Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Cheezilla's New Ballast Solution

Alinghi have claimed that they won't be using water ballast, but today's spy photos confirm that they WILL be using a new type of moveable ballast solution perfected just last week. Called "Ballast The Hutt," the new system uses the heft of multi-millionaire grifter *********** to create righting moment as well as to infuse Alinghi with needed capital for the affair. George Lucas is considering legal action against Alinghi...

Pics courtesy of Anarchist Boba Fett.

Ballast.jpg

Butterball wasn't happy that his secret was revealed. Not happy at all!

FU_Brad.jpg

At last. Someone aboard marginally bigger in girth than BB.

At last. Someone aboard marginally bigger in girth than BB.

Not for long as that photo for "all for friendly competition" BB seem to show.

Not sure what Ernie is doing to him but boy... if I was BB I would stay away from him before Thanksgiving dinner...

Anyway he is as in shape as he needs in an automated yacht. Shit, "round" is a shape!

joke aside... this dude need to do something. How can he sail when he is that fat? He has one of the sexiest boat ever(numbers) but cant lose some weight?

i just cant believe alinghi let hem on CZ.... if this dude goes overboard , he is done.

joke aside... this dude need to do something. How can he sail when he is that fat? He has one of the sexiest boat ever(numbers) but cant lose some weight?

i just cant believe alinghi let hem on CZ.... if this dude goes overboard , he is done.

Agreed. But at bleast it shows the boat is a lot stronger than some on here seem to think :lol:

if this dude goes overboard , he is done.

Nah, he'll float like a cork!

Depend on wich side he falls i guess... if its on his face im not sure he is able to turn around to breath

geesh, he makes BB look slim! ...and EB a poster boy for some world hunger organization!

Dude needs to give Jared a call.

BTW who is ***********? I know he is dirty rich and owns Numbers, but what is his company and how did he make his money? When I Google him I come up with links to a sword swallower - I can't believe that sword swallowing is that lucrative!

BTW who is ***********? I know he is dirty rich and owns Numbers, but what is his company and how did he make his money? When I Google him I come up with links to a sword swallower - I can't believe that sword swallowing is that lucrative!

I used advanced search and found out he likes eating meat pies

Alinghi have claimed that they won't be using water ballast, but today's spy photos confirm that they WILL be using a new type of moveable ballast solution perfected just last week. Called "Ballast The Hutt," the new system uses the heft of multi-millionaire grifter *********** to create righting moment as well as to infuse Alinghi with needed capital for the affair. George Lucas is considering legal action against Alinghi...

I'm guessing thats why they keep the heavy lift helicopter on stand-by, getting him on and off is gonna be a hell of a job

I've heard he is proud of his size. I was visiting with some blokes that did the construction on Numbers, and they said they had to do a mock up of the cabin entrance to make sure he would fit. And then did another one of the shitter to make sure it could hold him. I wouldn't worry about how he looked as much as I would about his health.

I've heard he is proud of his size. I was visiting with some blokes that did the construction on Numbers, and they said they had to do a mock up of the cabin entrance to make sure he would fit. And then did another one of the shitter to make sure it could hold him. I wouldn't worry about how he looked as much as I would about his health.

Do your contacts have the brand details of the heads they used? I can't imagine it is a standard Jabsco

By the way, I hope he didn´t eat Simon Daubney: he wouldn´t sleep for a week or something (by the way, that guy did came back well under the radar).

Dan has always been pretty hefty but from the photo seems to have exploded in girth since I last saw him about 18 months ago. I wonder if he hasn't developed diabetes or something. Or perhaps it's just fork and mouth disease!

Maybe he sat on the heads, and that was the last they saw of them...

Yep - I could imagine my Jabsco hiding in there

Ok - I keep having the Fat Bastard quotes pop into my head....

Steps aboard and says - "First things first - where is your shitter, I've got a turtle head pokin' out!"

Then after a look around the nets looks at EB and says "I'm bigger than you and higher on the food chain! Get in my belly"

multi-millionaire grifter ***********

really ? or is this in the same vein as Ernie being a drug dealer ?

but at least the mystery of the Swellegant Swiss' initial ass-down aspect can be explained now, as well as the helicopter pix showing a fairly unbalanced cat, that man was inside all along, he probably came to visit during the construction, climbed inside, got blocked, no way to get him out until now ... it can also shed a whole new light on the liquid ballast they will be using if he was inside all that time.

I wouldn't worry about how he looked as much as I would about his health.

Totally agree... losing weight should alway be about health, not looks.

Maybe B.J. Porter could give him a hint or two ?

Do your contacts have the brand details of the heads they used? I can't imagine it is a standard Jabsco

Raritan...

post-11311-1250862886_thumb.jpg

Part of it was in a company he founded that made a fortune off student college loans in the US. At some point he got booted from the top but then I think re-took it a couple years later. Interesting guy, quite flamboyant too. That should narrow it down for you, plus 'sailing' and 'numbers'.

At first I though this pic was shopped but apparently it's real? I hope his heart is strong, that's a lot of body there - wow. Must be a medical condition, yikes.

Steps aboard and says - "First things first - where is your shitter, I've got a turtle head pokin' out!"

Then after a look around the nets looks at EB and says "I'm bigger than you and higher on the food chain! Get in my belly"

Fuck that would have been a funnier front page story than mine. "I'm gonna eat yer baby!"

Fuck that would have been a funnier front page story than mine. "I'm gonna eat yer baby!"

Wow! what a fucking pig. Are you sure he is not American?

You guys should get a life. It is great that you are all enthusiastic about sailing and this America's Cup, but don't make personal attacks on someone you have never met! Put you efforts into something that is fun and exciting, get outside and actually go sailing!

You guys should get a life. It is great that you are all enthusiastic about sailing and this America's Cup, but don't make personal attacks on someone you have never met! Put you efforts into something that is fun and exciting, get outside and actually go sailing!

FUCK OFF NOOB!

You must be seriously insecure with yourself. Support sailing not bashing.

no... its just a ''rite of passage'' for you..

fuck off!

What a tasteless thread – Ok I'm from Europe – things seem to be different here ....

An nobody of all you experts has ever put a commend on the big design mistake they did on alinghi5, (did you ever notice it?) – I wonder whats worse – beeing fat or beeing blind ...

Would you care to elaborate on the design mistake?

An nobody of all you experts has ever put a commend on the big design mistake they did on alinghi5, (did you ever notice it?)

The engine? :rolleyes: .....:lol:

"Personal attack" ? How is it a "personal attack" to call him fat? He's clearly fat. If we didn't know what he looked like, and called him fat, THAT would be a personal attack. That's like saying it would be a personal attack to call Jessica Alba an attractive woman.

– I wonder whats worse – beeing fat or beeing blind ...

being Swiss..................

Would you care to elaborate on the design mistake?

Alinghis wavepiercing nose is constantly at least about 3 feet above the water even when the windward hull is in the air – so they loose length of waterline and consequently the flow of water is not ideal when touching the water with the bottom side of the hull. Maybe I'm wrong but at least thats what I see and what I think about the design. All the rest is pretty impressive ....

In the latest video (Alinghi copyrighted but not on AlinghiTV for some reason) it looks much better. You can hear someone comment on it (Ed B maybe) saying how it is using all of its waterline, exactly as it zooms in on the (port side) lee bow.

I think it is more a case of loading it up in a breeze than a design problem.

I think that they have been playing around with the ballast. When they decide to ballast forward of the beam, you will find it riding correctly. This may be just to play around with trim, sailing profile and learning how the boat handles in different setups.

I think it is more a case of loading it up in a breeze than a design problem.

I'm not sure – we will see ...

And since I'm not half an expert as most of you I will remain silent and watching ...

Do you have a link to that video?

No argument there and it will likely be an evolution going forward anyway.

Here is the comment I was remembering, at about 2:05 into it someone says "It is using all its waterline". Some decent views of it doing the same starts again at 4:00

http://valenciasailing.blogspot.com/2009/0...g-in-genoa.html

What do you think?

And what do you think the foils are there for with the shape giving an upward lift? This obstination about LWL is just funny...

Now try to explain the speed of a foiled Moth using your LWL longer is faster thing...

Your "hull speed" formula does not apply. The cz hulls are 15:1, or more. That is length to width. There is no hull speed limitation for a form like that. You will notice in the images and video that the wave train does not form in the way that a wider form would have.

The speed limitation for cz hulls are more about distribution of volume, and surface condition. Both water and hull surface.

Power and weight are also factors.

Bigger motor=faster!

The hull speed theory applies on a displacement hull, e.g. a monohull, you can through that formula out of the window by the time you plan over the surface or slice through water where you can get 2 to 3 times the speed of wind, I recon that A5 did about 25-28 knots in 8 to 10 TWS, not as fast as BOR but in different conditions.

Even with a flying moth the formula counts:

_________

√ length [m] x 4,5 = Hullspeed [km/h]

That means: The Hullspeed of a flying moth is about 8.2 km/h (4.3 knots) – I doubt that the foils will produce enough lift when the boat is still that slow ...

You cant play tricks on physics ...

BS, explain this then with your formula....

The narrow hull is not planning, or planing, it is not limited by a theoretical "hull speed".

Very interesting discussion in the in fact needless "New ballast solution"-thread, started from BOR-supporters with the intro "new system uses the heft of multi-millionaire grifter Dan Meyer" and a foto of a very round man on the A5-trampolin (look by using the "TOP"- tab on the bottom every post)

In fact both speed potential (displacement and planning) are so different that for example considering the use of foils, the maximum hull speed does not have to be attained to have the hull starting lifting therefore that "limitation" is a non issue, and the reason of the long bow is more to do with wave piercing and avoiding pitch hole... I still believe that the slightly low stern aspect is about trim and well into the possibility of playing with some of the parameters (been ballast, precise position of the foils, and even position of crew, without to speak of new mast 20 % longer)....

cd cd, You are incorrect.

There is no theoretical hull speed for a 15:1 length to beam ratio hull. The narrow hull does not need to be planing to exceed the limit described by any formula.

The narrow hull does not have the same wave train.

The "hull speed formula" does not apply.

There is no image of dz, or cz, planing.

The images that show the lee bow out of the water, when the boat is at speed, are explained by:

In the case of dz, either a ocean swell has caused bow to lift clear, or the leeward foil is contributing enough lift to alter the trim of the hull, or both.

In the case of cz, the leeward foil is acting as a lifting surface. I have not seen an image of cz encountering ocean swell.

If you think about it for two seconds, instead of assuming that what you read once about displacement hulls applies to every case, you will find that a hobie 16, which will not plane, will exceed it's calculated "hull speed" every time the sails are sheeted, in little more than a few knots of wind.

Try to be open to new ideas. The reason catamarans and trimarans exist at all is: A narrow hull does not have a theoretical "hull speed".

cd cd there is a thread intitled Cz trim

You are so right and we are talking about the same thing – that formula is only counts for a displacement hull. And until the "hullspeed" every hull on the world is a displacement hull. There is no difference if it is 2:1, 15:1 or 30:1.

The two goals when designing a boat is:

1) To have maximum hullspeed as long as the boat is slow – thats why todays boats have a vertical stern

2) To keep the amount of energy needed to go past the hullspeed as low as possible. Here hydodynamics, surface, hullshape, weight and so on come into consideration.

And concerning this jhc's post about Bigger motor = faster is true.

But why should anyone to built a fast boat ignore Point No1?

Because that is the speed when you need the extra energy to get your boat planing – and the faster you already are the better ...

I'm sorry – my english is not good enough to do better... I hope you understand what I'm trying to say

The term hullspeed is unfortunate and what your formula is really finding is the speed, in water, of waves with a wavelength of the given LWL dimension.

You are so right and we are talking about the same thing – that formula is only counts for a displacement hull. And until the "hullspeed" every hull on the world is a displacement hull. There is no difference if it is 2:1, 15:1 or 30:1.

The two goals when designing a boat is:

1) To have maximum hullspeed as long as the boat is slow – thats why todays boats have a vertical stern

2) To keep the amount of energy needed to go past the hullspeed as low as possible. Here hydodynamics, surface, hullshape, weight and so on come into consideration.

And concerning this jhc's post about Bigger motor = faster is true.

But why should anyone to built a fast boat ignore Point No1?

Because that is the speed when you need the extra energy to get your boat planing – and the faster you already are the better ...

I'm sorry – my english is not good enough to do better... I hope you understand what I'm trying to say

The term hullspeed is unfortunate and what your formula is really finding is the speed, in water, of waves with a wavelength of the given LWL dimension.

I think this has all been covered before.

Please read this article Clicky by Duncan MacLane (someone who actually knows about this stuff) then comment.

Agreed. But at bleast it shows the boat is a lot stronger than some on here seem to think :lol:

They brought him on board for accelerated stress testing and to calibrate the upper end of the load sensors because the winds have been so light.

There are just so many noobs in this thread....

Fuck off, all of you, Fuck off and show us your/your sisters/your wife's tits!

Wheres the old SA welcome?

New blood or new identities?

Typical Hamble sailor - what a twat!

Those were the good ol' days!