Radio Control Multihulls

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WHY THE FUCK HAVE YOU NOT TESTED THE BOAT IN YEARS YOU RETARDED PIECE OF SHIT?! SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THIS REPEATING YOURSELF, IN 2 WEEKS YOU WILL HAVE BEEN POSTING THE SAME VIDEO AND 2 IMAGES FO

That is one of the most ridiculous and uninformed statements you could have made!!

dude, Ian HATED you.  He, like dozens of other top sailors and designers, complained frequently to mods - including me - about you until it became obvious that Scot wouldn't ban people for being

Posted Images

I got radio controlled sailboat for xmas from my GF. Well sort of. I have to choose it she said. Any suggestions?

Either what Jim suggests or an RC Laser which is a great boat that I have a lot of time on. There aren't any rc multihulls under 48" that I would recommend though there are a couple discussed on the same forum Jim linked to.

I don't know anything about it. A well designed RC monohull is fun to sail and a blast to race. If you're interested in racing see what boat your nearest club is sailing and go for it.

Awe snap. It looked like it would do as good as a job sitting on its cradle in the living room (looking good) as out on the water. I am not a fan of the tacky styling of most of the others with ugly colored blobs all over them etc.

I know there is a RC multihull club 10 min from my house where we also take the dog for walks. I might go talk to them before settling on any design. That last foiling tri looks like it would go well there :D

Cruising?! A well designed multi is a blast-a heart pounding blast-with extraordinary speed. Mono racing can be very exciting and great fun . In either case a lot depends on if the people you sail with know the rules-rule ignorance can smash the fun factor real quickly....

So not racing-hands down the multi, racing-it's a toss up...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks promising. When you tried the UptiP foils, did you try two at once, or did you have a way to retract the windward foil? Two at once would have reduced leeway coupling on the lee board which would have reduced the effectiveness of both boards. Would you post a picture of those boards-I'd like to see them.

I'll bite...

Is the large pod at the forward crossbeam to hold electronics, batteries and servos? If so, wouldn't that be better placed in a more central or aft position given the tendency of multis to pitchpole? Will the trapeze ballast be auto/gyro controlled?

So, no more firearrow thingy? A few outings with short duration foiling and now no more?

For those of you interested in the Fire Arrow and the continuing analysis of the boat, you might be interested in the latest post here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-test-model-36058-129.html#post724164

There is a very high likelihood that a version of the Fire Arrow using the same mainfoil system, same ama foil system and same Two Stage Ama could be the first ever self-righting foiler.

post-30-0-18695800-1422990641_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-01541800-1422990756_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a new(to me) type of vang that I'm using on the D4Z AC 62RC prototype to get the boom as low as possible. It is too low for a normal vang to work. This thing rotates with the mast and when the turnbuckle behind the mast is tightened the aft end of the boom moves down. Lots of power-very simple:

post-30-0-96723600-1424036169_thumb.png

post-30-0-02572600-1424036285_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-59725200-1424036308_thumb.jpg

I got radio controlled sailboat for xmas from my GF. Well sort of. I have to choose it she said. Any suggestions?

Depends on how much money she has. I love my RC Laser

However I saw this and started drooling A VO 65 with furling genaker. They also have a VO 70 with a canting keel. (I wouldn't mind them both on the same RC hull) Of course it is out of my price range.

So like picking any boat find a hull shape and group of local racers or modelers and go have fun.

This video was posted previously but was accidentally deleted. These were advanced RC sailboat designs that were produced 15 years ago:

A new Mini 40 from Road Runner on the German forum. He calls the boat "Challenger No.1" . The boat can be taken apart for transport. He plans on experimenting with foils. Absolutely exquisite workmanship!

post-30-0-00570700-1425071355_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-64846400-1425071379_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-50484400-1425071404_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

See post 1234 for a $200+ version of the Skate and go to this link for a $900 all carbon*(I think) "Barracuda" version of the same boat albeit with a lot of improvements:

* UPDATE: According to the company the hulls and beams are still glass-not carbon.

http://www.stockmari...news=4600&art=3

I'll bite...

Is the large pod at the forward crossbeam to hold electronics, batteries and servos? If so, wouldn't that be better placed in a more central or aft position given the tendency of multis to pitchpole? Will the trapeze ballast be auto/gyro controlled?

So, no more firearrow thingy? A few outings with short duration foiling and now no more?

No, the pod is 100% watertight and with the Trapeze Ballast System there isn't any room aft. The Trapeze System is manually controlled by radio.

The Fire Arrow requires two people to sail and take video. My crew is a high school coach and won't be free again until sometime in March at the earliest and more likely April or May. Then we will get some great video since the boat worked nearly perfectly in the last video(July 24,2014). Only problem then was my over compensation on dual rate and expo which caused problems tacking. Impossible to adjust at the site because of the terrible "Touch Sensor" interface for radio programming.

I'll be able to test the cat and the experimental foils alone-the only question is if I can work out taking video while sailing the boat.

-------

More Fire Arrow video starting in the next month or so. And D4Z video relatively soon.......

===============

Fire Arrow foiling: (click on image)

post-30-0-45197000-1426098179.jpg

post-30-0-09804900-1426098218_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-56091200-1426098255_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-11406000-1426098465_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested to see how it goes without the t foil centerboard in over 10 knots, I have a feeling the drag reduction will be greater then the righting moment gained, even if you need to reef earlier to make up for the righting moment lost.

The mainfoil (wand controlled T-foil) is essential at any windspeed because not only does it allow the main hull to fly in very light air,it controls the angle of heel of the boat, the flying altitude of the main hull, and,with the rudder T-foil, it controls the ride angle of the ama foil and the pitch of the whole boat. A square or over square tri MUST have exceptional pitch authority because if the boat uses all the sail area it's capable of carrying upwind then it would be in trouble when it bears away or gybes because without the main foil it simply wouldn't have enough pitch control to handle the sail force.

SK, why don't you consider a smaller version of the Fire Arrow system -the concept model below is 12'LOA with a retractable gantry(about 13.5' when extended) and 170 sq.ft of SA on a 17' beam. Crew doesn't have to move much at all (but could). Numbers at this size look real good.

Planing main hull and amas like the 19 footer..... Pix 3 shows transport config-

post-30-0-54389600-1426206180_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-80679100-1426206204_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-69458600-1426206255_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-22798600-1426206335_thumb.jpg

Auto-controlled Movable Ballast System

When I first posted this I didn't realize the significance of the system design-it exactly matches the movement required with the angle of heel. So I'm going to try to contact this guy and discuss the system and it's application to my "Trapeze Power Ballast System" and to a canting keel system being developed by another guy.

This is what the German comment with the video says according to Google translate:
EOLISTE the company Obee -CAT . Since the model relatively quickly due to its small size tends to capsize , it is a Safe module , ie, an automatically controlled trim weight system equipped . This is a relatively safe driving is possible.
Professionals have the ability to override the automatic requirements of the Safe module manually.

Years ago I built some very small RC models-about 24"-in addition to numerous larger RC models. They sailed real well and I used an experimental paint system on them that worked very well. I used Partall wax and then poured PVA into the almost vertical mold and allowed the excess to drain into a special container so it could be reused. After about 45 minutes I sprayed the extremely glossy(and dry) PVA with off the shelf Krylon. Let it set up for no more than an hour and then carbonated the hull.
Came out beautifully! Much lighter than gel coat-it fact very, very light.
When they changed Krylon to "Fusion" I was concerned the system might not work but last night I laid up a hatch for the D4Z using the same process and this morning I pulled it and it was damn near perfect. I washed the PVA off the part and off the window glass "mold" and the turned the part so the gloss side was on the window glass so it would lay flat until I needed it. When I went to get the "perfect" part, it had somehow become stuck to the glass around the hinge area-not on the whole piece. Pulling it off made a mess around that area which has been repainted.
The moral of the story is that Resin Research slow epoxy works very well with Krylon "Fusion" but don't put the gloss side of a flat panel down on the mold surface for any reason.The gloss side was dry and so was the mold. I have no idea what happened-but I know how to avoid it.
So ,if you have a mold or a sheet of window glass for flat panels this will work with great results. Krylon "Fusion" works great with RR slow and is a simple way to add color with very little weight.

Here are some shots of the D4Z ( AC 55RC-the AC 45 of the AC62 RC class) main and rudder foils ready to fly. Extremely experimental " Curved Twisted Surface Piercing T-foils with iFlaps(intrinsic 15 degree flap for early takeoff)"--"Batfoils" for short. Mainfoils installed in the boat with a 10 degree angle-bottom outboard- which should allow the windward mainfoil to be clear of the water at about a 4 degree angle of heel-reducing radio requirements. Rudder foils installed vertical(at static) and rudder lifting foil is horizontal at a 10 degree angle of heel. Boat almost ready-another month..

post-30-0-94150300-1426977807_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-03537000-1426977822_thumb.jpg

The D4Z Trapeze Power Ballast System will allow the angle of heel to be controlled to keep the windward hydrofoil clear of the water. The ends of the rack are supported by thin line going to the mast. The whole rack pivots athwartship so that as the weight moves outboard the windward end becomes lower. The weight will slide side to side and fore and aft very quickly. The System is easily removed. The Trapeze system has the capability of doubling the righting moment of the boat.

post-30-0-02048000-1426978275_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-08683700-1426978289_thumb.jpg

The AC 62 is out for 2017! But the RC Americas Cup project is not dead-in fact this may be a good thing-we'll see.

Anybody interested in the Radio Controlled AC Cat is invited to make suggestions for the new boat. There are some things we know now: if they go with a 45 we won't go with a 45" model. We won't go with a boat designed and built under the Mini 40 or F48 rules though such a boat may be able to be converted to the new class. Two AC 55RC cats already exist. They were conceived of as "the AC 45 of the AC62RC class" and may wind up being THE AC RC class.

I'd like to hear anyones opinion. My enthusiasm has waned just a bit, but the fact remains we will have a Radio Controlled Foiling America's Cup Cat-and that is a great opportunity for anyone interested in technically sophisticated RC models. The same characteristics will be insisted upon: the boat will foil upwind, the boat will be able to gybe on foils. And tacking on foils is a target that may come with skill in sailing the new boat. Movable Ballast will be legal-the reason is that it can double the righting moment of the boat. Wings will be one design but, for a time, soft sails will be legal with an area restriction equivalent to the wing. Depending on the discussions we are having now, foil systems may or may not be one design. The idea is to allow new people to participate w/o having to be a foil or wing expert. Same with movable ballast systems.

The idea never has been to copy the full size boat but to develop a high performance RC cat worthy of being an America's Cup Class.

Speak and be heard or not.......

Why don't you finish the, still not working correctly, trimaran before getting your panties in a twist over what flavor of pseudo AC cat is correct?

All that bluster. All that hype and it still can't foil stably and consistently on all points of sail in a wide latitude of wind speeds. Seems that there are major problems to sort and that you have bailed with a partially done project.

Some of us are discussing aspects of the America's Cup RC Foiler Cat rule for the new boat-whatever the length. My suggestion is that we make the boat square-or at least make it possible for the boat to be square within the rule. On top of that the Trapeze Power Ballast System would extend outboard further*. And foil tips would extend past the maximum beam as well-as was the case with our AC 62RC rule. We need all the RM we can get. Comments?

* this needs more thought/discussion

What Chris O said:

Finish your current build and make all of us admire your effort (for once).

I want to see the red boat with red triangular sandwich box up front do its dance.....

You have gone so far - now show us your moves.

Leave the "quest" for a replicated AC RC class until the dust settles and order is restored in full sized land.

A suggestion has been made to go with 1/10th scale cats. I like it and that would mean 4.8' models(4' 9-5/8"or 1.46m)

post-30-0-00976700-1428025208_thumb.jpg

It's getting close to re-starting the Fire Arrow testing! From the original analysis on boatdesign:

--

I've posted a list of the history of the development of this boat with all the related videos on page 120, post 1787 http://www.boatdesig...-36058-120.html but I'm going to add another list and that is the things the worked the way they were supposed to-or better. The last video showed some major accomplishments of this design so far(updated 1/14/15):

---

A. The boat foiled in a 5 mph wind.There is more to it than that: the wind was so light that the main hull would not have flown without the main and rudder foil working perfectly-no chance!

--

B.The boat foiled in a 5mph wind at a weight of 21.13 lbs+ with just the main and jib. That is a major accomplishment because the main and jib have a combined sail area of 3390 sq.in. which is 160 sq.in/lb. The production RC foiler I designed 14+ years ago(F3) also foiled in a 5mph wind but she was 8lb with 1668sq.in. of sail or 208 sq.in. per lb.!

--

C. This boat foiled using two completely different altitude control systems-for the first time on any size trimaran anywhere, as far as I know:

a. The main hull uses a dual wand controlled flap equipped main foil to help the boat fly in light air(see "A" above!) and to add righting moment in stronger wind,

b. The amas used a refined version of UptiP foils, pioneered by Team New Zealand in AC34, for the very first time on any trimaran anywhere as of July 24th 2014! My design for the Fire Arrow foils attempted to create a foil that would require little or no adjustment while foiling while keeping the ama flying as the main foil unloaded and the boat sped up. There are pictures showing this actually happening-"A" and "B" below illustrate the ama flying before the main hull while keeping the ama at about the same altitude even when the main hull flew-so these UptiP foils worked under two completely different load and speed cases-can't get much better than that. I think that the ama foils may have to have their AOI(angle of incidence) adjusted down during high speed sailing but we'll see down the line. No adjustments were made to the ama foils while making the last video.

--

D) The foil configuration used by the Fire Arrow, as mentioned under altitude control systems above, is a one of a kind with tremendous advantages-particularly for an over square platform: thanks to the wand controlled main foil the boat will fly the main hull in very light air which would be impossible if one waited for the sail force from the rig to allow the main hull to fly. The significance of that is that the oversquare beam is not a hindrance to light air performance and adds tremendous righting moment in stronger wind due to the very wide platform. But, the main foil isn't finished yet: as the boat speeds up the main foil is unloaded but as soon as it is required the wand controlled foil will add righting moment to the boat equivalent to half the boats weight or more! It does this because as the apparent wind increases and the boat heels a little more the lee side wand reacts by raising the main foil flap and that causes immediate downforce(righting moment).

a. when the mainfoil is unloaded or creating downforce it "works with" the rudder foil in pitch control giving this platform tremendous resistance to pitch excursions compared to any other trimaran.Note that the induced drag due to lift from the main foil is eliminated as the foil unloads-reducing drag substantially.

b. the main and rudder foil together control the ride angle of the ama foil so that it is incapable of any sort of pitch reaction on its own-either up or down.

This was one of the things so evident in the video and one of the great successes of July 24th.

--------

This doesn't mean the boat was perfect in the last video-I, as well as a few others, have pointed out areas that need work. We haven't sailed in strong wind with the boat working this well and there is plenty of work to do. But I wanted to take a few minutes and point out the things that were successfully accomplished on July 24th, 2014.
Radio Controlled Americas Cup Foiling 4.8' Catamaran

Since the rules were just so dramatically changed for the full size boats AND since two of us have already built boats(as AC 55's from the previous thread) I wanted to come up with basic Rules that would be as close to the new rules as possible while allowing the two completed boats to be immediately legal. John Xman suggested length and beam done to a 1/10th scale. That worked well allowing the two completed boats to closely fit while maintaining the proportions of the full size boats.

AC4.8RC:

Length: 4.8'=57.625" (rounded)

Beam: 2.78'=33.375" (rounded)

Tentative rules based on my D4Z:

--movable ballast system legal and may exceed maximum beam-no restrictions,

-- foils may extend outside the maximum beam.

--rudders may be transom hung

--SA up to 1900sq"

--no channel restrictions

--no foil type restrictions

--no rig restrictions

===================

As far as I'm concerned that is the Basic set of rules until more boats are built and an excellent foiling system or systems are developed and proven.

-No boat built under these basic rules may later be disqualified or modified in any way by later rule changes.

My primary direction now will be to complete and foil my boat with three different foiling systems as well as experiment with the Trapeze Power Ballast System. I would imagine Jim in Australia will be doing similar development .

The idea and absolute requirement for a successful RC Americas Cup foiling cat is:

1-that it foils in light air,

2-that it foils upwind,

3-that it routinely gybes on foils,

4-that it is capable of sailing a triangular or windward/leeward course faster than any comparable size monohull.

These will be tough requirements to meet but are essential for future growth of the class.

The D4Z below is one of the first two AC4.8RC cats and is nearly complete and will be under constant development. Jim in Australia's prototype is under development but is sailing and has foiled for short bursts.

Attached Thumbnails

post-30-0-15648500-1428348901_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-33816600-1428348930_thumb.jpg

Built - but not sailed........

What's the point?

Show us your moves.

Have you considered that two creations that do not do as you claimed, reduces your credibility to drive the creation of a "new class"???????

The pressing need to create this "class" does not even exist, so focus on achieving your goals, and then maybe the interest will follow...........

Perhaps Douglas remembers his bombastic claim at some point in the development of the mysterious, Fire Arrow project, in which he claimed... "This boat will change the way people think about small trimaran performance" Well, I'm not so sure it has done that, actually, but it has left me with a rather uncomfortable feeling. Kinda like when my Grandmother asks me to drop by for a piece of my favorite lemon meringue pie and when I get there, the tin is empty and there are flies buzzing around.

That he has moved on to some catamaranish thingy, apparently abandoning the now orphaned "Burned-out Arrow" as one would chuck a still-born kitten off a bridge, says volumes about his boisterous claims.

Douglas....? Is there something terribly wrong with the concept of follow-through?

We all want to see this thing work as advertised, so, please.... how about finishing the tri and proving the claim?

Here is the first render I have seen of a fullsize AC 48-done by the editor of catsailingnews: Great inspiration for AC 4.8RC design ideas.

click-

post-30-0-49052500-1428621624_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

D4Z nearly ready for testing. The boat uses three RMG winches for sheets and movable ballast. These are very fast with a lot of grunt.

Side to side movement from center with two pounds of ballast should be about 1.5 seconds. Max F&A= about 1.5 seconds. Sheets should be very quick. 2100MAH,6.6v LiFE lithium battery should give about two hours of intense foiling with frequent use of the Trapeze Power Ballast System.

click for best view:

post-30-0-40952400-1430155865_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-38247900-1430155910_thumb.jpg

Just found these pictures-misfiled since last year. They may be of benefit to anyone considering a full flying ama UptiP foil since we know these work 100%. Designed flying altitude is about 3" below the ama bottom:

post-30-0-92459500-1430170187_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-01019000-1430170199_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-37840500-1430170291_thumb.jpg

Say Doug - just so you know, you don't need a high school kid to run the video cam. They make mounts that can mount a go-pro to your head. It might look a little odd sailing a RC boat wearing a helmet, but, sacrifices must be made.

It's a high school coach...... And his help is required to be able to sail the Fire Arrow. Late May-early June new video. The D4Z doesn't require two(I don't think) and there may be video sooner. But I sure appreciate the suggestion.

All hail the Queen of Excuses.... heretofore known within her realm as "I who have more shit with which to futz in order to create delays in fulfillment"

When there's only one qualified "helper" then everything can be blamed on said helper and in that mechanism, we have the promise of procrastination in marching spades.

After watching the video clips... I suggest that the task is menial, at best, and that, in fact, any high school kid COULD do this job forthwith. Better yet, there are dozens of high school kids who could show this HS coach what to do with a camera. All the rest is stalling and fear of failure.

From boatdesign here--find reference material at pages listed below: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-test-model-36058-136.html#post734934

The testing of the Fire Arrow is about to resume but the testing of the foils for the D4Z cat is also about to start. These unique "Curved Twisted Surface Piercing T-Foils" or Batfoils for short started out as an idea for what could be a simple replacement of the the main wand controlled foil on the Fire Arrow. That replacement foil may use a center section featuring an upside-down asymmetric section capable of generating downforce as the boat speeds up and pitches down.
But the concept of a surface piercing T-foil using the iFlap on each side is very unique and worth testing. IF the testing, soon to be done on the D4Z, works out then the Batfoil will have definite use on the Fire Arrow , particularly if the asymmetric section will work. The Batfoil, w/o asymmetrical section, has tremendous potential on a foiling cat where the foils are mounted with a 10 degree cant(bottom outboard) that allows the windward foil to fly clear of the water at just a 4 degree angle of heel!
More reading on the genesis of these foils:
1) p120, post 1795--the first incarnation of the idea,
--
2) p121, post 1803,
--
3) p123, post 1831- downforce!
--
4) p123, post 1837- downforce!
--
5) p125, post 1871
NOTE: each Batfoil is equipped with two iFlaps, one at each tip. The idea is to gradually reduce the iFlap area w/o impacting low windspeed takeoff significantly. The first mention and description of the iFlap is here, referring to the Fire Arrow ama foils-each equipped with one iFlap. Initial tests on the Fire Arrow ama foils showed that the iFlap worked perfectly in aiding low speed takeoff.
iFlap- p105, post 1561
============
Pictures, L to R, 1-4 Batfoils just pulled and roughed in from quickie mold showing the iFlap at each tip, 5-7 Batfoils finished and attached to D4Z daggerboard showing white flight waterline marks. Drooped "L" rudders are shown as well. Batfoils are twisted from zero degrees at center to +3+iFlap at each tip. They are installed on the daggerboard with the center at +3 degrees. The whole point of the twist and iFlap is allow early takeoff with no adjustment of the foil-100% automatic.

post-30-0-18134400-1430320376_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-04700400-1430320388_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-74630000-1430320399_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-94563200-1430320492_thumb.jpg

D4Z radio box elec finished. All winches and servo's are in main radio box except for side to side Trapeze Power Ballast System which is in sliding white box on center carbon tube. Very powerful dual rudder servos:

post-30-0-61089300-1430337032_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-41882700-1430337047_thumb.jpg

Yay!!!!

The Triangular Sandwich Box is complete - if you were to lose the yards of unnecessary wiring in there - you would be able to carry not one but two rounds of sandwiches in that thing. This is going to be important for all the long hours of testing and de-bugging that lie ahead.

So dougiE, what's your favourite choice of sandwich?

PB&J or is it Baloney?

Hang on, hold the front page, dougiE you must rename your boat.

New Name - "S.P.A.M." as in SPAM Sandwich.

It stands for "Sandwich Pod And Multihull"

Feel free to add whatever wacky capitalisation you can think of - this name is my gift to you; trademark it even when you go commercial.

I just ask that you are diligent in the spelling of the "SPAM Boat" - otherwise we could have the scenario whereby it is referred to as the SPAM Bot - and that wouldn't be good for marketing.

No; no need to say anything, you are most welcome.......

Radio box cover, hatch and mast step installed, all systems tested(sheet winch , F&A ballast winch, S to S ballast winch, dual rudder servo's ) . All that's left is running the winch lines and fitting the already complete rig:

post-30-0-82066600-1430774869_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-18541700-1430774882_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-55380900-1430774935_thumb.jpg

This video by Perth Mini 40 Man, shows a modified Skate trimaran and a one meter cat with wand controlled main foils (from about half way) :

D4Z/ AC 4.8RC finished and ready for rig test and pictures(platform+rig+foils) tomorrow if the wind is light enough.

post-30-0-55819400-1431280543_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-04328200-1431280557_thumb.jpg

2 weeks since the tease, you must have a good 5-6 sails in.

How's she go?

What's up at the top of the main, got a closeup?

D4Z with very experimental batfoils in place. The batfoils are surface piercing T-foils twisted from 0 degrees at center to +3 degrees at the tips. Each main foil also has an intrinsic 15 degree flap(iFlap) on each tip(whose area may be reduced in testing). The idea is to have low speed takeoff and reduced drag at higher speed. Because each main foil is canted bottom out 10 degrees it only requires a 4 degree angle of heel for the boat to fly the windward main foil, reducing drag a lot, automatically:

post-30-0-72285700-1431622476_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-23275100-1431622518_thumb.jpg

John Xman will produce a basic set of plans for an AC 4.8RC and will post them here:

http://www.rcgroups....=5#post31621028

AC 4.8RC:
Length: 4.8'=57.625"
Beam: 3.33'=40"
Tentative rules :
--movable ballast system legal and may exceed maximum beam-no restrictions,
-- foils may extend outside the maximum beam.
--rudders may be transom hung
--SA up to 1900sq"
--no channel restrictions
--no foil type restrictions
--no rig restrictions

• 2 weeks later...
Getting ready to resume Fire Arrow testing. Since last year the primary testing was in 5mph(4.34knots) or less and the boat did very well, this year will be done only in stronger wind. The original rig was designed to be reefable by rolling the bottom of the sail, but there is no need for that this year so I removed the lower panel. That allows a 20.5" section of the mast to be removed, lowers the CE of the rig and removes 598.5 sq.in. of sail area(4.16 sq.ft.). Total sail area last year was 3390 sq.in.(23.5 sq.ft.) and this year will be 2791.5 sq.in(19.4 sq.ft.).

That's an 18% reduction in total sail area.

The removed panel can be added back if required, but, from a testing perspective, I don't think it will be necessary.

-

The first picture shows the main reefed by rolling up the lower section and retaining it with velcro. The second picture shows the main reefed with the lower panel removed:

post-30-0-40148200-1432408496_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-29609300-1432408647_thumb.jpg

If you want to lower the CofG in that thing - take that ridiculous Pyramid off the top.

In fact, if you had a "normal rig" that didn't have so much leech twist - you could go smaller again and save even more weight, lower the CofE as well as the CofG.

Meanwhile, at the Indian Casino in Cabazon, CA, http://www.morongocasinoresort.com/ they are now taking bets at 100-1 that neither of these boats will ever be able to foil consistently or in control both upwind and down...

Disregard the fact that the casino is about 100 miles inland from the sea and that the Casino wagering boss has never been on a boat in his life.

You can, however, see David Cassidy in the ballroom later this month, so Doug ought to feel right at home in that environment. http://www.ticketmaster.com/david-cassidy-in-concert-cabazon-california-06-26-2015/event/09004E87D8F528C0?artistid=736525&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1&tm_link=venue_msg-0_09004E87D8F528C0

Oh good, a mast tip float that destroys the rig efficiency, raises the CofG, looks like it came from one of the seven dwarves wardrobe castoffs - but the water is too shallow to allow a turtle..........

Great reasoning and experimentation going on here then.

No consideration to the fact that turtled multis are both stable and demonstrate very low drift rates - allowing retrieval boats plenty of scope to go and fetch, whilst those propped up by their mast floats drift off DDW - whether that happens to be out to sea, traffic lane or beach.....

FiLL yA bOOTs.

Even though it is dead here.... the shit just never stops over at bd.net on this same topic. It's like Dougie is a near death auto immune patient who is presently on his 500th barfing scenario and simply has no capacity to step away and take a critical look at the stooopidity he has formulated.

Our guy, Gary Baigent, (Cox's Bay) has him perfectly figured out, though...

Rep: 506 Posts: 2,536
Silly, silly me. It's like flatulating against a volcanic eruption of horse defecation.

From whence does the relentless energy to puke originate?

And his help is required to be able to sail the Fire Arrow. Late May-early June new video. The D4Z doesn't require two(I don't think) and there may be video sooner.

The testing of the Fire Arrow is about to resume but the testing of the foils for the D4Z cat is also about to start.

So Doug, it's been enough time. Where is the video you promised? Where are the reports of the testing you have done. Surely you cannot keep coming up with excuses. I was reading on BD the debate as to how useful your models were compared with full size boats and the answer is very simple. Neither are any use at all sitting on shore. You can write as much as you like but without significant time on the water, all the work you have put in is totally pointless.

Gee, Simon-no kidding??! Who the hell are you to say "it's been enough time"!! You have no idea what you're talking about. It's been enough time when we start testing again......

Doug could you explain why you can't sail the models without a camera being there to catch all the narly foiling action.

Perhaps just learning the sailing characteristics of the thing could be a good idea - then after you've got that nailed get the camera rolling to fully analise it all.

Gee, Simon-no kidding??! Who the hell are you to say "it's been enough time"!! You have no idea what you're talking about. It's been enough time when we start testing again......

Dude you have posted a couple of times and haven't been for a sail in a while...

For a bit of comparison... I've been out twice this week, and it's the off season here