“COVID Is over” thread deleted

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
I would assume that if you have had COVID, then you have an immune system which could recognize a whole host of antigens beyond just the spike protein or whatnot specifically simulated by the vaccines.

That way your immune system would be primed to recognize more potential variants of the original strain.

But again, there is no way to boost that immunity without reexposure to said antigens, ie another infection.

A big advantage of the vaccine, besides immunity without infection, is boosting immunity with another shot.

I got mine two weeks ago and felt nada, just the usual sore injection site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Damn. I had just put effort into some responses and it’s been vaporized like a bicep.

Suffice to say, Vaccine good, COVID infection bad. 

Conservatives are respectable and worthy political participants, Trumplicans are annoyingly loud and empty-headed.

Did BB or anyone else get flicked? Was this a disinformation purge?
I am in favor of freedom of speech, after all I have the right to not listen.

OTOH rights come with responsibilities. The classic tag line about free speech is that it does not cover yelling FIRE! in a crowded theater. Deliberately spreading covid misinformation is worse than that.

Trumpublicans are empty-headed but that's not a reason to flick them. They are deliberately destructive, and will work at destroying public good will, mutual trust, and any respect for boundaries of speech or behavior. At some point, it is justified and even necessary to flick them.

- DSK

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
BC vaccination rate: 87.4% for age >= 12 (we just approved kids 5-11 on Monday)

USA vaccination rate 69% for age >= 12.

That's a pretty big difference. Our covid new daily cases are shrinking steadily (~6/100,00)

USA = about 94,000 cases/day or ~28/100,000 and increasing steadily. It's going to be a long winter in some parts of the US.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist

That's a pretty big difference. Our covid new daily cases are shrinking steadily (~6/100,00)

USA = about 94,000 cases/day or ~28/100,000 and increasing steadily. It's going to be a long winter in some parts of the US.
Only if you’re unvaxed.  Good article in the Atlantic today about the COVID pandemic ending with a whimper.  It’s not over yet but it’s waning quickly.  My parents are boosted and don’t worry about COVID.  I visited my best friends mom the other day.  She’s 93 and frail but sharp as a tack.  Similarly boosted and doesn’t worry about COVID (as she said dryly - “I’ve lived a long time and seen worse”).

We are well into the COVID is endemic stage. Unfortunately, not all people are in the same stage of acceptance and everyone has different comfort levels wrt risk taking.  Some may want to continue masking and social distancing and we should understand and support these people even as we live our lives with less appetite for caution.

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
chum said:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/10/19/dennis-prager-covid/

“I have engaged with strangers, constantly hugging them, taking photos with them knowing that I was making myself very susceptible to getting covid,” he said. “Which is — indeed, as bizarre as it sounded — what I wanted, in the hope I would achieve natural immunity and be taken care of by therapeutics.”

The 'to own the libs' part is an addition. 

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
I would assume that if you have had COVID, then you have an immune system which could recognize a whole host of antigens beyond just the spike protein or whatnot specifically simulated by the vaccines.

That way your immune system would be primed to recognize more potential variants of the original strain.

But again, there is no way to boost that immunity without reexposure to said antigens, ie another infection.

A big advantage of the vaccine, besides immunity without infection, is boosting immunity with another shot.

I got mine two weeks ago and felt nada, just the usual sore injection site.
I quoted it in the other thread but that's the conclusion of the Israeli study.  Natural Immunity seemed to be better than vaccine alone in general but Natural Immunity + booster was best, particularly in the case of Delta.  The first round of COVID was pretty mild in many people - their immune system didn't have to work very hard - and so their protection against Delta wasn't that spiffy.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I have a friend in NY (early 40's, healthy, not fat) who just got it. She is fully vaccinated and felt really shitty for 3 weeks+. She said "its the worst I've ever felt". Doesn't sound like fun.

If rates are rising in the US for the past 3 weeks, how is it "over"?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
I have a friend in NY (early 40's, healthy, not fat) who just got it. She is fully vaccinated and felt really shitty for 3 weeks+. She said "its the worst I've ever felt". Doesn't sound like fun.

If rates are rising in the US for the past 3 weeks, how is it "over"?
This isn’t rocket science.  It’s not over for the unvaxed.  For the vaxed it’s like living with influenza 

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
Folks who are vaccinated who are still using masks and doing social isolation to the degree they feel consonant with their perception of risk are simply doing their best to soldier on while protecting themselves and their community.

Sounds like good civic behavior and a justifiable approach to modern life during a pandemic. 

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
I quoted it in the other thread but that's the conclusion of the Israeli study.  Natural Immunity seemed to be better than vaccine alone but Natural + booster is best, particularly in the case of Delta.  The first round of COVID was pretty mild in many people - their immune system didn't have to work very hard - and so their protection against Delta wasn't that spiffy.
I disagree strongly that acquired/natural immunity is measurably better than vaccination-acquired immunity to covid. the claims that it is 13X better is impossible to sustain with any kind of publicly available statistics.

Easy way to test this: go to your favorite source of covid statistics, look for how many people get covid twice. Then compare this to the percentage of vaccinated people get breakthrough infections.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33718968/   looks at reinfection rates and rate of serious illness in reinfection, concludes that acquired/natural immunity is 82% effective... ie not as good as vaccine.

This study is Kaiser-Permannente, in Cali https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8373524/     looks at reinfection and serious illness (hospitalization), and reinfection rate around 1% and hospitalization rate around 0.1%

These numbers alone suggest strongly that if acquired/natural immunity is better, it's not A LOT!! better, as in 10X and certainly not 27X as a RWNJ neighbor claimed last week. Why do Trumpalos hate-hate-hate the vaccine so much?

Anyway, here's a fairly readable source https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2021/08/breakthrough-infections    that says the rate of breakthrough infections... people sick enough to seek treatment, as a percentage of the number of the vaccinated, is 0.02% (in other words, vaccines are the ones that are ~ 10X better)

I would encourage anyone to look at multiple credible sources of medical info, not cherry-pick or surf Parler

And this is a "freedom of speech" issue in regard to the responsibility that accompanies any right.

- DSK

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
If it wasn't for the fact that the willfully ignorant are still killing responsible people, I would say go for it dumbfucks. Maybe the unvaccinated should be required to only socialize with like minded people. We could build camps with fences to keep the vaccinated people away from them. I would be happy if my tax money went to something like that. They can have all the guns, ammo, bleach and veterinary medications they want. Freedumb.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
The conclusion of the Israeli study is that the best possible protection is afforded by either a) getting the vaccine or b) recovering from covid and getting the vaccine.  It also says that recovering from the covid is better than the vaccine by itself.  That may be because the only variant that has survived in Israel given the high rate of vaccination is Delta, which causes a lot more breakthrough infections than the original virus.  Either way, getting the vaccine is indicated, so it is rather a moot point.  Nobody is going to go out and deliberately try to get infected.

Let move this discussion to the Covid threads, where it belongs.  Covid shouldn't be political anyway, though it has become so in the US.  It is not political in other countries, such as Canada. 
Actually, it's just bullshitters bullshitting.  If you look, the numbers of actual breakthroughs they have are so low that doing statistics on the numbers isn't really... Kosher. 

benwynn

Super Anarchist
quod umbra said:
Shame BB got tossed. Not because I like or appreciated his offerings, I wished he would stick to facts.....but because everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Exactly.  He was entitled to his opinion, he expressed it, and he got flicked.  And, wherever he is, he is still entitled to his opinion

At the Thanksgiving dinner table, he is entitled to the opinion that one of the guest's wife looks like a whore.  If he expresses it, he is also entitled to emergency room care.

We are all entitled to our opinion. Whatever the consequences.

Ncik

Super Anarchist
For the bullshitters...clearly the pandemic is over.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

image.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/cumulative-excess-deaths-per-million-covid?country=MEX~PER~FRA~BRA~USA~GBR~BGR~ISR~AUS

image.png

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

Or very short, depending on how stupid and fanatical you are.