Wind conditions for this years Key West

JimB

It would be nice if wind conditions for each day were posted along with the daily results. Is there someplace on the Key West website that reports wind? If not anybody know what the conditions were like this year? I am especially interested in Thursday and Friday.

it was #2 conditions all week, aside from a couple races where the #3 made sense; mostly due to the squall and maybe one other race. Probably averages out to 12-17 for the week. A couple lulls lower, and definitely some puffs higher earlier in the week.

Thursday and friday ranged from 9-17, but mostly 12-16.

It would be nice if wind conditions for each day were posted along with the daily results. Is there someplace on the Key West website that reports wind? If not anybody know what the conditions were like this year? I am especially interested in Thursday and Friday.

I had to hunt to find the Boat of the Day/Week winners too.

Best coverage was on Sailing Anarchy's "On the Water Anarchy".

Each morning a summary of conditions were posted, and there were updates sent from the PR bloggers throughout the day.

Plus there are also some discount deals given from the OTWA sponsors that you might want to take advantage of.

It would be nice if wind conditions for each day were posted along with the daily results. Is there someplace on the Key West website that reports wind?

Wind and water tends to vary a bit from circle to circle, check the blogs on the premiere racing site for full conditions for eacg day.

it was #2 conditions all week, aside from a couple races where the #3 made sense; mostly due to the squall and maybe one other race. Probably averages out to 12-17 for the week. A couple lulls lower, and definitely some puffs higher earlier in the week.

Thursday and friday ranged from 9-17, but mostly 12-16.

Thanks for the info. The reason I was interested is I purchased a B25 last summer and as luck would have it I did not get to experience what the boat can do in the 12 plus wind range. The B25 in PHRF 4 did well comming in third behind 2 S2 9.1s and finishing ahead of the J24 Blah Blah Blah who competes at Key West almost every year.

Last summer I did reasonably well in under 10 knots with the B often finishing in the top three amoungst a big fleet of Martin 242s. The only time last summer we had good breeze I managed to be else where not sailboat racing. Can't wait for my first 15-20 knot wind race.

We have an interesting fleet here. 10 soon to be 12 Martin 242s, 2 J24s, 3 S2 7.9s, 1 Olson 25, 1 J 80 and my B25. The martin fleet exploded from 4 to 10 last summer and had I known that was going to happen I would have considered a Martin to be part of the fleet. The Martin 242 is a decent PHRF boat but after sailing a number of them I can honestly say I prefer the B25 in all aspects except they are hard for the B25 to beat in light and medium light breeze. In my opinion the B25 is far better balanced, has a much nicer deck and of course can be rigged and trailered much easier. I can't wait to take our Martins on in a big breeze.

Ok now you can roast me for my decision to own the B25, (Leif Bailey design). I do own Hull number 10 which I have been told the first 10 and the last 10 hulls were better performers.

Thanks for the info. The reason I was interested is I purchased a B25 last summer and as luck would have it I did not get to experience what the boat can do in the 12 plus wind range. The B25 in PHRF 4 did well comming in third behind 2 S2 9.1s and finishing ahead of the J24 Blah Blah Blah who competes at Key West almost every year.

Last summer I did reasonably well in under 10 knots with the B often finishing in the top three amoungst a big fleet of Martin 242s. The only time last summer we had good breeze I managed to be else where not sailboat racing. Can't wait for my first 15-20 knot wind race.

We have an interesting fleet here. 10 soon to be 12 Martin 242s, 2 J24s, 3 S2 7.9s, 1 Olson 25, 1 J 80 and my B25. The martin fleet exploded from 4 to 10 last summer and had I known that was going to happen I would have considered a Martin to be part of the fleet. The Martin 242 is a decent PHRF boat but after sailing a number of them I can honestly say I prefer the B25 in all aspects except they are hard for the B25 to beat in light and medium light breeze. In my opinion the B25 is far better balanced, has a much nicer deck and of course can be rigged and trailered much easier. I can't wait to take our Martins on in a big breeze.

Ok now you can roast me for my decision to own the B25, (Leif Bailey design). I do own Hull number 10 which I have been told the first 10 and the last 10 hulls were better performers.

I raced a B25 in KW... something like 16 yrs ago.... and, I know Leif (what a character!)

I think that it all comes down to the rating, and class rating bracket. The boat can definitely compete given the right situations. The problem with the Bailey designs are a high center of effort. In big winds, they capsize and can take a while to right... (as was our case in the St.Pete fall regatta in '95 in a B32). Good luck with your racing!!! Investigate a mast head spin option... (depending on your PHRF hit)

Archived