I'm watching 24 hr. le Mans

DaveK

So go to speed tv and look at the open cockpit cars. They have these 2 pointy things above the cockpit. Almost makes it look like a 2 seater style car. One above the driver and the other where a rider would sit. Now don't tell me that it doesn't add windage.... it has to. It's too high up and it looks really really stupid. It's bugging the shit out of me.

I'll go watch something else.

I beleive they do certain races with two peeps, ergo shotgun seat and rollover protection.

Thanks billy.... I just watched Playstation do a pit and driver change. I guess you could add a rider. Certainly roll over protection. I'd say fuk it and buy me a closed cockpit design.. just looks so stupid.

And Rick... yes, all of life's questions are answered here.

Hey Dave, where exactly does the 'Hill Country' start? And end?...........

Now why do you need to know that? I live here and I've never wondered that.

I get it...... all of lifes questions. :P You dog.

Go to google earth and you can see it.

I beleive they do certain races with two peeps, ergo shotgun seat and rollover protection.

Thanks billy.... I just watched Playstation do a pit and driver change. I guess you could add a rider. Certainly roll over protection. I'd say fuk it and buy me a closed cockpit design.. just looks so stupid.

Closed cockpits were taken out by rules a while ago, I think as part of a aero regulations that brought speed down. Along with reducing speed was a belief that the public would be more interested in the racing if they could see actual humans driving the cars. Guess they think it worked.

Closed cockpits were taken out by rules a while ago, I think as part of a aero regulations that brought speed down. Along with reducing speed was a belief that the public would be more interested in the racing if they could see actual humans driving the cars. Guess they think it worked.

The P1 class leaders are both Peugeot's 908 HDi FAP. You can see them

. They are closed cockpit??? Behind them are the 2 Audi's which are open cockpit.

Maybe your thinking of a different class.

It starts at the very end of the flatlands and ends abruptly at the Oklahoma border,

because no self-respecting Texas Hill would ever be caught dead in Oklahoma.

Closed cockpit cars are required to have aircon so the open style saves weight. Also gives better visibility and last year that made a big difference in the rain.

There are a few reasons the driver is offset;

- They can change the side of the driver depending on the circuit rotation

- It makes driver changes easier as someone can stand in the spare driver well to help get the belts off

- With the Audi's they have a large bonnet/hood so being off to one side allows the driver to be lower but still have a decent view of the road in front.

Mez

It starts at the very end of the flatlands and ends abruptly at the Oklahoma border,

because no self-respecting Texas Hill would ever be caught dead in Oklahoma.

Nice post #1000................. :P

. They are closed cockpit??? Behind them are the 2 Audi's which are open cockpit.

Yep, just checked it. I was thinking of IMSA, which became American LeMans, that shows what a dinosaur I am.

Yep, just checked it. I was thinking of IMSA, which became American LeMans, that shows what a dinosaur I am.

You're a fuckin' kid Clean! Wait 'til you are a 25 yo trapped in a 40-14 yo body! M24 too punishing, sticking to the M32 and Etchells......

You're a fuckin' kid Clean! Wait 'til you are a 25 yo trapped in a 40-14 yo body! M24 too punishing, sticking to the M32 and Etchells......

I've subjected my body and mind to about 70 years of life in 37, I reckon. Hey, for those that haven't seen it, I just sat through the entire 1 hour and 40 minute documentary Truth In 24, about last year's Audi victory at Le Mans. It is, by far, the best sports film I have ever seen. I am simply awestruck right now.

Both standard and HD versions are free downloads on iTunes, links here: Check it out.

I've subjected my body and mind to about 70 years of life in 37, I reckon. Hey, for those that haven't seen it, I just sat through the entire 1 hour and 40 minute documentary Truth In 24, about last year's Audi victory at Le Mans. It is, by far, the best sports film I have ever seen. I am simply awestruck right now.

Both standard and HD versions are free downloads on iTunes, links here: Check it out.

You got a better link? I only got trailers to watch...

Or do I need to navigate iTunes?

There's a link on that page that says "download free from itunes." At the moment, that is all they have, and that means you need to have iTunes installed and have an account - but at least it is free. Let me know if you can't do it and I'll figure out a way to post it somewhere.

There's a link on that page that says "download free from itunes." At the moment, that is all they have, and that means you need to have iTunes installed and have an account - but at least it is free. Let me know if you can't do it and I'll figure out a way to post it somewhere.

Thanks Clean...... I fuking figured it out. Yeah, I have iTunes only because I have an 11yo son. Have I used it in a year....NO. So it wants a password. Blank stare :huh:. Tell it to email me and change it. Now my son will have a blank stare next time. I find the movie and say get it. It said no, you have to update your fuking iTune. 20 min. later I'm all good and waiting for a couple of gig to download.

Also, I might have a direct link.

Hope it works

You have to have itunes for the above link to work.

Totally worth the trouble Dave. Get comfy and prepare to see one hell of a film.

Awesome.... hadn't watched it all yet but really good stuff. I just wish Peugeot had bought Chrysler instead of Fiat. My first car was a Fiat 128 but I used to spend time in Israel and we rented Peugeot 205's. They where little bad ass economy cars that have suspension and could corner some amazing stuff. We would play bumper cars through downtown Tel Aviv. No regards to police but we weren't shooting anyone.

So much disinformation which will become sa fact.

Closed cockpits were never taken out by the rules.

They do not have to have aircon but a driver cooling system and windscreen demist is nessacary.

The car is designed to rules that state you have to have space for a passenger but a passenger is never carried during a race.

They do not change which side the driver sits, the cars are way too complicated to do that.

clean might have just checked but IMSA became GrandAm not American Le Mans and the GA cars are built to a totally differrent set of rules than the cars racing this weekend in le Mans.

They do not have to have aircon but a driver cooling system and windscreen demist is nessacary.

The car is designed to rules that state you have to have space for a passenger but a passenger is never carried during a race.

They do not change which side the driver sits, the cars are way too complicated to do that.

clean might have just checked but IMSA became GrandAm not American Le Mans and the GA cars are built to a totally differrent set of rules than the cars racing this weekend in le Mans.

Sorry ro, I was talking a long time ago, before Grand Am. IMSA GTP became IMSA Sportcar became American LeMans, but this was in like the late 90s IIRC. I drove IMSA GTU and EMRA under 2.5 liters for a while when I was young, fast, and nuts.

Sorry ro, I was talking a long time ago, before Grand Am. IMSA GTP became IMSA Sportcar became American LeMans, but this was in like the late 90s IIRC. I drove IMSA GTU and EMRA under 2.5 liters for a while when I was young, fast, and nuts.

I am also guilty of spreading disinformation because imsa has ended up at alms where the rules are pretty much the same as le mans spec ie open or closed prototypes with mega technology, but grand am only allows closed cockpit cars to very strict nascar type rules.

I am also guilty of spreading disinformation because imsa has ended up at alms where the rules are pretty much the same as le mans spec ie open or closed prototypes with mega technology, but grand am only allows closed cockpit cars to very strict nascar type rules.

Anyone still around?-in the US speedtv.com has really good streaming live le mans.

The all white (possibly no decals, etc.) Hall/Chevy Skunk Works vacuum CAN-AM car, driven by Jackie Stewart, the only tiome it ever raced, was a surprise entrtant when I happened to go to Watkins Glen with college pals. It had no wings, but a two cycle motor powered fan sucked it to the pavement. You could see that it was a bit slower in straights, but could just drive any-which-way around other cars in corners. Said to be vacuuming up debris of newly resurfaced track before it DNF'd.

(Seems like CAN-AM and TRANS-AM have lots of supporters. I'd like to see true stock-car racing....pull them off the showroom floor and race them on road courses with lots of corners. No roll bars, nothing...they're full of airbags and safety devices, eh? Which are supposed to work when bubba flips it on the way home from the bar?

Could make it a stimulus deal...government buys all the cars.)

Spent a few years racing Porsche Supercups, pitcrewed 24 hour Daytona, and helped fund the '02 TRG LeMans victory. You would be surprised how similiar sailing and motorsports are in terms of the types of individuals at the upper end, the risks/thrills/need for speed mentalities, and the formulas for success. And of course the babe magnet side. It all fits.

Check out Briggs Cunningham. The original dual sportsman.

Very cool trailer. I'll get to the movie eventually. Sailing has a way to go before we approach the level of marketing that motorsports enjoys. If asphalt was replaced with water, we might have a chance.

Spent a few years racing Porsche Supercups, pitcrewed 24 hour Daytona, and helped fund the '02 TRG LeMans victory. You would be surprised how similiar sailing and motorsports are in terms of the types of individuals at the upper end, the risks/thrills/need for speed mentalities, and the formulas for success. And of course the babe magnet side. It all fits.

Very cool trailer. I'll get to the movie eventually. Sailing has a way to go before we approach the level of marketing that motorsports enjoys. If asphalt was replaced with water, we might have a chance.

Did you ever meet or know of Steve Alarcon? Big Porsche guy and owns Johnson Alignment over here. They've been doing all of my alignments for 30 years now. Real nice person and knows his shit..........

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/member.php?u=15318

Georgetown northern city limits to the north.

Southern San Antonio limits to the south.

I35 on the east.

Go west till it gets flat.

Anything else from the Kalifornian?

Did you ever meet or know of Steve Alarcon? Big Porsche guy and owns Johnson Alignment over here. They've been doing all of my alignments for 30 years now. Real nice person and knows his shit..........

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/member.php?u=15318

Been there. Nice shop. Good reputation.

What was the LeMans documentary [or was it Hollywood?] that I remember seeing as a kid in the '70s? Was it just entitled 'LeMans'? I remember it being pretty cool . .

The movie was "LeMans" with Steve McQueen. 1970.

About 17 lines of dialogue, the rest pure incredible race scenes. Fascinating stories about the creation of that movie. They entered a 911 in the real race just to get footage and rented 4 917's with pro drivers including Derek Bell to do the close ups. Steve McQueen drove one of them for real as he had considerable seat time in the pro racing circuits during the 1960's. I have the DVD and watch it about once a year.

What was the LeMans documentary [or was it Hollywood?] that I remember seeing as a kid in the '70s? Was it just entitled 'LeMans'? I remember it being pretty cool . .

About 17 lines of dialogue, the rest pure incredible race scenes. Fascinating stories about the creation of that movie. They entered a 911 in the real race just to get footage and rented 4 917's with pro drivers including Derek Bell to do the close ups. Steve McQueen drove one of them for real as he had considerable seat time in the pro racing circuits during the 1960's. I have the DVD and watch it about once a year.

I was looking for clips about the movie. But then I came across this. 79 people died at the 1955 race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtb5eDUuQw

I was looking for clips about the movie. But then I came across this. 79 people died at the 1955 race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtb5eDUuQw

This tragedy resulted in the exit of Mercedes from the racing scene for 30 years. If you go to the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart, there is a racing section that includes the Gullwing accident of 1955 and then picks up with the Merecedes built Indy engines in the 1980's.

A stark reminder of the both the laws of physics and the primitive safety systems in place back then.

Speaking of NASCAR, Fallece Pardo just checked out last week racing in Mexico. Very un-good as he was only 33.

Here's a semi-graphic vid for those so inclined..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FXFFXRUTZ8...feature=related

I believe that is due to poor track design. I've never seen a wall like that in the USA.

Sorry it happened.

Speaking of NASCAR, Fallece Pardo just checked out last week racing in Mexico. Very un-good as he was only 33.

Here's a semi-graphic vid for those so inclined..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FXFFXRUTZ8...feature=related

I believe that is due to poor track design. I've never seen a wall like that in the USA.

Sorry it happened.

+1

Archived