Record Cold and it's not winter yet?

flaps15

Was talking to my sister this morning and she said in Colorado Springs it was -12 last night. Various other areas of the west were reporting record cold as well. (Utah, Iowa, Montana) I'm pretty much in line with the Climate Change thing.....so what's happening? Solstice doesn't arrive for a week. Anyone?

Link

Another Link

Yet Another Link

Was talking to my sister this morning and she said in Colorado Springs it was -12 last night. Various other areas of the west were reporting record cold as well. (Utah, Iowa, Montana) I'm pretty much in line with the Climate Change thing.....so what's happening? Solstice doesn't arrive for a week. Anyone?

Link

Another Link

Yet Another Link

You do understand, don't you, that the kind of climate change people are worried about:

• Is measured in fractions of a degree, and
  • would cause some regions to become colder and others hotter?

Is the extent of the frontal flow to the south typical or abnormal?

I'm not a meteorologist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I wouldn't be qualified to answer that question. We're just kind of used to this stuff up here in Michigan.

For the climate change proponents/opponents to use this as proof or as part of a argument is pretty fucking silly to say the least.

What sucks is the layer of ice under the predicted snowfall, but like Shife said typical Midwest weather. Hey Sol F -- U :blink: bad enough my parents find it important to call me whenever it is nasty up here. :lol:

It's called a Arctic Cold Front. They kinda happen from time to time. Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Easy big fella, what I guess my point is, is that these are Record cold temperatures the likes of which have not been seen since the turn of the last century. (if you caught the link) If it was February, I wouldn't have even given it a glance. We all as sailors, watch the weather, some more than others. It's curious thats all, I was just looking for some insight.

What sucks is the layer of ice under the predicted snowfall, but like Shife said typical Midwest weather. Hey Sol F -- U :blink: bad enough my parents find it important to call me whenever it is nasty up here. :lol:

I'm hoping for a repeat of last year, when I did the Laud to KW race in shorts and t-shirt the whole way. Summers are hot, with little breeze, except during hurricanes. We pay our dues then.

It's called a Arctic Cold Front. They kinda happen from time to time. Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Last night it snowed down to 1200 ft in places along the coastal range here in California...

We'll get one or two cold blasts a year.. and they vary in coldness. But definitely noticeably colder than the average winter front.

As an example, it has snowed at sea level in San Francisco. Once back in the early 70s, that I recall. And there was a relatively heavy snow in the earlier part of the 20th century.. I do not know the exact year off the top of my head.

This latest cold front dropped hail (...also rare at sea level.. ) this morning on the leading edge of the weather front.. not as part of thunderstorms behind the front.

A more telling statistic on general weather pattern changes is noting our snowpack.

It has been down considerably over the last several decades, and it has not been as dry since records have been kept, (except during the realtively easily defined period of "drought" in the mid 70s)

I'm not a meteorologist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I wouldn't be qualified to answer that question. We're just kind of used to this stuff up here in Michigan.

For the climate change proponents/opponents to use this as proof or as part of a argument is pretty fucking silly to say the least.

Oh, without a doubt one should not take arbitary readings from multiply sources over short periods and extract long term scientific truth from them.

I'm hoping for a repeat of last year, when I did the Laud to KW race in shorts and t-shirt the whole way. Summers are hot, with little breeze, except during hurricanes. We pay our dues then.

I hear you snow melts as does ice - Hurricane damage doesn't go away with the seasons - Parents took a small hit from Charley. got off light compared to their neighbors a few miles north.

57 in Sou'east CT today; just winterized and covered two boats.

Warm enough for a huge Stone Masonry project being done as we speak. With all the Spanish and all that sand on my property, I bought some Tequila and working on the cat, making believe I am in the Dominican republic...Forecast is for sunshine later today... Ahhh Only a few months left til we are on the water again.

Last night it snowed down to 1200 ft in places along the coastal range here in California...

We'll get one or two cold blasts a year.. and they vary in coldness. But definitely noticeably colder than the average winter front.

As an example, it has snowed at sea level in San Francisco. Once back in the early 70s, that I recall. And there was a relatively heavy snow in the earlier part of the 20th century.. I do not know the exact year off the top of my head.

This latest cold front dropped hail (...also rare at sea level.. ) this morning on the leading edge of the weather front.. not as part of thunderstorms behind the front.

A more telling statistic on general weather pattern changes is noting our snowpack.

It has been down considerably over the last several decades, and it has not been as dry since records have been kept, (except during the realtively easily defined period of "drought" in the mid 70s)

Ever read Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast"?

He reported having to break ice off their drinking water on what

was later named either Alcatraz or Angel island

in the winter of 1835. They were there to gather firewood.

The islands were covered in trees then.

This of course does not change the fact that the current cold snap

is Al Gore's fault...

57 in Sou'east CT today; just winterized and covered two boats.

Warm enough for a huge Stone Masonry project being done as we speak. With all the Spanish and all that sand on my property, I bought some Tequila and working on the cat, making believe I am in the Dominican republic...Forecast is for sunshine later today... Ahhh Only a few months left til we are on the water again.

One more week and the days start getting longer.... Frostbite begins in March.

Ever read Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast"?

He reported having to break ice off their drinking water on what

was later named either Alcatraz or Angel island

in the winter of 1835. They were there to gather firewood.

The islands were covered in trees then.

This of course does not change the fact that the current cold snap

is Al Gore's fault...

Likely Angel Island.. since Alcatraz would have scant tress due to its size and geology (largely rock..hence the Eastwood flick's movie name and prison nickname: The Rock.. not to be confused with the wrestling star turned Hollywood action movie star, "The Rock," from Sol's neck of the woods)

And, alas... a good chunk of them thar trees on Angle Island burned to the ground a couple months ago.. likely it was Al Gore's fault in that it was during an unseasonably warm and dry spell and we've all grown complacent that it is "just global warming" and had not had fire fighting equipment at the fast and ready.

Or it could be that its because its been over a hundred years since "the earth shook and the sky burned" and we've grown complacent..

It hard work to keep up with the excuse making.

Regradless.. it was not quite cold enough for ice in an anchorage in SF Bay this morning.. which undoubtly means that Global Warming is NOT a crock and Al Gore is NOT a crook only looking to make a fortune on carbon credit cubits.

Link

Another Link

Yet Another Link

Of equal non-evidentiary anecdotally relevant but non scientific support of Climate Change, it was 65 degrees in Rhode Island today, which may have broken the record high for this date set in 1975. It is currently STILL 57 degrees which is just weird.

Neener neener.

Seriously - don't get wrapped around the axle on local variations - it's the long term trends and averages you are looking for, not the individual peaks, dips and data points. An unusually warm or an unusually cold day does not point one way or the other - a few months of unseasonably cold or warm weather down or up by an average of a few degrees is more telling. But you won't notice the AVERAGE.

One of the effects of Global Warming is the onset of extreme and unsusal weather. This means colder, more severe winters and longer, hotter summers.

Snow falling in Vegas and San Antonio is symptomatic of this.

Why do you guys laugh it off? In Jeff's case, I can understand it. If he waits long enough, Vegas will be ocean front property and he can go back to sailboat racing.

In Jeff's case, I can understand it. If he waits long enough, Vegas will be ocean front property and he can go back to sailboat racing.

I doubt that Jeff will ever "go back to sailboat racing".

After paying alimony, child support, and mortgage on two homes that he bought at the hight of the real estate bubble market, MajorMajot Nuts O'Bright hasn't got a pot to piss in or a porthole to throw it out.

Besides having his ass handed to him on the race course, why do you think that flyboy swallowed his anchor and had to sell his J-29?

OH MY GOD!!!!!! IT'S SNOWING!!!! IN DECEMBER!!!! IN MICHIGAN!!!! AHHHHH!!!!

SOMEBODY CALL AL GORE AND TELL HIM THAT GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE IS OBVIOUSLY A FABRICATION OF THE LOONEY LEFT WING!!!!!!!!

sorry. thought i'd get this thread back on track.

It seems some of you weren't paying attention when things like "sample size" was discussed in science class. If you think the brief-lived phenomena we call "weather" proves or disproves global warming (more correctly termed "climate change"), then you really need some remediation.

It seems some of you weren't paying attention when things like "sample size" was discussed in science class. If you think the brief-lived phenomena we call "weather" proves or disproves global warming (more correctly termed "climate change"), then you really need some remediation.

Work with me... I'm mocking, over here.

Note that in a mixture of water and ice, you can add enormous amounts of heat energy to the system without any observable change in temperature....

We live in a society that requires signs like this:

funny-sign-boards_49.jpg

I wouldn't count on basic physics getting through.

I don't get that?

If Dec 21 is the shortest day of the year shouldn't that be the middle of winter because every day after that we are getting closer to spring and longer warmer days??

Hey, I'm still trying to work out why August is dang hot when the longest day is in June. One thing at a time.

Fuck, it got to 38 here today. That's a 48 degree increase from just last weekend. If we continue this trend, I'll be really worried bout GW. The only hope I have is that they are predicting it to get back to 16 tomorrow. Oh Gawd I hope so.

Went to squegee off the Nurse's car windows this morning and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go clear. ICE, g-damn ice on them. Top of the truck had a 3/16" layer of the nasty shit and all the roofs on my street were white. And 38 degrees to boot. Screw this shit, where's July?...........

• 2 weeks later...

The Gore effect

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gore+Effect

1. Gore Effect 1549 up, 231 down

The phenomenon that leads to unseasonably cold temperatures, driving rain, hail, or snow whenever Al Gore visits an area to discuss global warming. Hence, the Gore Effect.

put me in the -"I BLAME aL gORE "camp since as we all know politicians now control every aspect of our lives and existance on the planet --{or so some believe or wish it to be so. }

Just when you think things can't get much worse in MI { Mi has been in a single state recession the last 5 years --now combined with a national recession , it has lost population again which is an amazing stat given the rate of births in the nation , and now 400,000 are without electricity --heat water etc .

We drove the kids to relatives that still had heat and spent last evening next to the fireplace { about 25 degrees inside the house } --the only good thing is nothing in the fridge went bad as it was colder in the house than in the fridge .

The power is on here at the office again ,-- not sure how long it will take to restore it to 400,000 cold homes without water heat etc .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473456,00.html

413,000 Michigan Homes in Dark, Flood Waters Rise

Global warming hit Northern MIchigan Saturday... rained all day.... Of course, it could've just been a warm front... something Gorithians probably don't like to hear.

Archived