ever competed in. The data was compiled from 251 different i550 regattas with an mean of 27.4 boats on the line for each regatta. The average number of races per regatta was 7.3. Then I took each variant of the i550 design and did linear regressions on each variation against all the aforementioned data points, looking for the conditional probability distribution for y, where y is the final standing of each design variant in the standings at the end of each regatta.

And you were right! After all the number crunching, the boats all finished with the same score, no matter what kind of rig it was carrying, horrifically expensive carbon fiber, or found-by-the-roadside abandoned Chrysler Buccaneer 18 metal squatty. Short cabin, long cabin, no cabin, fin keel, bulb keel, shoal-draft, twin-rudder, inboard rudder, porta-potty, foam-cored, ply-wood cored, roto-molded, whatevah!! Against the full range of wind conditions, too! It didn’t seem to make one lick of difference: ALL i550s ARE THE SAME.

I went one step farther. I figured, well hell, since all i550s are the same, maybe all 18 FOOT BOATS ARE THE SAME. So, I threw in some data from Ideal 18s and Precision 18s and NACRA 18s and what-have-you. Hell, I even threw in some 18-Footer regatta data.

And guess what? ALL 18 FOOT BOATS ARE THE SAME!!! I shit you not. It is an amazing, empirically demonstrated fact and I plan to publish these results in a peer-reviewed journal this spring. I’m very excited about this, as you can probably tell. But you figured it out first, so I’ll definitely give you a nod in the Acknowledgments section.

Reading comprehension issues Tim?

Never said they were all the same. It is the fact that they are all different, all personalized to what the builder wants, that makes it more fun and interesting as an emerging class. And we know that some seem to have an unfounded fear of those differences. All I am saying, and at least two who are actually sailing i550's have agreed, is that those differences won't make your boat or my boat or anyone else's boat uncompetitive in a fleet of the various configuations of rigs, cockpits and decks.

This coming Summer should see enough boats of all versions sailing and being able to come together and having close and exciting racing regardless of rounded or cabin deck, carbon or alloy rig and outboard or inboard rudder.

You know what, Joe? You're right!

And you were right! After all the number crunching, the boats all finished with the same score, no matter what kind of rig it was carrying, horrifically expensive carbon fiber, or found-by-the-roadside abandoned Chrysler Buccaneer 18 metal squatty. Short cabin, long cabin, no cabin, fin keel, bulb keel, shoal-draft, twin-rudder, inboard rudder, porta-potty, foam-cored, ply-wood cored, roto-molded, whatevah!! Against the full range of wind conditions, too! It didn't seem to make one lick of difference: ALL i550s ARE THE SAME.

And guess what? ALL 18 FOOT BOATS ARE THE SAME!!! I shit you not. It is an amazing, empirically demonstrated fact and I plan to publish these results in a peer-reviewed journal this spring. I'm very excited about this, as you can probably tell. But you figured it out first, so I'll definitely give you a nod in the Acknowledgments section.

Tim you are a legend ! Thank you for all your hard earned research results, I look forward to seeing your published results in the next edition of "Sailing Science and Kaos Mast Theory" :):):)

Off your meds this am?

Maybe you can actually get your boat in the water and demonstrate some of your theories. Or better yet help several others in your area to get boats out sailing so you have a fleet.

Oh crap, I forgot you just like to toss stones at those that are ACTUALLY getting boats finished and getting fleets formed.

Any comments about the conditions one or the other excels in or loses out to the other version or options in?

The Carbon rig is going to see a performance advantage over the alloy rig as wind strength increases. There will be little or no difference in light air (we have already seen that). As the wind strength increases the reduced weight aloft and the increased stiffness of the carbon rig is going to play a roll. Sail shape should be better over a wider wind range with the carbon rig. The carbon rig (at least the CST rigs) are specifically designed for the i550 and the sails are designed to the rig; a recycled alloy rig is going to have some compromise built into it. How much will this impact race results? Probably not as much as a bad start, but there will be some differences.

The Carbon rig is going to see a performance advantage over the alloy rig as wind strength increases. There will be little or no difference in light air (we have already seen that). As the wind strength increases the reduced weight aloft and the increased stiffness of the carbon rig is going to play a roll. Sail shape should be better over a wider wind range with the carbon rig. The carbon rig (at least the CST rigs) are specifically designed for the i550 and the sails are designed to the rig; a recycled alloy rig is going to have some compromise built into it. How much will this impact race results? Probably not as much as a bad start, but there will be some differences.

...although there's some performance differences between honed carbon,purpose built sails,and something scrapped together from people's cast-off's,,,methinks as you say,a bad start negates that...........and personally I think psychology plays a MUCH bigger role--who will feel more crushed?,the guy who get's beaten by a fully-honed mega$ 18' flat-bottomed boat,,or the 'bottomfeeder' who's got little invested?.......I guess I'll soon find out :unsure:

...I think in the end,that it will be seen that there's a much bigger variable in deck layout...the wide deck/long cabin really restricts a team's ability to move weight forwards and hike out

...I think in the end,that it will be seen that there's a much bigger variable in deck layout...the wide deck/long cabin really restricts a team's ability to move weight forwards and hike out

Yep... and to that end, there is still going to be no difference if the boat has a "house" or a "round cabin" or no cabin. It is all about the shape/size of the cockpit and side decks.

Off your meds this am?

Maybe you can actually get your boat in the water and demonstrate some of your theories. Or better yet help several others in your area to get boats out sailing so you have a fleet.

Oh crap, I forgot you just like to toss stones at those that are ACTUALLY getting boats finished and getting fleets formed.

Jeezis-criced, Eric, lighten up there, francis.

You know (or maybe you have forgotten) that I have been very supportive of the Portland builds, and have written so frequently, even here. You merely have to look back in this very same thread. [see posts #1101, 1119, 1159 for example]

And yeah, sorry, I haven't finished the boat yet...had a few health issues which kinda sorta threw me for a loop. Next time I start a boat project, I'll try not to get cancer :rolleyes:

As for tossing stones...you got me there, bro. I have no idea about what you're speaking. I've been into this project for a long time (longer than you) and just didn't want to see the boats get too far away from a well conceived, fairly rigid set of design constraints. I wouldn't exactly call that "tossing stones."

Have a great weekend, --tf

...the wide deck/long cabin really restricts a team's ability to move weight forwards and hike out

you just put the forward one or two crew legs out like we do on elliotts, wide deck facilitates that

tacking is a little more of a hassle is all