Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

Classic short hander "what happened to" question

I've been following the OP thread, and was interested in his comments re speed of OP vs previous generations.

In the Pacific Nakiri Daio was a major player in the early Melbourne Osakas - line in 2 and placed in another. A Farr boat from the mid 80s. Anyone know where it ended up? Anyone able to comment on speed vs current or previous generation Open 50s and 60s

I've been following the OP thread, and was interested in his comments re speed of OP vs previous generations.

In the Pacific Nakiri Daio was a major player in the early Melbourne Osakas - line in 2 and placed in another. A Farr boat from the mid 80s. Anyone know where it ended up? Anyone able to comment on speed vs current or previous generation Open 50s and 60s

Great boat Jono. Originally built by Marten Marine in AKL for the Nippon Ocean Racing Club and fully funded by a property developer from Tokyo called Shingo Nomura. Raced in the inaugural Osaka race (87) with Warwick "Commodore" Tomkins and Kaoru Ogimi. 2nd race was with Ross Field and ?? from Japan. Had a bit to do with the race prep for its first 2 Osaka races. All good guys who sailed it well. Mr Nomura was our guest aboard an earlier Sportscar to watch the start off St Kilda and later sent me a bunch of photos from the finish. Note the colour matched chopper in which to watch one's sponsored yacht take the gun. That was doing it in style back in '87.

Nominated dspl was 10,000kgs so not a real lightweight by todays standards. I seem to recall she was rolled in Bass Strait on the way to the 2nd (91) Osaka Race and needed a lot of repairs just to make the start. Looked for it when I was last in Osaka in 2003 but no one seemed to know where she had gone. Raika ex Tom McCalls Peacemaker was still there though.

post-449-1216355510_thumb.jpg

It was Jeff Scott with Ross.

Anyone know anything. I bet she'd still be quick, esp with a new keel.

Jono try giving Ray Hasler a call , he was around in those circles then and may be able to give you some direction