Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup

mlachance

The course sounds cool, but is there really a Chinese YC? :blink: On Orient Point? :o Why call it the Brooklyn Ocean Challenge?

Read the race history. This is a good race for a J29. Throw some flashlights on that thing and you're all set.

The course sounds cool, but is there really a Chinese YC? :blink: On Orient Point? :o Why call it the Brooklyn Ocean Challenge?

Sounds cool. I never heard of it before.

http://chineseyachtclub.com/bocchistory.html

The history of the esteemed Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup dates

back to 1904 in the administration of Roosevelt the first, when the

late William Randolph Hearst, then commodore of the Brooklyn

Yacht Club, donated a magnificent silver trophy for open ocean

racing to the prestigious Brooklyn Yacht Club. The first race, from

New York to Hampton Roads, Virginia, took place on June 29th

1905 and was won by the yawl, Tamerlane, of the New Rochelle

Yacht Club.

Mr. Hearst's ground rules provided that the first three-time winner

would acquire permanent possession of the trophy. However, when

Mr. Stuyvesant Wainwright won in 1920, 22 and 23 he elected to

deed perpetual ownership of the cup to the Brooklyn Yacht Club.

Thereupon he promptly celebrated by winning the cup again in

1924 with his sloop, Butterfly. The fifteenth and last race under

auspices of the Brooklyn Yacht Club was held in 1937.

For the next 17 years the cup was out of competition "on the

beach." Indeed it was reported lost or destroyed, along with other

famous trophies, in the American Yacht Club fire of 1952.

Fortunately, the reports turned out to be groundless, but they

received sufficient currency to raise the Brooklyn Ocean Challenge

Cup to a somewhat legendary level.

Actually it was safe in the possession of Mr. James M. Heatherton

of Shelter Island and the sole surviving member, officer and director

of the Brooklyn Yacht Club. In 1953 Mr. Heatherton deeded the

Cup to the Chinese Yacht Club located in Greenport, New York as

a perpetual trophy for long distance sailing races.

The Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup returned to competition as a

perpetual trophy under the auspices of the Chinese Yacht Club in

1954. The inaugural race was sailed over a 167 mile course from

Greenport to the Cleveland Ledge Light and back, and was won by

William Ziegler, Jr.'s Bounding Home.

It hasn't been raced for in over 30 years. It will be an overnight race starting and finishing in Greenport and going around Block Island. The distance is around 90 miles. Minimum boat size 26 feet, maximum handicap 185. Post race party in Greenport. The race is the week beofre the Whitebread, which is a big race on eastern Long Island, and there is discount docking ($200 for the week) provided by the Village of Greenport for baots doing both events. NOR will be out today or tomorrow.

I think the Chinese the yacht club is a "paper" yacht club setup decades ago for racing.

What is this "Whitebread, which is a big race on eastern Long Island" or are you referring to Rock2Rock?

The Whitebread is a 35 mile day race the second week of October starting in New Suffolk (Peconic Bay) and racing around Shelter Island. It drews over 100 boats and has a huge party afterwards with lots of food and beer and a live band. I think they're up to Whitebread XVI. See PBSA.net for details.

Rock2Rock is September 26, BOC is October 4 and White Bread is October 11.

Bring your boat to the eastern end of Long Island Sound and you get three great weeks of mid-distance racing. Dragon is going to do all three.

Read the race history. This is a good race for a J29. Throw some flashlights on that thing and you're all set.

Yeah it's a great race for a J/29 if it was on a trailer

• 2 weeks later...

Online entry is finally set up for the Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup. The race is a 90 mile overnight ocean race starting in Greenport, going around Block Island, and finishing at Bug Light, just outside Greenport. It starts at 4PM, Friday, October 3rd and should finish Saturday morning. There is a post race party in Mitchell Park in Greenport Saturday afternoon. The overall winner will have his name engraved on the 105 year old Brooklyn Challenge Cup, which was donated by William Randolph Hearst. This race is one week before the Whitebread. For those wishing to race both races there is discount dockage offered by the Village of Greenport ($200 flat fee for the week). Please forward this note to anyone you think might be interested. Minimum boat size 26'/ maximum handicap 185. In addition to a first to finish trophy , there are trophies in PHRF, IRC, and double handed divisions.

Lunatic Fringe will be there for both races. We pitched this years ago, and it's finally happening. There's a great group of people working to set this up, and it should be a great event. If you can, stay for Whitebread 15 - it's going to be another great race, and they've got a great band this year.

Having the option to dock in Greenport for the whole week between the BOCC and the Whitebread for a flat rate of $200. is a plus. I'm also impressed with the online entry system that the BOCC organizers are using. Easy to keep tabs on the entry list. It updates as soon as someone enters. Should be be a great event. Link to the BOCC is: http://chineseyachtclub.com/ Click on Event Registration to see the list of entries or to enter your own boat.

Mr. James M. Heatherton of Shelter Island and the sole surviving member, officer and director

of the Brooklyn Yacht Club.

And all this time I thought the Brooklyn Yacht Club was operating in a quaint location behind the sludge tanks of the NYC DEP's Coney Island Water Pollution Control Plant on Knapp St.

Brooklyn Yacht Club

We are considering doing it on the 105...

how many entries are reasonably expected?

There are 2 105 in already. I know of a couple of 109s that are definites, a Swan 42, a J122, a T10 and a bunch of others that are in but haven't registered yet. My guess? 25 to 30 boats. The last time this was run was in the 70s so we don't have much basis for an educated guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The race starts this Friday in Greenport Long Island at 4pm. The trip to Block Island and back is about 90 miles so boats should be finishing at dawn. 27 boats, including a Class 40 sailing doublehanded. Wind prediction is 20 knots from the west so it will be a fast run to Block. Getting back may take longer.

Looks like great weather for you guys.

I wish I was going!

I agree , wish i could go....

Prediction-

Jalacor

He got a super special rating for this race.

Gotta love an extra 8 sec a mile. I know of at least 2 boats that did not do this race b/c of the Eastern Long Island PHRF #'s They are a bit wacky.

I wish I was going!

Prediction-

Jalacor

Gotta love an extra 8 sec a mile. I know of at least 2 boats that did not do this race b/c of the Eastern Long Island PHRF #'s They are a bit wacky.

I guess winning 3 ALIR's at 57 means he needed an extra 8 seconds.

I wish I was going!

Prediction-

Jalacor

I think i get how they rate all boats out there now, we got 2nd overall twice in the vineyard and a 3rd overall and theylowered us 7-

I wish I was going!

Prediction-

Jalacor

I think i get how they rate all boats out there now, we got 2nd overall twice in the vineyard and a 3rd overall and theylowered us 7-

ELI doesn't handicap the Vineyard or the ALIR. The P in PHRF is for performance. I believe ELI's experience with this boat is limited to last year's Whitebread. They didn't do so well in that one. The average number according to USSA's PHRF website is in the 60s. I'm sure once ELI has some experience with this boat, it will make any adjustments necessary. These are volunteers trying to do their best to make it a fair contest.

I wish I was going!

Prediction-

Jalacor

ELI doesn't handicap the Vineyard or the ALIR. The P in PHRF is for performance. I believe ELI's experience with this boat is limited to last year's Whitebread. They didn't do so well in that one. The average number according to USSA's PHRF website is in the 60s. I'm sure once ELI has some experience with this boat, it will make any adjustments necessary. These are volunteers trying to do their best to make it a fair contest.

I hate it when people say " these are volunteers trying to do there best" line. Are there any paid people doing sailboat handicaping, for phrf?? these people can easily look to wlis, but they dont, b/c they think they know better.

that said go jalacor

I wish I was going!

Prediction-

Jalacor

I hate it when people say " these are volunteers trying to do there best" line. Are there any paid people doing sailboat handicaping, for phrf?? these people can easily look to wlis, but they dont, b/c they think they no better.

that said go jalacor

The reason there are different regions in PHRF is because sailing conditions differ in different areas. A Beneteau 40.7 for instance rates 42 in Northern California but 54 in LIS. Probably based on their experience. I hate it when people bitch and moan instead of volunteering.

WHAT A RACE !! 25 knot 40 mile, run to Block Island. The first to finish, Barleycorn, completed the 92 mile course in under 9 hours. Downwind start with 26 boats. Most boats expected to finish at dawn, but finished between 1 and 3 am. Got some sleep and heading for the party. Looks like the overall was won by a J105

The reason there are different regions in PHRF is because sailing conditions differ in different areas. A Beneteau 40.7 for instance rates 42 in Northern California but 54 in LIS. Probably based on their experience. I hate it when people bitch and moan instead of volunteering.

WTF?

we are the most eastern wlis club, the club 1/2 mile down the harbor from us is elis. about a 3 sec. difference. For rating local races area clubs seem to combine, divide by two, and then pull something out of their ass. One boat in two years had a 72 and a 87 in two local annual distance races with no boat changes.

Dont know why Jalacor would need any more time on a distance rating. Adjusting a rating on one race dosnt make any sense.

The start of the race was absolutely spectacular - downwind start going around a point with 25 knots of breeze. Lots of wipeouts, spinnakers blowing up, but we held it together. We made the run to the first mark on Block Island in approx 4 hours - totally amazing. We rounded 1 BI at around 9:30, and then had an upwind slog to the ruins. We did it in one tack, but took a beating. We were on the rail the entire time, but it paid off. We finished third in our class, and third overall for the race - not bad for a 30 yr old design racing against a Swan 42. They threw a great party today for the awards ceremony in Greenport.We finished the race at about 2 AM, and brought the boat back to Cutchogue to get ready for the Whitebread. Hope to see you all next weekend.

Let's hope that we get the same wind for next year.

WHAT A RACE !! 25 knot 40 mile, run to Block Island. The first to finish, Barleycorn, completed the 92 mile course in under 9 hours. Downwind start with 26 boats. Most boats expected to finish at dawn, but finished between 1 and 3 am. Got some sleep and heading for the party. Looks like the overall was won by a J105

No way, J105's don't plane!

One 105 told me they were hitting 16 knots regularly on the 40 mile rum. 3 of the 105s were among the leaders when we all reached Block for the turn to head back upwind. If they don't plane, their waterline must bea lot longer than they appear to be.

I wish I was going!

Prediction-

Jalacor

Jalacor was 4th in their division. Jibber Jabber won that division. Dark and Stormy (J105) won their division and the overall. Whitebread next week. Hope we have the same wind.

One 105 told me they were hitting 16 knots regularly on the 40 mile rum. 3 of the 105s were among the leaders when we all reached Block for the turn to head back upwind. If they don't plane, their waterline must bea lot longer than they appear to be.

Suprised the 105's did that well coming back upwind into the swell?

Suprised the 105's did that well coming back upwind into the swell?

They certainly lost ground upwind, but were able to hang on well enough that they had great results. Results should be posted later today. We're all still recovering from yesterday's party.

An absolutely spectacular race. One of the best, most scenic starts ever, and the fastest run to Block and back that we've done. Great race management too. What more can you possibly ask for?

Results attached.

-- Q

new boat speed record for us, 16.83kt (surfing, not planing). Per Commanders, went north of rhumb for more wind on return and reached fast home. great race and will be back next year to defend

An absolutely spectacular race. One of the best, most scenic starts ever, and the fastest run to Block and back that we've done. Great race management too. What more can you possibly ask for?

Results attached.

-- Q

new boat speed record for us, 16.83kt (surfing, not planing). Per Commanders, went north of rhumb for more wind on return and reached fast home. great race and will be back next year to defend

What kind of boat? Sounded like a fun race. Hopefully the whitebread will be as good, I've heard good things.

105s don't plane, but surfing down waves is a real blast!

anyways here's a video

. Nothing spectacular happens during this clip - just trying to give non-sailing friends a taste of racing. I apologize for the quality - this is the first time using the movie feature of a digital camera and first time posting to youtube
105s don't plane, but surfing down waves is a real blast!

anyways here's a video

. Nothing spectacular happens during this clip - just trying to give non-sailing friends a taste of racing. I apologize for the quality - this is the first time using the movie feature of a digital camera and first time posting to youtube

Nice video.

Don't know if I agree with the no planing stuff. I've done close to 20 knots on a 105.

Anyone else still feeling it from that race? My clock is all off. Fun race until the wind shit out one mile from the turning mark 1GI at Gardiners with 2 knots of current and less than 8 knots of breeze. Wish i could post our GPS track for the two hours it took us to go less tha a mile.

Anyone else still feeling it from that race? My clock is all off. Fun race until the wind shit out one mile from the turning mark 1GI at Gardiners with 2 knots of current and less than 8 knots of breeze. Wish i could post our GPS track for the two hours it took us to go less tha a mile.

What?! Be thankful you had 8 knots around here!

I think I was home in bed when the wind died.

nice little video. who has video of the start?

You know, Barleycorn did 92 miles in less than 9 hours, and you guys did it in about 10 hours. You sailed a great race, and no video will how exciting and how much fun it was. If next year is half as good it will be a great night. Was it daylight when that boat was toasting their finish? It was pretty dark at 2am. Nice job Dark and Stormy!!! See you at the Whitebread?

You know, Barleycorn did 92 miles in less than 9 hours, and you guys did it in about 10 hours. You sailed a great race, and no video will how exciting and how much fun it was. If next year is half as good it will be a great night. Was it daylight when that boat was toasting their finish? It was pretty dark at 2am. Nice job Dark and Stormy!!! See you at the Whitebread?

Whitebread sounds fun but DnS is heading to Larchmont on Fri for 3 weekends of OD racing

Thanks for rubbing it in. We were doing all we could just to keep the boat from sinking during the upwind leg. Water coming in from the anchor locker was finding a way into the boat; it was sloshing around above the floorboards .

Not to take anything away from the others, but what a great job J-105s, Dark and Stormy and Buckaroo, did. And the same goes for the Lunatic Fringe. If one combines the two big classes they came out on top:

post-7863-1223381215_thumb.jpg

Thanks for rubbing it in. We were doing all we could just to keep the boat from sinking during the upwind leg. Water coming in from the anchor locker was finding a way into the boat; it was sloshing around above the floorboards .

Not to take anything away from the others, but what a great job J-105s, Dark and Stormy and Buckaroo, did. And the same goes for the Lunatic Fringe. If one combines the two big classes they came out on top:

post-7863-1223381215_thumb.jpg

The 105's rocked, 'specially Dark N Stormy. We were quite properly spanked..... ah well.

A very fun race, very fun time and really nice atmosphere. I highly recommend it for next year

Whitebread sounds fun but DnS is heading to Larchmont on Fri for 3 weekends of OD racing

I'll be racing against you at Manhasset, but the Whitebread (even though it's PHRF) is way better than the Gearbuster (if that's what you're doing).

We were regularly hitting 14 knots on the run down to Block - sometimes faster on the backs of the big waves after Montauk. This was on an LS-10, which shouldn't be doing 14 knots. The keel was humming most of the time.

You weren't doing 14knts your speedo is wrong

We were regularly hitting 14 knots on the run down to Block - sometimes faster on the backs of the big waves after Montauk. This was on an LS-10, which shouldn't be doing 14 knots. The keel was humming most of the time.

Ttens can do 14kts, but the video does not like it was conditions for that speed. The boat will plane in 25-30 and surf before that in waves. But the keel really hum's and the boat needs a bretty rock steady crew piled aft in the cockpit.

Ttens can do 14kts, but the video does not like it was conditions for that speed. The boat will plane in 25-30 and surf before that in waves. But the keel really hum's and the boat needs a bretty rock steady crew piled aft in the cockpit.

No wonder why you guys close in on us in breeze downwind

Sorry to tell you, but they were certainly up there. On a Class 40 we were consistently above 13 and ocassionally up at 16, confirmed on two different speedos and matched to GPS ex-current impact. We were moving pretty well, but so were the 105s.

We were hitting 14 knots surfing down waves. We were seeing runs of about 30 - 40 seconds before we ran up the next wave. The 14 knot speed was SOG, from the GPS, not from the speedo, which was going faster. The video was from one of the only points in the race that I could at least stand up and take a look around. When we got outside of Montauk, the waves really got big, and that was were the big planning was. The keel was humming on the back of each wave. I wish I could have gotten more video, but it was dark, and upwind we were all on the rail for 5 hours.

We were hitting 14 knots surfing down waves. We were seeing runs of about 30 - 40 seconds before we ran up the next wave. The 14 knot speed was SOG, from the GPS, not from the speedo, which was going faster. The video was from one of the only points in the race that I could at least stand up and take a look around. When we got outside of Montauk, the waves really got big, and that was were the big planning was. The keel was humming on the back of each wave. I wish I could have gotten more video, but it was dark, and upwind we were all on the rail for 5 hours.

Bottom line Rob, is that you did 92 miles in 10 hours and 51 minutes which means you averaged 8 and a half. Since you couldn't do near that on the beat back, you had to be doing a lot more than that on the way there. 14 wouldn't surprise me at all. We hit 15.5 on the 109 and they don't plane either. It was kinda breezy on the way to Block. Good race. You guys did great.

Bottom line Rob, is that you did 92 miles in 10 hours and 51 minutes which means you averaged 8 and a half. Since you couldn't do near that on the beat back, you had to be doing a lot more than that on the way there. 14 wouldn't surprise me at all. We hit 15.5 on the 109 and they don't plane either. It was kinda breezy on the way to Block. Good race. You guys did great.

Faster then 8.5 knots on average:

post-7863-1223413046_thumb.jpg

Hey Dark N Stormy, congratulations on a really great race - you guys rock! G'luck at Larchmont

See you at Offsoundings in the Spring.

RockIt.

Great Job Mike and crew of Dark n Stormy. Well done MudHeads!

I would also like to congratulate the Dark n Stormy crew.

- Met them on the ferry ride over. They were a friendly bunch.

- Almost "met" them on their jybe just past the second mark. Again, they were gentlemen and displayed great boat handling.

- Almost met you at the finish again, even though we owed you 40 minutes...

Good on ya Dark n Stormy, ya bastards!

uuuuh, I was on a nonsuch 30 in the back of the fleet after a shit chicken gybe, hitting close to and over 12 knots over the bottom (1-1.5 knot current running with us) the whole run down, and yes, a T-10, or LS-10 in this case, can do 12 knots on a run w/o current and with these waves and current, it did fly at 14 knots over in those conditions. This observation was evidenced by the fact that they smoked us downwind and hung with the big guys the whole time, before I lost them at sunset heading to the SW end of BI. Simply amazing that race was. Join us for the Whitebread Espo.

What was the course at the start? After Bug light there is only Gardiner's Island before block...

Would love to do the Wbread, but Hampton VA is a long way from Peconic.

X-Pierce Yacht Basin boater - for you old guys...

What was the course at the start? After Bug light there is only Gardiner's Island before block...

After Bug Light, you had to honor 1GI (Gardiners Island) and then we went around Block counter clockwise (south side first). It was a 40 mile run is 25 knots. It was a beat back but it only required 1 tack. Some of the later finishing boats didn't have to tack at all.

Hey, if we can bring our boat from Boston to the Black Seal, you can surely make the trip for the Whitebread... ;)

• 10 months later...

Who's going this year? Last year e had 26 boats. This year, the race is a month away (Friday, October 2) and we have 16 boats already entered, including 2 mini transats. A great race from Eastern Long Island out to, and around Block Island and back to Greenport, overnight. For boats doing this race and the Whitebread, they can stay in downtown Greenport at Mitchell Park marina for $200 for the week. Check it out the race and the entry list at: greenportoceanrace.com