Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

Dubarry Boots soles died

My Dubarrys only get used for NZ winters. I had been noticing the soles were getting slippery. I did a 40 miler in the weekend and took the time to check the soles after the race. They were fully perished and split. There is only a 12 month warranty.

Should I expect more than 9 years use from the product? They have been well looked after but have done a few miles.....

My Dubarrys only get used for NZ winters. I had been noticing the soles were getting slippery. I did a 40 miler in the weekend and took the time to check the soles after the race. They were fully perished and split. There is only a 12 month warranty.

Should I expect more than 9 years use from the product? They have been well looked after but have done a few miles.....

Sorry to hear about your boots Jono. Mine did the same thing. The sole flopped completely off one of them. The other one had split as you describe. They were about six seasons old.

I didn't feel that they owed me anything as they had done a lot of miles, but it was an unceremonious ending when it flopped when you walked like a jandal.

It happened in in Dublin and I stupidly turned down an offer to get a replacement pair - they are a lot more expensive in Australia.

Same thing happened to an old pair of workboots (8 years) the other day.

Then there was the old garmin ski boot that disintegrated on the slope.

Plastic doesnt last forever, no matter what you pay for it.

9 years usage..

nah they don't owe you anything

I was told that Dubarry can and will stitch on a new sole, but was alos told it costs so much, takes so long and isn't always guaranteed to work

I find I cannot make a decent pair of sailng boots last more than three years.. but then again Im a lard arse whose very heavy on his feet

the question in my books is do you want to replace them? over that nine year period did youever look pityingly at someone going round with wet feet. whilst yours were snug, warm & dry?

If you do decide to replace them, then have a good look around, there are plenty of options and it may well be that you rfoot size is better suited toanother make of boot, such as Henri Lloyd, Musto or whoever

Hi All, This should be the thread of woe of Dubs that have died!

Here are some shotz of mine that did yeoman service for six or so seasons then died.

My rave on these is posted on the "offshore boots" thread further down this page and is worth a cruise through for others experience with various boots.

The question I still have is what's the most durable and reliable boot available in oz?

There are some magic lookin' boots available online overseas but getting the size right to order on line is a bit daunting for me, anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers, Jim :unsure:

post-24831-1216624478_thumb.jpg

post-24831-1216624524_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, it looks like I did ok.

For the record I'll replace like for like as I have a mate with an unused pair that were left behind at my place.....

And as they are a couple of years old, I'd better wear them before the soles perish!

Thanks all, it looks like I did ok.

For the record I'll replace like for like as I have a mate with an unused pair that were left behind at my place.....

And as they are a couple of years old, I'd better wear them before the soles perish!

Nine years is good, biggest killer of doobs is blokes big toenails, keep 'em short and you won't perforate the liner. They will re - line for about £65 uk and re - sole for a bit less, but post and packing will be expensive living stateside......

9 years - must've been some good funk buildup there. Spring for a new pair.

9 YEARS?!?!?!?! You should frame the bastards! DuBarry would love to know their foots last that long. Great advertising.

I'm just another tight Kiwi.

Besides, I run separate w/l, harbour and offshore kit. Therefore the offshore kit tends to last longer. And with the young kids, and business I don't get out so much anymore.....

Damn, mine are leaking after 2 1/2 years. :angry:

You can get them resoled in the US for $125. PM me if it helps. I can get you the info.

You can get them resoled in the US for $125. PM me if it helps. I can get you the info.

Iceman, many thanks for the hint and contacts.

Dubs sent off today to the Emerald Isle for resole and I will post the outcome on this thread when they get back to the land of Oz.

Cheers,

Jim B)

9 years seems pretty good.

But- I gotta pair of red wing steel toe work boots that are 25 years old. I've been to sea on tankers, tugboats, cleared land in them and done shit about 100 times tougher on them then ass sit on a sailboat. And they are still going strong. Maybe redwing should make some sailing boots.

I have a pair of hard worn Fabiano hiking boots that I bought in 1979. I would have to use both hands to count the number or resoles. But I do take good care of them.

As for 9 years for dubarrys -- I have a pair of Lloyds all leathers that i sliced a 1" long by halfway through slit in the toe in the first 15mins of use. Spinnaker tape now holds the "flap" closed until i find a piece of leather to glue on. Praying they last another year.

Pleased to report the new boots were christened in squalls to 40kn and driving rain. All good. The old ones may get a resole late in the year when a relative goes back to UK.

Hi All, This should be the thread of woe of Dubs that have died!

Here are some shotz of mine that did yeoman service for six or so seasons then died.

My rave on these is posted on the "offshore boots" thread further down this page and is worth a cruise through for others experience with various boots.

The question I still have is what's the most durable and reliable boot available in oz?

There are some magic lookin' boots available online overseas but getting the size right to order on line is a bit daunting for me, anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers, Jim :unsure:

that is is exactly what happened to mine

but these guys fixed it with a re-sole job for AUD$60.00 fitting deck shoe soles

there also re attatched the lining

The Cobblers Two

ph 07 3236 2593

but these guys fixed it with a re-sole job for AUD$60.00 fitting deck shoe soles

The Cobblers Two

ph 07 3236 2593

Hi Craig, I wish I had known that a few days ago. I have just despatched my Dubs to Ireland for a resole last Thursday! :blink: Bloody hell!!!!!!!! <_<

These blokes @ Cobblers Two must really know their craft. I think thats how they do it at Dubarrys as well.

Any chance of some pics on the repair job? I am going to post "before & after" shotz when I my boots back.

Hope others here in Oz read your thread it will certainly help them out!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi All, As I promised, a while back, here are some shotz of the Dubs that died and are now ARISEN!

I just got them back from Dubarry in the Emerald Isle and believe me they feel like new. New soles and foam compund and new internal soles and new goretex lining.

Yeah, it did cost me a heap in air frieght but the repair job was 90 EURO.

I consider the repair work done to be totally craftsman like and I am very satisfied with the service.

As Craig posted previously on this thread there are some blokes up in QLD who do the deed.

I am now a happy boot wearer and am having a rum with them on.

Ashot appears here, if I can get the 200k size right. See my previous posts for before shotz.

Cheers, Jim B)

post-24831-1221119002_thumb.jpg

I have a pair that is 9 years old and just started leaking a small amount. They have been religated to car washing duty and around the cans type of sailing while my new ones are used for offshore. Being that I was the Dubarry USA guy for some time I have seen sole failiars and the cause is always hard to pin down but becarefull where you store them, ozone from electrical devises does bad things to the rubber soles as does some chemicals. I use to never wear my boots off the boat but found the sloes would get really slippery after sailing for a few seasons on a Swan 45 with teak decks. I found that a regular scuffing on cement, not aspalt, did a great job at bringing the sticky rubber back to the surface. Use to use the none-skid on the foredeck hatch but some owners do not like you doing that ;-).

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for your post re the chemicals thay may affect the foam compound. As you have had close experience with Dubs I would appreciate your comments on the following.

My dubs were stowed in my seabag when not in use and the bag, made from kevlar/mylar sailcloth (the type the sailmakers donate as prizes) which I now realise is fairly airtight and has no ventilation.

In a previous life (grey funnel line) we had boots supplied from Naval Stores that the soles just fell to bits after a few hours (or less) wear. I happened to come across the manufacturer at a trade show and advised him of the problem.

His first question was "Were the boots packaged in the normal warehouse way on pallets wrapped up in plastic film?" Not being a stores type I said I would find out. He advised me that these synthetic soles needed to have air circulating around them. My report went into the black hole of higherachy and died.

Was I being fed a line re the need for ventilation when stored long periods?

I now store boots & shoes out of the seabag.

Cheers, Jim :huh:

There is a bootmaker/repairer in Edgecliff, Sydney that will re-sole Dubarrys as well.

Certainly deck shoes, as I have had 2 pairs done there, not sure about sea boots.

(I should stop wearing them everywhere, bloody soles wear out quick if used for general purpose footwear, but there just so damn comfortable)

I think you have had a better job done with a general repair with new inner, liner and gortex, by sending them back to the factory though.

If its just soles, try Edgecliff Shopping Centre. There just around from the CYCA on the main road.

Jim,

I have never heard of that but you never know. I wonder if the outgassing of the plastic in a sealed package may have something to do with this? Actually looking at you original pictures where the rubber has disintigrated is not the first I have seen like that. It seems that Dubarry had a bad batch of soles 7 or so years ago. Dubarry has since changed the soles on the boots but I old Ultimas have the same sole and still going strong. Dubarry blaimed this on UV exposure but there was something else going on and I saw a number of boots with that condition and as I said they all seemed to be around 7 years ago at this point. Not sure they will do much for you at this point but it may be worth a shot.

Cheers,

Jim

Leka, Thanks for the hint.

JimH, That 7 years back may be the clue. I bought these dubs new in 2000 and they were very good until the foam self destructed.

Looks like the bad batch of soles may have been the culptrit.

Cheers, Jim.

anyone of aberdonian descent in the above arguement ?

9 years out of boots ? bargain.

anyone of aberdonian descent in the above arguement ?

9 years out of boots ? bargain.

As a matter of fact my grand dad was from Aberdeen.................how did you guess.........och?.........aye!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3PiNyRXhM

Turn yer speakersup to 11!

Cheers,

Jim.

The Cobblers Two

ph 07 3236 2593

The finished job

his_hers_sole876.jpg

his_hers922.jpg

Hi Craig, Very nicely done. I am sure they will last the distance now.

BTW are those your red painted toenails in the top photo ....?

Or maybe the toenails of the photographer.......?

I know....cheap shot.......I just gave myself an uppercut!

Cheers,

Jim ;)

Even my girlfriend wears them! For stealth reason I disheaded her on the photo.

post-17796-1224410780_thumb.jpg