• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ras Al Khaimah

One of the seven United Arab Emirates.

You heard it here first B)

(well, most of you :rolleyes: )

:ph34r:

Google map link of this location or it doesn't exsist! ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

First, thank you for the google map links. PRICELESS! ;)

Second, I have not been paying much attention to the "guess the venue" thread so how did you guys come to this site? Is their a backstory that can be shared on here? Please?

And Third, I cannot help but notice how close this venue is to the Straight of Hormuz. Ok it is not really close, but close enough.......

Ras Al Khaimah

Congrats Stinger!

I assume you've found a silver bullet before making a post like this...(my guess is hotel reservations or transport arrangements)

So what's the next challenge? Bin Laden? Jimmy Hoffa? North Vietnam's nuclear program?

Maybe CZ 2.0 and DZ 2.0?

Second, I have not been paying much attention to the "guess the venue" thread so how did you guys come to this site? Is their a backstory that can be shared on here? Please?

More like a back-stabbing story. You would love it!

Cock Tease! ;)

I am sure there is a great story behind it. Hell I can only hope someone writes a book about all the behind the scenes crap that I am sure has gone on over the last 2 years.

Okay, and will GGYC agree to that venue, or go back to court?

I have no idea, but if one were to speculate then maybe when it comes to consent the devil will be in the details, more than in just the location.

But let's assume this is going down in RAK as planned.

We need to dig up everything we can about it. Travel connections (Dubai, probably?), airlines (Emirates and Etihad?), hotel accommodations (are there different budget levels?), entertainment for nights and for the days off in between (sailing? diving? desert exploration? ancient ruins? ... women?? lol) and - of course - where to throw an Anarchy Party!!!

I suppose it depends on how long they've known, if they know at all, that Alinghi plan to hold the AC there. Then again, based on the reasons for the last court visit, I would say yes they are going back to court. Venue dispute is just as important, if not more, than a rules dispute. We shall see....

This is yet another interestering piece of info Stingray.

I wonder though to whose advantage this will really be.

Does Erne$to not fully understand what the primary business is for Oracle, and who some of the biggest clients are?

Yo - Erne$to - you ever looked at this little company and dug around in there to see some common connections.

http://www.geoeye.com/CorpSite/corporate/b...-directors.aspx

Perhaps it's time to cue up the old classic progressive rocker Alan Parsons Project "Eye in the Sky"

Does Erne$to not fully understand what the primary business is for Oracle, and who some of the biggest clients are?

Yo - Erne$to - you ever looked at this little company and dug around in there to see some common connections.

Perhaps it's time to cue up the old classic progressive rocker Alan Parsons Project "Eye in the Sky"

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but: what does that have to do with Ras al-K?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but: what does that have to do with Ras al-K?

Not a stupid question. I was wondering the same thing. :)

Does it involve a bit of blackmail and/or manipulation with a certain BYM reporter? :lol:

Does it involve a bit of blackmail and/or manipulation with a certain BYM reporter? :lol:

No idea. The Stinger is playing this one close to his vest. Oh wait, does The Stinger wear a vest? ;)

Everything.

So this place is not southern hemisphere, will BMW want to race there? If you were Larry - would you? I'd want a venue that I can optimize to and wouldn't care which hemisphere - as long as if I won, the defender wouldn't sue that the venue was illegitimate...

We need to dig up everything we can about it. Travel connections (Dubai, probably?), airlines (Emirates and Etihad?), hotel accommodations (are there different budget levels?), entertainment for nights and for the days off in between (sailing? diving? desert exploration? ancient ruins? ... women?? lol) and - of course - where to throw an Anarchy Party!!!

Better not let Clean know where it is. US prisons are luxury compared to ME ones and nobody will bail him out of one of those double quick.

You already know the answer to that one .......

Yep, it's not Deed compliant.

An America's Cup featuring a land-locked nation, sailed in monster multihulls, held at a place called Ras Al Kaimah... can it get any weirder?

For sure!!! Consider the logisitics of a team named Oracle who is a huge defense contractor setting up a infrastructure even though for 6 months in UAE. What a juicy target on land & in the Gulf.

Add to that the issues associated with visas, work permits, business permits, bucksheesh & etc. There is no guarantee that BOR will get their boat in the water for the race or be able to have prep time at the venue.

Once again, a part of the Deed has the potential to be used as a competitive advantage by the Defender.

Better not let Clean know where it is. US prisons are luxury compared to ME ones and nobody will bail him out of one of those double quick.

Do we have enough SA'ers to charter a flight?

I am having images of Bill Murray (as Hunter S. Thompson) on the candidate's "crew plane" of the 1972 nixon presidential campaign from "Where the Buffalo Roam".

(about 1:10).

So, should we start placing bets on whose big motoryacht or support vessel gets hijacked by pirates on the way to the race?

I'd volunteer in a heartbeat to man a .50 cal on the bow of LE's Yacht.

post-11246-1248892845_thumb.jpg

I have no idea, but if one were to speculate then maybe when it comes to consent the devil will be in the details, more than in just the location.

Connection from Germany: Worse than VLC. First go to Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt, then Dubai then RAK. Airline: Lufthansa. Cost for a 7 days package holiday, early (now!) booking, no free cancelation: approx. 900 €.

Out of pure self-interest: I hope that BOR goes to court for VLC! ;)

IF, and that is a big IF, this is EB's pick, he will be sanctioned by the court and it will not be pretty. Fly suspects that the cup will be escheated..........from the cheat...........

I have no desire to attend an AC event in RAK. Lonely Planet describes the town and "dusty and ramshackle"

Connection from Germany: Worse than VLC. First go to Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt, then Dubai then RAK. Airline: Lufthansa. Cost for a 7 days package holiday, early (now!) booking, no free cancelation: approx. 900 €.

Out of pure self-interest: I hope that BOR goes to court for VLC! ;)

From Vancouver it looks like airfare to VLC is about $500 cheaper & 1/2 the travel time. Hotels in VLC probably quite cheaper too.

Spectator fleet for AC in UAE???

post-56-1248894868_thumb.jpg

Washington Marine Group, which bought the three ferries at a 2003 auction, has sold them to Abu Dhabi Mar

The PacifiCat fast ferries, which sank a provincial government, are heading for new waters.

The Washington Marine Group, which bought the three ferries at a 2003 auction, has sold them to Abu Dhabi Mar, an offshore firm that plans to export them from Canada. The United Arab Emirates company is known for its yacht building and remodelling of older vessels.

Details of the transaction weren’t released Tuesday, but the BC Shipyard Workers Federation says the sale shows the BC Liberal government fleeced taxpayers.

“Today’s sale for what we believe is in excess of $50 million shows that the fast ferries had far more value than the BC Liberal government sold them for — meaning they shortchanged taxpayers to score political points,” said union president George MacPherson.

The three ferries will be transported from Vancouver harbour by heavy-lift, deep-sea vessels starting next month.

cont'd

Spectator fleet for AC in UAE???

post-56-1248894868_thumb.jpg

Washington Marine Group, which bought the three ferries at a 2003 auction, has sold them to Abu Dhabi Mar

The PacifiCat fast ferries, which sank a provincial government, are heading for new waters.

The Washington Marine Group, which bought the three ferries at a 2003 auction, has sold them to Abu Dhabi Mar, an offshore firm that plans to export them from Canada. The United Arab Emirates company is known for its yacht building and remodelling of older vessels.

Details of the transaction weren't released Tuesday, but the BC Shipyard Workers Federation says the sale shows the BC Liberal government fleeced taxpayers.

"Today's sale for what we believe is in excess of $50 million shows that the fast ferries had far more value than the BC Liberal government sold them for — meaning they shortchanged taxpayers to score political points," said union president George MacPherson.

The three ferries will be transported from Vancouver harbour by heavy-lift, deep-sea vessels starting next month.

cont'd

Ah, the famous "FastCat Fiasco". I always wondered what happened to those boats. The upside is that BC is now home to some of the best quality aluminum boat building on the NA continent. Borne out of that failed government program no doubt.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

just get to the barracuda and stop ya complaining. RAK has the best booze shop in the gulf, sky diving, a drag strip and a water park with go-carts what more do ya want.

you blokes don't travel much hey? better get that passport application in lol

IF, and that is a big IF, this is EB's pick, he will be sanctioned by the court and it will not be pretty. Fly suspects that the cup will be escheated..........from the cheat...........

I have no desire to attend an AC event in RAK. Lonely Planet describes the town and "dusty and ramshackle"

Yep - I'm sure the photo's don't lie.

Me, I'm trying to be optimistic just in case. Maybe with a bit of digging we will find it a very different, interesting place? It must be the best time of year to choose, if you had to?

just get to the barracuda and stop ya complaining. RAK has the best booze shop in the gulf, sky diving, a drag strip and a water park with go-carts what more do ya want.

Bingo, that's what I want to hear :)

Good diving too? Is that the ref to barracuda?

On passport application, are there visa requirements to worry about?

Yep - I'm sure the photo's don't lie.

Me, I'm trying to be optimistic just in case. Maybe with a bit of digging we will find it a very different, interesting place? It must be the best time of year to choose, if you had to?

no it's a dusty ramshackle place. don't go there. they don't want you there. you will hate it. tell everyone dont go

Yep, no stamp from Israel in the passport. And you need a visa. Hard penalties for drug possession. Be also careful with medicine, may be regarded as drugs.

Yep, no stamp from Israel in the passport. And you need a visa. Hard penalties for drug possession. Be also careful with medicine, may be regarded as drugs.

Don't you need an NOC anymore?

What's that?

thats bullshit. you can have whatever stamps you want.

no need for a visa for most countries, visit visa for 30 or 60 days on arrival just like most other places.

ugly chicks will need to wear full coverage of their face

What's that?

No Objection Certificate.

PS. Question answered above, times have clearly changed.

This is Section 2 & 4 of the Canadian Travel Report for UAE -

2. WARNINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

There is no Official Warning for this country.

United Arab Emirates - Exercise high degree of caution

Most Canadian visitors to the UAE do not experience problems.

There is a constant and high terrorist threat throughout the Arabian Peninsula. From time to time, reports emerge that terrorists plan to attack specific locations in one of these countries. Targets could include government buildings, public areas, tourist sites and Western interests. Heightened security measures are currently in place and may be reinforced upon short notice. Canadians are strongly advised to maintain a high level of vigilance and personal security awareness at all times. Caution should be particularly exercised in areas known to be frequented by foreigners (commercial, public, touristic). Canadians should monitor local developments and follow the advice of local authorities. Canadians are also advised to register and keep in contact with the Consulate of Canada in Dubai or the Embassy of Canada in Abu Dhabi, as well as to carefully follow messages issued through the Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) service.

There have been a number of consular cases of Canadians imprisoned in the UAE with regard to possession, use, and trafficking of illegal drugs, including drugs used outside of the UAE and still traceable in the blood or urine. Canadians should also know that prescription or over-the-counter drugs that are legal in Canada (e. g. codeine) may be restricted in the UAE. See Section 8 for more details

4. ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS

It is the sole prerogative of each country or region to determine who is allowed to enter. All countries or regions have special requirements for persons intending to reside for extended periods (usually more than 90 days) or who plan to work, study, or engage in non-tourist activities. To obtain information on specific entry requirements, contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) to be visited. Violations of entry and exit requirements may result in serious penalties.

The following information on entry and exit requirements has been confirmed with the authorities of the United Arab Emirates. However, these requirements are subject to change at any time. It is the traveller's responsibility to check with the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates for up-to-date information.

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit the United Arab Emirates. Canadians do not require a visa prior to entry to the UAE. Upon arrival, Canadians will receive a 30-day entry permit which may be extended for a limited amount of time.

Foreigners planning to work or reside in the UAE must undergo medical tests including for HIV. Those found to be HIV positive will be immediately deported by the UAE authorities. HIV certificates issued by foreign medical authorities are not accepted.

Regional Travel

Canadians may face significant delays when trying to enter or transit through the country if their passport contains a valid or expired Israeli visa or stamps.

Canadians travelling in the Middle East are advised that their passports could come under increased scrutiny by immigration authorities, and the authenticity of their passports could be questioned due to incidents of possible misuse. Canadians experiencing problems are encouraged to contact the nearest Canadian government office or Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada in Ottawa for advice and assistance.

What's that?

No Objection Certificate.

PS. Question answered above, times have clearly changed.

Yeah, this is strange, because our Foreign Office has on its website that an Israel stamp in the passport will lead to rejection of entry. And that the visa is given at the entry (at least to EU citizens, dunno about US, NZ or Canada), but this visa is needed.

BTW, ugly blokes will need to wear a caftan and a keffieh :P .

Yeah, this is strange, because our Foreign Office has on its website that an Israel stamp in the passport will lead to rejection of entry. And that the visa is given at the entry (at least to EU citizens, dunno about US, NZ or Canada), but this visa is needed.

BTW, ugly blokes will need to wear a caftan and a keffieh :P .

Used to be the case, but maybe not anymore. You used to need an NOC before you could even get on the plane, but I guess the desire to attract tourists has changed all that.

that an Israel stamp in the passport will lead to rejection of entry.

Huh; that is weird. I thought it was just The Swiss, Blacks, Germans, Palestinians, French, Madoff clients, and Iranians that hated the Jews. Now, we come to learn the folks in the UAE don't fancy them either. One learns something everyday.

that an Israel stamp in the passport will lead to rejection of entry.

Huh; that is weird. I thought it was just The Swiss, Blacks, Germans, Palestinians, French, Madoff clients, and Iranians that hated the Jews. Now, we come to learn the folks in the UAE don't fancy them either. One learns something everyday.

Well, you should do your homework and arrive in the 21st century (and take it to PA).

I know, I know, fuck off newb! I normally would, but this is just too good. Three things strike me about this location if it ends up being the venue.

1. The Iranian issue:

- The dominant wind direction in the UAE in February seems to be north or east, depending on which windfinder.com station you use.

- A 20 mile course to the east puts the windward mark 15-20 miles from Abu Musa island.

- From the US State Department travel warnings: "The UAE and Iran have had a long-standing dispute concerning jurisdiction of Abu Musa. Fishing or sailing in these waters may result in seizure of vessels and detention of passengers and crew in Iran."

Perhaps this is less of an issue for a Swiss flagged vessel than it is for one called "USA"?

2. HIV Testing: if the AC team employees are be considered to be working in the country, they would be subject to an HIV/AIDS test, required for work or residence permits; testing must be performed after arrival. A U.S. HIV/AIDS test is not accepted. How many team members will object to having their blood drawn? Was this requirement in force for the tennis players in the February 2009 tennis tournament? (If not, perhaps the country waives this requirement for special events).

3. The Religion issue: the UAE is not exactly friendly towards Jews. I do not know how many Jews are in either the BMWO or Alinghi organizations, but I would guess that there are more than a few. Will they be denied entry? Have their movements restricted?

Now … have at it!

drift fest....

average monthly windspeed (mph) for Feb :

09 - 4

08 - 4

07 - 4

06 - 5

And what kind of variation should we expect around those averages ?

As we know, sailing in China olympics were not in monthly average conditions.

Those kind of windspeeds would not benefit A5, so I guess if this is the venue that daily variations should be large then.

Can SA intel find more about the wind conditions ?

drift fest....

09 - 4

08 - 4

07 - 4

06 - 5

Those kind of windspeeds would not benefit A5, so I guess if this is the venue that daily variations should be large then.

Those conditions would make the A5 sailors feel at home!

- The dominant wind direction in the UAE in February seems to be north or WEST, depending on which windfinder.com station you use.

- A 20 mile course to the WEST puts the windward mark 15-20 miles from Abu Musa island.

Sorry - correcting my own idiot error. Now I am going to tell myself to fuck off...

drift fest....

09 - 4

08 - 4

07 - 4

06 - 5

Those conditions would make the A5 sailors feel at home!

How many times has CZ already taken their mast down due to too much wind ?

I thought that's typical for lake geneva, large variations of windspeed. The old seahorse article about LeBlack brings up the same claim on large variations and being capable to cope with that.

Also with the bow up trim A5 has, it's dead slow in so light winds compared to DZ and they know that. If that was their plan they wouldn't have any lifting S-foils on board as they would have no use at all, and A5 would be lighter & faster with simple daggerboards in such ghosting conditions.

In my opinion A5 is clearly optimised for boatspeeds when lifting boards are useful (20kts boat speed give or take some), but only just to avoid too much seaway, so flat aft sections of the hull work just the same as buoyant type windsurfer boards do above hull speed. Pretty much same bottom shape there too when forward part is lifted by S-foils. Add the allowance of waterballast in the pic as a further indication of not selecting ghosting conditions.

Still trying to put a brave and optimistic face on this.

They do have plans to invest big money into resorts, I'm just not sure how much is still a mirage.

One is this big Mina Al Arab resort, which includes a harbor.

Animation video and other stuff here

A photo from some time during 2008:

post-17804-1248912025_thumb.jpg

Israel will have attacked Iran's nuclear sites by then so the whole Middle East will be in a shitstorm. So much for a boat race (or drift fest as it were). Hope they have a plan B location. Valencia anyone?

:lol::rolleyes::lol::)

Good video here

Program: Wide Angle

Episode: The Sand Castle

Travel to the United Arab Emirate of Ras al-Khaimah as His Highness Sheikh Saud solicits top European architects to carry out his grandiose dream of a new capital city in the middle of his desert kingdom. See inside an unfolding drama in which agents of East and West struggle to arrive at an architectural vision both worlds can embrace.

Ruh Roh George!

Can someone please make a new Topic? This could be big.

(gotta run, late for dinner appt)

I fixed Stingray's link.

Good video here

Program: Wide Angle

Episode: The Sand Castle

Travel to the United Arab Emirate of Ras al-Khaimah as His Highness Sheikh Saud solicits top European architects to carry out his grandiose dream of a new capital city in the middle of his desert kingdom. See inside an unfolding drama in which agents of East and West struggle to arrive at an architectural vision both worlds can embrace.

Great find SR but it only works if your in the USA as it's PBS restricted -

Try this one at YT

There is an interview of Dr. Massaad which SR pointed out has close ties to Swiss & you know who

So, should we start placing bets on whose big motoryacht or support vessel gets hijacked by pirates on the way to the race?

The guests? How about the competitors! Better guard your multi's lads, the pirates will need practice before they strike the real target!!

Gawd, could you imagine the ransom demanded (and I'll take a Prada purse to go with that, thanks)!

I know, I know, fuck off newb! I normally would, but this is just too good. Three things strike me about this location if it ends up being the venue.

1. The Iranian issue:

- The dominant wind direction in the UAE in February seems to be north or east, depending on which windfinder.com station you use.

- A 20 mile course to the east puts the windward mark 15-20 miles from Abu Musa island.

- From the US State Department travel warnings: "The UAE and Iran have had a long-standing dispute concerning jurisdiction of Abu Musa. Fishing or sailing in these waters may result in seizure of vessels and detention of passengers and crew in Iran."

Perhaps this is less of an issue for a Swiss flagged vessel than it is for one called "USA"?

2. HIV Testing: if the AC team employees are be considered to be working in the country, they would be subject to an HIV/AIDS test, required for work or residence permits; testing must be performed after arrival. A U.S. HIV/AIDS test is not accepted. How many team members will object to having their blood drawn? Was this requirement in force for the tennis players in the February 2009 tennis tournament? (If not, perhaps the country waives this requirement for special events).

3. The Religion issue: the UAE is not exactly friendly towards Jews. I do not know how many Jews are in either the BMWO or Alinghi organizations, but I would guess that there are more than a few. Will they be denied entry? Have their movements restricted?

Now … have at it!

Points one and two you can keep. Your point three is actually pretty interesting. I'm Jewish myself. As is Larry Ellison.

At the very least he'll be feeling uncomfortable competing in the UAE where Shahar Peer was prohibited entry from entry to the Dubai WTA event last year.

Points one and two you can keep. Your point three is actually pretty interesting. I'm Jewish myself. As is Larry Ellison.

How can being a Jew even start to become 'an issue' unless you show an Israeli passport upon entry? Larry must surely be US? He was certainly born here, in NY.

How can being a Jew even start to become 'an issue' unless you show an Israeli passport upon entry? Larry must surely be US? He was certainly born here, in NY.

I didn't say it was "an issue". I said it would be interesting and he'd feel uncomfortable in an Arab country which is not sympathetic to Jews, last time I looked.

3. The Religion issue: the UAE is not exactly friendly towards Jews.

That's a highly debatable statement. However along with most Arab nations, it is not too welcoming to Israeli passport holders. As an aside, on a visit to Saudi Arabia I met a Jewish Australian contractor who had been resident there for several years. He evidently liked the place, or at least the tax situation.

Quite so. It's not a religious issue, but a political one to do with the creation of Israel.

However, anywhere around the Gulf, a Swiss team is going to be a WHOLE lot more popular than an American one.

3. The Religion issue: the UAE is not exactly friendly towards Jews.

That's a highly debatable statement. However along with most Arab nations, it is not too welcoming to Israeli passport holders. As an aside, on a visit to Saudi Arabia I met a Jewish Australian contractor who had been resident there for several years. He evidently liked the place, or at least the tax situation.

In the PBS video I posted a link to (apparently not available from outside the US) The Sand Castle, that guy Dr Massaad is basically at the heart of everything that happens in Ras Al Khaiman. Peelman's poll about the venue is worded a bit confusingly but you get the general drift, and it's a valid point if you look at the situation there. Massaad is in with EPFL, Cardis, the biggest hotel, the only factory, the only yacht building facility, all property development, and has had the Sheik's ear for 20 years already. Anyway, they also mention the international Tax Free Zone he set up. I figure the Swiss are into that kinda thing too... ;)

Dubai International Boat Show Confirms World Leading Superyacht Builder

AMELS, one of the most famous superyacht builders in the world, confirms participation at Dubai International Boat Show.

30 July 2009

Dubai, United Arab Emirates: One of the most famous superyacht builders in the world has confirmed its place at the Dubai International Boat Show.

AMELS is one of the first companies to secure a place in the new exclusive Superyacht Pavilion, an exclusive area within the heart of the exhibition for leading superyacht builders and shipyards to meet with owners and high networth individuals.

"The Middle East is becoming an increasingly important market to us, and the Dubai International Boat Show provides us with excellent access to our customer base," said Victor Caminada, Marketing Manager, AMELS.

"We have a long tradition of building the most exclusive superyachts for senior people in the Gulf region, and by showcasing our talents and experience at Dubai Boat Show we are able to develop a strong personal relationship with the marine community. We are very much looking forward to playing an integral role in the success of the new Superyachts pavilion at next year's event," he added.

Open from 9-13 March 2010 at Dubai International Marine Club (DIMC) - Mina Seyahi, Dubai International Boat Show will once again reconfirm its position as one of the top five marine leisure events in the world. Up to 400 boats will be on display at next years' event from every part of the industry from boat-builders and designers through to marine equipment, suppliers and service providers.

The find out more about the new opportunities at the Dubai International Boat Show, visit www.boatshowdubai.com.

-Ends-

Open from 9-13 March 2010 at Dubai International Marine Club (DIMC)

Abu Dhabi Boat Show February 25-27 2010.

There will be considerably more exhibition space and several changes in format for the second edition, enabling the organisers to showcase many more world-famous brands of superyachts even more effectively to the thousands of high net-worth visitors expected.

Mark your calendars. Another show this November too.

Ras Al Khaimah

Open a map before suggesting a southern hemisphere venue. Last time I checked the entire persian gulf was in the northern hemisphere.

I still think the best windless venue in the Southern Hemisphere is near Rio, Brazil.

Luiz Schechter

Ras Al Khaimah

Open a map before suggesting a southern hemisphere venue. Last time I checked the entire persian gulf was in the northern hemisphere.

I still think the best windless venue in the Southern Hemisphere is near Rio, Brazil.

Luiz Schechter

I think SR is well aware that RAK lies in the NH. That actually may become the biggest problem for an AC in RAK. In addition, it is one of the main discussion topics here.

Alinghi's Proposed Venue for the AC 33 DoG Match Is ...

Anywhere they want ...

would they go to dubai?

They will go to court.

According to this interview (transgoog) EB will chose a place in the NH and expects beeing taken to court. So it will not be Valencia.

Quote:

EB:We have been in court twice and I fear that we are also a third time to do.

Q:Why?

EB:We will certainly choose a place in the northern hemisphere because both we and our opponent live in the north. According to the Deed of Gift a host location north of the equator is not allowed in February. Therefore, we expect a new appeal of BMW Oracle. That was the past strategy of the Americans and they will probably not change now.

have been in Dubai several times, although last time was about 5 years ago ...

first time to go (must have been 1994 or 5 ) I was effectively asked before going if I had any Israeli stamps in my passport, if the answer would have been positive it would have been an absolute no-go, theoretically at least (read on)

at that moment also you needed an invitation, you needed proof that you had a hotel booking, otherwise it was also a no-go (no free backpacking trips at that moment).

next time to go the Israel stamp thingie was still on, but the invitation thing was not checked anymore

and next I wouldn't know anymore, in that the way they checked became slightly more relaxed, you still had the fast lane for those that had a local waiting for them, and the long lane for all other plebs, but it started to look more and more like just any other place.

could check what the situation is now, but in fact, this Israeli stamp issue is a non-issue ... if I would have had an Israeli stamp in my passport I would have been going after a second passport or a new passport, in worst case all it takes is you saying to your local passport admin that you lost your passport.

Have met jews in Dubai, don't think that is the issue.

And anyhow .... if you're rich, they'll wellcome you, it's not the fact that he's a circumcised dick that will do it, it's the fact that he' a rich dick that will open the gates.

Titty bars ... no way

Booze ... possible but preferably out of sight or you might get into all sorts of problems (o.k. in the hotels or restaurants etc...)

Drugs ... better not

Russian hookers : plenty

Tussle over plan for Mid-East America's Cup

By Stuart Alexander

Friday, 31 July 2009SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE

The America's Cup is to be staged next February in the Middle East for the first time in its 158-year history if the holder, the Swiss team Alinghi and the Societe Nautique de Geneve have their way.

A deal has been done in the Swiss canton capital with little-known Arab Emirate of Ras al-Khaimah but it is sure to be opposed by the challenger, the San Francisco-based BMW-Oracle.

Related articles

America's Cup clash returns to Supreme Court

Ras al-Khaimah, at the southern end of the Persian Gulf, has a total population of about 300,000 people, over 80 per cent. of whom live in its one city, is ruled by Sheikh Saqr bin Mohammad al-Qassimi, and has a land area of about 650 square miles.

Alinghi boss Ernesto Bertarelli is convinced that an earlier ruling by the New York Supreme Court overturned the provisions of the late 19th century deed, drawn up by the New York Yacht Club and setting down the rules of the event, including a stipulation that the event could only be staged in the northern hemisphere from May to October and in the winter months had to be staged in the southern hemisphere.

In that earlier ruling, Judge Herman Cahn had said that the best of three races starting on 8 February could be staged in Valencia “or any other location”. Alinghi interprets this liberally; Oracle, headed by software billionaire Larry Ellison, interprets this as meaning any other location under the terms of the deed or that mutual consent is a pre-requisite of any variation..

Alinghi, under another requirement to give at least six months' notice to a challenger of the race course venue, is due to make its choice known no later than 8 August, though the announcement is expected earlier. The defenders have already won the right to drop some of the normal rules of sailing which will, consequently, allow the use of an engine to drive hydraulic systems, rather than crew-power, to control the sails.

All of this comes before another evidentiary hearing before Judge Shirley Kornreich, scheduled for Monday 10 August, at which the argument over the venue may have been heard. It is expected that Oracle will immediately appeal to the court to block the Middle East venue.

Alinghi has built a much lighter catamaran than the 90-foot trimaran being tested off San Diego by Oracle. It implies the choice of a known light air race track, something which could not be guaranteed off Valencia in February. The Alinghi boat is undergoing initial trials on Lake Geneva before being airlifted by a Russian-built helicopter through the Grand Bernard Pass in the Alps to the Cantieri Amico yard in Genoa, Italy, for secondary trials before then shipping to Ras al-Khaimah.

Tussle over plan for Mid-East America's Cup

By Stuart Alexander

Friday, 31 July 2009SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE

The America's Cup is to be staged next February in the Middle East for the first time in its 158-year history if the holder, the Swiss team Alinghi and the Societe Nautique de Geneve have their way.

A deal has been done in the Swiss canton capital with little-known Arab Emirate of Ras al-Khaimah but it is sure to be opposed by the challenger, the San Francisco-based BMW-Oracle.

Thanks, just catching up now and saw this. Better late than never, Stuart..

Here's the link

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general...up-1765436.html

I'm not suggesting this is the case with UAE, but what would stop Ernie from making good with some southern-hemisphere dictator to keep BMWO personel out, and then announce venue there? Everything else square, except the gov't of the country (which Ernie would've bought basically) denies entry to all BMWO people, especially the boat. If race starts in territorial waters, and their navy is sitting at the international waters line, what recourse is there? I have to think the Court would call BS on this, but given all the tactics, is this so far fetched? At a minimum, pick a country that will hold BMWO's boat in customs and search it top to bottom till the match is over?

I'm sure the Court would kick it, but I can't think of exactly how it's contrary to the strick language of the deed, other than that pesky "sportsmanship" part...

would they go to dubai?

They will go to court.

According to this interview (transgoog) EB will chose a place in the NH and expects beeing taken to court. So it will not be Valencia.

Quote:

EB:We have been in court twice and I fear that we are also a third time to do.

Q:Why?

EB:We will certainly choose a place in the northern hemisphere because both we and our opponent live in the north. According to the Deed of Gift a host location north of the equator is not allowed in February. Therefore, we expect a new appeal of BMW Oracle. That was the past strategy of the Americans and they will probably not change now.

Wait, you mean the Americans are going to get upset when you break a clear rule spelled out in the Deed of Gift? Imagine that! Cue Marian with insane statement about the Deed now....

I'm not suggesting this is the case with UAE, but what would stop Ernie from making good with some southern-hemisphere dictator to keep BMWO personel out, and then announce venue there? Everything else square, except the gov't of the country (which Ernie would've bought basically) denies entry to all BMWO people, especially the boat. If race starts in territorial waters, and their navy is sitting at the international waters line, what recourse is there? I have to think the Court would call BS on this, but given all the tactics, is this so far fetched? At a minimum, pick a country that will hold BMWO's boat in customs and search it top to bottom till the match is over?

I'm sure the Court would kick it, but I can't think of exactly how it's contrary to the strick language of the deed, other than that pesky "sportsmanship" part...

I think KingMonkey makes a good point with his topic title for the thread

"The Cut of Alinghi's Jib, Now is the time to judge the defender"

A lot depends on if Ernesto really does want to see it won "on the water."

I suspect that he does want this race to happen, he is certainly pulling out the stops and pressing the PR buttons as best he can.

But he is obviously conflicted by being in position as both the team that has to defend, and also apparently as the one calling the shots as the trustee who should ideally be a separate entity. He needs to be real careful in this respect, because to defend or win the Cup you have to not only win that race on the water, you also have to be sure you didn't break the rules or cheat in the process of doing so. SNG/Alinghi do ~not~ have the carte blanche that some people got the impression of, in the wake of what JSK ordered yesterday. It was actually a fairly narrow, strict, interpretation on the boats being propelled by sails alone.

On the venue, people have suggested her statement both ways but I like to think we are headed to Valencia because that is the default. The original Cahn Order made it the default in case SNG did not select "any other" venue by August 8, but maybe it will be the default for also in case there is an irreconcilable Deed argument over it?

Notice that she used the word "the" and not "a":

In referring to BO's letter, she says " stated that the SNG would announce the northern hemisphere location for the 33rd America's Cup on 6 August."

? Maybe it's nothing, but there ~is~ a syntactical difference.

I suspect that he does want this race to happen, he is certainly pulling out the stops and pressing the PR buttons as best he can.

But he is obviously conflicted by being in position as both the team that has to defend, and also apparently as the one calling the shots as the trustee who should ideally be a separate entity. He needs to be real careful in this respect, because to defend or win the Cup you have to not only win that race on the water, you also have to be sure you didn't break the rules or cheat in the process of doing so. SNG/Alinghi do ~not~ have the carte blanche that some people got the impression of, in the wake of what JSK ordered yesterday. It was actually a fairly narrow, strict, interpretation on the boats being propelled by sails alone.

On the venue, people have suggested her statement both ways but I like to think we are headed to Valencia because that is the default. The original Cahn Order made it the default in case SNG did not select "any other" venue by August 8, but maybe it will be the default for also in case there is an irreconcilable Deed argument over it?

In quoting BO's letter, she says " stated that the SNG would announce the northern hemisphere location for the 33rd America's Cup on 6 August."

semantical

In quoting BO's letter, she says " stated that the SNG would announce the northern hemisphere location for the 33rd America's Cup on 6 August."

I'm a bit late in on the game here but it seems possible to me that SNG have put the venue out to tender and they are waiting to receive final bids from more than one potential venue. RAK seems to be promulgated as favorite but SNG did not rule out Valencia recently so perhaps a bidding war is in progress? Maybe BMWO will get their Valencia venue after all? Time to call Valencia Town Hall? Are you there Larry?

But he is obviously conflicted by being in position as both the team that has to defend, and also apparently as the one calling the shots as the trustee who should i