Chasing the Dog and Squid

limeydal

Ok dont have 700HP ,but thought it would be fun to give it a go anyway !

Got an early start with the sun trying to break through.

Seems Squid and his crew were raring to go.

Gotta go eat , but post more later

cheers Dal

post-22096-1257989107_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257989117_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257989128_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257989134_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures Dal!!

I bet your tired! :ph34r:

Where did U go ! Didn't even wave ;)

Nice atmosphere out there today; enjoyed the company.

Watch out though, going to post a shot that exposes the Squid and his crew!!!

cheers Dal

post-22096-1257991682_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257991693_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257991699_thumb.jpg

Amazing photographs.

On the Scarab, must be hard to hear DZ over the sound of that bad boy!

Did you see JS crossing from wheel to wheel, can you describe it?

We shut down the engines a few times and let it sail by real close...Very hard to hear it if it was running...we wondered if it was even on

Couple of detail shots and then ;

Is this the Spy?

Or just a timid fan who diidn't want to join the party?

He always kept his distance , so Squid and I got him in a pincer movement!

No escape!

After that the Oracle guys went over and talked to him, so perhaps we will hear the scoop.

cheers Dal

PS. If it is a Spy, can we shoot him, as I need that RIB !!!!!!

post-22096-1257993669_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257993688_thumb.jpg

post-22096-1257993705_thumb.jpg

Amazing photographs.

On the Scarab, must be hard to hear DZ over the sound of that bad boy!

Did you see JS crossing from wheel to wheel, can you describe it?

I got some shots of that. It isn't very exciting really. He merely walks briskly - not even 'jogging' pace. It only takes about 5 seconds in all.

The scurvy Squid team !

Thanks Dal!!!

Is this the Spy?

No escape!

After that the Oracle guys went over and talked to him, so perhaps we will hear the scoop.

cheers Dal

With a radar and permanent mount GPS antenna.............I would say yes.....THEY'RE SPIES!

Is it just me or is that boat flying 2 hulls and fucking hauling ass in wind that most of us wouldn't even bother trying to sail in????

This is correct. In one of the photos, they are on glass that you could barefoot waterski on - totally flying two. It takes NO EFFORT at all to get two hulls up. I am pretty sure it can be done in 2knts of wind.

Is it just me or is that boat flying 2 hulls and fucking hauling ass in wind that most of us wouldn't even bother trying to sail in????

This is correct. In one of the photos, they are on glass that you could barefoot waterski on - totally flying two. It takes NO EFFORT at all to get two hulls up. I am pretty sure it can be done in 2knts of wind.

In that case I can honestly say that I would GLADLY give my left testicle to be anywhere near that boat, much less on board with the wing...abso-fucking-lutely amazing!

In that case I can honestly say that I would GLADLY give my left testicle to be anywhere near that boat, much less on board with the wing...abso-fucking-lutely amazing!

You're awfully young there, 'Whippa' Snappa', so you may need to hang on to that left one...............

An old guy like me............................I can afford it. :P

You're awfully young there, 'Whippa' Snappa', so you may need to hang on to that left one...............

An old guy like me............................I can afford it. :P

Screw it, I'll overnight Fedex both of them for the chance to be on the beast! God knows there shouldn't be any more of me running around anyway.... :blink:

Well that explains the flapping cloth we saw yesterday - its the mylar smoothing gasket between the flap sections.

did you see if they were peeling them off completely or re-sticking them.

also looks like at least initiall they are sailing with a safety forestay.

We shut down the engines a few times and let it sail by real close...Very hard to hear it if it was running...we wondered if it was even on

I wonder if its set up as a compression pump into the same hydraulic reservoir that the pedestals used to drive, and only comes on when the pressure drops below a certain point.

Well that explains the flapping cloth we saw yesterday - its the mylar smoothing gasket between the flap sections.

I wonder if its set up as a compression pump into the same hydraulic reservoir that the pedestals used to drive, and only comes on when the pressure drops below a certain point.

Why do you think the forestay isn't primary structure? Or do you see two forestays?

With the pivots in the mast step, it must have a forestay at all times. The mast is not freestanding in any direction.

Yes the guy was up there peeling them off and sliding them down to the deck

cheers DAl

Even the dolphins came to check her out !

Awesome dolphin shot! Gee, look how cool Eddie looks in that one. I am pretty sure this will be his wallpaper for the next 10 years. hey Dal, how much for the full resolution raw?

Is this the Spy?

No escape!

cheers Dal

I know the make of that RIB.

Is this the Spy?

With a radar and permanent mount GPS antenna.............I would say yes.....THEY'RE SPIES!

The GPS antenna is next to the windscreen. That looks like a little ultrasonic anemometer on the forward mast. They're collecting wind data and tracking DZ's speed with radar.

Is this the Spy? Um no, he is not a spy.

He always kept his distance

How polite of him.

so Squid and I got him in a pincer movement!

How impolite of you.

If it is a Spy, can we shoot him

Probably not a very good idea.

as I need that RIB !!!!!!

They are nice RIBs. Too bad AquaPro were sold off and their larger RIB line discontinued.

Awesome dolphin shot! Gee, look how cool Eddie looks in that one. I am pretty sure this will be his wallpaper for the next 10 years. hey Dal, how much for the full resolution raw?

Just JPEG I'm afraid :(

How about a trade for the shot of my RIB you took ! Dont get many of me on the move .

Will PM you with my email. Have some others he may like that I kept off the web; (have to be careful you know )

cheers Dal

How about a trade for the shot of my RIB you took ! Dont get many of me on the move .

Will PM you with my email. Have some others he may like that I kept off the web; (have to be careful you know )

cheers Dal

Now that is how pro photographers are supposed to work. Together. Great shots from both of you, hats off.

How polite of him.

How impolite of you.

They are nice RIBs. Too bad AquaPro were sold off and their larger RIB line discontinued.

Krispy,

just a fan eh!! Funny they usually come equiped with a camera ,not a boat load of specialized electronics ;)

Still love the RIB !; just can't convince the missus to fork out more money than we paid for our house (a few years back mind you)

Think my buddies at Raymarine will like the shot though :lol:

Hmmmm; can't seem to spot the vessel reg number either. Registered abroad maybe ?? ;)

cheers Dal

Now that is how pro photographers are supposed to work. Together. Great shots from both of you, hats off.

I told you all here 15 times - I am not a pro.

Well you take pretty damn good photos for a regular douche with a camera.

cheers Dal

Me Neither ! :P

It's those who think they are, that cause the issues !!

Why do you think the forestay isn't primary structure? Or do you see two forestays?

With the pivots in the mast step, it must have a forestay at all times. The mast is not freestanding in any direction.

I think he means the backup lashings over/around the forestay turning eye/block that leads back to the ram - not that it doesn't need a forestay.

How polite of him.

How impolite of you.

According to some photos in another thread, at least two of them are employed by the Alinghi design team.

And that is most certainly an ultrasonic anemometer on the pole taped to the leaning post. Odd bit of kit for the average fan to tape to their rib.

And a touch further back !

Ant on a Wing !

cheers Dal

Wow, that photo put things into proportions. Thanks for your great work!

post-22096-1257998329_thumb.jpgEven the dolphins came to check her out !

Is it an optical illusion / photographic distortion, or are they inclining the wing to windward in that pic (posted 05:00 PM).

I thought it may be a technique to generate vertical lift, reduce displacement similar to a windsurfer / sailrocket etc.

alinghi suicide dolphins! eek!

With frickin' laaaasers on their heads...

/pinkie to mouth

MS

Hey don't laugh. The place where they train dolphins to do nasty military stuff is tucked in there right under Point Loma.

Dal,

the killer shot is the one of America and USA! I'd like to have it in my desktop any chance of posting a higher res here on the forum?

Anyway, thanks a ton!

While not as nice a shot as Dal's, a very similar image has been prepared and put in the Wallpaper thread. You might try that. Dal makes his living sellling photographs, if you want the good stuff - you'll have to pay. However, if you are a cheap ass, you can use my shots for free.

Haa hAa

No just make a few bucks out of "touristy" shots and tour groups.

Pays the gas bill to keep me on the water. ;)

Have a full time "real job" so this gets me out in the fresh air at weekends and the occasional day off.

Happy to oblige, give me a little time

cheers Dal

PauloAS

here you go, (Hope you dont mind; I took the support boat out ! )

cheers Dal

I love this shot!

It may not be the prettiest pic of the boat around, but the symbolism of America and USA sailing together is great for any cup historian.

DZ is the true heir to America in so many ways.

That's very cool, thanks for the video too - first time I recall you posting one?

I like this GMR shot too

"Good Morning America"

2rm9ime.jpg

What a great photo!

Sting,

just bought a small waterproof HD flash drive ,camcorder to keep with me.

Made the mistake of trying to use the zoom too much and not really stable enough.

Got a few clips though and looks though it will be Ok at wide angle

Straight out of the box, so havn't got used to it yet.

That GMR is always stealing my shots ! ;)

PS. Great shot ! Love the red skies we occasionaly get in Dago.

Had a really stunning Sunset once when the Star was coming back in from a sail.

Never forget that;

cheers Dal

Sting,

just bought a small waterproof HD flash drive ,camcorder to keep with me.

Made the mistake of trying to use the zoom too much and not really stable enough.

Got a few clips though and looks though it will be Ok at wide angle

Straight out of the box, so havn't got used to it yet.

That GMR is always stealing my shots ! ;)

PS. Great shot ! Love the red skies we occasionaly get in Dago.

Had a really stunning Sunset once when the Star was coming back in from a sail.

Never forget that;

cheers Dal

Very nice picture, especially in HD.

You found a waterproof one? Must not have been at Best Buy, I looked for one tonight and got just a normal JVC instead. But I got that 4 year warranty too, so I'll be finding out how well it likes salt spray :)

Archived