Somerset Sails

flyguy1967

Looking to order some sails from Somerset Sails, a loft in upstate NY, and wondering if anyone has had any experience with their sails. Martin seemed like a great guy over the phone and very helpful but because I live accross the county, wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

Martin is the only way to go if you are doing club level racing. He has been our sail maker for years and we have won a lot of races with his sails on Powder Hound. PM me if you need more info.

--/Go Pens

thats because of your rating not yours sails

I bought a main for my CAL 25 and it came without slides to attach it to the mast. I shipped it back and he did a hlaf ass job adding them. I ripped three of them off the first time the sail was up. I took it to my North guy and he re-attached all of them properly. I guess quality control isn't a big thing for him.

Martin is the only way to go if you are doing club level racing. He has been our sail maker for years and we have won a lot of races with his sails on Powder Hound. PM me if you need more info.

--/Go Pens

LOL. I was thinking of buying your J 27 until now:-)

--/Go Pens

Looking to order some sails from Somerset Sails, a loft in upstate NY, and wondering if anyone has had any experience with their sails. Martin seemed like a great guy over the phone and very helpful but because I live accross the county, wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

While you are at it get a quote from Lee Sailmakers, Hong Kong Sailmakers, Mack Sails and maybe JSI or what ever they are now. My point is, you pay for what you get. I guess you are at least buying American. ......

Main had headboard pull out, two of three grommets did not actually go through any cloth, which explained why it was 8in longer than required. He blamed his new employee. Tack pulled out in race three, clew pulled out in race 6. Bolt rope pulled out as it was not actually attached at the bottom just stuck in the slot, ripped three sail slugs out in the process. Wrong slugs were supplied with the sail 1st attempt. Was returned twice to the loft for repair, needs a third trip.

These were dacron sails on a 40' boat, yes he was 1/2 the price of a Harrstik quote.

He has been very good about making repairs and warranty work. Others in my club have had mixed results. His dog Milo is very cute.

--/Go Pens

LOL. I was thinking of buying your J 27 until now:-)

--/Go Pens

Sorry, could not resist

Main had headboard pull out, two of three grommets did not actually go through any cloth, which explained why it was 8in longer than required. He blamed his new employee. Tack pulled out in race three, clew pulled out in race 6. Bolt rope pulled out as it was not actually attached at the bottom just stuck in the slot, ripped three sail slugs out in the process. Wrong slugs were supplied with the sail 1st attempt. Was returned twice to the loft for repair, needs a third trip.

These were dacron sails on a 40' boat, yes he was 1/2 the price of a Harrstik quote.

He has been very good about making repairs and warranty work. Others in my club have had mixed results. His dog Milo is very cute.

Can I con you into being my quality control officer? There's a case of good beer in it for ya!

Can I con you into being my quality control officer? There's a case of good beer in it for ya!

as someone from toronto who spent a bit of time in the pnw i can guarantee that they dont have 'good beer'.

as someone from toronto who spent a bit of time in the pnw i can guarantee that they dont have 'good beer'.

Then the offer just got a little sweeter if I send a case fomr the PNW!

When you have a whole fleet of those sails

and everybody tries to trim.

The lousy sailors

won't always get 'em trimmed right

but

Somerset sails

Archived