web based crew/boat management systems

Teddy

Compete-At tells us they are discontinuing SailTeam which we used last year and are using this year. Anybody have any experience with other crew/boat management systems? We have until the end of Jully to switch to another system or go back to Excel sheets.

Ted

Compete-At tells us they are discontinuing SailTeam which we used last year and are using this year. Anybody have any experience with other crew/boat management systems? We have until the end of Jully to switch to another system or go back to Excel sheets.

Ted

We have a crew member working on a solution - will keep you posted.....

I work in the music business doing large events and concerts and we use an web based tool called Basecamp. You pay a subscription fee and are able to do the following: Track conversations and send messages to your team, upload files (with the option to upload new versions), assign milestones and to do lists to certain people on your team, collaborate and write with people using what they call a write board (it's a doc that others can update if you give them permission), have multiple projects going at one time and a lot more.

I highly suggest looking into a free trial of Basecamp. Their fees can be as low as $20 per month I think.

As far as a website goes, google sites suck. Why don't you open up a wordpress blog and get a custom URL? I moved over the Route Halifax Saint Pierre Ocean Race site to a worpress blog from custom and it only took me 3 hours. www.routehsp.com (custom URL is just redirected at this point).

Another cool piece is Blogger. You can do custom URLs there too but the best part is you can email in updates from the race course. Just assign an update email when you set up your blogger account. With blogger there is very limited custom design.

Thx guys. I'll take a look at those. One of our crew suggested

http://www.crewsignup.com/

Apparently some Chicago boats are using and they seem to like it. I'll look at all of the suggestions y'all have made.

used www.crewsignup.com before wrt a number of boats, including the owner who wrote the software

(kinda like that course where the required textbook was required because it was written by the professor... )

it works well enough, despite the klunky interface and lack of ability to look at past events.

this year also using www.ttsail.com

rather pretty, but not yet convinced it will turn around my mixed opinion towards all crew mgmt software to date

just got reminded that I need to update my schedule... and so will have more knowledgeable experience as season progresses.

both www.crewsignup.com and www.ttsail.com are FREE.

surprised neither have been mentioned yet in this thread...

I use Google ... particularly the calendar ... free & allows for multiple calendars.

Not sure about resource management but google has a reader app & other things which could be used to do thing like document sharing.

Really cool though since it connects in with my G1 (Android) Phone.

I had developed a solution that does this type of thing years ago .. if you are interested in testing let me know, It was developed for Chesapeake Bay Racing at Regattasource.com. I have not done much recently to manage it but It does crew management, schedules & entry management. Other features are available upon request.

Ted

We use TTSail www.ttsail.com for our scheduling etc.

Works for us

Tim

Ted

I've been following this post...

The website that I will be marketing very soon has many of these features but has been geared more for finding crew and less about managing them.

It might be fairly easy to add crew management features if that is something most people need. What features make a good / shitty crew management website?

Thanks For The Feedback...

-ThreeSheets

P.S. CrewIntentions.com is the website....I know..shameless plug.

Has anyone used google with success. I'm using "sites" for the boat web site and then google spreadsheet to post a schedule but have not yet figured out what to use for inviting crew, notifyong people of schedule, etc.

Ideas would be most welcome.

just looked at ttsail. great for usa users, but sucks for the rest of the world. can't even properly register outside of the usa. not a great list of boats for your profile either. not sure i like the idea of having to redirect a domain to it. especially one they want you to buy from them if you don't have one already. i realize you can add your own regattas, and that's actually the idea behind a crew management site, so why do you need a pre compiled list of regattas from them? i know we won't be attending any of their listed events.

gonna give it a thumbs down and a pass.

crewsignup seems chicago centric. and "free for this year".

I've got some websites that use member registrations and event calendars....

I could probably quite easily adapt these to sailing....

interface my be a bit techie for some though....

i could have a look and see how much time it will take me.... though I think my hosting would increase about $10 per month.

We use TTSail www.ttsail.com for our scheduling etc.

Works for us

Tim

+1 http://www.ttsail.com/

Free signup but you need your own domain (or subdomain) redirected to their site. You can register your own domain for $10 with them. I've got j30rhapsody.com with TTSail

another vote for http://www.ttsail.com/

We're a US based boat. Found the site during the off-season. Will start using it this year. Yes the content management options are very limited. However, I like the ability to point crew and potential crew to the schedule. Time will tell.

How about this solution?

Crew Control is the result of years of dealing with recurring problems with crew and yacht management. There has always been problems’ finding enough experienced crew available regularly to be competitive, particularly yachts with hectic racing schedules. Yacht and crew management is always a significant hurdle to overcome. Crew Control is a unique yacht-management tool that helps you to manage your race schedule, crew and crew availability, so your greatest challenge is where it should be…on the water!

crew_control_ad.jpg_sml.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
just looked at ttsail. great for usa users, but sucks for the rest of the world. can't even properly register outside of the usa. not a great list of boats for your profile either. not sure i like the idea of having to redirect a domain to it. especially one they want you to buy from them if you don't have one already. i realize you can add your own regattas, and that's actually the idea behind a crew management site, so why do you need a pre compiled list of regattas from them? i know we won't be attending any of their listed events.

gonna give it a thumbs down and a pass.

Sorry you feel this way. We do have a number of non-US boats using telltale. I know that the initial signup form asks for an address in a US based format but was there something other than that that made you feel it was too US-centric?

The list of regattas is merely intended to easy entry for people by having most of the info for the regatta filled out. Honestly we don't even have a list for the current season so everyone is entering their own events. The idea is to allow you to use telltale for regattas but also for practice runs and even for the backyard bbq if you wish.

As for requiring a domain name that's just because of how the site is currently setup. If you have a domain you can certainly use it and if you're savvy enough you can even use a subdomain of a domain you're using for something else. We don't make any money at all on domain registrations - it's just a convenient way to let people signup for a domain and we (automatically) handle all the tricky bits like setting up your name server that the average non-geek doesn't know or care about. I've wondered if something like yourboat.ttsail.com would be of interest to people who don't have or otherwise want a domain name. If there's enough interest in something like that it's surely something we can do.

Telltale is just one of many things we work on but we are pretty responsive to customer input so if there's something you'd like to see please let us know.

Hi Guys,

I am the owner of the website Crew Control (the info that DryArmour posted above).

I have just finished this website and recently advertised in the e-anarchy.

If anyone here wants to use the site for free for the first 6 months, please send me an email at admin at crew-control.com.

My site, allows you to add in unlimited crew members and races and allows the skipper to track crew availability as well as manage personal and emergency contact details. And unlike some of the other options available out there, you don't need to stuff around with domain names or anything like that. And its only $30 AUD per month (which is about $22 US)

Also, i am running a competition until the end of may where all signups will go into the draw to win one of two free 12 month subscriptions to the site.

Cool huh?

Hi Guys,

I am the owner of the website Crew Control (the info that DryArmour posted above).

I have just finished this website and recently advertised in the e-anarchy.

If anyone here wants to use the site for free for the first 6 months, please send me an email at admin at crew-control.com.

My site, allows you to add in unlimited crew members and races and allows the skipper to track crew availability as well as manage personal and emergency contact details. And unlike some of the other options available out there, you don't need to stuff around with domain names or anything like that. And its only $30 AUD per month (which is about $22 US)

Also, i am running a competition until the end of may where all signups will go into the draw to win one of two free 12 month subscriptions to the site.

Cool huh?

Before you give this guy access to any of your personal information you might want to read this thread.

• 4 years later...

I just got the word that TTSail is no longer supported after filing a trouble ticket. The site is going to be taken down. A major disappointment for me as I've used it since 2008.

This thread has lots of old info... Does anyone have a recommendation for a crew management website? I'd even consider hosting on my own domain if there were something with plugin for WordPress or other open source software.

What I want is the basics:

1. I setup the boat schedule with events crew can sign up for.

2. I limit the number of crew members per event and can load some of the crew in advance

3. People can sign up for an event - maybe some simple password check or other to prevent russian brides from signing up --- maybe that wouldn't be too bad after the regatta :-)

4. Results could be loaded tied to an event.

What are people currently using to do this in 2014?

Another option that is being used by some in the area is:

http://teamer.net/pages/about#

http://teamer.net/pages/apps

With email, texting, social media + IOS & Android apps that let's people interact, share pictures, etc.

I haven't used it yet but will have at least a bit of feedback as the season progresses.

www.teamsnap.com

My daughter's hockey team uses it. It has some nice features: calendar subscriptions, group emails, roster with contacts, availability management, results tracking etc. Free.

I think it even has photos sharing.

I am sure you can manage a racing campaign on it.

+1 on TeamSnap

You can maintain a roster, have a calendar with signups and availability, Send emails, store pictures. The only downside is that it's predicated on a 1:1 type team event, and so it tends to use language like "Myboat vs. Rolex Big Boat Series" for automated construction of event notices. But that's cosmetic - it works well in every other respect. There is a also an externally viewable web page and you can post as much or as little of the team information (for example, show the schedule, but not the roster) as you like.

I work in interactive and have found all of the various web based tools pretty lacking in one way or another.

In the end what works best for us is Facebook events.

We set up a group for the boat and invited the crew pool to it.

Once a season I add all the races as individual events. People can then put themselves down as "maybe" or "going". If I get more than I need then I reserve the right to choose the best crew from the people available.

Everyone has Facebook so it's easy for the crew, and we can also share race reports, stupid photos and I can show them how hard we work on the boat to make it all nice for them to race on.

I setup a new site using TeamSnap. It looks pretty good with most of the features I wanted. I haven't figured out yet if there is a way for me to limit the number of crew for an event. I may have to manually select those on the crew if there are more than the desired number who sign up. Anyone have ideas on how to do this with TeamSnap?

Users who want to can link it to their Facebook page and login. I only login to Facebook once per quarter, so it doesn't do anything for me but may help others on the team.

Archived