Lake Ontario Anarchy

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are launching tomorrow just so that the boat does not dry out.  No rush for the stick but hope to sail sometime this year.  Good year for varnish work!  

What happens to all the boats in the water when the second Covid-19 spike arrives in October?  Does haul-out get cancelled?

Now at 17 registered for LYRA. It's looking like a very good turnout for this year's event. Lots of OD fleets anticipated: Olson 30's, Etchells, J/80's, J/27's, 8mR, R-Class. Possibly Sharks. Plus all

Posted Images

National is launching over 2 days - June 6/7.  My boat may stay in storage for the summer - would anyone want to be in close quarters racing?

Not sure about haul-out.  Tyvek suits and respirators perhaps.  

1 minute ago, KC64000 said:

National is launching over 2 days - June 6/7.  My boat may stay in storage for the summer - would anyone want to be in close quarters racing?

Not sure about haul-out.  Tyvek suits and respirators perhaps.  

Does anyone want to be in close quarters doing race committee?

We are launching tomorrow just so that the boat does not dry out.  No rush for the stick but hope to sail sometime this year.  Good year for varnish work!

6BEE162F-F7D7-4D68-831B-5BFCD516F231_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.27a60b74c7f93f2422ac1a01e52f833a.jpeg

• Like 6

National keeps moving things - launch is now June 13-14.  At this rate, we will get the mast up and tuned, in time to take them out again.......

On 5/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, bellum said:

What happens to all the boats in the water when the second Covid-19 spike arrives in October?  Does haul-out get cancelled?

Good point - the season is already so short, and the second spike (and 3rd) follow historic sequence for pandemics so better to expect them and plan accordingly.

Seems a good year to own a day sailer/dinghy....sigh.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:56 AM, Thisbe_8Can9 said:

6BEE162F-F7D7-4D68-831B-5BFCD516F231_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.27a60b74c7f93f2422ac1a01e52f833a.jpeg

She looks amazing, Thisbe.  Enjoy what you can, of the season.

Still deciding if I will actually bring the boat to the club this year.  Happy it sits on a trailer in storage.  Social distancing on a Melges 20 is a bit of a challenge and single-handing, nope.

• 7 months later...

10 days of racing in Youngstown, lets hope for great weather and open borders! Reposted from the regatta chairman:

Join us in Youngstown for a 10 day sailing extravaganza!

Time spent with friends is always well spent!

In July, 1971 I jumped onto my Grandfather’s C&C 35 mk1, and set off for my first LYRA. It was in Toronto, at the Island Yacht Club. I was barely 13.

I think that, my father Skip was proud; I know that my mother was terrified.

A whole new world was opened to me.

Two-years later, In 1973, LYRA was a port-to-port style event along the North Shore clubs. Race=>party, race=>party. It was heaven for a 15-year old.

What was LYRA in those days?

We got onto boats with our families and friends and spent a week +/-.

We did deliveries (some call them transports). It is amazing how simply getting a sailing vessel from point-A to point-B can create so many epic memories; many still discussed to this day.

We did races of character and depth. There were bloopers and triple-slotting (a lost art for sure), to keep the whole team busy, for hours on end. We had line squalls, Northern Lights and St. Elmo’s fire.

We visited many clubs on Lake’s Ontario and Erie. Some were big and fancy; others, small and folksy. From these clubs, we grabbed their best ideas and brought them home to make them our own.

Most importantly, we made friends. We reinforced old friendships. We traded crews, boats and skippers. These are our ‘LYRA’ friends. These are our friends.

Now; we tend to focus on banging off quick races around a windward-leeward course. 45 minutes is the target time. That is OK too.

On July 23, 2021, deliver (transport) your boat to Youngstown. July 24th and 25th, enjoy 2-days of the great course-racing that the YYC is famous for, at the CanAm Regatta.

Monday, July 26th, sail in the 18 mile ‘feeder to the Founders’ fun race from Niagara to Olcott. No prizes, just for fun. What happens in Olcott that night; stays in Olcott.

Tuesday, July 27 there are (3) feeder races: 

·     CENTENNIAL Cup: Rochester to Niagara

·     FOUNDERS NORTH: GTA to Niagara

·     FOUNDERS SOUTH: Olcott to Niagara

On Wednesday July 28th, we have late-afternoon starts for the Freeman Races:

·     FREEMAN SHORT: 61 Nautical Miles, Niagara=>Olcott=>Niagara (R2)=>Olcott=>Niagara

·     FREEMAN LONG: 106 Nautical Miles, Niagara=>Oak Orchard=>Niagara (R2)=>Olcott=>Niagara

Finally, more course racing.

·     July 30-Aug 1: Three-day course racing

·     July 31-Aug 1: Two-day course racing

It is going to be like an olde time LYRA on steroids.

So on July 23, get on your boat with your family and friends and spend a week.

Kevin Doyle,

YYC LYRA Chairman

• 3 months later...

We were schedule to lauch May 7th, but it was delayed to June 4th for some reason. I managed to remove the winter cover before the stay-at-home and border closure. Racing might be limited to competitive cruise at our club.

We have had May 15 launch date for some time but the marina postponed it indefinitely this past week. To be honest I was surprised it wasn't postponed when the newest lockdown happened but I didn't read the lockdown rules/exceptions that carefully either.

Our club launch went from beginning of May to the end. Not a racer but hoping to go to the North Channel this summer. Was going to go to Newfoundland but don't think that is happening.

Ontario government reaffirmed yesterday that outdoor sports like golf and tennis (and sailing/boating by inference) are still not allowed for the foreseeable future.  You are allowed to launch your boat but it has to remain at the dock and you cant sleep over on it either.  As for racing, start looking to 2022.

6 hours ago, Thisbe_8Can9 said:

Ontario government reaffirmed yesterday that outdoor sports like golf and tennis (and sailing/boating by inference) are still not allowed for the foreseeable future.  You are allowed to launch your boat but it has to remain at the dock and you cant sleep over on it either.  As for racing, start looking to 2022.

That was the Minister of Health in response to a question from an ex-caucus member. It is an absurd position and one that is not supported by the Ontario Science Table advising the government, whose members are now openly contradicting the Minister. 

There are no other jurisdictions in the country or elsewhere that are doing this. Outdoor transmission risk is negligible. It's bad law.