Association Cup 2009

Woosha

Banter has started from anarchists on the Melbourne Big Boat thread about this year's Association Cup - worthy of a separate thread...

Will RYCV continue their dominance of this event, or can SYC break their drought?

Will RBYC prove to be a spoiler of both?

IMHO, based on results in Range series, Geelong etc this season:

RYCV continue to have an excellent selection of low-rating, high performing boats such as Surprise, the suite of Adams 10's including Executive Decision & the new Apache, and the Hicks (will Wake get dusted off for their annual appearance?). Along with the big guns of Living Doll and Shogun, RYCV will probably go in favourite (again).

SYC also has a strong mix, but just can't seem to pull it together when it counts: Cougar II (will it be available this year?), Dekadence, Horizon Sprint, Young Lion, Absolut, some of the S80's at the smaller end (Intrusion, Assailant) and even the S/38s, which have been showing stronger IRC performance this year with the mast head kites.

RBYC will have the benefit of the new First 45's Reverie and Schuss this year, and along with JAMH (doing better this year) will have a good chance to upset the other two in IRC.

Will be interesting to see how the teams shape up closer to the event on May 2nd & 3rd....

Dumbpit - Glad to off the last page - love your take on the Ass. Cup. I think that SYC will struggle - not through lack of talent but with what they put out on the field - they often seem to suffer with a bit of internal politics and some people seem to (IMHO) to have their noses out of joint for one reason or another and decide to take their bat and ball home and not play. Pity because they have the fire power to cream all comers - weather permitting.

Just looking forward to a good regatta - I'm sure I will see you out there and my money will probably go on Royals - they seem to "team" very well and evenly over the div's.

Shogun form RYCV ??? You mention the S80's - talk about an evergreen - the shipper Luke and his stable crew on Instrusion, shit they are hard to beat in anything, always sail above their numbers - they deserve a special mention.

Dumbpit - Glad to off the last page - love your take on the Ass. Cup. I think that SYC will struggle - not through lack of talent but with what they put out on the field - they often seem to suffer with a bit of internal politics and some people seem to (IMHO) to have their noses out of joint for one reason or another and decide to take their bat and ball home and not play. Pity because they have the fire power to cream all comers - weather permitting.

Just looking forward to a good regatta - I'm sure I will see you out there and my money will probably go on Royals - they seem to "team" very well and evenly over the div's.

Shogun form RYCV ??? You mention the S80's - talk about an evergreen - the shipper Luke and his stable crew on Instrusion, shit they are hard to beat in anything, always sail above their numbers - they deserve a special mention.

Did I hit the button twice??

• 3 weeks later...

The goss around the docks at SYC suggests the cup remains at Royals for another year. SYC will probably struggle to get good results in div 2 with Intrusion and Young Lion (probably the 2 most consistent boats) not competing with owners away OS. The last time Luke sailed in the association cup, SYC won. Revenge also gone from SYC. Just cant see where they will get enough boats to field a competitive teams across all div 2 handicap fleets to counter Surprise, Wake and the 10's. If div 1 is an even split between the two clubs, then the lack of depth in div 2 (talking Association cup splits here) should determine the overall result.

Time for another fish in the ceiling at Willy I guess.

The goss around the docks at SYC suggests the cup remains at Royals for another year. SYC will probably struggle to get good results in div 2 with Intrusion and Young Lion (probably the 2 most consistent boats) not competing with owners away OS. The last time Luke sailed in the association cup, SYC won. Revenge also gone from SYC. Just cant see where they will get enough boats to field a competitive teams across all div 2 handicap fleets to counter Surprise, Wake and the 10's. If div 1 is an even split between the two clubs, then the lack of depth in div 2 (talking Association cup splits here) should determine the overall result.

Surely SYC has to select Smooth Criminal in Div 1 AMS after a recent massive drop (18 points IIRC!) in her AMS tcf. And then pray for light airs :P Absolut and HorrorZone Sprint to round out that team.

For IRC would they consider the new but untried Veloce? Could be worth a punt as those guys always put up a good show in their previous boat. Flirt is on the improve and could finally break through for a big series. What else if Cougs is again unavailable? Will the new model Beneteau 40 replacement for Alien be here in time and could it be competitive straight out of the box? Or will it be one of the Syd 38 plodders to make up the numbers?

In Div 2, Assailant is being loaded with 'talent' for the occasion and is always competitive but the Divvy 2 fleet tapers off fairly rapidly in terms of real competitiveness after that. Watties Young 88 maybe? What else?

Wouldn't want to deprive RYCV of their annual Ass Cup bragging rights - they'd have nothing else to feel important about in their (comparatively) lean-to little Club house with their fleet of budget racers; albeit usually very well sailed budget racers.

HOW CARES

Assuming that was meant to be WHO T E? Dyslexia will get yuo eevry tmie :(

Only SYC & RYCV care, the rest have been a waste of space for years but maybe, just maybe, RBYC is ready to step up again?

In the grand scheme of things it matters not, so you're probably right T E; who cares indeed!

Surely SYC has to select Smooth Criminal in Div 1 AMS after a recent massive drop (18 points IIRC!) in her AMS tcf. And then pray for light airs :P Absolut and HorrorZone Sprint to round out that team.

For IRC would they consider the new but untried Veloce? Could be worth a punt as those guys always put up a good show in their previous boat. Flirt is on the improve and could finally break through for a big series. What else if Cougs is again unavailable? Will the new model Beneteau 40 replacement for Alien be here in time and could it be competitive straight out of the box? Or will it be one of the Syd 38 plodders to make up the numbers?

In Div 2, Assailant is being loaded with 'talent' for the occasion and is always competitive but the Divvy 2 fleet tapers off fairly rapidly in terms of real competitiveness after that. Watties Young 88 maybe? What else?

Wouldn't want to deprive RYCV of their annual Ass Cup bragging rights - they'd have nothing else to feel important about in their (comparatively) lean-to little Club house with their fleet of budget racers; albeit usually very well sailed budget racers.

Oops, left the mighty Dekadence out of the above mix. My bad! Unless its been sold of course. Any news on that front or are the once hot DK 46s off the shopping lists of the IRC cognoscenti these days?

HOW CARES

Assuming that was meant to be WHO T E? Dyslexia will get yuo eevry tmie :(

Only SYC & RYCV care, the rest have been a waste of space for years but maybe, just maybe, RBYC is ready to step up again?

In the grand scheme of things it matters not, so you're probably right T E; who cares indeed!

Whilst it may only be SYC & RYCV that have a realistic shot at this event, there are still those of us individuals that have an active, heathy interest in inter-club events, and see this as an exciting additional element of our sport, as well as having an element of pride in the Club that we are members of. As a nice change from the rest of the season, inter-club events like Assoc Cup provide a means to actively support your Club, rather than just the individual boat you sail on.

My 2c worth!

Oops, left the mighty Dekadence out of the above mix. My bad! Unless its been sold of course. Any news on that front or are the once hot DK 46s off the shopping lists of the IRC cognoscenti these days?

Oh, dunno, winning the Div 0 Range Series in IRC isn't bad for a 5 year old cruiser racer.

Mex

Oh, dunno, winning the Div 0 Range Series in IRC isn't bad for a 5 year old cruiser racer.

Mex

Agreed. But does anyone else wanna buy it, even after that?

Don & Flatbag partnership, would it work buying a dk46

Oooh yeah, that'd work! Love to sail with him & his blokes with their uncanny ability to find and round marks in the dark. :P

Seriously though, any Asso Cup teams announced yet?

I did not offer Smooth Criminal for selection

Went by SYC for a browse at the new veloce this arvo and she looks nice, but still unfinished. Flirt is parked next to her and I'd suggest she won't be doing the Association Cup. Boom off, all staunchions off, deck being prepared for respray(?). Looks like she has called an early end to the season and is having a little bit of maintenance work done to her.

Went by SYC for a browse at the new veloce this arvo and she looks nice, but still unfinished. Flirt is parked next to her and I'd suggest she won't be doing the Association Cup. Boom off, all staunchions off, deck being prepared for respray(?). Looks like she has called an early end to the season and is having a little bit of maintenance work done to her.

Plus new keel

Shame with that AMS rating.

How can we rely on anything you say mate. I say BULLSHIT!!!

Re read my 2cw at the top of this tread - a lot of people at SYC get all bitter and twisted and take their bat and ball home - Royals may only be a Shantie Town with a General Store, Post Office and a lean too club house but members there care about the club and defending traditions, if RYCV did not defend it would go to Sandie ( Girls spelling ) and remain their for all the B&T brigade to bullshit about what a "Top Prize Cup" this was and how hard SYC defended the right to win it and it would be covered in cigar smoke and bullshit.

As I said - Sandie have the fire power to win the cup but they lack the team spirit Gee, what would I like a Great Big Fancy Club House that is 75% full of piss and bullshit or a Fantastic and friendly club with members that talk to each other and love to sail - they just also happen to have a great fleet of boats that are all available for selection, I have even heard that some a quite dissappointed at not being selected so have offered some of their crew to other boats and / or their boats to other members and friends as viewing platforms just so they all be apart of a team.

If Sandie could get it together they would be a power - but !!!!!!!!!

How can we rely on anything you say mate. I say BULLSHIT!!!

Re read my 2cw at the top of this tread - a lot of people at SYC get all bitter and twisted and take their bat and ball home - Royals may only be a Shantie Town with a General Store, Post Office and a lean too club house but members there care about the club and defending traditions, if RYCV did not defend it would go to Sandie ( Girls spelling ) and remain their for all the B&T brigade to bullshit about what a "Top Prize Cup" this was and how hard SYC defended the right to win it and it would be covered in cigar smoke and bullshit.

As I said - Sandie have the fire power to win the cup but they lack the team spirit Gee, what would I like a Great Big Fancy Club House that is 75% full of piss and bullshit or a Fantastic and friendly club with members that talk to each other and love to sail - they just also happen to have a great fleet of boats that are all available for selection, I have even heard that some a quite dissappointed at not being selected so have offered some of their crew to other boats and / or their boats to other members and friends as viewing platforms just so they all be apart of a team.

If Sandie could get it together they would be a power - but !!!!!!!!!

It used to be that boats not selected made themselves available for other non-keelboat clubs to form a team. Does that not happen now?

Black Rock won the Cup years ago with a team of "rejects" from SYC.

Thoughts? IRC A should be a lock. Not sure on the other divisions

SYC ENTRANTS

IRC-A Cougar ll, Dekadence, Terra Firma

AMS-A Challenge, Smooth Criminal, Scarlett Runner

IRC-B Absolut, Assailant, Alibi

AMS-B Young Lion, Rhiannon, Lebrok

Mex

Thoughts? IRC A should be a lock. Not sure on the other divisions

SYC ENTRANTS

IRC-A Cougar ll, Dekadence, Terra Firma

AMS-A Challenge, Smooth Criminal, Scarlett Runner

IRC-B Absolut, Assailant, Alibi

AMS-B Young Lion, Rhiannon, Lebrok

Mex

Official entry list now on RYCV Web Site: www.rycv.asn.au/sailing/entryList.html?MenuID=Sailing%2Fc13837%2F0%2F%2CRacing%2F13051%2F0%2F

so smoothie in syc team after all, even tho not available, how come don?

Never said Smooth Criminal wasn't available, I stated I did not offer SC for selection.

Big Difference.

Never said Smooth Criminal wasn't available, I stated I did not offer SC for selection.

Big Difference.

When are you running for local government? You're suitability for political life seems assured with a response such as that.

Mex

Big Difference.

When are you running for local government? You're suitability for political life seems assured with a response such as that.

Mex

Predicted wind speed for the coming weekend might wipe the smile off Don's duplicitous dial. Can you use bullshit for ballast? If so he should be OK :lol:

Based on the teams listed, my assessment / prediction:

IRC-A - Very tight between RYCV, SYC and RBYC. RBYC's Bene F45's performing well to provide strong competition to RYCV/SYC's teams, particularly if there is breeze around. SYC seems strong all-around, with Div 0 boats likely to perform strongly against others. Cougar Vs Living Doll will be a good matchup. Dekadence sailing very well recently, anf Terra Firma has also been improving recently. For RYCV Exec Decision is always in the top places, but Shogun is marginal compared to the other Div 0 entrants. Overall SYC in a close one.

IRC-B - RYCV will win. Surprise and Apache is a strong combination, although Espresso is usually beaten by Assailant in the S80's. SYC's Absolut and Assailant will provide a challenge to RYCV, but won't match the strength of RYCV's top 2. Alibi is marginal, but may suit id conditions favour the bigger boats in this division. Intrusion could have been a useful addition to this division for SYC, but is not there.

AMS-A - this one is closer than expected. RYCV's Wake is strong, particularly in the light, in their once-a-year appearance. Chutzpah and Swordfish, however are beatable on AMS. If its light, SYC's Smooth Criminal will be strong, probably a match for Wake. The S/38's, however, are average, although sailing better with the masthead kites. Interesting that Horizon Sprint is not listed in SYC's team! Don't rate the other teams. Overall, I think SYC might grab this one by a whisker.

AMS-B - Another close one, but I think RYCV will take this. Godzilla is marginal, although hard to beat in the lighter airs if sailed well. Top Gun, being an Adams, will be hard to beat, and Footloose can go well if the conditions suit the smaller boats. SYC's Rhiannon is competitive if conditions suit smaller boats. Young Lion is a definite strength, and LeBrok is marginal although sailing well recently.

Overall, the competition looks quite close, and RBYC could prove to be the spoiler for SYC in IRC-A. RYCV's strength in the B divisions will help them get across the line - again!

Big Difference.

Mex

Plus 1 Mex - As I said earlier, to much politics and bullshit, what a reply, shit I nearly got a girl a little pregnant years ago !!! You can just smell the team spirit of Sandie from here, if you hear a call of Starboard during the weekend - it will most likely be a Sandie boat calling another Sandie boat - What a joke!

All the firepower and no spirit - as useful as the Pope's testicles.

Hope everyone enjoys the sailing.

Blue

IRC-A - Very tight between RYCV, SYC and RBYC. RBYC's Bene F45's performing well to provide strong competition to RYCV/SYC's teams, particularly if there is breeze around. SYC seems strong all-around, with Div 0 boats likely to perform strongly against others. Cougar Vs Living Doll will be a good matchup. Dekadence sailing very well recently, anf Terra Firma has also been improving recently. For RYCV Exec Decision is always in the top places, but Shogun is marginal compared to the other Div 0 entrants. Overall SYC in a close one.

IRC-B - RYCV will win. Surprise and Apache is a strong combination, although Espresso is usually beaten by Assailant in the S80's. SYC's Absolut and Assailant will provide a challenge to RYCV, but won't match the strength of RYCV's top 2. Alibi is marginal, but may suit id conditions favour the bigger boats in this division. Intrusion could have been a useful addition to this division for SYC, but is not there.

AMS-A - this one is closer than expected. RYCV's Wake is strong, particularly in the light, in their once-a-year appearance. Chutzpah and Swordfish, however are beatable on AMS. If its light, SYC's Smooth Criminal will be strong, probably a match for Wake. The S/38's, however, are average, although sailing better with the masthead kites. Interesting that Horizon Sprint is not listed in SYC's team! Don't rate the other teams. Overall, I think SYC might grab this one by a whisker.

AMS-B - Another close one, but I think RYCV will take this. Godzilla is marginal, although hard to beat in the lighter airs if sailed well. Top Gun, being an Adams, will be hard to beat, and Footloose can go well if the conditions suit the smaller boats. SYC's Rhiannon is competitive if conditions suit smaller boats. Young Lion is a definite strength, and LeBrok is marginal although sailing well recently.

Overall, the competition looks quite close, and RBYC could prove to be the spoiler for SYC in IRC-A. RYCV's strength in the B divisions will help them get across the line - again!

+1

Logically presented and I reckon you have got the predictions fairly spot on.

There's a couple of SYC boats I would prefer to see there, like Intrusion, but don't know if they were available. If SYC want to win this, we need to field the best team, which unfortunately we haven't this time. I hope they prove me wrong.

Hey Dumbpit nice avatar ,I hope you rang Richard Bennett for its use. Even Wharro had to pay for a copy :angry:

On the subject of Wharro .He has lost his sponsorship from Skandia. They have been sold again to IOOF who pulled the plug. Shame, it has been a long term partnership which has been good for the exposure of sailing.

Hey Dumbpit nice avatar ,I hope you rang Richard Bennett for its use. Even Wharro had to pay for a copy :angry:

On the subject of Wharro .He has lost his sponsorship from Skandia. They have been sold again to IOOF who pulled the plug. Shame, it has been a long term partnership which has been good for the exposure of sailing.

I wonder if that will flow on to Geelong Week, or Cowes Week even.

IOOF have only purchased the Oz operations & will change the Skandia name in the near future according to the press release I got as a shareholder. So I guess Geelong will change as well. Peeling all that blue sticky back off is gunna take some time.

Already gone from Cowes Week. Expect Audi to take over Geelong. Wharro last seen with an Opti - maybe scaling down?

Whilst Cougar and LD are both very good boats and have done very well, Shogun has beaten them in the last regatta she has sailed against either. Not to say she can do it repeatedly but a bit rough to call it marginal performing boat. it has taken a while but slowly on the improve, won't beat the full pro driven boats but getting better.

Avatar changed to protest the innocent.. :unsure: would hate to deprive Mr Bennett of any hard-earned.. <_<

Whilst Cougar and LD are both very good boats and have done very well, Shogun has beaten them in the last regatta she has sailed against either. Not to say she can do it repeatedly but a bit rough to call it marginal performing boat. it has taken a while but slowly on the improve, won't beat the full pro driven boats but getting better.

Which regatta would that be?

BlueV - you do yourself no favours continually slagging off other clubs.

How about praising the one you sail out of eh.

Nearly a fair call phb - may have slagged the club and how some of them seem to react, but if you reread you will see that in nearly ALL threads I have been praise worthy in the boats and crews from these clubs. but how heir egos or mindsets cloud their better judgement

Read how I say they could / should be unbeatable and praise the likes of Intrusion, both Skipper and crew and how well I believe they could do, as for praising the club I sail from, I think that I have done a pretty fair job of already doing that.

I like the way you post phb so if you think I slagged other clubs thats your call, it was not my intent - it was just to give m2cw as to how petty some can be when it comes to the Ass.Cup - IMHO it is often the case of egos before tradition.

Again, I hope it is a great weekend of sailing

BlueV - you do yourself no favours continually slagging off other clubs.

How about praising the one you sail out of eh.

phb - Fair call, but as for slagging off other clubs - not my intent - maybe having an opinion as to how some people seem to react to being overlooked or not having their ego's stroked , perhaps.

I don't see (if you reread above threads) how I have slagged said club (Sandie) i have only said it is my belief that they are unbeatable and have praised boats, skippers and crews that sail there.

The bit about praising the club I sail out of, I think I have done a fair job in this regard already - maybe you think I sail from a different club? Anyway, I like and enjoy the way you post, so sorry if you think I slagged to much - didn't think it was possible on this site, but IMHO I beleive that certain egos do get in the way of tradition when it comes to the Ass. Cup.

Hope the weekend brings some great sailing.

Cougar-Skandia week

Living Doll- Audi series

Cougar-Skandia week

Living Doll- Audi series

Very selective ocs. Cougar had a shocker at Skandia, their first bad one in a long time. The Dolly had a shocker at Audi Sydney.

Cougar-Skandia week

Living Doll- Audi series

Very selective ocs. Cougar had a shocker at Skandia, their first bad one in a long time. The Dolly had a shocker at Audi Sydney.

agreed, Shogun has had plenty of shockers and no doubt a few more, but fact is they have beaten them the last time they raced a regatta against them and well may never again. Living Doll is a very good boat and Cougar is exceptionally sailed, no doubt. But you claimed Shogun was marginal performance and you may be proved right at weekend but she also gave quest a run for her money on weekend at Port Stephens. I am not talking up Shoguns chances (to the contrary compared generally to the other two), but think you are being a touch dissmissive in your assessement.

Cougar-Skandia week

Living Doll- Audi series

The Dolly had a shocker at Audi Sydney.

yeah, that happens when you're the most OCS recalled boat in the regatta, and consistently hit the wrong side of the course in every race.

Who's going to be steering Cougar ?

Pete Williams.

Might be a grand finale, if the whispers are true.

Maybe. But Mum's laid down a new law after Georgia's loss.

I suspect if that does happen, Allan might have trouble maintaining a solid crew.

Your not suggesting that his mum has told him to stay calm and stop trying to chat up cougar's at the bar ?

Isn't he married now. Must be close - though that might not stop him trying. Old habits die hard.

Mum's law is a different matter.

It's a beautiful day for the races...

Looks like Don is off the hook with earlier predictions of honking breezes having made way for much lighter stuff so expect Smoothie to fly today.

As for a team winner? Too close to call for mine. Good luck all.

Congrats must go to the three Adams10s. Executive Decision, Top Gun and Salamander, three divisions of the four, for two wins and a third.

Anyone in Melbourne want to buy ours?

Crap ending of the regatta... racing abandoned today due to no wind. RO copped fair amount of crap for not starting in the 5-6kn that was around at the proposed start time, but he was correct in predicting that it would drop out to zip - it did! Some question remains whether a race could have been run while the wind was around, but its RO's call...

Pity that only 1 race was run for the regatta, but this time of the year is notorious for these conditions (should this regatta be moved to different time?)

Congrats to RYCV for yet another win.

Congrats must go to the three Adams10s. Executive Decision, Top Gun and Salamander, three divisions of the four, for two wins and a third.

Whatr ya got there Phil I'm in the market.

RO copped fair amount of crap for not starting in the 5-6kn that was around at the proposed start time, but he was correct in predicting that it would drop out to zip - it did! Some question remains whether a race could have been run while the wind was around, but its RO's call...

The wind wasn't staying around. I was near the Gellibrand pile light calling the numbers for Dave at 10 AM and the numbers were 2.5 - 4.5 knots, swing 010 - 340 continuously.....and by 10.30 AM the entire left side of the course was Zero ks and by 10.45 the Gellibrand was Zero kts and it stayed that way.

translation: The entire course would have been a parking lot.

Crap ending of the regatta... racing abandoned today due to no wind. RO copped fair amount of crap for not starting in the 5-6kn that was around at the proposed start time, but he was correct in predicting that it would drop out to zip - it did! Some question remains whether a race could have been run while the wind was around, but its RO's call...

Pity that only 1 race was run for the regatta, but this time of the year is notorious for these conditions (should this regatta be moved to different time?)

Congrats to RYCV for yet another win.

And the crap would of come from the boats that benefit from the 5-6knt range. The RO was correct .

Drop me a pm with your email address and I'll send you some details.

The boat is Animus. I have lots of photos on the Association website.

Congrats to the 10's. They are great fun indeed and I wish I had the time to keep sailing mine.

Archived