Circumnavigatin of Tassie

Ozee Adventure

Seriously envious. When we finally get enough time to get away from Sydney for longer than a few weeks at a time thats where I'm headed. Tassie has to be one of the great undiscovered (relatively speaking) cruising grounds on this planet.

You sailed from Hobart I presume ? Heading north by the looks of it. Do you / Did you stop in Wineglass ?

Keep posting the updates please.

Oh yes...and enjoy.

ps - funnily enough while I presumed from the moniker that you are Australian I thought you were in the Americas and going for a cruise there. Or am I still confused ?

Seriously envious. When we finally get enough time to get away from Sydney for longer than a few weeks at a time thats where I'm headed. Tassie has to be one of the great undiscovered (relatively speaking) cruising grounds on this planet.

You sailed from Hobart I presume ? Heading north by the looks of it. Do you / Did you stop in Wineglass ?

Oh yes...and enjoy.

ps - funnily enough while I presumed from the moniker that you are Australian I thought you were in the Americas and going for a cruise there. Or am I still confused ?

Hobart is one of my favorite towns, any place that has a path called Nanny Goat lane has to be OK. The path was straight up a great Jesus hill dam near blew a gasket walking up it. But make sure you smear your self with +50 sunscreen never been burnt so fast in my life.

Pal

Oh yes...and enjoy.

Hobart is one of my favorite towns, any place that has a path called Nanny Goat lane has to be OK. The path was straight up a great Jesus hill dam near blew a gasket walking up it. But make sure you smear your self with +50 sunscreen never been burnt so fast in my life.

Pal

Fabulous place. Yeppers re the sunscreen......last time we were down there we hired a convertable......hmmmm.......perhaps not next time....

Did you know that apparently Tasmania has the highest number of second book stores per head of population of any place on the planet ? Not too mention great beer, fabulous food and a population of less than 1/4 million in a harbourside city. What's not to like. OK so its not a tropical climate but in reality its a pretty mild climate overall. Put it this way , it's not so cold you need to pull you boat out of water every winter.

post-23213-1234473480_thumb.jpg

12/2/09 Port Arthur-Maria Island

Yes I'm an Aussie accordingg to a piece of paper - I'm imported from Uk via Saudi

Smoother run today didn't loose my lunch! Av 24 knots with 1-2 metre sea.

We went around the outside of Tasman as none of us had done the inside before - the locals went thru the gap tho. Some spectacular but scary looking lee shores!

Discovered the practical joy of wearing thin thermal gloves under the washing up gloves - water proof & you can work in them - I'm sure I read that on Anarchy!

Have had the camera banned when I'm on helm so we don't have any Asian Diplomatic incidents (Chinese Gybe) when I get excited about something! Means I can't show you the seals!

More dolphins today playing under he bow at speed - I could actually hear them which I don't remember happening before - once I realised what it was I'm sure I actually heard them when I was IN the boat.

The bay looks tropical but the water temp is only 14 degrees!

Thoughts fleece neck rolls are a very good thing - metal earrings get quite cold!

Coming out of Chinamans pristine water can see everything on the bottom in 6.6m of water :o

post-23213-1234559410_thumb.jpgpost-23213-1234559338_thumb.jpg

3/2/09 Oyster Bay to Schouten Island

No wind - motor sailed this short trip. In by lunch time & blew up new tender. Onto the beach for a walk - some swam - water temp 16! Again pristine waters - can see the bottom at 14 meters - amazing!

Started the book for the hols - head in a PD James, my Longditude book has been taken already. The boys did fry pan jaffles for lunch which were pretty good - they have been playing up that the menu is decidedly healthy & they will be loosing weight!

Sqid fishing in progress

post-23213-1234559410_thumb.jpgpost-23213-1234559338_thumb.jpg

3/2/09 Oyster Bay to Schouten Island

No wind - motor sailed this short trip. In by lunch time & blew up new tender. Onto the beach for a walk - some swam - water temp 16! Again pristine waters - can see the bottom at 14 meters - amazing!

Started the book for the hols - head in a PD James, my Longditude book has been taken already. The boys did fry pan jaffles for lunch which were pretty good - they have been playing up that the menu is decidedly healthy & they will be loosing weight!

Squid fishing in progress

I was amazed at how shallow that whole coastline is up the east side. we anchored one night in Crocketts Bay with a few Syd Hob boats going back, along with the Race Communications trawler and a Police boat. We were all in the lee of the island while it blew like stink with horizontal rain. Almost the entire fleet of boats in the bay were yawing around and dragged their anchors. Needless to say we had the stand watches that night to make sure we weren't clobbered by someone.

Isn't that entire coastline incredible? Wine Glass bay on the port side as you get towards the beach is a great anchorage with a welcoming pod of dolphins. I think I took at least 100 pics in Port Arthur alone.

We took the short cut inside Tasman Island with Berrimilla ( :( ) that 4 days later lost it's rig when it was rolled in the Bass Strait. Here's some pics of her leaping over some short and nasty standing waves in there (wind against current). There's quite a current running. Outside is certainly more peaceful.

post-5483-1234561265_thumb.jpgpost-5483-1234561274_thumb.jpgpost-5483-1234561284_thumb.jpgpost-5483-1234561295_thumb.jpg

post-23213-1234653398_thumb.jpgpost-23213-1234653371_thumb.jpg post-23213-1234653327_thumb.jpg

Stayed at the island anther day - out & about for walks on the beach (hand in hand on Valentines day!!!).

Cooked up some soup as a just-in-case fast meal as we head for at least one long day.

Ironing out little things on the boat... motor wouldn't start on batt 1 alone so we've narrowed it down to leaving the fridge on unintentionally or we have now used the motor enough to raise the charge level held (I'm sure there is a boys terminology for that); taken the fine tuner off the main sheet.

I have under guestimated the amount of metho I'm using to cook the big meals & we have some more now, I also under guessed the amount of bread we would use. No biggy I'll just adjust Other boats have just ice for refrigeration & have had bread go mouldy in the 3 days we've been out

All of the fleet met on Bryant's/Passage Beach for a BBQ in the evening - 4 boats are carrying big BBQ's & gas the rest was BYO & take your turn

Boats that are with us include:

Farr 40 IOR

Salar 40 x 3

Adams 12

Converted Cray Boat 9.6m

Nordhavn 55

Adams Radford 17.3m

Motor catamaran 13m

Van de Stadt Orca/Dehler/Agari

Most boats are from Tas with Qld/WA/NSW represented & New Zealand (Hallberg Rassey 382) & the states (Custom Avatar 52) have a boat in too.

Just off Bicheno - with next G coverage

post-23213-1234681519_thumb.jpg post-23213-1234681497_thumb.jpg

Shouten Passage - Binnalong Bay

65nm

Today I learned that if you stand on the remote for the auto-pilot you get an auto gybe! The main sheet came over at speed & under load & took out one of the lids to a fuel tank!

Restaurant booking tonight - the boys turned down my beef & beer casserole for that! (Agansa).

Spectacular scenery including "The Nuggets" & Aussie Coastal Bush

Great pics Ozee, thanks for sharing. This is the second time this week I've seen pics of the "organ pipes" of Tasman Island and gotta admit they're spectacular. They remind me of the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. Someday I hope to see both in person, from sea.

Yep, 2nd that Ozee, keep the pics coming when you can.

Have sailed that way a few times and you are right Ravac, the entry into Storm Bay with the Organ Pipes, Tasman Island and the rugged coastline is pretty spectacular.

Have to wonder what the convicts thought as they sailed into Port Arthur, would have been pretty horrific I would think.

post-23213-1234950205_thumb.jpg

Rolly night at BB kept waking us up with sets.

Short day to Fosters via the inside of George Rock. Thru Banks Strait & into Bass Strait was remarkably flat water – I was expecting something out of “Deadliest Catch” the Bearing Sea. V calm at Fosters so we were unconscious by about 8.30. I was surprised I could see the outline of Flinders on the corner given that it was 40 miles away

The boys are still playing up about healthy food (they found out there was prunes in the lamb hot pot not mushrooms!)... morning tea got passed up today & was sweet biscuits sandwiched together with butter & vegemite! They already knew I couldn’t be trusted around lollies & we have run out totally!

We have a long day 6-3pm to civilisation & are basically 2 days early – sails behind us as the first 1/3 of the fleet will come in too.

Waterhouse Island & lighthouse saw the Shearwater a trading boat came to grief here only 30 years ago – after a Boo Boo calculating to get to Flinders. T shirt & shorts in Bass Straight – motor sailing to get 6-7 knots who knew!

In Launceston until Monday morning.

post-23213-1234950161_thumb.jpg

The boys are still playing up about healthy food (they found out there was prunes in the lamb hot pot not mushrooms!)... morning tea got passed up today & was sweet biscuits sandwiched together with butter & vegemite! They already knew I couldn’t be trusted around lollies & we have run out totally!

We have a long day 6-3pm to civilisation & are basically 2 days early – sails behind us as the first 1/3 of the fleet will come in too.

Gorgeous pics, thanhs.

Early in?

Looks like you hopped onto the race boat there, OA.

Although not much race weight about that headsail furler.

And what prunes, werent they a special local variety mushroom found growing by the cook on the east wall of a Valentine's Day lighthouse, extra sweet.

Lollies is one thing, but I wouldnt try the health kick thing with their rum:)

From army ration pack days, may I suggest applying honey with the vegemite? Delicious on toast with a slab of butter.

post-23213-1234998727_thumb.jpg

Outstanding service here - when you 'check in' by mobile coming up the river the manager comes out in a runabout to greet you, show you your pen & help with stern lines etc. welcome pack with maps etc & key to the facilities. Not sure what the floor is in the shower but its not cold

Maritime College here too

post-23213-1234998662_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous pics, thanhs.

Early in?

Looks like you hopped onto the race boat there, OA.

Although not much race weight about that headsail furler.

And what prunes, werent they a special local variety mushroom found growing by the cook on the east wall of a Valentine's Day lighthouse, extra sweet.

Lollies is one thing, but I wouldnt try the health kick thing with their rum:)

From army ration pack days, may I suggest applying honey with the vegemite? Delicious on toast with a slab of butter.

Gross Mr S just gross!

Great pics Ozee, I hope that you and the fleet are enjoying the trip.

Don't offer the commodore of TYC a bundy from a fresh bottle, you will regret it the next day.

enjoy

:lol: Planning to keep a lower profile!

Ozee, please stop, you're killing me!

Slim

The current view of our waterfront .

This thread is awesome for those of us suffering cabin fever,

single digit lows and more snow on the way.

Thanks OA!

:lol: Sorry Gents thought you might like a different look at Aus!

Off again Monday depending on frounts coming across - today I'm finalising laundry, cleaning out fridges/pantries & shopping

Slim

Thanks OA!

Off again Monday depending on frounts coming across - today I'm finalising laundry, cleaning out fridges/pantries & shopping

I tell you it is annoying the fcuk out of me.....I can feel the old girl tugging at her mooring, wanting to head south.

Thanks again for this....turning into my favourite dreamtime thread.....I've laid a circuit of Tassie on google earth more times than I'd remember....

post-23213-1235189107_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235189043_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235188989_thumb.jpg

Had the morning to myself & went & did some tourist things!

The boys are doing boat chores

No idea that platypuses had spines on their back legs if they are boys & actually have venom in them - not life threatening just bloody painful for a few weeks. if you find one DON'T pick it up!

Echidnas tongues are 20cm long! :ph34r:

Seahorses (females) tickle the males to make them open their belly buttons - lay their eggs & POQ (to buy shoes :lol: )!

Slim

Thanks OA!

I tell you it is annoying the fcuk out of me.....I can feel the old girl tugging at her mooring, wanting to head south.

Thanks again for this....turning into my favourite dreamtime thread.....I've laid a circuit of Tassie on google earth more times than I'd remember....

Would you consider going 'in company' like this? we are 30 somethiing at the moment & go up to 42 when the boats from Geelong join us at Three Hummocks/along the coast?

BTW one of the group leaders is starting to put something together each day which would probably be more use to you than me

here -> http://www.ryct.org.au/content/view/191/139/

Beauty Point – Devonport

Took off early to avoid a threatened NWerly. 4 hour (30nm)step this time

Passed Wesley Vale Pulp Mill & into Mersey River Devonport.

In Mersey Yacht Club Devonport (members waiting to help us dock – which is fantastic) awaiting weather pattern for another hop to Stanley, 54nm hop this time, looks like Melbourne is still burning & hot so in a warped way that’s good for us (nice big high). Smaller YC but still has showers/loo; potable water; some power too.

Shook top section loose of the furling headsail so one had to go up the mast – not me as I wouldn’t know how to fix it. Sorted v quickly

The ferries here take abpout 12 hours to get to Melbourne across Bass Strait

post-23213-1235366841_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235366759_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235366717_thumb.jpg

post-23213-1235366680_thumb.jpg

looks like Melbourne is still burning & hot so in a warped way that’s good for us (nice big high).

I am sitting here at home out east of Melbourne glued to the radio with info about the fires. The cool change has hit Melbourne but has not got out here yet. When it does it going to shake the fires up.

There are three major fires going at Daylesford, Upwey and Yarram + the original fires are still burning around Kinglake, St Andrews and the Yarra valley, Warburton has basically been evacuated to Lilydale.

Soon I will go up the road for a look up the Yarra valley to see what smoke I can see.

Fortunately for us the cool change will turn the wind to the Sth East (Bad for you to get to Stanley) and none of the fires that are going will then threaten us.

looks like Melbourne is still burning & hot so in a warped way that’s good for us (nice big high).

I am sitting here at home out east of Melbourne glued to the radio with info about the fires. The cool change has hit Melbourne but has not got out here yet. When it does it going to shake the fires up.

There are three major fires going at Daylesford, Upwey and Yarram + the original fires are still burning around Kinglake, St Andrews and the Yarra valley, Warburton has basically been evacuated to Lilydale.

Soon I will go up the road for a look up the Yarra valley to see what smoke I can see.

Fortunately for us the cool change will turn the wind to the Sth East (Bad for you to get to Stanley) and none of the fires that are going will then threaten us.

we can wait.... glad your not in danger

we can wait.... glad your not in danger

You are spot on... we are here for another day at least - some of the others will need to stay in Goergetown as the Mersey isn't big enough for us all

post-23213-1235453254_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235453188_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235453126_thumb.jpg

First gale warning of our trip for all of West & North coast so we are here another day.

Sitting on a mooring on Mersey river we have had 42k. Wave rider buoy at Port Sorrel showed 12m last night & we think the Georgetown pontoon seems to have moved with 2 big boats on it during the night.

Looked into the Maritime museum which was very good (see the diver smoking a pipe!)– once they heard what we are doing it was free passes & access to their tea & coffee supply & a lift home if it was at the time they were leaving.

They also gave me this:

THE SHIP

Why is a ship called a she?

A ship is called SHE because there is always a great deal of bustle around her.

There is usually a gang of men about.

She has a waist & stays.

It takes a lot of point to keep her good looking.

It is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep

She can be all decked out .

It takes an experienced man to handle her correctly & without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable.

She shows her topsides.

Hides her bottom & when coming into port; always heads for the buoys.

Long walk took us past some riverside real estate.

Looked at the aboriginal museum & lighthouse – look over the edge into the bass strait we were glad we are cruising not racing!

The little lighthouse & triangle with the orange stripe are lead lights, since we have been on this cruise I have yet to see a set of IALA reds & greens that look the same they are different everywhere

Ozee,

You have mentioned real estate a few times now.

You guys not thinking of imigrating to the deep South???

Have to agree though, there are some great properties down there.

Hope you got to taste some of the great Pinot's around there.

Still have a few tucked away from our last visit that way (Land based trip after the race, It's Mrs Leka's little bonus every time we go down. We try and go somewhere nice for a couple of days to dry out after the party)

Ozee,

You have mentioned real estate a few times now.

You guys not thinking of imigrating to the deep South???

Have to agree though, there are some great properties down there.

Hope you got to taste some of the great Pinot's around there.

Still have a few tucked away from our last visit that way (Land based trip after the race, It's Mrs Leka's little bonus every time we go down. We try and go somewhere nice for a couple of days to dry out after the party)

There is potential for moving - I find the housing very different to the Queenslanders & all the old stuff is stunning (also v different from growing up in UK & HKG). I went for a townhouse myself so I didn't fall into the high maintenence trap. Other than that I'm a girl & like to look! :lol:

I'm impressed with a Bream Creek (sp) at the moment not many other Pinots that I like at the moment (I like them soft & almost see thru)

Have you tried the Peregrine from Queenstown NZ - family interest in that vineyard first 10 rows!

post-23213-1235556642_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235556609_thumb.jpg

Devonport – Stanley

‘Long’ day 7-4 more with the fleet than any other day. Surprise when we got here – haven’t seen an entrance so small – scary I thought. We have all rafted up alongside the wharf & in the fishing boat pens, long springers 12-14 foot tides. The boat getting renovated has taken 4 years which is longer than the lady’s father-in-law took to build it. It has a Mercedes engine & has done 68 000 hours with one set of injectors replaced only. Time to show you some of the fleet.

Aquabat (The bat boat) – Adams Naut 40

First light – Adams 12

Gladfly – Garden Formosa 41

Holger Danske – Aage Nielsen Ketch

Skie – Nordhaven 55

Tom Bowling - Salar40

Westwind – Nordhaven P-house trawler

Wild Goose – Perry Nordic 40

Wizard of Oz – Adams sloop

Great stuff, OA.

My wife and I were just in Tasmania for five days having arrived and departed via the ferry from Melbourne. Bass Strait lived up to its reputation, particularly on the trip back to Melbourne - I think they said 4 meter seas - we were rockin' and rollin' even in that great big boat. We spent a night in the Stanley Hotel and three nights at Corinna. Good food, wonderful people and a beautiful island. And inexpensive - I kept wondering if I had the exchange rate backwards. Wish we could have done what you folks are doing. I hope you all have as fine weather going down the west coast as we had during our visit - mostly clear and the southern ocean was almost flat.

romaine

post-23213-1235605485_thumb.jpg

The raft up all worked well until a NE blew hard for a few hours in the middle of the night, big boats coming forward onto backstays - after an initial burst of nakedness it was like watching an action packed mens underwear catalogue - brilliant viewing :lol:

Anyone got any solutions for a fly invasion - at the moment I'm using the mossie coils!

Slim

Thanks OA!

Would you consider going 'in company' like this? we are 30 somethiing at the moment & go up to 42 when the boats from Geelong join us at Three Hummocks/along the coast?

BTW one of the group leaders is starting to put something together each day which would probably be more use to you than me

here -> http://www.ryct.org.au/content/view/191/139/

Ozee......I think that the 'company' aspect is the one thing I'd have a problem with. To be honest I am an anti social old sod and don't go much for the group thing. I don't mind being in an anchorage with a few other boats and maybe sharing chat, drinks and dinner but 'sundowners' (damn I hate that word) with 20 plus other boats ? No, I don't think so.

Anyway, I don't care for now...keep those pics coming. The Wombette is pretty keen on the Tassie thing as well... your pics will enforce the positive.

Salute

TD

Ozee......I think that the 'company' aspect is the one thing I'd have a problem with. To be honest I am an anti social old sod and don't go much for the group thing. I don't mind being in an anchorage with a few other boats and maybe sharing chat, drinks and dinner but 'sundowners' (damn I hate that word) with 20 plus other boats ? No, I don't think so.

Anyway, I don't care for now...keep those pics coming. The Wombette is pretty keen on the Tassie thing as well... your pics will enforce the positive.

Salute

TD

Actually its pretty much everyone doing their own thing with radio sched once a day - the 'get togethers' seem to be boats that know each other or using the local knowledge when guesstimating movement/weather some of these guys are on this for the 7th time! One guy that did approach us for a 'sticky beak' had sailed on our boat for its first Sydney to Hobart in 86 - other than that no ones living in each others pockets.

post-23213-1235611267_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235611220_thumb.jpg

Great stuff, OA.

My wife and I were just in Tasmania for five days having arrived and departed via the ferry from Melbourne. Bass Strait lived up to its reputation, particularly on the trip back to Melbourne - I think they said 4 meter seas - we were rockin' and rollin' even in that great big boat. We spent a night in the Stanley Hotel and three nights at Corinna. Good food, wonderful people and a beautiful island. And inexpensive - I kept wondering if I had the exchange rate backwards. Wish we could have done what you folks are doing. I hope you all have as fine weather going down the west coast as we had during our visit - mostly clear and the southern ocean was almost flat.

romaine

Thanks for that...

Stanley looks like one of those places that you can 'stop the world I want to get off' inexpensive cabins/accomodation & 10km of beach to walk on. Must go exploring The Nut (big hill) when finished the laundry!

Nice posts Oz, think I just found a cruising holiday to stick on my wish list

This one or one in the northern hemisphere?

The southern hemisphere version for me

post-23213-1235705309_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235705226_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235705184_thumb.jpg

Better night after we all had a switch around (6 hours to talk about it!) 40k + catabatic off the hill/Nut. Lots of dust too - inside & outside flithy this morning.

The major attraction of Stanley is The Nut, which affords a great view right along the coast.

The Nut itself is 152m (500 ft) tall, and was formed when lava cooled to form basalt rock. It is possible to either climb The Nut by a walking track, or take a chairlift to the top. The Nut was known as Moo-Nut-Re-ker by the Tasmanian Aboriginals, and by 1851, sailors had come to know it simply as The Nut.

Hope you guys are looking at the weather for early next week!!

thanks for that - appreciate it (but don't plan on being in it :lol: ).

Plan A is 3 Hummocks tomorrow & head for Strahan (sp) on Sunday then we stay inside & wait for weather. getting more crew too

Plan A is 3 Hummocks tomorrow & head for Strahan (sp) on Sunday then we stay inside & wait for weather. getting more crew too

Take care guys. Hope the weather lets you into Hells Gate

Take care guys. Hope the weather lets you into Hells Gate

If it's too rough out there on the west side you can just shoot into the Pieman River.

:)

romaine

If it's too rough out there on the west side you can just shoot into the Pieman River.

:)

romaine

I guess you could try it ....if you have a death wish.... that entrance was dangerous before they dammed the Pieman......

post-23213-1235878959_thumb.jpg post-23213-1235878918_thumb.jpg

28/2/09 Stanley – Hunter Island – Back to Stanley

6 hour trip to Shepherd’s bay, anticipating a nice reach to Hunter Island weather was a bit out by 10 knots. Ended up tacking around the south end of Three Hummock Island with a double reef in & main only. Top wind speed was up to 36k. Messy sea up to 2 meters

Got a good soaking for the first time on the trip.

It has been decided that I helm for speed so I’m now given instructions in degrees apparent or a heading when I can’t see the hills everyone else can.

Gorgeous blue sea the whole way & that pristine high vis tropical look on the island.

Tomorrow is decision day. We either go down thru Hunter passage in slack tide (2-4k on chart) together with over falls with the rest of the fleet or we all go upwards around Cape Keraudren with overfalls there too.

:( 30 hour gap to get to Hells Gate & with all considerations it would take this 2 ½ men about 26 hours @ 4 knots so we made the decision to come back to Stanley & wait until a better window – might bring on the extra help here instead on Strachan. About ¼ of the fleet turned back.

30+ k coming back the boat is sparkling clean!

post-23213-1235879050_thumb.jpg

The day you discovered your Dubarries & knew there was no turning back... AU$ 400+

The day you discovered your Stormy Seas jacket & knew there was no turning back...AU$500+

The day you discovered you could wear your thermal gloves under washing up gloves to helm most of the day without thinking “my hands are cold & wet”

PRICELESS

:( 30 hour gap to get to Hells Gate & with all considerations it would take this 2 ½ men about 26 hours @ 4 knots so we made the decision to come back to Stanley & wait until a better window – might bring on the extra help here instead on Strachan. About ¼ of the fleet turned back.

Sounds like a good decision going by what they are forecasting for the west coast http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/tas/tas-forecast-map.shtml

East Telegraph on Three Hummock is a good spot to sit out a hard westerly.

This is for the bottom corner for Wednsdee ' (NW) Seas 6 to 8 metres abating later. West to southwest swell rising to 5 to 7 metres.' Give me a Patagonian winter over a West Coast summer any day :)

This is for the bottom corner for Wednsdee ' (NW) Seas 6 to 8 metres abating later. West to southwest swell rising to 5 to 7 metres.' Give me a Patagonian winter over a West Coast summer any day :)

Winds for Wednesday are AVERAGING 40-50k down there! :o

The split in the fleet is now nearer to 50:50 more are on the way back as they can't make hells gate before the Northerly sets in. The others seem to be having dinner in Anns bay & going right thru the night - cross everything. There have been reports of some high green water but only a few

Hey Ozee, Did you walk to the top of the Nut or take the chairlift??

We spent a few days holed up the in November 06 after the Melb-Stanley race.

Great little town to wait the weather out.

Enjoy

I went with a 65 yr old so I went on the chair (I'm sticking to that story! :lol: )

All up there were in fleeces & hiking boots - then the sailors turned up in shorts & Crocs!!!!

Tell Craig he's being a poofter, could've made Strachan easy if he was prepared to put up with an ordinary night.

And while you're about it, remind him that he needs to sell that great wooden caravan and get a Farr 30.

Just got a PM from the Commodore, he got the message, and because you didn't drink the Bundy with he thinks I am going over to help.

Not working at the moment.............very tempting.

Keep the reports coming through, and I assume you are back at Stanley now so you can don the tee shirt and crocs and wander up the Nut.

G

Just got a PM from the Commodore, he got the message, and because you didn't drink the Bundy with he thinks I am going over to help.

Not working at the moment.............very tempting.

Keep the reports coming through, and I assume you are back at Stanley now so you can don the tee shirt and crocs and wander up the Nut.

G

yup - plan B = ??? a window Friday to 3 Hummocks then Sat down the coast we will have missed time in Strahan tho

plan C = go back round the east & meet the others @ Research (sp) or Port Davy

Tell Craig he's being a poofter, could've made Strachan easy if he was prepared to put up with an ordinary night.

And while you're about it, remind him that he needs to sell that great wooden caravan and get a Farr 30.

Now that I have been so comprehensively outed by my best mate it is all on.

It was not so much the ordinary night as it was 30s deadup wind in in a 5 m crap sea at an average of 3knots VMG it was the 962 hpa low waiting at the end if I did not make the entrance at Hells Gates by tonight (see earlier posts on this thread)

And besides it would have broken my primary rule of Tasmanian sailing, never be at sea once the "Sheep Graziers Weather Warning" is issued

IDT29000Australian Government Bureau of MeteorologyTasmania

WARNING

Warning for Sheep Graziers

Issued at 9:51pm on Monday the 2nd of March 2009

RenewalWarning to Sheep Graziers for all northern grazing districts.

Sheep graziers are advised that rain and strong and gusty northerly winds, followed by a latecooler westerly change, may pose a hazard to susceptible sheep.

Next routine issue by 5am.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau'swebsite at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.The Tasmanian Bureau of Meteorology and State Emergency Service would appreciatethis warning being broadcast regularly.

Oz, how much holiday time do you get?

I'm using 'long service leave ' & added 2 weeks to what the plan was (total 7 weeks off) but others have got to be back just a few days after the official finish 17/3/09

I'm using 'long service leave ' & added 2 weeks to what the plan was (total 7 weeks off) but others have got to be back just a few days after the official finish 17/3/09

was going to say, if thats your annual package then the whole world is in the wrong job ;)

Hey Ozzee,

Thanks for the pics. I grew up in Hobart and have been feeling really homesick here in the UK winter over the past few weeks. This has really cheered me up!! More piccies please if you can.

was going to say, if thats your annual package then the whole world is in the wrong job ;)

:lol: nurses get extra hols if they do over 20 night shifts a year - since I've gone over to the dark side I only get 5 weeks

:lol: nurses get extra hols if they do over 20 night shifts a year - since I've gone over to the dark side I only get 5 weeks

Hey Ozzee,

Thanks for the pics. I grew up in Hobart and have been feeling really homesick here in the UK winter over the past few weeks. This has really cheered me up!! More piccies please if you can.

Will do but I don't want any FAILED stamps if they turn out to be the east coast again! B)

Coastal Waters Forecast for Tasmania

Issued at 5:00 am EDT on Tuesday 3 March 2009

valid until midnight on Thursday

Please Be Aware

Wind gusts can be a further 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and the maximum waves may be up to twice the height.

Warnings

1. A Gale Warning is current for eastern, southern and western waters between the northern tip of Flinders Island and Stanley.

2. A Strong Wind Warning is current for remaining northern Tasmanian coastal waters between Stanley and the northern tip of Flinders Island, including Banks Strait and Franklin Sound.

3. A Small Craft Wind Alert is current for the Southwest and Central Plateau lakes.

Synoptic Situation

A strong cold front will cross Tasmania this evening as an associated low slowly passes to the southwest of the state.

FAR NORTHWEST COAST, Sandy Cape to Stanley and King Island:

A Gale Warning is current.

Tuesday until midnight: Northeast to northerly winds 20 to 30 knots, 35 knots at times, before a northwest to westerly change from late afternoon at similar speeds. Seas 3 to 5 metres. Westerly swell near 2 metres.

Wednesday: West to northwest winds 30 to 40 knots, tending southwest during the afternoon at similar speeds. Seas 4 to 6 metres. West to southwest swell near 3 metres increasing 6 to 7 metres.

Thursday: Southwest winds 25 to 35 knots easing to 20 to 30 knots in the evening. Seas to 3 to 5 metres. West to southwest swell 6 to 7 metres decreasing to 4 to 5 metres.

CENTRAL NORTH COAST, Stanley to the Northern Tip of Flinders Is:

A Strong Wind Warning is current.

Tuesday until midnight: Northeast to northerly winds 20 to 30 knots tending northwest to westerly at 20 to 30 knots in the evening. Seas to 2 to 3 metres. Confused swell to 1.5 metres, chiefly northeast.

Wednesday: West to northwest winds 25 to 35 knots increasing to 30 to 40 knots during the morning then tending west to southwest from late afternoon. Winds easing to 25 to 35 knots in the evening. Seas to 3 to 5 metres. Westerly swell 1.5 metres increasing to 2 to 3 metres.

Thursday: Southwest winds 20 to 30 knots, 35 knots offshore till evening. Winds lighter inshore. Seas to 3 to 4 metres offshore. Westerly swell 3 metres decreasing to 1.5 to 2 metres.

Waiting...

OA, I'm really looking forward to pics of you entering Hells Gate, I've only been to Strachan by car, so a little bit of envy here.

Cross everything & be nice to the weather gods! :lol:

? window Sat night/Sunday provided SW swell is small enough to get out thru the hunter passage (a little Z manouvre with over falls & 6 k tide)

I have reported we are not allowed to be taking sails down right then as I need pics!

Now that I have been so comprehensively outed by my best mate it is all on.

It was not so much the ordinary night as it was 30s deadup wind in in a 5 m crap sea at an average of 3knots VMG it was the 962 hpa low waiting at the end if I did not make the entrance at Hells Gates by tonight (see earlier posts on this thread)

And besides it would have broken my primary rule of Tasmanian sailing, never be at sea once the "Sheep Graziers Weather Warning" is issued

IDT29000Australian Government Bureau of MeteorologyTasmania

WARNING

Warning for Sheep Graziers

Issued at 9:51pm on Monday the 2nd of March 2009

RenewalWarning to Sheep Graziers for all northern grazing districts.

Sheep graziers are advised that rain and strong and gusty northerly winds, followed by a latecooler westerly change, may pose a hazard to susceptible sheep.

Next routine issue by 5am.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau'swebsite at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.The Tasmanian Bureau of Meteorology and State Emergency Service would appreciatethis warning being broadcast regularly.

Meow.

post-23213-1236130146_thumb.jpg post-23213-1236130109_thumb.jpg post-23213-1236130067_thumb.jpg

A number of crew off the 14 boats still in Stanley have started to go home, we have cars & busses arriving & Miss Lila was the most fun to watch (she joined us to go north & was heading back to Port Ferry (sp) not part of the cruise officially!

Top gusts in the harbour was 68 about 30 mins before they started.

How do I know we have been here too long?

I bought shoes!!!!