Trip Down Memory Lane

Schoonerman

Hmmm...

I haven't raced many 4000lbs boats. :P

46-foot, 4000 lb boat?? Where can I get one???

'Two-tonner' does not refer to the weight, but the design rule whose equation has a number of variables (boat dimensions) which may be changed so long as the other side of the equation is 4000lbs.

(Note: If your post was meant to be sarcasm, please disregard the above. Have a great day)

Love the 32 raters......spent a few hours on a few different ones

Per Mare (Pachena) Peterson

Challenger - Peterson - beautiful wooden boat

La Pantera - Big old flush deck monster

Salute - Another Peterson

Foxhound - ex Christopher Dragon ex Silver Shadow - C&C 41 Custom

Great memories!

Not sure if it as a 2 tonner or not, but raced on a Mull 47 for a couple years back in the mid 80's

the boat started life named Gonnagitcha and did pretty well in the SORC, was donated to the Naval Academy and still races on the bay out of Gibson Island I think.. was named Reprisal for a while current owner changed the name to Carrot.

SPRINT the JN43

I sailed on the good old training ship "Aleta". Two Cabo's and a Mans. Anyone one have the photo of her in the 1981 BBS? Now that was a classic! Now watch and see how well the Peterson 48 "AMANTE" does in this years Cabo? She is my pick for 1st overall.

Sea ya

Dude

post-79-1235676280_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...

I haven't raced many 4000lbs boats. :P

46-foot, 4000 lb boat?? Where can I get one???

'Two-tonner' does not refer to the weight, but the design rule whose equation has a number of variables (boat dimensions) which may be changed so long as the other side of the equation is 4000lbs.

(Note: If your post was meant to be sarcasm, please disregard the above. Have a great day)

old boats (no really, really old boats) tonnage rules, nothing to do with weight (look up tunnes (sp) in a marine dictionary)

the old trophys were recycled into IOR

and the best 2 tonner, the old 'Indulgence' andrieu design, prettiest IOR boat made (IMO)

I sailed on a few IOR boats:

mini-tonner: Afternoon Delight

A few quarter ad half tonners

One Tonner: Choat 41 (Hoorah!) and Apollo V

non-ton IOR boats:

Peterson 34

Frers 51: Tomahawk

Pedrick 81: LG II

I don't miss them at all...

The loads on them were astronomical and there was nothing worse than Wire to rope Jib sheets, Afterguys and Halyards....UGH!!!

My hands still have scars from the meathooks on the halyards...

SPRINT the JN43

Sprint was always one of my favorite boats when I was a wee lad. Where did she end up?

I last saw her on Sailing Anarchy as SLIDER up in Nova Scotia for sale.

Sprint- J/N 43

I remember eyeing her in the lakes as a teenager, then skippered her as a midshipman at KP as Icefire- last time I saw her was on the hard near Marblehead, MA.

I thought you guys still had a few hidden away next to the whale boats. :P

post-661-1235673413_thumb.jpg

Do you mean something like this??

Fucking wire to rope spin halyard would stretch 2 feet in a puff.

Ahhh...The good ol' days of towing the ocean downwind.

It wasn't how fast you could go, it was how fast you could make the water go.

My favorite rides in the PNW:

Wisp (Will o' the Wisp) and one of the many Glories

We used to get 10 or more of those things on the line and have a great time going nowhere slowly, racing the owner's wallets and burning up sail cloth.

John Buchan's HEATHER

Dennis Donahue's IRISH ROSE

It was very close racing and a lot of fun. Nobody got paid.

Spilled a lot of blood on those monster winch farms. They pushed half the ocean in front and dragged the other half behind. Rolled downhill gunwale to gunwale until you put the blooper up and then they rolled even more. Huge headsails and tiny mains, lethal wire braces, meathooks on the halyards, slower than the second coming by comparison with similar sized boats today but somehow they were more fun. Great memories as a youngster - bring back the IOR! (heaven forbid :( )

You're correct Bob, nobody got paid... but some got laid :P

That a 441 Dog?

John Buchan's HEATHER

No SHIT Flatbag....The racerchasers just seem to not but up to spec these days...prolly me :lol:

Gitana VII - Frers 2-tonner in the 1981 Middle Sea Race. Jerry Kirby was on the boat - I was doing bow. Go figure.

Geronimo - Mino Simeone 2-tonner, 2-ton Worlds in Sardinia same year. Scary nightmare huge fat slow 51 footer that rated 2-ton. Looked like a bloody aircraft carrier with a truly horrible long dangly stern. I remember Holland, Frers & Peterson standing under the boat in the yard pre-regatta looking up and scratching their heads. German said it in the end: "If this guy's right, we'd all better take up farming." DFL every time.

Too many more to mention. Fun, though...

John Buchan's HEATHER

Umm - I think you got paid for designing both :D

Cool boats when they were new - I was just a teenager wishing I were on those two!

WWing

That a 441 Dog?

John Buchan's HEATHER

No SHIT Flatbag....The racerchasers just seem to not but up to spec these days...prolly me :lol:

Yeah, they just don't blow like they used to, sigh :(

I was tortured as a child on a 2 tonner. I mean I learned to race on the Serendipity 43 'Fame'. Cousin bought it in '85 fresh off the SORC. He picked up quite a bit of silver with it. I still sail on it from time to time.

--Matt

post-21150-1235716789_thumb.jpg

Raced Mercedes V, alloy '77 Kaufman, a bit in the late '70s as a kid.

Did a short race or two on a bunch of others; Sweet Caroline ('79 Davo fractional), Shogun ('78 Holland), Madelaine's Daughter ('87 Farr 44), Too Impetuous (Holland '81) etc.

Sure they were slow, but who cares - cats, boards and skiffs were faster than and they're still faster now. The racing was great! Same old story, slow is still fun.

Gitana VII - Frers 2-tonner in the 1981 Middle Sea Race. Jerry Kirby was on the boat - I was doing bow. Go figure.

Geronimo - Mino Simeone 2-tonner, 2-ton Worlds in Sardinia same year. Scary nightmare huge fat slow 51 footer that rated 2-ton. Looked like a bloody aircraft carrier with a truly horrible long dangly stern. I remember Holland, Frers & Peterson standing under the boat in the yard pre-regatta looking up and scratching their heads. German said it in the end: "If this guy's right, we'd all better take up farming." DFL every time.

Too many more to mention. Fun, though...

P Wop, I am always amazed how close our pathes went in those years without ever crossing.

Gitana VII is now in Belgium as a sailing school.

School Website

Funnily she is now painted in Rothschild's colours when, purchased just for one two-ton cup, the Baron sailed her with a full white hull.

post-6361-1235740394_thumb.jpg

Well she wasn't 2 tons but one time I was really shitfaced back in college and woke up................... :lol: JK Man you fuckers are all old! I'm glad to say that boats were already getting lighter and started getting sprits when I started. That and I'm glad I never had to touch a wire sheet in my life!!

Either it made a man out of you or it killed you, literally.

Exactamundo. Whoever thinks these things are fun is clinically insane. The rolling was bad enough, but the wire to rope cordage under ridiculous loads was horrific. I almost lost a foot one time on a jib sheet. Yay vectran.

I appreciate how neat they were at the time, and still love the old photos of em, but I have no desire to sail one again.

That a 441 Dog?

Nope and to be honest not a true 2 ton’er. Swan 47 Bones VIII I had the pleasure of bringing her around from Florida to the bay in 87. We raced her in the bay and ocean for a few years until we almost killed a guy when his foot got caught in a rope to wire guy in a douse.

We raced her in the bay and ocean for a few years until we almost killed a guy when his foot got caught in a rope to wire guy in a douse.

That is just what I'm talking about!! Glad I wasn't born till the 80's!

We raced her in the bay and ocean for a few years until we almost killed a guy when his foot got caught in a rope to wire guy in a douse.

That is just what I'm talking about!! Glad I wasn't born till the 80's!

Fuck you are my wife's age :D:rolleyes:

Yah, all wire sheets were even hairier, but man they run fast on the release!

There was an active group of 2 tonners in various shapes and sizes on LIS at the very end of IOR that was fun-Blue Yankee that was posted, an early Idler etc-fun racing, not alot of em, I think less than 10, but the IOR rating bands made for good close racing if nothing else

Slightly earlier: '77

I had forgotten that this one rated 2 tons.

Reliance 44' designed and owned by Ribadeau Dumas

Two large wheels, 7/8 rig, the main of which did not like bloopers !! hence the reefs.

They missed the A/C, despite a pretty nice result in the Morgan Cup for french trials.

post-6361-1235754312_thumb.jpg

That a 441 Dog?

Nope and to be honest not a true 2 ton'er. Swan 47 Bones VIII I had the pleasure of bringing her around from Florida to the bay in 87. We raced her in the bay and ocean for a few years until we almost killed a guy when his foot got caught in a rope to wire guy in a douse.

Man that fucker's digging a BIG hole :lol:

Probably my favorite two-tonner was the PJ Alloy built Immonet (sp?) ex A/C Merrythought. Put some miles on that boat. Great crew! F'n boat could take a lot of hurt and never stop moving. Once of the only boats I've ever sailed that I had complete confidence in. Couldn't find a pic.

1982 Dubois alloy 2 tonner Seaquesta on her way back into the drink after a major, inside and out blast and paint.

First test sail was to be today if it wasnt for the sideways rain and 40knt puffs.

Congrats on the restoration. Looks GREAT!

Where will she be sailing?

1982 Dubois alloy 2 tonner Seaquesta on her way back into the drink after a major, inside and out blast and paint.

First test sail was to be today if it wasnt for the sideways rain and 40knt puffs.

Congrats on the restoration. Looks GREAT!

Where will she be sailing?

Cheers! Interior is still being fitted but the exterior is pretty much finished.

Auckland, New Zealand, then if all goes well, off to the Pacific Islands for a spot of cruising.

Lookin' good! Whatever happened to Seaulater? Cavalli's ex Nigel Shockwave was a 34.5'er. Twisted sisters at LAYC? Priceless. Some amazing Royal Freshy beercans on Briggsy's old 2T, Hitchhiker. What is he up to these days?

What about 34 raters like Blue Yankee, Sideslapper, Shockwave, Bimblegumbee I & II (puddle deck) ? Ah, the memories. Chasers WERE hotter in the old days. Of course we were slightly fitter & better looking, too.

Sailed some old Irish 2 tonner Admirals cup boat out of S Wales and some old english 2 tonner out of Hamble. Great memories of very scary death roles, water everywhere, loosing skin from the wire braces..... ah what fun and I was only 17! Thought it was supposed to be that frightening

The old 2 tonners might have moved the ocean & dragged a lot of it behind them. They were bloody heavy by todays standards. They're slow, but Bacardi (Peretson 44) while maybe not a 2 tonner, did come second in the Hobart a couple of years ago - to a slightly older IOR boat. Beat all your modern lightweight fast boats. Shame I don't have a pic.

Sailed some old Irish 2 tonner Admirals cup boat out of S Wales and some old english 2 tonner out of Hamble. Great memories of very scary death roles, water everywhere, loosing skin from the wire braces..... ah what fun and I was only 17! Thought it was supposed to be that frightening

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too mate - me too!

"Magistri" custom C&C 39 updated to an IOR 2 Tonner from her Canada's Cup win when she was named Manitou.

Changes made to make her rate 2 Ton:

A lot more sail with a 6ft taller spar, slightly bigger girths forward, changes to the bustle and aft girths, new keel, faired out the CCA "bumps"

post-5483-1235896981_thumb.jpg

Also did a couple of overnight races on the Frers 2 Tonner Dynamo, designed as a contender for the Canada's Cup. Boat was easy to steer and tracked well unlike some other IOR boats.

My favorite from the early '80s. Anybody here have any memories of Aries? Sorry, can't credit the pic again.

You mean besides LeBlanc's incredibly annoying (and loud) Boston accent?

Wizard, a Peterson designed aluminum 2 tonner built at Palmer Johnson in 1976. I was there for the launch as a wideeyed 15 year old. Lou Kagen was the owner and built a great boat and team. Sailed with the infamous Shuf Wilman and Chaz from Taz.

The boat is in Chicago now as Siren Song.

My favorite from the early '80s. Anybody here have any memories of Aries? Sorry, can't credit the pic again.

Aries sailed out of Erie Yacht Club for a while, how long I can't recall. Jim McBrier was the guy who owned her, now has a Hinkley. Sold maybe 5-10 years ago. It went out west from what I heard, and was converted to cruisining. I never sailed on her, but was to leward and real close once when she blew up a kite. Not much of a story, but thought I would share it.

"What two tonner did you race on?"

An Ensign.

Sequesta when she was blue with the yellow & orange flash. lots of texta quote's next to the pipe cots from the delivery home from kenwood.

Ha ha - those scriblings were still there when I bought her - the sandblaster quickly took em off. Some bloke called Steve or Mike Snagester(?sp) was one of the authors - from San Fran I think. Also alot of scribbles on the old engine cover "bleed bitch bleed" being one of them.

From the PNW...Heather, all the Islander 40's, Petersons, etc. This was the graveyard of IOR by the way. The "Moon" is still going strong and winning, with our Pet. 37, hanging in there with the smaller, lighter boats most of the time. We may be a bit slower in the heavier breeze, but in the light stuff we can still win. And I don't have to spend $300g's to be competitive. Go Boopers!!

I can still probably find almost all the old IOR certs for any of them in my files too. Anyone remember measureing LOA and beams with string and plumb bobs??? Very technical!

SPRINT the JN43

Sprint was always one of my favorite boats when I was a wee lad. Where did she end up?

I last saw her on Sailing Anarchy as SLIDER up in Nova Scotia for sale.

I heard it was for sale, Is there a website, I can't find an ad anywhere for it.

Cheers,

Ty

That a 441 Dog?

John Buchan's HEATHER

The BEST EXER spin set was the one where the pantyhose came out when the kite opened - classic!

That a 441 Dog?

John Buchan's HEATHER

The BEST EXER spin set was the one where the pantyhose came out when the kite opened - classic!

I thought that was on your boat. Damm to be single again!!

Look close at the picture I think that’s you in the Line 7’S

Dang old Peckerheads comming out O the woods on this tread!

whadaya mean, "DID" you race on?

COUG - 1980 Peterson 41 IOR 2-Tonner built 1980/81 by Andy Wiggers (one of his first) for Tony Ronza, challenged for and won the 1981 Canada's Cup, went on to years of racing on Lake Huron, then came back to Lake Ontario about 15 years ago and returned to round-the-buoys PHRF beater.

Owned by a consortium of CBYC sailors, raced round the cans on Wednesday nights and a few interclubs over the summer.

Last year a buddy and I decided to plug our noses and dive in head-first (man has she been sailed hard and put away wet for a lifetime-and-a-half!). Borrowed the old gal and entered her in the growing LOSHRS shorthanded racing series. With a winch farm more suited to a crew of 8-10 and no other concessions to shorthanded sailing COUG can be a handful for only four hands, but she's still pretty sweet upwind and down (not so hot in between!) in the light-to-medium stuff.

Long live IOR leadsleds!

Cheers!

post-915-1236033670_thumb.jpg

i did a couple of races on the 2 tonner which was originally called juno then joxer/mitsubishi electric and then roy dickson of howth (ireland) bought it and called it scarlertt

anyone know where she is now??

and hispiria 3 or 4 ?? out of belfast

i did a couple of races on the 2 tonner which was originally called juno then joxer/mitsubishi electric and then roy dickson of howth (ireland) bought it and called it scarlertt

Roy stripped it for parts (& deck?) and slipped a Corby hull underneath it to create Cracklin' Rosie. Someone else took what was left & got it back to sailing condition again.

I last saw her in Howth in 1999 in the Autumn League - owned by a guy in the RStGYC. Scratch boat, but frequently overtaken by half of the class behind. I think they had some sort of corporate charter thing going on.

Roy stripped it for parts (& deck?) and slipped a Corby hull underneath it to create Cracklin' Rosie. Someone else took what was left & got it back to sailing condition again.

I last saw her in Howth in 1999 in the Autumn League - owned by a guy in the RStGYC. Scratch boat, but frequently overtaken by half of the class behind. I think they had some sort of corporate charter thing going on.

yep your exactly right some company called funsail at the time bought it he also bought roys previous boat blue diamond beneteau 1 tonner??.i wonder where she is sitting today ??she was a fun boat in her day

The old 2 tonners might have moved the ocean & dragged a lot of it behind them. They were bloody heavy by todays standards. They're slow, but Bacardi (Peretson 44) while maybe not a 2 tonner, did come second in the Hobart a couple of years ago - to a slightly older IOR boat. Beat all your modern lightweight fast boats. Shame I don't have a pic.

Shame? You don't have a pic of the mighty Bus? It's a downright bloody disgrace Gladys!!

Allow me to assist... :lol:

post-449-1236050026_thumb.jpg

Vendetta

She still in Acapulco? Really the first GP racer I ever crawled around on. She was just-donated, & raced by some locals & UCSB sailors (Bill Menninger was one.) Pretty impressive to a 12 year old Laser sailor in the mid 70s.

She was a fine pinner.

This Dynamo? Shot is from Derektor in Lauderdale circa 1980. I can't remember where I got the pic, so I can't give credit. Edit: Actually the pic is from Tampa.

Can't see enough of it to tell. Is that a Frers? The one in Toronto was grey with Baltoplate bottom.

Shame? You don't have a pic of the mighty Bus? It's a downright bloody disgrace Gladys!!

Allow me to assist... :lol:

post-449-1236050026_thumb.jpg

The legendary old IOR warhorse Peterson 44 Bacardi seen here in 2007 showing off Ted's finest '80s Genoa sailmaking technology :(

post-13013-1236055873_thumb.jpg

"What two tonner did you race on?"

An Ensign.

Seaquesta when she was blue with the yellow & orange flash. lots of texta quote's next to the pipe cots from the delivery home from kenwood.

Didn't PC bring her home from Kenwood for Alf? Those guys used to drink so hard I am surprised they could manage to write anything.

The Dynamo shown was a Dubois 46...not a 2 tonner...big frac version of Police Car.

Nice boat, loved it, but not well suited for Lake Ontario.

The Dynamo shown was a Dubois 46...not a 2 tonner...big frac version of Police Car.

Nice boat, loved it, but not well suited for Lake Ontario.

• 1 month later...
Pics or it didn't happen :P

Fat Boy from the cover

post-23955-1235626838_thumb.jpg

2 Tonners;

Flying Cloud 37' (modified Cal 40)

Surfrider C&C 39'

Surfrider C&C 42' custom

Blackbird C&C 41' (custom one off).

Goodbye Girl 43' Serendipity custom

The last was the best!

Archived