my 1st Chi-Mac race

dacapo

have seen it all..owners/crew arrests...drunks riding bikes into trees... some lucky dude gettin head on the lawn of the fort the blanket going up and down

Why do you have to talk about me like that?

TBJ I don't think I ever saw you arrested, but I think we were walking back from Pony/Horns/French Outpost when the Guy came down the hill and meet up with the tree...wasn't he close to wacking his head on a concrete bench? fuzzy memories

And the rotund milk white tourists from Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota wandering around aimlessly while stopping constantly in the middle of crowded walks and stampeding the bargain t shirt racks are known as Fudgies.

Best insult ever. I nearly fell over laughing when I first heard someone call someone that on the island.

Much more simple than that... If you aren't from northern lower Michigan (TC and north), you are one.

Bronco ///over your boat....better than bites tho! It can be quite entertaining.

BTW photo of Blue & White shreds is J35 BAD DOG.

-SD

Yep, how did you get that photo? Taken by the Touch of Grey Crew. We were battling and surfing towards Grays and kind of forgot about the shoal and had to reach up to go around. Too much air for reaching with a .6 oz runner. Insurance paid nicely though!

• 2 weeks later...

how long (usually) is the bus trip from Mackinaw back to Chicago?? I'm looking at a return flight at 8:35 pm . Will I be back in time??

how long (usually) is the bus trip from Mackinaw back to Chicago?? I'm looking at a return flight at 8:35 pm . Will I be back in time??

screw the bus. take the ferry. hop a shuttle to the airport. rent a car with a buddy. cheaper than the bus and you can smoke whatever you like all the way to chicago.

Much more simple than that... If you aren't from northern lower Michigan (TC and north), you are one.

When did TC become the line of demarcation?

I'd say where the Gold Coast starts or anywhere in the 7&4 viewing area.

For a good steak in Chicago, I like Gibson's.

I'm looking to share a cab from O'Hare to CYC on Friday around 3:30. That is a early as I could get there. :huh:

Also my first Chi-Mac.

I'm on Pinaball Wizard. Pretty excited about the whole thing!!! Duh .......

I'm looking to share a cab from O'Hare to CYC on Friday around 3:30. That is a early as I could get there. :huh:

Also my first Chi-Mac.

I'm on Pinaball Wizard. Pretty excited about the whole thing!!! Duh .......

DO NOT take a cab: Friday afternoon traffic around Chicago sucks bigtime. Take the CTA's Blue Line downtown from the airport. It takes 44 minutes. You can walk to the CYC, or it is a 5 minute cab ride if you have alot of gear. Go to www.transitchicago.com. It costs $2.25 on the train.

You won't be sorry as you blow by all the cars sitting in traffic. And you get to see alot more of the city.

ID

Also my first Chi-Mac.

I'm on Pinball Wizard. Pretty excited about the whole thing!!! Duh .......

DO NOT take a cab: Friday afternoon traffic around Chicago sucks bigtime. Take the CTA's Blue Line downtown from the airport. It takes 44 minutes. You can walk to the CYC, or it is a 5 minute cab ride if you have alot of gear. Go to www.transitchicago.com. It costs $2.25 on the train.

You won't be sorry as you blow by all the cars sitting in traffic. And you get to see alot more of the city.

ID

Good point, thanks.

ROTFLOL............

OMG that's funny!!

btw, still looking for someone to drive our Jeep Wrangler from Chicago up to Mackinaw City or St. Ignace.

Let me know if you are interested, or have anyone that may be. We just need it there by Wed AM.

Thanx,

Jim Calto

Which boats will be meeting up in Pentwater on their delivery home for the Friday night shindig?

Blubber, avoid Pentwater if there is a chance of lighting. I watched it hit the water tower and shead off streamers to every mast including my own. Lost wind and auto.

So who is taking the 10:30 train to Chicago?

Looks like I may be. May come in Thursday night instead, will figure it out today.

A few of us are getting on the train in Grand Rapids. Rumbulls will be passing the bottle around to get the party started.

So who is taking the 10:30 train to Chicago?

Looks like I may be. May come in Thursday night instead, will figure it out today.

A few of us are getting on the train in Grand Rapids. Rumbulls will be passing the bottle around to get the party started.

The only difference is that I'll be on the 730am train to chicago.

A better way to do it is to drive from GR to Mich City and take the commuter train in. More flexible arrival times and such and you can leave your car there for free.

Great idea, except this is a one way....

A better way to do it is to drive from GR to Mich City and take the commuter train in. More flexible arrival times and such and you can leave your car there for free.

Great idea, except this is a one way....

DOH!!! :lol:

I had a crew member hop a mail train from Harrisville to Detroit to make sure he got his ride to Chicago after the

Pt Huron heading for the Chi-mac. The Bulls tried to run him off but he still snagged the ride. I gave him a lot of credit.

When did TC become the line of demarcation?

I'd say where the Gold Coast starts or anywhere in the 7&4 viewing area.

For a good steak in Chicago, I like Gibson's.

me too

Delivering a boat back south afterwards and have a 3-4 day window to do it in. Had considered dropping by Harbor Springs on Wednesday and continuing from there but the plans are not made at all. Never done a sightseeing tour of Lake Michigan and would like to have a little fun with it.

Advice?

Delivering a boat back south afterwards and have a 3-4 day window to do it in. Had considered dropping by Harbor Springs on Wednesday and continuing from there but the plans are not made at all. Never done a sightseeing tour of Lake Michigan and would like to have a little fun with it.

Advice?

You could do that but most of the time its Lealand, Pentwater/Ludington, Muskegon/Macatawa, Chicago if you want to do it in 4 Manageable days.

Beaver Island is an interesting destination.

Some head across to Sheboygan, WI and come down on the Wisconsin Side...

There are a ton of options but the 3-4 day window dictates taking some chunks out of the trip each day.

Guess I should have included that, the boat is being pulled in Muskegon so it's a pretty lax trip to do in 3-4. Been curious about Beaver Island, worth stopping by?

Thanks so far!

Guess I should have included that, the boat is being pulled in Muskegon so it's a pretty lax trip to do in 3-4. Been curious about Beaver Island, worth stopping by?

Thanks so far!

Never been to Beaver myself but there seems to be a group of fun boats that do it regularly.

Harbor is interesting enough but due to the fact that the Bayview is # 2 this year you won't have the typical party in HS when you pull in, that would be a week later. Apparently there is a loosely organized party in Pentwater each year.

Been a while since I have done a delivery, stepping out now.

Enjoy the Race & Delivery. See you in a few weeks... I mean days.

Thanks so far!

Never been to Beaver myself but there seems to be a group of fun boats that do it regularly.

Harbor is interesting enough but due to the fact that the Bayview is # 2 this year you won't have the typical party in HS when you pull in, that would be a week later. Apparently there is a loosely organized party in Pentwater each year.

Defiantly stop at Beaver Island and hit the Shamrock.

Skip H.S. not much going on unless it’s a regatta weekend.

Hit Charlevoix. Plenty of slips since the remodel and 3 bars in stumbling distance.

Thanks so far!

Beaver is great... always look forward to it. I've been stopping by en-route to Harbor Springs for the past few years and going back again this year after Port Huron Mac. Very relaxing, good people, and a # of things to do... from bike riding, golf, swimming, hiking, running from bears, to chasing wild turkey. Pull into the Marina, tidy up, and call the Stoney Acre Grill and Pub to pick you up and bring you back for a great meal and a good pint. Or hit up the Beaver Island Lodge for a fantastic dinner and one of the best sunsets around. The pub across from the Marina, I keep forgetting the name, has a great local atmosphere with a piano to play, and one of my favorite juxebox... full of Cash, Jerry Lee, Jonny M., amongst other legends and some local too... and the thing is free.

Thanks so far!

I hit Beaver as much as possible...sometimes twice a day...

Okay, the joke is over. Beaver is awesome. Leeland is cool. I like the Beaver Wednesday, Leeland Thursday, overnight home on Friday to arrive on Saturday. Port Washington is the stop on the Wisconsin side. When ther eis a window to get accross the lake, take it, that's my advice.

Charlevoix, Leeland, South Manitou has a nice anchorage, cool abandoned farms to hike and sunken ships.

Manitowoc, Wi has a YMCA right next to the harbor and a maritime museum within walking distance

Michigan side is prettier with more numerous boater friendly harbors

Beaver is great and more like a 3rd world country. Laid back does not even discribe it. Walk to the bakery on the north side of the harbor or ask Liam to pick you up and take you to his bar/ resturant. Either that or just hop in a parked car and drive it to where you want to go. Make sure that you fill it with gas and wave at everyone you see.

Leeland is nice, good smoked fish. New bathrooms and docks soon.

Frankfort is nice, good beach and marina.

Manistee is nascar fishing boat haven. It still is nice and convienient as far as distance.

Ludington is great for hanging out in town and so on.

Stay out of Pentwater if there is a lightning storm. It is also about 5 miles out of your way to the East before you round Little Sable.

Skip White Lake cause you are almost to Muskegon.

5hrs Mac to Beaver

6hrs Beaver to Leeland

6hrs Leeland to Frankfort

6hrs Frankfort to Ludington

7hrs Ludington to Muskegon

Beaver is great and more like a 3rd world country. Laid back does not even discribe it. Walk to the bakery on the north side of the harbor or ask Liam to pick you up and take you to his bar/ resturant. Either that or just hop in a parked car and drive it to where you want to go. Make sure that you fill it with gas and wave at everyone you see.

Leeland is nice, good smoked fish. New bathrooms and docks soon.

Frankfort is nice, good beach and marina.

Manistee is nascar fishing boat haven. It still is nice and convienient as far as distance.

Ludington is great for hanging out in town and so on.

Stay out of Pentwater if there is a lightning storm. It is also about 5 miles out of your way to the East before you round Little Sable.

Skip White Lake cause you are almost to Muskegon.

5hrs Mac to Beaver

6hrs Beaver to Leeland

6hrs Leeland to Frankfort

6hrs Frankfort to Ludington

7hrs Ludington to Muskegon

Now that's some Info.

I just committed to race. Never raced it before, never been to Chicago. What should I expect from the race??

There is a rule stating there is no swimming allowed in the harbor at Mackinac.

I am saddened that in recent years, some skippers have been very lax in properly explaining the important significance of this rule, especially to first-time Mackinac race crew, who somehow were allowed to leave the boat upon arrival without upholding long-standing Mackinac race tradition...

I just committed to race. Never raced it before, never been to Chicago. What should I expect from the race??

I am saddened that in recent years, some skippers have been very lax in properly explaining the important significance of this rule, especially to first-time Mackinac race crew, who somehow were allowed to leave the boat upon arrival without upholding long-standing Mackinac race tradition...

Wait until properly docked and other boats have docked around you. Eventually you will become uninteresting to the dock folks. If that fails, have them go in the next morning. I was accidentally let go an entire year and fulfilled my duties after my second race. How very refreshing, 50 something degree water on a 60 something degree morning.

Wait until properly docked and other boats have docked around you. Eventually you will become uninteresting to the dock folks. If that fails, have them go in the next morning. I was accidentally let go an entire year and fulfilled my duties after my second race. How very refreshing, 50 something degree water on a 60 something degree morning.

I agree the rules may be a little much, but they have some merit. A buddy of mine want swimming a few years ago after dark, cut his foot on a zebra mussel and went back to his room to clean it up. Well the fact that the last person to talk to him said he went swimming coupled with blood all over the deck of the boat led people to think the worst, sent the island into a frenzy. He'll never live that one down.

I'd say don't swim alone or after dark would be better rules. People do die all the time when swimming and booze are mixed, just be sensible and have fun.

Oh and soon as the dock folks, DNR, cops are gone.... toss that newb in that water!!

What boat is Dec®apo on? I'd like to see him into the mill pond.....

Quick Silver..................section 5

if I must take a dip, I must. (but I AIN'T going to make it easy on you fuckers B) )

Beaver is a great island town but a short distance, so if you need to make miles the first day...keep going.

I can tell you that you will make it to Leland far after sundown if you sail straight thru to there and do not leave Mackinac Island anytime before 1pm,...and believe me, with our delivery rules harshly enforced,...things are not happening with race mode efficiency.

Pentwater is a fine town and bars right down the block. Ludington requires some walking, not quite the waterfront pubs and stores like other shore towns, and the brewery pub, Jamestown...would not serve us food after 9pm. Kind of dicks about it too...

Lastly, the Park Service enforces raceboats off the dock at noon Wednesday,...so do not miss your ride,...I have done this and it pisses off sailing mates to no end, let alone the guys inside of the raft wanting to hit the road and get going.

Its been a while since I have been to B.I. so Im not 100% on the Shamrock.

The last time I was there, there was a 1 legged whore there.

Wanted to take her below and tie her good leg to the...

but that a hole other story

What boat is Dec®apo on? I'd like to see him into the mill pond.....

Quick Silver..................section 5

if I must take a dip, I must. (but I AIN'T going to make it easy on you fuckers B) )

Sounds like a Challenge... ;)

I hear Leeland is closed?

It is. See the following:

http://www.cycracetomackinac.com/

Look under "The Race" then under "Return Cruise Information".

Re: Leland

"NOTE: Currently, this harbor is closed for a complete renovation/reconfiguration. It is scheduled to reopen in late July. We are in touch with the harbor authorities and will pass along updated information as it becomes available. Call 231-534-4580 for progress updates."

Clicky

I was going to be a Smart Ass and say call em, I did and neither number on the DNR Site is Not working. Here is an e-mail if someone wants to shoot em for info. lelandharbor@chartermi.net

I remember back when I was hitting every Marina for business that Leland was going to receive a grant to Upgrade and Expand their capacity... perhaps it came through.

Info

Defiantly stop at Beaver Island and hit the Shamrock.

Is the Shamrock still around? I got into the best barfight ever in that place back in the 70's.

The Shamrock is still alive and kicking! Great place...

Clicky

I was going to be a Smart Ass and say call em, I did and neither number on the DNR Site is Not working. Here is an e-mail if someone wants to shoot em for info. lelandharbor@chartermi.net

I remember back when I was hitting every Marina for business that Leland was going to receive a grant to Upgrade and Expand their capacity... perhaps it came through.

Info

That's too bad they're closed. Wednesday night is "Goth Night" at the bar nearest the harbor in Leland.

That's too bad they're closed. Wednesday night is "Goth Night" at the bar nearest the harbor in Leland.

Do you borrow Grinders Eyeliner for that freak fest? :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
so how was it Dacapo, did you enjoy our windless expanse of fresh water?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Windless and cold (both air temp and lake). You're not supposed to wear thermal underwear and a wool hat in July.

I was glad to have participated in this race. I saw some sights that were awesome, met some cool peeps, drank a ton of rum, and sailed hard till the finish

I am happy for the skipper of Quick Silver. Getting 4th in fleet was a bit unexpected...especially with the light air and the other boats in our section and the fact that we were mostly a pick-up crew. The crew did an amazing job of keeping the boat moving in the light stuff and sailing hard when a lot of boats started to bar bee que or go for a swim when the wind shut off of the Sabels......

I didn't puke on Mackinac, nor did I step in any horse shit. I did however : manage to get lost twice on that little fucking island, had the Guinness record for longest continuous shit on the island (as soon as I got off the boat), and smacked the ass of a octogenarian ( and see LIKED it ;) ) I believe that I rode in almost EVERY form of public transportation yesterday. Ferry, bus, train, taxi and car. I left Mackinac at 9am (CST) and got to my home in NY around 3:30am (EST)

time to recharge the batteries now.........

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Windless and cold (both air temp and lake). You're not supposed to wear thermal underwear and a wool hat in July.

I was glad to have participated in this race. I saw some sights that were awesome, met some cool peeps, drank a ton of rum, and sailed hard till the finish

I am happy for the skipper of Quick Silver. Getting 4th in fleet was a bit unexpected...especially with the light air and the other boats in our section and the fact that we were mostly a pick-up crew. The crew did an amazing job of keeping the boat moving in the light stuff and sailing hard when a lot of boats started to bar bee que or go for a swim when the wind shut off of the Sabels......

I didn't puke on Mackinac, nor did I step in any horse shit. I did however : manage to get lost twice on that little fucking island, had the Guinness record for longest continuous shit on the island (as soon as I got off the boat), and smacked the ass of a octogenarian ( and see LIKED it ;) ) I believe that I rode in almost EVERY form of public transportation yesterday. Ferry, bus, train, taxi and car. I left Mackinac at 9am (CST) and got to my home in NY around 3:30am (EST)

Congrats Bro, sorry I missed you. Did you go swimming?

It was great sailing (and drinking) with you Mike! Big fun on board QuickSilver and a great crew of varied skills that came together well. Hopefully we get another chance to sail together sometime. Thanks for coming to the lakes and crossing that one off your bucket list.

Kent

It was great sailing (and drinking) with you Mike! Big fun on board QuickSilver and a great crew of varied skills that came together well. Hopefully we get another chance to sail together sometime. Thanks for coming to the lakes and crossing that one off your bucket list.

Kent

thanks. You don't know how thrilled I was with how well we all got along, the outcome was superb and the scenery of Lake Michigan was absolutely grand....not so thrilled about the wind, BUT that's what sailing is all about. Take what you got and sail hard.

Archived