What is the course for the Duxship race?

Tinkerer007

Here is the description from the race instructions:

COURSE: From the start, to Duxbury Reef (YRA DUX) Whistle Buoy "1DR" to port, then to

Approach Buoy R "SF" (YRA SF) to port, then to the finish.

I found Whistle Buoy "1DR" just South of Bolinas Bay:

NOAA charts showing DUXSHIP

But what is Approach Buoy R "SF"? Is that the Lightship / Light Bucket?

Thanks.

Yep Duxbury to port-Lightship to port= Duxship race

They will most likley have a short course so watch for the SI's

Where can I find SI's? Is that really the course? Only have to round the light bucket on the way back in?

You also have guys on board that know the course and also carry hand held GPS, so you should be set.

If I know your crew, which I believe I do, you will have some of the best local talent on board.

Best of luck to you.

SW

Where can I find SI's? Is that really the course? Only have to round the light bucket on the way back in?

Duxship 2009 SI's

Piece of cake.

What year was it that the big Andrews cracked a few ribs?

2003 or 4 I'm 55 and memory isn't perfect. Cipango trashed every kite and both poles, then proceeded to tear out the bulkheads at 28 kts. I've sailed on her quite a bit, and those flat forward sections really pound like a bitch when you're flying the boat off of the tops. It's quieter if someone were to hit you in the head with an aluminum trash pail.

BTW, the "new and improved" Cipango will be racing the Coastal Cup and TransPac sporting one of Medicine Man's old strut/bulb keels, which is 3K lbs lighter than the original fin while maintaining the same COE.

I think it was 2007 that nearly the entire DuxShip course was up frigging wind. I think we ended up setting just off of Mile Rock after beating and reaching everywhere.

Looks like tomorrow will also be up wind all the way to Duxbury mark. At least there's an ebb early then a flood to get you back in.

I think it was 2007 that nearly the entire DuxShip course was up frigging wind. I think we ended up setting just off of Mile Rock after beating and reaching everywhere.

Looks like tomorrow will also be up wind all the way to Duxbury mark. At least there's an ebb early then a flood to get you back in.

Looks like it'll be a loooooong day tomorrow. On the bright side, we might get to use our shiney code zero. We'll see if it's worth the rating hit for all the other races we'll never use it in............

whatupdog?

Race called off around 10:30 for????

Yeah.. what happened?

Wandered down to the beach around 1:00.. no boats looking in trim. Just a couple looking casual.

It was light, but enough breeze outside to keep a boat moving.

Beautiful day.

WTF happend????

I would be so pissed...........

I am really fucking pissed! I gave up a long weekend in San Diego with my GF for this shit. WTF?! Wherever I've ever sailed you end up having to sail in some light stuff. It is what sorts the men from the boys. Any retard can make a boat go fast in breeze. Not all can in the light. That said, we ended up practicing on the 50 for what seemed like an eternity. Can't say that I learned too much, but some of the other guys came a long way. I'm also learning that there is this "I'm the rockstar" "I'm in charge" feeling from anyone who is "good" out here. There has only been a handfull of times I've been out that there wasn't some douche or multiple douches that thought they were the shit and took over. I've only seen this a couple of times in my life since I got here. Now it seems like every race or practice. That said, we did have a guy from the RP45 and a TP program on yesterday named Kevin Moon. That fucker knows his shit and is the polar opposite from the others. Kevin knew his shit and presented it in a cool normal team player way. If he weren't on the boat yesterday, I would have given up hope for the sailing scene out here. Glad I'm back in Annapolis next week, on a nice quiet U20 the next week, and my next 2 distance races are in the northeast. I need a break from this clownery!

I need a break from this clownery!

I have to believe this is why the SFBaySSS (shorthanded) scene has grown so much. I started racing DH and then SH several years ago and have no desire to go back to managing crew. SSS is a great group of people who know from experience that Neptune can kick your ass anytime he feels like it. No attitude, just looking out for each other out there.

For crewed racing, around here it's more fun to stick to smaller boats (read smaller crews) and race with people you like. That's also where you'll find many of the most skilled sailors.

JP,

As a member of the host club, I wish they had just started the damn race and let us determine whether or not there was enough wind to sail. It's an ocean race, and just like golf, we have to play the course. I don't get it either.

Moonie is one of the really good guys out there. You guys were lucky to have him aboard. We did the same practice thing...about 50 gybes, sail changes, sail testing....my arms are going to fall off.

Yep, the Ed and I have reached an understanding. I'm back.

I need a break from this clownery!

I have to believe this is why the SFBaySSS (shorthanded) scene has grown so much. I started racing DH and then SH several years ago and have no desire to go back to managing crew. SSS is a great group of people who know from experience that Neptune can kick your ass anytime he feels like it. No attitude, just looking out for each other out there.

For crewed racing, around here it's more fun to stick to smaller boats (read smaller crews) and race with people you like. That's also where you'll find many of the most skilled sailors.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess I really do need to gat a job, and race my own boat. ;)

JP,

As a member of the host club, I wish they had just started the damn race and let us determine whether or not there was enough wind to sail. It's an ocean race, and just like golf, we have to play the course. I don't get it either.

Moonie is one of the really good guys out there. You guys were lucky to have him aboard. We did the same practice thing...about 50 gybes, sail changes, sail testing....my arms are going to fall off.

Yep, the Ed and I have reached an understanding. I'm back.

Yeah, all RC has to do is sip drinks all day and moniter the VHF for drop outs and start taking finishes by late happy hour time. How hard would that be? Oh, and we should start DHing yer big boat. Get me away from these "pros" and all the egos around here!

We did the course anyway.

Crew got to sleep some. One of the guys wanted to practice cooking. Was great for us, but he didn't fare so well, but after a short nap and a sail change, he was better. Other crew got to drive to get a feel for the boat. We got to try out some stay sails that came with the boat.

Over all, it was a great day. We finished at 4:37 at SFYC.

Would have been more fun if the race was on. But it would have been an interesting drift fest to the South Tower. (Seemed like the Demon was sleeping though.)

I was doing J/Fest this weekend, and the ebb was looking like No Fun for the smaller players. The downwind legs in the J/24 were pretty ghastly, just trying to get from the inside of the bridge to the bouy at Alcatraz. The duxship course is long enough, though, that you probably get to ride the flood home, eh?

We finishe at 4:37. Slack was around 4:30. Maybe a little ride on the flood.

At the light ship, there were 2 container ships heading in that we go to race. I think it was a little early for them to be there. I thought they were pretty sensitive to the currents, and trying to ride the tides.

We back to the estuary just as the second container ship was docking. Got pushed around by the wash of the tugs pushing the ship to the dock.

I was doing J/Fest this weekend, and the ebb was looking like No Fun for the smaller players. The downwind legs in the J/24 were pretty ghastly, just trying to get from the inside of the bridge to the bouy at Alcatraz. The duxship course is long enough, though, that you probably get to ride the flood home, eh?
Get me away from these "pros" and all the egos around here!

"pro" just means you get paid....

That's why I put the quotes around pro. I looked today and the only one on our boat from this weekend registered with ISAF besides me was Moon. Odd that the "pros" aren't registered.................

You and Anna are welcome aboard anytime!

You just wanna see Anna's ass. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
I don't see Stork or John volunteering to be race committee. :ph34r: Now Stork and the Ed have chased off one of the few folk who was volunteering to do the thankless job.

Au contraire my friend. Stork and his wife have done RC for years for the SSS, and they've spent more than a few nights camped out on the floor of the GGYC waiting for racers to finish. He's also volunteered as OYRA president for four terms and continues to serve on the BOD of the YRA as the buoy minder. You need to look a little deeper to find someone that's spent more time working for the racing community on SF Bay.

Listen, the PRO of the Duxship Race is a friend of mine, and I've served on his RC's for a couple of seasons. I have a great deal of respect for him. That said, he made a bad call, and I don't think it's in his or the OYRA's best interest to hide behind the excuse of "I made what I felt was the best decision based upon the information that I had at the time". Charles is a very good PRO who had a very bad morning, influenced greatly by an interfering OYRA president who feels like he has cornered the market on NOAA access and weather forecasting; and a week of harassment from the USCG following the loss of the J-80. Personally, I think that if he had a bit more experience racing on the ocean, he wouldn't have made the decision that he did.

No one appreciates the work that RC's do more than we do, because most of the DB crew volunteers for RC at various times, or has served their respective clubs for many years. We just want to make sure that the decision to race or NOT race is left up to the skippers, with the lone exceptions of extreme or hazardous sea conditions.

I don't see Stork or John volunteering to be race committee. :ph34r: Now Stork and the Ed have chased off one of the few folk who was volunteering to do the thankless job.

Apparently you don't know John very well....... Or Stork as NS explained.

Methinks he actually does know both of them quite well.

Methinks he actually does know both of them quite well.

I know John well enough to know he spends quite a bit of his time working for sailing in general, as well as promoting junior and youth programs and has been on several race committees.

Maybe Pt. Blunt Eddy can't "see" because he disagrees with the opinions expressed.

It's fine to disagree, not so fine to lie about someone who writes what he feels and signs his name.

Maybe it would be prudent to read John's letter to Latitude 38, (again?). His letter is not a personal attack, it's a well reasoned point of view.

I wonder who's sock puppet the Blunt one represents? Blunt unit should write a letter and present an opposing viewpoint, then SIGN HIS NAME.

Archived